Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson: Tom Watson should be odds-on for LAB deputy

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Henry G Manson: Tom Watson should be odds-on for LAB deputy

I recently explained why I think Andy Burnham shouldn’t be priced as the odds on favourite for the Labour leadership contest. Looking at the Deputy race, I think the opposite is the case and that the current favourite Tom Watson should in fact be a good deal shorter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    So for the record the Henry G trifecta is : Cooper/Watson/Khan ?

• TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Curse of the PB thread: Watson cut to evens on Ladbrokes!
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Tom Watson: yuk!

Henry Manson may well be right but this seems to me to be Labour going back to the G Brown era.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    @Plato

Re Hotblack Desiato. The estate agent came first, and Douglas Adams thought it would be a brilliant name for a rock star. Of course: now people assume that the estate agent stole the name from Hitchiker's.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Cyclefree said:

Henry Manson may well be right but this seems to me to be Labour going back to the G Brown era.

A few of my friends know Tom Watson, and they speak very highly of him (as a human being, rather than as a politician).
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    £6.67 allowed on at Hills @ 6-4 ^_~
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,403
    As with the leadership, I want to see as many candidates on the ballot as possible. Come on PLP - share your nominations round to give the members a choice. Remember, we are the ones who give up our time to get you elected.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    As a former MP (who can reasonably be assumed to know a lot of members) I've heard from Watson, Healey and Creasy - no other deputy candidates have bothered, and locally we've heard most from Creasy. Watson is the long-standing familiar candidate, though, and I'm not surprised he's ahead on nominations. I also think that the 35 threshold is a challenge for most of the others, but the low number of nominations in total shows a lot of scope for a surge. If Creasy gets on the ballot (there will be grumbles from many of us if she isn't, as Danny565 said), I'd see her as the narrow favourite as the freshest face who members have actually heard good stuff about. I agree Watson and Flint are the favourites otherwise.

A complication is that the deadline for nomination is deliberately 2 days after the leader deadline - that means that e.g. Creagh could try to fall back on this if she *narrowly* misses the leader total. Some MPs may hold back on nominations to the last moment with that in mind.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2015
    If Labour want to convince the public they have changed, the last thing they want to do is have Tom Watson in a senior position.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Hillary's troubles continue. Now the right wing press has latched onto her personality, dubbing her Hillary Milhous Clinton:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-milhous-clinton-1433891790

Perhaps not as tricky as Dickie, but her favourables and character ratings are heading south.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

A few of my friends know Tom Watson, and they speak very highly of him (as a human being, rather than as a politician).
    Won't help Labour much in the Murdoch press though.

• watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Burnham/Watson or Cooper/Watson.

Well that will motivate the Tories to vote again in 2020. Yuk!
    edited June 2015
    Ali 10
    Bradshaw 13
    Creasy 10
    Eagle 10
    Flint 32
    Healey 18
    Watson 50

People themselves 7 (can you nominate another?)

Total 150
    Uncommitted 83

Looks like max 4 on the ballot.

If Labour want to convince the public they have changed, the last thing they want to do is have Tom Watson in a senior position.

I think he comes across pretty well TBH. He talks like a normal person. It's only dedicated right-wingers who loathe him.

• Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    As a Tory voter, I'd be more worried about Creasy or Flint than Watson (Brown reincarnate with a Midlands accent).

In fact, Creasy or Flint would be more credible leadership candidates than what we currently have before us - no doubt they're biding their time for 2020....
    MTimT said:

Hillary's troubles continue. Now the right wing press has latched onto her personality, dubbing her Hillary Milhous Clinton:

Perhaps not as tricky as Dickie, but her favourables and character ratings are heading south.

But aren't all the GOP candidates (excepting Pataki, who probably won't win the nomination) too bonkers to beat her?

Hardly a surprise to see WSJ attacking the Democrat frontrunner.

• john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Cyclefree

'Henry Manson may well be right but this seems to me to be Labour going back to the G Brown era.'

Spot on, far too much baggage from the Brown era and a reminder of the plotting and back-stabbing that went with it.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2015
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Watson makes Balls look appealing. Repellent throwback.
    john_zims said:

@Cyclefree

'Henry Manson may well be right but this seems to me to be Labour going back to the G Brown era.'

Spot on, far too much baggage from the Brown era and a reminder of the plotting and back-stabbing that went with it.

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,523
    Watson helped mortally wound Scottish Labour with the Falkirk scandal.

Imagine what he would do as deputy of the whole party?

Burnham and Watson: the Conservative party's wet dream combination. In that they pee themselves laughing ...
    Yup

Watson helped mortally wound Scottish Labour with the Falkirk scandal.

Imagine what he would do as deputy of the whole party?

Burnham and Watson: the Conservative party's wet dream combination. In that they pee themselves laughing ...

• FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Ghedebrav said:

I think he comes across pretty well TBH. He talks like a normal person. It's only dedicated right-wingers who loathe him.

Ghedebrav said:

The man who made a 200 mile detour to deliver a christmas present to the Brown's coincidentally on the same weekend as a plot to replace Blair, with Brown. He is normal all right.

Wasn't it Watson who made the excuse of delivering xmas presents to Brown's kids at the time of the coup..
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2015

Wasn't it Watson who made the excuse of delivering xmas presents to Brown's kids at the time of the coup..

Indeed.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/sep/11/uk.labourleadership3

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

The man who made a 200 mile detour to deliver a christmas present to the Brown's coincidentally on the same weekend as a plot to replace Blair, with Brown. He is normal all right.

I'm talking about perception not reality.
    McBride, Draper, Watson, Balls and Brown. Birds of a feather.

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Compelling reading in The Times today, as they start their in depth reporting on Labour's defeat. All the big names have been interviewed and many setting out in no uncertain times what went wrong (thank god they didn't have the courage to do so before the GE!)

Although it repeats some of what was in The Guardian last week, there are some great snippets, some of which put Ed Balls in a more favourable light, apparently being "the bulwark against stupid ideas" (staggering really given what did get through!).

I like the fact that David Miliband apparently called Ed at home 30 mins before polls closed "to congratulate him on his campaign" (LOL!), the fact that the EdStone (which will be talked about long after we've all forgotten about Sheffield 1992) was originally going to be carved into a quarry face no less, and that a photocall with Ed in front of Brighton Pavillion was hastily pulled when aides fretted that voters might think he was stood outside a mosque.

Also, that the curtains in No 10 literally were being measured up - civil servants were already in discussions with Labour about refurbishments before polling day.

All good stuff....
    Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Most sane people think Watson is a s***, and they wouldn't be wrong either, whatever he may have done since.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,523
    Ghedebrav said:

I'm hardly a 'dedicated right-winger', but I detest the guy. He's one of the people who sums up everything that is wrong with some parts of Labour and parts of other parties too.

Falkirk and his hideous behaviour and self-aggrandisement over Murdoch are just two examples.

Still, we'd better be careful due to his rather thin skin and speed to threaten libel lawyers. It's amazing how often bullies hate criticism ...
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2015

Although it repeats some of what was in The Guardian last week, there are some great snippets, some of which put Ed Balls in a more favourable light, apparently being "the bulwark against stupid ideas" (staggering really given what did get through!).

I'm not at all surprised - Ed Balls was easily the most sensible of the shadow front-bench, and if there was one faint reason to hope that a Labour government might not have turned out to be quite as disastrous as Ed Miliband's speeches suggested, it was the fact that Ed Balls was likely to be Chancellor. In fact Balls scarcely bothered to hide his contempt for his boss.

Labour should have chosen Balls as leader in 2010. Instead they seem set on progressing from the third-worst of the five 2010 contenders to the second-worst. Perhaps they'll get round to Diane Abbott in the end.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    FPT

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

Newspapers: I read the DM and Graun online, the latter more than the former plus I comment sometimes on CiF. I buy (occasionally) The Times in print, I look at the DT whenever it's lying around. I count myself a Times Reader.

Plus am an, um, true blue Cons.

On TVs - may I be the first to ask: what is a 4k TV?

Basically a Ultra High Definition TV. About 4 times better picture quality than a normal HD TV

http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/advice/what-is-4k-tv
    Define "four times better"!

The marginal improvement is insignificant.
    It is literally four times the pixels. The change from traditional SDTV to HDTV was four times, which is the same as from HDTV to UHD.
    Yes and to your eyes looks just the same
    I can most definitely tell the difference (just can't currently afford it). It depends on the size of the screen but the bigger the screen the more noticeable the difference.

My Laptop I'm typing on now is 1920x1080 (the same resolution as full HDTV), there's no reason a 50" TV can't have a higher resolution than a Laptop.
    I din't mean than 4k couldn't be a small improvement, but there's no way your viewing experience will be anything like 4 times better.
    I agree that four times better is an overstatement (as it was for HDTV), but it will be better. Its an understatement to say you can't see the difference.

I'm looking forward to 4k gaming though I suspect we'll need to wait for PS5 or PS6 to make the most of it. By which point at this rate we could be talking about 16k TVs and so it goes on!
    I believe 4k is at the limit of human visual acuity; any more pixels and we would need new eyes, as someone suggested.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    These Labour elections just keep getting better and better for the Tories. Watson, eh? I thought when you had three wishes from a genie, you weren't allowed to have as your third wish "I wish I had unlimited additional wishes". I may have been misinformed. The wishes keep coming good.

At PMQ's, Labour seemed to be an Opposition without any fight in them. No righteous indignation of the horrors this Tory majority will visit on the poor, the sick, the unfortunate, the unlucky among us.

Just a party who have been kicked hard in the nuts by the election result.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Labour should have chosen Balls as leader in 2010. Instead they seem set on progressing from the third-worst of the five 2010 contenders to the second-worst. Perhaps they'll get round to Diane Abbott in the end.

In terms of their pitches in the 2010 contest, Balls was arguably the most left-wing of all the candidates (though he did abandon that a few years later).

These Labour elections just keep getting better and better for the Tories. Watson, eh? I thought when you had three wishes from a genie, you weren't allowed to have as your third wish "I wish I had unlimited additional wishes". I may have been misinformed. The wishes keep coming good.

At PMQ's, Labour seemed to be an Opposition without any fight in them. No righteous indignation of the horrors this Tory majority will visit on the poor, the sick, the unfortunate, the unlucky among us.

The penny seems to be dropping that the Blair years were simply a blip in a slow march to the history books.

I've actually only now read Henry's piece (sorry Henry!). I didn't realise Watson was such a shoo-in.

Blimey, you can't credit that after what has happened (twice) they are going for "third time lucky" by pitching to voters in 2020 with (presumably) the left-leaning "oldish" Labour concoction of Burnham and Watson, whom I imagine may pile on votes in seats Labour already holds with big majorities (the "urban shitholes" as they are often referred to), whilst proving utterly repellant if not outwardly toxic everywhere else, notably in the south.

Hopefully a decent Tory alternative to Dave or George might emerge by 2018/19 - because at the moment, you'd have to be thinking about an increased Tory majority if this comes to pass!

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

Most sane people think Watson is a s***, and they wouldn't be wrong either, whatever he may have done since.
    Most sane people have never heard of him.

Whoever posted that helpful timetable before, could we have it again?

I was just remembering Harman quote: "It would be unacceptable if the both deputy leader and leader of the Labour party turned out to be men" and wondering to what extent voters/backers agree and if there is time for a feedback effect if Burnham (or Corbyn) wins the leadership.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    edited June 2015
    twitter.com/michaelsavage/status/608628750859796480

Must be mischief making by The Times and @TSE - Labour's backdrop is The Brighton Pavilion.

From the Times, superb work on the shambles that was Ed. this story about immigration sums it up. "There was an at times almost comical neurosis about the issue: in a moment straight out of The Thick of It, a planned photo call with the leader in front of the Brighton Pavilion was dropped because an aide feared voters might think it was a mosque."

What a foul up.
    Actually that leads me to another question: do leadership candidates endorse deputy leadership candidates?

As pointed out if the leadership candidates aren't well-known the deputy leadership ones are practically unheard of, unless you comment on a political blog regularly.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sorry Nick... (and assorted Scottish whingers)

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/608629600046874624
    Scott_P said:

Hope that isn't a Scottish pavement - how dare an "English" MP stand on a Scottish pavement - it's a clear betrayal of the vow and grounds for a new referendum !
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited June 2015

As a Tory voter, I'd be more worried about Creasy or Flint than Watson (Brown reincarnate with a Midlands accent).

In fact, Creasy or Flint would be more credible leadership candidates than what we currently have before us - no doubt they're biding their time for 2020....

In Flint's case I doubt it (she's older than she looks). She does look like by far the best candidate for deputy though.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Hope that isn't a Scottish pavement - how dare an "English" MP stand on a Scottish pavement - it's a clear betrayal of the vow and grounds for a new referendum !

She is apparently making a ministerial visit to Aberdeen soon.

Presumably after the outrage today, Holyrood will withhold her visa...
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772
    edited June 2015
    The way Labour doing this is nuts. Surely, if they are to be of any use, the deputy and the leader must be on at least speaking terms with each other. If not the deputy simply becomes a distinct power base within the party and a source of dissent and confusion.

Of course Mr Watson is an incredibly nice chap who can work with anyone and would never dream of dripping uncomplimentary remarks about a colleague in the ears of a helpful journalist. Well, anyone except the last leader of the Labour party. Nice though he is, what is the point of making him deputy if Kendall was made leader and could not stand him (entirely hypothetical of course)?

The only sensible way to do this, as I have said before, is to have joint tickets leading to a unified leadership. Teams work: Cameron and Osborne, Blair and Brown, Maggie and Whitelaw. Split leadership such as Labour had under Ed does not.
  • grahambc1grahambc1 Posts: 26

I was just remembering Harman quote: "It would be unacceptable if the both deputy leader and leader of the Labour party turned out to be men" and wondering to what extent voters/backers agree and if there is time for a feedback effect if Burnham (or Corbyn) wins the leadership.

This was my thinking, Watson might not be such a shoo in if a male wins the leadership. I am a supporter of Burnham/Watson partnership but understandably many in Labour would prefer a woman on the leadership team. In that eventuallity I think some votes will shift from Watson perhaps to Eagle.

My personal solution long term would be two deputies
    edited June 2015
    grahambc1 said:

This was my thinking, Watson might not be such a shoo in if a male wins the leadership. I am a supporter of Burnham/Watson partnership but understandably many in Labour would prefer a woman on the leadership team. In that eventuallity I think some votes will shift from Watson perhaps to Eagle.

The Tories are hoping you have influence.

Have you considered the attractions of a rotating deputy leadership? Let everyone have a chance.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669

Compelling reading in The Times today, as they start their in depth reporting on Labour's defeat. All the big names have been interviewed and many setting out in no uncertain times what went wrong (thank god they didn't have the courage to do so before the GE!)

I like the fact that David Miliband apparently called Ed at home 30 mins before polls closed "to congratulate him on his campaign" (LOL!), the fact that the EdStone (which will be talked about long after we've all forgotten about Sheffield 1992) was originally going to be carved into a quarry face no less, and that a photocall with Ed in front of Brighton Pavillion was hastily pulled when aides fretted that voters might think he was stood outside a mosque.

Also, that the curtains in No 10 literally were being measured up - civil servants were already in discussions with Labour about refurbishments before polling day.

All good stuff....

Brighton Pavilion does look a bit 'foreign', but surely Westminster Cathedral looks even less like a mosque:
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/27/-sp-ukip-mistakes-westminster-cathedral-for-mosque
    grahambc1 said:

Eagle would need to make the ballot first.

They really haven't got a system likely to produce a woman in the top two roles.
  • AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    yes, Flint was born in 1961. So she will be 59 in 2020

In Flint's case I doubt it (she's older than she looks). She does look like by far the best candidate for deputy though.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

yes, Flint was born in 1961. So she will be 59 in 2020

So was I but I am sure I will be much younger than that!
    yesterday I miscounted Eagle's total...I misplaced her nominators starting from the wrong excel cell. Therefore I thought she was at 20....12 (now 13) is low.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I see Toad of Toad Hall might be parping merrily once more. Shame.

grahambc1 said:

Have you considered the attractions of a rotating deputy leadership? Let everyone have a chance.
    They could have guest leaders like the guest presenters on HIGNFY!

She never seems to age. Hard to believe she'll be 59 in 2020!!
    New nominations for Select Commette Chairs

Petitions: Nick Smith
    Education: Tim Loughton
    Environmental Audit Committee: Alan Whitehead
    International Development: Fabian Hamilton, Yasmin Qureshi
    Public Accounts: David Hanson
    Science and Technology: Stephen Metcalfe
    Work and Pension: Teresa Pearce

grahambc1 said:

They could have guest leaders like the guest presenters on HIGNFY!

She never seems to age. Hard to believe she'll be 59 in 2020!!
    HRT?
    But do not get me started on Flint! Shallow shallow shallow. Remember her parading herself down the Downing St catwalk with top secret cabinet memos on display?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,922
    edited June 2015

It was me!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/598513837869015040/photo/1
    US Presidential 2016, GOP nomination race. A great piece by Larry Sabato et al. I agree with pretty much everything he says, although I'd have the top three as Rubio, Walker and Bush in that order. And Kasich is the dark horse to watch in my view.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/06/myths-2016-election-candidates-118795.html?hp=t1_r#.VXhJUUu7IpE

It was me!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/598513837869015040
    Thanks Sunil.

Thus members will be voting a deputy leader without knowing if the leader is a man or a woman. Which just leaves my question about endorsements of deputy candidates by leader candidates? Is this likely?
    DavidL said:

The way Labour doing this is nuts. Surely, if they are to be of any use, the deputy and the leader must be on at least speaking terms with each other. If not the deputy simply becomes a distinct power base within the party and a source of dissent and confusion.

Of course Mr Watson is an incredibly nice chap who can work with anyone and would never dream of dripping uncomplimentary remarks about a colleague in the ears of a helpful journalist. Well, anyone except the last leader of the Labour party. Nice though he is, what is the point of making him deputy if Kendall was made leader and could not stand him (entirely hypothetical of course)?

The only sensible way to do this, as I have said before, is to have joint tickets leading to a unified leadership. Teams work: Cameron and Osborne, Blair and Brown, Maggie and Whitelaw. Split leadership such as Labour had under Ed does not.

The way to do it is not to have a totally made up and bogus position of deputy leader.
    NeilVW said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

I can most definitely tell the difference (just can't currently afford it). It depends on the size of the screen but the bigger the screen the more noticeable the difference.

My Laptop I'm typing on now is 1920x1080 (the same resolution as full HDTV), there's no reason a 50" TV can't have a higher resolution than a Laptop.
    I din't mean than 4k couldn't be a small improvement, but there's no way your viewing experience will be anything like 4 times better.
    I agree that four times better is an overstatement (as it was for HDTV), but it will be better. Its an understatement to say you can't see the difference.

I'm looking forward to 4k gaming though I suspect we'll need to wait for PS5 or PS6 to make the most of it. By which point at this rate we could be talking about 16k TVs and so it goes on!
    I believe 4k is at the limit of human visual acuity; any more pixels and we would need new eyes, as someone suggested.
    Unlikely and due to major simplifications. Many said the same about HDTV - that we were already at the limit of human eyesight, but then 4k came along and trumped it and is clearly superior (though on more of a fine detail level than removing obvious pixels).

There is a limit but it depends upon certain details like eyesight quality (some people have better eyesight than others, those with the best eyesight will gain the most from better images), size of the TV, viewing angle and distance from the screen etc

The iPhone "retina" display claim for instance works on the basis that you are holding the screen 12" away and have 20/20 vision. 20/20 vision is not perfect vision, it is "normal" vision where you don't need glasses but a large portion of the population have better than 20/20. Anyone with better than 20/20 vision would see a difference at a higher resolution, anyone holding the screen at a different distance would see a difference etc

I've seen analysis that shows there could theoretically be differences noticeable for optimal vision upto at least 11k. As we don't have 11k TVs currently its a hard theory to test.
    Plato said:
    Plato, there should be one of the modern stealth destroyers in the picture too.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/10/29/1226743/553837-zumwalt.jpg
    edited June 2015
    LOL http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3118284/SNP-MP-Angus-MacNeill-mocked-trapped-toilet-wrong-lobby-avoid-voting-Tories.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
    Och no! SNP MP Angus MacNeill mocked after being trapped in toilet in the wrong lobby to avoid voting with Tories

MP for Na h-Eileanan an Iar has been in the Commons for a decade
    But he was caught out after entering corridor to vote with the government
    To avoid backing Tories on an EU referendum he locked himself in gents
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

Dumb and Dumber somehow manage to get even worse
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Adam Bienkov ‏@AdamBienkov

The Evening Standard reports that just 92 registered supporters have signed up to take part in Labour's London mayoral primary.

These are the £3 sign-ups.
    Mr. T, I really liked Civ 2 for the original Playstation. Such a shame consoles get very little in the way of strategy games.
    edited June 2015
    Ghedebrav said:

MTimT said:

But aren't all the GOP candidates (excepting Pataki, who probably won't win the nomination) too bonkers to beat her?

Perhaps by European political standards. The centre in the US is way to the right of the centre of even England, let alone the UK or continental democracies. (Which is why a Democrat felt politically at home helping Cameron to victory)

Hillary is pursuing the Miliband get out the base strategy, basically ceding the centre. Rubio or Bush could (but not necessarily will) easily mop that up against her. Walker would be Hillary's mirror image, exciting and mobilizing the conservative base but basically ceding the centre. If it's Hillary against Walker and neither side makes fatal gaffes, it comes down to whatever the enthusiasm gap is between the two parties. FWIW, again with no fatal gaffes on either side, I think Hillary loses handily to either Rubio or Bush. And by a big margin to Kasich, who's problem would be to get the nomination.

What would make the election truly interesting is if someone of Bloomberg's stature entered the race on the Dem side.
    London Tories must try harder :wink:

Adam Bienkov ‏@AdamBienkov

The Evening Standard reports that just 92 registered supporters have signed up to take part in Labour's London mayoral primary.

These are the £3 sign-ups.

MTimT said:

What would make the election truly interesting is if someone of Bloomberg's stature entered the race on the Dem side.

Filed under 'Things That Probably Won’t Happen, but Are Reasonably Interesting to Think About' by Vanity Fair.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/06/michael-bloomberg-2016-president-rumors
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

NeilVW said:

FPT

malcolmg said:

Unlikely and due to major simplifications. Many said the same about HDTV - that we were already at the limit of human eyesight, but then 4k came along and trumped it and is clearly superior (though on more of a fine detail level than removing obvious pixels).

There is a limit but it depends upon certain details like eyesight quality (some people have better eyesight than others, those with the best eyesight will gain the most from better images), size of the TV, viewing angle and distance from the screen etc

The iPhone "retina" display claim for instance works on the basis that you are holding the screen 12" away and have 20/20 vision. 20/20 vision is not perfect vision, it is "normal" vision where you don't need glasses but a large portion of the population have better than 20/20. Anyone with better than 20/20 vision would see a difference at a higher resolution, anyone holding the screen at a different distance would see a difference etc

I've seen analysis that shows there could theoretically be differences noticeable for optimal vision upto at least 11k. As we don't have 11k TVs currently its a hard theory to test.
    If you go to see a movie in 'digital' IMAX - i.e. not the usual large format film stock - it is in fact 4k HDTV and shows the very poor quality of the image when scaled up to an IMAX screen.

But it is stunning when seen on a 75" HDTV with a high quality feed.

Mr. T, I really liked Civ 2 for the original Playstation. Such a shame consoles get very little in the way of strategy games.

I've always played strategy on PC. The keyboard+mouse combo works well with strategy.

But I just got Tropico 5 on PS4. First console strategy game I've had in years and I'd highly recommend if if you're interested for a fun strategy game on console. Works much better than I expected and got used to using the controller very quickly.
    MTimT said:

Ghedebrav said:

MTimT said:

Perhaps by European political standards. The centre in the US is way to the right of the centre of even England, let alone the UK or continental democracies. (Which is why a Democrat felt politically at home helping Cameron to victory)

Hillary is pursuing the Miliband get out the base strategy, basically ceding the centre. Rubio or Bush could (but not necessarily will) easily mop that up against her. Walker would be Hillary's mirror image, exciting and mobilizing the conservative base but basically ceding the centre. If it's Hillary against Walker and neither side makes fatal gaffes, it comes down to whatever the enthusiasm gap is between the two parties. FWIW, again with no fatal gaffes on either side, I think Hillary loses handily to either Rubio or Bush. And by a big margin to Kasich, who's problem would be to get the nomination.

I saw a poll last night briefly (hence no reference) that said Clinton beats Bernie Sanders in one of the early primary states by 49% to 41%. Hardly reassuring. Plus Hillary has already flipped on so many issues from her previous stance.
    Mr. Thompson, I've had my eye on that for a while, but the price has scarcely dropped at all [and I'm still playing The Witcher 3]. I do plan on getting it, though.
    MTimT said:

Ghedebrav said:

MTimT said:

I know it would not be a popular opinion in this country but I'd like to see Walker win. If you ignore his religion he's made some great free market reforms in the likes of Thatcher/Reagan in his state and could do a great job.

The Democrats would be mobilised against him but that doesn't mean they'd win (as they didn't win the recall vote like they expected they would).
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited June 2015
    Watson and Burnham.... it just keeps getting better..

MTimT said:

Filed under 'Things That Probably Won’t Happen, but Are Reasonably Interesting to Think About' by Vanity Fair.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/06/michael-bloomberg-2016-president-rumors
    Probably a fair assessment by Vanity Fair. But senior Democrats have courted Bloomberg to run before (I know, I discussed this at the time over dinner with one very well placed Senator who was active in the effort) and I am sure there are some who are privately wishing he would enter the race right now, even if they are not actively asking him to. Given how shaky Hillary's start has been, it is incredibly risky for the Party to place all its eggs in her basket.

Mr. Thompson, I've had my eye on that for a while, but the price has scarcely dropped at all [and I'm still playing The Witcher 3]. I do plan on getting it, though.

Funny I'm the opposite, got my eyes on The Witcher 3. Would you recommend it?
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Did that SNP MP mistake the ladies sign for the gents, thought it was a man wearing a kilt..
    HRCICWNBPOTUS

Her chance was in 2008 and she blew it. Hillary will not be President.

MTimT said:

Ghedebrav said:

MTimT said:

I know it would not be a popular opinion in this country but I'd like to see Walker win. If you ignore his religion he's made some great free market reforms in the likes of Thatcher/Reagan in his state and could do a great job.

The Democrats would be mobilised against him but that doesn't mean they'd win (as they didn't win the recall vote like they expected they would).
    Yes, in a purple state, he has won 3 elections in 4 years, two of them with the entire heft of unionism and national democratic apparatus arraigned against him. So regardless of the 'extremism' of some of his views, it would be foolish to rule him out in a national election. Foreign policy is his absolute Achilles heel (as it was and still is Obama's), but he is working diligently on that.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Ghedebrav said:

MTimT said:

I saw a poll last night briefly (hence no reference) that said Clinton beats Bernie Sanders in one of the early primary states by 49% to 41%. Hardly reassuring. Plus Hillary has already flipped on so many issues from her previous stance.
    The 538 people dismissed it (mind you, they had Brazil winning the World Cup).
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/dont-pay-attention-to-that-wisconsin-straw-poll/

Mr. Thompson, definitely.

Put some early thoughts up here:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/the-witcher-3-ps4-early-thoughts.html

Short version: there's an initial bug you can get around, and, apart from that, it's fantastic.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/dont-pay-attention-to-that-wisconsin-straw-poll/

While the 538 projection for the Commons was laughably inept in 2010 and 15.
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Ghedebrav said:

MTimT said:

Wisconsin straw poll. Here's the link to the article in politico:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/wisconsin-straw-poll-surprise-a-narrow-clinton-win-118727.html
  • AllyPally_RobAllyPally_Rob Posts: 605
    edited June 2015
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Ghedebrav said:

MTimT said:

Wisconsin straw poll. Here's the link to the article in politico:
    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/wisconsin-straw-poll-surprise-a-narrow-clinton-win-118727.html
    Here's a good analysis of why that straw poll is worthless from 538.com

And by the way, Politico is full of pointless nonsense like this. If Hillary ate a burger they'd have a 3 page in depth article on her push to 'woo the cattle farming vote' ect.

538, like HYUFD of our parish, places inordinate faith in the accuracy of polls, or at least in the accuracy of the wisdom of crowds of polls. When the polls are doing well and it is a two horse race, 538 is remarkably accurate. Their models, IMO, are remarkably unsuited for multiparty politics or elections where polling is not capturing undercurrents, such as the 2010 and 2014 mid-terms here.
    Watching the Criterium du Dauphinee, the team time trial. The Canondale Garmin team are on the road, losing one of their riders off the back. His name? Jack Bauer.
  • MTimT said:

538, like HYUFD of our parish, places inordinate faith in the accuracy of polls, or at least in the accuracy of the wisdom of crowds of polls. When the polls are doing well and it is a two horse race, 538 is remarkably accurate. Their models, IMO, are remarkably unsuited for multiparty politics or elections where polling is not capturing undercurrents, such as the 2010 and 2014 mid-terms here.
    They predicted 54 gains in the US house in 2010, which isn't bad going at all. They were spot on in 2012 too. They might be rubbish at UK elections but their US track record is very admirable overall. Certainly better than Politico, who were predicting a coin toss in 2012 when Silver rightly pointed out the dynamics showed a solid Obama win from the start.

MTimT said:

They predicted 54 gains in the US house in 2010, which isn't bad going at all. They were spot on in 2012 too. They might be rubbish at UK elections but their US track record is very admirable overall. Certainly better than Politico, who were predicting a coin toss in 2012 when Silver rightly pointed out the dynamics showed a solid Obama win from the start.
    2010 was 63 pick ups. IIRC, 538 was right in the pack of Rothberg, Sabato et al, all of whom admitted they failed to see how big the wave was. The difference between 54 and 63 was considered a big deal at the time, enough to have pollsters here wondering why they missed it.

MTimT said:

There's a difference between being right in a two horse race just before the final vote ... and being omnipotent a year and a half before the vote before the primaries have even started.
    Tim_B said:

Watching the Criterium du Dauphinee, the team time trial. The Canondale Garmin team are on the road, losing one of their riders off the back. His name? Jack Bauer.

Wasn't that yesterday? Looks like my fantasy team may be, er, sub-optimal.

MTimT said:

To be fair though, an asthmatic 3 toed sloth with some heavy shopping and a low sense of self-esteem could have predicted an Obama win in 2012.

What's intriguing is the total disconnect between Obama's electoral performance and that of his party.
    edited June 2015
    Ghedebrav said:

Tim_B said:

Yes, through the magic of my dvr. It airs at 1am here.

Wow - just found our Mafeking has been relieved :-)
    LOL :smiley:
    Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

To be fair though, an asthmatic 3 toed sloth with some heavy shopping and a low sense of self-esteem could have predicted an Obama win in 2012.

What's intriguing is the total disconnect between Obama's electoral performance and that of his party.
  • MTimT said:

MTimT said:

2010 was 63 pick ups. IIRC, 538 was right in the pack of Rothberg, Sabato et al, all of whom admitted they failed to see how big the wave was. The difference between 54 and 63 was considered a big deal at the time, enough to have pollsters here wondering why they missed it.
    I'd still be happier to back them over the Politico/Joe Scarborough/Dick Morris model which seems to believe the American electorate change their mind constantly en-mass.
    Ghedebrav said:

Tim_B said:

Is sub-optimal the same as deferred success?
    edited June 2015

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

I'd still be happier to back them over the Politico/Joe Scarborough/Dick Morris model which seems to believe the American electorate change their mind constantly en-mass.
    I agree with you there. :) Talking Heads rely on the audience instantly forgetting what they have said.

Don't get me wrong, I think 538 is an invaluable resource. I just think they believe blindly in stats and that there is in fact more to life, particularly messy aspects of life, such as politics.

DavidL said:

The way to do it is not to have a totally made up and bogus position of deputy leader.
    A pretty fair point. It's politically useful though, the Prescott example being a case in point - a figure of great stature (ahem) in his party but crap at the job of being a minister. As deputy leader he had the prestige but limited the damage he could by running important bits of the country.
  • Tim_B said:

MTimT said:

Yes I agree, an Obama win was obvious but it didn't stop the likes of Politico and other DC gossip rags making out like it was going to be a late night did it. Even worse you had idiots like Gingrich and Morris declaring a Romney landslide in spite of all the evidence to the opposite.

The Dems had a good night in 2012 across the board, picked up house seats, held the senate (including long-shots like North Dakota) and obvs won the presidency easily.
This discussion has been closed.