Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Undefined discussion subject.

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited June 2015 in General

Comments

• Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Who won in Tower Hamlets then?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good evening, everyone.

Thanks, Mr. Hayfield (assuming he's the author).
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Interesting test for the yellow peril.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited June 2015
    First test of LD existence since the wipeout last month.
    Also first test since Rahman's downfall in Tower Hamlets.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2015
    Mr Dancer, caught the last episode of Castles on BBC4 – VG, cheers for the recommendation. And may I just say, Cromwell was a bigger tit than I gave him credit for.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited June 2015
    Stepney Green; home is where the heart is.

Labour win, but very half hearted.

Vague chance the Tories may win the Mayor.
    Speedy said:

Lib Dems in TH will be eternally remembered for the Sons and Daughters Scheme in the 1980s.
    Mr. StClare, not seen that episode, but presumably you're referring to Cromwell essentially wrecking every castle in the country?

I'm unfamiliar with the details but my uncle (who is more interested in modern history than me) told me about it a few weeks ago.

Glad you liked it. There are a few programmes about medieval shenanigans on BBC4 at the minute, it seems.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    chestnut said:

Speedy said:

Lib Dems in TH will be eternally remembered for the Sons and Daughters Scheme in the 1980s.
    What did it entail?
  • DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    The curse of the new thread. FPT.
    viewcode said:

"I don't know and I don't care. Live, die, prosper, starve: it's their problem. They should go away, stop asking for money, pay their debts or announce they will not, and build whatever life they can with somebody else."
    ----
    That is a short-sighted view. In an inter-connected world, you may find that THEIR problem creates shock waves that become OUR problem.

In 1914, I'm sure that many people dismissed the idea that an assassination of an Austrian Archduke could set off a sequence of events which culminated in the outbreak of World War 1. After all, previous Balkan crises had been contained. This one wasn't.
    On Topic. That was an interesting read about Tower Hamlets in the header. Has any borough had a more convoluted history in the last 25 years, I wonder?
    edited June 2015
    AndyJS said:

chestnut said:

Speedy said:

What did it entail?
    Preferential treatment for local residents' children in the allocation of council housing.

It was condemned as racist by the 1980s Labour movement.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,540
    Disraeli said:

On Topic. That was an interesting read about Tower Hamlets in the header. Has any borough had a more convoluted history in the last 25 years, I wonder?

I lived on the Isle of Dogs when Derek Beacon (sp?) got elected for the BNP. Highlights included ANL posters saying "kill the Nazi scum" (which seemed an odd view for them to take), and being trapped on a D6 bus around the isle behind scores of police vans, cars and uniformed bobbies who were protecting a handful of BNP marchers.

If I recall correctly, Beacon's election was largely due to an unpopular change to housing policy.

It's always made me think that the ANL and BNP were just as bad as each other..
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    chestnut said:

AndyJS said:

chestnut said:

Speedy said:

What did it entail?
    Preferential treatment for local residents' children in the allocation of council housing.

It was condemned as racist by the 1980s Labour movement.
    Okay, so I don't know much more than what I've just read in the last few minutes. But am I being unfair to point out that the same people who would criticize this policy also rant and rave when London councils send those on housing benefit to seaside towns to save money?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,234
    FTP
    Disraeli said:

viewcode said:

I don't know and I don't care. Live, die, prosper, starve: it's their problem. They should go away, stop asking for money, pay their debts or announce they will not, and build whatever life they can with somebody else.

That is a short-sighted view. In an inter-connected world, you may find that THEIR problem creates shock waves that become OUR problem.
    I'm sure it will. I don't care. We have no agency here. Syriza has been spoken to, threatened, cajoled and begged. It isn't listening and isn't going to do anything other than take other people's money and spend it. The ECB, EZ and IMF are going to stop giving Greece money and Greece is going to stop giving the ECB, EZ and IMF money. What happens then will happen, for good or ill.
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited June 2015
    Will the Tower Hamlets count take longer than the ones for the 2015 UK general election?
    Disraeli said:

Tower Hamlets was one of the most Labour areas in the country, regularly returning Labour MPs with 70%+ shares of the vote. Attlee had his seat in Limehouse. The only viable opposition were the Communists for many years.

But by the 1980s the Lib Dems won the council on concerns among local people about the unfairness of open-door, laissez faire immigration policy, feeling that the basic fairness of the contributory principle was being undermined. They were condemned as racist by the Livingstone tendency.

The BNP rose in the early 1990s as a sharper kick back. White flight and immigration saturation lead to Labour regaining contol and eventually Labour's mixed race, Jewish MP - Oona King - was usurped by a Bengali Muslim vote. Labour were for wars against the Muslims in Iraq.

Rahman was also the consequence of that and so is Rushanara Ali.

It's identity politics. Tower Hamlets has been 20 years ahead of the game since the 1980s.
    I see that Peter Golds is on the candidate list in Tower Hamlets. I presume that this is the same Peter Golds who used to (Still?) post on PB!
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 51m51 minutes ago
    Alan Johnson leaning towards backing Burnham, Labour sources say.
    Mr. 565, does Johnson's approval carry weight?

I'd guess yes, but I'm not a Labour chap.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Watching a repeat of Gogglebox on E4 and its got the clip about "UKIP: The First 100 Days" from a few months ago. Its so funny watching this back now, not only the notion of PM Farage (versus not even MP Farage) but also the reaction of those watching it who respond with lines like "this is silly, they'll only win 3 MPs".
    Thank You, Chestnut. Yet more interesting info on TH.
    chestnut said:

They were condemned as racist by the Livingstone tendency.

Yes, and when they moved out as part of the "white flight" that you mentioned, they no doubt left their old labour-voting habits behind (that's if they even still had them).
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    I do hope the BBC do a review of GE 2015 and what was going on behind the scenes much as has come out.. Its one of those programmes where you will just watch the detail and think WTF all the way through
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited June 2015
    Danny565 said:

Labour sources my ass.. If Johnson wants to support Burnham, he should say so.. as for leaning towards, anyone would think his support was crucial, which it isn't (well at least as far as I see it).
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PeterMannionMP: I think I'm right in saying that every member of tonight's panel either is, or has been, a member of the Conservative party. #fact #bbcqt
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Scott_P said:

@PeterMannionMP: I think I'm right in saying that every member of tonight's panel either is, or has been, a member of the Conservative party. #fact #bbcqt

One Nation
  • nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    Hancock out of order here, Ukip helped his party get back in.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited June 2015
    Speedy said:

Both interesting, if for very different reasons. I find these occasional pockets of strong LD councils very peculiar.

Danny565 said:

Labour sources my ass.. If Johnson wants to support Burnham, he should say so
    Quite. I don't know why they insist on being so coy with these things sometimes.
  • FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Disraeli said:

viewcode said:

"I don't know and I don't care. Live, die, prosper, starve: it's their problem. They should go away, stop asking for money, pay their debts or announce they will not, and build whatever life they can with somebody else."
    ----

In 1914, I'm sure that many people dismissed the idea that an assassination of an Austrian Archduke could set off a sequence of events which culminated in the outbreak of World War 1. After all, previous Balkan crises had been contained. This one wasn't.

Disraeli said:

viewcode said:

----

The Chief of Staff of the German Army did not dismiss the idea.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Because everyone who isn't a Conservative speaks so nicely about the Conservatives don't they?

Never seen a QT yet where a politician doesn't attack another party, I don't think Hancock said anything that someone else wouldn't say about another party.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961

This will be the same UKIP whose stated aim was to supplant the Tories as the party of Govt.? Like hell did you "help" the Tories get back in - that was just a function of how the votes fell under FPTP, not something for which Tories should be grateful to UKIP.
    Speedy said:

@viewcode Under the danger of impersonating Ben Stein I give you the following: [snipped for space reasons]

You state that "...the value of a currency X relative to currency Y is determined by the supply of money and differences in prices between lets say country A and country B..."the Greek currency would be valued on...Money supply growth....Government deficit...Current account...Price differences...".

OK, let's write that as a function. So rXY= fn(mX,mY,pX,pY,gX,gY,eX,eY), where:
    * rXY = value of currency X relative to currency Y (X if Greece, Y is EZother)
    * mX and mY = present/future money supply of currency X and Y
    * pX and pY = present/future prices of goods in area of currency X and Y
    * gX and gY = present/future government income/expenditure in area of currency X and Y
    * eX and eY = fudge factors inserted for any other stuff,corruption, level of crime, etc
    * fn = a function yet to be defined

With me so far? I haven't done anything weird, just written the equation down: no funny stuff, just defining the terms, yes?

OK, first thing: you've defined pX wrong for the *area* of Greece. In the event of a Grexit, you're assuming *all* of Greece changes to New Drachma. I bet you post-Grexit the currency the citizenry buy milk, bread, shoes and taxi fares in will still be Euros and the "area using ND" will be primarily Government work. We have precedents for this in Soviet Union in the 70's

Now, second thing: mX will go up fast. Bank of Greece has a printing press, the head is a Syriza appointee, and with enough zeros you can print a trillion yea fast. Russia did that in the late 90's, Germany in the 20's. Hello, wheelbarrows.

Third thing: gX will go spectacularly wrong. Syriza will go printy-printy, tax income will shrink. Again, Russia in 90's as precedent

Fourth thing: eX will go way wrong: or rather more way wrong (wronger?) Greece is corrupt. A polity with Syriza in government and Golden Dawn in parliament is not sensible.

In short: all the factors for Greece will go bad. It's run by genuine idiots, it produces nothing, its people are jobless, and its accounting practices are fictional.

(incidentally, have you ever heard the phrase "not worth a Continental"?)

Because everyone who isn't a Conservative speaks so nicely about the Conservatives don't they?

Never seen a QT yet where a politician doesn't attack another party, I don't think Hancock said anything that someone else wouldn't say about another party.
    I for one speak well of the Conservatives and have done on here for a long time, just though Hancock, who I like, went on an unnecessary rant.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects

Wallington South (Sutton) result:

LDEM - 44.1% (+6.9)
    CON - 33.0% (+13.7)
    LAB - 6.4% (-2.4)
    IND - 6.4%
    UKIP - 5.8% (-10.5)
    GRN - 4.3% (-2.7)

This will be the same UKIP whose stated aim was to supplant the Tories as the party of Govt.? Like hell did you "help" the Tories get back in - that was just a function of how the votes fell under FPTP, not something for which Tories should be grateful to UKIP.
    It was Ukip who undermined the WWC vote, they are more likely to supplant Labour than the Tories and I said that on here for weeks before the GE.

They put huge doubt in the minds of potential Labour voters and I believe contributed to the Tory win. Personally even though I am a Kipper I would have voted Tory if I lived in a marginal, and I believe Kippers did that in marginals across England.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    The scale of Tony Blair’s globe-trotting is exposed for the first time in secret documents that suggest the taxpayer is paying up to £16,000 a week to help the former prime minister build his business empire.
    Documents seen by The Telegraph contain details of Mr Blair’s travels around the world, accompanied by a squad of police bodyguards, flying on private jets and staying in five-star hotels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/tony-blair/11668401/tony-blair-global-business-empire-taxpayers-money.html
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,972
    Jurassic World rocks.
    edited June 2015
    Just heard about this on the Sky News paper review:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33103294

"The world's first successful penis transplant has been reported by a surgical team in South Africa. The 21-year-old recipient, whose identify is being protected, lost his penis in a botched circumcision."
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    AndyJS said:

"The world's first successful penis transplant has been reported by a surgical team in South Africa. The 21-year-old recipient, whose identify is being protected, lost his penis in a botched circumcision."

I thought the first successful transplant of this kind had been in Rochester & Strood last November? Sadly the host rejected the member 6 months later.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited June 2015

AndyJS said:

I thought the first successful transplant of this kind had been in Rochester & Strood last November? Sadly the host rejected the member 6 months later.
    Could have been worse - the member might have rejected him.

Actually it is worse - he now has a 'donated' member...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    TSE - Get your screen grab ready. Suzanne Evans is on This Week again.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    AndyJS said:

Gonna have to rethink that old saying....

"I wouldn't touch it with yours"
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

- or with Roman Polanski, the five foot pole nobody wants to touch.
    edited June 2015

Jurassic World rocks.

Yes, but did it have transplanted penises?...:-)

• NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265

Mr. 565, does Johnson's approval carry weight?

I'd guess yes, but I'm not a Labour chap.

Yes, it would help him confirm a position as the front-runner, which at present isn't quite clear. Certainly not a decisive move, but it'd be sueful for him.

Good LibDem result in Wallington BTW, and thanks to Harry for the overview.
    Watching the women's world cup match between Thailand and Cote d'Ivoire, you realise men and women aren't as different from each other as people sometimes make out.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_P said:

My idea of balance: each wing of the party represented!
  • GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

- or with Roman Polanski, the five foot pole nobody wants to touch.
    Nobody? That's not true.
    Roger of this parish is a defender of the justice-fleeing rapist.
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Has Roger been heard from since the debacle
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,037

LDEM - 44.1% (+6.9)
    CON - 33.0% (+13.7)
    LAB - 6.4% (-2.4)
    IND - 6.4%
    UKIP - 5.8% (-10.5)
    GRN - 4.3% (-2.7)

Wow. A Lib Dem hold.
    Tower Hamlets has introduced me to a genuinely new experience: the first time I've ever been glad that Labour have won* anything.

(*obviously, I'd have preferred the Conservative candidate. But you've got to be realistic)
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Idiotic BBC report doesn't give the proper result, but mixes up votes for the top two candidates in the 2nd round, combined with votes for the other candidates in the 1st round

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33105311
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

LDEM - 44.1% (+6.9)
    CON - 33.0% (+13.7)
    LAB - 6.4% (-2.4)
    IND - 6.4%
    UKIP - 5.8% (-10.5)
    GRN - 4.3% (-2.7)

Wow. A Lib Dem hold.
    Broken sleazy kippers on the slide...
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790

Tower Hamlets has introduced me to a genuinely new experience: the first time I've ever been glad that Labour have won* anything.

(*obviously, I'd have preferred the Conservative candidate. But you've got to be realistic)

Weren't you equally glad at Labour winning Bradford West last month? That certainly got big cheers from both main parties at the count centre in Croydon when it came up on the screen.

• DairDair Posts: 6,108

Bradford West?
    JohnLoony said:

Weren't you equally glad at Labour winning Bradford West last month? That certainly got big cheers from both main parties at the count centre in Croydon when it came up on the screen.

That was more pleasure at Galloway's defeat. Subtle diffference.
    AndyJS said:

Watching the women's world cup match between Thailand and Cote d'Ivoire, you realise men and women aren't as different from each other as people sometimes make out.

Particularly in Thailand. Well, Bangkok.
    AndyJS said:

At Spurs, we've been playing like women for years. ;-)
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

JohnLoony said:

That was more pleasure at Galloway's defeat. Subtle diffference.
    Naseem Shah is no Champagne Socialist, a very important voice to have in parliament. Unlike Galloway she will stand up to the male patriarchs of Bradford. Possibly the only MP to have a parent convicted of murder too!

http://urban-echo.co.uk/exclusive-bradford-west-labour-candidate-naz-shah-reveals-all/

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    a) morning
    b) not sure I buy into the whole sportsmen as role models thing but by any account Nicola Adams is surely an exceptional role model
    c) comedy AQ tonight
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Congrats to mike baldwin.... a brave job at his age.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,540
    This decision about Orgreave is going to be very controversial:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-33091675
  • Keep On Share Bro
    nagapoker | poker online indonesia
This discussion has been closed.