Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-MORI finds support for staying in the EU at its highe

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited May 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ipsos-MORI finds support for staying in the EU at its highest level since before the 1992 ERM crisis

One of the great things about Ipsos-MORI is that it has been carrying out political polling in the UK for longer than anyone and has extraordinary records. This means that it can put things into context.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Treacle Pudding!
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 706
    O/T (apologies!)

India live vote counting

http://www.ndtv.com/video/live/channel/ndtv24x7

http://ibnlive.in.com/livetv/

NDTV calling seat leads in 53/543 seats with only 20 mins of counting!

BJP 31 up 7 Congress 13 down 7

Thanks

DC
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922
    I doubt it has much to do with Scotland.

Isn't it more likely that:

(1) A good proportion of UKIP voters see their support for the party as a general cry of dissatisfaction rather than as being about support for pulling out of the EU?

(2) UKIP is a polarising party. It attracts support, but polls show it is also actively disliked by a large number of voters. Perhaps there is an "If UKIP is for it I am against it" effect.

It's also worth remembering that despite the UKIP surge parties that support staying in the EU will win more votes than those supporting pulling out on 22nd May.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited May 2014
    - "Voters don’t like change and are more comfortable with the status quo across the board."

Funny you should use that term status quo Mike, because that is exactly the term used by David Cameron in Glasgow yesterday. He even went so far as to say that all of the Unionist parties "are also passionate about further devolution". Quite how he squares that with Ruth Davidson's infamous "line in the sand" or with UKIP's implacable opposition to devolution remains unexplained.

So, a vote for YES is a vote to change from the status quo.

And a vote for NO is a vote to change from the status quo.

So, what do people in favour of the status quo do? Abstain?

Scottish independence: Cameron says No vote 'not for status quo'
    Speaking to Reporting Scotland, Mr Cameron said:... "So that people who vote No know that they are actually voting not simply for the status quo but for the best of both worlds."
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27414810
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    On the other hand ipsosMORI could be totaly wrong
  • Options
    jamesjwojamesjwo Posts: 5
    Well, if UKIP support stems in large part from concerns over immigration, it doesn't necessarily have to be over EU immigration, whatever Mr Farage says.
  • Options
    AJKAJK Posts: 20
    I hope 'STAY' or 'LEAVE' would be the choice on the referendum ballot. Much more objective than a 'YES' or 'NO' choice.

For example. 'Do you wish to stay in, or leave the United Kingdom?' STAY? LEAVE? would I suggest produce a higher % for the Union, than 'should Scotland become an Independent country?
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,404
    AJK said:

I hope 'STAY' or 'LEAVE' would be the choice on the referendum ballot. Much more objective than a 'YES' or 'NO' choice.

For example. 'Do you wish to stay in, or leave the United Kingdom?' STAY? LEAVE? would I suggest produce a higher % for the Union, than 'should Scotland become an Independent country?

If it did I doubt it would be statistically significant.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    jamesjwo said:

Well, if UKIP support stems in large part from concerns over immigration, it doesn't necessarily have to be over EU immigration, whatever Mr Farage says.

Non-EU immigration can be limited by government action. EU immigration cannot.

• Options
    edited May 2014

It's also worth remembering that despite the UKIP surge parties that support staying in the EU will win more votes than those supporting pulling out on 22nd May.

The Greens, and (this week) the Conservatives also advocate an in/out referendum.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    ToryJim said:

AJK said:

If it did I doubt it would be statistically significant.
    the referendum doesn't need a statistically significant result. just a majority.

what's an objective question is highly subjective though
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    AJK said:

Great point.

That is what the bright Wendy Alexander realised, but her dim boss Gordon Brown sabotaged her initiative. Pretty much the only occasion when SLab have seriously wrongfooted the SNP in recent history.

If Unionists had called the Scottish independence referendum (as Wendy was attempting to do), then they could have designed the entire poll: the timing, the legislative format, and cucially, the actual wording of the question.

The wording on the ballot paper is one of the aces held by the YES campaign. It is a beautiful question. A clear question. And it appeals to Scots who actually like and respect their fellow Scots. Which is most of them.

(But just to be clear, I do not agree that your wording would be any more "objective" than the actual wording. In fact, in terms of constitutional law, your wording tries to pretend that the Union with England Act never received royal assent.)
  • Options
    I must say this story is amusing me. I've always veered between admiration and bewilderment over Clegg but this really puzzles me. I wonder if his desperation to improve his predicament is blinding him to the increased damage he is doing himself? He's desperate to improve hi fortunes but I wonder if he is actually trying too hard. I certainly think that most people would think the Official Secrets Act was there for far bigger issues than spending implications of a minor policy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2629829/How-LibDems-tried-Gove-ally-arrested-Deputy-PM-accused-losing-plot-school-lunches-row.html
  • Options
    edited May 2014

The Greens, and (this week) the Conservatives also advocate an in/out referendum.
    Every Green party in Europe has become less hostile to the EU over time. The same is true of the Green Party of England and Wales.

• Options

AJK said:

Great point.

That is what the bright Wendy Alexander realised, but her dim boss Gordon Brown sabotaged her initiative. Pretty much the only occasion when SLab have seriously wrongfooted the SNP in recent history.

If Unionists had called the Scottish independence referendum (as Wendy was attempting to do), then they could have designed the entire poll: the timing, the legislative format, and cucially, the actual wording of the question.

The wording on the ballot paper is one of the aces held by the YES campaign. It is a beautiful question. A clear question. And it appeals to Scots who actually like and respect their fellow Scots. Which is most of them.

(But just to be clear, I do not agree that your wording would be any more "objective" than the actual wording. In fact, in terms of constitutional law, your wording tries to pretend that the Union with England Act never received royal assent.)
    The thing is though having in essence granted Salmond everything he wants in the referendum, question, timing, even down to voting pool it makes the stakes higher for nationalists. If the polls are accurate and there's no reason to suggest otherwise then the issue is settled, because having got everything they wanted the nationalists can't reasonably cry foul.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This is a very substantial lead and should not be lightly dismissed. It should give Kippers pause for thought. It won't.
  • Options
    "Clegg’s team has, so far, taken sensible precautions against a [post locals/EU elections] leadership challenge. They put Tim Farron, the party president and the strongest left-wing candidate, in charge of the European election campaign. And Vince Cable, the minister most likely to be touted as Clegg’s replacement, will be in China as the results come in.

Clegg, meanwhile, has made it clear that he won’t go without a fight. His confidants have let it be known that if he were deposed, his loyal lieutenant Danny Alexander would be a candidate in the election that followed."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/politics/9207761/nick-cleggs-war/
  • Options
    antifrank said:

This is a very substantial lead and should not be lightly dismissed. It should give Kippers pause for thought. It won't.

It's also wildly out of line with other polling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_referendum_on_United_Kingdom_membership_of_the_European_Union#2014_2

A referendum is winnable either way. There's nothing foolish about believing in the strength of your case. Mr Farage was after all judged the winner in two national debates on the merits of the EU.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Monomania is never derailed by inconvenient facts like this. It's why most of me knows that the in/out referendum won't solve anything as the obsessives will still obsess sadly.

• Options
    Euros Betting News.

The LAB price is drifting in Ladbrokes' Euro election market: "Labour to win more votes than SNP". New prices:

SNP to win more votes than Labour 2/7 (from 1/3)
    Labour to win more votes than SNP 5/2 (from 9/4)

However, LAB-backers are still better nipping over to Hills where you can get 11/4 on LAB:

William Hill - Scotland - Party With The Most Votes - European Parliament Elections

SNP 1/4
    Lab 11/4
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 100/1
    LD 200/1

I assume that this tightening of the SNP price is due to that ComRes poll yesterday showing Scottish Labour on just 16%, in 3rd place behind the Scottish Tories (22%) in terms of European Parliament voting intention.
  • Options

Every Green party in Europe has become less hostile to the EU over time. The same is true of the Green Party of England and Wales.

They may argue for 'in', but they also argue for an in/out referendum.

Lurking on the Greens website is I believe an argument for reforming the EU. As I recall the reforms were so drastic they were unlikely to be achieved.
  • Options
    jamesjwojamesjwo Posts: 5

jamesjwo said:

Non-EU immigration can be limited by government action. EU immigration cannot.

Indeed, but my point about the potential explanation for the poll figures remains, and the authorities aren't necessarily using their powers to limit non-EU immigration as much as many Kippers might want. UKIP also at one stage called for a temporary moratorium on all immigration to the UK, although it seems they have now modified this position.
  • Options

antifrank said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposed_referendum_on_United_Kingdom_membership_of_the_European_Union#2014_2

A referendum is winnable either way. There's nothing foolish about believing in the strength of your case. Mr Farage was after all judged the winner in two national debates on the merits of the EU.
    From your own link, 9 out of the last 10 polls have shown a lead for the In crowd when last year only one poll did so.

I directly attribute this shift to the rise of UKIP. It is popular with some voters, but disliked by more. More UKIP means those who dislike it think about it more, and turn away from the whole job lot of what it advocates.

UKIP doesn't need to make the true believers still more passionate. It needs to persuade the undecided. Right now it's repelling them.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

having got everything they wanted the nationalists can't reasonably cry foul.
    Like that will stop them......

I'm still chuckling over that poll suggesting Salmond is a bigger threat to Independence than Cameron is to the Union.....

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Interestingly, Shadsy's line betting prices (5/6 above/below) have not budged an inch since he published them. Either punters ain't interested, or else (more likely) Shadsy's judgement is spot on, as usual:

Euro election - Ladbrokes' line prices: GB vote share (note: GB vote share not UK vote share)

UKIP 28%
    Lab 26%
    Con 24%
    Grn 8%
    LD 8%
    An Independence From Europe 1.5%

You are offered a price of 5/6 on results either above or below those levels.

(We'll have to ask Shadsy if Gibraltar is included in his definition of GB vote share. I assume it would only alter results by tiny fractions of a percent, but punters might like to know anyway.)
  • Options

Euros Betting News.

The LAB price is drifting in Ladbrokes' Euro election market: "Labour to win more votes than SNP". New prices:

However, LAB-backers are still better nipping over to Hills where you can get 11/4 on LAB:

William Hill - Scotland - Party With The Most Votes - European Parliament Elections

SNP 1/4
    Lab 11/4
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 100/1
    LD 200/1

I assume that this tightening of the SNP price is due to that ComRes poll yesterday showing Scottish Labour on just 16%, in 3rd place behind the Scottish Tories (22%) in terms of European Parliament voting intention.

The scottish Survation surely? A ten point gap between SNP and Lab.

• Options

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

I'm still chuckling over that poll suggesting Salmond is a bigger threat to Independence than Cameron is to the Union.....

Sadly

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

I'm always weary of polls that say X will make me more likely vote Y. People may say that, but in reality when push comes to shove, will it actually have that much of an effect?
  • Options

Euros Betting News.

SNP 1/4
    Lab 11/4
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 100/1
    LD 200/1

Sure, the Survation was good for the SNP too. But that ComRes was truly stunning. I can't remember the last time a poll showed Scottish Labour to be in 3rd place. And it wasn't even a good 3rd place: it was 16% (!!). To be clear: sixteen percent! This from the party which until recently used to regularly poll around 50% in Scotland.

The words Johann and Lamont will no doubt feature prominently when the obituary of the Union is penned.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

From your own link, 9 out of the last 10 polls have shown a lead for the In crowd when last year only one poll did so.

I directly attribute this shift to the rise of UKIP. It is popular with some voters, but disliked by more. More UKIP means those who dislike it think about it more, and turn away from the whole job lot of what it advocates.

UKIP doesn't need to make the true believers still more passionate. It needs to persuade the undecided. Right now it's repelling them.
    You can attribute a trend to whatever you like. It doesn't change the fact that an in/out referendum is winnable by either side.

People have firm views on the EU, stronger than their views on UKIP, and it's not popular.
  • Options

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

You can attribute a trend to whatever you like. It doesn't change the fact that an in/out referendum is winnable by either side.

People have firm views on the EU, stronger than their views on UKIP, and it's not popular.
    Why do you think that In is currently in the lead then?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

(1) A good proportion of UKIP voters see their support for the party as a general cry of dissatisfaction rather than as being about support for pulling out of the EU?

(2) UKIP is a polarising party. It attracts support, but polls show it is also actively disliked by a large number of voters. Perhaps there is an "If UKIP is for it I am against it" effect.

Good post. As Mike has frequently mentioned in the past, the EU does not rank highly on voters' (direct) concerns. It may rank a little higher once indirect concerns are taken into account - immigration, globalisation, voters' control over their own affairs and so on - but it's still not the economy, NHS or education. UKIP is at present the best NOTA option and are capitalising on that fact.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

I'm always weary of polls that say X will make me more likely vote Y. People may say that, but in reality when push comes to shove, will it actually have that much of an effect?
    No.

Anthony Wells regularly makes exactly that point over at UKPR. Not that anybody ever listens to him. The less gifted regularly get excited over "less/more likely" questions.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Why do you think that In is currently in the lead then?
    1. The majority of the 2014 polling is YouGov. I'd like to see more companies results before accepting the in lead.

2. Concern about the economy has been the top concern, I would guess that fear of change, fear that the economic catastrophe predicted by pro-EU voices is not wholly without merit. At the same time the TV news hasn't had the Eurozone-on-the-brink headlines.

3. It doesn't matter who is in the lead. The two sides are close enough for either one to win. I think the arguments favour the 'out' side, others will disagree.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

One of the PB golden rules: a rogue poll is one you disagree with.

I think the findings make good sense. Someone (the Lib Dems) have started arguing strongly for continued membership, whereas previously only stories or arguments critical of membership had been advanced. That should have some effect. In addition, Cameron's repeated pledge of an In/Out referendum after renegotiations may well have persuaded some to drift from 'this is a waste of effort and money' to 'this might be worth it in a few years so I'll defer judgement for now'.

The stark 'In' or 'Out' options in the question hide a multitude of grey areas of opinion and I suspect that the number who could be persuaded either way is larger than either group who are firmly in one camp or the other. As other referendums have shown, big swings can occur across the campaign. A 17% lead is not to be ignored, but nor is it anything like a settled judgement.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    In today's YouGov, UKIP gets 13% of the VI, but looking at the 2010 VI, it gets 11% of the Cons 2010 VI, 6% of Labour's and 13% of the LD's. Thus it must be getting a larger share of the new voters and DNV 2010 voters.
  • Options

Euros Betting News.

SNP 1/4
    Lab 11/4
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 100/1
    LD 200/1

Sure, the Survation was good for the SNP too. But that ComRes was truly stunning. I can't remember the last time a poll showed Scottish Labour to be in 3rd place. And it wasn't even a good 3rd place: it was 16% (!!). To be clear: sixteen percent! This from the party which until recently used to regularly poll around 50% in Scotland.

The words Johann and Lamont will no doubt feature prominently when the obituary of the Union is penned.
    Wasn't that the one based on a sub-sample of about 175 voters? If so, the MoE would be about 7.5% even if the subsample were balanced, which it won't have been.

Amusing though it was for me to see the Conservatives ahead of Labour in Scotland, I wouldn't set too much store by the result. Give me two or three more like that and I'll start to believe it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Euros Betting News.

SNP 1/4
    Lab 11/4
    UKIP 100/1
    Con 100/1
    LD 200/1

Wasn't that the one based on a sub-sample of about 175 voters? If so, the MoE would be about 7.5% even if the subsample were balanced, which it won't have been.

Amusing though it was for me to see the Conservatives ahead of Labour in Scotland, I wouldn't set too much store by the result. Give me two or three more like that and I'll start to believe it.
    Indeed. One swallow does not make a spring (as they say in Germany). However, that is the whole point of watching sub-samples over a long period of time. A very long period of time. That is why the ComRes is so interesting: it comes after a very long decline in the SLab figures, so is plausible. Remember, SLab only got 21% in the Euros in 2009, so a 5 point drop in 5 years is entirely feasible.
  • Options

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

The less gifted regularly get excited over "less/more likely" questions.
    That would be the poor souls who got overexcited by this then:

Scots likely to vote Yes if they think Tories will win UK election

People in Scotland are more likely to vote for independence if they think the Conservatives will win the next UK general election, a poll suggests.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/polls/272322-scots-likely-to-vote-yes-if-they-think-tories-will-win-uk-election/

Glad we've cleared that up......
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Financier said:

In today's YouGov, UKIP gets 13% of the VI, but looking at the 2010 VI, it gets 11% of the Cons 2010 VI, 6% of Labour's and 13% of the LD's. Thus it must be getting a larger share of the new voters and DNV 2010 voters.

Isn't it the case that considerable numbers of voters cannot even remember how they voted at the last election, or even if they did. There is a lot of misremembering about having voted for the winning party?
    That's why I don't trust these figures.
  • Options

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

People in Scotland are more likely to vote for independence if they think the Conservatives will win the next UK general election, a poll suggests.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/polls/272322-scots-likely-to-vote-yes-if-they-think-tories-will-win-uk-election/

If you are happy to see the CONS taking a clear GB polling lead in the weeks leading up to 18 September then fine by me. In fact, the more crowing you Tories do, the better.
  • Options

Good post. As Mike has frequently mentioned in the past, the EU does not rank highly on voters' (direct) concerns. It may rank a little higher once indirect concerns are taken into account - immigration, globalisation, voters' control over their own affairs and so on - but it's still not the economy, NHS or education. UKIP is at present the best NOTA option and are capitalising on that fact.

Indeed. The Euro election is the last chance voters have to let off steam before the serious stuff begins. What will be interesting is what happens to the UKIP vote after it has taken place. There is a real opportunity here for the Tories in my view. If they hold their nerve and do not head rightwards once more in a (forlorn) attempt to recapture unreconstructed UKIPers who are never coming home, they could begin to make a new pitch in the centre and lose that Nasty Party tag - deserved or undeserved - for ever. Let UKIP be the Nasty Party instead.

• Options
    Off topic (for those that are interested), I put a new post up last night:

http://newstonoone.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/deciding-election-3-north-west-in-2015.html
  • Options

And as I frequently point out every time Mike frequently makes that point: he is talking nonsense.

Scottish independence used to regularly rank miles down in the list of voters' concerns, and yet here we are on the brink of it actually happening. Like Scottish independence, the Brexit question underlies every other political issue.

• Options
    @Antifrank
    You might like the Daniel Hannan piece linked to below. He largely agrees with your UKIP/in argument. The difference being that he thinks its the arguments UKIP is using.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100270107/if-it-comes-down-to-immigration-versus-investment-eurosceptics-will-lose/
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

And as I frequently point out every time Mike frequently makes that point: he is talking nonsense.

Speaking of which, "One swallow does not make a spring (as they say in Germany)." das ist falsch,'Eine Schwalbe macht noch keinen Sommer' - tis the same as ours.

pedant mode off.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    O/T

Engineered measles virus to kill cancer!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10834778/Massive-dose-of-measles-virus-kills-cancer-cells.html

This is a great period to be alive in. There's astounding progress being made in so many scientific areas it's difficult to keep up.
  • Options

@Antifrank
    You might like the Daniel Hannan piece linked to below. He largely agrees with your UKIP/in argument. The difference being that he thinks its the arguments UKIP is using.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danielhannan/100270107/if-it-comes-down-to-immigration-versus-investment-eurosceptics-will-lose/

That looks just about spot on to me. And, as I say below, it also shows why the rise of UKIP could be a real opportunity for the Tories, if they keep their nerve.

• Options
    Blue_rog said:

O/T

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10834778/Massive-dose-of-measles-virus-kills-cancer-cells.html

This is a great period to be alive in. There's astounding progress being made in so many scientific areas it's difficult to keep up.

It is indeed, it's why we need to enthuse more kids about science. That is why I love that there are so many accessible science presenters on TV now the likes of Jim al-Khalili, Alice Roberts, Brian Cox and across the pond Michio Kaku and Neil DeGrasse Tyson. We need to make science accessible, and we need to fund it better.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited May 2014
    I've thought recently that the debate about Scottish independence was having an effect on how English people viewed their relationship with Europe, but the Ipsos Mori chart above would suggest the period after 2010 was just a blip.
  • Options

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

If Unionists hadScottish independence referendum (as Wendy was attempting to do), then they could have designed the entire poll: the timing, the legislative format, and cucially, the actual wording of the question.

If you are happy to see the CONS taking a clear GB polling lead in the weeks leading up to 18 September then fine by me. In fact, the more crowing you Tories do, the better.
    I expect the talk will be about the prospect of Prime Minister Salmond and how thrilled Putin will be.....

I mean, 12% of Holyrood 2011 SNP voters say it's more likely to make them vote "No"!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

Good post, especially point (2), which I'm encountering quite often on the doorstep. UKIP has taken a vague grouchiness and elevated it to a demand for radical change, and a lot of people don't like that. "You think it's too warm in here? You're right! In fact, let's tear our clothes off and run naked down the street, you'll feel miles better" "Er, hang on a moment..."

Meanwhile, India is experiencing a real political earthquake - Congress flattened, left-wing parties swept aside, BJP triumphant. Hmm.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

It is indeed, it's why we need to enthuse more kids about science. That is why I love that there are so many accessible science presenters on TV now the likes of Jim al-Khalili, Alice Roberts, Brian Cox and across the pond Michio Kaku and Neil DeGrasse Tyson. We need to make science accessible, and we need to fund it better.
    Alice Roberts is especially important as she encourages girls.
  • Options
    "Ernst & Young did a survey (UK Attractiveness Survey 2013) last year, which found that two thirds of businesses in North America and Asia thought the UK would be a more attractive destination for investment if we were outside the European Union."

http://www.ukipdaily.com/7-reasons-vote-ukip-jobs-jobs-jobs/
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited May 2014
    The YouGov Euro trend is interesting:

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/50wecmqbl6/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Europe-Voting Intention-140514.pdf

The only real movement since January appears to be Labour (-4) to Greens (+5)
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Blue_rog said:

O/T

Alice Roberts is especially important as she encourages girls.
    Absolutely, shame there aren't more ladies in science and areas that are more male dominated. Maggie Alderin-Pocock who has a background in physics and a doctorate in mechanical engineering springs to mind. She is very down to earth an bubbly and covers two demographics off, also being dyslexic she proves that that needn't be a bar to academic success.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Any thoughts on this?
    UK's oil, coal and gas 'gone in five years' [BBC]

What impact would fracking have on this? Will this report dampen enthusiasm for Scottish independence?

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Any thoughts on this?

What impact would fracking have on this? Will this report dampen enthusiasm for Scottish independence?

That is absolutely rubbish. We have enough coal under the ground in the UK to last a couple of centuries. The only reason we're not using it is because of stupid green policies and the renewables lobby.
  • Options

Any thoughts on this?

According to the BBC it says: "In just over five years Britain will have run out of oil, coal and gas, researchers have warned.

A report by the Global Sustainability Institute said shortages would increase dependency on Norway, Qatar and Russia.

There should be a "Europe-wide drive" towards wind, tidal, solar and other sources of renewable power, the institute's Prof Victor Anderson said.

The report says Russia has more than 50 years of oil, more than 100 years of gas and more than 500 years of coal left, on current consumption.

By contrast, Britain has just 5.2 years of oil, 4.5 years of coal and three years of its own gas remaining.

France fares even worse, according to the report, with less than year to go before it runs out of all three fossil fuels.
    Continue reading the main story

Dr Aled Jones, director of the institute, which is based at Anglia Ruskin University, said "heavily indebted" countries were becoming increasingly vulnerable to rising energy prices.

"The EU is becoming ever more reliant on our resource-rich neighbours such as Russia and Norway, and this trend will only continue unless decisive action is taken," he added.

The report painted a varied picture across Europe, with Bulgaria having 34 years of coal left.

Germany, it was claimed, has 250 years of coal remaining but less than a year of oil.

Professor Anderson said: "Coal, oil and gas resources in Europe are running down and we need alternatives. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27435624

I will try and find out more about this report and the sources it uses. The volume of investment still going into the N Sea would not suggest these timelines for oil for the UK. Also what %age of oil recovery is this report using? Perhaps this report has an agenda?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2014
    The headline is somewhat misleading, the Global Sustainability Institute would like to see 'oil, coal and gas' energy replaced with er, renewable sources in 5 years.

Just another global warming pressure group the Beeb likes to quote when needs be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2014

Any thoughts on this?

There's alot of misunderstanding about the notion of 'how long' hydrocarbon resources will last for. Fundamental to this is plain ignorance over the difference between resources and reserves. The quotes usually reference reported reserves and current rates of production to arrive at a '5 years left' opinion. But reserves are determined according to the CURRENT economically viable and already developed resources that exist. As hydrocarbons get produced and reserves reduce - well - the price of the commodity tends to go up. Which in turn brings more resource into the reserves bracket. Oil has been at the '20 years left' stage for decades. The UK has large(ish) coal resources that we could produce if it made economic sense.

The real issue is 'does the government, or indeed successive governments, have the political will to develop, produce and sustain our energy exploration and production sector?'. The fracking debate highlights how relatively powerful the watermelons and the ignorant are over those who would plan for our country's economic wellbeing and future energy availbility. The figure of 5 years, or 10, or 20 or indefinite is really a political choice.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    It is not easy to reconcile the party of in maybe getting no seats and the party of out getting the most with a strong swing to staying in. But it is possible if you accept that the Euros are not a serious election that anyone expects or wants to change anything.

Personally, and this may be my contrary nature, I have been heading in the opposite direction being intensely annoyed about the threat the EU seems determined to create to one of our most important industries through the FTT.

I am happy to wait to see what protections from EZ dominance Cameron can negotiate as the EU evolves and changes in fundamental ways but I frankly think he has a real job on his hands. The idea of that job being given to someone as useless as Miliband is genuinely scary because these negotiations will have a long term effect on our economic prosperity and the decision when it ultimately comes (as I think it eventually will even if the tories do not win the next election and we do not get a referendum in 2017 as a result).

Interesting comments by Cameron yesterday. Very much in line with my own thinking and posting on here. The referendum has changed and is changing Scotland and the status quo is no longer an option.
  • Options
    OT

French Prime Minister Manuel Valls has signed a decree giving the government new powers to block foreign takeover bids for companies deemed "strategic".

The move comes as US firm General Electric (GE) and Germany's Siemens vie to take control of French engineering group Alstom's power business.

Any such takeover will now need approval from Economy Minister Arnaud Montebourg.

Mr Montebourg is known to favour the Siemens approach over the GE bid.

In a statement, he said the government's new powers of veto would be "applied in a selective and proportional manner, taking each situation into consideration".

Until now, the French government's power to intervene was confined to deals concerning defence and security matters. The decree extends this to the energy, water, transport, health and communications sectors.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27420854

As French companies now own a lot of the UK's water and energy businesses, what would be its reaction if the UK retrospectively put in place similar laws.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Next Wednesday there will be a fairly interesting vote when the independent civil service trade union PCS votes on whether to proceed further down the road of being taken over by Unite. Len might just be about to get a little bit more powerful.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    AJK said:

Tough luck the unionists failed to get a loaded question on the ballot paper
  • Options
    Millsy said:

The YouGov Euro trend is interesting:

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/50wecmqbl6/YG-Archives-Pol-Trackers-Europe-Voting Intention-140514.pdf

The only real movement since January appears to be Labour (-4) to Greens (+5)

So you haven't noticed UKIP rising in the EU Parliament polls?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)#2014
  • Options

MikeK said:

One of the PB golden rules: a rogue poll is one you disagree with.

I think the findings make good sense. Someone (the Lib Dems) have started arguing strongly for continued membership, whereas previously only stories or arguments critical of membership had been advanced. That should have some effect. In addition, Cameron's repeated pledge of an In/Out referendum after renegotiations may well have persuaded some to drift from 'this is a waste of effort and money' to 'this might be worth it in a few years so I'll defer judgement for now'.

The stark 'In' or 'Out' options in the question hide a multitude of grey areas of opinion and I suspect that the number who could be persuaded either way is larger than either group who are firmly in one camp or the other. As other referendums have shown, big swings can occur across the campaign. A 17% lead is not to be ignored, but nor is it anything like a settled judgement.
    Good morning, I'm truly awake now...
    That sentence I wrote above was of course tongue in cheek. It's a fact that the establishment, and I include all the MSM bar non, are wholly in favour of the EU and all propaganda is directed against anyone (principally UKIP) wanting an exit from that body, so it's no wonder that the mass of the public are confused or bored to distraction by the whole argument.

It's for UKIP to try and change perceptions that "out" will bring disaster. It's made a good start under direct attack by the whole body politic and their subservient henchmen, but it needs to do even better.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Until now, the French government's power to intervene was confined to deals concerning defence and security matters. The decree extends this to the energy, water, transport, health and communications sectors.

Didn't they block a takeover of (yogurt manufacturer) Danone last year?

• Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

However the fact it keeps Carlotta from frothing so much means it is a bonus. Best just leaving her happy that it feeds her great hatred of Salmond , SNP and SCotland and relieves her inferiority complex. She will be able to pretend she is English easier today.
  • Options
    RobD said:

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

However the fact it keeps Carlotta from frothing so much means it is a bonus. Best just leaving her happy that it feeds her great hatred of Salmond , SNP and SCotland and relieves her inferiority complex. She will be able to pretend she is English easier today.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Next Wednesday there will be a fairly interesting vote when the independent civil service trade union PCS votes on whether to proceed further down the road of being taken over by Unite. Len might just be about to get a little bit more powerful.

Do the monopolies and mergers regulators cover unions?

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

The EU poll ratings look pretty damned bouncy, to be honest. Except a diehard quarter who always want to leave or stay it looks like the electorate changes their mind quite a lot.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I've just cashed out my position on a Tory Maj for the next GE with Betfair. I now know what you proper punters mean when it's nice to see 'all green' though I feel slightly sick seeing how much needed to be bet on a Lab maj as part of this closing out...

As OGH often says it's great trading the move without needing the result.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951
    MikeK said:

Do you think it's all part of some anti-UKIP plot? Perhaps Draghi has bribed ipsosMori to do some kind of push poll. Or maybe the vicious Europhiles just made the number up...

Or maybe most people don't share your obsession.

More seriously, I suspect that this is largely the consequence of UKIP being a deeply polarising party. We see it on here. Even though I hate the Green Party agenda in a way I do not hate UKIP's agenda, I find myself bashing heads with Kippers on here on a regular basis. Has it changed the way I would vote at a referendum? Probably not. But it might turn quite a few "don't knows" into tentative "ins".
  • Options
    Financier said:

Any thoughts on this?

According to the BBC it says: "In just over five years Britain will have run out of oil, coal and gas, researchers have warned.

A report by the Global Sustainability Institute said shortages would increase dependency on Norway, Qatar and Russia.

There should be a "Europe-wide drive" towards wind, tidal, solar and other sources of renewable power, the institute's Prof Victor Anderson said.

The report says Russia has more than 50 years of oil, more than 100 years of gas and more than 500 years of coal left, on current consumption.

By contrast, Britain has just 5.2 years of oil, 4.5 years of coal and three years of its own gas remaining.

France fares even worse, according to the report, with less than year to go before it runs out of all three fossil fuels.

Dr Aled Jones, director of the institute, which is based at Anglia Ruskin University, said "heavily indebted" countries were becoming increasingly vulnerable to rising energy prices.

"The EU is becoming ever more reliant on our resource-rich neighbours such as Russia and Norway, and this trend will only continue unless decisive action is taken," he added.

The report painted a varied picture across Europe, with Bulgaria having 34 years of coal left.

Germany, it was claimed, has 250 years of coal remaining but less than a year of oil.

Professor Anderson said: "Coal, oil and gas resources in Europe are running down and we need alternatives. "

I will try and find out more about this report and the sources it uses. The volume of investment still going into the N Sea would not suggest these timelines for oil for the UK. Also what %age of oil recovery is this report using? Perhaps this report has an agenda?
    Anybody with more than ONE brain cell would know it is total bollocks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2014
    On topic: The gorilla in the corner of the whole Brexit debate is timing. Whatever happens we'll not get an In/Out referendum before 2017 at the earliest. But what state will the EU we would vote to leave or remain in be like by then? The Euro problem is decidedly unfixed.

The EU bureaucracy have played a brilliant game of extend and pretend - but the fundamental flaws remain. The long term viability of the Eurozone (and certainly the economic viability of the garlic zone) remains basically fu*&ed. And this will not get unf$#@ed until something major and structural is changed.

We see this week Germany growing and all the rest of the Eurozone still in recession, with some shockingly bad numbers across the board. France is particularly screwed. How long can this persist? At what point do the garlic zone voters give up and start giving Brussels the finger? Italy is perilously close to meltdown. The whole Eurozone is one shock away form collapse and/or rampant Japan style deflation. They're facing a lost decade or worse. And, horrible though it may seem, this recovery is well advanced and another recession will come along at some point, maybe soon. The markets are overvalued and bubbles from London property to Chinese credit to US equities will pop. And when the next pop arrives the Eurozone is structurally unable to respond. Their governments and banking systems do not have the resources to repeat 2008.

So....personally I'm not sure that some all-powerful, all consuming, Star Trek Borg collective-like Monster EU is still going to be there to absorb us. We may be voting to leave or remain in a pile of smoking wreckage.

• Options

Neil said:

I think a lot of civil servants may vote with their feet. It's always fascinating to see a coterie of hacks who have run a trade union into the ground try to get their members to vote for a takeover without admitting that it's needed because they've run the union so badly for the last few years!
  • Options
    Patrick said:

On topic: The gorilla in the corner of the whole Brexit debate is timing. Whatever happens we'll not get an In/Out referendum before 2017 at the earliest. But what state will the EU we would vote to leave or remain in be like by then? The Euro problem is decidedly unfixed.

The EU bureaucracy have played a brilliant game of extend and pretend - but the fundamental flaws remain. The long term viability of the Eurozone (and certainly the economic viability of the garlic zone) remains basically fu*&ed. And this will not get unf$#@ed until something major and structural is changed.

We see this week Germany growing and all the rest of the Eurozone still in recession, with some shockingly bad numbers across the board. France is particularly screwed. How long can this persist? At what point do the garlic zone voters give up and start giving Brussels the finger? Italt is perilously close to meltdown. The whole Eurozone is one shock away form collapse and/or rampant Japan style deflation. They're facing a lost decade or worse. And, horrible though it may seem, this recovery is well advanced and another recession will come along at some point, maybe soomn. The markets are overvalued and bubbles from London property to Chinese credit to US equities will pop. And when the next pop arrives the Eurozone is structurally unable to respond. Their governments and banking systems do not have the resources to repeat 2008.

So....personally I'm not sure that some all-powerful, all consuming, Star Trek Borg collective-like Monster EU is still going to be there to absorb us. We may be voting to leave or remain in a pile of smoking wreckage.

I quite like the idea of France leaving the EU. It seems very possible to me, and if they do, it could start a trend. There'd certainly be pressure within the UK, and if we left the cost burden on the other net contributors would increase.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Any thoughts on this?

They are clearly basing the assumptions on a YES vote ;-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Even though I hate the Green Party agenda in a way I do not hate UKIP's agenda, I find myself bashing heads with Kippers on here on a regular basis.

I'm available for arguments about the Green party agenda if that helps!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Neil said:

Neil said:

I think a lot of civil servants may vote with their feet. It's always fascinating to see a coterie of hacks who have run a trade union into the ground try to get their members to vote for a takeover without admitting that it's needed because they've run the union so badly for the last few years!
    Are you enjoying the Green surge in the polls? Daydreaming about Ms Bennett being summoned to Buckingham Palace? :-)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    edited May 2014
    Neil said:

I look forward to EdM saying that this takeover should be blocked as it fails the public interest test....

Or not.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MikeK said:

Do you think it's all part of some anti-UKIP plot? Perhaps Draghi has bribed ipsosMori to do some kind of push poll. Or maybe the vicious Europhiles just made the number up...

Or maybe most people don't share your obsession.

More seriously, I suspect that this is largely the consequence of UKIP being a deeply polarising party. We see it on here. Even though I hate the Green Party agenda in a way I do not hate UKIP's agenda, I find myself bashing heads with Kippers on here on a regular basis. Has it changed the way I would vote at a referendum? Probably not. But it might turn quite a few "don't knows" into tentative "ins".
    Please read my 8:25am post. I answered this before you posed the question. ;)
  • Options

Financier said:

Didn't they block a takeover of (yogurt manufacturer) Danone last year?

Can't remember, but didn't they put that under health? Not that it matters as the French only obey laws that are in their interest and ignore laws that are not in their interest.
  • Options

Patrick said:

We see this week Germany growing and all the rest of the Eurozone still in recession, with some shockingly bad numbers across the board. France is particularly screwed. How long can this persist? At what point do the garlic zone voters give up and start giving Brussels the finger? Italt is perilously close to meltdown. The whole Eurozone is one shock away form collapse and/or rampant Japan style deflation. They're facing a lost decade or worse. And, horrible though it may seem, this recovery is well advanced and another recession will come along at some point, maybe soomn. The markets are overvalued and bubbles from London property to Chinese credit to US equities will pop. And when the next pop arrives the Eurozone is structurally unable to respond. Their governments and banking systems do not have the resources to repeat 2008.

I quite like the idea of France leaving the EU. It seems very possible to me, and if they do, it could start a trend. There'd certainly be pressure within the UK, and if we left the cost burden on the other net contributors would increase.
    Not sure they would leave, they like feeling important too much.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

Not a fan of polls anymore?

Is that since the gap between yes and no started widening again?

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/05/poll-of-polls-12-may/

Perhaps people have started to think about "Prime Minister Salmond"?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Patrick said:

France is the 5th? 6th? largest economy in the world. They are important.
  • Options

Are you enjoying the Green surge in the polls? Daydreaming about Ms Bennett being summoned to Buckingham Palace? :-)

We tend to do better as these elections get closer. It's all about what it means in seats (in Europe and locally) though. As I have said on numerous occasions Ms Bennett is up for re-election later in the summer.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Patrick said:

They'd be less important.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,972
    There appear to be an increasing number of Brits living elsewhere in the EU. Not just retirees in Spain, people working as well. Assuming they are prospering aren’t they going to be advocates for the EU within their own families and circle of friends?
  • Options

"Ernst & Young did a survey (UK Attractiveness Survey 2013) last year, which found that two thirds of businesses in North America and Asia thought the UK would be a more attractive destination for investment if we were outside the European Union."

http://www.ukipdaily.com/7-reasons-vote-ukip-jobs-jobs-jobs/

Please read the E&Y report: http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Ernst-and-Youngs-attractiveness-survey-UK-2013-No-room-for-complacency/$FILE/EY_UK_Attractiveness_2013.pdf

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Neil,

In the same way that Ukip are demonised, the Greens are portrayed as wanting to take us back to the stone age, living in caves, making fires with recycled furniture and dying of any random disease as we don't approve of vaccinations or nasty drugs that have been tested on animals. That's assuming we haven't already died of starvation as the organic food ran out years ago.

And while being against nuclear power and fracking, they would have approved of coal mining if Ug had just stumbled across it.

An accurate description?
  • Options

There appear to be an increasing number of Brits living elsewhere in the EU. Not just retirees in Spain, people working as well. Assuming they are prospering aren’t they going to be advocates for the EU within their own families and circle of friends?

There are more brit expats outside the EU. Aren't they advocates for a global/commonwealth future outside the EU?
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Patrick said:

They'd be less important.
    Tosh.

• Options

Patrick said:

The EU could not survive (in its current state) the exit of France.

I have said 100x on here (and I'll say it again), the future of the whole European 'project' depends on France. If it reforms - as Spain has done - then the Euro and the Eurozone will survive. If it clings to its labour market model, then it will not. A fixed currency regime is not compatible with an inflexible labour market. You can choose one or the other.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    malcolmg said:

Financier said:

Any thoughts on this?

snip

@malcolmg

You and I know that it is rubbish, but unfortunately HMGs take more notice of an Academic based Institute. that you and I and they may get considerable funding to expand their ideas - especially with a LibDem in place at Energy.

Even though this Institute (part of Anglia Ruskin Univ) was set up about 3 years ago and has assumed a title of Global, it has over a dozen staff, awards PhDs, and already calls its people experts. Sustainability is a popular subject for many governments as well as the EU and they could get a lot of funding, notwithstanding their obvious agenda.

Of course in the long term they are right, but it would be interesting to reveal their source of funding.

I have not found this report on their web-site.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @AnotherDave

BOOer anecdote vs empirical research. The voters don't care about Europe. And when they are forced to think about it because Kippers bang on about it, they say: "better off in".
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Given that the public now want to stay in the EU, there's not much point having a referendum that will cost millions.

Good call by Ed Miliband?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

ToryJim said:

AJK said:

Great point.

Not a fan of polls anymore?

Is that since the gap between yes and no started widening again?

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2014/05/poll-of-polls-12-may/

Perhaps people have started to think about "Prime Minister Salmond"?
    The trend isn't Eck's friend - could be heading for sub 45% yet.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

Given that the public now want to stay in the EU, there's not much point having a referendum that will cost millions.

Good call by Ed Miliband?

Could say the same for the IndyRef :p
This discussion has been closed.