Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB’s LAB insider, Henry G Manson, gives his assessment of

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited March 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB’s LAB insider, Henry G Manson, gives his assessment of Cameron’s approach to the debates saga

David Cameron is a good media performer and remains his party’s biggest asset. There has been a lot of focus on the suggestion that despite this it’d be better for his party if he avoids the televised debates because of the platform it will give Ed Miliband. I know the theory, but this does not stack up for me and seem that convincing. What else could Conservative strategists be worried about?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    First?
  • Options
    Is that a ladder in your tights or is it a stairway to heaven?
  • Options
    FIRST I WAS FIRST I HAVE NEVER BEEN FIRST BEFORE
  • Options
    What was the subject of the thread btw?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Henry agrees with Dave on the debates.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Ah. Right. K.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

TOPPING said:

OK so on topic there is a disconnect between no one caring (ie it's not reflected in VI) about the debates vs it being the one thing(s) that a very large number of people (>Strictly Final, IIRC) sit down to watch.

You do need to find them therefore I think it is genuine interest.

My $0.02 is that Dave should debate anywhere with anyone on anything as he can be quite good at it. Very good at it, in fact.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Topping, congrats :p
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2015
    Well, all governments have holes in their records, but this one has fewer than any in the last 50 years with the exception of the Thatcher governments. But, yes, Henry is right that the debate format is intrinsically one which favours those who can safely carp from the sidelines.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Yay, a non-dim leftie contributes to the debate.

And the corollary of his headline: It’ll be tricky for Ed coming under scrutiny from 5 different sides.

Again, Dave gives us a masterclass in political skill, courage and integrity.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    And thus ends the PPB on behalf of the Labour Party. Next.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Deary me - checking back through his work... that is some tripe, is Steve Bell the Dan Hodges of the political cartoonist world ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131

Well, all governments have holes in their records, but this one has fewer than any in the last 50 years with the exception of the Thatcher governments. But, yes, Henry is right that the debate format is intrinsically one which favours those who can safely carp from the sidelines.

Which is why only a PM as desperate as Brown would ever agree to them.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Deary me - checking back through his work... that is some tripe, is Steve Bell the Dan Hodges of the political cartoonist world ?

No, Dan Hodges is amusing.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    This can be modelled with game theory mathematically (and no doubt has).

I expect that the Conservatives' concern in a multi-sided debate is that David Cameron has to spend all his time attacking Ed Miliband, but will be attacked by others who he won't have the time to respond to - in particular, he will be attacked on immigration by Nigel Farage. But he'd be fine in a seven-sided debate because the attacks on him would be cumulatively too incoherent and the attack he fears most would be greatly diluted in impact - which is why the Conservatives wanted more participants.

I'm sure that the Conservatives' main calculation, like Phileas T Barnum, is never give a sucker (Ed Miliband) an even break. Which is why they want to avoid a head to head, which is the ultimate in even breaks.
  • Options
    The biggest problem with the debates from Cameron's point of view is not that the great British public is upset (they are not) or that it might change their vote (it won't) but that he has denied those self important ***** that run our news Channels their opportunity to waddle centre stage and sound important.

They will be very reluctant to forgive him for that and it will adversely affect the coverage/spin that they provide. Probably still worth it though.
  • Options
    Green leader Natalie Bennett faced new pressure to stand aside from live TV debates today after a poll found Caroline Lucas is seen as better able to put over their policies.

A YouGov survey found more Londoners think Ms Lucas, the MP for Brighton Pavilion, is “best suited to represent the Greens” in the live television event.

However, a majority of Londoners who expressed an opinion say Ms Bennett should go ahead, despite being less skilled.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/poll-caroline-lucas-better-at-explaining-green-party-policies-than-leader-natalie-bennett-10095036.html
  • Options

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    Fair point, losers all. Cameron's big mistake was agreeing to them in 2010. He would probably have had a majority if he had not.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    DavidL said:

The biggest problem with the debates from Cameron's point of view is not that the great British public is upset (they are not) or that it might change their vote (it won't) but that he has denied those self important ***** that run our news Channels their opportunity to waddle centre stage and sound important.

They will be very reluctant to forgive him for that and it will adversely affect the coverage/spin that they provide. Probably still worth it though.

Whatever the perception or reality of the news channels' bias, it is not a good look for a politician, especially the PM, to make them any kind of target.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2986066/Lebanese-TV-host-Rima-Karaki-stands-sexist-Islamist-scholar.html

London-based.

I, for one, am sick of this country being used as a base by these people.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    Fair point, losers all. Cameron's big mistake was agreeing to them in 2010. He would probably have had a majority if he had not.
    For 'agreeing to' read 'demanding'
  • Options
    Hengists_GiftHengists_Gift Posts: 628
    edited March 2015
    David Cameron is a good media performer and remains his party’s biggest asset. There has been a lot of focus on the suggestion that despite this it’d be better for his party if he avoids the televised debates because of the platform it will give Ed Miliband. I know the theory, but this does not stack up for me and seem that convincing. What else could Conservative strategists be worried about?

Its not just about Cameron avoiding defending his own record to me but also about turning the tables on Miliband. Henry rightly points out if Cameron appears he will be the one defending his record. If he doesn't turn up that mantle falls to Miliband who instead of being primarily on the front foot against Cameron would find himself far more on the backfoot against 5 parties who all want to relieve him of voters. He would become primary focus of the debates.

In 2010 in all areas aside from the South outside London, Northern Ireland and the Midlands, the dominant party was Labour and as a result there is plenty to gain for one or more of the other parties if they best Miliband and not only would he have to defend his manifesto and his record in opposition but its likely he would still have to defend his party's failure with all that that entails 5 years before. Now it may be he comes through it OK but it will not be the positive that besting Cameron would provide. I suspect rather than providing impetus to his campaign at best it would keep it on an even keel and at worst punch a decent size hole in it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Most likely the first debate will be such a circus that everyone will be glad to see the back of them!

And has Dave ever claimed that he was more honest than other politicians? As I recall it was Tony Blair who claimed to be a "pretty straight kinda guy"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Whatever the perception or reality of the news channels' bias, it is not a good look for a politician, especially the PM, to make them any kind of target.
    Isn't that what Labour's entire strategy about the press is? To make them a target? And to claim that this shows Milliband standing up for the little guy?

("Little guy" in this context means the Hugh Grants of this world.)

• Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Depends on the strength of the politician. Look how they hated Thatcher. Dave is no Thatcher but he's no ed, either. The press could destroy ed in a week with a selection of bacon sandwich shots, which they probably already have ready and waiting in their archives.

I wish Salmond would challenge ed to a one to one debate in Scotland btw. I wonder what brave ed would say to that?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    I don't get the argument that the debates lost the Tories the election. Yes Nick Clegg did well in that forum, but when it came to election night he lost 5 seats, so it's not like a good performance in a debate translated into more seats at the general election.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2986066/Lebanese-TV-host-Rima-Karaki-stands-sexist-Islamist-scholar.html

London-based.

Ok, it is the DM so one has to be cautious but their summary:

"London-based Sheik Hani Al-Siba'i is Director of London's Al-Maqreze Centre for Historical Studies Hani Sibai.

He has previously claimed that ‘anyone who is not a Muslim is a criminal’ and is seen as a controversial figure who has often made offensive comments in interviews.

Speaking to Al-Jazeera TV on July 8, 2005, the Sheik caused great outrage by saying that the London bombings were a victory: ‘If Al-Qaeda indeed carried out this act [of the bombings], it is a great victory for it. It rubbed the noses of the world's eight most powerful countries in the mud.’

Why is he in this country?

Really interesting response to the female journalist by the way. Is it too much to hope that change is possible?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    In a 90 minutes debate how long would each speaker have? Genuine question. After allowing the intro and any summing up. And does a national party leader have the same time as Leanne Wood, for Plaid Cymru, whose maximum seat possibility is 30 something.
  • Options

In a 90 minutes debate how long would each speaker have? Genuine question. After allowing the intro and any summing up. And does a national party leader have the same time as Leanne Wood, for Plaid Cymru, whose maximum seat possibility is 30 something.

Plaid Cymru shouldn't be there tbh.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

London-based.

"London-based Sheik Hani Al-Siba'i is Director of London's Al-Maqreze Centre for Historical Studies Hani Sibai.

He has previously claimed that ‘anyone who is not a Muslim is a criminal’ and is seen as a controversial figure who has often made offensive comments in interviews.

Speaking to Al-Jazeera TV on July 8, 2005, the Sheik caused great outrage by saying that the London bombings were a victory: ‘If Al-Qaeda indeed carried out this act [of the bombings], it is a great victory for it. It rubbed the noses of the world's eight most powerful countries in the mud.’

Really interesting response to the female journalist by the way. Is it too much to hope that change is possible?
    Last week "The Muslim Manifesto" was launched in Parliament by a supporter of extremism backed by Baroness Warsi.

Its happening and we are watching
  • Options

As I recall it was Tony Blair who claimed to be a "pretty straight kinda guy"

It was at that point that everyone should have realised what an untrustworthy person Blair was and would turn out to be.

Anyone who has to talk about their honesty rather than simply demonstrate it by their actions is not to be trusted, in my experience.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Depends on the strength of the politician. Look how they hated Thatcher. Dave is no Thatcher but he's no ed, either. The press could destroy ed in a week with a selection of bacon sandwich shots, which they probably already have ready and waiting in their archives.

I wish Salmond would challenge ed to a one to one debate in Scotland btw. I wonder what brave ed would say to that?
    Did the press round on Fatcha in earnest during or after her tenure? I can't actually remember.

(The Graun is of course still blaming her for Britain's decline, etc)
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    I don't get the argument that the debates lost the Tories the election. Yes Nick Clegg did well in that forum, but when it came to election night he lost 5 seats, so it's not like a good performance in a debate translated into more seats at the general election.
    Yes but he polled around 850,000 additional votes. I suspect if they had largely gone over to the Tories then a majority would have been achievable
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Ishmael_X said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Did the press round on Fatcha in earnest during or after her tenure? I can't actually remember.

(The Graun is of course still blaming her for Britain's decline, etc)
    Constant hostility from day 1, is my (highly unreliable) recollection.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Cyclefree

A great interview!

I'm a big fan of Lebanese women and this one is typical. So fresh so funny and they say what they think. Their only downside is too much plastic surgery and tatooed lip liner which is silly

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Cyclefree said:

As I recall it was Tony Blair who claimed to be a "pretty straight kinda guy"

It was at that point that everyone should have realised what an untrustworthy person Blair was and would turn out to be.

Anyone who has to talk about their honesty rather than simply demonstrate it by their actions is not to be trusted, in my experience.

Could be worse, could have signed a pledge.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour's big economic fightback. Going well...

@TelePolitics: Ed Balls says the Tories want to axe the Foreign Office - and then says they don't http://t.co/i5DdoRC1bI
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    Yes but he polled around 850,000 additional votes. I suspect if they had largely gone over to the Tories then a majority would have been achievable
    Well turnout was up from 2005, so there were extra votes in play anyway. The Lib Dems share of the vote went up 1% I believe, and a lot of those voters would've been former Labour voters too.

Still don't see the link if I'm honest.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Although of Welsh descent and in sympathy with the Party's premise, as someone resident in England, I agree. Nor should Nicola Sturgeon, and indeed nor would she unless it was pretty likely her lot were going to gives Ed's a kicking.

Incidentally, pub conversation last night, in Essex, was universally (4-5 people) hostile to her; more so that Ed.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited March 2015
    Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Isn't that what Labour's entire strategy about the press is? To make them a target? And to claim that this shows Milliband standing up for the little guy?

Which is why I don't quite buy the argument Dave will suffer by declining debates on the Media's terms.

By now we were supposed to be bombarded by a post Leveson vengeful Murdoch with evil Ed stories as we run up to the election. Tumbleweed.

I suspect stories of a vengeful media will turn out to be just as hollow for Cameron. The story is the story and not much else.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Jonathan

"Could be worse, could have signed a pledge."

On the nail!!
  • Options
    edited March 2015

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    If you browse the threads in March 2010 in the sidebar from before the April 15th first debate you soon come to the conclusion:

1) the final result matched the pre debate polling, so the debates made little real impact.

2) Not much in the campaign had much impact either!

3) the polls now are probably about right and the betting too optomistic for the blues once more.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited March 2015
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31790067

Don't mention that the Tories plans are basically to shrink the state to the size it was in 2002....Everybody all together now CUTTTSSSS TAKING US BACK TO WIGAN PIER DAYS...insert photo of poverty from 1930's.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Which is why I don't quite buy the argument Dave will suffer by declining debates on the Media's terms.

By now we were supposed to be bombarded by a post Leveson vengeful Murdoch with evil Ed stories as we run up to the election. Tumbleweed.

I suspect stories of a vengeful media will turn out to be just as hollow for Cameron. The story is the story and not much else.
    VERY sympathetic and long interview with Ed on Saturday.

Of course it was in the Grauniad.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Pulpstar said:

Although of Welsh descent and in sympathy with the Party's premise, as someone resident in England, I agree. Nor should Nicola Sturgeon, and indeed nor would she unless it was pretty likely her lot were going to gives Ed's a kicking.

Incidentally, pub conversation last night, in Essex, was universally (4-5 people) hostile to her; more so that Ed.
    In reality the Greens should not be there either. Apart for a couple months polls (not least generated by David Cameron's gambit proposing them for the debates) they have done nothing to demonstrate they deserve inclusion.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    It's difficult to prove a negative.

The argument was that Clegg was able to present himself as moderate / the "new new" face of change thereby sucking away votes that Cameron might otherwise have won. Secondly, each of the debates absorbed a week of media time (3 days run up, 3 days post date wrap up) and therefore made it much harder for the Tories to get out their message of change.

Of course, it didn't help that Cameron underperformed in the first one.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Are we still on about the debates? As opposed to 500 more 'free' schools.
    After demanding debates last time the media then did nothing but belittle them - always looking for the silly picture or grasping onto the odd comment. The whole point of the debates is for the media to pick holes in the performances . And that word, 'performances', tells us what the debates are all about and what the media want out of them. The only meaningful thing to come out of them last time, 'Cleggasm' turned out to be bogus.
    Our politicians do not spring preformed onto the national stage like say in the USA, but are already well known and have been 'performing' in Parliament for many years. The debates simply cloud issues and the 4-way debate originally put forward was certainly biased.
    I hope Cameron can keep turning down the debates - the 7 a side early debate he has offered is the minimum we could expect to show willing - because they are bad for politics and if he gets a bad press it will just show he actually believes in doing the right thing irrespective.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    If you browse the threads in March 2010 in the sidebar from before the April 15th first debate you soon come to the conclusion:

1) the final result matched the pre debate polling, so the debates made little real impact.

2) Not much in the campaign had much impact either!

3) the polls now are probably about right and the betting too optomistic for the blues once more.
    So how the hell has Cameron and his team got so worked up about the debates in the absence of any evidence that they were a 'game change' moment?

Kind of reminds me of the first presidential moment in 2012. Romney and his supporters were so convinced that his performance had put everything back in play, but when it came down to voting, the polls and forecasts were pretty much bang on. It was the fundamentals that decided the race, not one 90 minute debate.
  • Options
    Flockers_pbFlockers_pb Posts: 204
    I can see the narrow political calculation and cunning in the Tories' apparent evasion (or perhaps I'd better say avoidance) of the debates, but I think they are wrong, both as a matter of principle and in their political calculation, to do so.

The matter of principle can be swiftly dealt with; Cameron once thought the debates a necessity. As a matter of honour he should stand by that position.

The political calculation point is more difficult and I accept everyone can make their own judgement and mine is in the minority. But I don't think either the 7-handed format or the one-on-one poses a significant risk to Cameron (with one slight caveat in the latter case), and I think the Tories are underestimating the negative effect not participating in the debates will have on their relationship with, and portrayal by, the media, that could be toxic for their campaign. Bluntly being seen to be intimidated by Ed Miliband does not look good.

I doubt the 7-hander will go the way Henry describes. There may be a certain amount of government bashing, but in the main the parties will be seeking to differentiate themselves from the others. For some, like the Greens, Plaid and the SNP, the best way to maintain or grow their support is to create a positive pitch which appeals to the left; almost any time spent criticising Government, except as a counterpoint for their own policies, is time wasted. The Lib Dems will be constrained in terms of what they can say, and in any event are in no position to influence the outcome. Ukip will be Cameron's biggest fear, but seem to be weakening as a force in this election. He has his defence lines against Labour attacks well worked out.

Similarly a one-to-one against Miliband should not worry Cameron. The leader ratings don't lie - he is a more credible leader. Yes, the low expectations of Miliband may mean that avoiding complete destruction will be perceived as a victory; but Cameron should be confident of his ability to outbox Miliband and should have the ammunition to do so comfortably. The one caveat is I suspect Cameron would prefer not to give Miliband any platform that does not have Clegg on it; Cameron needs the Lib Dems to recover some more and peel back some of those soft reds. Clegg being prematurely demoted from the premier league makes that less likely.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

or Major, or Callaghan
    There's no question that's what Cameron believes too, but it's a myth.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    @isam:

I don't know what our LD GE bet is :-)

Let me search gmail
  • Options
    @isam:

I don't have an email about the bet. It must be somewhere on the site...
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    edited March 2015
    Excessive criticism
  • Options

The govt has fewer holes in its record than the opposition. Mr Manso views it all from his own perspective.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rcs1000 said:

@isam:

Let me search gmail

There wasn't an email, we made it on here...

It would be around May last year. You were in to me for £20 after the Wythenshaw by election (UKIP £20@11/2).. you said you or your Dad would cough up at Dirty Dicks, but you couldn't make it and I didn't ask him for it.

Shortly afterwards I said stick it on the LDs to get under 10%.. there were two bets, one of £15 and one of a fiver I think, and the bets were something like under 10% and under 8%

So shortly after the Dirty Dicks bash of May last year if that helps
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31790067

Don't mention that the Tories plans are basically to shrink the state to the size it was in 2002....Everybody all together now CUTTTSSSS TAKING US BACK TO WIGAN PIER DAYS...insert photo of poverty from 1930's.

Shrinking the state. Yay. What's the bad news?
  • Options
    An another one bites the dust...

@TelePolitics: Ed Balls: Labour would not guarantee defence spending at 2pc of GDP http://t.co/nPoOj4Km6x
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam:

Let me search gmail

It would be around May last year. You were in to me for £20 after the Wythenshaw by election (UKIP £20@11/2).. you said your your Dad would cough up at Dirty Dicks, but you couldn't make it and I didn't ask him for it.

Shortly afterwards I said stick it on the LDs to get under 10%.. there were two bets, one of £15 and one of a fiver I think, and the bets were something like under 10% and under 8%

Ahhh... my memory is returning.

I think, and I could be wrong, that it was evens at under 10%, and 4-1 for under 8% (or something like that). And I'd guess it was £15 on the under 10%, and £5 on the under 8%.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

@isam:

Let me search gmail

It would be around May last year. You were in to me for £20 after the Wythenshaw by election (UKIP £20@11/2).. you said your your Dad would cough up at Dirty Dicks, but you couldn't make it and I didn't ask him for it.

Ahhh... my memory is returning.

I think, and I could be wrong, that it was evens at under 10%, and 4-1 for under 8% (or something like that). And I'd guess it was £15 on the under 10%, and £5 on the under 8%.

Something like that yeah, its on here somewhere

• Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

I can see the narrow political calculation and cunning in the Tories' apparent evasion (or perhaps I'd better say avoidance)

LOL

snip...
    I doubt the 7-hander will go the way Henry describes. There may be a certain amount of government bashing, but in the main the parties will be seeking to differentiate themselves from the others. For some, like the Greens, Plaid and the SNP, the best way to maintain or grow their support is to create a positive pitch which appeals to the left; almost any time spent criticising Government, except as a counterpoint for their own policies, is time wasted.

Tell that to the SNP please... every point comes back to the "Feckin' Tory Governments Wot We Don't Vote For" (tm)

Similarly a one-to-one against Miliband should not worry Cameron. The leader ratings don't lie - he is a more credible leader. Yes, the low expectations of Miliband may mean that avoiding complete destruction will be perceived as a victory; but Cameron should be confident of his ability to outbox Miliband and should have the ammunition to do so comfortably. The one caveat is I suspect Cameron would prefer not to give Miliband any platform that does not have Clegg on it; Cameron needs the Lib Dems to recover some more and peel back some of those soft reds. Clegg being prematurely demoted from the premier league makes that less likely.

As is seen at PMQs often enough, Ed can get under Dave's skin and get a reaction out of him.
  • Options
    @falklands_utd: We're all for associating ourselves with the UK but in this instance, we'd like to distance ourselves from the cricket team. #woeful
  • Options
    Betfair's share price has almost doubled over the past four months from 1100p to 2160p, valuing the world's leading betting exchange at almost £2 billion, compared with Ladbrokes' market cap of £1.06 billion.

Beats betting for a living!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Betfair's share price has almost doubled over the past four months from 1100p to 2160p, valuing the world's leading betting exchange at almost £2 billion, compared with Ladbrokes' market cap of £1.06 billion.

Beats betting for a living!

William Hill's market cap is £3.3bn. It's been a woeful decade for Ladbrokes.
  • Options
    Ed Balls trying to up the UKIP vote today on the radio.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Pulpstar said:

I hear he won't commit to the 2% of GDP NATO defence commitment.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Jackie "vote Labour" Bird just announced on Reporting Scotland lunchtime that the new BBC tactic for beating the SNP is to spend the whole week talking about Immigration.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    UKIP GE leaflet arrives through my door!!

"Who Really Runs This country? - 75% of laws made in Brussels"... the burning Union Jack photo.. bit last year

BIG on immigration one side with pics of anti EU & immigration headlines from the Mail and Express

"Only a vote for UKIP is a vote to end mass uncontrolled immigration"!

Graph showing the Havering Euro results

UKIP 43% Con 25% Lab 15%

"UKIP can win in Hornchurch & Upminster"

I would have preferred

(a) to be the candidate!
    (b) to see more about the closing of local hospitals to make way for housing
    (c) A photo of Farage would have helped I think... he seems popular

It seems a bit serious would be my criticism, but naturally agree with the points made

Only UKIP and Cons have leafleted and there will be weekly UKIP street canvassing from now on.. I know a lot of people who are going to vote UKIP so 8/1?? Maybe
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I hear he won't commit to the 2% of GDP NATO defence commitment.
    It was more the line that the Conservatives would take the army back to Cromwell or some such. No votes there for Labour, but perhaps some for UKIP.

Conservatives do the same thing with the Greens/Labour (See debate tactics part 1)
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Are we still on about the debates? As opposed to 500 more 'free' schools.
    After demanding debates last time the media then did nothing but belittle them - always looking for the silly picture or grasping onto the odd comment. The whole point of the debates is for the media to pick holes in the performances . And that word, 'performances', tells us what the debates are all about and what the media want out of them. The only meaningful thing to come out of them last time, 'Cleggasm' turned out to be bogus.
    Our politicians do not spring preformed onto the national stage like say in the USA, but are already well known and have been 'performing' in Parliament for many years. The debates simply cloud issues and the 4-way debate originally put forward was certainly biased.
    I hope Cameron can keep turning down the debates - the 7 a side early debate he has offered is the minimum we could expect to show willing - because they are bad for politics and if he gets a bad press it will just show he actually believes in doing the right thing irrespective.
    There is always the possibility of some game changing own goal gaffe, but generally debates seem to have little impact.

Mostly the leaders are just rehearsed to avoid gaffes or hostages to fortune. Indeed was this not the case with "tens of thousands" as an immigration target?
  • Options
    Dair said:

Jackie "vote Labour" Bird just announced on Reporting Scotland lunchtime that the new BBC tactic for beating the SNP is to spend the whole week talking about Immigration.

Immigration and defence - Labour providing a masterclass today.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It was more the line that the Conservatives would take the army back to Cromwell or some such.

Cromwell's army was very effective.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It was more the line that the Conservatives would take the army back to Cromwell or some such.

Odd line for Labour to go on though.
  • Options
    @JGForsyth: The Spectator’s @alexmassie on why data isn’t the answer to the England cricket team’s problems but the cause of them http://t.co/ugrjx6ejcR
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, very odd. Even odder was the stuff about the Foreign Office.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

London-based.

isam said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

London-based.

Last week "The Muslim Manifesto" was launched in Parliament by a supporter of extremism backed by Baroness Warsi.

Its happening and we are watching
    Warsi is a busted flush.

More worryingly the same meeting was attended by Andy Slaughter MP and Shadow Justice Minister.

A Shadow Justice Minister who thinks it appropriate to attend a meeting organised by a supporter of Al Qaeda. Well, well.

So how am I - a working woman, my daughter, my son - who is gay - supposed to feel about having as our Justice Minister in a few weeks a man so singularly lacking in judgment that he thinks it right to attend such a meeting hosted by such a person. How are Jews supposed to feel? How is anyone who does not want our civilization, our country, our lives to be ruined by such barbarians supposed to feel?

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    isam said:

"Who Really Runs This country? - 75% of laws made in Brussels"... the burning Union Jack photo.. bit last year

BIG on immigration one side with pics of anti EU & immigration headlines from the Mail and Express

UKIP 43% Con 25% Lab 15%

I would have preferred

(a) to be the candidate!

It seems a bit serious would be my criticism, but naturally agree with the points made

Only UKIP and Cons have leafleted and there will be weekly UKIP street canvassing from now on.. I know a lot of people who are going to vote UKIP so 8/1?? Maybe

How will a vote for ukip end uncontrolled immigration? Answers please.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Based on today's efforts, Labour's entire campaign will consist of constructing ever more bizarre and laughable straw men, only to demolish them in subsequent live TV interviews
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Richard_Nabavi
    "Cromwell's army was very effective."

Mainly because the opposition was led by interbred, over privileged fops.
    #lessonsfromhistory
  • Options
    Flockers_pbFlockers_pb Posts: 204

As is seen at PMQs often enough, Ed can get under Dave's skin and get a reaction out of him.

True enough, but the Commons is a very different environment. If Ed makes cheap partisan points he won't have 250 people behind him caterwauling, he'll have a largely stony crowd in front of him. Cameron has got much better at handling Miliband in the last few months, and more often than not it has been Miliband who has lost his composure. Cameron has his script largely written. In the absence of detailed policy work, it is not clear what Miliband can do in the debates apart from recycling the occasionally effective opportunism of the last four years. Also Cameron has proven form as a big game player - remember the pressure he was under going into the conference last year?

I can see the argument - why take the risk? - but I don't think the Tories are sufficiently assured of winning this to think they don't need to take risks.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cyclefree

A great interview!

I'm a big fan of Lebanese women and this one is typical. So fresh so funny and they say what they think. Their only downside is too much plastic surgery and tatooed lip liner which is silly

I met the Lebanese Ambassador to the UK last week and she was most impressive (and very elegant - not at all as you describe them). She was encouraging me to visit Lebanon, which I would like to do - one of my great regrets is not visiting Syria a few years ago - but my other half is rather less keen.......
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Top quality muskets, I understand.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited March 2015

Pulpstar said:

And comparatively massive, it would be equivalent to an army of a quarter of a million today as a share of population.
  • Options
    FernandoFernando Posts: 145
    Was the format of the ‘seven-sided debates’ ever decided? Would Labour and Conservatives have only the same amount of time as the Greens and PC? And who had the last word? I suspect that even if all the parties agreed to the debates we would still be some way from agreeing the format.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Richard_Nabavi
    "Cromwell's army was very effective."

Mainly because the opposition was led by interbred, over privileged fops.
    #lessonsfromhistory

Yes, whereas the 1st Duke of Albemarle and The 3rd Lord Fairfax of Cameron were plebs.
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Every army needs to have a few bewigged and confused mascots.The more sensible ones keep them to a minimum though.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    May2015's seat calculator is predicting this lunchtime that the SNP will take 55 seats at the general election:

http://may2015.com/category/seat-calculator/

On this model, the four to stay out of their clutches are Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale & Tweeddale, Orkney & Shetland, Glasgow North East and East Renfrewshire. The first and the last of these seats would be on a knife-edge (though it should also be pointed out that Rutherglen & Hamilton West and Glenrothes would be SNP on a knife-edge the other way).

All of the Edinburgh seats would fall to the SNP on majorities of over 20%. On the betting markets, the SNP are odds against in Edinburgh South and Edinburgh North & Leith.

Incidentally, does any other constituency name have three double letters other than Dumfriesshire, Clydesdale and Tweeddale?
  • Options
    @GIN1138
    A Tory minority government will need a new leader.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TheScreamingEagles
    Every army needs to have a few bewigged and confused mascots.The more sensible ones keep them to a minimum though.

Blimey, your knowledge of history is even worse than your knowledge of ex and cum dividends
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Pulpstar said:

Tell that to the Irish.

Speaking of, where is @Neil? Haven't seen him around in these parts recently
  • Options
    isam said:

UKIP 43% Con 25% Lab 15%

I would have preferred

(a) to be the candidate!

And of course 75% of our laws ae not made in Brussels.
    UKIP took a German claim and adjusted it although this ''was not based on any empirical research, but an estimate assisted by “senior political experience” within its ranks.'
    '' a research paper undertaken by the independent House of Commons library found just 9 per cent of statutory instruments passed in the UK Parliament between 1998-2005 were implementing European legislation.''
    ''The fact the UKIP figure was based on a six-year old German analysis, which in itself had flaws, is enough to suggest this claim is a step too far.''
    http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/is-most-of-the-uks-law-made-in-brussels/1498
    In other news the affect of the EU laws was just “6.3 per cent according to the Swedish parliament, 12 per cent according to the Finnish parliament, and between 12 and 19 percent according to the Lithuanian parliament”.

It looks like the central plank of UKIP is bogus.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

Tell that to the Irish.

Speaking of, where is @Neil? Haven't seen him around in these parts recently
    He was here the other day, informing us he couldn't make the PB bash
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited March 2015
    @JohnRentoul: RT of the Day @LettersDesk SIR - If I hear one more politician use the term ‘empty-chair’ as a verb, I will ‘broken-nose’ him. #tvdebates
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

isam said:

UKIP 43% Con 25% Lab 15%

I would have preferred

(a) to be the candidate!

And of course 75% of our laws ae not made in Brussels.
    UKIP took a German claim and adjusted it although this ''was not based on any empirical research, but an estimate assisted by “senior political experience” within its ranks.'
    '' a research paper undertaken by the independent House of Commons library found just 9 per cent of statutory instruments passed in the UK Parliament between 1998-2005 were implementing European legislation.''
    ''The fact the UKIP figure was based on a six-year old German analysis, which in itself had flaws, is enough to suggest this claim is a step too far.''
    http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/is-most-of-the-uks-law-made-in-brussels/1498
    In other news the affect of the EU laws was just “6.3 per cent according to the Swedish parliament, 12 per cent according to the Finnish parliament, and between 12 and 19 percent according to the Lithuanian parliament”.

It looks like the central plank of UKIP is bogus.
    So either our legislators are legislating too much, or we are paying the EU parliament to do a whole load of nothing!
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Yup, but it still winds you up into a frothing mess of barely concealed rage, so it is worth the hit. you supercilious solicitor.
    :)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Smarmeron.. I do believe that the inbred,over privileged fops came back a few years later and seriously kicked ass.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Ed Balls says the Conservatives want to axe the Foreign Office - and then says they don't

Eddie Spheroids at his best.
This discussion has been closed.