Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited June 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB Nighthawks is now open

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Lets start with a joke

Damian McBride ‏@DPMcBride 5m

If there are any non-US candidates for Fed Chair, surely Gordon Brown is one. We need someone who grasps how serious things are becoming.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    A rail company is offering one couple a chance to get married on a train

"I'll tell you a riddle: you're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where the train will take you?"
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    TGOHF said:

Lets start with a joke

Damian McBride ‏@DPMcBride 5m

If there are any non-US candidates for Fed Chair, surely Gordon Brown is one. We need someone who grasps how serious things are becoming.

Nice! Though I think he meant electric chair.

Good piece by Rafael Behr in the New Statesman btw. Touches on a subject which interests a lot of us: is there more to Ed Miliband than meets the eye or will he to end up a loser, like Kinnock. It is a tough one to call. The maths say he'll be a winner, but like Behr says, it is so, so easy not to believe it.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,370
    Gavin Hastings has rather emphatically come out against Scottish Independence.
  • Options
    GO announces that RBS may be split up into good bank/bad bank.

Lloyds to be sold off - with a retail sale of some shares later.

• Options

Hope he has a good glazier.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good evening, everyone.

Finished The Last of Us. Bloody good game.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Hope he has a good glazier.

“If we were independent would we not be doing everything in our power to find the benefits of joining up with England, Wales and Northern Ireland? Why, if we have that, would we be looking to divide it?”
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    WOT? No mention of the Saffers getting stuffed in the thread header? Sheeesh!!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Does he think it would mean Scottish players being ineligible for the Lions?

• Options

WOT? No mention of the Saffers getting stuffed in the thread header? Sheeesh!!

I wanted to make a gag about choking, but realised this is a respectable blog.
  • Options
    Neil said:

He's more worried about Rugby sevens

He did, however, fear for the future of Scotland’s rugby team, especially in the light of rugby sevens becoming an Olympic sport.

He believes this will see developing rugby nations enjoying increased investment, to Scotland’s disadvantage.
  • Options
    What should you do if a woman is choking?

Generally, I back up a few inches.

Boom tish.
  • Options
    Neil said:

The Scottish sport system is doing that by default. Eck's team went into admin today - good stuff.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

"I'll tell you a riddle: you're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where the train will take you?"

Are you at the end of the line? So any train is the right direction, even if it is not a direct service?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited June 2013
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

The Scottish sport system is doing that by default. Eck's team went into admin today - good stuff.

It's the hand of Eck, give it three years and it goes pear shaped. See the pandas while they last.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

Good evening, everyone.

Finished The Last of Us. Bloody good game.

Hmm...I wish I had 16 hours of my life to spare on such frivolities.

Al Kazeem helped replenish the coffers today after yesterday's bloodbath and a nice SP too.

Politics - well, Obama was at his best in Berlin today. There seems to be something about the place that resonates with US presidents. Very pro-EU and emphasising the benefits of the US-EU relationship so one for some on here to ponder.

Interesting that Syria wasn't mentioned - I suspect for all the bluster, the G8 have effectively agreed a policy of collective inaction. Putin will be happy about this and for all some claimed he looked "uncomfortable" you have to remember the tough guy image is for the folks back home. Just as we like Cameron to be tough with the rest of the EU, the Russians like Putin to look tough on the world stage.

The realpolitik is that as far as Syria is concerned, the G8 want this to end as quickly as possible and while that won't in and of itself end the violence, it would calm things down in an area of the world that for all the comments from the pro-fracking lobby, remains an area of critical economic and geopolitical significance for the West.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

That's the fault of Labour peer and assaulter of police officers, George Foulkes.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Hmm. For a man who doesn't have time for such frivolities you've an awfully good idea of how long the game lasts...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

What should you do if a woman is choking?

Generally, I back up a few inches.

Boom tish.

I don't understand what you're implying.
  • Options

Are you at the end of the line? So any train is the right direction, even if it is not a direct service?
    Nope. The correct answer is: "Because you'll be together."

:)
  • Options
    Jack Brough ‏@Jughead180 1h

.@Aggerscricket on 5live earlier "No-one wants to lose a semi" Quite right Aggers, quite right. #cricketinginnuendo
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Harry Smith ‏@stvharry 1m
    Which part of Alec feels British or is this a Telegraph trick - tmorrow's front Scottish page pic.twitter.com/8vxEtDh1n8
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

Why would you want any football club to go into administration?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Harry Smith ‏@stvharry 1m
    Which part of Alec feels British or is this a Telegraph trick - tmorrow's front Scottish page pic.twitter.com/8vxEtDh1n8

Probably in the same way Norweigans feel Scandinavian
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

He could be a Hibs fan
  • Options

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

He could be a Hibs fan
    Why on earth would anyone want their arch rivals to go into administration?

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

He could be a Hibs fan

Football fans are a bit obsessive.

I knew a few Manchester United and Everton fans who were very upset that Liverpool didn't slip into administration a few years ago.

Edit: and I'm sure Celtic fans were really upset when Rangers went into administration/liquidation last year.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

He could be a Hibs fan

Especially rivals who humiliated Hibs 5-1 in the biggest Edinburgh Derby of all time! Still I'm sure we'll be fine - a few interested parties already! And to be fair we've got supporters from Labour, the Tories and the Lib dems as well.
  • Options
    re: US and EU, Americans tend to be reflexive pro-Euro? Why? Because we think in terms of "United States of Europe".

Not only do we believe that imitation is sincerest form of flattery, we tend to assume that a united (or even semi-unted) Europe = less war. We think that not only good for us, but also for our distant relations from Moscow to Madera whose immediate ancestors were NOT smart/lucky enough to immigrate to this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific).
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

He could be a Hibs fan

I knew a few Manchester United and Everton fans who were very upset that Liverpool didn't slip into administration a few years ago.

Edit: and I'm sure Celtic fans were really upset when Rangers went into administration/liquidation last year.
    I'm a football fan and I wouldn't wish that on our rivals. Those rivalries make football what it is.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

He could be a Hibs fan

I'm a football fan and I wouldn't wish that on our rivals. Those rivalries make football what it is.
    I agree, but some football fans aren't rational, i think the word schadenfreude applies in this instance.
  • Options
    re: football (nonUS-style) attended my first pro soccer game last week. And Seattle Sounders won - my aura (or is that odor?) is strong!

BTW, while I was strolling from the bus to the stadium (Qwest Field > Century Link Field aka "The Clink" or as I prefer "Taxpayers Park") there was a group of obviously English fans singing "You Are My Sunshine" at top of their lugs. Was touched (as LSU grad) because that song was written by former Louisiana Governor the late Jimmy Davis. Even if t Brits do NOT know the proper tune!
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

He could be a Hibs fan

Couldn't agree more. Hibs have provided Hearts fans with far more joy than pain in my 32 years on this planet
  • Options
    Brazilians show how to get cheaper public transport costs.
  • Options
    I see George Osborne has declared that the economy is out of the danger zone. Again. He's in danger of predicting 7 of the last 2 recoveries.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    'EXCL: Barack Obama called George Osborne 'Jeffrey' by mistake 3 times at the G8 summit - a crushing blow to the Chancellor's ego.' tomnewtondunn

'Jeffrey'??? Is Cameron Bungle?
  • Options
    Neil said:

I see George Osborne has declared that the economy is out of the danger zone. Again. He's in danger of predicting 7 of the last 2 recoveries.

George Osborne was the victim of an unlikely case of mistaken identity at this week’s G8 summit, after US President Barack Obama confused the chancellor with a black soul singer.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cdc9b766-d90a-11e2-a6cf-00144feab7de.html#axzz2WhURKYA0
  • Options
    @TSE

Poor George, he should let someone else do the Mansion House gig for him. Black or white tie is not a good look for him.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,212
    Our banks are still seriously undercapitalised: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10130926/RBS-Lloyds-and-Barclays-make-up-
    Worst of the bunch is of course RBS which still needs between £10 and 12bn to cover bad loans. . Osborne admits that with the benefit of hindsight it should have been broken into good bank/bad bank in 2008. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/10130925/Lloyds-privatisation-is-active-says-G

Anyone still think it was a bad idea to get rid of Hester? He has fought these ideas tooth and nail for years now. RBS was terminally sick and if there were not a crop of Labour seats at risk in Scotland it would have been wound down at the time. Better late than never.
  • Options

I dont wish ill but Hearts have been bust for months - the owner is on the run in Moscow.

The SFA have allowed another fine club to be pillaged by crooks.

The Scottish government are hiding again on the governance of the game.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

He could be a Hibs fan

Liverpool is a special case for lots of obvious reasons.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

re: football (nonUS-style) attended my first pro soccer game last week. And Seattle Sounders won - my aura (or is that odor?) is strong!

BTW, while I was strolling from the bus to the stadium (Qwest Field > Century Link Field aka "The Clink" or as I prefer "Taxpayers Park") there was a group of obviously English fans singing "You Are My Sunshine" at top of their lugs. Was touched (as LSU grad) because that song was written by former Louisiana Governor the late Jimmy Davis. Even if t Brits do NOT know the proper tune!

You almost certainly encountered a Timbers Army splinter group ;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbers_Army
  • Options
    Carola said:

'EXCL: Barack Obama called George Osborne 'Jeffrey' by mistake 3 times at the G8 summit - a crushing blow to the Chancellor's ego.' tomnewtondunn

Liam Byrne being Zippy, natch :)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I dont wish ill but Hearts have been bust for months - the owner is on the run in Moscow.

The SFA have allowed another fine club to be pillaged by crooks.

The Scottish government are hiding again on the governance of the game.

I don't honestly think that Hearts and Rangers have anyone but themselves to blame. I loved parts of the Romanov years but it's come back to bite us. A CVA looks a distinct possibility now and it'll be one of the best things to happen to the club in years if it goes through.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,938
    Off-topic:

There's been a little discussion on here recently about the new gaming consoles, and especially MS's restrictions on their new XBox One.

Well, they appear to have backed down from some of the worst items. In particular, there will be no need for an Internet connection:
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Possibly too little, too late. It's been terrible PR for MS.
  • Options
    The Labour uncut article referred to in the thread header is definitely worth a read. http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2013/06/18/labour-is-still-headed-for-trouble-in-next-week’s-spending-review/

To me it shows how demoralised and despairing the party is becomming despite the poll leads. The article is essentially an acknowledgement that Osborne has won the argument. The suggestion that additional capital spending of £10bn (comfortably less than 1 week's spending) is going to make a measurable difference to the economy is frankly pitiful.

And they still haven't even begun to say where their cuts (so much nicer than George's of course) are actually going to fall.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Minor but sloppy gaffe by Obama .
    Nothing compared to this all time clanger ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgG8nX58gnA
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,056
    Random's analysis is so accurate it deserves repeating:

" Perhaps, if you genuinely believe that the best way of getting a referendum is voting for a Conservative government led by David Cameron. If you do not - if you believe that Cameron is carefully phrasing his promises now so that he can renege on the spirit of them while honouring the letter (like he did over Lisbon) - then voting Conservative would be a major mistake. All it will do is encourage the likes of Cameron to believe that "I support a referendum in principle, but now is not the right time/this is not the right issue" is a viable strategy. If you want an actual referendum, then (assuming a UKIP majority is impractical) then Cameron needs to be beaten, and more so he needs to be beaten in such a way that the Conservative party understands they will never win again until they give us a leader who gets it. Yes, this means that we won't get a referendum before the 2020 election, sadly. But if we enable Cameron and his "yes, but" style we will never get one because we will alternate between prime ministers who are opposed in principle to a referendum and prime ministers who believe that the right time for a referendum is always some years in the future.

Now it's possible I'm completely wrong on this and misjudging Cameron's character, but I would venture to suggest that his track record so far is a better fit for my position than it is for yours. "

The chances of a Cameron government ever allowing a British exit from the EU is nil.

In the highly unlikely event of a Cameron government (which itself is unlikely enough after 2015) allowing an EU referendum there would be zero chance of it following through on a No vote (assuming that was the result).

Instead we'd have a weasel-words fest of 'clarification' and 'negotiation' and 'interpretation' and 'confirmation' which would be dragged along until the following general election.

The only way in which Britain would leave the EU would be under a government of Conservatives purged of the chumocracy, a UKIP government or a coalition of the two.

This can only be achieved by the Conservatives losing in 2015 and the Cameroons being seen to have failed.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola said:

My dad's bigger than your dad.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

My dad's bigger than your dad.
    If George Bush had called Brown , Gerry Brown or Blair , Terry Blair , it would have been used as further evidence of Bush's idiocy.

• Options
    Reluctant admission by Newsnight that Osborne is changing the shape and size of government and already setting the agenda beyond the next election. This is part of what Labour Uncut are talking about.
  • Options
    I must say I was amused to be described by Avery as a 'Lincolnshire misanthrope'.

It seems that Charles is not the only posh boy with a dodgy knowledge of English geography.

Further down the intellectual foodchain Perdix had a go at me.

Anyone who attempts some original analysis runs that risk from one group of cheerleaders or another. I suspect its not a risk Perdix will ever need to concern himself with here though.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013

Off-topic:

There's been a little discussion on here recently about the new gaming consoles, and especially MS's restrictions on their new XBox One.

Well, they appear to have backed down from some of the worst items. In particular, there will be no need for an Internet connection:
    http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

Possibly too little, too late. It's been terrible PR for MS.

Mattrick's job was on the line. He had very little option as the PS4 pre-orders piled up and Sony had basically sold out it's first initial production run for end of Q4 beginning of Q1:14

Even more mad than 'always on' and the rented/used issue (hard to believe something could be, but it was) Microsoft had actually announced putting in a region lock that would have shut out almost half of the EU, many other countries and a truly massive potential user base. That too has now been reversed after baffled incredulity from the industry that it was ever planned in the first place.

It may indeed be too little too late since even after this they are still well behind Sony on the crucial retail price point. The momentum Sony now have also matters hugely as the rise of online gaming means console gamers tend to have social groupings they play online with, so they will go where their friends are going, which right now is still Sony.

• Options
    @DavidL

I'm waiting for the complaints of BBC bias - a Tory, a rightwinger and a Labourite? This lack of balance would normally have people foaming at the mouth here!
  • Options

I must say I was amused to be described by Avery as a 'Lincolnshire misanthrope'.

It seems that Charles is not the only posh boy with a dodgy knowledge of English geography.

Anyone who attempts some original analysis runs that risk from one group of cheerleaders or another. I suspect its not a risk Perdix will ever need to concern himself with here though.

I thought you were a Yorkshireman.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

" Perhaps, if you genuinely believe that the best way of getting a referendum is voting for a Conservative government led by David Cameron. If you do not - if you believe that Cameron is carefully phrasing his promises now so that he can renege on the spirit of them while honouring the letter (like he did over Lisbon) - then voting Conservative would be a major mistake. All it will do is encourage the likes of Cameron to believe that "I support a referendum in principle, but now is not the right time/this is not the right issue" is a viable strategy. If you want an actual referendum, then (assuming a UKIP majority is impractical) then Cameron needs to be beaten, and more so he needs to be beaten in such a way that the Conservative party understands they will never win again until they give us a leader who gets it. Yes, this means that we won't get a referendum before the 2020 election, sadly. But if we enable Cameron and his "yes, but" style we will never get one because we will alternate between prime ministers who are opposed in principle to a referendum and prime ministers who believe that the right time for a referendum is always some years in the future.

Now it's possible I'm completely wrong on this and misjudging Cameron's character, but I would venture to suggest that his track record so far is a better fit for my position than it is for yours. "

The chances of a Cameron government ever allowing a British exit from the EU is nil.

In the highly unlikely event of a Cameron government (which itself is unlikely enough after 2015) allowing an EU referendum there would be zero chance of it following through on a No vote (assuming that was the result).

Instead we'd have a weasel-words fest of 'clarification' and 'negotiation' and 'interpretation' and 'confirmation' which would be dragged along until the following general election.

The only way in which Britain would leave the EU would be under a government of Conservatives purged of the chumocracy, a UKIP government or a coalition of the two.

This can only be achieved by the Conservatives losing in 2015 and the Cameroons being seen to have failed.

The downside is huge, the upside limited. But you are a true believer.

As an aside, reading a book I think you'd enjoy (I believe that Socrates may have recommended it originally?).

Called 'Deer Hunting with Jesus' - describes many of the same phenomena that you observe in the UK. The tone is a little sneery at time (disappointing - I guess the author can't quite help himself) but interesting & thought-provoking if you can get past that

http://www.amazon.com/Deer-Hunting-Jesus-Dispatches-Americas/dp/0307339378
  • Options
    Sadly the rightwinger on Newsnight isnt the cleverest - she thinks the Coalition's single-tier State Pension of 144 per week will cost money when it will save billions.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Neil said:

Sadly the rightwinger on Newsnight isnt the cleverest - she thinks the Coalition's single-tier State Pension of 144 per week will cost money when it will save billions.

another_richard would assume she knows, but is lying to the masses so they think the Tories care about them...
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

another richard was relocated to Lincolnshire on the grounds that a "Yorkshire misanthrope" would be tautological.

The choice of the fine county of Lincolnshire was influenced by ar's love of Cleethorpes.

Truth revealed in art always trumps geographical exactitude.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

another richard was relocated to Lincolnshire on the grounds that a "Yorkshire misanthrope" would be tautological.

The choice of the fine county of Lincolnshire was influenced by ar's love of Cleethorpes.

I'm the epitome of a Yorkshireman and I'm no misanthrope.
  • Options
    tim said:

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF is a very bitter Rangers fan.
    I'm surprised he isn't lobbying for Dalglish to take over at Celtic and work his transfer magic.
    Another Scottish Tory! All three of them post on here!
  • Options

There is me thinking it just a description of Morden. Anywhere else is a good destination.

• Options
    Neil said:

@DavidL

I'm waiting for the complaints of BBC bias - a Tory, a rightwinger and a Labourite? This lack of balance would normally have people foaming at the mouth here!

Did you get more on this after we moved to muppet Scotland?

The bit I saw talked about managed expenditure but didn't go into detail on pensions etc. The suggestions as to how this managed expenditure ( a highly misleading term of course) was going to be cut to save the poor departments was not gone into.

There are clearly going to be a lot of losers as well as gainers in the new fixed level pension, specifically higher wage earners who would previously have expected higher pensions from their additional contributions. Presumably there will be admin savings too. Are you sure the net effect will be billions of savings? Does that reflect the changes in the age of entitlement?

• Options
    Carola said:

Geoffrey is the name of the English butler in Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Perhaps when Cameron and Osborne turned up at the White House in 2012 Obama thought that Osborne was Cameron's butler ?

Polishing shoes and pouring drinks being closer to Osborne's ability range than understanding national finances.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Are you sure the net effect will be billions of savings?

Yes - in the short, medium and long-term. And it's not a redistribute from high earners to low earners thing. It's redistribute from people with no pension provision to people in public service pension schemes. Exactly the kind of thing that pbers will just love when they find out the details!

• Options
    Neil said:

DavidL said:

Yes - in the short, medium and long-term. And it's not a redistribute from high earners to low earners thing. It's redistribute from people with no pension provision to people in public service pension schemes. Exactly the kind of thing that pbers will just love when they find out the details!

What's your prediction for the Lions match on Saturday?

Now that the vile cheat Cian Healy is out, I'm cheering for the Lions.
  • Options
    @TSE

I think the Lions will do it. But I'm an optimistic guy!
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited June 2013

AveryLP said:

You and Morris Dancer are exceptions to the rule, TSE.

• Options
    edited June 2013

Carola said:

Perhaps when Cameron and Osborne turned up at the White House in 2012 Obama thought that Osborne was Cameron's butler ?

Polishing shoes and pouring drinks being closer to Osborne's ability range than understanding national finances.
    In the American psyche an English butler is associated with masterful figures like Jeeves or Sir John Gielgud. Obama may have been subconsciously complimenting Osborne.

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,809
    Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

If you want to avoid administration, then just pay your f___ing debts !
  • Options
    Charles said:

What's the downside ?

A Labour government ?

We had one for 13 years - it was led by Tony Blair, the same Tony Blair Cameron saw himself as the natural heir to. It had Gordon Brown as Chancellor, the same Gordon Brown whose spending plans Osborne supported.

I'm sorry Charles but I see no possibility of integrity in government, economic responsibility or concern about increasing inequality from the Cameroons.

So I'm willing for EdM to become prime minister - things need to get worse before they can get better and I'd prefer that it was the Labour brand which was damaged as a consequence. And hopefully in the meantime the Conservatives can get a leadership of people who don't regard government as a puerile game.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

If you want to avoid administration, then just pay your f___ing debts !
    Well they aren't the fans' debts, are they? Many clubs are being run into the ground by irresponsible megalomaniac owners and there's very little the supporters can do

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,551
    Am I the only person who found the dress code at the G8 a bit sinister? Identical white shirts and black suits without ties for everyone (apart from Merkel).
  • Options

Neil said:

DavidL said:

I like my rugby and I'll follow the tour, but I don't really see the logic of the British Lions - a sort of quasi-international exhibition side. It would be rather odd if the Aussies and Kiwis joined forces and toured here.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Neil said:

another_richard would assume she knows, but is lying to the masses so they think the Tories care about them...
    Charles, I've read that comment several times without being able to understand your meaning.

Now that can sometimes happen at PB but its a little disconcerting when you happen to be referenced in the comment.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

I like my rugby and I'll follow the tour, but I don't really see the logic of the British Lions - a sort of quasi-international exhibition side. It would be rather odd if the Aussies and Kiwis joined forces and toured here.
    I suppose you're against the West Indies cricket team then ?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

The purpose of the British and Irish Lions is to allow the Irish, Scots and Welsh players to get some experience of playing alongside world class players that the English produce.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Recite in Monty Python Yorkshire accent:

See all, hear all, say nowt.
    Eat all, drink all, pay nowt.
    And if you ever do owt for nowt them make sure its for yourself.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

I suppose you're against the West Indies cricket team then ?
    Not at all - the Windies are a tournament and Test side - their contingent parts don't split up to play internationals.

I should add that I am not "against" the Lions - merely that I find their existence illogical. That's quite a different thing...

• Options
    Wasn't it 'British Lions' until 10 years or so ago ?

I'm sure I never heard the painfully long name of 'British and Irish Lions' until then.
  • Options

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

The purpose of the British and Irish Lions is to allow the Irish, Scots and Welsh players to get some experience of playing alongside world class players that the English produce.
    When you put it like that... :-)

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Am I the only person who found the dress code at the G8 a bit sinister? Identical white shirts and black suits without ties for everyone (apart from Merkel).

Was Merkel told to wear a tie? :)
  • Options

Charles said:

Neil said:

Charles, I've read that comment several times without being able to understand your meaning.

Now that can sometimes happen at PB but its a little disconcerting when you happen to be referenced in the comment.
    I didn't understand that either. And good night.

• Options

Carola said:

In the American psyche an English butler is associated with masterful figures like Jeeves or Sir John Gielgud. Obama may have been subconsciously complimenting Osborne.

If so then it suggests Obama holds Cameron in low regard.

I have remarked before on the similarities between Bertie, Barmy, Bingo, Tuppy and Gussy compared to Cammy, Ozzy, Ollie, Franny and Jez.

One lot are rather likeable though and the other isn't.
  • Options

I'm sure I never heard the painfully long name of 'British and Irish Lions' until then.

Quite soon it might be " The British and Irish and Scottish too Lions ".

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

In the last 75 years, only two Englishman have ever been named captain of the Lions. (9 Irish, 5 Welsh, 4 Scots).

It's basically a nice way of getting English players front row seats to watch rugby, more recently it's a way for them to play on the same pitch as the Welsh players and still have a chance of winning.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

Andy_JS said:

Was Merkel told to wear a tie? :)
    I thought it all rather naff, either wear a tie with your suit, or go properly dressed down.

It was perhaps a way to make Hollande look a fool, not that it takes much.
  • Options

I've always known the team as the British and Irish Lions (I can remember the 1989 tour) but then I was raised in Ireland! I dont think it's as much painfully long as it is accurate, Irish players do make an important contribution.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

In the last 75 years, only two Englishman have ever been named captain of the Lions. (9 Irish, 5 Welsh, 4 Scots).

It's basically a nice way of getting English players front row seats to watch rugby, more recently it's a way for them to play on the same pitch as the Welsh players and still have a chance of winning.
    The last winning captain of the Lions was an Englishman of course, who went on to win the World Cup.
  • Options
    @TSE

Of course the first ever English captain of the Lions died on tour...
  • Options
    Times saying Youngs ahead of Hibbard for the first test
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited June 2013

Charles said:

What's the downside ?

A Labour government ?

We had one for 13 years - it was led by Tony Blair, the same Tony Blair Cameron saw himself as the natural heir to. It had Gordon Brown as Chancellor, the same Gordon Brown whose spending plans Osborne supported.

I'm sorry Charles but I see no possibility of integrity in government, economic responsibility or concern about increasing inequality from the Cameroons.

So I'm willing for EdM to become prime minister - things need to get worse before they can get better and I'd prefer that it was the Labour brand which was damaged as a consequence. And hopefully in the meantime the Conservatives can get a leadership of people who don't regard government as a puerile game.
    Why on earth don't you believe Cast Iron Cammie? You seem to be implying that tory eurosceptics are hilariously gullible fools.

Nothing could be further from the truth as this proves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ2n7oMcSi0

Expect a few word changes to IN/OUT referendum so that will then become his election broadcast for the 2014 EU elections too. And they'll fall for it yet again as they always do.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

corporeal said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

The last winning captain of the Lions was an Englishman of course, who went on to win the World Cup.

Was also the last English captain to win a Six Nations grand slam. How fast a decade goes by.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

Was also the last English captain to win a Six Nations grand slam. How fast a decade goes by.
    Bring back Jack Rowell, we used to win the Grand Slam under him every year.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    corporeal said:

corporeal said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

Bobajob said:

Neil said:

DavidL said:

When was the last time Wales did this to the All Blacks ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiQur_Rehnc

In fact , when is the last time Wales beat the All Blacks ?
  • Options

There is me thinking it just a description of Morden. Anywhere else is a good destination.

The riddle was from the movie Inception.
  • Options
    The Japan - Italy game cannot get any more ridiculous.
This discussion has been closed.