Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LAB-CON marginals: How Lib Dem non-targeting could help

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The LAB-CON marginals: How Lib Dem non-targeting could help Labour

There’s a wide awareness of the fact that the Lib Dems, who chalked up 24% of the GB vote in 2010, will be putting 100% of their efforts into no more than 75 seats – the 57 they are defending and a few more where they think they are in with a shout.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    First!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Gotta love FPTP. Over 85% of the country effectively ignored when choosing who runs the country.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Lib Dem support went up in these constituencies in 2010, despite minimal targeting of these voters by the Lib Dems. On the one hand it shows the impact of the air war and on the other hand it shows the potential benefits to be reaped by an effective ground war.
  • Options
    Pedant post OGH - ypot: "But the LD plan to have the most focused eection campaign ever means that there will be nothing more than token Lib Dem efforts in the remaining 555 constituencies.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Mike's point is accurate, though in the great majority of these constituencies, the same will have applied in 2010 i.e. they weren't targets then either. I still believe these TV votes are very soft in Labour's column and while they might end up there, they could equally end up back with the Lib Dems, with the Tories, with UKIP or - perhaps most likely - with None Of The Above.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Herdson, it'll be interesting to see what turnout is like next time.

One is drawn back to the memories of 2010, where some polling stations struggled to cope with the immense turnout of 65%.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    The general election in the non-marginals will be very different for everybody. None of the parties will be putting that much effort in where it doesn’t matter.
    Except, possibly, by UKIP. This could provide a few surprises on the night of the election count.
  • Options
    Mr. Me, whilst possible I suspect the main, perhaps sole, impact of UKIP will be indirect (taking votes from other parties to let others gain unexpected victories rather than winning any themselves).
  • Options
    Interesting, Micklethwait Editor of the Economist reckons:

"Micklethwait reckons the Conservatives will win the most seats in the next election but once again not enough to govern in their own right. "He's a more engaging character than is sometimes depicted, but in the next election campaign I suspect Lynton Crosby will be recommending focusing on what Osborne has been doing rather than the figure of Osborne."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/inside-the-osbourne-supremacy/story-e6frg6z6-1226662743192
  • Options
    Miss Vance, although this is a less likely result than a Labour (seats) victory, I wonder what the blues would do if they had enough for a reasonable minority. Would they try for a coalition? I suspect the backbenches wouldn't stand for it.

The alternatives would be to govern as is, with a minority, or to go again to the country. I think they might go for the latter.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

Would they try for a coalition? I suspect the backbenches wouldn't stand for it.

The alternatives would be to govern as is, with a minority, or to go again to the country. I think they might go for the latter.

at some point the Cons back benchers need to understand that they are not some kind of medieval righteous brotherhood fighting for all that is noble on behalf of the peasantry, but part of a government in what is admittedly the least dreadful political system available.

Should they realise this then a lot of Dave's problems go away and he will walk it in 2015.

No one likes a split party, whether it be leader vs leader or backbench vs leader.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    The other option of course is that we will return to the old political situation where outwith rural Scotland and the south-west of England the LibDems will be irrelevant and it will just be a Tory v Labour battle. LibDems will either choose not to vote or will vote for their "paper" candidate, the Green, SNP, PC, UKIP, MRLP or A N Other.

Assuming Scotland doesn't vote Yes next year (because I assume if it did there would be emergency Westminster legislation disenfranchising all 59 Scottish Westminster seats ahead of May 2015) it will be interesting to see what happens to the LibDem seats in Scotland where the SNP knocked them out in 2010. They account for more than 20% of the LibDem Westminster group. Strong chance Lord Thurso, Ming Campbell, Malcolm Bruce and Charles Kennedy will all call it a day. Could a new candidate hold a seat where incumbency and personal choice above party is the rule for most voters.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer - I suspect it would depend on what a post GE Lib Dems looked like, whether Clegg was likely to keep his job, and if not who would replace him, and whether the party was in any mood to continue in government - outside the ministerial ranks I suspect some Lib Dem MPs (along with some Tory back benchers) would prefer the purity of opposition to the compromises of government - tho in fairness, its only the latter who seem to be working to bring that about......
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    That should have read 2011 not 2010 before anyone jumps on my neck!!

The other option of course is that we will return to the old political situation where outwith rural Scotland and the south-west of England the LibDems will be irrelevant and it will just be a Tory v Labour battle. LibDems will either choose not to vote or will vote for their "paper" candidate, the Green, SNP, PC, UKIP, MRLP or A N Other.

Assuming Scotland doesn't vote Yes next year (because I assume if it did there would be emergency Westminster legislation disenfranchising all 59 Scottish Westminster seats ahead of May 2015) it will be interesting to see what happens to the LibDem seats in Scotland where the SNP knocked them out in 2010. They account for more than 20% of the LibDem Westminster group. Strong chance Lord Thurso, Ming Campbell, Malcolm Bruce and Charles Kennedy will all call it a day. Could a new candidate hold a seat where incumbency and personal choice above party is the rule for most voters.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Has anyone seen The Unforgiven with Gene Hackman?

Just been watching him again in Mississippi Burning [what a cracking film that is] and just thinking how versatile an actor he is - character actor, comedy, villan, cop...everything from The French Connection to Superman baddy.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Does this save-all policy mean that the LDs are abandoning their position as the third UK political party to UKIP? How will this policy be received at their Autumn Conference?

As this conference is being held in Glasgow, does this mean that they are prioritising the defence of their Scottish seats?
  • Options

Assuming Scotland doesn't vote Yes next year (because I assume if it did there would be emergency Westminster legislation disenfranchising all 59 Scottish Westminster seats ahead of May 2015)

Tricky - not sure you can - or should - disenfranchise the Scots for a year between May 15 and May 16 - though on the other hand, don't think their representatives should negotiate on behalf of rUK with the Scottish government on the terms of separation...
  • Options
    Financier said:

Does this save-all policy mean that the LDs are abandoning their position as the third UK political party to UKIP? How will this policy be received at their Autumn Conference?

As this conference is being held in Glasgow, does this mean that they are prioritising the defence of their Scottish seats?

What an interesting observation Mr Financier. I notice almost every party is keen on extracting universal benefits from wealthier pensioners too - how times change as those sacred cows go to slaughter...
  • Options
    Miss Vance, it's clearly absolutely unacceptable for MPs who are Scottish to be on the 'UK' side of any theoretical negotiations over separation. It'd be a great way to get an antagonistic rather than cordial separation.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, then should they form any part of a government that will only be a UK government for 12 months?

Of course the separation negotiation timetable is another thing the SNP has assumed within its gift - it's not, the other 92% of the UK might take a different view and say "OK, let's get this sorted in 6 months so the May 2015 GE is not compromised - its not our fault you took so bloody long to hold the referendum."
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    An interesting premise for UKIP.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    How many Co op candidates will stand in 2015 - money well spent rather than giving to bondholders?
  • Options
    Miss Vance, that would be ideal, but I'm not sure it'd be possible in such a short timescale. Which then comes to two options, one of which is unfortunate (Scotland having no MPs at all in government in Westminster) or unacceptable (Scotland having seats on both sides of the negotiating table).

2014 is a stupid year to have the vote. If they'd had it a year or two ago there would've been enough time to sort out most or all of the separation issues prior to the next General Election.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

Of course the separation negotiation timetable is another thing the SNP has assumed within its gift - it's not, the other 92% of the UK might take a different view and say "OK, let's get this sorted in 6 months so the May 2015 GE is not compromised - its not our fault you took so bloody long to hold the referendum."

In a theoretical alternate universe they might do that, in the one we actually live in they obviously wouldn't. Apart from all the practical difficulties, what would be in it for the LibDems?
  • Options
    @Plato

"I notice almost every party is keen on extracting universal benefits from wealthier pensioners too - how times change as those sacred cows go to slaughter..."

Certainly HMG when they introduced these benefits did not take into account either location or need.
    For instance, pensioners who have retired to Spain and similar climates only require heating (mostly evenings) for two months of the year max - thus do not need the annual heating allowance.
  • Options

2014 is a stupid year to have the vote. If they'd had it a year or two ago there would've been enough time to sort out most or all of the separation issues prior to the next General Election.

No way it could happen that fast. Apart from anything at the British end they need to sort something out with the EU. Nothing involving the EU happens quickly, and they may well need to get legislation through 27 different parliaments.

If Salmond gets an "out" vote in 2014 he'll be doing well to turn it into actual independence by 2020.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    Financier said:

@Plato

"I notice almost every party is keen on extracting universal benefits from wealthier pensioners too - how times change as those sacred cows go to slaughter..."

Certainly HMG when they introduced these benefits did not take into account either location or need.
    For instance, pensioners who have retired to Spain and similar climates only require heating (mostly evenings) for two months of the year max - thus do not need the annual heating allowance.

But there's a fairness aspect to that as well - whilst most Brits go to live on the warm coastal fringes of Spain, a fair few (sensibly IMHO) go to the interior, or even the mountains, which get much colder.

As it's impossible to be fair, I'd say cut the heating allowances from all pensioners living abroad.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, perhaps you're right on the timescale, but regardless of that it'd be unacceptable to have Scots sitting on both sides of the table.

However, if the separatists won then I think that'd help both the SNP and Conservatives at the polls in 2015 (would people trust Labour to negotiate against the Scots?) which would happily reduce this potential, and very serious, conflict of interest issue arising.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer - Czechoslovakia managed it 6 months - so why not the UK? Westminster could vote to disenfranchise the Scots in 2015 and if they choose to take longer to negotiate separation, then that is their choice.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,066

If only the Tories, LDs and Labour hadn't blocked it at every turn between 2007-2011.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, surely 'the voters'? And if you (SNP) were gagging for a referendum why did you then delay it for a further 3 years?
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013
    The incompetent fop is looking ever more isolated.
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton

Labour, the Lib Dems, most Tory MPs and Boris Johnson all oppose arming the Syrian rebels. Cameron can't win. http://bit.ly/1bMp00I

Tore ‏@potifar66

Cameron could lose vote on arming rebels and Cleggs position suggests he doesnt have support in gov coalition #Syria http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jun/16/nick-clegg-arming-syrian-rebels
    But on the other hand Cammie does have his political hero on his side.
    Charles Shoebridge ‏@ShoebridgeC

#TonyBlair calls for #Syria intervention. Which surely must give even pro interventionists some doubts.. http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/15/tony-blair-west-intervene-syria
    What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Mr. Me, whilst possible I suspect the main, perhaps sole, impact of UKIP will be indirect (taking votes from other parties to let others gain unexpected victories rather than winning any themselves).

Oh, Yes. What I meant to say was that by having a haphazard and unpredictable effect UKIP will make some seats a lot more marginal than they look on the basis of the 2010 results.

When it comes to targeting - and the individual seat markets - this is where mistakes will be made and money from the bookmakers won.
  • Options

Mr. Tokyo, perhaps you're right on the timescale, but regardless of that it'd be unacceptable to have Scots sitting on both sides of the table.

Any Scots on the UK side would be representing the UK, you can't remove them from the UK side while Scotland is still in the UK, which by definition doesn't happen until the end of the negotiations.

However, if the separatists won then I think that'd help both the SNP and Conservatives at the polls in 2015 (would people trust Labour to negotiate against the Scots?) which would happily reduce this potential, and very serious, conflict of interest issue arising.

I'm not convinced. A lot of Scots have friends, family and interests in England, and vice versa. It's not obvious that most voters will want a confrontation - isn't the whole thing easier if you just elect Labour to both governments?
  • Options

In a theoretical alternate universe they might do that, in the one we actually live in they obviously wouldn't. Apart from all the practical difficulties, what would be in it for the LibDems?
    "Only the Conservatives are standing up for England in 2015" - what have they got to lose in Scotland? And as they'd no doubt never tire of pointing out, "Labour and the Lib Dems want to keep their Scottish MPs".

If Czechoslovakia managed it in 6 months, why not the UK?

If Salmond gets an "out" vote in 2014 he'll be doing well to turn it into actual independence by 2020.
    And take long enough for Lab to get back in and overturn Independence (we always said it was half baked) in a Devo max vote?

Salmond needs to strike while the iron is hot - or risk having the whole thing unravel.
  • Options
    Mr. Tokyo, they're only part of the UK for months or years in that situation. Would a couple getting divorced have the husband acting as the wife's lawyer?

I think either Scots or Britons would be crazy to vote Labour in that situation. North of the border it's Salmond/the SNP who have delivered the change and stand for independence, south of the border Labour is known to have a great deal of Scottish leaders (Brown and Darling standing out) whereas the Conservatives have very few, minimising any conflict of interest.
  • Options

If only the Tories, LDs and Labour hadn't blocked it at every turn between 2007-2011.
    Please, don't stop the PB tories now. This is hilarious stuff from them. Most of them still don't have a clue about the McKay commission never mind the negotiation timetable.
  • Options
    Mr. Pork, it's strange to criticise unionist parties for voting in a unionist way. If the referendum was so urgent why did Salmond delay?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Mr. Divvie, surely 'the voters'? And if you (SNP) were gagging for a referendum why did you then delay it for a further 3 years?

Perhaps the fact that the SNP told 'the voters' before the 2011 election that's when they would have the referendum? I can just imagine the p!ssing on moaning on here if the SNP had changed their minds due to favourable polling and held the referendum in 2011.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Hmmh, if they are only targetting 75 seats with any seriousness, then surely there is an argument for Clegg not being represented in the potential PM's debate?
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, that doesn't answer my question. Why did the SNP choose to delay it for 3 years? Why not hold it a year after the last election, and put that in your manifesto?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    @mick Pork

Rather than being so dismissive in your usual manner, why not give a positive response and explain about the Mckay Commission ?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited June 2013
    It will come as a major surprise to most people living in Italy that they only need heating,evenings mainly, for two months of the year.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Mr Dancer. He didn't. Carry on please and if you could also somehow forget about Cammie's Cast Iron pledges for his IN/OUT referendum and whether he supports IN or OUT that would be great. :)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited June 2013

No way it could happen that fast. Apart from anything at the British end they need to sort something out with the EU. Nothing involving the EU happens quickly, and they may well need to get legislation through 27 different parliaments.

How long did it take Czech Republic and Slovakia to separate? I can't think of many other peaceful recent examples (USSR).

Edit I see CarlottaVance gave me the answer earlier.
  • Options
    philiph said:

How long did it take Czech Republic and Slovakia to separate? I can't think of many other peaceful recent examples (USSR).
    6 months.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Mick_Pork said:

Labour, the Lib Dems, most Tory MPs and Boris Johnson all oppose arming the Syrian rebels. Cameron can't win. http://bit.ly/1bMp00I

Tore ‏@potifar66

Cameron could lose vote on arming rebels and Cleggs position suggests he doesnt have support in gov coalition #Syria http://m.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jun/16/nick-clegg-arming-syrian-rebels

#TonyBlair calls for #Syria intervention. Which surely must give even pro interventionists some doubts.. http://m.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/15/tony-blair-west-intervene-syria

Why insist on trying to make a party political point out of this?

Cameron, as PM, should form his view but it's right that the Commons should have the final say.

I'd be deeply worried if our politicians voted to go to war (or not) purely on the basis of their party whip
  • Options
    Clegg knows perfectly well what would happen if he supported Cammie.
    Keenasmustard ‏@dr_frasiercrane 1h

#Syria #Ashdown:"arming the rebels would be 'an act of very considerable folly' that risked drawing Britain into a wider sectarian struggle"
  • Options

philiph said:

6 months.

They weren't in the EU. In any case, things were still in flux from the fall of Communism. It's much easier to do things fast if you're already used to chaos and don't mind a bit more of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

isn't the whole thing easier if you just elect Labour to both governments?

Given Labour's track record of negotiating with the EU - which would give away more, Scottish Labour, or English Labour?

Are you feeling lucky?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Charles said:

Mick_Pork said:

Tore ‏@potifar66

Why insist on trying to make a party political point out of this?

Cameron, as PM, should form his view but it's right that the Commons should have the final say.

Remember you said that Charles.
    Having a say is not the same as having a veto and the final say.
    That last question, about whether Parliament could prevent such action, is the key, and the Prime Minister does not offer a copper-bottomed guarantee that a vote in Parliament would be binding.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/06/will-parliament-get-a-vote-on-syria-pm-says-basically-yes/
    At least it wasn't a cast-iron guarantee. That might have set off the alarm bells for his own backbenchers. They are still eventually going to realise that they or parliament don't have a veto on this yet and may never do.
  • Options

philiph said:

6 months.

They weren't in the EU. In any case, things were still in flux from the fall of Communism. It's much easier to do things fast if you're already used to chaos and don't mind a bit more of it.
    Which peaceful separations in recent history have taken longer?
  • Options

philiph said:

6 months.

I can't think of any relevant comparisons, can you?
  • Options

philiph said:

6 months.

No - so how do you know that 6 months isn't enough, when its the only example we've got?
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Mr. Divvie, that doesn't answer my question. Why did the SNP choose to delay it for 3 years? Why not hold it a year after the last election, and put that in your manifesto?

I'm flattered that you think I'm the fount of knowledge on SNP strategy.
    I'm not, but I'd guess that they thought that at best they'd still be a minority government after May 2011 (albeit with an increased number of MSPs), and that after a lot of dickering and arguing that they might just have got legislation through for a referendum towards the end of the 2011-2016 parliament. Of course if they hadn't, it would again have been down to blocking by the Tories, LDs and Labour.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,270
    I agree with David Herdson down thread that Mike is wrong to present this as a new problem. The Lib dems have always focussed their resources, it is the main reason they have so many MPs.

So in Lab/Con marginals a paper Lib Dem, probably more focussed on the next local election than Westminster will be nothing new.

What is potentially new is that if the Lib Dem share of the vote falls by 1/3 to 16% from 24% a lot of that 8% will be in these paper seats and they would frankly hope that their loss of votes is focussed there rather in seats where they have a chance. So there will be Lib dem votes floating about looking for a new home. The premise is that some of these, lefties (if I am still allowed to use that term), will go with Labour but that ignores the fact that the left wing lib dems probably did in 2010 anyway through tactical voting.

So who does vote lib Dem in a seat where they are putting in no effort and have no chance? I doubt these people are capable of a simple generalisation although the polling would suggest that a significant number have at least temporarily moved their allegience to Labour. My guess is that allegience will prove to be very soft.
  • Options

6 months.

No - so how do you know that 6 months isn't enough, when its the only example we've got?

Just think about the process. They're going to want to be in the EU.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I know that targeting makes sense, but at the same time long neglected "safe seats" become a soft underbelly. If an enterprising party had enough resources to try a few carefully selected long-shots I suspect it might pay off.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420

Any Scots on the UK side would be representing the UK, you can't remove them from the UK side while Scotland is still in the UK, which by definition doesn't happen until the end of the negotiations.

Gaijin:

If Labour scrape a majority based upon 12% of their MPs being from Scotland, you think that Ed will negotiate a fair deal for England (with Sven being one of "our" back-benchers)? You think...?
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Only 2 possible ways the Tories can win in 2015

1) Tories state exactly what EU renegotiation they want to achieve and that they will support leaving the EU in a 2017 referendum if they fail in any negotiations. This should help most UKIP flirters come back to the Tories.

2) Labour make a complete mess of their election campaign.

Not sure which is most likely, but both are possible.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

During one of the (not infrequent) demolitions of Salmond's "automatic EU membership" the FT explained how Scottish accession negotiations could take years, but Scotland still remain part of the EU as a non-voting member - and only once negotiations were complete (~3-5 yrs) get a Commissioner and so forth...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    DavidL said:

What is potentially new is that if the Lib Dem share of the vote falls by 1/3 to 16% from 24% a lot of that 8% will be in these paper seats and they would frankly hope that their loss of votes is focussed there rather in seats where they have a chance.

As you say it's not just a question of the same type of targeting and logistics that happen in every election but more a question of the scale and precisely where this time around when they are under intense pressure.

The real problem for the lib dems is that their base has been denuded quite markedly and it's not over yet by any means. Given that there is simply no room for anything other than an incredibly focused approach. So it's going to get very ugly as the activist base that is left is going to find itself being carefully rationed out to the most 'needy' seats potentially leaving some currently prominent lib dem MPs far from happy.

• Options

During one of the (not infrequent) demolitions of Salmond's "automatic EU membership" the FT explained how Scottish accession negotiations could take years, but Scotland still remain part of the EU as a non-voting member - and only once negotiations were complete (~3-5 yrs) get a Commissioner and so forth...
    Among the many other problems with that, it's going to be hard to conclude the negotiations with rUK without knowing approximately how the EU ones are going to work out...
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    edited June 2013

So? Not our (rUK) problem - we can split the country then as an independent country Scotland can apply to join any club it likes at any time it wants to. No need to drag on the divorce for years because the estranged partner wants to sign up to match.com but hasn't managed to do it yet.

Among the many other problems with that, it's going to be hard to conclude the negotiations with rUK without knowing approximately how the EU ones are going to work out...

Similarly if the Scots vote to separate then they get to separate. If Spain vetoes their EU membership are you suggesting that they would just stay in the UK?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    hucks67 said:

1) Tories state exactly what EU renegotiation they want to achieve and that they will support leaving the EU in a 2017 referendum if they fail in any negotiations. This should help most UKIP flirters come back to the Tories.

2) Is fairly likely as little Ed really is far from impressive on the campaign trail even standing on a pallet. Problem for the tories is we already know that having Osbrowne master strategise a campaign is a very foolish move so it would end up a zero-sum game.

1) Is a pipe dream since it would not only lead to some very awkward questions about the circumstances Cammie would campaign to stay IN on, but during an election campaign it would basically hand Farage all the ammunition he needs while Cammie's backbenchers would start running about like headless chickens banging on about Europe at every opportunity. Yet again.

Cammie will want 2015 to be all about the economy and specifically on trust and labour. That should have been easy enough to do if he didn't have the toxic liability Osbrowne in place to scare off so many voters.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,595
    edited June 2013
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Interesting pin-head dancing from Stephen Twigg on free schools. I feel rather sorry for him trying to create a dividing line over what is actually a Labour policy.

"I sympathise with Stephen Twigg, the shadow education secretary. From the moment he was appointed, he made it clear that he doesn't oppose free schools. I suspect that his attitude towards them in private is the same as Andrew Adonis's and, like his close colleague, he believes Labour should take credit for them. As Adonis has often pointed out, free schools are just a subset of the sponsored academies introduced by Labour...

His strategy in the past has been to support free schools, but only on certain conditions. In 2011, for instance, he said Labour wouldn't oppose free schools provided that they raised standards, narrowed the attainment gap between rich and poor and didn't have a negative impact on neighbouring schools. In his big speech later today, Twigg will make essentially the same point, only with a different set of conditions. This time, he's saying that Labour will support free schools provided they don't create surplus places or employ non-qualified [not teaching union approved] teachers...

The autonomy of free schools and academies when it comes to things like employing staff is guaranteed in their funding agreements and it's hard for an Education Secretary to override those agreements, as Ed Balls discovered when he unsuccessfully tried to force academies to teach the National Curriculum in 2007." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100222049/labour-has-raised-the-white-flag-on-free-schools/
  • Options
    Gasman said:

So? Not our (rUK) problem - we can split the country then as an independent country Scotland can apply to join any club it likes at any time it wants to. No need to drag on the divorce for years because the estranged partner wants to sign up to match.com but hasn't managed to do it yet.
    rUK trades with Scotland, loads of Scots live in England, loads of English live in Scotland. There may be a bit of brinksmanship and grandstanding here and there, but nobody's going to be playing passive-aggressive games over this. Most of the relevant details will be win-win or lose-lose. Once the Scottish voters vote the politicians will sort out the details in a way that works for everyone. But there will be no urgent need to change anything particularly fast, and the EU doesn't move fast even when there is an urgent need to.
  • Options
    @Plato

I heard Stephen Twigg on the radio this morning and I've never heard such a confused policy being put forward. It sounded a bit like the Tories' position on grammar schools, which is to keep the ones that already exist but not to allow any more to be set up, which of course makes no sense at all from the point of view of principle.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Gasman said:

rUK trades with Scotland, loads of Scots live in England, loads of English live in Scotland. There may be a bit of brinksmanship and grandstanding here and there, but nobody's going to be playing passive-aggressive games over this. Most of the relevant details will be win-win or lose-lose. Once the Scottish voters vote the politicians will sort out the details in a way that works for everyone. But there will be no urgent need to change anything particularly fast, and the EU doesn't move fast even when there is an urgent need to.
    Post Referendum, in the situation where the Indi side win, I cannot envisage a period where they say, Oh, take your time, they will want (rightly) the quickest and most complete solution asap.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

@Plato

I heard Stephen Twigg on the radio this morning and I've never heard such a confused policy being put forward. It sounded a bit like the Tories' position on grammar schools, which is to keep the ones that already exist but not to allow any more to be set up, which of course makes no sense at all from the point of view of principle.

I agree - what I find really odd is the concept of *unqualified teachers* when its actually a hoop to jump through that the unions demand [essentially a closed shop] and doesn't apply to any indy school or academy anyway. A good teacher appears to have little to do with academic equalifications in pedagogy and a lot to do with classroom discipline, natural charisma and a love of their subject.

Parents are free to choose where to send their kids to school based on the attractiveness of the teachers/ethos now and have done for many years - Labour's position makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    edited June 2013

I agree that no-one's going to be playing games and that the details will be sorted out as well as possible. It will be in no-one's interests to have the process dragging on for years (and if it's contingent on the EU then with no end in sight). The SNP/Scots will want to be independent and there will be no advantage for rUK in dragging the uncertainty and upheaval out for an extended period. 1-2 years of negotiations then split, probably with a date announced well in advance. The best way to deal with uncertainty and upheaval is not to extend it and add to it: "independence will occur at some point in the next 10 to 20 years, but we're not sure when" is not going to help anyone.

Having said that, this all seems very unlikely anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Opposition to arming the Syrian rebels is fast gathering steam on the tory side.
    Paul Goodman ‏@PaulGoodmanCH 18m

There is no British national interest in being dragged into Syria's sectarian war. http://is.gd/zakhFq

Stephen R Jones ‏@Meliden

William Hague is not the hawk on Syria he makes out. He is doing the Prime Minister’s bidding" Via @Iaindale http://iaindale.com/posts/2013/06/16/why-is-cameron-talking-up-arming-syrian-rebels-when-parliament-would-vote-against-it
    Cammie angering his backbenches yet again is one thing, a split among tory cabinet ministers is quite another.
  • Options
    Mr Kirkup is equally confused but thinks he knows what he heard...

"So, to summarize: Mr Gove is pursuing a policy that allows parents to establish new schools using public money, which they then lead outside local authority control.

Labour is going to scrap that policy and replace it with one that gives parents a role in setting up new local schools using public money, which would then be “parent-led” and largely outside council control.

Hmm. It’s almost as if Mr Twigg is quietly accepting the principles of Mr Gove’s schools policy while manufacturing a cosmetic difference to keep the Left of his party happy." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100222085/labours-new-free-schools-policy-a-red-rose-by-another-name/
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Plato said:

Interesting pin-head dancing from Stephen Twigg on free schools. I feel rather sorry for him trying to create a dividing line over what is actually a Labour policy.

"I sympathise with Stephen Twigg, the shadow education secretary. From the moment he was appointed, he made it clear that he doesn't oppose free schools. I suspect that his attitude towards them in private is the same as Andrew Adonis's and, like his close colleague, he believes Labour should take credit for them. As Adonis has often pointed out, free schools are just a subset of the sponsored academies introduced by Labour...

His strategy in the past has been to support free schools, but only on certain conditions. In 2011, for instance, he said Labour wouldn't oppose free schools provided that they raised standards, narrowed the attainment gap between rich and poor and didn't have a negative impact on neighbouring schools. In his big speech later today, Twigg will make essentially the same point, only with a different set of conditions. This time, he's saying that Labour will support free schools provided they don't create surplus places or employ non-qualified [not teaching union approved] teachers...

The autonomy of free schools and academies when it comes to things like employing staff is guaranteed in their funding agreements and it's hard for an Education Secretary to override those agreements, as Ed Balls discovered when he unsuccessfully tried to force academies to teach the National Curriculum in 2007." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100222049/labour-has-raised-the-white-flag-on-free-schools/

And Academies were derived from the Tory programme of City Technology Colleges.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    hucks67 said:

3) Labour retreat on every policy (already underway) such that they offer nothing different to the Cons thus depressing the likelhood to vote of their base to 2010 levels.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited June 2013
    Opposition to arming the Syrian rebels is fast gathering steam on the tory side.

Think they are looking over their shoulders at UKIP Mick?

We've yet to hear from Farage on this topic, as far as I can see, although UKIP policy is strongly anti interventionist
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, I believe Farage has overtly stated he's against arming the rebels.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    taffys said:

Think they are looking over their shoulders at UKIP Mick?

We've yet to hear from Farage on this topic, as far as I can see...

Farage did come out against already but Boris is garnering most of the attention at the moment as he is wont to do.
    Sarah Wollaston MP ‏@drwollastonmp 12h

Spot on analysis from Boris about why we cannot end a Syrian war by arming fanatics. I wont be voting for it http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/10123938/Weve-left-it-too-late-to-save-Syria-this-conflict-can-never-be-won.html
    If this gets to a vote then it's all about internal splits and the commons and I doubt Farage will get more than a cursory glance from the media during such events. Unless and until the kippers get some MPs it will always be so.

• Options
    This is a new version of the Labour targets with the 2013 local election results superimposed, although I've only just started working out the results. Of course a lot of areas didn't have any elections this year so they will remain grey:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dGRabkF6R2dtNkxqZnRHUHk0cE5fM0E#gid=0
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @edmundintokyo

'Among the many other problems with that, it's going to be hard to conclude the negotiations with rUK without knowing approximately how the EU ones are going to work out...'

That's their problem,they will have voted for independence.
  • Options
    Meanwhile Hollande's woes continue:

"France’s ruling Socialist Party suffered a humiliating defeat on Sunday by losing a parliamentary by-election to replace disgraced former budget minister Jérôme Cahuzac.

Socialist Bernard Barral came in third place in the poll in the south-western Lot-et-Garonne department, behind the candidate representing the far-right National Front (FN), who moves to the second round against the nominee of the right-wing Union for a Popular Movement (UMP) party."

http://www.france24.com/en/20130617-france-far-right-national-front-shame-socialist-party-parliament-elections

That'll put him in a good mood at the G8.....
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Mr. Taffys, I believe Farage has overtly stated he's against arming the rebels.

Quite apart from the moralities of the matter, it seems to me arming rebels would only help UKIP at the expense of the conservatives.

Labour is in a peculiar position here given it has history with interventionism.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Speaking of the Middle East - why are so many shocked that the Iranians have gone for a moderate?

My Iranian friends are embarrassed by DinnerJacket et al - and IIRC Iran hasn't invaded another country in over 200yrs. They get a terrible press despite being a largely very cultured nation IME.

How one measures funding for various *terrorist/freedom fighting* organisations is of course another matter. Lots of US citizens were keen on the IRA.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    The only seats where LAB needs to get its vote out will be the super-marginals - and here they will hammer the Tories because they're far far better at the ground game.
    TGOHF said:

hucks67 said:

3) Labour retreat on every policy (already underway) such that they offer nothing different to the Cons thus depressing the likelhood to vote of their base to 2010 levels.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931
    Plato said:

Andy_JS said:

@Plato

I agree - what I find really odd is the concept of *unqualified teachers* when its actually a hoop to jump through that the unions demand [essentially a closed shop] and doesn't apply to any indy school or academy anyway. A good teacher appears to have little to do with academic equalifications in pedagogy and a lot to do with classroom discipline, natural charisma and a love of their subject.

Parents are free to choose where to send their kids to school based on the attractiveness of the teachers/ethos now and have done for many years - Labour's position makes no sense at all.

Presumably you are opposed to the government's decision to raise the standards needed to get into teacher training college then? Best to just get rid of them altogether.

Parents often do not have a choice of schools. In Southam, for example, there is one secondary school and now that there is no transport subsidy if you live in Southam or close by that is the school your children will go to.

There is also the issue of primary schools, where teaching is hugely specialised in terms of taking children aged four through to a decent level of literacy and numeracy. It's not a job for amateurs.

• Options
    Plato said:

Labour is going to scrap that policy and replace it with one that gives parents a role in setting up new local schools using public money, which would then be “parent-led” and largely outside council control.

Where's he getting that from?
    http://www.tom-watson.co.uk/2013/06/no-school-left-behind
    I'm reading it as that if you've got a school in the pipeline already he'll let you finish the job, but he doesn't think it's a good idea to let random groups of parents start schools, so he'll stop doing that from now on.

What I'm a bit puzzled about is that he seems to want to take the freedom to set your own rules from free schools / academies and give it to all schools, and take the local control of maintained schools and give it to free schools / academies. Which sounds sensible, but once you've done that, what's the difference between free schools / academies and maintained schools?

PS TBF it's not a finished policy yet, so maybe it will be clearer when Blunkett finishes his report and they make the proper policy.
  • Options
    @Plato

"This time, he's saying that Labour will support free schools provided they don't create surplus places or employ non-qualified [not teaching union approved] teachers..."

Of course the question that Twigg is trying to avoid is the reason why parents are happy to send their children to 'free schools' and not to the council-run schools and so is spinning like a top, which is being whipped by the interested parties of teaching unions and local councils - both of whom will lose control and jobs.

It is all about the quality of education and staff inspiring the pupils to aspire to achieve their best - essential in a world where there is a global competition for jobs.
  • Options
    perdix said:

And Academies were derived from the Tory programme of City Technology Colleges.

♫ And the palace stays the same ♫
    ♫ Only the guards ever change ♫
  • Options
    "At stake in debates about same-sex marriage is not the right of persons holding firm religious beliefs to hold them or manifest them. What the deniers want, is not merely to enjoy their own religion, but to stop others from enjoying the freedom on equal terms to marry."

http://ohrh.law.ox.ac.uk/?p=1984
  • Options
    OT Re Wolverine - what were the designers thinking of when they gave him an Elvis quiff? I mean really, it just makes me flinch whenever I see it - all gelled and swept up at the sides. It makes Liberace's wig look sensible.

Hugh Jackman needs a double bass and a rhinestone suit to go with it.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931

Plato said:

Where's he getting that from?
    http://www.tom-watson.co.uk/2013/06/no-school-left-behind
    I'm reading it as that if you've got a school in the pipeline already he'll let you finish the job, but he doesn't think it's a good idea to let random groups of parents start schools, so he'll stop doing that from now on.

What I'm a bit puzzled about is that he seems to want to take the freedom to set your own rules from free schools / academies and give it to all schools, and take the local control of maintained schools and give it to free schools / academies. Which sounds sensible, but once you've done that, what's the difference between free schools / academies and maintained schools?

PS TBF it's not a finished policy yet, so maybe it will be clearer when Blunkett finishes his report and they make the proper policy.

The point is that there will be no difference, but that instead of central control and oversight - which is what Gove believes in - there will be local accountability. This will also make it easier for schools to co-oridnate and to share support services. And it is local oversight in Tory parts of the country as well as Labour ones.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Financier said:

@Plato

"This time, he's saying that Labour will support free schools provided they don't create surplus places or employ non-qualified [not teaching union approved] teachers..."

Of course the question that Twigg is trying to avoid is the reason why parents are happy to send their children to 'free schools' and not to the council-run schools and so is spinning like a top, which is being whipped by the interested parties of teaching unions and local councils - both of whom will lose control and jobs.

It is all about the quality of education and staff inspiring the pupils to aspire to achieve their best - essential in a world where there is a global competition for jobs.

Indeed - that's why I feel so sorry for Mr Twigg. He's been kicked all over the HoC by Mr Gove when he limply tries to create a dividing line where none exists. It's a crap job trying to oppose something for the sake of it, its incredibly hard to seem sincere unless you're a sociopath - and Mr Twigg obviously isn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It will be very interesting to see who all lines up in cabinet most strongly for Cammie's line on arming the Syrian rebels. Currently he would seem to have Gove and Hammond pretty squarely on his side with Hague sounding less than convinced.

More will likely start to break cover (or at least try to do some positioning) after seeing Boris come out so vehemently against and getting much praise among his tory colleagues and commentators for doing so.

Same goes for the lib dems after Ashdown was excoriating about the wisdom of such a move. Time for the likes of Farron and Vince to hold forth on the subject perhaps?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    A sensible idea by UKIP:

http://order-order.com/2013/06/17/ukip-bolster-candidate-vetting-for-2014/

I wonder what sort of vetting the other parties put their candidates through? Given some of the people who manage to get through to be candidates, perhaps not much.

However: I hope the vetting does not lead to identikit candidates. We're far enough down that road already.
  • Options
    Interesting analysis of EDL - who they are & what they believe:

http://www.academia.edu/3716915/Terrorism_and_Political_Violence_Conference_June_2013

One bit of good news - support seems to have tailed off post-Woolwich....
  • Options
    Peter Dominiczak @peterdominiczak
    Andrew Adonis has blogged saying Labour's new schools policy will essentially allow more free schools to open.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Very good result for Labour in Gravesham in the local elections: by contrast pretty poor results in Gloucester and Worcester.
  • Options
    Interesting tweet from Lord Ashcroft:

"Excellent talk and political analysis by @LiamFoxMP last night. Liam, don't go back into the Cabinet and be muted."

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Plato said:

Speaking of the Middle East - why are so many shocked that the Iranians have gone for a moderate?

My Iranian friends are embarrassed by DinnerJacket et al - and IIRC Iran hasn't invaded another country in over 200yrs. They get a terrible press despite being a largely very cultured nation IME.

How one measures funding for various *terrorist/freedom fighting* organisations is of course another matter. Lots of US citizens were keen on the IRA.

Iran is an imperial nation. Your thoughts are not replicated by the Azeris, Kurds, Boluchis and Shia Arabs (c.f. Princes-Gate). Life ain't simple lass....
This discussion has been closed.