Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

If you’ve always been a lurker, why not Take That opportunity which Nighthawks gives you to delurk. It Only Takes A Minute to post, Never Forget, we were all lurkers once.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    New Nielsen poll Australia - GhostWhoVotes tweets that the latest Nielsen poll, conducted for Fairfax from a sample of 1400, has the Coalition’s lead blowing out to 57-43 after a relatively mild 54-46 last month. The primary votes are 29% for Labor (down three) and 47% for the Coalition (up three). That becomes 50-50 under a Kevin Rudd leadership scenario, with primary votes of 40% for Labor and 42% for the Coalition. The poll also finds Julia Gillard crashing on preferred prime minister from 46-46 to 50-41 in Tony Abbott’s favour.

On the Green Agenda, considering that comres poll gave it 28% favourable and 23% unfavourable would not seem to have too much momentum

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2
    Metropolitan Railway steam engine No.1 was on the Epping Ongar Railway today! Will also be there next two weekends. Dates from 1898!
    https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/346354301091844096/photo/1
    edited June 2013
    Disraeli's secret love child? - http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/People/article1274582.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2013_06_16

Finally, OT, went to a great concert by Bruce Springsteen at Wembley last night, well worth catching while he is still going if you ever get the chance
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I shyly Pray that some regular posters stop baiting other regular posters and instead turn Back For Good.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    FPT re: Freggles' Guardian story

I can just about see the public interest defence for the snooping on emails.

Revealing that GCHQ spys on our allies (which I had assumed anyway), and exactly how they did so, seems a little off.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Enormously unsurprising that we spy on other countries. It'd be amazing if they didn't do the same to us.
  • CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Might be a chill in the air at the summit...

https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/346362464088236033/photo/1
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Dacre seems to be going for the people's PM Tony Blair's throat these days.
    Blair's dirty money: As his tentacles reach Mongolia, how the ex-PM is making millions from some of the world's most evil regimes

Tony Blair is to advise Mongolian leaders on 'good governance'

The former Prime Minister won't say how much he is earning from the deal

Mr Blair is said to be worth between £60million and £80million

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2342032/Blairs-dirty-money-As-tentacles-reach-Mongolia-ex-PM-making-millions-worlds-evil-regimes.html
    This on top of his helpful front page story from the other day.

I wonder why? ;)

'It would be madness to arm the rebels in what has become a brutal religious war, says Boris Johnson'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/10123938/Weve-left-it-too-late-to-save-Syria-this-conflict-can-never-be-won.html
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Enormously unsurprising that we spy on other countries. It'd be amazing if they didn't do the same to us.

And yet, now they can prove it.

Probably won't change anything but it is a good story.
    antifrank said:

I shyly Pray that some regular posters stop baiting other regular posters and instead turn Back For Good.

Don't relight their ire.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    @antifrank @sunil

Depeche Mode were rather awesome last night.

I've given up on them ever performing Master and Servant live for me though.
    Boris, Farage and others are right. We'd be nuts to get involved in that way.

It's mildly amusing that the leaker (who I think has some merit for the extensive scale of the surveillance he revealed) has run away to China, that well-known haven of campaigners for freedom and openness.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,722
    edited June 2013
    antifrank said:

Sure your prayers will be answered if you have a little patience

• fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited June 2013
    Carola said:

antifrank said:

Don't relight their ire.
    Some regular posters Never Forget. It Shouldn't take a Minute to run out of Patience, if it did, the threads would never make Progress.

• MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Tiger Woods ends his US Open 13 OVER par. Wow!
    Anyone have classical history recommendations? It'll be a while before I buy some more books, but it feels like ages since I read about something ancient.
    Well Tim M has pretty endorsed Boris as next Leader in his Times piece tomorrow.

Elsewhere in the Times, David Davis has written a piece that is very unhelpful for George Osborne.

It's mildly amusing that the leaker (who I think has some merit for the extensive scale of the surveillance he revealed) has run away to China, that well-known haven of campaigners for freedom and openness.

The only two political leaders with a bit of sense.

Anyone have classical history recommendations? It'll be a while before I buy some more books, but it feels like ages since I read about something ancient.

Depends on your definition of ancient.?
    The "unforeseen circumstances" gag is one of my favs... Years ago there was a psychic fair at our local pub, and we printed out posters saying "cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances", stuck them over the signs advertising it and got everyone to phone up demanding to know what was going on... What rascals we were!

My little black book?
    PM to resign over illegal surveillance scandal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22930710#TWEET791708

(That's the Czech PM, not Dave)
    Mr. Eagles, preferably BC rather than AD.
    Mick Pork - He also said taxes should not be raised on the super rich, clearly he now has a personal interest!
    edited June 2013
    MikeK said:

The only two political leaders with a bit of sense.

A bit premature.
    Boris is not leader yet and may never be. He has something else in common with NF. Neither are MPs.
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279

Well Tim M has pretty endorsed Boris as next Leader in his Times piece tomorrow.

Elsewhere in the Times, David Davis has written a piece that is very unhelpful for George Osborne.

That made me chuckle. If Boris has suddenly become the answer to Tim Montgomery question on who leads the Tories, then he Still Hasn't Found What He Is Looking For. From Liam Fox to Boris Johnson, Tim's journey trying to find a bespoke Tory Leader who will prove to be Even Better Than The Real Thing.

I hope Bob (who used to post about classical history and knew much more about it than me) comes back one day.
    Carola - Fully agree with Boris on that, particularly given the rebels Al Qaeda links

I recommend the bible.

It has, inter alia, sex, incest, murder, plotting, famine, the Devil, Gods and Angels
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    A decade after Blair's Iraq adventure began ;

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/06/16/iraq-shiite-bomb-shooting/2427797/

What's the peace envoy up to ?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I recommend the bible.

It has, inter alia, sex, incest, murder, plotting, famine, the Devil, Gods and Angels
    And a happy ending! But I am giving away the plot...
    HYUFD said:

Carola - Fully agree with Boris on that, particularly given the rebels Al Qaeda links

It's the Telegraph fp:

https://twitter.com/suttonnick/status/346368501004509184/photo/1
    Mr. Eagles, I fear the Bible's also quite repetitive and in need of some editing.

I have read bits of it. Revelation's my favourite, as it was clearly written by someone who had eaten magic mushrooms.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Tonight's time machine has been set to 3rd June 1982:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGpt2ywiTzY&amp
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited June 2013
    Speaking of Spiderman II - I love this scene, bizarrely the person who posted it on YouTube thinks it was deleted - it wasn't...

Spidey is having a bad day and his webby thingy isn't working,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHVjuiA9jcI
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    MikeK said:

Tiger Woods ends his US Open 13 OVER par. Wow!

If you'd watched him all 4 days, you wouldn't be surprised. His putting at majors is terrible. Plus there is a suspicion he's hurt again.
    HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson is an alpha bloke!
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Carola said:

antifrank said:

Don't relight their ire.
    They just need to Relax
    Moniker - Doing very nicely thankyou staying in the most expensive hotels in Jerusalem with armed motorcades
    edited June 2013

Mr. Eagles, I fear the Bible's also quite repetitive and in need of some editing.

I have read bits of it. Revelation's my favourite, as it was clearly written by someone who had eaten magic mushrooms.

My favourite part of the bible is Proverbs 5:19

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Breast/

Speaking of political betting, more startling pearls of wisdom with film and TV obsessive Philomena Cunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQafqIufnNw

;^ )
    Carola - Thanks, Sunil - Agree, and in today's Times 2/3 of Tory MPs were said to oppose Syrian intervention
    edited June 2013

I hope Bob (who used to post about classical history and knew much more about it than me) comes back one day.

Who needs Bob, when you have me, with my excellent knowledge of all things Classical History

(But yes, Bob needs to come back)

• Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited June 2013
    what about 2 Kings 9,8 from KJV?

For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel:

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson is an alpha bloke!
    Apart from his tennisballophobia:

https://twitter.com/Markfergusonuk/status/346369122357112834/photo/1
    The hotel I stayed in Paris, their wifi, blocked PB due to its contenus pour adultes.

Totally unrelated, my wife wishes we would stay at more hotels like that.

The hotel I stayed in Paris, their wifi, blocked PB due to its contenus pour adultes.

Ironically most of the adult content is posted by you in the first place...

Freggles said:

Ironically most of the adult content is posted by you in the first place...

I blame SeanT
    Hebrews 11:32-34

32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:

33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions.

34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.
    edited June 2013
    Gallup 2016 GOP favourables

Favorable / Unfavorable {Net}
    Chris Christie 52% / 20% {+32%}
    Marco Rubio 37% / 22% {+15%}
    Paul Ryan 40% / 32% {+8%}
    Ted Cruz 24% / 18% {+6%}
    Rand Paul 34% / 29% {+5%}

Among Democrats/Dem-Leaning Independents
    Chris Christie 54% / 17% {+37%}
    Marco Rubio 21% / 34% {-13%}
    Ted Cruz 11% / 29% {-18%}
    Rand Paul 16% / 45% {-29%}
    Paul Ryan 17% / 53% {-36%}

Among Republicans/GOP-Leaning Independents
    Paul Ryan 69% / 12% {+57%}
    Marco Rubio 58% / 11% {+47%}
    Rand Paul 56% / 13% {+43%}
    Ted Cruz 40% / 8% {+32%}
    Chris Christie 53% / 25% {+28%}

@antifrank @sunil

Did they do Just Cant't Get Enough?
    On R4 it sounds like Cammie is considering driving through arming the rebels regardless of parliament and any vote.

Boris is right to posture on this as it could get very ugly indeed should Cammie do so.
    It would also pile massive pressure on Clegg and the lib dems.

edited June 2013

@antifrank @sunil

They did, was part of the encore.
    Now that JFK is back, Alan Pardew is 7/4 as next Prem Manager to leave with Skybet

http://www.skybet.com/football/specials/manager-specials
    Hope PBers are finding the Mitcham & Morden election special interesting. I think hardly anyone's seen it for 31 years.
    Big battle between Justin Rose and Phil Mickelson at the US Open. But it's just started raining though.

Twigg to ban non-qualified teachers from Free Schools:
    Mr Twigg said:

"It is shocking that this government is allowing unqualified teachers into the classroom. High-quality teaching is the most important factor in improving education. We need to drive up the quality of teaching, not undermine it."

A Department of Education source responded:

"We are raising the standards required to qualify for taxpayer-funded training. However, we also need flexibility to allow brilliant teachers from private schools or abroad to teach in state schools.

"It would be stupid to stop brilliant teachers who want to be able to switch from private to state schools from doing so. Having qualified teacher status and being qualified to teach are very different things."
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,701
    Ezekiel 23:20 always makes me laugh.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/ezekiel/23.html
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Mick_Pork said:

Dacre seems to be going for the people's PM Tony Blair's throat these days.

Blair's dirty money: As his tentacles reach Mongolia, how the ex-PM is making millions from some of the world's most evil regimes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2342032/Blairs-dirty-money-As-tentacles-reach-Mongolia-ex-PM-making-millions-worlds-evil-regimes.html

The photographs of Blair may have been chosen to be unflattering but even so, the sainted Tony does seem to have got very old, very recently.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    There's a lot of bronze age social history buried in the Bible if you read it with that in mind.
  • MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    edited June 2013

Interesting timing of the Blair-Dong revelations as well seeing as Blair was primed to be a major cheerleader for Syria.

Congrats Justin Rose on winning the US Open, the first Englishman to win the title in 43 years and the first since Faldo in 1996 to win any major!
    Rose wins!
    Opinium age splits:

55+

Con 29%
    Lab 28%
    UKIP 27%
    LD 9%

18-24:

Lab 45%
    Con 26%
    UKIP 12%
    LD 7%

http://ukgeneralelection2015.blogspot.co.uk/
  • davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165
    I must say that until a few hours ago I considered golf to be the most tedious inane spectator sport imaginable. Absolute garbage.

NOT ANY MORE!!!!

All hail the mighty greatness of Justin Rose! I knew you could do it my son, I was there rooting for you all the way. All hail England. God Save The Queen!

Davidthecon, jumping onto bandwagons since the year zero.
  • davidthecondavidthecon Posts: 165

@antifrank @sunil

Get a room you two. Given your abysmal musical tastes preferably one with padded walls and including two free straightjackets.

Hail Satan, the dark serpent deceiver.

Depeche Mode, I vomit on thee and all thy works.

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,876
    Kids from comprehensives outperform those from private schools at university:

http://m.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jun/16/accesstouniversity-private-schools

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, I fear that comparing yourself to Bob is like Valerian comparing himself to Aurelian.
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    @Freggles - you mentioned Spiderman III - I gave it an 7/10 - its not as good as SII, and has a bit of disjointed plot with 3 different things going on.

That said, the Sandman makes a good baddy re concept. It's a lot better than I remember it when it first came out, so if your other half fancies it - I'd say give it a whirl.

I find MJ rather annoying but maybe that's just me.
    Mr. Observer, that's an interesting finding on education. This line did make me wonder, though:

"One of the characteristics, along with differences such as age, gender and ethnicity, was the type of school attended."

Obviously those three factors are not in the gift of parents or child, but if we're to embark upon social engineering by making it easier for those who did less well at a state school (on the apparently statistically sound notion that they do relatively better than private school peers at university), would this open the door for age, gender and ethnicity quotas?

I'm not fond of the idea of differing entry requirements. However, it does seem that the system's going to be unfair one way or the other. It's worth mentioning, on a personal note, that my GCSE results were fairly good, my A-levels were rubbish (one was mismarked horrendously, but even so they weren't great) and I did end up with a 2:1.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715

Teaching a group of care workers about drugs and their actions I remarked that had a particular anti-psychotic medication been available when the New Testament was written, Revelations never would have been.

The very religious Matron was horrified!
This discussion has been closed.