Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP drop 6 pts in latest ICM phone poll

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP drop 6 pts in latest ICM phone poll

The June telephone poll from ICM, one of the three remaining regular surveys that carry out their fieldwork in this way, is out and sees a sharp decline for UKIP after reaching 18% last month.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    Sleazy broken UKIP on the slide.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Must be an outlier! LOL
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    Others including UKIp 23% though.
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    Has Gerry Adams become a pedicurist?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    It's the Others that count! Must be a joke in there somewhere, from my cigarette smoking days.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,306
    To be down to the same level as the Lib Dems. How humiliating is that?

UKIP have still come a long way and I doubt they are finished yet.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    It has to be viewed in context. The drop is only two thirds of last months rise

Up three points in two months is good progress

Like Crystal Palace being 4th in the Prem at Christmas and finishing 10th
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    FPT @ Mark Senior: "No one got the exact correct forecast of the ICM poll but I make it that Cyclefree was nearest with Con 28 UKIP 12 . "

Good grief!
  • Options
    Windies look well short. This Indian attack is not to be underrated.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

So people are asked if they are going to vote Labour, Conservative or Lib Dem, and if they say other (which is probably UKIP for over half of them) they arent prompted to say which "other"?

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    U KIP is well named, a one policy party that wont be supported in any referendum

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Farage's leadership on the line?!

(Again)
  • Options
    According to the Guardian (and even I find this slightly hard to believe, so it may be a mistake) the combined percentage for the SNP and Plaid Cymru in this poll is 8%. That must be some kind of record.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Do we know whether the 6% fall in UKIP VI is due to mortality rates or the early onset of senile dementia?

Are the sub-tables out yet?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    isam said:

So people are asked if they are going to vote Labour, Conservative or Lib Dem, and if they say other (which is probably UKIP for over half of them) they arent prompted to say which "other"?

"The Conservatives, Labour, the Liberal Democrats and other parties would fight a new election in your area. If there were a general election tomorrow which party do you think you would vote for?"
  • Options
    FPT BenM
    BenM said:

DavidL said:

This morning's production release was not stunning, the monthly and yearly growth numbers confirm that. In addition the index is still below the recent peak and way below the pre-crash peak. Manufacturing has been ok (flat mostly after the rebound), but oil/gas has dragged the numbers down considerably over last few years. The monthly numbers are erratic. Largely the impressive 3m/3m number is due to weakness in January.

But in terms of Q2 GDP this morning's release is potentially very significant. If production is flat in May/June (note flat), then production in Q2 will have risen approx 1.2% in comparison to Q1. That will almost certainly mean a big Q2 GDP number.

As I said in Q4, there were a lot of base-effects and temporary weaknesses building up in the data around and in the run up to xmas. These were always likely to unwind in Q2. If they don't then it really is time to worry. If construction is in any way positive and services continues its steady upward trend then Q2 alone could see more growth than most are predicting for 2013 as a whole.

Reminds me of the old trader's adage: the time to buy is when the market is at its most pessimistic.

I would guess 0.5% or 0.6% for Q2 at the moment which means we will have met yearly projections for growth in H1. H2 may not be quite as exciting but a figure over 1.5% is now really possible. I am anxious to see if this feeds into lower deficit figures. If so Osborne will look even smugger than he does already.

Osborne would have to admit that it was growth all along that closes deficits.

Awkward.
    It is organic growth achieved without the stimulus of rising government borrowing that is reducing the deficit.

Something George has always targetted and is now achieving.

Something beyond even the farthest reaches of Gordon's wild economic imagination.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Do we know whether the 6% fall in UKIP VI is due to mortality rates or the early onset of senile dementia?

How dare you infer switchers from UKIP to Lab & Cons are suffering from senile dementia
  • Options
    corporeal said:

isam said:

"The Conservatives, Labour, the Liberal Democrats and other parties would fight a new election in your area. If there were a general election tomorrow which party do you think you would vote for?"
    OK, so the UKIP share is obviously more than whatever is recorded, as inevitably they have voters who have said "other"
  • Options
    Well said Avery.

Real growth is growth. Deficit funded growth is a dangerous phantom that leads to bankruptcy.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,109
    isam said:

AveryLP said:

How dare you infer switchers from UKIP to Lab & Cons are suffering from senile dementia
    I think he's implying it, and you're inferring he's serious.

• Options
    "OK, so the UKIP share is obviously more than whatever is recorded, as inevitably they have voters who have said "other""

It doesn't work like that. If you believe the Guardian report, the 10% for others is comprised of -

8% for SNP and Plaid Cymru
    2% for the Greens
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

10th doesn't win you any prizes though

(speaking as a Spurs fan... I'm not bitter...)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

FPT BenM

BenM said:

DavidL said:

This morning's production release was not stunning, the monthly and yearly growth numbers confirm that. In addition the index is still below the recent peak and way below the pre-crash peak. Manufacturing has been ok (flat mostly after the rebound), but oil/gas has dragged the numbers down considerably over last few years. The monthly numbers are erratic. Largely the impressive 3m/3m number is due to weakness in January.

But in terms of Q2 GDP this morning's release is potentially very significant. If production is flat in May/June (note flat), then production in Q2 will have risen approx 1.2% in comparison to Q1. That will almost certainly mean a big Q2 GDP number.

As I said in Q4, there were a lot of base-effects and temporary weaknesses building up in the data around and in the run up to xmas. These were always likely to unwind in Q2. If they don't then it really is time to worry. If construction is in any way positive and services continues its steady upward trend then Q2 alone could see more growth than most are predicting for 2013 as a whole.

Reminds me of the old trader's adage: the time to buy is when the market is at its most pessimistic.

I would guess 0.5% or 0.6% for Q2 at the moment which means we will have met yearly projections for growth in H1. H2 may not be quite as exciting but a figure over 1.5% is now really possible. I am anxious to see if this feeds into lower deficit figures. If so Osborne will look even smugger than he does already.

Awkward.
    It is organic growth achieved without the stimulus of rising government borrowing that is reducing the deficit.

Something beyond even the farthest reaches of Gordon's wild economic imagination.

The deficit is forecast to be £120bn this fiscal.

Enough said.
  • Options

"OK, so the UKIP share is obviously more than whatever is recorded, as inevitably they have voters who have said "other""

It doesn't work like that. If you believe the Guardian report, the 10% for others is comprised of -

8% for SNP and Plaid Cymru
    2% for the Greens

Oh ok, cheers.

So if you say others when asked, they ask "which other?"
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

OK, so the UKIP share is obviously more than whatever is recorded, as inevitably they have voters who have said "other"
    No, if they say "other" they ask them which other.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    UKIP will get another chance, no doubt, in Euro 2014 (as it were) to place themselves at the centre of UK political discussion (if they've lost it).
  • Options
    BenM said:

AveryLP said:

FPT BenM

BenM said:

DavidL said:

Awkward.

Enough said.
    How about a bet? You pay me £1 for every £1bn the deficit is lower than £120bn and I'll pay you £1 for every £1bn above £120bn (capped at £120).
  • Options
    If UKIP are on 12%, Others on 11% that's very poor for the main three parties. Labour are not doing that well despite the Coalition being useless. Will Labour win the next GE outright? Not sure, but if they do surely small majority.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

As an Arsenal fan, neither does 4th!

• Options

According to the Guardian (and even I find this slightly hard to believe, so it may be a mistake) the combined percentage for the SNP and Plaid Cymru in this poll is 8%. That must be some kind of record.

They start out experimenting with UKIP then before they know it they're hooked and demanding harder nationalist parties...
  • Options

isam said:

corporeal said:

isam said:

No, if they say "other" they ask them which other.
    Got it!

Cheers

Well no shame in 12% from ICM.

• Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

As an Arsenal fan, neither does 4th!

No, but at least you get to compete in the next round. Bit like being one of the prompted parties I suppose...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The dog that didn't bark is that the Conservatives failed to recover as UKIP dropped back. This poll is very good news for Labour.
  • Options
    ...and BenM what was the inherited deficit? Who was running a 3%+ deficit at the height of the boom? I agree the deficit is not coming down fast enough but deciding who is to blame for the fact that we have monster deficit is a no brainer. Thanks Gordon.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

If UKIP are on 12%, Others on 11% that's very poor for the main three parties. Labour are not doing that well despite the Coalition being useless. Will Labour win the next GE outright? Not sure, but if they do surely small majority.

Very Doubtful.

Hung Parliament again, methinks.

• Options
    Charles said:

BenM said:

AveryLP said:

FPT BenM

BenM said:

DavidL said:

Awkward.

Enough said.
    How about a bet? You pay me £1 for every £1bn the deficit is lower than £120bn and I'll pay you £1 for every £1bn above £120bn (capped at £120).
    The propaganda Avery was trying to stand up was that somehow this growth is more organic than the record unbroken growth seen under the last Labour government.

But it isn't more organic or anything. It's just growth.

For what its worth I think borrowing may well come in lower than the official forecast. Especially if growth in the calendar year tops 1pc.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

The dog that didn't bark is that the Conservatives failed to recover as UKIP dropped back. This poll is very good news for Labour.

PB Tory favourite Dan Hodges will be crying into his pint.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited June 2013
    BenM said:

Farage's leadership on the line?!

(Again)

Hey, little Ben
    When, when, when
    Will you lay me a Clegg for my tea?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    UKIP are likely to bounce up and down between about 10 and 18% until the election. They are very fortunate that the Romanian/Bulgarian issue, the Eurozone crisis, and European elections next year will keep them in the news, otherwise I think they would have gradually seen the support erode. As it is, UKIP-leaning Labourites and Tories will switch back and forth between their historic parties and UKIP as European and immigration issues rise up and down in the news. That should be enough to turn a number of them into permament UKIP voters.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

AveryLP said:

FPT BenM

BenM said:

DavidL said:

Awkward.

Enough said.
    The propaganda Avery was trying to stand up was that somehow this growth is more organic than the record unbroken growth seen under the last Labour government.

For what its worth I think borrowing may well come in lower than the official forecast. Especially if growth in the calendar year tops 1pc.
    The deficit is falling at a rate of £30bn a year on the back of 0.3% quarterly growth.

If the OECD is correct and the UK economy is now back growing at trend then the deficit reduction this year may be higher than £30 bn.

The deficit would be further reduced by proceeds from sale of shares in the intervened banks.

It is falling from a fiscal year opening level of £86 bn (PSND ex).

The only record Gordon achieved in his term of office was record borrowing both in real terms and as a percentage of GDP.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

Very Doubtful.

Hung Parliament again, methinks.

Given the Lib Dem polling, it's quite possible Labour will need more than just the Lib Dems to form a stable majority.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ICM/The Sunil:

Tory/UKIP 41%
    Labour 36%
  • Options
    BenM said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

AveryLP said:

FPT BenM

BenM said:

DavidL said:

Awkward.

Enough said.

The point he was trying to make is that private sector growth is better than public sector growth because it doesn't cost the taxpayer anything.

Public sector spending can stimulate growth but the net benefit (economic value added less cost of achieving it) is lower (but may still be positive). There comes a point, though, wehre you get diminishing returns from more public sector spending (crowding out) - who knows exactly where that is, although in my view there are parts of the UK where that is definitely the case [I'd rather look at the regional stats than the national ones for something like this].

• Options
    edited June 2013
    AveryLP said:

BenM said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

AveryLP said:

FPT BenM

BenM said:

DavidL said:

Awkward.

Enough said.

The deficit is falling at a rate of £30bn a year on the back of 0.3% quarterly growth.

If the OECD is correct and the UK economy is now back growing at trend then the deficit reduction this year may be higher than £30 bn.

The deficit would be further reduced by proceeds from sale of shares in the intervened banks.

The only record Gordon achieved in his term of office was record borrowing both in real terms and as a percentage of GDP.

The opening deficit we are interested in for comparison is £119.5bn.

A more honest appraisal of the government's record on deficit reduction:
    We reduced the deficit by a third in our first two years in government, mostly by massive cuts to public investment, which we now understand were a big mistake and have damaged the economy. We've also now realised that trying to reduce the deficit further while the economy isn't growing is self-defeating, so we're not even going to try to get back on track until it does grow. We won't miss our fiscal targets, since we no longer really have any. If the IMF understood that we're not really going anywhere, perhaps they would stop telling us to change course
    http://niesr.ac.uk/blog/deficit-falling#.UbcmtefVCSo
  • Options
    We will see real progress on the deficit when government spending stops being a leading cause of growth. This was achieved for the first time in a depressingly long time in Q1 when the contribution of government to GDP was positive but less than the overall rate of growth.

If we could keep that up for the next 10 years or so we may well get somewhere.
  • Options
    @BenM

I saw yesterday that Osborne is thinking of reducing the London transport budget. That will massively cut into capital investment. It's madness.
  • Options
    BenM said:

antifrank said:

PB Tory favourite Dan Hodges will be crying into his pint.
    Why? He'll say it's down to Ed Miliband accepting the need to cap benefits.
  • Options
    'Disagree With An Atos Decision? Then Starve, Says DWP'

The DWP have laid a vicious benefit trap which will mean severely sick and disabled people will have no legal entitlement to benefit at all if they choose to appeal an assessment by the notorious IT company Atos.

Atos carry out the Work Capability Assessment (WCA), the test for the sickness and disability benefit Employment Support Allowance. This crude computer based test has been use to strip benefits from hundreds of thousands of people by declaring them ‘fit for work’.

From October this year claimants will not be able to appeal against a ‘fit for work’ decision until they have first requested a ‘mandatory reconsideration’ by a DWP decision maker. Only if the claimant disagrees with this decision will they be able to take an appeal to a benefit tribunal. This process is likely to take months.

A recent response to an FOI request (PDF) confirms that claimants will not be able to claim ESA whilst waiting for this process to be completed. The DWP say that claimants will instead have the: “option of applying for alternative benefits, such as Jobseekers Allowance, however they must meet the conditions of entitlement”.

One of the key conditions of entitlement for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) – the benefit for those unemployed not unwell – is that the claimants is able to work.

http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/disagree-with-an-atos-decision-then-starve-say-dwp/

• Options
    "One of the key conditions of entitlement for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) – the benefit for those unemployed not unwell – is that the claimants is able to work."

But they have been declared fit for work, so surely they'll meet that condition?
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    tim said:

Dan Hodges "theory" that everything over 6% for UKIP should be added to the Tory score is working out as well as all his other theories.

Whatever about his theories he's carving out a living for himself. Not as exotic as the places our SeanT gets to but a living nonetheless.

• Options
    "But they have been declared fit for work, so surely they'll meet that condition?"

The point he's making is that if they're appealing the decision, they're declaring that they're not fit for work, in which case claiming JSA on the basis that they are fit for work would be potentially fraudulent. Apart from anything else, a condition of JSA is that you actively seek work.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    BenM said:

AveryLP said:

BenM said:

Charles said:

BenM said:

AveryLP said:

FPT BenM

BenM said:

DavidL said:

Awkward.

Enough said.

The opening deficit we are interested in for comparison is £119.5bn.

A more honest appraisal of the government's record on deficit reduction:
    We reduced the deficit by a third in our first two years in government, mostly by massive cuts to public investment, which we now understand were a big mistake and have damaged the economy. We've also now realised that trying to reduce the deficit further while the economy isn't growing is self-defeating, so we're not even going to try to get back on track until it does grow. We won't miss our fiscal targets, since we no longer really have any. If the IMF understood that we're not really going anywhere, perhaps they would stop telling us to change course
    http://niesr.ac.uk/blog/deficit-falling#.UbcmtefVCSo

"Public investment" is an obsolete term for "further government borrowing". Not used as a term in modern political discourse since the reign of King Gordon of the Scots.

The economy is growing without the assistance of increased government borrowing.

The Primary Fiscal Mandate and the supplementary target are being maintained by the government. Forecast dates for achieving both improved very marginally in the March OBR EFO. They are both likely to improve substantially in the next OBR EFO due in July.

The deficit is being reduced, as stated in my previous post, at a rate of £30 bn per year based on Q1 actual growth rates. Further improvements are more likely than not,

It all rather makes the NIESR statement look rather irrelevant, outdated and wrong.

Keep up with the times Ben.

Start thinking tax cuts rather than deficits and you will be on the right course.

• Options
    Interesting that in the Jonathan Portes article I linked to he notes that deficit reduction thus far has come from cuts in public investment (hence the collapse in construction) and tax rises and most pointedly that these were policies inherited from the last government!

Fun fact: Osborne isn't responsible for any of the deficit reduction we've seen.

LoL!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

"One of the key conditions of entitlement for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) – the benefit for those unemployed not unwell – is that the claimants is able to work."

But they have been declared fit for work, so surely they'll meet that condition?

A decent proportion of these people are going on to win their appeals, so presumably they don't.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    BenM said:

Fun fact: Osborne isn't responsible for any of the deficit reduction we've seen.

But bad news for tim as he wont get to blame Osborne for cutting investment any more!
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Yes but they themselves don't think they are fit for work. There is an appeals process, but when they are going through that they won't get anything.

It seems only fair that anybody that wins their appeal should at least be back paid ESA from the time it stopped.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a court case to that effect, at some juncture.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Interesting that in the Jonathan Portes article I linked to he notes that deficit reduction thus far has come from cuts in public investment (hence the collapse in construction) and tax rises and most pointedly that these were policies inherited from the last government!

LoL!

You'll be reduced to quoting Danny "5 Million Unemployed" Blanchflower next, Ben.

Time to give up and celebrate the house building led Osborne recovery, methinks.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,637
    I don't really believe a poll that puts UKIP and LD on the same score. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Using Electoral Calculus with this poll gives a Labour majority of 84.

It's a bit sobering to realise that this is with a very slightly smaller lead than the Conservatives had in 2010 - that failed to give them an overall majority. I'm pretty sure that STV with County/Large City-wide multi-member constituencies would give us less perverse results, and pooling higher turnout rural areas with lower turnout urban areas would mean Tory voters were not penalised for voting conscientiously in safe seats. They'd also have a chance at having an MP to represent Glasgow...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,637
    antifrank said:

It may be good news for Labour in terms of seats but 36% is a bit disappointing in mid-term. It means they could struggle to reach 33% at the GE.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

@BenM

I saw yesterday that Osborne is thinking of reducing the London transport budget. That will massively cut into capital investment. It's madness.

It punctures the floppy haired buffoon in charge of our capital city that's for sure.

All that money wasted on expensive routemasters no one wanted....
  • Options
    @AveryLP
    "The deficit is being reduced, as stated in my previous post, at a rate of £30 bn per year based on Q1 actual growth rates."

I really find it very hard to believe that 1.2% growth will reduce the deficit by £30bn. On that basis if we had 4.8% growth we would have a balanced budget?

I really don't think so. If the deficit this year, on a like for like basis, is under £100bn that will be progress of a sort and hopefully give a much lower base for next year when growth should be stronger still unless those silly Europeans muck things up again.

£100,000,000,000. It's still a mind boggling sum. I remember in the early 90s when a deficit of 40 odd billion was thought to be catastrophic. Brown pushed us so far into the sea of debt that it is hard to see the shore.
  • Options
    Start thinking tax cuts rather than deficits and you will be on the right course.

We've yet to see if the return to private sector growth is feeding through into better government receipts. The jury is still out on that one.
  • Options
    David L.

If the deficit is coming down, its not a moment too soon. US treasury bond yields are starting to ratchet upwards as the fed tiptoes away from QE.

That will probably drive up borrowing costs everywhere
  • Options
    taffys said:

We've yet to see if the return to private sector growth is feeding through into better government receipts. The jury is still out on that one.

Correct and I really wonder if government receipts can really accelerate when wages are still falling in real terms. It also does not help that we seem to have a tax structure which allows our largest and most profitable companies to opt out of tax but we have probably debated that enough recently.

I will be delighted in Avery proves me wrong but I fear the impact of better growth on the deficit is going to be more modest than he hopes.

• Options

Socrates said:

A decent proportion of these people are going on to win their appeals, so presumably they don't.
    Once they win their appeals, they'll be able to claim disability again, though...
  • Options
    @AveryLP

No, Gordon Brown spent money on government consumption and called it investment. That doesn't mean actual capital investment is a bad idea.
  • Options
    "Once they win their appeals, they'll be able to claim disability again, though..."

How can they win their appeals if they "actively seek work" in compliance with the conditions of JSA?
  • Options
    taffys said:

David L.

If the deficit is coming down, its not a moment too soon. US treasury bond yields are starting to ratchet upwards as the fed tiptoes away from QE.

£3.75bn of UK 10 year gilts sold for 2.365% today. Yields on the rise...
  • Options
    taffys said:

David L.

I can understand the concern but the truth is that the BoE will probably just keep printing and buying to keep rates down. If bond rates were not being distorted by QE we would probably have defaulted by now.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    AveryLP said:

BenM said:

LoL!

You'll be reduced to quoting Danny "5 Million Unemployed" Blanchflower next, Ben.

Time to give up and celebrate the house building led Osborne recovery, methinks.

Growth looks as though it will be respectable this year, but it's far too soon to say that we're out of the woods.

• Options
    £3.75bn of UK 10 year gilts sold for 2.365% today. Yields on the rise...

At a time when you think we should be borrowing more for 'investment' LOL wonder what the yields would be then
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

Once they win their appeals, they'll be able to claim disability again, though...
    And what happens in the meantime, between the original decision and a successful appeal? AIUI the money is removed, which will force people into hardship.

ATOS really is not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited June 2013
    I'm calling it.

UKIP/Others %s are Outliers.

How many Mrs Jones in the valleys did ICM call ?

UKIP to Plaid Cymru switchers. LOL. No.
  • Options
    tim said:

SNP/PC vote up from 2.3% in 2010 to 8%?
    Don't think so, ICMs adjustments or an unusual sample must've led to that

Since the data tables aren't out for this month I had a quick look at last month.

Something very strange going on there, with the BNP on 39% of the vote [and a plurality] in the Welsh subsample and 12% in the Midlands subsample [Table 3], and 1 GE2010 BNP voter in the unweighted base somehow becoming 18 in the weighted base [Table 11].

I think that with the smaller parties, if you have a couple of people who "forget" that they voted for that smaller party in the last election it can play havoc with the weightings for past vote. Is possible something similar may have happened with SNP/PC this time.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Sean_F said:

AveryLP said:

BenM said:

LoL!

Growth looks as though it will be respectable this year, but it's far too soon to say that we're out of the woods.

Indeed, Sean, and while Avery constantly throws statistics at us and hails a rise of 0.2% in something as tantamount to an economic miracle, I'm left with more anecdotal evidence of how things are or aren't progressing.

I would say growth currently is weak and the benefits have yet to really feed through to the electorate. Yes, some have argued that people have gone out and spent on the back of reduced taxes thanks to increased personal allowances (score one for the LDs, there) and better weather and there may be some truth in that.

I had to replace a fridge/freezer at the weekend and the like-for-like product is 25% cheaper than it was seven years ago. Yet my travel costs to work have risen by about that same 25% so relief in some areas is balanced by pain in others.

I accept people will be happy we are no longer looking over the economic abyss but I'm yet to be convinced that by May 2015 many will be able to say they are better off than they were in 2010 and talk of tax cuts (perhaps) from one side or the other won't cut much ice with a sceptical electorate.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    @Pulpstar @Andy_JS A rogue poll is one whose results you dislike.
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop

I did like the question in the HoC about whether it was true that Atos had passed Richard III as fit for work but I am absolutely certain I would find it a lot less funny if I was in need of such benefits.

Disability has been used as such a dumping ground for governments of all persuasions that it is inevitably going to be difficult and painful in sorting out the wheat from the chaff. A situation where benefits are withdrawn without an adequate replacement is immoral and quite possibly illegal under the National Assistance Acts. IDS has to move with greater care and sensitivity here than he has to date.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

For a short period of time. Then they face assessment from ATOS again, and face being judged fit to work by the same system.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    I'm surprised more isn't being made of the Thames Water tax story.

I'm all in favour of having successful companies here but if they don't pay any tax, what's the point? It does sometimes feel as if I and people like me are the only ones paying any bloody tax in this country.

Grumpy rant over.....
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

AveryLP said:

BenM said:

LoL!

Indeed, Sean, and while Avery constantly throws statistics at us and hails a rise of 0.2% in something as tantamount to an economic miracle, I'm left with more anecdotal evidence of how things are or aren't progressing.

I would say growth currently is weak and the benefits have yet to really feed through to the electorate. Yes, some have argued that people have gone out and spent on the back of reduced taxes thanks to increased personal allowances (score one for the LDs, there) and better weather and there may be some truth in that.

I had to replace a fridge/freezer at the weekend and the like-for-like product is 25% cheaper than it was seven years ago. Yet my travel costs to work have risen by about that same 25% so relief in some areas is balanced by pain in others.

I accept people will be happy we are no longer looking over the economic abyss but I'm yet to be convinced that by May 2015 many will be able to say they are better off than they were in 2010 and talk of tax cuts (perhaps) from one side or the other won't cut much ice with a sceptical electorate.

There is also the small matter of paying it back. Net debt currently stands at £1,185.3 billion and will be higher at the election. I am far from persuaded that tax cuts are the answer in such a scenario.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

I'm all in favour of having successful companies here but if they don't pay any tax, what's the point? It does sometimes feel as if I and people like me are the only ones paying any bloody tax in this country.

Grumpy rant over.....

What's the point in the UK being in the EU if companies can pay tax due on profits earnt here to other member states?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

@JosiasJessop

I did like the question in the HoC about whether it was true that Atos had passed Richard III as fit for work but I am absolutely certain I would find it a lot less funny if I was in need of such benefits.

Disability has been used as such a dumping ground for governments of all persuasions that it is inevitably going to be difficult and painful in sorting out the wheat from the chaff. A situation where benefits are withdrawn without an adequate replacement is immoral and quite possibly illegal under the National Assistance Acts. IDS has to move with greater care and sensitivity here than he has to date.

Sadly it's not just IDS, but also Labour. They're both as bad as each other on this; Labour would be doing exactly the same.

ATOS does not even have disabled parking outside their assessment centres, and a fair few actually have no disabled access.

Not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

taffys said:

David L.

I can understand the concern but the truth is that the BoE will probably just keep printing and buying to keep rates down. If bond rates were not being distorted by QE we would probably have defaulted by now.
    QE has reached a total of £375bn since March 2009.

If I'm looking at the right numbers, the cumulative budget deficit (excluding financial interventions) for the four financial years 2009-2013 has been about £400bn. So it looks as though HMG has only borrowed a net £25bn from the financial markets over that period, with the rest being printed by the Bank of England.

I can't understand how we've managed to get away with it. We're bankrupt. We're printing money to pay the bills.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited June 2013
    I've been through UK Polling report and the mean figure for others is 7.7 with an SDev of 1.94. This on its own doesn't prov anything, but ICM has never had an 'others' figure as high as 11 since they started polling (Including UKIP in the others category). Others figure is an outlier on the upside here.

I expect UKIP ~ 15-16 in the next (ICM) poll, and others ~ 8.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    DavidL said:

@AveryLP
    "The deficit is being reduced, as stated in my previous post, at a rate of £30 bn per year based on Q1 actual growth rates."

I really find it very hard to believe that 1.2% growth will reduce the deficit by £30bn. On that basis if we had 4.8% growth we would have a balanced budget?

I really don't think so. If the deficit this year, on a like for like basis, is under £100bn that will be progress of a sort and hopefully give a much lower base for next year when growth should be stronger still unless those silly Europeans muck things up again.

£100,000,000,000. It's still a mind boggling sum. I remember in the early 90s when a deficit of 40 odd billion was thought to be catastrophic. Brown pushed us so far into the sea of debt that it is hard to see the shore.

The Primary Fiscal Mandate targets the "Cyclically Adjusted Current Budget (CACB)" as the core "deficit" metric. It was around £96 bn (from memory) at the end of last fiscal year.

Osborne's self-imposed mandate is that the CACB is forecast to be eliminated within a five year rolling period. He is currently meeting this target and the forecast date for achievement moved forward, albeit slowly, in the March OBR EFO. It is likely to move further forward, by a more substantial amount, in the July EFO.

While eliminating the CACB deficit is important it is not necessarily urgent. In the short term it is better to reduce annual borrowing measured either on a cash basis or accrual basis. This can be done by a combination of reducing both recurring and non-recurring expenditure and/or by increasing both types of revenue. PSNB ex, the ONS measure of net borrowing, was around £86 billion at last year end. The two ONS metrics (on a cash and accrual basis) determine the amount of new borrowing the government needs to undertake and therefore the increase/(decrease) in overall debt servicing costs (on a volume basis).

Almost all turnarounds involve cutting capex and selling non-core assets in the initial stages. This is exactly what Osborne has been doing by reducing central government investment in infrastructure and will be doing by privatising Royal Mail. Capturing cash balances for the Treasury account (PO pension assets etc.) is also a means to reduce central government borrowing. So this is the real "deficit" in the sense that it measures the gap between government receipts and spending. It is Osborne's proper short term priority.

As Ben quite rightly points out, Osborne has partly reduced the 'borrowing deficit' by deferring or cancelling planned government investment in infrastructure. This is at a cost to short term growth but allows the 'borrowing deficit' to be reduced faster than would otherwise be the case.

You will note that Osborne has restored government capex when funds have become available within the overall plan to meet the fiscal mandate: £5 bn in this year's budget for example. He is also scheduling further infrastructure spending into medium term forecasts (post 2015) and no doubt some of the proceeds of bank share sales will be used to finance further investment.

So it is quite possible for Osborne to reduce the "borrowing deficit" this year by £30 bn with a growth rate of, say, 1.2%. The reductions would come from both recurring and non-recurring transactions and would reflect the continuance of his recovery plan rather than a fiscal plan for an economy in a 'normal' state.

The underlying deficit, or the CACB, can continue to exist even when the PSNB account is recording a surplus and this will almost certainly be the case in 2015-17. This is because the CACB is "cyclically adjusted" to trend levels of growth and to exclude other distortions introduced as recovery measures. It is tuned, if you like, to the pulse rate of a healthy person rather than a patient in intensive care or convalescence.

The deficit measure beloved by Ben is a wholly artificial metric constructed in the pluperfect subjective. It is what the "borrowing deficit" would have been, had certain non-recurring revenue streams and costs not occurred. It is fast becoming otiose and redundant as a metric and will in all likelihood be dropped as a published measure within the next year.

Still if it is keeping Ben and tim occupied and amused it is serving the public interest while it lasts.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

Erdogan gets tough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22859959

I hope everyone keeps safe over there.
  • Options
    'Infrastructure exists for Scottish welfare system'

A new report has underlined the affordability of an independent Scotland’s welfare system – and says the infrastructure to deliver benefits and pensions already exists.

The independent report of the Expert Working Group on Welfare has concluded the Scottish Government’s forecast on the cost of a welfare system in an independent Scotland is a “reasonable estimate”.

In assessing the Scottish Government’s forecasts of the costs of welfare in an independent Scotland, the group also concluded:

Spending on social protection (including welfare) as a share of GDP is estimated to have been lower in Scotland than in the rest of the UK in each of the past five years
    There has been a relative decline in welfare expenditure in Scotland as a proportion of that spent in Great Britain from a peak of 9.7% in 2002/03 to 8.9% in 2011/12
    'Scotland delivers almost all parts of the current UK benefits system to people living in Scotland from locations within Scotland' and 'Scotland provides a wide range of services to England. Some of these services are significant...and involve a claimant count measured in millions rather than thousands’.
    All options for the delivery of welfare at the point of independence - including a stand-alone Scottish system of administration - are possible but recommends a transitional period of shared administration

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2013/jun/infrastructure-exists-scottish-welfare-system
  • Options

DavidL said:

taffys said:

David L.

QE has reached a total of £375bn since March 2009.

If I'm looking at the right numbers, the cumulative budget deficit (excluding financial interventions) for the four financial years 2009-2013 has been about £400bn. So it looks as though HMG has only borrowed a net £25bn from the financial markets over that period, with the rest being printed by the Bank of England.

I can't understand how we've managed to get away with it. We're bankrupt. We're printing money to pay the bills.
    If we had had to borrow that £400bn from the market we would have been doing so at a substantial multiple of our current gilt rates which would in turn have pushed the deficit yet higher until we were shut out the market and forced to default.

I am no fan of QE but I cannot deny it has kept the show on the road. I seem to remember some failed politician claiming that we were the best placed to deal with the downturn. He was truly mad and not a little evil.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336
    Cyclefree said:

Grumpy rant over.....

Quite. I don't think that either personal or corporate taxes and benefits are fit for purpose in this globalised age, and those of us who aren't mobile are paying more because others are paying less.

Short of One World Government (hello Bilderberg, where do we sign up?), this needs a coordinated international push - the G20 being the obvious place to start.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited June 2013

We're getting away with it because the markets, which (contrary to popular belief) are remarkably patient and take a multi-year view, are confident that Osborne is serious about addressing the problem and that the coalition is reasonably secure. They are probably also factoring in an assessment that, stripping away all the cant and hypocrisy, even a future Labour government would broadly follow Osborne's plans.

However, it is all about confidence, which can be lost very quickly. Clearly there is political risk for 2015 onwards (which personally I think the markets are underestimating).
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

For a short period of time. Then they face assessment from ATOS again, and face being judged fit to work by the same system.
    I met a chap who was laid off by Royal Mail because their ATOS adviser said he wasn't fit for work, then refused benefit because another ATOS adviser said he WAS fit for work.He was more phlegmatic about it than I would have been - seemed to just feel this was the normal run of crap things that happen, and was morosely drawing JSA with no prospect whatever of getting another job..

• Options
    Blimey. Avery appears to know his onions when it comes to deficit definitions.

However defined - please can we get it down
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    stodge said:

Sean_F said:

AveryLP said:

BenM said:

LoL!

Most people will almost certainly not be better off than they were in 2010, indeed, won't be better off than they were in 2003. Across Western countries, it seems that average earners have ceased to share in the proceeds of such growth as there is.

• Options
    Oblitus...

We're also getting away with it because plenty of others are at it. That's why the Federal Reserve long march away from QE is significant, in my view.

Investors mayl be less willing to tolerate it.
  • Options
    MrsBMrsB Posts: 574
    The drop in UKIP support must be due to the Bilderberg meeting.
  • Options

I met a chap who was laid off by Royal Mail because their ATOS adviser said he wasn't fit for work, then refused benefit because another ATOS adviser said he WAS fit for work.

Obviously I know nothing about the circumstances, and I have no particular reason to defend ATOS, but that's not impossible, is it? He might have been unfit to do delivery work, which is physically relatively demanding, but fit to do another type of work.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

I met a chap who was laid off by Royal Mail because their ATOS adviser said he wasn't fit for work, then refused benefit because another ATOS adviser said he WAS fit for work.He was more phlegmatic about it than I would have been - seemed to just feel this was the normal run of crap things that happen, and was morosely drawing JSA with no prospect whatever of getting another job..

Can you lay someone off because they are not fit for work? Wouldn't you have an obligation to address those needs (e.g. a desk job) first?
  • Options
    @MrsB - Brilliant!
  • Options
    Apparently, there are tories on here who still take seriously Cameron's promised 're-negotiation of Britain's relationship with the EU'. I thought this line was merely intended for those tories, and maybe a few floating voters, who have no more than a passing interest in what happens.

What is Cameron's pre-referendum intention---are we going to be dazzled with 'opt-outs' and 'red lines'?

The EU is a 1950s solution to to a 1930s problem. There may be a legitimate case for defending it, but if there is, we haven't heard it yet.

If we weren't members, would we choose to join now?

When something is damaged beyond repair, the simplest thing to do is to move on. This is the UKIP approach. Announce Britain's intention to quit the EU, and during the notice period, we can have sensible and mature discussions with our European friends, customers and suppliers to come up with something that does work. This is not extreme, 'swivel-eyed' or whatever. Just normal and reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.