Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final spread levels on general election day had a CON l

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The final spread levels on general election day had a CON lead of 19 seats, 80 seats short of what actually happened

My understanding is that there was a huge panic on the afternoon of May 7th which led to a huge amount of selling by punters who had long CON buy and LAB sell positions. This led to a change in the prices reducing the CON lead on the market from 25 seats to 19 seats.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    There's a big Pew Research poll out on Europe: http://www.pewglobal.org/2015/06/02/faith-in-european-project-reviving/

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    Fortunes to be made and lost that day. If you'd had put a gun to my head on the day I'd have probably either bought Labour or sold the Lib Dems at the prices. I wouldn't have been very confident about where the value lay though.

An interesting market on the day which I had a tickle in was selling Alex Salmond's % - I thought Miliband and Cameron were shoo ins to get more than him, and the bet was more or less level providing at least one of them did. Far easier market to make money from than this one.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    The change on the day smacks of incorrect rumours either from tellers/GOTV figures or from the exit polling (either the official one or YouGov's exercise).
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    It is surprising, given that several Tories have said they did know which way the wind was blowing, that very little of this leaked into the betting markets (or the media, even). A lot of us were betting on Cameron=PM out of instinct but there were apparently people who had more than instinct to go on. Did some of those people just keep it to themselves and make a lot of money, or are they being disingenuous when they say there was plenty of internal data to say that the Tories would win?
  • Options
    Dadge said:

or are they being disingenuous when they say there was plenty of internal data to say that the Tories would win?

You never know if the internal data is correct till the event though.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The change on the day smacks of incorrect rumours either from tellers/GOTV figures or from the exit polling (either the official one or YouGov's exercise).

The rumours might even have been right, depending if the weight of votes changed through the day.

Again, though, these betting moves do suggest an element of revisionism in the claims that everyone with a blue rosette always knew they were cruising to victory.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

It is surprising, given that several Tories have said they did know which way the wind was blowing, that very little of this leaked into the betting markets (or the media, even). A lot of us were betting on Cameron=PM out of instinct but there were apparently people who had more than instinct to go on. Did some of those people just keep it to themselves and make a lot of money, or are they being disingenuous when they say there was plenty of internal data to say that the Tories would win?

One of my colleagues is friends with Marcus Fysh. He did not expect to become MP for Yeovil.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Just another day at Fifa: $250k bribe emerges amid claim Blatter 'had an affair with Ronaldo's ex'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fifa/11653273/Fifa-scandal-live.html
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Plato said:

Can we clone you?

:)

I think one version of me is more than enough for the world!

You have hit the nail on the head there, the crucial thing that is missing is problem solving. When I studied for my A-Levels, especially subjects like Maths and Further Maths, that was where all the marks where. Each Further Maths paper was only a handful of questions, a problem was stated and the question was simply "solve"....You were required to understand what the problem was actually about, state assumptions you were going to make, and then solve using a number of interconnected techniques. The marks were heavily weighted to the problem solving and showing of working aspects, with the correct answer only being part of this.

Now, many questions are very guided. This is a huge issue. When people say standards haven't slipped, kids learn just the same stuff as 20-30 years ago. What they don't talk about his

a) A narrow focus on specific parts of a subject
    b) How repetitive the tests are from year to year
    c) How guided the questions are.

The problems are broken down in to lots of small sub-parts, where they are so guided there isn't any requirement to problem solve or work out which of the fundamental principles are required. It either states what you need to use or it is blindingly obvious.

The exam past papers really are repetitive. They love questions such as:

- on driving, figuring out the average speed/how many miles someone went et al
    - a question on ingredients 'does xyz have enough ingredients to make say, 16 cakes'
    - tangent to a circle
    - nth term
    -stratified sampling
    - cumulative frequency
    -box plots

You know that these kinds of questions are a dead on certainty to come up in the exam. It's like other topics are invisible to examiners.

Algebra is one of the biggest topics, where you are encouraged to see factorisation, quadratics, substitution, expressions etc. all as unique little subjects, rather than interconnected. It's why, I suspect many get the basics of all Maths topics - but understanding the more advanced stuff is where they fall down.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    That reminds me of all the Kipper councilors who discovered they'd another job last locals.
    rcs1000 said:

Dadge said:

One of my colleagues is friends with Marcus Fysh. He did not expect to become MP for Yeovil.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I believe that the Conservatives thought that they were doing better than the polls suggested and that Labour thought that they were doing worse than the polls suggested. I do not believe that either of them expected the Conservatives to get an overall majority.
  • Options
    What is it? Says Error Has Occurred.
    rcs1000 said:

Has everyone seen this:

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    One MP, who shall be nameless, placed (via a friend) a chunky bet on himself to win, and used the winnings to give bonuses to his campaign staff.
  • Options
    Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

Has everyone seen this:

I've changed it. It should work now.

It's a video from a German comedy show about Brexit.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Oh err

Wilders to show cartoons of Prophet on Dutch TV http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article4460745.ece

Dutch broadcasting authorities can't stop him as it'll be in a PPB.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fortunes to be made and lost that day.

Indeed, I did both, though not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    One day, someone will cite this titan of political commentary as a seer.

http://order-order.com/2015/06/05/loony-milifan-ed-miliband-is-too-good-for-this-fking-country/

LIKE YOU KNOW ITS SOOOOO NOT FAIR....IT ISN'T....NEXT THEY WILL ASK ME TO DO A F##KING QUESTION I HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE IN MY GCSE MATHS...

• Options

One MP, who shall be nameless, placed (via a friend) a chunky bet on himself to win, and used the winnings to give bonuses to his campaign staff.

I'm assuming it wasn't David Laws...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Have all the brain dead ring wing loonies from last thread taken their medication and went for a lie down. For supposedly educated people the ignorance is quite amazing. Hopefully none of them are in control of anything important.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The We're All Gobsmacked market between about 22:01 and 05:00 seems like the one to be awake for.

Pulpstar said:

Fortunes to be made and lost that day.

Indeed, I did both, though not necessarily in that order.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    OT: I do think it's a bit rich to criticize the spread markets for getting the election result wrong. People in glass houses....... :)
  • Options
    Someone mentioned that @isam hasn't posted in a while. Was it my imagination, or did he say that he usually bets about £75k pw on sports and makes about £9k from it?

That's a tremendous return.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Someone mentioned that @isam hasn't posted in a while. Was it my imagination, or did he say that he usually bets about £75k pw on sports and makes about £9k from it?

That seems a very high return. I know quite a few professional gamblers, and they all need large floats to deal with the volatility, and I doubt any of them have expected returns on (the majority of) individual bets of more than a couple of percent.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

That seems a very high return. I know quite a few professional gamblers, and they all need large floats to deal with the volatility, and I doubt any of them have expected returns on (the majority of) individual bets of more than a couple of percent.
    I can't imagine doing it professionally, profitable hobby/semi-pro is far easier.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Oh err

Wilders to show cartoons of Prophet on Dutch TV http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/faith/article4460745.ece

Dutch broadcasting authorities can't stop him as it'll be in a PPB.

The PVV have slipped from first to fourth in the Dutch opinion polls, so I think he's just trying to get some attention :-)

(As the Netherlands has four parties all with around 20% vote shares, this is not a big percentage drop.)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    So in two of the last three general elections the spreads have overestimated Labour and underestimated the Tories.

Probably ends the meme that the spreads are dominated by rich over optimistic Tories.

FWIW I was confident of the Tories winning the most seats and votes for a while, somewhere around 305/310 seats.

Even when a Tory majority seemed likely betfair still had a Tory majority at around 2.95.
  • Options
    A lot of punters seem reluctant to play the spreads due to the potential losses. Can anyone provide a crib to help those unfamiliar with them?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    Plato said:

I remember a post from him that said that on the election he was about 5k invested and made 1700 profit. He then compared to his betting on football which was I think 27k that week and 4k profit.
    I would love to know how he gets that much on, given how quick the online bookies are to close down anyone who is routinely profitable. I assume his syndicate must have to go either into shops with bundles of cash or hang around racecourses?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Did OGH trade out of his Spin positions or just take the big hit?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

rcs1000 said:

Has everyone seen this:

I've changed it. It should work now.

It's a video from a German comedy show about Brexit.
    I think 'comedy' perhaps overstates the case.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Things are getting stranger by the minute. It now emerges that, according to Spanish paper El Mundo, Sepp Blatter had an affair with Irina Shayk. Yes, Cristiano Ronaldo's ex. Supposedly this was before Shayk and Ronaldo got together but this is still one hell of a claim."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/fifa/11653273/Fifa-scandal-live.html
  • Options
    Whatever the precise wagers - the return was stunning. IIRC he can't bet online at all. He used to work for IG IIRC.
    Sandpit said:

Plato said:

I remember a post from him that said that on the election he was about 5k invested and made 1700 profit. He then compared to his betting on football which was I think 27k that week and 4k profit.
    I would love to know how he gets that much on, given how quick the online bookies are to close down anyone who is routinely profitable. I assume his syndicate must have to go either into shops with bundles of cash or hang around racecourses?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Sandpit said:

Plato said:

For those that don't know about the world of sports betting, google Billy Walters, and see the lengths he has to go to just to get bets on.

If you want a really fascinating glimpse into this crazy world, do some reading about Haralabos Voulgaris, one of the worlds most successful basketball bettors.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Well, as the old gag goes, a German joke is no laughing matter.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Golly http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12280555/how-billy-walters-became-sports-most-successful-controversial-bettor
    What's clear, according to dozens of interviews and thousands of pages of legal documents, is that Walters beats the odds everywhere -- in the stock market, real estate, criminal proceedings and his true wheelhouse, sports gambling. His talent brought him from a life of poverty in rural Kentucky to one of wild success. He owns a fleet of car dealerships, several high-end golf courses, a private jet and fabulous homes in places like Palm Desert and Cabo San Lucas.
    EVEN THE GREATEST gambler of all time doesn't always win -- but he doesn't have to. In the sports gambling world, where the house takes a 10 percent cut, bettors need to win 52.38 percent of their games to break even. Any additional wins represent pure profit -- and when hundreds of thousands of dollars are wagered on a single game, lots of it. "The average guy on the street might be disillusioned if he knew the actual winning percentage," Malinsky says of Walters' consistent but seemingly modest success against the line. "What people don't understand is that the difference between winning 53 percent and 55 percent is like swimming the Atlantic Ocean."

Sandpit said:

Plato said:

For those that don't know about the world of sports betting, google Billy Walters, and see the lengths he has to go to just to get bets on.

If you want a really fascinating glimpse into this crazy world, do some reading about Haralabos Voulgaris, one of the worlds most successful basketball bettors.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Sepp Blatter had an affair with.....''

Seen the photos?? That takes 'punching above your weight' to a new level
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Plato said:

I can't imagine doing it professionally, profitable hobby/semi-pro is far easier.
    I did it for two years before going back to work and your second category. Like many people, I suspect, I have the skill but not the temperament. Finding winners is the easy part.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Interesting fact: the last time the BBC's exit poll predicted a Tory majority was 1987. They didn't do too well on that occasion either: they forecast it would be 26 when it was 102.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

On May7th, I began to think that Ed could fool enough of the people all of the time and I was totally wrong. But undaunted, I'm making a confident prediction about the referendum.

There are three main groupings among the voters. The federalists who welcome closer integration with the EU on all levels, the outers who want away and won't be interested in any titbits from Cameron, and finally, the largest group of all. These are the voters who like the idea of a common market, but may jib at the idea of political union. These are the decisive voters.

So it all depends on the honesty of the campaign. 'In' will major on the economic risks and the potential job losses, and may say nothing about the final destination. OUT will struggle on economics and will try to make the political intention stick.

I've been to EU meetings (on the science side) and the reasoning is that political union is necessary for "a level playing field". I've never seen that. Regulations and Directives made into UK law do not make a level playing field. Some countries sign up to these EU laws and enforce them. Some happily sign up to them with no intention of ever enforcing them. You can make a speed limit 30 mph but if everyone knows that it's never enforced, many will drive at any speed they like

Will the federalist talk about political union, their final goal? I doubt it. They will talk about economic risk. Political union? That will take massive treaty changes and will never happen. The honest ones will be drowned out.

So, in 2017, IN will win and it will be taken as the green light for closer integration.

Now, where are the best odds?

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,964

Come off it. Introduce a sausage into your sketch - you can't go wrong!
  • Options
    LOL
    AndyJS said:

Interesting fact: the last time the BBC's exit poll predicted a Tory majority was 1987. They didn't do too well on that occasion either: they forecast it would be 26 when it was 102.

• Options
    Plato said:
    Haralabos Voulgaris is perhaps more fascinating character, as he actually talks to the media and is very vocal / outspoken about the game of basketball.

"Haralabos Voulgaris is among them. He makes his living outsmarting oddsmakers. And his is a very comfortable living, indeed. One of a small handful of people who turns a large yearly profit betting solely on the NBA, Voulgaris is known to move the lines with his action, which can sometimes be as high as $80,000 a game. He has built up a network of employees, a database of statistics, and predictive models that far surpass what many NBA franchises have available to them. And aside from a small break he took from gambling a few years ago to try to land a job with a team, he has earned his living this way for over 15 years. Haralabos knows. And while he isn’t telling, he is talking."

http://www.businessinsider.com/sweat-in-the-game-a-gamblers-grind-in-the-nba-2011-4?IR=T
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    The downside with being an American bettor is that you have to pay tax on your winnings, whereas here in the UK it's tax free, (thanks to a legal ruling in the 1920s).
    Plato said:

Golly http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12280555/how-billy-walters-became-sports-most-successful-controversial-bettor

What's clear, according to dozens of interviews and thousands of pages of legal documents, is that Walters beats the odds everywhere -- in the stock market, real estate, criminal proceedings and his true wheelhouse, sports gambling. His talent brought him from a life of poverty in rural Kentucky to one of wild success. He owns a fleet of car dealerships, several high-end golf courses, a private jet and fabulous homes in places like Palm Desert and Cabo San Lucas.
    EVEN THE GREATEST gambler of all time doesn't always win -- but he doesn't have to. In the sports gambling world, where the house takes a 10 percent cut, bettors need to win 52.38 percent of their games to break even. Any additional wins represent pure profit -- and when hundreds of thousands of dollars are wagered on a single game, lots of it. "The average guy on the street might be disillusioned if he knew the actual winning percentage," Malinsky says of Walters' consistent but seemingly modest success against the line. "What people don't understand is that the difference between winning 53 percent and 55 percent is like swimming the Atlantic Ocean."

Sandpit said:

Plato said:

• Options
    80-1 !!

Christ someone's getting optimistic on Corbyn.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Proper Twitter bitch fight featuring Dan Hosges (peace be upon him) and Owen Jones taking place right now.
  • Options
    Also, despite all the acclaim they've had for the exit poll this time round, it's the furthest out they've been since 1992. I went to bed shortly after the poll, and when I woke up it was a rather unpleasant surprise to find out that we were heading for a Tory majority.
  • Options
    IIRC @Casino_Royale has made a bunch on playing poker - and hence his screen name.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I am puzzled by the MPs withdrawing support for Burnham and going for Corbyn. I don;t see what that move achieves at all.
  • Options
    @AndyJS American sports betting seems to contain horrendous over-rounds judging by the on screen prices on the US racing that betfair has markets on.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    taffys said:

I am puzzled by the MPs withdrawing support for Burnham and going for Corbyn. I don;t see what that move achieves at all.

Er...it achieves Corbyn on the ballot?
  • Options
    taffys said:

If you want a lefty, go for the real thing rather than the ersatz version.
  • Options
    Plato said:

IIRC @Casino_Royale has made a bunch on playing poker - and hence his screen name.

https://www.pokerstars.com/en/blog/2006/ept-dublin-no-blunders-from-blundell-032294.shtml

That's me blowing my chance to win a fortune at poker ;) I'd beaten odds of ~ 10,000-1 to win the seat though :D
  • Options
    ''Er...it achieves Corbyn on the ballot?''

Yebbut he can't win, right?? Plus you really annoy Burny and look very shifty into the bargain
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

Hahaha - very good.

Bit like the old -'People laughed when I told them I wanted to be a comedian - they're not laughing now!'
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    edited June 2015
    Plato said:

Whatever the precise wagers - the return was stunning. IIRC he can't bet online at all. He used to work for IG IIRC.

Sandpit said:

Plato said:

I found iSam's quote. He made a loss on the GE, but a fortune on the football!
    isam said:

Some perspective

My GE Betting
    Stake 4461.62
    Return 1759.03
    Profit -2682.59
    ROI -60%

Last weeks football betting
    Stake 68409.59
    Return 74595.91
    Profit 6186.32
    ROI 9%

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/677576/#Comment_677576

• Options
    taffys said:

''Er...it achieves Corbyn on the ballot?''

Yebbut he can't win, right?? Plus you really annoy Burny and look very shifty into the bargain

I think it helps Burnham. Stops him looking like the loony left.
  • Options
    Ex-Lib Dem leader Charles Kennedy died of a "major haemorrhage" linked to alcoholism, his family says
  • Options
    Great Google Fu - what a return
    Sandpit said:

Plato said:

Sandpit said:

Plato said:

I found iSam's quote. He made a loss on the GE, but a fortune on the football!
    isam said:

Some perspective

My GE Betting
    Stake 4461.62
    Return 1759.03
    Profit -2682.59
    ROI -60%

Last weeks football betting
    Stake 68409.59
    Return 74595.91
    Profit 6186.32
    ROI 9%

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/677576/#Comment_677576

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Pulpstar said:

Plato said:

https://www.pokerstars.com/en/blog/2006/ept-dublin-no-blunders-from-blundell-032294.shtml

That's me blowing my chance to win a fortune at poker ;) I'd beaten odds of ~ 10,000-1 to win the seat though :D
    Seriously impressed with that, Pulpstar. I make a modest profit at poker and am planning to visit Las Vegas for a break in August, but never made the big time: good at calculating odds, but not unpredictable enough. My first party agent back in 1997, Ian Oldershaw (really nice guy), won £100,000 at a poker tourney a few years later and resigned as a full-time agent to become a full-time player. I don't think he ever won big again, though, and I'm not sure if he's still doing it.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have just listened to the very moving tributes to Charles Kennedy delivered in Parliament on Wednesday.He was obviously a very genuine guy and greatly loved. I am glad I voted LibDem in 2001 and 2005 He was totally vindicated by events in Iraq. My only puzzle is why he - and Ming Campbell - failed to campaign for Blair to be indicted.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    On the one hand Corbyn makes Burnham look better. On the other hand it loses Burnham all the "loony left" that would have quietly voted for him as the least worst option. I#m not sure it's going to suit Burnham to fight Blairites and the old left at once.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Hodges: - The Labour party needs to stop pretending hard-Leftists like Corbyn or Owen Jones have anything relevant to contribute now Ed Miliband is gone.

Well worth a quick read.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11654167/Jeremy-Corbyn-and-his-acolytes-are-simply-in-denial.html
  • Options
    edited June 2015

The rumours might even have been right, depending if the weight of votes changed through the day.

Again, though, these betting moves do suggest an element of revisionism in the claims that everyone with a blue rosette always knew they were cruising to victory.
    I put my neck on the block a few days before the election on the Torbay result, saying I expected a Tory gain by 1,000 to 2,000 votes. In the end it was a somewhat healthier 3,200. And I did report on here that the Tory BattleBus canvassers had said that Cheltenham was looking very, very good and even that Yeovil was in play (but probably not won this time around...). I also reported that Gloucester was solidly safe.

We also had some excellent intel posted on here that Amber Valley and various adjoining East Midlands seats were looking very good for the Tories.

I also posted on here that CCHQ believed that The Gower was possible - another BattleBus destination, along with Brecon and Radnor.

That said, I was seriously amazed at how perfectly all the pieces fell into place....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,242
    taffys said:

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, it illustrates that there is a core of Lab MPs and supporters who continue to believe that Lab should make one more push leftwards.

And long may they be in the ascendancy.
  • Options
    Well worth a quick read.

Indeed. No wonder there was a twitter spat. Hodges proposes what labour should have done all along. Stop pretending the likes of Jones are mainstream.
  • Options
    As John Rentoul noted

"Veteran left-winger = daft as a brush for decades"
    TOPPING said:

taffys said:

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, it illustrates that there is a core of Lab MPs and supporters who continue to believe that Lab should make one more push leftwards.

And long may they be in the ascendancy.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    TWR Means he can be the unity candidate, re this morning's post Burnham leads with London voters though if that translates to London Labour members remains to be seen
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,012

On the one hand Corbyn makes Burnham look better. On the other hand it loses Burnham all the "loony left" that would have quietly voted for him as the least worst option. I#m not sure it's going to suit Burnham to fight Blairites and the old left at once.

It might present an opportunity for Kendall as her position on the relationship with the unions is subtly different to the classic New Labour view of Burnham and Cooper. Having a true left-wing candidate may bring out that distinction and help her pick up second preferences from unlikely quarters.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/05/letter-trade-unionist-britains-trade-unionists
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    edited June 2015
    Dadge said:

I think Mike's thread is, rather subtly, making this point.

Whoever knew about the massive Tory majority wasn't investing enough to move the markets, even though there was huge profit to be made.

At best, betting has poor predictive power because insiders prefer to keep their knowledge private in spite of strong returns from betting. Alternatively, those insiders didn't know there would be a majority at all.

I also find the Conservative campaign, and the manifesto, to have indicated an expectation of a protracted period of horse-trading if they won enough seats to return to government.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Presumably the more people participating in a market, the more chance it has of being right.

Is there any research on the size (or diversity) of a Crowd which can claim to have inherent Wisdom? I guess political betting types may not be numerous enough, and very possibly not representative enough of those going to actually participate in the election?

The spreads at GE2015 and GE2010 were wrong in opposite ways, and wrong by a distance as the thread points out.

Despite reading this site most days, I have never bet...this just makes it even less likely i ever will!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Just wanted to say how wrong I was for a comment I made last night, The Wisbech result was fascinating. I haven't seen any of the others...
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Plato said:

Can we clone you?

:)

I think one version of me is more than enough for the world!

You have hit the nail on the head there, the crucial thing that is missing is problem solving. When I studied for my A-Levels, especially subjects like Maths and Further Maths, that was where all the marks where. Each Further Maths paper was only a handful of questions, a problem was stated and the question was simply "solve"....You were required to understand what the problem was actually about, state assumptions you were going to make, and then solve using a number of interconnected techniques. The marks were heavily weighted to the problem solving and showing of working aspects, with the correct answer only being part of this.

Now, many questions are very guided. This is a huge issue. When people say standards haven't slipped, kids learn just the same stuff as 20-30 years ago. What they don't talk about his

a) A narrow focus on specific parts of a subject
    b) How repetitive the tests are from year to year
    c) How guided the questions are.

The problems are broken down in to lots of small sub-parts, where they are so guided there isn't any requirement to problem solve or work out which of the fundamental principles are required. It either states what you need to use or it is blindingly obvious.

The exam past papers really are repetitive. They love questions such as:

- on driving, figuring out the average speed/how many miles someone went et al
    - a question on ingredients 'does xyz have enough ingredients to make say, 16 cakes'
    - tangent to a circle
    - nth term
    -stratified sampling
    - cumulative frequency
    -box plots

You know that these kinds of questions are a dead on certainty to come up in the exam. It's like other topics are invisible to examiners.

Algebra is one of the biggest topics, where you are encouraged to see factorisation, quadratics, substitution, expressions etc. all as unique little subjects, rather than interconnected. It's why, I suspect many get the basics of all Maths topics - but understanding the more advanced stuff is where they fall down.
    I told my, then, teenage son, when taking him to maths Core 2 that the examiners loved cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) - and the idiot then forgot it when (inevitably) it came up.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

UK bookies close down professional action very quickly, but there are a number of online places that won't. Most are in Asia, SBO and maxbet (used to be called IBC) are the two big ones, and in the Caribbean there's Pinnacle. You can get thousands down on football there no problem, tens of thousands for major leagues on matchday. Combine multiple books, and agents, you can get 5x or 10x as much.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    taffys said:

Well worth a quick read.

Indeed. No wonder there was a twitter spat. Hodges proposes what labour should have done all along. Stop pretending the likes of Jones are mainstream.

I have no idea why Jones is employed as a pundit - there was a time when genuine young talent found it's way onto the news pages and broadcasts, now all you need is a kind of 'mockney' accent, a presence on twitter and the press are all over you like a rash. Jones one saving grace I suppose is that he made Miliband look as intelligent as he kept telling us he was... no wait, he didn't even succeed there. Both the Miliband's are vastly over-rated.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    EPG said:

Dadge said:

Whoever knew about the massive Tory majority wasn't investing enough to move the markets, even though there was huge profit to be made.

At best, betting has poor predictive power because insiders prefer to keep their knowledge private in spite of strong returns from betting. Alternatively, those insiders didn't know there would be a majority at all.

I also find the Conservative campaign, and the manifesto, to have indicated an expectation of a protracted period of horse-trading if they won enough seats to return to government.
    I don't think anyone expected the Tory Majority. [Its chief weapons were fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency.]

But do not underestimate how much the polling and the modelling was dragging the market back towards the centre - especially the weaker markets like constituencies and over/under lines.

The headline market of Tory Most Seats was (arguably) showing a much clearer win than the modelling and subsidiary markets (maybe 300-260) and the fact that a Tory Majority [also a highly liquid market] was always a respectable possibility (in the 5-10% range, true) was also at odds with the models quoting it at 0-1%.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

Presumably the more people participating in a market, the more chance it has of being right.

Is there any research on the size (or diversity) of a Crowd which can claim to have inherent Wisdom? I guess political betting types may not be numerous enough, and very possibly not representative enough of those going to actually participate in the election?

The spreads at GE2015 and GE2010 were wrong in opposite ways, and wrong by a distance as the thread points out.

Despite reading this site most days, I have never bet...this just makes it even less likely i ever will!

Hari Seldon has this down to a fine science - Foundation Trilogy (Asimov). I would suggest, however, that group wisdom is a function of external input
  • Options

I was like you until last year. I have been reading this site, but never bet (on politics - just rare and very low-stakes poker and racecourses for social compliance purposes!). However, it was pretty clear that there were ways to make money coming into this election from odd conflicts in the odds, particularly constituency betting, though again with pretty low stakes (sub-£1000 in total).
  • Options

EPG said:

Dadge said:

I don't think anyone expected the Tory Majority. [Its chief weapons were fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency.]

But do not underestimate how much the polling and the modelling was dragging the market back towards the centre - especially the weaker markets like constituencies and over/under lines.

The headline market of Tory Most Seats was (arguably) showing a much clearer win than the modelling and subsidiary markets (maybe 300-260) and the fact that a Tory Majority [also a highly liquid market] was always a respectable possibility (in the 5-10% range, true) was also at odds with the models quoting it at 0-1%.
    I wonder if people paid any attention to the models at all. I certainly did not, which was perhaps foolish, but there was no evidence they would beat UHNS* on average and to my mind that's still true. (*Uniform Home-National Swing!)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    EPG said:

I was like you until last year. I have been reading this site, but never bet (on politics - just rare and very low-stakes poker and racecourses for social compliance purposes!). However, it was pretty clear that there were ways to make money coming into this election from odd conflicts in the odds, particularly constituency betting, though again with pretty low stakes (sub-£1000 in total).
    The "smart" punters were busy swallowing Ashcroft, May2015, et al. and were mostly punting on more minor markets - Labour gains & Lib Dem holds and EICIPM. The less informed crowd was simply betting on a Tory win - some of them on a majority. Call it gut feel if you like.

This isn't always the case - even in 2015 there's the example of "smart" punters having their moment on the SNP while others subscribed to the more received wisdom that SLAB would be beaten, but not routed.
  • Options
    Spot on http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11654167/Jeremy-Corbyn-and-his-acolytes-are-simply-in-denial.html
    You know what would be in Labour’s interests? To finally end this charade. Stop pretending people like Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell and Owen Jones have anything at all constructive to contribute to how the Labour party actually wins general elections. Say from the outset “sorry, we’re not interested in being a glorified protest movement any more. You’ve had your fun. Now run along and play with Russell Brand ”. Or at the very least, have the guts to tell Corbyn and his acolytes, “if you want the nominations, you’re going to have to earn them like everyone else. You don’t get special dispensation just because you’ve got a copy of Das Kapital sitting on your shelf."
  • Options

Sandpit said:

UK bookies close down professional action very quickly, but there are a number of online places that won't. Most are in Asia, SBO and maxbet (used to be called IBC) are the two big ones, and in the Caribbean there's Pinnacle. You can get thousands down on football there no problem, tens of thousands for major leagues on matchday. Combine multiple books, and agents, you can get 5x or 10x as much.
    Pinnacle, at one time the world largest sports betting site, pulled out of the UK at the end of the last year. They have since been sold and talk of them returning to take bets from UK citizens, but nothing as of yet.
  • Options

EPG said:

Dadge said:

That is very fair. Who was going to put money on Amber Valley on the basis of a bloke on pb.com saying it was looking good, when Lord Ashcroft's constituency poll had Labour 10% - 13% ahead? Ditto on Torbay.

I wonder if in 2020, on-the-ground reports might carry a little more weight? Sure, they will go through the healthy skepticism filter. But there were nuggets of detail to be mined there.

• Options
    EdM going to Warks North was a massive red flag that was humpfed away as some *personal favour* to the candidate - yeah, right. Pfft.

Ditto Cameron hitting every LD seat in Surrey, Sussex and the SW.

EPG said:

Dadge said:

That is very fair. Who was going to put money on Amber Valley on the basis of a bloke on pb.com saying it was looking good, when Lord Ashcroft's constituency poll had Labour 10% - 13% ahead? Ditto on Torbay.

I wonder if in 2020, on-the-ground reports might carry a little more weight? Sure, they will go through the healthy skepticism filter. But there were nuggets of detail to be mined there.

• Options
    AnonEMouseAnonEMouse Posts: 3
    edited June 2015

Pinnacle, at one time the world largest sports betting site, pulled out of the UK at the end of the last year. They have since been sold and talk of them returning to take bets from UK citizens, but nothing as of yet.

Indeed, same with SBO and some of the maxbet providers. Agents make it easy to get around that though (ibc/maxbet an agent was already basically needed anyway)

Pinnacle will certainly be back though, just a matter of time - they're already setting it up legally. Their new owner also owns Sporting Index, btw.
  • Options

EPG said:

Dadge said:

Perhaps the really smart thing was to know that constituency polling is woeful. It was known before GE2010, it was woeful in Heywood and Middleton, and it was fairly mediocre in GE2015 too. I don't know if you would have won money by betting an appropriate stake on every Ashcroft Q1 outcome. Couldn't really be bothered to check.

I wonder if PB on-the-ground reports look prescient because of the Tory tendency among most active political people here. The Labour ones certainly weren't prescient.
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Dadge said:

Perhaps the really smart thing was to know that constituency polling is woeful. It was known before GE2010, it was woeful in Heywood and Middleton, and it was fairly mediocre in GE2015 too. I don't know if you would have won money by betting an appropriate stake on every Ashcroft Q1 outcome. Couldn't really be bothered to check.

I wonder if PB on-the-ground reports look prescient because of the Tory tendency among most active political people here. The Labour ones certainly weren't prescient.
    I seem to recall some post-mortem suggesting Q1 wasn't much better than Q2. But TSE is providing something more detailed soon.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

EPG said:

EPG said:

Dadge said:

I seem to recall some post-mortem suggesting Q1 wasn't much better than Q2. But TSE is providing something more detailed soon.
    Will this be before or after his magnum opus on AV we've all been promised? :D
  • Options
    Please note that the results for Rothwell Elections will be on the website as soon as possible after the results are declared on the afternoon of Friday 5th June.

Further information regarding the Rothwell Ward election and the Rothwell Town Council Tresham Ward election
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
  • Options
    Kettering BC ‏@KetteringBC 1m1 minute ago
    The result of yesterday's @KetteringBC election for the Rothwell Ward: TALBOT (CON), SUMPTER (CON), MILLS (LAB) elected. Turnout 31%
  • Options
    RobD said:

Will this be before or after his magnum opus on AV we've all been promised? :D

Assuming there's no major news on Saturday night or Sunday, you get my opus on AV on Sunday.

The Ashcroft analysis will be during my stint as guest editor in a few weeks time, is quite comprehensive, and will be split over several threads.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    On the referendum I was very much in favour of being 'In' but I think that there will be good arguments by both sides and I will only decide when I have considered all the pros and cons. I would suspect that a large part of the electorate are open to similar persuasion. On a separate topic the Queens Speech passed with a majority of 47. Does anyone know how a majority of 12 increased to 47.
  • Options
    TBH, I don't think it's because of the number of posters - but what we shared on here that stood out.

No Labourites could articulate what their policies were in a simple list. I copied one straight from an CCHQ email and stuck it on here. Was that LHQ failing to do the same for their ground troops or an unwillingness of Labourites to share? The former I suspect.

Surely Labour have spies on CCHQ mailing lists or they need shooting - we weren't sharing secrets, it was common knowledge - or should have been. 100 000 participated FFS.

Ditto Team2015 activity. We weren't shy to talk about our stuff. @MarqueeMark talked about his canvassing as did several others. Like @bunnco. Bar the rather wide of the mark reports from NPXXXMP, we had hardly a thing except the fantasies of @IOS

It strikes me that Labour navel-gazed a great deal and didn't have anywhere near the quality ground game they pretended to have/couldn't believe that anyone would volunteer for Team2015 who didn't have a blue rinse.

Very stupid. And conceited. I don't exempt the LDs from this either. We have a fair number on here and I don't recall anything much from them either.
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Dadge said:

snip
    snip

snip
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @schofieldkevin: Former Ed Miliband spinner Katie Myler will be director of communications for Andy Burnham's Labour leadership bid.

Awesome...
  • Options
    Plato said:

EdM going to Warks North was a massive red flag that was humpfed away as some *personal favour* to the candidate - yeah, right. Pfft.

I seem to recall that that was proof that DC isn't very good at politics, or indeed maths. Every seat they lost to Labour counted double so goodness only knows what he was doing in Twickenham!

:D
  • Options
    The Scouse Ed Miliband?

@schofieldkevin: Former Ed Miliband spinner Katie Myler will be director of communications for Andy Burnham's Labour leadership bid.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I think constituency polling is too difficult to do accurately. Just getting a sample of people who actually live in the constituency you're trying to poll is a tough job.
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Dadge said:

• Options

Plato said:

I seem to recall that that was proof that DC isn't very good at politics, or indeed maths. Every seat they lost to Labour counted double so goodness only knows what he was doing in Twickenham!

:D
    I suggested that instead of going there, Dave should have spent the final day campaigning in East Ham, Bootle and Banff & Buchan.

That would have confused everybody.

In hindsight, the worst thing that happened to the Lib Dems in the last parliament was the following

i) Winning the Eastleigh by election

ii) The Lord Ashcroft constituency polling

It gave the Lib Dems and others the perception of being bullet proof.
This discussion has been closed.