Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling on how Ed Miliband compares to Gordon Brown

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited May 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling on how Ed Miliband compares to Gordon Brown

There’s some polling by YouGov for The Times which has attracted headlines such as “Voters trust Miliband less than Brown”, but analysing the figures the results aren’t as bad for Ed and Labour as it first appears

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    edited May 2013
    The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that Ed, for lack of a better word, is good. Ed is right, Ed works. Ed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Ed, in all of his forms; Ed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And Ed, you mark my words, will not only save the Labour Party, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the UK. Thank you very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8y6DJAeolo
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2013
    'Ed can console himself, that with Ipsos-Mori, the gold standard of leadership ratings, he’s consistently led David Cameron for quite some time.'

Irrelevant: See the real "gold standard" of Lebo & Norpoth...

Incumbency... Incumbency... Incumbency...

Cameron will win the popular vote. Only FPTP can traduce that outcome...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "UK's growing economy will leave Europe behind: Austerity is 'appropriate' says OECD as eurozone stagnates

* Economic watchdog cuts growth forecast for 2013 to 0.8%
    * Backs George Osborne's cut programme as 'appropriate'
    * Warns mortgage guarantee scheme will push up house prices
    * Sounds the alarm on youth unemployment in the long-term":

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2332635/UKs-growing-economy-leave-Europe-Austerity-appropriate-says-OECD-eurozone-stagnates.html
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Btw, thanks to Next, on previous thread.

We have uncovered something remarkable, perhaps crucial...
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    While copying some of my old videotapes onto DVD, I came across a documentary programme in which there was a contribution from the historian John Costello (1943-1995). I knew that he had died suddenly, but it was only when I googled him yesterday that I discovered that his death may have been suspicious, and that he might have been poisoned.

From googling, I could find only references from immediately after his death, but nothing more recent about what the results of tests or post-mortem might have been. Does anybody know any more about it? Is it just a mad conspiracy theory?
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 29th May - CON 30%, LAB 37%, LD 11%, UKIP 14%; APP -36
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Gordon Brown's rehabilitation is still some way off.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @Antifrank

I admire your optimism. Do you really think Brown will ever be rehabilitated?
  • Options
    Just saw COMM RES TELE POLL in the Mail:

C 30
    L 34
    UKIP 17
    LD 10
  • Options

@Antifrank

I admire your optimism. Do you really think Brown will ever be rehabilitated?

That's unclear. But the poll is more a story of the decline in Gordon Brown's reputation than of Ed Miliband failing to inspire.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Surely the time is now for red to stop hiding behind his blank piece of paper.

New ideas take time to percolate down with the voters - only 20 months until a GE must be called.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good morning, everyone.

Will it take two months for Miliband to write "It'll be like France under Hollande"?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited May 2013
    TGOHF said:

New ideas take time to percolate down with the voters - only 20 months until a GE must be called.

He only has one idea - spend spend spend.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, One Notion?
  • Options
    @TGOHF

That might be what you want Ed M to do, but it would be lunacy for Ed to start giving away his policies now.. you might have to wait a year for the definitive stuff .
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, One Notion?

@Morris Dancer LOL
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    "The Times piece also says Mr Miliband is aiming to use the next two months to show how he would “change the direction of Britain so it works for the many”, it will be interesting how this will change his ratings and the voting intention"

Slightly downwards. He never quite explains what he proposes, but he tries to explain what he is and what he stands for, in clunky language. He comes a little unstuck every time.
  • Options

@TGOHF

That might be what you want Ed M to do, but it would be lunacy for Ed to start giving away his policies now.. you might have to wait a year for the definitive stuff .

Well so you say, but Ed's speeches are full of such wonky twaddle it will take a year to translate them into english.

saying "let's spend loads" just saves time.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

TGOHF said:

He only has one idea - spend spend spend.
    Ed M is planning to put Ed Balls in charge of the sweetshop.

It is Viv Nicholson on steroids.

http://www.vivnicholson.co.uk/#!viv-nicholson-book-spend-spend/c8h0

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    The Rehabilitation of Gordon Brown...

post that one on Guido then run.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

@TGOHF

Well so you say, but Ed's speeches are full of such wonky twaddle it will take a year to translate them into english.

If I squint at Labour policy/ethos without microscopic examination, let's call it a "popular view", I see them opposing so far everything the govt has done economically and vs Europe. I see them support eg. GM. I see a "mis-speaking" about whether spending would go up or down and then an admission that it would go up. I think there was something about "predistribution" but I can't be bothered to spend time working out what that means (and nor can anyone else) and I see a nice enough TV-appropriate policy wonk, some wholly unknown colleagues and a well-known bruiser who is rapidly increasing his comedic value.

All very well but a long long way (>18 months) from anything I might want to "get behind" and actually vote for.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,377
    scampi said:

Just saw COMM RES TELE POLL in the Mail:

C 30
    L 34
    UKIP 17
    LD 10

That's the poll that was published Tuesday night and discussed here

http://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/05/28/pb-nighthawks-is-now-open-9/

• Options
    TOPPING said:

@TGOHF

If I squint at Labour policy/ethos without microscopic examination, let's call it a "popular view", I see them opposing so far everything the govt has done economically and vs Europe. I see them support eg. GM. I see a "mis-speaking" about whether spending would go up or down and then an admission that it would go up. I think there was something about "predistribution" but I can't be bothered to spend time working out what that means (and nor can anyone else) and I see a nice enough TV-appropriate policy wonk, some wholly unknown colleagues and a well-known bruiser who is rapidly increasing his comedic value.

All very well but a long long way (>18 months) from anything I might want to "get behind" and actually vote for.
    I still can't work out why EdM left the Big Bang Theory, he could have had a career.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

@TGOHF

There is something very wrong with a country of 62 million that can only produce a choice between Dave Cameron and Ed Milliband as possible PM. We are doomed.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,377
    I'm not going to be anywhere near the internet between 10am and 4pm.

Can I urge news organisations not to publish polls, cabinets ministers not to resign or Ed to make a major policy announcement between those times.

Thanks.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Ed is in serious danger of losing the centre ground to Cameron who with the advent of UKIP looks ever more like the heir to both Blair and Clegg.

If Ed doesn't find some centre left issues to light up his potential supporters (Strong unequivocal European leadership would do it for me) he's in danger of being buried without trace.

@antifrank. I'm certain Brown will be rehabilitated. Why? Because he deserves to be and eventually history gets things right.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ed is in serious danger of losing the centre ground to Cameron who with the advent of UKIP looks ever more like the heir to both Blair and Clegg.

If Ed doesn't find some centre left issues to light up his potential supporters (Strong unequivocal European leadership would do it for me) he's in danger of being buried without trace.

@antifrank. I'm certain Brown will be rehabilitated. Why? Because he deserves to be and eventually history gets things right.

Is that rehabilitated in the sense of a criminal being reintroduced to society ?

" I've paid my debt to society all £1.2 trillion of it guvnor"
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    Voters never did go "OMG No!!!" about Gordon to the extent that Tories thought they would - there were certainly some who we didn't get in 2010 because of him but the defeat was more about the economic situation and the evident fact that we were worn out. Ed is still largely undefined in most voters' minds, and as he's been around some time they interpret that as weakness, but I don't think they've really decided about him.

Incidentally, the current YG shows that the proportion who'd like to see the current coalition continue after the election is down to an embarrassing 7%.
  • Options
    @NP

Why is it embarrassing? perhaps voters don't like coalitions.
  • Options
    @Roger Gordon Brown's reputation is of current importance for Ed Miliband. The less impressed the general public are with Gordon Brown in 2015, the harder Ed Miliband will need to work to overcome sour memories of the last government. Indeed, this polling seems to show that the memory of the last government is a serious drag on Ed Miliband's own reputation.
  • Options
    @Antifrank

Gordon Brown can never be rehabilitated. Facts are facts. The macroeconomic decisions of the New Labour years can not simply be erased and our debt and deficit are what they are - which is his bequeath to the nation.

And these same facts also have Ed Balls' fingerprints all over them , not just the Prime Mentalist's. This is an ongoing problem for Redward.
  • Options

Voters never did go "OMG No!!!" about Gordon to the extent that Tories thought they would - there were certainly some who we didn't get in 2010 because of him but the defeat was more about the economic situation and the evident fact that we were worn out. Ed is still largely undefined in most voters' minds, and as he's been around some time they interpret that as weakness, but I don't think they've really decided about him.

Incidentally, the current YG shows that the proportion who'd like to see the current coalition continue after the election is down to an embarrassing 7%.

There is a singular lack of enthusiasm for any alternative though.

Ed has been leader for nearly three years. If he has not established what he stands for yet, then the thought has to be that either he does not know himself, or is incapable of expressing it coherently.

I am still forecasting a small Labour majority and Ed as PM. I think it will be a financial catastrophe to have Ed Balls in the Treasury, but I may do well out of a Labour govt personally. I would like the NHS to last a bit longer, and for my gold plated inflation linked pension to carry me closer to retirement. At that point I may emigrate.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    Surely the answer to this question is quite straightforward. Is Ed a better leader than Gordon Brown? Unequivocally yes. My daughter's cat is a better leader than Gordon Brown.

Unfortunately for Ed he is too close to Brown for comfort. I think the ditherer tag is one he really needs to watch. That is poisonous. He also has allowed others to define him for the last 2 years by refusing to clarify (in English) what he stands for. He should look really hard at some of the blue Labour ideas and pick 2 or 3 that he approves of. Two or three comprehensible ideas would define him better than any number of "who I am" speeches.

Personally, I hope he carries on making the same mistakes as he has for the last two years. This country needs a Brown lite leader about as much as it needs membership of the euro and anything that reduces the chances of that is a good thing.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

The Brown/Blair tryst was so toxic not to say absurd that it would have been funny had it not threatened to take the country down also, so no, voters might not have said “OMG No” but they did say “OMG can the Lab party get any more dysfunctional?”
  • Options
    ..and so a 'being better than Gordon' poll is a bit like a 'More compassionate that Genghis Khan' poll...or nicer than Hitler...or more female friendly than Jack the Ripper...
  • Options
    There's a spicy EU story today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22712569

That should help fill the hours of 10am and 4pm on here.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    TGOHF said:

Still way too early. Tory attempts to smoke out Labour policies won't work.

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,970
    That's a nice, soulful picture of Ed. Change it to black and white and it could
    certainly have graced the cover of a Smiths single c.1985
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

They don't need to give us a five-yr plan on the NHS or for their PSBR forecasts.

They need to create a "mood", a personality that people can say - yes, that sounds about right. These are people I can do business with/vote for.

The Cons in opposition were always the party of small(er) govt and individual responsibility although that has been worn away at the edges.

Lab's central plank/tendency is to spend more on a larger state as they believe that way they can equalise opportunity. But if that's it until the election I don't think it is compelling especially as no one quite believes them and such a plan has been shown to be unworkable in eg. La France.

There needs to be a theme other than "we want the world to be a better place".
  • Options
    antifrank said:

@Roger Gordon Brown's reputation is of current importance for Ed Miliband. The less impressed the general public are with Gordon Brown in 2015, the harder Ed Miliband will need to work to overcome sour memories of the last government. Indeed, this polling seems to show that the memory of the last government is a serious drag on Ed Miliband's own reputation.

I think that is right antifrank and that Brown's reputation has fallen sharply since the election. For years we had people like Nick Robinson assuring us that the relationship with Blair was fine, that the rumours of discontent were exaggerated and whatever else Balls and his team wanted him to say on the BBC.

Since the election the poison at the heart of new Labour has been admitted in book after book by former cabinet members. I suspect we will get one from David Miliband at some point and it won't be happy reading either. This has not only tainted Brown, it has tainted Labour that put up with that nonsense and elected that man unopposed.

Miliband really needs to break away from all of that. I think he recognised that early (he is smart) which is why he did not want Balls at shadow chancellor. Alas, he was left with little choice and separation is now more difficult. He tries by apologising for various things like immigration but only seems to make the mud stick that bit more firmly.

One of his problems, pointed out at the time is that, like Cameron, he will have been leader for a long time by the election and any shiny newness will have worn off. Not much he can do about that either.

As I tory I need to hang on to these threads. I recognise the problems the tories have and this is all that gives us a chance.

• Options
    Roger said:

@eagle
    "I'm not going to be anywhere near the internet between 10am and 4pm."

Does that mean your Kafkaesque policy of 'moderating' posts for capricious reasons (like this one) will be suspended during those hours?

Philistine. A true artist would enjoy living in the world of Kafka, why only yesterday morning I woke up as a giant beetle.
  • Options
    Mr. Nashe: I was looking for a job and I found a job, but Heaven knows I'm miserable now? :p
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

I would not expect detailed policies yet, but the direction of travel needs to be clear.

What will Labour austerity look like?

Which coalition changes will be reversed?

Or will he plan a Hollande like tax and spend policy?

Those are the choices, and they will lead to internal party fights, so best get them resolved soon.

Dithering can only go on so long.

I think EdM may be a tolerable PM, certainly better than Gordon, but this is largely because expectations are so low that anything more than total incompetence would appear to be a success.
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Labour only needs 35% of the vote to govern. Everything else is fluff.
  • Options
    Pains me to say it - as I desperately want the Labour Party to just die - but maybe Ed should put Darling into the Shadow Chancellor role. Balls is a major part of the toxic legacy.
  • Options

He should invest in a light brown suit from J Crew.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

of course they won't, there aren't any.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    http://plus.maths.org/content/maths-minute-arrows-theorem

This article on the mathematics of voting systems on the plus maths website will interest Rod and others.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @Alanbrooke

"Philistine. A true artist would enjoy living in the world of Kafka, why only yesterday morning I woke up as a giant beetle."

I'm glad you managed to save that. I've been one step behind the censor all morning. That was the second draft which went the way of the first. Swallowed by a giant cockroach.

You're not called Eagle are you?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    OT. Why does 'Migration Watch' always say of immigrants "That's like a town the size of Birmingham"? Is Birmingham deliberately chosen? Why not 'an area the size of the Cote d'Azur' or 'an island the size of Tahiti'? Are they concerned that people might see immigrants in a too attractive light?
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    If Ed were to fall under a bus today, what would his principle legacy as Labour leader be? Pretty much mothing springs to mind, the best I can do is that he put the words "one nation" is front of everything he said and encouraged his candidates to do the same. He has, however, never articulated what this means and anyway, it seems to contradict his class war theme.

So that's it, an empty vaccuous two word cliche. I don't see many people voting for it and am increasingly tempted to plunge on the tories for most seats as their mid term blues approach the nadir.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

You should be more concerned as to what the reaction will be when Labour does reveal some policies.

Because they aren't going to meet the demands of its supporters.

This isn't 1997 when Labour could promise anything safe in the knowledge that they would inherit a strong economy.

Instead they'll have to deal with the mess left they left behind in 2010 plus whatever Cameron and Osborne have added to it.

All with a general background of the transfer of economic power away from Europe.
  • Options
    Roger said:

OT. Why does 'Migration Watch' always say of immigrants "That's like a town the size of Birmingham"? Is Birmingham deliberately chosen? Why not 'an area the size of the Cote d'Azur' or 'an island the size of Tahiti'? Are they concerned that people might see immigrants in a too attractive light?

Like!

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Roger said:

Roger - the reason is that Birmingham (both population and size) is readily quantifiable and is something the MW's readers can quickly relate to.

At the same time the Cote d'Azur or Tahiti are places with which many would not familiar and beyond their experience (excepting of course celebs and those in the advertising profession) and may need an atlas to locate them.

Even Wikipedia is a little vague in describing the Cote d'Azur as "There is no official boundary, but it is usually considered to extend from the Italian border in the east to Saint-Tropez, Hyères, Toulon or Cassis in the west" - and there is some distance between Toulon and Saint-Tropez.
  • Options
    Schards said:

If Ed were to fall under a bus today, what would his principle legacy as Labour leader be? Pretty much mothing springs to mind, the best I can do is that he put the words "one nation" is front of everything he said and encouraged his candidates to do the same. He has, however, never articulated what this means and anyway, it seems to contradict his class war theme.

So that's it, an empty vaccuous two word cliche. I don't see many people voting for it and am increasingly tempted to plunge on the tories for most seats as their mid term blues approach the nadir.

Surely, he would be most known for backstabbing his brother.
  • Options
    Roger said:

standard unit of measurement:

Size (Birmingham or, more usually, Wales)
    Volume (swimming pools)
    Height (Nelson's Column or double decker buses)
  • Options
    Off topic. Now that Stoke have appointed Mark Hughes as manager I would see them as near certainties for relegation along with Crystal Palace - and I don't fancy Hull's chances too much either.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2013

Roger said:

Like!

Good morning all.
    Because, my dear Roger and Nick, that is a simile that most people will understand. The 'Cote d'Azur' or an island like Fiji would be meaningless to most Britons.
    Are you concerned that people might see immigrants in a much too unattractive light?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Roger said:

Like!

Good morning all.
    Because, my dear Roger and Nick, that is a simile that most people will understand. The 'Cote d'Azur' or an island like Fiji would be meaningless to most Britons.
    Are you concerned that people might see immigrants in a much too unattractive light?
    Thanks for explaining that Mike.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,308

Off topic. Now that Stoke have appointed Mark Hughes as manager I would see them as near certainties for relegation along with Crystal Palace - and I don't fancy Hull's chances too much either.

Agreed Thomas.

Hughes for Pulis? Can anybody explain to me why Stoke traded down?

• Options
    Roger said:

Birmingham was, and in many ways still is, a dynamic hub of free enterprise. Sneering at it as unattractive says more about how metropolitan lefties see the world than it does about migration watch.

Under Joe Chamberlain Brum was a major world city. We need to recapture that spirit not look down on it. We cannot all make our living serving you at the Ivy.
  • Options
    tim said:

Still Danhodges.com I see.

This would be fun

@georgeeaton: Labour is considering tabling an amendment calling for an EU referendum before the election, reveals @rafaelbehr http://t.co/E71o2okwBH

It's clearly the right strategy, but Ed Miliband has made it as hard as possible for himself to lead it.
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210

Would agree with that, Palace - no chance, Hull - no chance, then Stoke, Cardiff and Sunderland (Di Canio car crash there at some point) battling out for the last spot.

In the championship I seriouly fancy Reading at 11/1, they have the right manager, they've sorted a lot out in the 2 months he's already been there (whereas QPR and Wigan haven't started that process) they're unlikely to lose many players, there's nothing to fear in the division or from those coming up from League 1, they are financially stable.

Whilst results didn't show it, they were 100 X better at the end of the season than they were for most of it and that's before Adkins has signed anyone.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Serious allegations of a cover up instigated by ex PM. Blair, and supported by the current PM. Cameron, have been aired by David Owen, re the `Chilcot inquiry'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/10086837/The-whiff-of-suspicion-over-the-Chilcot-Inquiry-grows-stronger.html
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited May 2013
    MikeK said:

Roger said:

Like!

Good morning all.
    We could play the Pick Your Population Location all day - how about the same size as Qatar for example!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_(graphical)
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    antifrank said:

There's a spicy EU story today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22712569

That should help fill the hours of 10am and 4pm on here.

Frustratingly the article fails to explain what the standard EU residence test is and what the UK-variant habitual residence test is.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    A rather elegant deconstruction of Michael Gove's troubles with truth and the teaching of history:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/politics/2013/05/mr-men-game
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

The Man The Voters Left Out In The Cold
  • Options
    I'm going to issue an apology to rEd here and now.

We all laughed when he said Hollande would reverse the trend of austerity and lo and behold France has been given more time by the EU to get it's deficit in line.

Now this may be due to the shocking growth figures and triple double dip recession in Frogland but you know credit where it is due - the rate of paying back debt has been slowed by Mr Hollande - so 3 cheers all round for him , rEd and socialism.

• Options

A rather elegant deconstruction of Michael Gove's troubles with truth and the teaching of history:

Could you not give a one line summary - life is too short to read what the Staggers thinks of Gove - more evidence he is doing something right IMHO if they are whining again.
  • Options
    Schards said:

Would agree with that, Palace - no chance, Hull - no chance, then Stoke, Cardiff and Sunderland (Di Canio car crash there at some point) battling out for the last spot.

In the championship I seriouly fancy Reading at 11/1, they have the right manager, they've sorted a lot out in the 2 months he's already been there (whereas QPR and Wigan haven't started that process) they're unlikely to lose many players, there's nothing to fear in the division or from those coming up from League 1, they are financially stable.

Whilst results didn't show it, they were 100 X better at the end of the season than they were for most of it and that's before Adkins has signed anyone.
    Agree that 11/1 is a good price for Reading, but the championship is always so unpredictable that I would never bet on it. I'm tempted by a treble on Stoke, Hull & Palace though?
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420

There is something very wrong with a country of 62 million that can only produce a choice between Dave Cameron and Ed Milliband as possible PM. We are doomed.

Doubtful; Outwith HMP where would these failures get employment? Just look at them: Would you wish them to be receiving your patients at reception...?
  • Options
    Schards said:

A nadir is a nadir until a deeper nadir is discovered :-) A little early for Tory cockiness, perhaps.

• Options
    Schards said:

He'd still have a better legacy than the last 2 Labour leaders - there aren't thousands dead or billions lost from the coffers.

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

of course they won't, there aren't any.
    Correct. That's the point I'm making: there aren't any yet, which is the right approach. It's far too early to launch policies which will a) take the pressure off the government and b) will in any event be based on notoriously unreliable economic forecasts of where we will be in 2015
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited May 2013
    What I find most astonishing about Labour's current position is that (with a few exceptions) they don't seem to be terrified, as they should be, of winning on their current non-platform and with a spectacularly weak leadership. Of course, it is true that the exceptions are very significant ones - Lord Mandelson, Tony Blair - and that some of the most thoughtful Labour commentators - Hopi Sen, Dan Hodges - repeatedly try to draw the party towards some engagement with reality, but the overall mindset seems to be complete complacency, both about the election and even more so about what they would do if, God forbid, they end up in power in 2015. Time after time, Ed Miliband has dug traps for himself with his opportunistic and cynical opposition to anything which might save a bit of taxpayer money; that's not actually smart politics even in the short-term (voters aren't THAT stupid), and it is storing up problems for the medium term.

The truth is that his piece of paper isn't blank at all; it's a long list of things which need to be done but which he has crossed out.
  • Options
    @ Nick Palmer
    Of course you are not being a bit cocky are you ?. I wouldn't get too chipper about it, The Tories had a 28% lead in one poll before the last election and a fat lot of good it did them.
  • Options

The Man The Voters Left Out In The Cold
    One Smiths single from 1985 was "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore".

Earlier in the year they released "How Soon Is Now", whose opening lines were:

"I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is criminally vulgar
    I am the son and heir, of nothing in particular".
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    Roger said:

Possibly because neither Tahiti nor the Cote d'Azur are in Britain.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    edited May 2013
    TGOHF said:

Could you not give a one line summary - life is too short to read what the Staggers thinks of Gove - more evidence he is doing something right IMHO if they are whining again.

One sentence summary: Regius Professor of History at Cambridge (the world's top ranked university for history teaching) discusses why Gove tells demonstrable untruths to create a false impression of how history is taught in schools.

Obviously that does not bother some folk. Just as they are eminently relaxed about the likes of IDS and Schappsy mangling facts and figures to create a false impression about welfare recipients.

• Options
    Roger said:

Derh! No-one would be the name Wodger and 'intelligent' within the same sentence...!

:buggah:
  • Options
    Out of curiosity - I just checked the population of Tahiti - its 178k. So even if its the same geographical size as Birmingham - it has less than 20% of the population.

That is happens to be in Polynesia and Birmingham is in the West Mids is clearly another factor weather wise...
  • Options
    edited May 2013

What I find most astonishing about Labour's current position is that (with a few exceptions) they don't seem to be terrified, as they should be, of winning on their current non-platform and with a spectacularly weak leadership. Of course, it is true that the exceptions are very significant ones - Lord Mandelson, Tony Blair - and that some of the most thoughtful Labour commentators - Hopi Sen, Dan Hodges - repeatedly try to draw the party towards some engagement with reality, but the overall mindset seems to be complete complacency, both about the election and even more so about what they would do if, God forbid, they end up in power in 2015. Time after time, Ed Miliband has dug traps for himself with his opportunistic and cynical opposition to anything which might save a bit of taxpayer money; that's not actually smart politics even in the short-term (voters aren't THAT stupid), and it is storing up problems for the medium term.

The truth is that his piece of paper isn't blank at all; it's a long list of things which need to be done but which he has crossed out.

There is a complacency about Labour which rather reminds me of the tory party in the period up to 1997 and for an incredibly long time thereafter. There is an assumption of their right to rule (I think I have seen a link about that on here in the distant past) which means that they will inherit their entitlement in due course.

I suspect this is a natural consequence of being in government and making decisions for a very long time and Labour have a much better excuse than the tories did given that they did reasonably well in 2010 considering. I hope this complacency continues. Compare and contrast what Blair did in the early 90s to what Miliband has done for the last 2 years. That is the difference between someone who knew elections had to be won and someone who seems to assume he is the default choice.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT tim & rcs1000 & nick palmer

Taxing unearned gains such as house price inflation leads to a more efficient use of scarce resources than taxing income from work
    And has less effect on incentives.

But of course I recognise you're strangely in favour of tax cuts for the biggest incomes too,along with protecting tha biggest property gains.
    Be more honest if you just said that wealthy people called Charles shouldnt be liable.

Anyway, I thought you were supposedly in favour of higher council tax bands which hit people with property gains rather than on income level?

I am in favour of a property tax, but I think this should be on all residential property rather than above an arbitrary threshold. The funds released should be clearly allocated to eliminating other more damaging taxes (such as employment based taxes, fuel taxes, etc) plus those taxes (stamp duty and a lot of council tax) that overlap.

The challenge is always with people who bought houses a long time ago and now face a very significant sum in annual tax. I would tend to take the view that the tax should be set based on purchase price and then only increased every year by inflation (basically the Californian system). This would protect the widows, etc, from being forced to sell their house [and yes, tim, I would benefit short-term, but realistically I am going to move in the next 3-4 years at which point my tax would increase] but it would be a self-correcting anomaly. Additionally, it would likely reduce property values (by the present value of the future tax liability) and make BTL less attractive on the margin thereby reducing property prices for first time buyers.

Now please withdraw the rather unpleasant allegation that you made in your post, tim. I should ask you to apologise as well, but I know you won't, because you are a graceless individual, so why bother.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

How sad is it when people discuss "History", indeed claim to hold a Masters in said subject, yet do not understand the context of 'The Holy Roman Empire'. If Stuart Dickson was still amongst us then the 'challenged' could be taught about Central-Europe, it's wars and it's peoples (c.f. Scania, Pomerania)....

Sadly we have leftist revisionism to "progress" to: The past is-but-a-mirage and history begins from 1997. I may regret that my line is soon to be extinct: I fear for those on 'B'-Ark that have children that will suffer from misguided consequences of left-wing bigotry....
  • Options

TGOHF said:

One sentence summary: Regius Professor of History at Cambridge (the world's top ranked university for history teaching) discusses why Gove tells demonstrable untruths to create a false impression of how history is taught in schools.

Obviously that does not bother some folk. Just as they are eminently relaxed about the likes of IDS and Schappsy mangling facts and figures to create a false impression about welfare recipients.

" Dusty old handwringing academia type sides with the left in marxist rag" is snappier tbh.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited May 2013

One sentence summary: The distinguished professor seems rather confused:

Why, too, does the Secretary of State feel it necessary to keep denigrating the dedicated people who teach history in our schools? Where is his patriotic pride in the historical profession in our country, the best in the world?

And his evidence for this?

The recently released QS rankings of university history departments across the globe put Cambridge top, Oxford second and other British universities such as the LSE, UCL and Warwick only a little way behind.

Well, Gove wasn't talking about universities, or about the tiny number of privileged schoolchildren who go on (in large part from the best private schools) to Cambridge, Oxford or other top universities to read history. He was talking about the huge majority of the under-educated whom Professor Evans will never come across in his ivory Cambridge tower.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

SO: That is a politically biased assessment of that article. The author focuses mostly on teaching of history at universities and for A level and hardly mentions teaching of history for those who will not study it further and yet will find history useful and for future interest - a basic chronological appreciation of our history which is based on verifiable facts and not on the opinions of a few authors and teachers.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915

Roger said:

Birmingham was, and in many ways still is, a dynamic hub of free enterprise. Sneering at it as unattractive says more about how metropolitan lefties see the world than it does about migration watch.

Under Joe Chamberlain Brum was a major world city. We need to recapture that spirit not look down on it. We cannot all make our living serving you at the Ivy.

"Sneering at it as unattractive says more about how metropolitan lefties see the world than it does about migration watch. "

Well said. Condemned by his own words.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Out of curiosity - I just checked the population of Tahiti - its 178k. So even if its the same geographical size as Birmingham - it has less than 20% of the population.

That is happens to be in Polynesia and Birmingham is in the West Mids is clearly another factor weather wise...

@Plato: You would not expect Roger to know that - (Birmingham is in the West Mids) - not within his usual range of habitats.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Financier said:

Plato said:

@Plato: You would not expect Roger to know that - (Birmingham is in the West Mids) - not within his usual range of habitats.
    Imagine how tim would react if Cameron were to say

"Each year enough immigrants enter Britain to fill an area the size of the Côte d'Azur..."

Setting out immigrants in a positive light? Or out of touch fop toff ?
  • Options
    "The contribution immigrants make to the economy is equivalent to the value of five priceless works of art per annum"
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I see you are calling the reduction in housing benefit a "tax" now on your website. It's better than calling it a tax, I suppose. But still not right. ;-)
  • Options
    Financier said:

TGOHF said:

SO: That is a politically biased assessment of that article. The author focuses mostly on teaching of history at universities and for A level and hardly mentions teaching of history for those who will not study it further and yet will find history useful and for future interest - a basic chronological appreciation of our history which is based on verifiable facts and not on the opinions of a few authors and teachers.
    I have to say that that was my impression as well. It is hardly an answer to Gove's criticisms of how history is taught in junior schools to point out that Cambridge has the highest ranking in the world.

From my own experience with my children I think that there have been significant improvements in the way history is taught in school. It is more analytical and teaches transferable skills such as report writing etc. When I was at school it was simply learn and regurgitate facts, mainly about extremely dull agricultural machinery in the 18th century.

These things are a balance. You cannot have a meaningful analysis without some basic grasp of the facts and the narrative. That is Gove's point. On the other hand we would not want to lose the improvements that have come either which is the professor's point.

It depresses me that such a discussion becomes so polarised and political. Both sides are at fault here. The teaching professions are incredibly precious and unwilling to be open to other views. Gove, as a politician, tries to paint his argument in overly vivid colours getting their backs up yet further.

Some moderation of language on both sides would be a good thing. This article was not a step in that direction.

• Options
    tim said:

isam said:

Financier said:

Plato said:

"Each year enough immigrants enter Britain to fill an area the size of the Côte d'Azur..."

Unless I missed the late Monagesque surge Roger isn't PM.
    Although I'm sure his Date Night photoshoots soul be more subtle than Dave's if he were.
    The way he misquotes statistics to suit him he is well qualified be a member of this government

• Options
    Are our history teachers the "best in the world" in a Stafford NHS kind of way ?

You lefties need to give up your public sector sacred cows - things can always be improved and feedback is the breakfast of champions.

When did public sector workers become so thin skinned ?
  • Options
    You sometimes hear people say that the world's entire population could fit on the Isle of Wight. That would be seriously impressive levels of immigration.

If this feat is ever to be attempted, I would prefer that we try to do so in Tahiti.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    isam said:

"The contribution immigrants make to the economy is equivalent to the value of five priceless works of art per annum"

I think we could cut out the middle man here and just use TVL fee based metrics :^ )

I gather their recently cancelled IT project was worth over 1 million of them!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    DavidL said:

Compare and contrast what Blair did in the early 90s to what Miliband has done for the last 2 years. That is the difference between someone who knew elections had to be won and someone who seems to assume he is the default choice.

Interesting analysis apart from the fact that Blair was not leader in the early 90s. He became leader in July 1994, less than three years before the GE. Most of his reforms were in the period immediately running up to polling day.

• Options
    tim said:

isam said:

tim said:

isam said:

Financier said:

Plato said:

Unless I missed the late Monagesque surge Roger isn't PM.
    Although I'm sure his Date Night photoshoots soul be more subtle than Dave's if he were.
    The way he misquotes statistics to suit him he is well qualified be a member of this government

IDS - immigrants on benefit fill an area the size of Australia.
    Shapps - if you put the wheelchairs of all the disabled immigrant benefit claimants on top of each other they would reach Mars
    WMD can be fired at the UK in 45 minutes...

This discussion has been closed.