Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Going for a 5-year fixed term might have been mistake

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited June 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Going for a 5-year fixed term might have been mistake

I’m not a big fan of fixed terms, but what stuck me at the start of the Coalition was how little debate there was about the length of fixed term that was being proposed. The majority of fixed term governments are run on a 4 year cycle, yet the Coalition were determined to lock in 5 years of government. This in itself will pose challenges for all parties.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    1?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 5m

"Seems to chop & change all the time: you can never be sure what it stands for" Con 24% Lab 27% LD 27% None 7% Don't know 15% #YouGov

Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 6m
    "Leaders are prepared to take tough & unpopular decisions" Con 43% Lab 11% LD 5% None 25% Don't Know 16%

Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 8m
    "Is led by people of real ability": Con 17% Lab 15% LD 4% None 45% Don't know 16% #YouGov

Politico Daily ‏@Politico_Daily 9m

"Kind of society it wants is broadly the kind of society I want": Con 27% Lab 27% LD 11 None 22% Don't Know 14% #YouGov

YouGov/Sun: Con 32% Lab 39% Lib Dem 10% UKIP 12% Green 2% SNP/PC 3% BNP 1% Respect 0% Other 1%: Govt approval rating -34
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    I expect there was politics behind the decision. Lots of bad press and tough choices in the first 3-4 years (which we have), and more green shoots and good news as time goes on, but 2015 enough will have happened for the public to make their judgement on the economy.

I prefer 4 years anyway...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,565
    edited June 2013
    Couldn't agree more that 5 year terms are too long.

Consider this — Australia will have held two general elections during this parliament.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    On the one hand we complain about politicians being short sighted and too focused on instant results but then we don't give them the time to prove their policies right.
  • Options
    O/T:

Cost of attempting to remove Abu Qatada since 2005: £1,716,306.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22909465
  • Options
    JamesKellyJamesKelly Posts: 1,348
    "Consider this — Australia will have held two general elections during this parliament in the UK."

Australia is the classic example that proves the sun doesn't fall out of the sky if voters have a regular chance to change the government - three year parliaments, and that's only the maximum.

Personally, I think the Chartists had it right - let's have general elections every May.
  • Options
    "Five years was always ridiculous and should be removed by any new govt."

Genuine question : has Labour proposed that?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Proof that governments running out of steam prefer five year terms is the fact that the 1979-1997 Conservative government held elections every four years for the first half of its time in office and then every five years for the second half, and the 1997-2010 Labour government held elections every four years for the first two and then waited five years for the final one.
  • Options

"Consider this — Australia will have held two general elections during this parliament in the UK."

Australia is the classic example that proves the sun doesn't fall out of the sky if voters have a regular chance to change the government - three year parliaments, and that's only the maximum.

Personally, I think the Chartists had it right - let's have general elections every May.

Problem with too often elections is that governments are always in campaign mode, and not in government mode.

Furthermore any large changes need time to bed in, just imagine if governments changed regularly and the structures of the NHS, or education etc changed every few years. Even taxation changes as well.

It might be a good idea to have mid-terms, or a series of staggered elections for half the house every 2 years....
  • Options
    There's not really any such thing as a fixed term parliament - they could repeal the Act and have the election early
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    The maximum length of parliaments prior to the fixed term change was 5 years, so it probably just came from that. I don't see why 5 years is any worse that any other length of parliament (within reason). It could be worse - it could be a US House of Representatives style 2 years - a brief pause in the campaigning for some pork-barrelling then back to campaign mode
  • Options
    @Slackbladder

The problem is governments have been changing the structure of the NHS almost constantly in recent years.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    They won't get much done in their last year anyhow, so with four years you're down to three years of actual meaningful stuff.

You don't want to go longer than five, but even that's a bit short to judge them on results. Most decisions have longer timescales.

A better solution is to stagger the MPs' elections, so each MP has five years but a different one is up for election every few days. That gets rid of the electoral cycle altogether, which is better because it produces bad incentives.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    tony ansell ‏@progambler47 34m

AMLA RUNS: Great maths on http://www.willhill.com website. Amla over 27.5 runs 1.85 or over 30 runs 1.8. You couldn't make it up!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

@Slackbladder

The problem is governments have been changing the structure of the NHS almost constantly in recent years.

Same as it ever was...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    One argument in favour of the longer time is that the Coalition parties will have to at least partially decouple months ahead of the next election, which isn't a consideration for majority governments.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    tim said:

"Five years was always ridiculous and should be removed by any new govt."

Genuine question : has Labour proposed that?

It's too soon in the parliament for that.
    http://www.badum-tish.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    "the Coalition parties will have to at least partially decouple months ahead of the next election, which isn't a consideration for majority governments."

Tell that to John Major.
  • Options
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104
    Labour activist wants election sooner than later shocker.

Lame article. I dont remember Henry calling for an early election in 2009-2010.

Fact is that governments are already blighted with short-termism, and 4-year terms make that worse. I consider a 5-year term the shortest I'd like, and I'd be happy with a 6-year term too, lest we fall behind the benefits that China gets from not having to indulge in short-term populism every couple of years..
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,955
    Andy_JS said:

Consider this — Australia will have held two general elections during this parliament.

Doesn't Australia have insanely short (two years?) electoral cycles?

I think the issue with short-terms is that they mean that governments are unwilling to take unpopular measures that take time to have positive effects, as it will be their successors that benefit.

The issue with long-terms is that they (potentially) reduce democratic legitimacy, especially if a government has endured constant by-election losses.

Of course, we could make things really fun by having one fifth of the HoC elected every year. This would have the distinct advantages of (a) more betting events; (b) the ability to bring governments down; and (c) greater independence from the party machine for MPs, especially early in the electoral cycle.

It would also probably result in parties like UKIP being able to build up their support over time, which would be good for both them, and the country as a whole.
  • Options
    "I consider a 5-year term the shortest I'd like, and I'd be happy with a 6-year term too, lest we fall behind the benefits that China gets from not having to indulge in short-term populism every couple of years."

In that case, let's stop mucking about and just have a one-party state. That's what we fought the war for.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I don't buy the argument that short electoral cycles are bad for government because as others have said Australia doesn't seem to have too many problems with it.
  • Options
    MBoy said:

Fact is that governments are already blighted with short-termism, and 4-year terms make that worse. I consider a 5-year term the shortest I'd like, and I'd be happy with a 6-year term too, lest we fall behind the benefits that China gets from not having to indulge in short-term populism every couple of years..

Bingo - if Labour want to call the electoral timetable - win a GE and get your man as PM.

However they will need to ditch rEd to do that.

• Options
    "Bingo - if Labour want to call the electoral timetable - win a GE and get your man as PM."

That only works if a general election ever comes round. Oh well, I suppose even the Soviet Union only lasted 74 years.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Just catching up with this morning's YouGov - UKIP at 12%. So in the last few days we have:

- UKIP at 12% with YouGov two days running
    - UKIP at 12% with ICM
    - UKIP at 12% with MORI

Really now looking as if UKIP is starting to settle back a bit.

Is there actually a chance that UKIP may do a bit worse than expected in Euros? Could it be UKIP novelty factor will start to wear off - people "tried them", got a bit bored, and went back to the traditional parties?

ie Has UKIP peaked too early?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    MBoy said:

We have governments that panic at the sight of a bad opinion poll or two - it's not the election cycle that drives short-termism, but the media narrative.

If we had annual Parliaments both the electorate and the politicians would have to have a more honest discussion about the state of the country and what to do about it. Manifestos would be shorter and more focussed, with only the legislation and tax changes to be introduced in that one session of Parliament. The voters would be forced to make the grown-up decision to keep on supporting a government through hard times if they thought that was best.

I think if I had to choose between the two I think moving to Annual Parliaments would have more of a beneficial effect than changing the voting system away from FPTP.

Five years is quite common though, including countries such as France, Austria, Canada, Ireland, Italy and North Korea.
  • Options
    "Is there actually a chance that UKIP may do a bit worse than expected in Euros?"

I don't know if anyone is qualified to do it, but one article I'd like to see on PB is an attempted Europe-wide prediction of the European parliament elections, based on current trends in each individual country.

The UKIP-Labour battle in the UK could be critical if the arithmetic is tight.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited June 2013
    Some clever puntah [sic] once suggested that "'Cameron' next out of the cabinet" was a good bet (@ 150/1). How many also fell into the 'Leveson' by 2013-02-01 [Oracle dates] spannerisms...?

Think before betting: Judge carefully. And then worry about cats, dogs and useless Brummies master-debating from Scouseland....

:HIC!:
  • Options
    Amendments for Committee stage of Gay Marriage Bill have been published.

The loons are still battling away. Amendment 1:

"Page 1, line 5, leave out “Marriage” and insert “Union”"

They are just making fools of themselves.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/lbill/2013-2014/0029/amend/ml029-i.htm

• Options
    Alyn Smith MEP ‏@AlynSmithMEP
    Man: "You should be ashamed" Alyn: "Might I ask why?" Man: "Sorry mate I just saw the rosette and thought you were a LibDem" How we laughed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    I see no reason why 4 is definitively better than 5. In fact, 5 was the only number that was reasonable, as previous government's were able to go up to 5 years before calling an election, so to go with 4 would be to artificially shorten it for the sake of alignment with other election cycles - which is not important enough in my view to warrant curtailing the limit - or for political convenience, which is no reason at all (going with 5 was also politically convenient for Cameron, but it was not the sole reason, and the other reasons are convincing enough on their own to warrant it)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I think the issue with short-terms is that they mean that governments are unwilling to take unpopular measures that take time to have positive effects, as it will be their successors that benefit.
    I'm quite uncomfortable with the idea that one has to have a large gap between elections so that the elite can do things that the population does not like in the hope that the fuss will have died down by the time of the next election. You may as well do away with elections altogether and have the Queen appoint a bunch of technocrats and loyal Lords to run the country in our best interests.

I tend to think that if an election was always less than a year away that the Opposition would have to be a bit more mature about their opposition, because they would be that much closer to being in charge and having to sort out the mess themselves. Would we really have had to endure the last three years of pointless anti-cuts posturing from Ed Balls if there had been Annual Parliaments?
  • Options
    "In fact, 5 was the only number that was reasonable, as previous government's were able to go up to 5 years before calling an election, so to go with 4 would be to artificially shorten it"

Not really. It would have been taking a rough average of previous parliaments, most of which did not go the full five years.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

"In fact, 5 was the only number that was reasonable, as previous government's were able to go up to 5 years before calling an election, so to go with 4 would be to artificially shorten it"

Not really. It would have been taking a rough average of previous parliaments, most of which did not go the full five years.

Most did not, and the average of 4 is correct, but the rule was they had the opportunity to go to five. Therefore to limit to 4 would be a decrease which was not justified as there was nothing wrong with 5, people just preferred to go with 4, which is not in itself a strong enough reason to change the established rule of up to 5 in my opinion.
  • Options
    "Maria Miller, the culture secretary, has settled her department's spending cut with the Treasury at 8% – with English arts and museums expected to receive a cut of around 5%."

Very disappointing. Should have been cut much, much deeper.

Plus should have reopened BBC Licence Fee settlement. Licence Fee settlement done in 2011 for period up to 2017 so BBC is not taking any share of additional cuts now being made.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/jun/14/department-culture-spending-cut
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Personally I think 4 years would have been better than 5.

Is it true that the fixed-term act could be repealed by a simple majority and is therefore not worth all that much?
  • Options
    "which is not in itself a strong enough reason to change the established rule of up to 5 in my opinion"

But the established rule was changed - it's no longer "up to" 5.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

"which is not in itself a strong enough reason to change the established rule of up to 5 in my opinion"

But the established rule was changed - it's no longer "up to" 5.

Changed, yes, but not in a way which imposes a restriction on the limit that was previously established. It's a question of limiting a parliament to 4 when previously they could have gone to five. As there is provision to hold an earlier election if 5 for whatever reason becomes unviable, the current rule is not limiting a government's options unduly, whereas to go to 4 would without a further law change.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Is it true that the fixed-term act could be repealed by a simple majority and is therefore not worth all that much?

Repealing an Act of Parliament to call a snap election is a trifle more difficult than making an appointment to see the Queen, but, yes, it's not worth much - except now, of course, when no single party has a majority. It makes it a bit harder for either Cameron, Clegg, or their respective backbenchers, to pull the plug on the Coalition for a snap election.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think if Labour get in, as I suspect, they'll decide it is not a priority to change, and secretly they would also like.
  • Options
    To be honest, I think the weakest argument of all is "it's based on Westminster tradition, so it must be good".
  • Options
    edited June 2013

To be honest, I think the weakest argument of all is "it's based on Westminster tradition, so it must be good".

I'm not saying it is good purely for that reason - if a tradition is actively harmful, then of course it should be changed - more that there's no reason to change tradition unless in doing so there is an improvement.

It is yet to be seen if moving to fixed parliaments will be an improvement, but several arguments to that effect were made - stability, taking away a PM's power to dictate when an election would be to their own advantage etc - whereas reducing to 4 lacks compelling reasons as to why it would have been better than the tradition.

It is for those making a suggestion of change to make the strongest argument for that change, as opposed to those advocating the status quo - which as a Scottish Nationalist I am sure you are well aware of, and is a big part of the reason the Nats have the more compelling argument and momentum - so it's not a question of whether the argument for keeping the upper limit of 5 is weak or not, but whether the decision to change it is strong enough.

Arguing nothing ever should be changed because of tradition would indeed be wrong, but that is not what anyone has said as far as I can tell, and arguing that because something is tradition so it must be changed would be equally absurd. Those are not the arguments being made - just that in the absence of good reasons why make a change?

The argument is not about tradition, but how good the proposed reasons are, that's all.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    tim said:

@Jonathan

The five years was set because Osborne told the gullible group around the table that he'd clear the deficit it the fifth year.
    He's not known for his economic nous and political Master Strategy for nothing you know.

That was indeed the principal reason, in addition to ensuring as much as possible they would have the maximum time to create some achievements to fight the next election on, without as much danger of the LDs pulling theplug, but they at least made arguments as to why it was a good idea outside of that which had some genuine weight. Going with 4 simply because most cycles are that way (which is not an indication of what length of term is best at all) or because it has some political benefits as in the thread header, are not worth much weight.

Given the craphole we are currently in with the Coalition, it's probably one of the few things I cannot fault them on at the moment, although they'll find a way I'm sure.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,925
    The five year limit will stay until a government decides that going to the electorate after four years will suit it better.
  • Options

The five year limit will stay until a government decides that going to the electorate after four years will suit it better.

With all other elections operating a four year cycle there is certainly an argument for neatness.

A 2020 election would be on the same day as the London Mayor and the National general elections unless they are moved again/back. It's a mess.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

With all other elections operating a four year cycle there is certainly an argument for neatness.

A 2020 election would be on the same day as the London Mayor and the National general elections unless they are moved again/back. It's a mess.

A concern, certainly, but so distressing that it simply cannot be allowed to stand?

What about elections being on Thursdays? Any research to indicate other days would be better, as that's another area that we could look at I think. Again, no reason to change convention if no benefit, but worth looking at.
  • Options
    Good for him

Nick Clegg has rejected calls from three former home secretaries to revive plans for more data monitoring powers, after the murder of Drummer Lee Rigby.

The deputy PM warned the cross-party group against "knee jerk" reactions to difficult events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22910482
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Since the last general election 13 comedians have appeared on Question Time, and Russell Brand will make it 14 next week. The ubiquitous Nigel Farage, leader of a protest party with zero MPs and a manifesto comprised entirely of bits of old Jeremy Clarkson jokes, has been on 8 times. The 'dragons' of Dragon's Den have appeared 4 times between them. Scientists have appeared just twice. Katie Hopkins from The Apprentice has been on as many times as all scientists or science writers put together...

Question Time is, in short, a pretty miserable failure when it comes to informed debate. The bulk of panellists are drawn from the same upper-middle-class, upper-middle-aged pot of journalists, lawyers and politicians, and are often profoundly ignorant on topics outside of that narrow culture. Science, sex, the internet... attempts to tackle anything outside their world result in bewildering exchanges that confuse more often than they inform. It was Question Time that taught me I should be careful when doing my work on the Facebook.

A great example of this occurred in last night's show, which addressed the mysterious topic of Scottish independence by pitching a single advocate against an array of opponents that included George Galloway, and noted Scottish politician Nigel Farage. Parties that actually have elected representatives in Scotland were bizarrely excluded. David Dimbleby mounted a tetchy defence of the policy, but his argument that it didn't matter because the audience were "split fifty-fifty" on the issue only dug him deeper into a hole. The obvious retort: if it's so important for Question Time's audience to be balanced, why not also the panel?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2013/jun/14/bbc-question-time
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    It is a reasonable debate whether a 4 or 5 year term is better , I can see the arguments on both sides . Perhaps the clinching factor is with 4 years we could have got rid of Brown a year earlier in 2009 and the Labour defeat would have been much worse in May 2009 .
  • Options
    Yesterday Mr T wrote that we shouldn't get involved in Syria under any circumstances. Looks like his advice has been royally ignored today by Obama and Cameron.
  • Options

Since the last general election 13 comedians have appeared on Question Time, and Russell Brand will make it 14 next week. The ubiquitous Nigel Farage, leader of a protest party with zero MPs and a manifesto comprised entirely of bits of old Jeremy Clarkson jokes, has been on 8 times. The 'dragons' of Dragon's Den have appeared 4 times between them. Scientists have appeared just twice. Katie Hopkins from The Apprentice has been on as many times as all scientists or science writers put together...

Question Time is, in short, a pretty miserable failure when it comes to informed debate. The bulk of panellists are drawn from the same upper-middle-class, upper-middle-aged pot of journalists, lawyers and politicians, and are often profoundly ignorant on topics outside of that narrow culture. Science, sex, the internet... attempts to tackle anything outside their world result in bewildering exchanges that confuse more often than they inform. It was Question Time that taught me I should be careful when doing my work on the Facebook.

A great example of this occurred in last night's show, which addressed the mysterious topic of Scottish independence by pitching a single advocate against an array of opponents that included George Galloway, and noted Scottish politician Nigel Farage. Parties that actually have elected representatives in Scotland were bizarrely excluded. David Dimbleby mounted a tetchy defence of the policy, but his argument that it didn't matter because the audience were "split fifty-fifty" on the issue only dug him deeper into a hole. The obvious retort: if it's so important for Question Time's audience to be balanced, why not also the panel?

http://m.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2013/jun/14/bbc-question-time

My kneejerk reaction is to dismiss, well, kneejerk complaints about QT panels, but that actually does seem pretty off.

• Options

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-lay-scientist/2013/jun/14/bbc-question-time

Farage may as well not have been there anyway as he barely spoke.

But I reckon in the run up to the Independence referendum there will be a QT special with an evenly balanced panel.. what price do you want to bet at?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    I think Henry's right - the issue isn't whether it's 4 or 5 years, but that it's made deliberately difficult to change in the light of circumstances. That is undesirable in the present situation, where the coalition partners are too keen on differentiation to agree on anything significant, and the opposition feel they've got a couple of years to decide what we want to do, so let's watch the footie instead. I exaggerate slightly in both cases, but the sense of killing time on all sides is unmistakable.

It's probably peculiar to coalitions or deeply divided parties - if the government had a clear sense of direction, they could get on with it. But they don't.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

A concern, certainly, but so distressing that it simply cannot be allowed to stand?

What about elections being on Thursdays? Any research to indicate other days would be better, as that's another area that we could look at I think. Again, no reason to change convention if no benefit, but worth looking at.
    Personally I think GE polling day should be a bank holiday. We're missing a day where we celebrate the vote. And half the schools are closed anyway.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Yesterday Mr T wrote that we shouldn't get involved in Syria under any circumstances. Looks like his advice has been royally ignored today by Obama and Cameron.

It seems a bit late to make an appreciable good difference to the situation, if that was ever viable at all - it's not like they'll get much credit from the population now if Assad is actually defeated at some point, given how long they've been left to their own devices (barring more covert/non-lethal support)
  • Options
    "But I reckon in the run up to the Independence referendum there will be a QT special with an evenly balanced panel.. what price do you want to bet at?"

I must have at least four ongoing bets with PBers on various aspects of the referendum, so I think that's probably enough to be getting on with. But for what it's worth, I wouldn't be at all surprised if no such special occurs. There will certainly be balanced debates produced by the BBC, but the Question Time production team just seem congenitally incapable of "getting it".
  • Options

"But I reckon in the run up to the Independence referendum there will be a QT special with an evenly balanced panel.. what price do you want to bet at?"

I must have at least four ongoing bets with PBers on various aspects of the referendum, so I think that's probably enough to be getting on with. But for what it's worth, I wouldn't be at all surprised if no such special occurs. There will certainly be balanced debates produced by the BBC, but the Question Time production team just seem congenitally incapable of "getting it".

OK no problem.

Well there obviously should be, personally I would be amazed if there wasn't.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

I think Henry's right - the issue isn't whether it's 4 or 5 years, but that it's made deliberately difficult to change in the light of circumstances. That is undesirable in the present situation, where the coalition partners are too keen on differentiation to agree on anything significant, and the opposition feel they've got a couple of years to decide what we want to do, so let's watch the footie instead. I exaggerate slightly in both cases, but the sense of killing time on all sides is unmistakable.

It's probably peculiar to coalitions or deeply divided parties - if the government had a clear sense of direction, they could get on with it. But they don't.

The whole idea of making fixed terms difficult to change is because of the definition of the phrase "Fixed Term " . There is no mechanism in the US for example to change the fixed term of 4 years for a President's term of office because of the light of circumstances 3 years in .
    As previously stated I marginally prefer a 4 year to a 5 year fixed term . You would have lost Broxtowe a year earlier and by a much larger margin in May 2009 .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    I am not a fan of fixed Parliaments and did not see any benefit in the Act. Picking up OblitussumMe's point I think it has given Labour the opportunity to complain about everything and do nothing for 3 years so far on the basis that what is the point of setting out policy this far from the election?

If we had had the traditional uncertainty they might have had to act like grown ups at an earlier stage. Since they are probably not capable of that the 5 year term has simply hidden their deficiencies. Strange tactics.

It is of course highly influenced by the desperate hanging on but the pattern also shows 4 year governments getting re-elected and 5 year one's not. This may not be completely down to the desperation factor. Are people minded to say after 5 years that you have had your turn but after 4 are more amenable to the "job not yet finished" argument?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    MikeL said:

Just catching up with this morning's YouGov - UKIP at 12%. So in the last few days we have:

- UKIP at 12% with YouGov two days running
    - UKIP at 12% with ICM
    - UKIP at 12% with MORI

Really now looking as if UKIP is starting to settle back a bit.

Is there actually a chance that UKIP may do a bit worse than expected in Euros? Could it be UKIP novelty factor will start to wear off - people "tried them", got a bit bored, and went back to the traditional parties?

ie Has UKIP peaked too early?

To all your questions: No!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Lets face it - after the last Labour government and their mad leader - 71% of the voters were overjoyed to have 5 years free of Labour misrule.

After Brown if there had been a snap referendum whether to make it 10 years it would probably have romped through.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited June 2013
    I put £20 EW on Ernie Els @ 50/1 for the US Open. Probably just thrown away £40. Ah well!
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    I'm not sure Henry's right on this. With a four-year term, the government has hardly any time before the next election campaign starts. People moan all the time that governments don't take a long-term view; it's hard to see how four-year terms would encourage them to do so.
  • Options
    I see there seems to be a co-ordinated cybernat attack on Andrew Neil - pathetic stuff.....

• Options
    edited June 2013

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    edited June 2013
    Here we go again: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/libor-scandal/10121119/RBS-dealt-fresh-blow-by-Singaporean-regulator.html

RBS penalised yet again for trying to fix lending rates and exchange rates. Looks very like LIBOR. Not that there wasn't a culture in that bank that it wasn't important to preserve you understand.

This was Japan earlier this week: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/libor-scandal/9989252/Head-of-RBS-Securities-in-Japan-resigns-over-yen-Libor-manipulation.html
    Same thing

And of course they also had a settlement with the UK/US at a cost of £390m in February: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/libor-scandal/9853939/RBS-fined-390m-for-rigging-rates-for-profit.html

Hester sure sorted them out.

Edit. And according to Taibbi currencies are next: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/taibblog/everything-is-rigged-vol-9-713-this-time-its-currencies-20130613

What are the chances of RBS being clean in that one? At what point do we just stop believing the rotten apple excuses?
  • Options

I'm not sure Henry's right on this. With a four-year term, the government has hardly any time before the next election campaign starts. People moan all the time that governments don't take a long-term view; it's hard to see how four-year terms would encourage them to do so.

Slightly OTT I think Richard. Every govt that has gone on for five years has definitely had a feeling of hanging around at the end. The coalition started to smell a bit musty quite early.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,339
    Personally I think this is one the coalition got wrong, as political advantage and necessity trumped any proper deliberation about what is best constitutionally. Not a particularly harsh criticism as politicans are hardly going to change things to disadvantage themselves.

Basically it had to be there to remove the electoral nuclear button from Nick Clegg (and his party) and be five years due to Osborne's hopelessly optimistic pledge to eliminate the deficit in one parliament.

If we have to have fixed term parliaments, better four years rather than five as it's correct that governments only tend to go the full five when there's a change of PM and/or they're desperate. It was as I understood it a "maximum".

Better by far I think to have four, with an elected Lords which has a third of its seats up every two years. With this:

-Governments would be better held to account as the electorate could vote in a bunch of people to stop them if they were really hateful/crap.

-Renegade political movements would get the chance to make their mark (step forward Mr Farage).

-Opposition would be a far more urgent exercise as there'd actually be a chance of making a difference to policy other than just hoping to embarrass ministers into U-turns.

As it is five years with no serious electoral challenge to a government is far too long.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited June 2013
    OT Just watched Iron Man 3 - what a crock. I can't get over what a poor plotless/badly scripted mess it was. That was 2hrs that felt like 4.

IM 1 & 2 were great, humour and action packed - this one was a definitely a franchise filler. I hope Man of Steel is a lot better - it'd be hard to be worse.

*turns on The Avengers to perk me back up*
  • Options
    "I see there seems to be a co-ordinated cybernat attack on Andrew Neil"

Don't be so ridiculous.
  • Options
    If we introduce US and UK weapons into the Syrian situation and then they get into the wrong hands it'll be difficult to avoid getting dragged further into the conflict with the possibility of having to put boots on the ground.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    One thing's for sure - Tony Blair never took Wendi on a Number 74 bus.

http://goo.gl/RFcTW
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Plato said:

OT Just watched Iron Man 3 - what a crock. I can't get over what a poor plotless/badly scripted mess it was. That was 2hrs that felt like 4.

IM 1 & 2 were great, humour and action packed - this one was a definitely a franchise filler. I hope Man of Steel is a lot better - it'd be hard to be worse.

I am stunned that IM3 has received such decent reviews - the Downey Jr is awesome factor I suspect, even though IM2 also had him and is revilled (it was not anywhere as good as IM1, but not that bad).

Reminds me of Prometheus, which was a really gorgeous movie with a godawful script, and gets loads of flack for that. IM3 was not as badly written as Prometheus - there weren't moments where I could visibly see where lines/scenes had been cut from the script, and I at least knew what everyone was doing and why, and liked several characters - but it was unsettlingly poorly written, despite some good funny lines.

And who thought a giving prominent role on a precocious child was a good idea? When has that ever been a good idea?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    We should stay well out of Syria. There are no good guys. Just because Assad is a bastard doesn't mean that his opponents aren't also bastards, indeed may be even worse, given the chance.

The idea that we can control who our arms go to is fatuous and dangerous nonsense.

Cameron and Hollande are behaving as if Sykes and Picot were still alive and it's for the French and English to determine what happens in the world. Utter madness.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited June 2013
    Jonathan said:

Every govt that has gone on for five years has definitely had a feeling of hanging around at the end. The coalition started to smell a bit musty quite early.

But without fixed terms the dynamics are different - of course governments which could do so with a hope of winning opportunistically called elections. So you first point is a non-sequitur - the sample is heavily skewed.

The second is just plain wrong. They've done most of the necessary legislation, and they're now bedding-in the implementation.
  • Options
    "Why Ed Miliband is going to be the next Prime Minister
    Do the maths. It will be quite hard for Labour not to be the largest party after the next election, says Stefan Stern."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10120746/Why-Ed-Miliband-is-going-to-be-the-next-Prime-Minister.html?placement=mid3
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

I thought your man Angus was crap last night. The journalist lady made a better case for Independence that him. I think Salmond is a top politician and Nicola Sturgeon comes across well but you are a bit bare after that.

He came over last night as weedy, wussy, guilty, unwilling to be brutally honest. I would've thought most Scots would prefer a politician with more gusto. The only time he perked up was when he did his Farage-was-right-to-be-run-out-of-Scotland schtick. He was crap.

And that imbecile in the front row who reckons Scots get bullied south of the border probably lost you a few thousand votes. Must've been a BBC plant.

• Options
    My guess is that they looked very hard at what they thought was going to happen to the economy before deciding to go for five rather than four years and concluded that their best chance was to leave it as long as possible.

I also think that if they hadn't gone for the fixed term they would be facing stories about possible imminent General Elections every week and governing would be a nightmare as a result. (I'm not suggesting it's a dream now!)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cameron and Hollande are behaving as if Sykes and Picot were still alive and it's for the French and English to determine what happens in the world.

I don't think that's true, in fact the handwringing over whether to do anything and how much should or can be done for years I think demonstrates the acceptance that what can be done is much more limited, and what should be done is much more constricted that once. But that doesn't mean we cannot sometimes do things, and the rule in international relations is surely if you think you can do something, you do. It may not be right to do so, but just because they think they might be able to, sort of, in certain situations does not signify such a mindset, which is proposed as being the case anytime interferring in another nation is raised, and is just a cheap retort parroted out each time. If they thought as you suggest, they'd be doing a hell of a lot more all over the world.

In this case any good that might have been possible seems like it would have had to come much earlier than this, if it would ever work.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Why Ed Miliband is going to be the next Prime Minister
    Do the maths. It will be quite hard for Labour not to be the largest party after the next election, says Stefan Stern."
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10120746/Why-Ed-Miliband-is-going-to-be-the-next-Prime-Minister.html?placement=mid3"He threatens to be a quietly radical prime minister, and some people are a bit nervous about that."

Not with a toerag/millstone like Ed Balls hanging around his neck he won't be.
  • Options
    "I thought your man Angus was crap last night. The journalist lady made a better case for Independence that him."

Didn't really see it (only the last 20 minutes or so), but Robertson is an excellent debater so I doubt if he was "crap". The general opinion on the nationalist blogosphere is that he defended the case well, but that Riddoch was even better. It's not surprising that someone who has only recently become converted to Yes would make a more powerful advocate.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    kle4 said:

Reminds me of Prometheus, which was a really gorgeous movie with a godawful script, and gets loads of flack for that.

The trick, kle4, is not minding that it hurts.

• Options

kle4 said:

Reminds me of Prometheus, which was a really gorgeous movie with a godawful script, and gets loads of flack for that.

The trick, kle4, is not minding that it hurts.

You are wise indeed, sir.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    POEWAS.

Essex bowled out for 20 by Lancs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/22898705
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

"I thought your man Angus was crap last night. The journalist lady made a better case for Independence that him."

Didn't really see it (only the last 20 minutes or so), but Robertson is an excellent debater so I doubt if he was "crap". The general opinion on the nationalist blogosphere is that he defended the case well, but that Riddoch was even better. It's not surprising that someone who has only recently become converted to Yes would make a more powerful advocate.

He was over the same side as Galloway who - to be fair, despite his polemics - is a thoroughbred when it comes to galvanising the audience.

Robertson looked meek and safe by contrast. If you want independence and this is the big, big opportunity to get it, you need to be more inspiring that he was. You should've stuck Salmond on there.

• Options
    "Robertson looked meek and safe by contrast. If you want independence and this is the big, big opportunity to get it, you need to be more inspiring that he was."

I don't think you're the target market, Fenster.

Galloway's stance baffles me. He stood shoulder to shoulder with Alex Salmond after the national calamity of 1992 in a way that no other Labour MP (except John McAllion) was prepared to do.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited June 2013
    kle4 said:

Plato said:

I am stunned that IM3 has received such decent reviews - the Downey Jr is awesome factor I suspect, even though IM2 also had him and is revilled (it was not anywhere as good as IM1, but not that bad).

Reminds me of Prometheus, which was a really gorgeous movie with a godawful script, and gets loads of flack for that. IM3 was not as badly written as Prometheus - there weren't moments where I could visibly see where lines/scenes had been cut from the script, and I at least knew what everyone was doing and why, and liked several characters - but it was unsettlingly poorly written, despite some good funny lines.

And who thought a giving prominent role on a precocious child was a good idea? When has that ever been a good idea?
    I never got the hate some have for IM2 - I liked it well enough. The child scenes NOOOOOOO!! I hate movies that do that - they're almost always terrible and this was no exception. And where was Iron Man in IM3? Someone described it on IMDb as a porn film without any porn which made me LOL.

Speaking of laughs and Man of Steel - some superb shots of Superman c1948 - they're brilliant http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-207_162-10017195-8.html

I still can't get Inception - I'll try again later but it feels like hard work.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

He was over the same side as Galloway who - to be fair, despite his polemics - is a thoroughbred when it comes to galvanising the audience.

Robertson looked meek and safe by contrast. If you want independence and this is the big, big opportunity to get it, you need to be more inspiring that he was. You should've stuck Salmond on there.

Galloway stole the show, the rest were nowhere

You could tell the audience were in awe of him

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited June 2013
    Off-topic:

My bestest mate - well, the only Scottish Regimental Boxing Champion I know - has posted this letter at News-Shopper, Lewisham:
    Build a memorial for Drummer Lee Rigby

10:02am Wednesday 12th June 2013 in Opinion

Letter to the editor: I believe Drummer Lee Rigby should have a memorial plaque erected in his memory as this lad was a true hero indeed who died doing a job he believed in ensuring the security of his country.

People like Drummer Lee Rigby should never be forgotten and the people of the UK should recognise this.

NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED
    [Src.: http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/opinion/10478375.Build_a_memorial_for_Drummer_Lee_Rigby/ ]

I am still offering to have a pint with Wee-Timmy, MODERATED who thinks otherwise; just off Hither Green Lane....
  • Options
    Plato said:

kle4 said:

Plato said:

I never got the hate some have for IM2 - I liked it well enough. The child scenes NOOOOOOO!! I hate movies that do that - they're almost always terrible and this was no exception. And where was Iron Man in IM3? Someone described it on IMDb as a porn film without any porn which made me LOL.

Speaking of laughs and Man of Steel - some superb shots of Superman c1948 - they're brilliant http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-207_162-10017195-8.html

I think my cat is getting bullied by Magpies! Is this unusual?
  • Options
    Plato said:

kle4 said:

Plato said:

Inception is one of my favourite movies! I just watched it on DVD a few nights ago. In fact I've watched it so many times, I know the script off by heart now, natch :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

We should stay well out of Syria. There are no good guys. Just because Assad is a bastard doesn't mean that his opponents aren't also bastards, indeed may be even worse, given the chance.

The idea that we can control who our arms go to is fatuous and dangerous nonsense.

Cameron and Hollande are behaving as if Sykes and Picot were still alive and it's for the French and English to determine what happens in the world. Utter madness.

Unfortunately it seems it's the Americans who'll be the first to send arms to the Jihadists.
  • Options
    isam said:

Fenster said:

Galloway stole the show, the rest were nowhere

You could tell the audience were in awe of him

Regarding the Union, Galloway sounded more like Dr. Paisley last night :)
  • Options
    "Regarding the Union, Galloway sounded more like Dr. Paisley last night :)"

At least Rev Ian Paisley was still a Northern Ireland representative when he declared "Ulster Says No".
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    edited June 2013
    As has already been noted, the five years term is because that is the maximum term for a Parliament. If you want less, amend the Septennial Act. Personally I think the Government shouldn't be able to call a an election for petty advantage.

If the government is "hanging around", well it think it's great if they don't want to pass legislation every ten minutes. My not just do some management stuff? Alternatively, if there isn't much of a legislative programme, maybe it's time for parliament to take charge of its own time and allow more backbenchers, or the opposition, or the coalition parties, to be able to propose legislation. That's what legislators are supposed to do.

Or maybe with 2 years left they have time to fix the West Lothian Question, or have a constitutional convention.

Henry said "From a democratic view I dislike the idea of having to wait longer to throw out a government of any colour." Fair enough then, as a Leveller I would be quite happy with annual elections.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Interesting facts:

On 2nd May 18.4 million people were eligible to vote and, of the 5.7 million who did, 48.2% voted either Conservative or Liberal Democrat.
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104

If we had annual Parliaments both the electorate and the politicians would have to have a more honest discussion about the state of the country and what to do about it. Manifestos would be shorter and more focussed, with only the legislation and tax changes to be introduced in that one session of Parliament. The voters would be forced to make the grown-up decision to keep on supporting a government through hard times if they thought that was best.

You've obviously never lived under a Council that has annual elections (by 1/3s) then...
This discussion has been closed.