Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday night polls have the battle very tight

SystemSystem Posts: 11,004
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday night polls have the battle very tight

ENGLAND ONLY figures from Opinium/Observer poll
CON 36
LAB 33
LD 8
UKIP 14
GRN 7
Represents a 4.2% CON to LAB swing in England since GE10

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2015
    First again.

UKIP % holding up nicely considering all of the negative programmes broadcast the last couple of weeks.

I wonder when/if we will start to see the Con/Lab vote share increase at the expense of the insurgent parties. It was supposedly going to happen months ago and has yet to happen.
  • Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    I contributed to a Polling Matters podcast on election betting this week
    http://kpedley.podbean.com/e/polling-matters-ep-12-political-betting-w-matt-shaddick-from-ladbrokes/

If you've only got time to listen to one of these though, ignore mine and head straight for the one with Chris Hanretty which I found very informative.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,258
    edited March 2015
    Other snippets from YouGov

People support the idea of leaders debates by 69% to 19% and by 57% to 8% think they are good for democracy

The 7-7-2 format of leaders debates is supported by 45% of people

The idea of just a straight debate between Cameron and Miliband is supported by 42% of people, opposed by 42% of people

If David Cameron doesn't agree to take part in the TV debates 55% think they should go ahead without him

50% of people think that Cameron is scared of debating the other party leaders, 32% that he isn't

38% blame Cameron for the breakdown in the debate negotiations, 13% the broadcasters, 23% both equally
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited March 2015
    I expect UKIP will be up in the next ICM/Ipsos Mori polls.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    I do hope this Cameron broadcast really does go ahead. Great Stuff!
  • Options
    Artist said:

I expect UKIP will be up in the next ICM/Ipsos Mori.

I think we'll get Ipsos Mori next week, and ICM the following week.

Both have UKIP at the lower end of the spectrum

I expect Dave's ratings will take a hit with Ipsos-Mori.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,790
    Am genuinly surprised Tories haven't taken a bigger hit in tonight's voting intention.

Maybe Monday?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @euanmccolm: i will legislate to put neighbours back on bbc 1.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I don't rate Cameron but Miliband yet again has confirmed that we could have a much worse PM. Making debates the law, is Ed really seriously proposing that?

Cameron might yet be a lucky general.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @TheScreamingEagles
    And I repeat, will this be before or after the official campaign starts?
    (the answer to this might give Brave Dave pause for thought)
  • Options
    One of the TTOI writers...

@simonblackwell: @PippaCrerar @iainmartin1 I'm glad we stopped. Difficult to beat reality now.

@iainmartin1: @simonblackwell You wouldn't have scripted an Opposition leader making it a crime to not have TV debates. Too silly. @PippaCrerar
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2015
    Al Murray FUKP @almurray
    ·
    Oh, Ed.

• Options

Pippa Crerar @PippaCrerar
    ·
    Election debates enshrined in law? For real?! It's getting more The Thick of It as every day passes.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    glw said:

I don't rate Cameron but Miliband yet again has confirmed that we could have a much worse PM. Making debates the law, is Ed really seriously proposing that?

Cameron might yet be a lucky general.

Ed, miraculously snatches defeat from the jaws of victory again. His front bench must despair.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Am genuinly surprised Tories haven't taken a bigger hit in tonight's voting intention.

Maybe Monday?

Most of the fieldwork would have taken before the broadcasters' announcement yesterday.

That said, as with most issues, how much salience does the topic of TV debates have?
  • Options
    If the chicken does run, can you imagine the glee of the remaining attendants as they attack the Tories and Cameron with no one there to defend them, well apart from Clegg obviously.
  • Options
    @Tykejohnno
    Having clear guidance on any future debates is silly?
    Interesting. What other bits of electoral law are silly my ranting blue friends?
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Christ on a bike.

Ed potentially had a really strong hand there for 24 hours. Has he no advisers?

Coming next: legislation to enshrine in statute the principle that everything must be nice, and nothing must be nasty. And to outlaw voting conservative.
  • Options

how much salience does the topic of TV debates have?

Somewhere below monkey tennis...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,122
    If the tories were to have any chance of a majority they would have to be 3-4 points clear by now and moving away. They're not. The longer we stick with this draw situation the better bet Labour largest party should be.

At the moment it is a straight trade off between the electoral efficiency advantage that Labour has in England and the melt down Labour are suffering in Scotland. In 2005 that advantage was worth about 100 seats in England. It will not be that much this time but I still think being on the Labour side of that bet is the smart place to be.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    If the voters vote Ed in, they will deserve what they get. I cannot think of anyone worse than Brown.. but Ed's making a go of it to overtake Brown in awfulness.
  • Options

Stephen Pollard ✔ @stephenpollard

Ed Miliband's message this weekend is that he wants to pass a law to make other party leaders talk to him. Really.

• Options
    DavidL said:

If the tories were to have any chance of a majority they would have to be 3-4 points clear by now and moving away. They're not. The longer we stick with this draw situation the better bet Labour largest party should be.

At the moment it is a straight trade off between the electoral efficiency advantage that Labour has in England and the melt down Labour are suffering in Scotland. In 2005 that advantage was worth about 100 seats in England. It will not be that much this time but I still think being on the Labour side of that bet is the smart place to be.

The Tories are 4% ahead with ICM.

Just saying
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

Blink....

Also mentioned on that front page, Steve Hilton is back too...Not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing for the Tories. He did the Joe Rogan podcast last year and he was very very interesting, but totally unsuited to politics.
  • Options

Stephen Pollard ✔ @stephenpollard

Ed Miliband's message this weekend is that he wants to pass a law to make other party leaders talk to him. Really.

Eddie no mates...
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    The unasked question from You Gov. Whilst it purports to say voters "blame " Dave, they don't ask if he was right ...
  • Options
    saddened said:

Ed, miraculously snatches defeat from the jaws of victory again. His front bench must despair.

Last night I thought Cameron had definitely blown it, but I hadn't factored in Ed's penchant for idiotic student union like politics.

Either Cameron got very likely, or the people advising him are bloody geniuses.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955
    YouGov gold standard confirmed (like there was any doubt?) ;)
  • Options
    shadsy said:

I contributed to a Polling Matters podcast on election betting this week
    http://kpedley.podbean.com/e/polling-matters-ep-12-political-betting-w-matt-shaddick-from-ladbrokes/

If you've only got time to listen to one of these though, ignore mine and head straight for the one with Chris Hanretty which I found very informative.

Keiran Pedley is a top bloke.
  • Options
    @RupertMyers: Next, the Offences Against Appearing On The Marr Show Act 2016
  • Options
    Sunday Times front page: Osborne tax bonanza for 27m voters

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_hr3TgVEAArxMK.jpg
  • Options

DavidL said:

Just saying
    Its the hope that kills you TSE. A bit like being a Liverpool fan in the last 10 years.
  • Options
    @glw
    We will go through this very slowly for you.
    Why does Dave claim the debates are not taking place this time?
    (take your time, and you can confer)
  • Options

If the voters vote Ed in, they will deserve what they get. I cannot think of anyone worse than Brown.. but Ed's making a go of it to overtake Brown in awfulness.

I've thought for a couple of years now that Ed will make us reappraise Brown. Brown is the worst PM in living memory, but Ed's going to top him.
  • Options
    glw said:

I've thought for a couple of years now that Ed will make us reappraise Brown. Brown is the worst PM in living memory, but Ed's going to top him.
    @georgeeaton: Brown wanted to be shadow international development secretary under Miliband, reveals @JohnRentoul http://t.co/MUm6fjiPBa
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Just saying
    Its the hope that kills you TSE. A bit like being a Liverpool fan in the last 10 years.
    10 Years ago, we won the Champs League, that still gives me the chills.

I said the Tories wouldn't get a majority in 2015 a while ago, and have been betting accordingly.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@glw
    We will go through this very slowly for you.
    Why does Dave claim the debates are not taking place this time?
    (take your time, and you can confer)

To quote someone else on here "I don't actually think he knows what is going on".
  • Options
    @glw
    Now at this point I will have to hurry you, or throw it open to your fellow participants.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,002
    Smarmeron said:

@Tykejohnno
    Having clear guidance on any future debates is silly?
    Interesting. What other bits of electoral law are silly my ranting blue friends?

Personally, I think the idea of having to register a political party with the Electoral Commission is pretty illiberal. And I would like to see early voting in person like they have in some US states.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Totally wrong (and I rarely say that to you!)

Swingback is real, it happens, Rod Crosby is right. Right now people *feel* they are doing OK, the country isn't quite as fecked as it was, help we could be Greece, hold on to nurse, Jesus do we really want Little Ed Miliband as bacon-sandwich-eating PM, etc. Factor in the probable Labour annihilation in Scotland and it is now perfectly feasible to see Cameron easily getting most seats, and maybe even winning a slender majority.

See my prior post: a tiny shift of a couple of points (likely in Cameron's favour, as we near deciding time) and he has a hefty plurality and almost a majority.

Also see Miliband's desperate desire for debates. He knows he needs them. Because he is beginning to look like a loser.

Beginning?
  • Options
    Tim Montgomerie ن @montie
    ·
    Miliband wants a law to compel politicians to attend TVdebates. I want a law to stop politicians proposing silly laws

• Options
    @compouter2
    No, they are all experts here, and know "stuff".
    They tell me all the time
    Perhaps though you could help them out?
  • Options
    And now to important news.

"Duo Electro Velvet picked for UK Eurovision entry"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31769776

• Options
    Has Ed secretly hired Ollie Reader to fill in his blank page of policies?
  • Options
    @PeterMannionMP: What was I was saying about BBC 'empty chair' threats and Charter Renewal? #tvdebates See @janemerrick23 @Independent http://t.co/I1Ctll6SAd

So as it stands, Cameron gets a free soft soap documentary, while Ed gets a Paxman grilling for 90 minutes.

Lucy Powell deserves all of the plaudits she is getting for this campaign...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Smarmeron said:

@compouter2

I only come on here for the entertainment. Oh, and the fact I am going to appoint at least one Labour PPC to each PB Hodge, so on election night they can all feel like they have played a tiny part in helping Ed become PM.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PeterMannionMP: What was I was saying about BBC 'empty chair' threats and Charter Renewal? #tvdebates See @janemerrick23 @Independent http://t.co/I1Ctll6SAd

So as it stands, Cameron gets a free soft soap documentary, while Ed gets a Paxman grilling for 90 minutes.

LOL

• Options
    And the answer to the question was:-
    Dave said that he was keen on the idea of the debates as they were good for democracy, but the reason why we aren't having them this time is because of the confusion that the broadcasters caused.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    SeanT said:

Add two to the Tories, and take two from Labour, do the same for the minor parties, and right now I reckon this will be roughly the result.

CON: 36
    Lab: 31
    LD: 10
    UKIP: 13

Remarkably, Baxtering this sees Cameron just 6 short of an OVERALL majority.

Factor in Scotland, and a Tory majority might be VALUE? (albeit still unlikely)

I'm on Tory minority at 9/2, think majority is a stretch but it's not impossible that UKIP Nick a few Labour seats up North, that is if the Tories finally cotton and vote tactically. That may get Cameron to a majority but as you say unlikely.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Smarmeron said:

@glw
    Now at this point I will have to hurry you, or throw it open to your fellow participants.

There is a televised debate on offer.

7 leaders, before then end of the month. Take it or leave it.

Ed is fretting because he can't get a private one on one, something no PM has ever agreed to. He'll be chasing Cameron through the kitchens at this rate like Brown after Obama.

• Options
    SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Totally wrong (and I rarely say that to you!)

Swingback is real, it happens, Rod Crosby is right. Right now people *feel* they are doing OK, the country isn't quite as fecked as it was, help we could be Greece, hold on to nurse, Jesus do we really want Little Ed Miliband as bacon-sandwich-eating PM, etc. Factor in the probable Labour annihilation in Scotland and it is now perfectly feasible to see Cameron easily getting most seats, and maybe even winning a slender majority.

See my prior post: a tiny shift of a couple of points (likely in Cameron's favour, as we near deciding time) and he has a hefty plurality and almost a majority.

Also see Miliband's desperate desire for debates. He knows he needs them. Because he is beginning to look like a loser.
    I hope I am wrong and that you are right. The weird thing, as I have been pointing out for a while now, is that most of the Labour party seems to think I am.

Even when Cameron makes a mistake like these debates you can count on Ed doing something even more stupid. His party must be so regretting not replacing him when there was time.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Is this is what is known as spinning a chicken?
  • Options
    Class dismissed, go frott yourselves cross eyed with twatter..., or what ever takes your fancy
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Not since before the last GE, has a tory majority at this one looked so much of a possible outcome.

God bless ed.

And the leftie dweebariat continue to warble to one another about debates.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

He'll be chasing Cameron through the kitchens at this rate like Brown after Obama.

Ed will pass legislation making it illegal for foreign leaders not to stop in the kitchen when he's chasing them
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@compouter2

I only come on here for the entertainment. Oh, and the fact I am going to appoint at least one Labour PPC to each PB Hodge, so on election night they can all feel like they have played a tiny part in helping Ed become PM.

Smarmeron said:

@compouter2

Don't worry,the entertainment is just beginning if Ed becomes PM ;-)

I'm looking forward to it ;-)

• Options
    @Ishmael_X
    Oh there are several other things we will warble about, and the best bit is, the blue team are too blinded to see them coming down the road.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@compouter2

Smarmeron said:

@compouter2

Don't worry,the entertainment is just beginning if Ed becomes PM ;-)

I'm looking forward to it ;-)

That makes two of us. What's the betting on your man Sawford? Who is your prefered second Labour PPC (not everyone will have they benefit of a choice I will add)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Smarmeron

'Dave said that he was keen on the idea of the debates as they were good for democracy'

And Ed would do OK provided he didn't soil himself.
  • Options
    @Sean_Kemp: 2016 and we reach the crucial vote in Parliament on a Tory amendment to the Debate Bill demanding a rerun of Rumpole of the Bailey.
  • Options
    @john_zims
    He might well do, but Cameron won't, because he already has, and will be hiding with "nursey" while the big boys carry on
    But don't worry. the little lamb will have his very own private party with his little toy and puppet friends.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I freely admit I don't know what's going on. But I have the suspicion that's it's a noise-over-substance feeding frenzy. But they also observe 'who only stand and wait'.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    So under Ed's law, if a Party leader decides they don't want to do a TV debate, will said Party leader be put in prison for this "crime"? Really?
  • Options
    Some more ideas for Ed to fill in his blank sheet of paper...such as

In Florida, it is illegal to pass wind in a public place after 6pm on Thursdays

In Canada, by law, one out of every five songs on the radio must be sung by a Canadian

Running out of petrol is illegal on Germany's autobahn, and so is walking along it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2856346/It-illegal-not-smile-Milan-no-donkeys-sleep-bath-Oklahoma-strangest-laws-word.html
  • Options

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

Only one consolation on insane idea by Mili E to make TV debates law. Too many sensible, grown-up Labour people won't let him post-election

• Options
    All this debate stuff means the morning thread won't be about AV.

*Sigh*
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255
    How long before Ed calls for a judge led inquiry into leaders not attending debates.
  • Options
    @GIN1138
    It would be highly unlikely, but non attendance at any future debate would be guided by the principles of the act, so the broadcasters would not have to make it up as they go along.
  • Options
    Seriously disappointing that Afghanistan batted first. Does nothing for my bet on McCullum being top run scorer. Was hoping for another 100 in the pot tonight.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

So under Ed's law, if a Party leader decides they don't want to do a TV debate, will said Party leader be put in prison for this "crime"? Really?

Surely an incumbent government that doesn't want debates would be free to repeal or amend* the act. So even if Ed made it the law, a future government can change it. So he can only bind his own hands. I'm not sure Ed's thought this through (which is a common theme with Ed's "big ideas").

* Opposition leader must appear stark naked.
  • Options
    Smarmeron posted - It would be highly unlikely.

How do you know that ?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    SeanT said:

Add two to the Tories, and take two from Labour, do the same for the minor parties, and right now I reckon this will be roughly the result.

There are still voters out there in large numbers who don't know what they want at the general election.

There are huge numbers who know what they DON'T want. And that is Ed Miliband as Prime Minister.

I think Rod Crosby is entirely right to focus on the qualities of the leaders as the primer for how people will vote. I reckon there are going to be very large movements at the end of the election campaign, as people finally hold their nose and vote Tory. No great enthusiasm in their vote, but the idea of Ed Miliband in Downing Street scares the bejeezus out of the voters I have been talking to today.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

All this debate stuff means the morning thread won't be about AV.

*Sigh*

I don't think there is an AV thread! I think your just one big tease! :blush:

• Options
    woody662 said:

How long before Ed calls for a judge led inquiry into leaders not attending debates.

He is a bit busy not calling for one in relation to the industrial scale hacking by the Mirror.
  • Options
    @glw
    Theoretically the government could order you to wear a dunces cap and stop acting like an idiot, but it will probably not even make it to the first stage.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,817
    Jeremy Hunt accused of covering up critical NHS report
    Health secretary has withheld damning management study by former M&S boss Stuart Rose for political reasons, claims Tory MP Sarah Wollaston
  • Options

On one level Miliband is a joke. On another he is terrifying.

Anything he doesn't like will get a law passed against it? Where will it end?

Make a sarcastic reference to the Labour party on a blog - go to jail.

Suggest that the great leader may be wrong - life sentence.

Complain that you pay too much tax - fine of half remaining salary.

That he is even thinking like he does, and that there is even a remote possibility that he might become PM, is very very worrying.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    "Go back to your constituencies, and prepare for not-quite-governing"
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    SeanT said:

I actually agree with Ed's Debate Law. The Debates should be obligatory and compulsory, they are good for our sadly dying democracy.

However by saying it now he looks flailing, and a bit needy, which is not a great look for any politician.

And what would the penalty be for not debating?
  • Options
    UKELECTIONS2015: Opinium Approval rating - own Party

Cameron +85%
    Farage +79%
    Clegg +47%
    Miliband +34%

http://t.co/zK3Ac4UiNw
  • Options
    Sarah Wollaston, a former GP who took over the chairmanship of the committee last year, said it was not reasonable or right that a report by former Marks & Spencer boss and Tory peer Stuart Rose, which was commissioned by Hunt a year ago and completed in December, was being kept from the Public
    Senior government officials have made it known that Rose’s report is strongly critical of management systems in the NHS – findings that are potentially damaging for the Tories before an election in which the NHS is centre stage.

There are also suggestions that the report implies that the government’s own NHS reforms, steered through by Hunt’s predecessor Andrew Lansley, may have made matters worse.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

That he is even thinking like he does, and that there is even a remote possibility that he might become PM, is very very worrying.

I don't think he's that different to Brown and we survived...

Though at least Brown had quite a few sane people around... Ed may have nationalists and Greens egging him on.

OK, I'm scared! :worried:

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2015
    SeanT said:

I actually agree with Ed's Debate Law. The Debates should be obligatory and compulsory, they are good for our sadly dying democracy.

However by saying it now he looks flailing, and a bit needy, which is not a great look for any politician.

Agreed. I like the idea itself more than I like him saying it. In addition to the point you make, it's also a bit indicative of just how little Ed has to say on the real issues that, 8 weeks out of the election, he's spending all his "airtime" so to speak on the debates.
  • Options
    The Sunday Times

ED MILIBAND is at “war” with the Unite union, Labour’s biggest donor, over whether the woman at the heart of the Falkirk vote-rigging row should be given the chance to become an MP.

Senior Labour insiders fear that the showdown over Karie Murphy, a close friend of union leader Len McCluskey, could cost the party a £1.5m donation they are expecting to help bankroll the election campaign, a source revealed.

Unite wants Murphy on the shortlist of potential Labour candidates for Halifax, where the sitting MP, Linda Riordan, is standing down. Miliband is determined to stop that happening but panicking aides are split because some fear that the party could miss out on funding, according to the senior Labour source.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article1528438.ece
  • Options

Jeremy Hunt accused of covering up critical NHS report
    Health secretary has withheld damning management study by former M&S boss Stuart Rose for political reasons, claims Tory MP Sarah Wollaston

Claims Tory MP Sarah Wollaston....didn't she used to be a GP. Interesting.
  • Options
    Stephen Bush @stephenkb
    ·
    I resent Ed's debates laws for many reasons: the fact I'm going to have to write it up when I get home the No.1. But also it's stupid.

• Options
    @Tykejohnno
    It would be highly unlikely because we live in a parliamentary democracy, and such a bill would not garner the support of the house.
    I know this is complicated stuff for you, but you will hopefully learn. ( but not highly likely I am afraid)
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

The Sunday Times

ED MILIBAND is at “war” with the Unite union, Labour’s biggest donor, over whether the woman at the heart of the Falkirk vote-rigging row should be given the chance to become an MP.

Senior Labour insiders fear that the showdown over Karie Murphy, a close friend of union leader Len McCluskey, could cost the party a £1.5m donation they are expecting to help bankroll the election campaign, a source revealed.

Unite wants Murphy on the shortlist of potential Labour candidates for Halifax, where the sitting MP, Linda Riordan, is standing down. Miliband is determined to stop that happening but panicking aides are split because some fear that the party could miss out on funding, according to the senior Labour source.

I thought they'd manage to calm things before the election.

They will probably still pay up...
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all and now we know Thursday's YouGov was the outlier it looked. No doubt TNS and Survation will skew the numbers with large Labour leads when they eventually come out.

Just been attending A Big Dinner event run jointly by my rotary club Tain and District jointly with our neighbouring one East Sutherland for the 500 miles charity. Delighted that we raised over £700 for such an excellent cause.
  • Options

This is what Whitehall will look like with Ed in charge,

http://jamsidedown.com/files/2012/12/pile-of-books-3.jpg
  • Options
    woody662woody662 Posts: 255

SeanT said:

There are still voters out there in large numbers who don't know what they want at the general election.

There are huge numbers who know what they DON'T want. And that is Ed Miliband as Prime Minister.

I think Rod Crosby is entirely right to focus on the qualities of the leaders as the primer for how people will vote. I reckon there are going to be very large movements at the end of the election campaign, as people finally hold their nose and vote Tory. No great enthusiasm in their vote, but the idea of Ed Miliband in Downing Street scares the bejeezus out of the voters I have been talking to today.
    Canvassing anecdotes but I had 3 households who were initally hostile and close to shutting the door but when I did manage to engage them in conversation, they may not be keen on the Conservatives, Cameron, direction ect but when you get onto Miliband, it's 'that man cannot be allowed to become Prime Minister'. Polls would not pick that upp but I would be surrised if they do not end up holding their nose to keep him out.

For a bit of balance, a lifetime Labour voter thought Miliband was great. He may have been taking the piss though.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Scott_P

Even his own party thinks Ed is crap.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

The Sunday Times

They always stump up in the end, you only have to look at the recent donations.
  • Options
    LOL Lansley

Independent report found Lansley overhaul left structures so “complex, confusing and bureaucratic” that the organisation of the service “is not fit for purpose”.

It also said the changes wasted the time of NHS bosses, who were “distracted as they were required to re-arrange the deckchairs rather than navigate safely past the iceberg” of growing demand at a time of acute financial pressure.

It also said the reforms led to a loss of talented senior NHS leaders by creating an array of new organisations, each responsible for areas such as hospitals or public health, meaning that no one was in overall charge and that there was a leadership vacuum.

Never have predicted that!!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:

Cameron +85%
    Farage +79%
    Clegg +47%
    Miliband +34%

Labour voters have something right.

And those are the Labour voters who have stayed with the party. The position is actually much worse - because of those who have left Labour because of Ed.
  • Options
    Andy Burnham retweeted
    Dr David Wrigley ‏@DavidGWrigley 6m6 minutes ago
    So @sarahwollaston says @Jeremy_Hunt is covering up report that exposes truth about Tory disastrous Health Act
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Cameron +85%
    Farage +79%
    Clegg +47%
    Miliband +34%

Clegg at least has the excuse that he has been in government and taken a lot of flak. Has any other party ever been so close to winning with such a dire leader as Miliband?
This discussion has been closed.