Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : May 30th 2013

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited May 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : May 30th 2013

Fazeley, a small town (and not to mention, civil parish) is located on the outskirts of Tamworth and as such as been part of the electoral ding dong that has become the norm in the south of Staffordshire, north of Warwickshire and north west of Leicestershire.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    More interesting by election than most. Thanks.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Er - oops. Sorry. Can't we post links to non-related stuff on 'x'?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I live near this area and I can say that Fazeley's claim to fame is that it makes Tamworth seem interesting and exciting.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited May 2013
    @tim

All sorts of things seem to be disappearing. I just wrote a response to Carola about SamCam and that's gone.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@tim

All sorts of things seem to be disappearing. I just wrote a response to Carola about SamCam and that's gone.

I think because the source is Mr X.

• Options
    Two maids gets 10 years in jail and a thousand lashes for witchcraft in Saudi Arabia:

http://www.emirates247.com/crime/region/two-maids-get-10-years-1-000-lashes-for-sorcery-2013-05-20-1.507147

Why the hell do we sell arms to these savages?
  • Options
    @Carola

I don't know who Mr X is and I've forgotten where your story came from!
  • Options
    Nigeria Senate passes 14 year old punishment for gay rights proponents:

http://76crimes.com/2013/05/30/nigeria-senate-oks-14-years-in-prison-for-lgbt-supporters/

God it's depressing how backwards so much of the world is. The least we could do is stop people with such views from coming here.
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    The current site rule is not to discuss anything directly or indirectly, related to Andy Coulson, or phone hacking.

As I understand, the rule has not changed.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @GuidoFawkes: INFOGRAPHIC: Ed v Gordon http://guyfawk.es/12QLHNC
  • Options
    'Ed Miliband is a blancmange in a hurricane' Gove (trying to sound like Boris):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10089425/Ed-Miliband-is-a-blancmange-in-a-hurricane.html
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Carola said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ed-miliband/10089425/Ed-Miliband-is-a-blancmange-in-a-hurricane.html

You forgot to post this bit from the article - Labour’s leader is weak, indecisive, lacks clarity, and has turned his party into a vacuum ;-)

• Options
    tim said:

Carola said:

You forgot to post this bit from the article - Labour’s leader is weak, indecisive, lacks clarity, and has turned his party into a vacuum ;-)

The bit I liked best was, while claiming Ed has done nothing over the last few weeks Dave has

ensured gay men and women at last enjoy full equality before the law

Could that be the same Dave who had to beg Miliband to help him get the measure through against his own bigoted party?
    Calm down lad,you seem abit upset tonight.

Brave dave went against his party on this.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,892
    tim said:

Carola said:

The bit I liked best was, while claiming Ed has done nothing over the last few weeks Dave has

Could that be the same Dave who had to beg Miliband to help him get the measure through against his own bigoted party?

Well he has done more than that, he has ensured they get two options of partnership in law against heterosexuals one.

Petty point, and who really cares, but it aint equality, and I think there would be a fuss if the roles were reversed

Peter Tatchll made this point on QT last week
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    With a bit of chutzpah, Miliband could rip the Tories in half over the EU. Does he dare?

The idea of tabling an amendment to the Tory bill demanding a referendum before the next election is gaining currency in Labour ranks

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/politics/2013/05/bit-chutzpah-miliband-could-rip-tories-half-over-eu-does-he-dare

Make my day,do it big boy.
  • Options
    Possible/probable stupid question regarding gay marriage... once it is legal, will gay people bother with civil partnerships anymore?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Fazeley is the town where my mother was born. It was once a mining town. The local accent was closer to Yorkshire than Birmingham.

The local dialect had some unique words. To my grandparents a moggie was a mouse. Smoke puthered, picky eaters were mincers, birds chelped.

I'm sure that it is dying out rapidly and that my mother is in the dialect equivalent of one of those native American tribes with three speakers.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    tim said:

Carola said:

Why does opposing gay marriage make you a bigot?

Old fashioned, stuck in the past or simply governed by religious beliefs I agree with, but bigot? I don't think so.
  • Options

tim said:

Carola said:

Old fashioned, stuck in the past or simply governed by religious beliefs I agree with, but bigot? I don't think so.
    If you havent drastically altered your opinion on a change to a centuries old institution that nobody was suggesting 2 years ago, you are a bigot

• Options
    From Game Of Thrones to Willy Wonka and the Simpsons. I've heard of politicians getting down "wyd da kids" but seriously (from the Gove article)?

Over the same period, as far as I can see, Ed Miliband managed to attend Google’s Big Tent conference. There, he gave a lecture on business ethics that held up Willy Wonka as the model of a successful modern entrepreneur and attacked Montgomery Burns – a character from The Simpsons – as a representative of the predatory capitalism that is our biggest contemporary problem.
  • Options
    isam said:

tim said:

Carola said:

If you havent drastically altered your opinion on a change to a centuries old institution that nobody was suggesting 2 years ago, you are a bigot

tim said:

tim said:

Carola said:

Go and watch the debate, the Tory backbenches were swimming in naked bigotry
    So what you are saying is that all Muslims are bigots? Thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    What will Miliband call his 2015 Manifesto ~ Jackanory?
  • Options

From Game Of Thrones to Willy Wonka and the Simpsons. I've heard of politicians getting down "wyd da kids" but seriously (from the Gove article)?

Over the same period, as far as I can see, Ed Miliband managed to attend Google’s Big Tent conference. There, he gave a lecture on business ethics that held up Willy Wonka as the model of a successful modern entrepreneur and attacked Montgomery Burns – a character from The Simpsons – as a representative of the predatory capitalism that is our biggest contemporary problem.

I quite like that!

• Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    The fact that the ward was split between Con and Lab in 2007 and that Labour managed to field just 1 candidate for 3 vacancies in 2011 suggests to me that the state of the local party is not particularly good....
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Isam

Yes you are. And people were. You just weren't listening
  • Options
    isam said:

I quite like that!

Presumably Ed sees himself as Charlie.....

• Options
    Someone making a comment on this article...

'David Cameron believes in marriage – so why doesn’t he support it?'
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10089443/David-Cameron-believes-in-marriage-so-why-doesnt-he-support-it.html

... seems to think that the look Dave's giving George in the photo is 'telling'.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822
    Evening all :)

Instead of arguing the pros and cons of Ed Miliband, I'll consider the more immediate question of moment which is who wins the Oaks tomorrow ?

The favourite is SECRET GESTURE who hosed up in the Oaks Trial at Lingfield but I'm not certain what she beat while MOTH was a strong-finishing third in the 1000 Guineas. Given the fantastic record of Coolmore in the race, I was sorely tempted to select her and could well be throwing away the winner but I've backed the Sir Michael Stoute-trained LIBER NAUTICUS who won the Musidora at York in good style.

Looking ahead to the Derby, I'm on BATTLE OF MARENGO at 6/1 in the expectation the race will be run at a murderous gallop and there's enough question marks over DAWN APPROACH's stamina to make supporting him at Even money too risky a proposition.

As for the Politicalbetting.Com May 2015 General Election Handicap for 3-y-o of all ages, I'll reserve judgement till I see the full list of runners and riders.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,199
    DavidL said:

More interesting by election than most. Thanks.

This is a local election for local people! There's nothing for you here!
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

tim said:

Carola said:

tim said:

tim said:

Carola said:

So what you are saying is that all Muslims are bigots? Thanks for clearing that up.
    This site is plagued by sad bastards stereotyping Muslims

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFO8UGQ78Eg

You're not fit to clean Richard Tyndall, the anti racist UKIPer's shoes
    Bit harsh isn't it?

I am not racist, anti-Muslim or anti gay marriage, live and let live is my motto.

I was merely pointing out that many people who oppose gay marriage are either old fashioned or do so on religious grounds, they are not bigots. You, however, disagree so the only conclusion must be that YOU regard Muslims as bigots.

You can't have it both ways.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

With a bit of chutzpah, Miliband could rip the Tories in half over the EU. Does he dare?

The idea of tabling an amendment to the Tory bill demanding a referendum before the next election is gaining currency in Labour ranks

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/politics/2013/05/bit-chutzpah-miliband-could-rip-tories-half-over-eu-does-he-dare

I posted that earlier, it's potentially the biggest story of the day by a long way.

Not only would this move rip the Tories in half, it would rip the coalition and the government in half. Which begs the question, why doesn't Miliband just do it?

I wonder if the spectre of political events spiralling out control to such an unpredictable degree after a move such as this, makes it the big reason not to do it? After all, politicians do like to be in control of events.

It does seem such an open goal for Miliband.

• Options
    Labour shortlists

Hove:
    Simon Burgess (2010 Kemptown candidate, former council leader, shortlisted for Croydon North by-election) www.simonburgess.org/home/
    Peter Kyle (Deputy CEO at ACEVO, a charity that supports CEOs of other charities)
    Adrian Twyning (Associate Director of Operations Brighton & Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust, responsible for children and women’s services) www.adriantwyning.co.uk/

Hornsey & Wood Green:

Kirsten Hearn (2012 GLA list candidate)
    Mandy Richards (2012 GLA candidate in Redbridge & Havering)
    Catherine West (Islington council leader)

10 applications were received to be the Labour candidate in Hampstead & Kilburn
  • Options
    tim said:

isam said:

tim said:

Carola said:

tim said:

tim said:

Carola said:

This site is plagued by sad bastards stereotyping Muslims

You're not fit to clean Richard Tyndall, the anti racist UKIPer's shoes
    It was clearly a mistake for him to say "all", but 59% of Muslims oppose gay marriage, higher than any other religious group. Do you believe they are bigots?

29% of Muslims support the thing, which is higher than I expected and good to see.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

tim said:

I posted that earlier, it's potentially the biggest story of the day by a long way.

Not only would this move rip the Tories in half, it would rip the coalition and the government in half. Which begs the question, why doesn't Miliband just do it?

I wonder if the spectre of political events spiralling out control to such an unpredictable degree after a move such as this, makes it the big reason not to do it? After all, politicians do like to be in control of events.

Please Ed, do it.

Shame he hasn't got the guts.

• Options
    Fenster said:

tim said:

Millliband won't do it. He loves the EU way to much to risk getting the wrong answer.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    IOS said:

Isam

Yes you are. And people were. You just weren't listening

Haha! OK I must have missed it!

Actually I was studying a Humanities degree at Brighton Uni in 2010/11 and despite being amongst the most left wing, right on, LGBT folk I ever met....nobody there mentioned it!

But you know best
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited May 2013
    Tory twits running about comically like headless chickens again.
    Sam Wylde ‏@Sam_Wylde 7h

If all Tory MP's obeyed the whip for an EU Referendum in 2017 vote, add a deal with the DUP (8 MPs)and 13 Labour Rebels you have a majority!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @ Tim

Yeah, it must be very tempting.

But why do you think Clegg would need to pile in? Surely enough Tory backbenchers would support it.

I would've thought he could kill three birds with one stone here: tear the Tories apart, tear the coalition apart and leave the public with the image of Clegg and the Lib Dems as the rabid EU-supporting, anti-referendum party.

• Options
    tim said:

@Socrates

Do you believe they are bigots?

I don't believe everyone who opposes gay marriage is a bigot, I do believe that a large number of Tory backbenchers I heard speak are bigots, and I'm sure many Muslims are too.
    What I despise is the stereotyping and generalisations in Nigels post and those that Richard Tyndall gave you a sound kicking over at the weekend.
    Hope you learned a lesson.

Why on earth would I need a lesson? I'm not anti anything, I was merely digging out you and your preposterous posturing.

As for generalisations, you were the one who accused opponents of gay marriage as bigots, same as your fond of generalising against Tories by occasionally posting "Tory scum".

Now you have been questioned and pulled up re your ludicrous generalisations you have apologised, I accept your apology. Hope you have learnt a lesson.

• Options

Fenster said:

tim said:

Millliband won't do it. He loves the EU way to much to risk getting the wrong answer.
    Cameron will be hoping you are right. When I read this piece this morning I just thought the pros for Miliband hugely outweigh the cons. It almost seems a no-brainer.

• Options

tim said:

@Socrates

I don't believe everyone who opposes gay marriage is a bigot, I do believe that a large number of Tory backbenchers I heard speak are bigots, and I'm sure many Muslims are too.
    What I despise is the stereotyping and generalisations in Nigels post and those that Richard Tyndall gave you a sound kicking over at the weekend.

Why on earth would I need a lesson? I'm not anti anything, I was merely digging out you and your preposterous posturing.

As for generalisations, you were the one who accused opponents of gay marriage as bigots, same as your fond of generalising against Tories by occasionally posting "Tory scum".

Now you have been questioned and pulled up re your ludicrous generalisations you have apologised, I accept your apology. Hope you have learnt a lesson.

Apologised? Where?

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @isam

I think you're right - I wasnt aware of a major groundswell of demand for gay marriage, most of my friends treated civil partnership as gay marriage. I always had the feeling that it was more about Cameron positioning himself and his party. But I have no idea what he was really thinking.
  • Options
    tim said:

Fenster said:

tim said:

Clegg would have to pile in behind Miliband, his activists would demand a firm pro EU stance and wouldn't want Ed being the sole driver of it.
    Anyway Labour would probably have a few dozen Tory rebels lining up behind a referendum now for fear of what UKIP leaning grassroots would do to them if they supported a delay to 2017.

Watching the Tories rip themselves to shreds with their funders on one side and their grassroots on the other and Cameron hung from a lamp post, has to be tempting doesn't it.

Sorry Tim, I can see why you say Clegg would have to be behind it.. I geddit now.

Seems a bit weak though if that is the reason not to do it. If Miliband wants to form a majority government the easiest way to do it would be to a) split the coalition and b) turn Tory activists towards UKIP, and c) subsequently trigger a right-wing coup within the Tory party.

Making this move looks likely to precipitate that.

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    God only knows why dave promoted this guy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22720007

The more he opens his mouth, the more bullshit falls out.
  • Options
    eckythumpereckythumper Posts: 27
    Yet another Survation poll imminent.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Pong said:

God only knows why dave promoted this guy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22720007

The more he opens his mouth, the more bullshit falls out.

Maybe he's cheap? Michael Green may well work for nothing. ;)

• Options
    isam said:

tim said:

@Socrates

Apologised? Where?

Sorry, I should have said corrected himself for yet another smear/generalisation.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

Fenster said:

tim said:

Cameron will be hoping you are right. When I read this piece this morning I just thought the pros for Miliband hugely outweigh the cons. It almost seems a no-brainer.

Why,I have a feeling Cameron would welcome it,it's ed who would be going against his own beliefs,go for it ed.

• Options
    So, many voters think Ed Miliband is crapper than Gordon Brown, do they?. That Milliband is likely to be the next PM, albeit probably without a majority, just shows you how lax Cameron is.

Milliband should push for that EU referendum, finish Cameron off, then waltz into number 10.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    tim said:

There is one negative from Labour's point of view. If Labour tables an amendment to call for a referendum before 2015, doesn't it effectively shoots the UKIP fox ?

Is that in Labour's interest ?
  • Options
    If Labour do put forward their own amendment it could backfire on them. Given the likes of people such as Douglas Carswell are preaching peace with the leadership over the EU ("we've got what we asked for") then such an obvious ploy by Labour could create far greater unity with the vast majority of Conservatives and Libdems voting down the amendment.

Cameron can justifiably claim he would not have sufficient time to negotiate a sufficient return of powers, its the wrong time, EU still in mess blah blah blah and therefore such a referendum would be a straight in/ out and as such would not be able to offer what seemingly the plurality of voters desire. As such he would also likely be able to take sufficient of the electorate with him on the issue of the amendment as well.

The problem for Miliband if the amendment is voted down is that he has sanctioned a proposal for a referendum on the EU which makes it much more difficult to repeal the referendum lock legislation, should he want to, and with ever closer integration coming down the line I'm sure Miliband would not want to be in the position of being forced into a referendum. It's all very well indulging in these whizzo intrigues but they do have a habit of coming back to bite those who thought them up.
  • Options
    Neil said:

@isam

I think you're right - I wasnt aware of a major groundswell of demand for gay marriage, most of my friends treated civil partnership as gay marriage. I always had the feeling that it was more about Cameron positioning himself and his party. But I have no idea what he was really thinking.

Thanks.

I think it was more about chasing votes than any deep conviction.

I know people can change their minds, but a politician going from pro section 28 and that rambling interview about the whipped vote, to a pioneer of equality smells dodgy to me

• Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    If you honestly believe that they "have got what they asked for" then you are as gullible as Cameron
  • Options
    tim said:

Fenster said:

tim said:

Fenster said:

tim said:

Clegg would have to pile in behind Miliband, his activists would demand a firm pro EU stance and wouldn't want Ed being the sole driver of it.
    Anyway Labour would probably have a few dozen Tory rebels lining up behind a referendum now for fear of what UKIP leaning grassroots would do to them if they supported a delay to 2017.

Watching the Tories rip themselves to shreds with their funders on one side and their grassroots on the other and Cameron hung from a lamp post, has to be tempting doesn't it.

Sorry Tim, I can see why you say Clegg would have to be behind it.. I geddit now.

Seems a bit weak though if that is the reason not to do it. If Miliband wants to form a majority government the easiest way to do it would be to a) split the coalition and b) turn Tory activists towards UKIP, and c) subsequently trigger a right-wing coup within the Tory party.

Making this move looks likely to precipitate that.

That's the calculation isn't it, lancing the EU boil for a generation, and In will win, helps the Tories and stops them leaking to UKIP
    But on the other hand Ed leading the In campaign with the unions and the CBI behind him forces Cameron to march to his step, a bit like the gay marriage vote if you like, Dave will have six months of purgatory supporting In and half his MPs writing letters to the 1922 committee the day after the result.
    Clegg would just support In with no downside.

What's more I suspect that people on the In side are getting a it fed up with all these silly f*cking golf club twats having the game fought on their home course.
    Which in the end may count for more than anything.

Anyway well see, I always priced it up as evens that Labour would have an in/out referendum as policy before the next election, see no reason to change that, and you'll note that none of the blowhards on here are prepared to put their money up.
    So now Ukip supporters are "silly f**cking golf club twats?

Excellent, another sweeping generalisation from the man who accuses others of it, not to mention being on a par with Cameron and his childish insults.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Putney, the comments are now closed on the latest pb2 thread so I'm replying to you here.

Is the alleged infringement related to the tyre test by Mercedes, perchance?
  • Options
    IOS said:

If you honestly believe that they "have got what they asked for" then you are as gullible as Cameron

I don't but it doesn't matter what I think it's what elected Tory representatives think and if the likes of Carswell and Hannan have been making a big show of saying "they've got what they've asked for@ (just read their blogs) then I doubt such a plan will work. If Better Off Out Tories like them are saying that then I think its pretty likely that the vast majority of the PCP will swallow their doubts and desires to stop such a transparent ploy from Labour as long as they can keep pressure on Cameron for 2017.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

If Labour do put forward their own amendment it could backfire on them. Given the likes of people such as Douglas Carswell are preaching peace with the leadership over the EU ("we've got what we asked for") then such an obvious ploy by Labour could create far greater unity with the vast majority of Conservatives and Libdems voting down the amendment.

Cameron can justifiably claim he would not have sufficient time to negotiate a sufficient return of powers, its the wrong time, EU still in mess blah blah blah and therefore such a referendum would be a straight in/ out and as such would not be able to offer what seemingly the plurality of voters desire. As such he would also likely be able to take sufficient of the electorate with him on the issue of the amendment as well.

The problem for Miliband if the amendment is voted down is that he has sanctioned a proposal for a referendum on the EU which makes it much more difficult to repeal the referendum lock legislation, should he want to, and with ever closer integration coming down the line I'm sure Miliband would not want to be in the position of being forced into a referendum. It's all very well indulging in these whizzo intrigues but they do have a habit of coming back to bite those who thought them up.

Don't agree. The public do not know or care about the minutiae of EU powers. Once they have been given, the majority will accept that the people were given a straight in/out choice and the people have spoken with their votes.That will take care for the next 40 years.

The Tory right / UKIPers maybe fascinated by EU shenanigans; most people are not including many Tories.
  • Options
    Frankly the Labour amendment wheeze seems exactly the sort of gungho idea that the 'Young Turks' would have come up with. Uncle Alistair will have to come out of Scottish exile and sort them out!
  • Options
    @Surbiton ,That will take care for the next 40 years

That's if the stay in vote wins.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Don't agree. The public do not know or care about the minutiae of EU powers. Once they have been given, the majority will accept that the people were given a straight in/out choice and the people have spoken with their votes.That will take care for the next 40 years.

The Tory right / UKIPers maybe fascinated by EU shenanigans; most people are not including many Tories.
    The public's view of this will be secondary (I only mentioned it to elaborate that I wouldn't expect such machinations to harm Cameron's vote share as as you have said most people won't care so we agree on that). The key to the success of this Labour amendment is how the PCP respond (assuming the Libdems will automatically oppose it) in which case the question is can Cameron get sufficient votes. I think he could. If you don't thats fair enough. We'll agree to disagree.

After all its Miliband who will end up with egg on ihis face if it doesn't work and that's fine by me.
  • Options
    tim said:

Frankly the Labour amendment wheeze seems exactly the sort of gungho idea that the 'Young Turks' would have come up with. Uncle Alistair will have to come out of Scottish exile and sort them out!

Nice build up to the next election, Darling wins the Scottish referendum, Miliband wins an EU IN referendum and the Tories cut off Cameron's testes.

Fantasise as much as you like I don't believe there will be a referendum on the EU this side of 2015 and I am as Eurosceptic as they come.
  • Options
    It is rather amusing seeing all these Labour supporters banging on about Europe. Don't ya know people don't care about it.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Given the corrupt monster-state is currently falling to bits and France is next on the menu i find it hard to believe the europhile political class will risk a referendum under any circumstances.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    @tim and @SeanT. Why don't you fellas get a room?
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, is that a honey badger as your profile picture?
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, is that a honey badger as your profile picture?

It is. Quite a tory one.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

Nice build up to the next election, Darling wins the Scottish referendum, Miliband wins an EU IN referendum and the Tories cut off Cameron's testes.

There is absolutely no prospect of Miliband supporting a pre-2015 IN/OUT referendum. It would be political suicide however tempted he might be by the false idea of exacerbating the Tory split.

Just imagine Obama asking Hillary to visit Miliband for informal discussions on the issue (much discussed and photographed) and the Clintons and Obama leaning on Tony and Gordon to reprimand publically their jumped up predecessor.

The move would even cause Ed's greatest European ally, Citoyen Hollande, to shun and avoid the boy.

And finally, and most ludicrously, such a move would be only way unite the Conservative Party and show it to be a disciplined fighting force bar getting the Argentine to reinvade Las Malvinas.

• Options
    If Cameron had a honey badger as chief whip he'd suffer far fewer Commons rebellions.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Why is that the more I see of Mad Medhi on QT, the more I tend to find myself agreeing with him?

Is he becoming more sensible, or am I losing my marbles?

Interesting front pages tomorrow - Bridger, Bridger, Bridger. And then the Express: "House prices surge again!"

You couldn't make it up (as a columnist for their main rival would say...)
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Anna showing up Diane on email screening and The Communications Bill.

UKIP should forget about the East MIdlands and concentrate solely on the less salubrious extremities of the South Coast.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited May 2013
    Ed Miliband would have to be terminally insane to do a 100% U-turn of his position of just a few days ago on a matter of major constitutional importance for nakedly opportunistic, purely party-political, reasons two years before an election.

Go on, Ed, do it. I dare you.
  • Options
    tim said:

Why is that the more I see of Mad Medhi on QT, the more I tend to find myself agreeing with him?

Interesting front pages tomorrow - Bridger, Bridger, Bridger. And then the Express: "House prices surge again!"

Imagine how PB would've exploded if Mark Bridger was a Muslim convert.
    Imagine the political class covering up the Bridger story for years.
  • Options
    More trouble for May's Snooper's Charter

Snooper's charter is threat to internet freedom, warn web five in letter to May

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/30/snoopers-charter-web-five-letter
  • Options

Mad Mehdi sometimes talks quite a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Definitely a property bubble in London. £275k houses going within 24hrs at £300k.
  • Options
    Now Osborne's upsetting the Yanks:

US fears over cuts in British defence
    Defence cuts will leave the British Army “dependent” on its US counterparts, a senior American commander has warned.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/10090309/US-fears-over-cuts-in-British-defence.html
  • Options
    MrJones said:

tim said:

Or hundreds of Bridgers.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mad Mehdi sometimes talks quite a lot of sense.
    What sensible things has he said. Seems a bit deranged and shouty to me.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,799
    Jonathan said:

Definitely a property bubble in London. £275k houses going within 24hrs at £300k.

But they won't get up to £301k because the stamp duty rate rises steeply at the £300k threshold.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

But they won't get up to £301k because the stamp duty rate rises steeply at the £300k threshold.
    I wouldn't be so sure. Seems a touch irrational out there right now.
  • Options

What sensible things has he said. Seems a bit deranged and shouty to me.

He does sometimes, but he's tackled some difficult and very controversial issues thoughtfully. I don't often agree with him, but at least he's thinking for himself and not parroting the expected line:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/anti-semitism-british-muslim-community_b_2922013.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-hasan/10-things-i-learned-about_b_1966235.html

• Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

Jonathan said:

The threshold is at £250k.

• Options
    tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

The Master Race is marching

@IndyPolitics: BNP leader Nick Griffin urges supporters to ignore police ban on planned march at scene of Drummer Lee Rigby's... http://t.co/3CgFD1jOcO

Blood and soil man, blood and soil.
    100s of Bridgers covered up for years.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

@IndyPolitics: BNP leader Nick Griffin urges supporters to ignore police ban on planned march at scene of Drummer Lee Rigby's... http://t.co/3CgFD1jOcO

I think you are being a little unfair here. The Muslim paedophile sex rings that are coming to light having had police, social services and their own communities turn a blind eye for a decade or more have not yet been convicted of murder. They may be violent perverts but they are not murderous perverts.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936
    SmithersJones - Considering the Obama administration is pushing its own defence cuts through Congress a little hypocritical from that US General methinks. However, with even the OECD criticising the ring-fencing of departments this week leaving areas like defence to bear more of the burden, I have some sympathy with his sentiments
  • Options

MrJones said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

I think you are being a little unfair here. The Muslim paedophile sex rings that are coming to light having had police, social services and their own communities turn a blind eye for a decade or more have not yet been convicted of murder. They may be violent perverts but they are not murderous perverts.
    Fair point.
  • Options
    tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

100's of corpses covered up by the BBC and the Jews, of course there were.
    Not 100s, true.
  • Options
    Re: London housing market. Just sold my flat for more than the asking price but now amid the sluggish rigmarole of surveys solicitors etc etc --- the experience makes me think HIPs weren't a bad idea after all.
  • Options
    tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

Not 100s, true.
    I guess that's progress, in Stormfront terms.

Charlene Who?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

MrJones said:

tim said:

Not 100s, true.
    I guess that's progress, in Stormfront terms.

Charlene Who?
    Go on, tell me the child death that the Jews and the BBC have been covering up then.One of hundreds

There have been deaths, like Charlene Downes but not 100s. Most people don't know the names for the same reason most people didn't know about the grooming. The political class covered it up.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936
    PPP Virginia Governor poll
    •Terry McAuliffe (D) 42% (46%)
    •Ken Cuccinelli (R) 37% (41%)
    •Undecided 21% (13%)
  • Options
    Ukip lady tacking left on NHS. Clever. Worrying.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

SmithersJones - Considering the Obama administration is pushing its own defence cuts through Congress a little hypocritical from that US General methinks. However, with even the OECD criticising the ring-fencing of departments this week leaving areas like defence to bear more of the burden, I have some sympathy with his sentiments

I agree with you on both counts but additionally do wish the US would mind its own business a little more. They are just starting to get a little tiresome in their opinions.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

She is doing very well, will be an MP in time I am sure.
  • Options
    Con 423 Lab 375
  • Options

Con 423 Lab 375

Considering the bell weather nature of the constituency, very interesting indeed.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Agreed. Superb performance - far better than those who have been MPs for years.
    Clever Ukip positioning on the NHS could mop up some Labour votes in areas where Labour cannot win.

• Options
    tim said:

I think Mr Griffin may be in trouble given the provisions of sections 12(6), 13(9) and 14(6) of the Public Order Act 1986. That may be exactly what he wants.
This discussion has been closed.