Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Both LAB and Ukip drop 4% in latest Ipsos-MORI poll with th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Both LAB and Ukip drop 4% in latest Ipsos-MORI poll with the Greens jumping 5

Given recent polls today’s May Political Monitor from Ipsos-MORI will come as something as a relief to Labour. They are down 4% but still in the lead.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Looking at Ipsos Mori satisfaction ratings, it's impressive that Cameron has the highest satisfaction rating out of all the leaders (almost the best net satisfaction as well), this being 9 years into his leadership of the Tories and 4 years into being PM.

Or does it just reflect badly on the shower he's up against?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    Are we really here this time?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Interesting to still see. Nick Cleggs satisfaction ratings falling further still.
    How much more can they go?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Shadsy any chance of making that market on Sutton Council? I really think a strange result is in play there..
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Applying the L&N model to IPSOS we have:-

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 10.0%
    Con seat lead 100 seats

(10000 Monte Carlo simulations)

Chance of Tory vote lead: 100.0%
    Chance of a Tory seat lead: 99.9%

Chance of a Hung Parliament:13.8%
    Chance of a Tory majority: 86.2%
    Chance of a Labour majority: 0.0%

A large shift to the Tories, odds-on for a majority for the first time since January 2012. Now of course it's just one poll, although the L&N model does takes account of poll variation.

Dire for Labour...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965
    timmo said:

Interesting to still see. Nick Cleggs satisfaction ratings falling further still.
    How much more can they go?

23% less his mum...
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,407
    RodCrosby said:

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 10.0%
    Con seat lead 100 seats

A large shift to the Tories, odds-on for a majority for the first time since January 2012. Now of course it's just one poll, although the L&N model does takes account of poll variation.

Dire for Labour...

I'm not familiar with the model and mechanics you refer to but it looks like it is forecasting a better result next time than last. This seems interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    Rod, I haven't been here for ages...what is L&N, and can wee see your workings?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2014
    FPT:
    shadsy said:

Some new markets for the Euros up at Ladbrokes shortly.

GB Vote share
    UKIP 29%
    Lab 27%
    Cons 24%
    LD 9%
    Green 7%
    An Independence From Europe 1.5%

5/6 Over or Under available on each.

That makes 96% for the sum of UKIP/Con/Lab/LD/Green. That looks too high: last time it was 82.2%. Admittedly the collapse of the BNP (6.3% last time) means we might expect the percentage accounted for by the top five to be higher this time than last time, but not to the extent of taking others (including the BNP) down from 17.8% to just 4%.

So: the value IMO is on the low side of at least one of those bets. I would guess Labour.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235
    RodCrosby said:

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 10.0%
    Con seat lead 100 seats

Dire for Labour...

Do you really believe this? I don't and I would be quite happy if it were true.

• Options
    MaxUMaxU Posts: 87
    RodCrosby said:

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 10.0%
    Con seat lead 100 seats

Dire for Labour...

Very interesting, can I ask three questions:

1. why have you based this forecast on the MOri poll rather than ICM (which people, rightly or wrongly, regard as the "Gold Standard")?
    2. What were the figures from last month? I appreciate you probably posted them but I am not on here all the time so would be really grateful if you could post the comparators.
    3. I would also really appreciate some indicator of spread around the central forecast.

Thanks very much
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Lennon asked on the other thread where the missing 3% went between April and May, and it seems to have been +1% for the SNP and +1% for BNP - but I may be looking at the wrong April data table, as it has Labour on 37%, which would put them down only 3% on the month.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "A more interesting change has been the 4% fall-back in Ukip’s Westminster voting share. This combined with declining ratings for Farage might just be a pointer to the Euros."

It's not mirrored by any previous/subsequent polls.

Westminster VI, UKIP.
    Ashcroft: 15%, ICM: 15%, IPSOS 11%, YouGov 14%, YouGov 15%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#2014

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

...although the L&N model does takes account of poll variation....

As I understand it the L&N model has only previously been used for making predictions three months ahead of the general election, rather than one year ahead, so that's nine months of poll variation that you are ignoring.

It's a bit daft to take a model and use it in a context it was never designed for.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

Lennon asked on the other thread where the missing 3% went between April and May, and it seems to have been +1% for the SNP and +1% for BNP - but I may be looking at the wrong April data table, as it has Labour on 37%, which would put them down only 3% on the month.

Thanks - that was my conclusion as well when I looked.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    edited May 2014

FPT:

shadsy said:

GB Vote share
    UKIP 29%
    Lab 27%
    Cons 24%
    LD 9%
    Green 7%

That makes 96% for the sum of UKIP/Con/Lab/LD/Green. That looks too high: last time it was 82.2%. Admittedly the collapse of the BNP (6.3% last time) means we might expect the percentage accounted for by the top five to be higher this time than last time, but not to the extent of taking others (including the BNP) down from 17.8% to just 4%.

So: the value IMO is on the low side of at least one of those bets. I would guess Labour.
    It cant be unde/over the figure listed as that would leave "exactly" as a void bet.. without looking at the website I would have thought it was 28.5 26.5 23.5 8.5 6.5 which adds up to 93.5
  • Options
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Betting News.

Stan James, yet again, have suspended all their constituency prices.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    @isam
    "Exactly" any of those percentages isn't very likely with several million votes.
  • Options
    New Shadsy prices - Euros - GB Vote Share - all priced at 5/6

Greens above/below 7%

Lib Dems above/below 9%

Conservatives above/below 24%

Labour above/below 27%
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    shadsy said:

@isam
    "Exactly" any of those percentages isn't very likely with several million votes.

Oh yeah haha! My mistake

although (edit)

It could lead to a bit of controversy if, say UKIP get 28.9%.. every media outlet would report it as 29% and you would settle it under 29% as a winner, and over as a loser... 28.5% would make more sense I think, it is more usual to be under over in that way

Customer service would be fielding angry calls
  • Options

FPT:

shadsy said:

GB Vote share
    UKIP 29%
    Lab 27%
    Cons 24%
    LD 9%
    Green 7%

I concur. Is their GOTV operation up to scratch?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I'm on Con less than 24.0 and Lab less than 27.0. I'm very confident I won't lose both, and hopeful I'll win both. We shall see!
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

FPT:

shadsy said:

GB Vote share
    UKIP 29%
    Lab 27%
    Cons 24%
    LD 9%
    Green 7%

I suspect lower is value with almost all of them, for this reason. Tempted to just bet on lower across the board.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    ToryJim said:

I'm not familiar with the model and mechanics you refer to but it looks like it is forecasting a better result next time than last. This seems interesting to say the least.

The government's done a respectable job with a very difficult inheritance and the Opposition doesn't have a Scooby. qv 1983.

• Options
    Hills - Euros - Scotland - Party With The Most Votes

SNP 1/4
    Labour 11/4
    UKIP 100/1
    Conservatives 100/1
    Greens 200/1
  • Options
    Lebo and Norporth have this to say at the time of their 2010 forecast:

"Time will tell, but one smaller consequence will be that if a coalition does rule Britain beginning in 2010 it will make the forecasting process a much different exercise in the future."

Main problem being that if the Government is a Coalition you can't model elections as a simple pendulum between Government and Opposition. The simple two-body problem has now become a three-body problem.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    8% for Green in a Westminster poll. I think this demonstrates that we should ignore all Westminster polling until at least the middle of June.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

The government's done a respectable job with a very difficult inheritance and the Opposition doesn't have a Scooby. qv 1983.

Oh I agree. Just the numbers don't indicate a better result for Conservatives than last time. Like I said I don't understand the model, I just find it intriguing.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    RodCrosby said:
    Thanks. No insult intended... your workings are your own business.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

...although the L&N model does takes account of poll variation....

As I understand it the L&N model has only previously been used for making predictions three months ahead of the general election, rather than one year ahead, so that's nine months of poll variation that you are ignoring.

It's a bit daft to take a model and use it in a context it was never designed for.
    It's as daft as reporting polls that ask "If there was an election tomorrow..."

But I have always accepted your substantive point, in any case. I just thought political sophisticates on a site like this might wish to know what the model is saying, before we get to its final forecast...

Btw, who can say for certain there won't be an election...in three months time?

I'll stop, if you like.

(^_-)
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    something to bear in mind when you hear government stats about numbers

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/update-men-from-dewsbury-and-heckmondwike-jailed-for-human-trafficking-1-6615353

"Two Hungarian men have been jailed for their part in a large scale human trafficking ring which saw victims lured to Kirklees and forced into near slavery.

Heckmondwike-based Janos Orsos, 43, was sentenced to five years behind bars for masterminding the sophisticated scam in which fellow countrymen were paid as little as £10 per week for working up to 100 hours."

"Workers lived in accommodation in Ravensthorpe, Batley, Heckmondwike and Bradford. Up to 50 men were kept in a single Batley house."

The political class' version of reality is a total lie but only a minority know it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Ipsos MORI - Scottish sub-sample (101)

Westminster voting intention - Scotland
    (+/- change from UK GE 2010)

SNP 39% (+19)
    Lab 22% (-20)
    Con 19% (+2)
    LD 9% (-10)
    UKIP 5% (+4)
    Grn 4% (+3)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Publications/sri-politicalmonitor-may2014-tables-WR.pdf
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I came back and saw the Opinium poll for the Euros:
    Opinium Research ‏@OpiniumResearch 1h
    Our latest #EU'14 results UKIP have a two point lead over Lab while the Tories remain in 3rd, LibDems slip to just 7% http://bit.ly/1nIPqeu
    :^D

Then I saw the ipsosMori poll with a 4% drop for UKIP, but even more bizarre a 5% swing to the Greens. :^C

That latter poll must be an outlier as it doesn't correspond to any other poll we've see recently.

I think the pollsters have got their knickers in a twist and the UKIP surge is confounding all of them but especially ipsos and Populus.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2014
    MikeK said:

Our latest #EU'14 results UKIP have a two point lead over Lab while the Tories remain in 3rd, LibDems slip to just 7% http://bit.ly/1nIPqeu

Then I saw the ipsosMori poll with a 4% drop for UKIP, but even more bizarre a 5% swing to the Greens. :^C

That latter poll must be an outlier as it doesn't correspond to any other poll we've see recently.

I think the pollsters have got their knickers in a twist and the UKIP surge is confounding all of them but especially ipsos and Populus.

There's none so blind as those that will not see.
  • Options

Lebo and Norporth have this to say at the time of their 2010 forecast:

"Time will tell, but one smaller consequence will be that if a coalition does rule Britain beginning in 2010 it will make the forecasting process a much different exercise in the future."

Main problem being that if the Government is a Coalition you can't model elections as a simple pendulum between Government and Opposition. The simple two-body problem has now become a three-body problem.

Yes, I've acknowledged the changed landscape, and attached the caveat in previous discussions of the L&N forecast. At some point the coalition will break-up, however, and we'll be back to something like business as usual in the 2015 campaign.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

MikeK said:

Do you think this poll is the start of a ukip downturn then?
  • Options
    MrJones said:

http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/update-men-from-dewsbury-and-heckmondwike-jailed-for-human-trafficking-1-6615353

"Two Hungarian men have been jailed for their part in a large scale human trafficking ring which saw victims lured to Kirklees and forced into near slavery.

Heckmondwike-based Janos Orsos, 43, was sentenced to five years behind bars for masterminding the sophisticated scam in which fellow countrymen were paid as little as £10 per week for working up to 100 hours."

"Workers lived in accommodation in Ravensthorpe, Batley, Heckmondwike and Bradford. Up to 50 men were kept in a single Batley house."

The political class' version of reality is a total lie but only a minority know it.

That sounds like the sort of thing you hear from alien conspiracists that somehow they know some special truth that is being kept from ordinary folk in the interests of the authorities. It's loopy loo.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

MikeK said:

To whom are you referring?
  • Options
    shadsy said:

@isam

The more I think about it, 28.5 would be better because anything between 28.51 and 29.49 will be reported as 29 and punters won't know if they've won or lost
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    'What might Euro elections mean for Scotland's referendum?'

"When it happens," one Labour MP tells me, "you lot will all be looking in the wrong direction."

... "If Labour comes third," he tells me, "it will have a phenomenal effect in Scotland. People will be asking if we have a future in Britain."

His point is an interesting one. Look at who is driving the Unionist cause in Scotland right now. The bedrock of the No campaign is the Labour voter, as the Tories and Lib Dems are in short supply there.

If Labour tanks in the European Parliament elections, we may well expect the Labour share of the vote to drop north of the border. If Farage comes first, then all eyes will turn to Edinburgh. It could well be a significant blow to the No campaign. So when the Sunday night Euro election scoreboard comes round, have a good long look.

If England is being won by UKIP and Scotland is being won by the SNP, then there is no more fertile breeding ground for a Nationalist Yes to Scottish independence.

It's something much of Westminster may not have woken up to yet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-27397551
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Oh I agree. Just the numbers don't indicate a better result for Conservatives than last time. Like I said I don't understand the model, I just find it intriguing.
    There are two main features of the model.

1. Approval of the Prime Minister is the best measure of how happy the electorate are with the Prime Minister compared to the alternatives on offer.

2. The electorate have a memory of how happy they were with previous Prime Ministers of either party, but this memory decays with time.

So the reason that the Tories will do better in the next election under this model, compared to the previous election is that:

(a) Enough of the electorate approve of the Prime Minister.

(b) The electorate's happy memories of the early Blair years are fading, but they remember what it was like post-Iraq and with Gordon Brown as Prime Minister all too well.

One of the interesting things about the next election is that at the moment the L&N model is making different predictions to Rod's successful swingback theory - based on averaging the by-election swings in the Parliament and swinging back a bit to the Government.

I'm looking forward to see if they still differ in 2015, and which one turns out to be most accurate in that case.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

SNP 39% (+19)
    Lab 22% (-20)
    Con 19% (+2)
    LD 9% (-10)
    UKIP 5% (+4)
    Grn 4% (+3)

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Publications/sri-politicalmonitor-may2014-tables-WR.pdf

Is that raw or cooked data ?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Well, the increase inthe Green vote has been seen in more than one poll, and it appears to be a net move of 2010 Lib Dems from Labour to Greens.

In the commentary MORI say that the decline for UKIP reflects the bursting of their post-debate bubble - it is possible that the timing of the previous MORI poll made it a slight UKIP outlier in the other direction, and this poll is just a slight over-correction downwards. It's hard to tell just looking at a monthly poll.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

SNP 39% (+19)
    Lab 22% (-20)
    Con 19% (+2)
    LD 9% (-10)
    UKIP 5% (+4)
    Grn 4% (+3)

Let's put it this way: if you are a Shadsy fan (and who isn't here at PB?) then it it very obvious that Shadsy is following the Scottish sub-samples very, very closely. There is no other way to explain his "SNP More Votes Than Labour" price of 1/4.

Ignore the Scottish polling at your peril ;)
  • Options
    UKIP -> Green switchers ^_~
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

1. Approval of the Prime Minister is the best measure of how happy the electorate are with the Prime Minister compared to the alternatives on offer.

2. The electorate have a memory of how happy they were with previous Prime Ministers of either party, but this memory decays with time.

So the reason that the Tories will do better in the next election under this model, compared to the previous election is that:

(b) The electorate's happy memories of the early Blair years are fading, but they remember what it was like post-Iraq and with Gordon Brown as Prime Minister all too well.

One of the interesting things about the next election is that at the moment the L&N model is making different predictions to Rod's successful swingback theory - based on averaging the by-election swings in the Parliament and swinging back a bit to the Government.

I'm looking forward to see if they still differ in 2015, and which one turns out to be most accurate in that case.
    Cheers for the explanation. Makes some sense.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

SNP 39% (+19)
    Lab 22% (-20)
    Con 19% (+2)
    LD 9% (-10)
    UKIP 5% (+4)
    Grn 4% (+3)

Carefully sampled and dished up to the unwary
  • Options

MikeK said:

Well, the increase inthe Green vote has been seen in more than one poll, and it appears to be a net move of 2010 Lib Dems from Labour to Greens.

In the commentary MORI say that the decline for UKIP reflects the bursting of their post-debate bubble - it is possible that the timing of the previous MORI poll made it a slight UKIP outlier in the other direction, and this poll is just a slight over-correction downwards. It's hard to tell just looking at a monthly poll.
    @OblitusSumMe
    You may well be right but I just don't buy it. Something smells to me and my twitching nose is seldom wrong. Except when I bet on the gee gees.
  • Options
    Rory Stewart has been elected to chair the Defence select committee. Intriguing.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    I must say that Greens on 8% is a bit terrifying - I was happy when Lucas won because I thought a multi-party parliament would be good for democracy - But she's causing havoc.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

MrJones said:

That sounds like the sort of thing you hear from alien conspiracists that somehow they know some special truth that is being kept from ordinary folk in the interests of the authorities. It's loopy loo.
    "were paid as little as £10 per week for working up to 100 hours."

"Up to 50 men were kept in a single Batley house."

How many houses like that would it take to make every single government statistic bogus?
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

I must say that Greens on 8% is a bit terrifying - I was happy when Lucas won because I thought a multi-party parliament would be good for democracy - But she's causing havoc.

Mainly because she is an attention seeking moron with the political skills of a paramecium

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited May 2014
    The polling has gone a bit Second Punic War for Labour in this parliament.

Some of us kept on telling you that Labour's lead/Cannae were overrated and just not good enough.

Labour must be worried that the next election will be their Zama.

Ed Miliband = Hannibal.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anyone who wants to surf the Green tide should note that they are available at 25/1 in Norwich South with Paddy Power, where in theory they require only an 7.3% swing to take the seat.

There are sillier bets out there.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

@OblitusSumMe
    You may well be right but I just don't buy it. Something smells to me and my twitching nose is seldom wrong. Except when I bet on the gee gees.
    Who is your fancy for the Derby ? Reckon Australia is as good as O 'Brian seems to think he is ?

& Wasn't "Night of Thunder" just such an obvious long odds pick in hindsight for the Guineas !
  • Options
    ToryJim - I wouldn't really know, she does want to ban page 3 though so she can't be all bad, shame about the t-shirt tactics.
  • Options

Some of us kept on telling you that Labour's lead/Cannae were overrated and just not good enough.

Ed Miliband = Hannibal.

Perhaps after the election Doncaster will be razed and the remnants sown with salt ;)
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

ToryJim - I wouldn't really know, she does want to ban page 3 though so she can't be all bad, shame about the t-shirt tactics.

Hmm, I'm no fan of page 3 but I think banning it is ludicrous.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    ToryJim said:

Ed Miliband = Hannibal.

Perhaps after the election Doncaster will be razed and the remnants sown with salt ;)
    How would we know the difference?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    ToryJim - not a big fan of this debate, However, without trying to sound too much like a lad - I think that given the context that the scorn poured on lads mags compared to pg 3 is the wrong way round
  • Options
    This fall in UKIP support must give OGH renewed hope of landing his 56/1 bet on the Tories topping the Euro vote. Incidentally the Blues are currently best priced with Bet365 at 8/1.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    ToryJim said:

Ed Miliband = Hannibal.

There are worse fates that could befall Doncaster, leaving it as it is for one.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

JBriskin said:

Mainly because she is an attention seeking moron with the political skills of a paramecium

As the sole MP of a niche party, attention seeking is a vital political skill. She's done more to keep the Greens and their issues in the news than the party 'leader' Natalie Bennett.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Cheers for the explanation. Makes some sense.
    Slightly more accurately

i) PM approval (adjusted for the two-party vote) turns out to be the best proxy for predicting governing party performance at the next election. Cameron's ratings are historically high, and this month's 39/65 = 60% is an extraordinarily good score. Over 50% almost invariably leads to re-election, at least in terms of the PV.

ii) There appears to be an auto-regressive component to British elections. Usually a party, once installed, can look forward to 2-3 terms before being ejected. A particularly good or bad PM, judged by the score in i) can peturb that cycle. But the deeper into the cycle, the better a PM must do to prevent the natural swing of the pendulum from asserting itself...

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

ToryJim said:

Ed Miliband = Hannibal.

There are worse fates that could befall Doncaster, leaving it as it is for one.
    - or making Jeremy Clarkson move back.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited May 2014
    isam said:

Anorak said:

MikeK said:

Do you think this poll is the start of a ukip downturn then?
    I don't know. I hope so. I was being critical of dismissing something out of hand because it doesn't match a person's worldview. See also: Cybernats.
  • Options
    BTW, are the Tories' prospects of winning the 2015 GE in direct proportion to the level of posting activity on PB.com which by my reckoning has shot up over recent days?
  • Options
    With polling like this and fracking becoming more of an issue it will be very hard to leave Natalie Bennett out of next year's Leaders' debate.
  • Options

This fall in UKIP support must give OGH renewed hope of landing his 56/1 bet on the Tories topping the Euro vote. Incidentally the Blues are currently best priced with Bet365 at 8/1.

£10 @ 9.6 is available on Betfair - that beats 365 after commission.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Ed Miliband = Hannibal.

The only good thing in Doncaster is the m18. Because that leads to Sheffield.
  • Options
    TSE - Vote 2/3/5!
  • Options

With polling like this and fracking becoming more of an issue it will be very hard to leave Natalie Bennett out of next year's Leaders' debate.

Maybe but most people will wonder wtf she's doing there.

• Options
    Labour MP calls Pfizer rapists and incurs wrath of the Tory ladies...

http://www.newstatesman.com/media/2014/05/labour-mp-austin-mitchell-seems-call-pfizer-rapists-twitter
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    An acquaintance tells me that Doncaster's white community is very divisive for the town....(Doncaster whites being people from there who support Leeds United).
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Anyone who wants to surf the Green tide should note that they are available at 25/1 in Norwich South with Paddy Power, where in theory they require only an 7.3% swing to take the seat.

There are sillier bets out there.

Hmm ...... unlikely, but this could prove a profitable trading bet if and when Betfair ever enters the constituency betting fray. They really are fairly hopeless in terms of covering political markets.

That said, does anyone believe Hillary Clinton could be a good lay with the exchange firm at odds of around 1/2 in terms of her winning the Democratic nomination in 2016 following recent concerns expressed about her health, albeit from the GOP.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Could be OGH trying to cash in he 57.0, you never know.
  • Options
    If the Greens are polling 8% after the World Cup when everyone has forgotten about the Euros you may well have an argument.
  • Options
    Haha It was me actually, taken it down though... might be reducing my own payout !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Indeed it does, but only marginally:
    Betfair's 9.6 = 8.17/1 net in old money. Handy for trading out of though.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

I've cashed out my 60/65 on the Tories and switched to backing Labour. 3/1+ is too big for a party only 2 behind in the polling. I anticipate squaring everything off though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the Greens are polling 8% after the World Cup when everyone has forgotten about the Euros you may well have an argument.

If Core Libs give up they'll mostly switch to Green.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    MaxU said:

RodCrosby said:

(Central forecast)

Con vote lead 10.0%
    Con seat lead 100 seats

Dire for Labour...

Very interesting, can I ask three questions:

1. why have you based this forecast on the MOri poll rather than ICM (which people, rightly or wrongly, regard as the "Gold Standard")?
    2. What were the figures from last month? I appreciate you probably posted them but I am not on here all the time so would be really grateful if you could post the comparators.
    3. I would also really appreciate some indicator of spread around the central forecast.

Thanks very much
    1) In 2010 they used MORI, although in 2005 they used an average of MORI, YouGov and ICM. So a fair point. If anyone wishes to point out where I can find 'PM approval' figures other than MORI, I'll try and incorporate them.

2) Last month, the central forecast was a Tory 7.4% vote lead, 59 seat lead, 38% chance Tory majority, 62% HP, other figures virtually no different.

3) Around a 30-seat seat lead standard deviation, 1.75% vote lead standard deviation.

Oh, and the original paper can be downloaded from one of the links here..
    http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar?cluster=8741876153688807896&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5
  • Options

Quincel said:

Pulpstar said:

I've cashed out my 60/65 on the Tories and switched to backing Labour. 3/1+ is too big for a party only 2 behind in the polling. I anticipate squaring everything off though.
    Looks like good thinking to me TP especially if there is late support for Labour sensing something of a recovery by the Tories. Plus of course any such recovery is likely to be principally at the expense of UKIP, thereby indirectly aiding Labour!

Think I might follow you in there.

• Options
    If Dave is going to win he needs the left to resplit and ex-LD voters to drift away from Labour (and to the Greens is just fine). He also needs UKIP to stop poaching the Tory core vote (but doesn't care - in fact positively - encourages UKIP poaching from Labour). We're starting to see evidence that both of these things are happening.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    You're right, I've just taken my profits on the euro markets here... time to sit out, enjoy the profits and the fun.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GuidoFawkes: Lab: "Chief Whip has made it clear to Austin Mitchell this tweet was unacceptable. He has now apologised for an obvious error of judgement."

@GuidoFawkes: Oh dear. Austin Mitchell tells Huffpo he won't apologise. Labour spokesman says he has.

• Options
    Betfair majority

Lab 2.92
    Con 3.9
  • Options
    I'm starting to wonder if the entire Betfair market is ourselves and lurkers all trading amongst each other ^_~
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

ToryJim said:

Ed Miliband = Hannibal.

The only good thing in Doncaster is the m18. Because that leads to Sheffield.
    Sheffield, another place that would be improved by a smallish nuclear device.
  • Options
    ITV4 - LIVE EUROPA LEAGUE FINAL (ko 7.45) - The showpiece match at the Juventus Stadium in Turin, where Juventus or Benfica take on Valencia or Sevilla (Radio times)

Any betting advice will be accepted.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    Pulpstar said:

I'm starting to wonder if the entire Betfair market is ourselves and lurkers all trading amongst each other ^_~

There must be someone else that we are all taking money off on a net basis...
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Prices for Con in Newark all contracting,the 2-7 on Betfair is approaching the true price so the 4-9 generally available by the books still represents value.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    The Scottish sub sample would see the Tories gaining Berwickshire from the Libs and Dumfries and Renfrewshire East from Labour, but losing out to the SNP in Argyll, Fife, Aberdeenshire West and parts of Ayrshire and Edinburgh.
    Surely Lab can't slump to 22 in Scotland?!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    By-Election in Great Grimsby would be interesting

2/5 Labour
    5/2 UKIP
    10/1 Con

?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Prices for Con in Newark all contracting,the 2-7 on Betfair is approaching the true price so the 4-9 generally available by the books still represents value.

Does anybody still think CON won;t do it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    ToryJim said:

Rory Stewart has been elected to chair the Defence select committee. Intriguing.

Other MP's going "ooh look, that bloke off the telly...."
  • Options
    taffys said:

Does anybody still think CON won;t do it?

Was it ever in doubt ?
  • Options
    For those punters who believe the Greens have somehow magically and in no time at all doubled their share of the vote, which I most assuredly do not, then Brighton Pavilion is surely the place to invest where those nice people at both Ladbrokes an Paddy Power will offer you evens on Ms Lucas retaining her seat.
  • Options
    Was it ever in doubt ?

I read the tories haven;t won a by-election whilst in government in 25 years, so I guess the answer is yes!!
This discussion has been closed.