Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nighthawks is now open

If you’ve always been a lurker, nighthawks gives you an opportunity to delurk, why not take a Walk on the wild side, posting on pb will make it a Perfect Day for you.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited June 2013
    First. I am wondering whether TSE has become addicted to power?

Absolutely cracking job in OGH's absence. Well done that man.
  • SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    I'd love to hear Yokel's views on the Turkish protest movement, and how it differs from other Arab Spring countries.
  • FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    FPT

Just looked through the 300+ comments on CIF in response to the Guardian's analysis of the ICM poll. Could not find one comment in support of EdM, EdB and the rest of the shadow cabinet, but there is trough loads of criticism of Labour.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good evening, everyone.

Mr. Financier, I hypothesise that the underlying reason behind the behaviour you observed is that Ed Miliband is shit.
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2013
    Socrates said:

Quite. In fact, it's far more clear what would happen if we left the EU, because it's the status of a whole bunch of countries: Switzerland, Korea, Japan, Canada, Australia etc. What's less clear is what will happen in the EU, because it's a unique experiment in integration between nations that has never happened before. But none of those countries have never been in the EU. If you could tell me emphatically that we can disentangle ourselves from 40 years of membership with minimal fuss and that we'll all sail off into a better future when OUT then I'd vote OUT tomorrow, Nothing would make me happier.

-----------------------------------------------------

As Omnium says below (and I thank him for his wise point) the decision to drive an OUT vote should be made on principle. The fact that no leading political party is making a principled case for leaving concerns me that leaving may not be a good idea. Perhaps our leading politicians are a bunch of gutless Europhile dumbf*cks all gormlessly heading for the inevitable crash together, ready to take us down with it.

Or perhaps they are all hard-headed pragmatists, aware that the socio-economic and political situation across the EU is precarious right now and that a decision by a governing British party to leave the EU could destabilise things to a point beyond which we can control it.

I'm always willing to be told I am very, very wrong. And part of me wants Cameron to tell the EU to piss off and shat on the Brussels carpet as he leaves. But that's why people like me won't ever get very far in sensible politics. And it's why I'm among a minority of people who still naive/docile/servile to believe our political leaders will choose the best option for all of us.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Socrates said:

I'd love to hear Yokel's views on the Turkish protest movement, and how it differs from other Arab Spring countries.

Turkey isn't anything like the other states involved in the 'Arab Spring'. This is much more akin to protests here in the UK.

Russia's lower house of parliament, the Duma, has passed a law imposing heavy fines for providing information about homosexuality to people under 18.

The measure was passed unanimously and will become law when approved by the upper house and President Vladimir Putin, a virtual formality.

Gay rights campaigners clashed with anti-gay activists outside the Duma.

The lower house also passed a bill imposing up to three years in jail on those who offend religious believers.

The law comes in the wake of the imprisoning of members of the punk band Pussy Riot for performing an anti-Putin protest in an Orthodox cathedral in February 2012.

Two band members, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina, are currently serving two-year jail terms.

The new law on "offending religious feelings of the faithful" will also take effect after approval by the upper house and the president.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22862210
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,765
    People don't want the Britain that Ed M is trying to create. In hard times, people turn rightwards, not leftwards.

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    A belated "Well done" TSE on running the site in OGH absence - including the memorable "CatFlap" (now immortalised on a blog somewhere!) - which you successfully delegated.

Thanks also for The Hobbit trailer - I saw "Behind the Candelabra" yesterday in a surprisingly busy Monday afternoon matinee. Excellent performances all round - in particular Michael Douglas - who sadly will never get an Oscar as it was judged "too gay" for mainstream Cinema release in the US and ended up on HBO.

The Brits passed it uncut as "Suitable for 15 year olds".
    tim said:

1.Turks aren't Arabs
    2.Turkey is a democracy.

It's hard to conceive of a better summary.

Mr. Financier, by chance I was reading the Wiki entry about the Ottoman Empire earlier today. In the mid-19th century they decriminalised homosexuality. It's a shame that nowadays some countries are moving in quite the opposite direction.
    The promise by the European Central Bank to do "whatever it takes" to save the euro is being challenged in Germany's constitutional court.

The ECB's vow to buy up the bonds of eurozone countries if they come under severe pressure has been credited with arresting the eurozone crisis.

There are fears that a court ruling against it could reignite market panic.

The head of Germany's own central bank is expected to tell the court that the policy breaches Germany's constitution.

Bundesbank President Jens Weidmann believes it is illegal because there is no limit to Germany's spending liability under the scheme, and that it is effectively a back-door way of providing loans to other countries' governments.

But the court will also hear from supporters of the scheme, such as the German ECB board member Joerg Asmussen.

He told Germany's top-selling Bild newspaper on Monday that a court order to withdraw the programme would have "significant consequences".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22852929

Interesting to see the EU cracks grow in Germany ahead of the autumn election.
    tim said:

Socrates said:

1.Turks aren't Arabs
    2.Turkey is a democracy.

1. I didn't mean to imply they were Arabs, but you're right that I shouldn't have put the "other" in there.
    2. Not really.
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Omnium said:

tim said:

1.Turks aren't Arabs
    2.Turkey is a democracy.

tim said:

Socrates said:

1.Turks aren't Arabs
    2.Turkey is a democracy.

Turkey has a large arab minority. Please desist in your vulgar and ignorant generalisations.

• FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited June 2013
    I just read the comments over at James Kelly's site Scot Goes Pop under his piece about PB anti-leftwingery..

Lol.

I think I must be just as tragic for going there (my first ever visit) and reading it all.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    Financier said:

Russia's lower house of parliament, the Duma, has passed a law imposing heavy fines for providing information about homosexuality to people under 18.

The measure was passed unanimously and will become law when approved by the upper house and President Vladimir Putin, a virtual formality.

The lower house also passed a bill imposing up to three years in jail on those who offend religious believers.

The law comes in the wake of the imprisoning of members of the punk band Pussy Riot for performing an anti-Putin protest in an Orthodox cathedral in February 2012.

Two band members, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Maria Alyokhina, are currently serving two-year jail terms.

The new law on "offending religious feelings of the faithful" will also take effect after approval by the upper house and the president.

It's democracy Jim, but not as we know it.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    edited June 2013
    Omnium said:

Socrates said:

Turkey isn't anything like the other states involved in the 'Arab Spring'. This is much more akin to protests here in the UK.

When was the last time tear gas was used in London?
    Breaking on the ticker at the BBC website:
    "Man charged over explosion at Lincolnshire constituency office of Tory MP Nick Boles"
    @MonikerDiCanio

I apologise if you found my comment hurtful. My point (and perhaps Tim's) was that you can't generalise. The Arab Spring was a 'meme' that caught on in the predominantly Arab world. Turkey has long been a place where ideas are mixed between East and West. No doubt there is some influence resulting from the appetite for change in her neighbours. However they are a democracy (no doubt with issues).
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    What's in a name?
    A propos the EU's short selling case against the UK:
    "Hubert Legal, the head of the legal service at the Council of the EU and most senior Brussels lawyer ..."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/10113280/UK-challenges-illegal-EU-power-to-ban-short-selling.html
    ...well our Lord Chief Justice is Judge Judge! Difficult to trump that.
    FPT, the wonders of the Single Market leave me cold. Where is the advantage in wishing to integrate with a part of the world whose share of world GDP and British exports is in irrevocable decline?

Mr. W, don't we also have a Lord Lord?
    edited June 2013
    Omnium said:

@MonikerDiCanio

I apologise if you found my comment hurtful. My point (and perhaps Tim's) was that you can't generalise. The Arab Spring was a 'meme' that caught on in the predominantly Arab world. Turkey has long been a place where ideas are mixed between East and West. No doubt there is some influence resulting from the appetite for change in her neighbours. However they are a democracy (no doubt with issues).

I wasn't offended or hurt by your comment. I was just surprised that you regarded tim's ignorant and vulgar post as excellent.

When was the last time tear gas used in London?

The policing policy is hardly relevant. Tear gas would have been used in London if it had been available a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure (and I hope not) that Turkish citizens have been witness to machete attacks in broad daylight recently.

Omnium said:

tim said:

1.Turks aren't Arabs
    2.Turkey is a democracy.

tim said:

Socrates said:

1.Turks aren't Arabs
    2.Turkey is a democracy.

Turkey has a large arab minority. Please desist in your vulgar and ignorant generalisations.

I thought the largest minority in Turkey are the Kurds (who aren't Arab, as they speak an Iranian language-family).
    @MonikerDiCanio

I disagree with Tim almost always, but in this instance he entirely identified the two salient points about why comparisons with the Arab Spring aren't terribly helpful. Some philosopher somewhere said 'an idea is valid no matter what it's source' and I find that hard to dispute. Normal hostilities vis-à-vis Tim will no doubt resume when he makes his next comment, but for the time being I count him a temporary beacon of wisdom.
    edited June 2013
    Just this minute got a flyer through my door for a prospective independent councillor standing for Redbridge Council next year - so he must be keen! His main policy plank is to campaign to keep our local A & E at King George's Hospital. His name is Andy Walker and he was a Labour Councillor until recently.

Here is his website as mentioned on the flyer:

http://www.savekinggeorgehospital.wordpress.com
    MD, there is a Lady Garden.
    There's also a Mister Fear :p

[Presumably he's part of the 18-rated Mister Men Books].
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286
    This week's local elections for local people:

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.co.uk/
    F1: Vettel extends contract with Red Bull to 2015:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22865133
    Omnium said:

When was the last time tear gas used in London?

The policing policy is hardly relevant. Tear gas would have been used in London if it had been available a couple of years ago.

I'm not sure (and I hope not) that Turkish citizens have been witness to machete attacks in broad daylight recently.

But the London "protestors" in 2011 weren't calling for Cameron to go, they were mostly interested in their EMA - Electrical Merchandise Allowance :)
    Andy_JS said:

There's nothing for you here!
  • GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    @MyBurningEars

If history tells us anything, it's launch the coup why the leader is on holiday, preferably far abroad. So TSE's missed his chance.
    DavidL said:

Financier said:

Those are pretty bad laws, but Western European political establishments are also quite keen to repress speech that they deem offensive.

Mr. W, don't we also have a Lord Lord?

Abdullah Abdullah was once a prominent member of the post-Taliban Afghan government.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Marshall Aid wasn't a prominent US Army Commander.
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

His name is Andy Walker and he was a Labour Councillor until recently.

That suggests he was deselected?
    Neil said:

Possibly, though he actually says he resigned from Labour.
  • hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    I thought I would share this, as the shocking images of what a credit deflationary bust looks like:

http://preview.reuters.com/2013/6/5/gallery-down-and-out-in-athens

The pictures say it all.

There's also a Mister Fear :p

[Presumably he's part of the 18-rated Mister Men Books].

In due course, I hope to be Arch Lector Fear.

though he actually says he resigned from Labour.

They always say that, Sunil! ;)

But the London "protestors" in 2011 weren't calling for Cameron to go, they were mostly interested in their EMA - Electrical Merchandise Allowance :)

It doesn't really matter what they were protesting about does it? We have today a bunch of clowns that have been dragged off to experience her Majesty's pleasure from Beak Street. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Turkish people have an opportunity to vote for a new government in about 1 years time.

I have some sympathy for protesters here in the UK in that the system doesn't allow them to get an audience for their views, and perhaps that might be more the case in Turkey. There is though a place for the rule of law. It's a hard line to draw, but there is a line.

I wonder what Mullah Omar's doing these days? He was head of the Taliban at one time and may still be so.
  • hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    ....and this on some of the latest travails in Greece, before todays news about the state TV networks making many redundant:

http://www.acting-man.com/?p=24004

Omnium said:

tim said:

1.Turks aren't Arabs
    2.Turkey is a democracy.

tim said:

Socrates said:

1.Turks aren't Arabs
    2.Turkey is a democracy.

I thought the largest minority in Turkey are the Kurds (who aren't Arab, as they speak an Iranian language-family).
    For tim and his heroes Blair and Bush , Pope's saying that 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing' rings true. Ignorance mixed with arrogance has led to most of our present difficulties.
    Andy_JS said:

I wonder what Mullah Omar's doing these days?

You'd like to think he's chilled out a bit and developed a taste for the hardcore clubbing scene but it doesnt seem likely.
    Mr. F, I hope you can attain the position without suffering the severe hardship endured by the incumbent! Incidentally, have you been following the First Law comic?

[For those unaware, it's a free thingummyjig based on the First Law Trilogy, which is excellent, with new episodes out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at http://www.firstlawcomic.com/ ]
    Sean_F said:

In due course, I hope to be Arch Lector Fear.

Those Arches have got away with all sorts in the past. They need a good Lector.

• JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    Crystal Swing warmly welcomes Mullah O'Mar
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718

Just this minute got a flyer through my door for a prospective independent councillor standing for Redbridge Council next year - so he must be keen! His main policy plank is to campaign to keep our local A & E at King George's Hospital. His name is Andy Walker and he was a Labour Councillor until recently.

Here is his website as mentioned on the flyer:

http://www.savekinggeorgehospital.wordpress.com

He'd better be careful about what he says he's doing or he'll fall foul of the rules on election expenses.
    It would probably take Crystal Meth to chill the good Mullah out, JohnO. But then .. oh boy.
  • Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2013
    Sean_F said:

FPT, the wonders of the Single Market leave me cold. Where is the advantage in wishing to integrate with a part of the world whose share of world GDP and British exports is in irrevocable decline?

It's time to get out of the protectionist single market so that we can pursue a policy of free trade and migration.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Andy_JS said:

cool site
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    @Neil - According to Wiki, Mullers (as he is known to his mates) has one eye missing and "has been described as shy and non-talkative with foreigners". Poor sausage.

Introduce him to the gayers, give him a loving hug and I guarantee he'll be a man transformed.

Mr. F, I hope you can attain the position without suffering the severe hardship endured by the incumbent! Incidentally, have you been following the First Law comic?

[For those unaware, it's a free thingummyjig based on the First Law Trilogy, which is excellent, with new episodes out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at http://www.firstlawcomic.com/ ]

Ith etherer.

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited June 2013
    I want to take Mullah Omar to Poptastic.

Seriously, under the Taliban, no booze, no women, no pop music, no wonder they want to blow themselves up.

World peace could be achieved in Poptastic.

http://www.poptastic.co.uk/
    Practical Fear, I'm afraid I don't understand.
    On a more Nighthawks-ish note, I also got Depeche Mode's new single via the Amazon site today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-28iNQnwY
    edited June 2013
    Look away now Spurs fans.

The Times say AVB has a £10m release cause

PSG want AVB as boss

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jun/11/paris-st-germain-andre-villas-boas

Edit: Mail have the 10m release clause figure as well

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2339768/Andre-Villas-Boas-wanted-Paris-Saint-Germain-boss.html
    DavidL said:

Financier said:

Like Turkey, it's not a democracy. You need free and fair elections for that, and neither country has them.

Sean_F said:

It's time to get out of the protectionist single market so that we can pursue a policy of free trade and migration.
    I think it's a good idea to maintain access to the European market. It's of declining importance, but we can still get something out of it. What I object to is the bonkers idea that we should prize it above all the other markets in the world.
  • Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

That's the logical anti EU position.
    Sadly most of those wanting out of the EU would rather close the borders than accept Indian or Brazilian students and crap themselves at the thought of building a new airport in case some foreigners use it.

They might do better if they weren't so protectionist when it comes to people.

The logic of their position is to subsidise worklessness at home, and to prevent highly motivated aliens from working. It's madness. But no major political party is pro-immigration, and in fact their positions are all very similar in practice, so there is effectively no choice on the matter

edited June 2013
    Socrates said:

You need free and fair elections for that, and neither country has them.

The OSCE judged Turkey's election to be free and fair. What part of their assessment do you disagree with?
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

Sean_F said:

That's the logical anti EU position.
    Sadly most of those wanting out of the EU would rather close the borders than accept Indian or Brazilian students and crap themselves at the thought of building a new airport in case some foreigners use it.

They might do better if they weren't so protectionist when it comes to people.
    In my experience, most UKIPers don't have strong views about Indian and Brazilian undergraduates. Nor for that matter, Eastern European undergraduates, as long as they're genuine. It's the unskilled, homeless ones setting themselves up in Marble Arch and elsewhere that are the problem. Why do you think it's a good idea to let unlimited access to those migrants?
    edited June 2013
    @Sunil, I see them on Saturday!

*Them being DM
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Neil said:

This is not uncommon. In my ward we have two Independent councillors who could not get elected as Labour candidates, blamed the local party, and were expelled. They then stood successfully as Independents.
    Early 80s classic — Shakatak with Night Birds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq979a3SpzU
    Neil said:

Socrates said:

You need free and fair elections for that, and neither country has them.

The OSCE judged Turkey's election to be free and fair. What part of their assessment do you disagree with?
    I disagree that it's free and fair for the government to be able to disband political parties with policies that go against the constitution. I disagree that free elections can be held when dozens of journalists are in prison for advocating certain political arguments. I disagree that elections are fair when celebrations of certain ideologies, such as Republic Day, are banned.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Neil said:

Andy_JS said:

I wonder what Mullah Omar's doing these days?

You'd like to think he's chilled out a bit and developed a taste for the hardcore clubbing scene but it doesnt seem likely.
    May be he's indulging his inner greenie?

*Them being DM

TSE

Depeche were simply awesome a couple of weeks back at the O2, I'm sure they will be just as awesome in Paris!
    @Socrates

At least the days of the military rolling in and deposing democratically elected Governments seem to be in the past for now so lots of progress has been made.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Socrates said:

DavidL said:

Financier said:

Like Turkey, it's not a democracy. You need free and fair elections for that, and neither country has them.
    How are Turkey's elections not free and fair? This seems particularly weird when comparing to Russia's elections, which I would agree are not.

Tim down below put it well and succinctly. Turkey is a melting pot ethnically (mainly due to its position), and whilst many Arabs live there, they are not an Arabic culture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Turkey#Ethnic_groups

Off-topic: I'e just been having a rather interesting drink with an old mate. He's working on Big Data, and apparently every single person's genome is 13 Terrabytes of data (compressed, I think he said). Of this, only 2TB is really necessary, but the scientists like having the rest around just in case.

Just twenty years ago I was using 1.6 Megabyte 3.5" floppy discs.

The amount of data they are handling and storing on a daily basis is truly phenomenal, yet they manage it on a daily basis. If you put this guy in charge of any government IT project and ave him dictator powers, it would be delivered on time.

*Them being DM

TSE

Depeche were simply awesome a couple of weeks back at the O2, I'm sure they will be just as awesome in Paris!
    The only downside is that I have to spend 72 hours in France, surrounded by French people.
  • JJ: "Just twenty years ago I was using 1.6 Megabyte 3.5" floppy discs."

I wish I could remember the name of the movie in which a character held one up and said: "Why are they called floppy discs? They're not floppy and they're not discs."

JJ: "Just twenty years ago I was using 1.6 Megabyte 3.5" floppy discs."

I wish I could remember the name of the movie in which a character held one up and said: "Why are they called floppy discs? They're not floppy and they're not discs."

In my day, having a 3 and a half inch floppy was nothing to boast about.

The old 5 1/4 inch discs were quite floppy (I'm too young to have really used the 8" discs). They also blooming well hurt when thrown across the computing lab. We used to have competitions to see who could throw one the furthest and still get data off it. :-)

I have some BBC Domesday discs in the garage, which I am going to convert into mirrors for our house when I get around to it. Think really thick laserdiscs.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Financier said:

FPT

Just looked through the 300+ comments on CIF in response to the Guardian's analysis of the ICM poll. Could not find one comment in support of EdM, EdB and the rest of the shadow cabinet, but there is trough loads of criticism of Labour.

'twas ever thus - I like the Guardian reasonably well, but CIF readers have always been hostile to whoever the current Labour leadership are (you should have seen what they thought about Tony), in the same way and no doubt for similar purist reasons that Telegraph readers are hostile to any particular Tory leader.

Neil said:

@Socrates

At least the days of the military rolling in and deposing democratically elected Governments seem to be in the past for now so lots of progress has been made.

That's only because that undemocratic behaviour hurt the lot that are currently in power!

But yes, democracy usually comes about not because most people want it, but because it's the compromise that is left from each side trying to reduce the power of the other.

In my day, having a 3 and a half inch floppy was nothing to boast about.
    Length or girth?
    @JosiasJessop

I've already answered your question in a response to Neil.

*Them being DM

TSE

The only downside is that I have to spend 72 hours in France, surrounded by French people.
    Just reassure yourself that Depeche Mode is actually French for "Fashion Despatch" :)
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    I am currently on a short tour of hotels in central southern England. Last night was the Elephant in Pangbourne.(Reading West - Con). Rather eccentric hotel but superb food( rabbit and pistaccio terrine for starters). Tonight in the Carlton in Bournemouth(Con). Itwas the hotel of choice for Conservatives in the 60s and 70s for conferences. In the bar there are portraits of Macmillan, Home, and Heath but also Macleod next to Powell. There are also portraits of Eisenhower and Monygomery who used it as base in the preparations for D- Day. Ironically most of the guests were German tourists! Tomorrow Lyme Regis.
    edited June 2013
    While we're talking about Russia, I see the country has used Western precedents on criminalising "inciting religious hatred" to ban "insulting religious believers feelings".

http://en.ria.ru/crime/20130611/181617271.html

From London to Moscow, the Enlightenment seems to be in retreat. How depressing.
  • JJ: I began my (extremely short) programming career using data entry cards. They were the size of dollar bills because their American inventors couldn't think of anything better. The 8-inch floppy was manna from heaven.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    You speak of the IBM 5081 80 column punch card, the 029 key punch and the 059 verifier?

Memories....
    Cycling fans might appreciate this: How Lance Armstrong Ruined Everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snLWkqWLY1g
  • ***** BETTING POST *****

Daily Mail: "PSG want AVB Tottenham on alert as French champions plan raid for manager"

Stan James currently have AVB on offer at 9/2 against him NOT being Spurs' manager at the end of next season.

As ever, do your own research.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Re: floppy disks

I used to work with a Canadian chick who was always asking me if I had a "stiffy"!

She meant a 3.5in disk... (stiffy what they were called, logically, in North America, but never here for some odd reason!)
  • Canadian chick who was always asking me if I had a "stiffy"

Couldn't she take no for an answer, or perhaps you gave her one?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263

JJ: I began my (extremely short) programming career using data entry cards. They were the size of dollar bills because their American inventors couldn't think of anything better. The 8-inch floppy was manna from heaven.

Tchah! Punched cards! Modern nonsense. Paper tape was good enough for me, with little hole-punchers and sticky tape to correct coding errors.

I just read that Diane Abbott has an Oxbridge degree. That really surprises me. She doesn't come over as stupid, but she doesn't come over as particularly bright.
  • dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22861577

Greek state broadcaster shut down...

not a coup, just saving money, apparently

JJ: I began my (extremely short) programming career using data entry cards. They were the size of dollar bills because their American inventors couldn't think of anything better. The 8-inch floppy was manna from heaven.

Tchah! Punched cards! Modern nonsense. Paper tape was good enough for me, with little hole-punchers and sticky tape to correct coding errors.

liking this four yorkshire-geeks routine.

"we used do our data entry on granite wi our teeth"

"we used do our data entry on granite wi our teeth"

whic, come to think of it, might have been quicker than the ol zx81 keyboard i grew up with :)

• MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Is this the prelude to a firesale?

Is this the prelude to a firesale?
    who knows. can't feel great if you're greek.

i'd be shitting my pants if something like that happened to the BBC...
  • tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,545
    Just a note on Redbridge Labour, watch out for Wes Streeting, ex NUS president and highly ambitious who is group deputy (or acting?) leader. Clearly has his sights sets on parliament and one of the slimiest schmoozers I have ever met. A serious operator. Andy Walker is I believe the fourth Labour councillor to leave the group in the past couple of months, so trouble at t' mill for Wes.
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 11th June - CON 30%, LAB 38%, LD 9%, UKIP 16%; APP -33 - See more at: http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/06/12/update-labour-lead-8/#sthash.DHn5NKzu.dpuf
  • Re: Cards and paper programming etc

I have an IBM 129 card removal tool from my operator days in 1978.
This discussion has been closed.