Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile in that other party leadership contest…Stodge on

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited June 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meanwhile in that other party leadership contest…Stodge on the Lib Dem race

Next Wednesday I’m intending to attend the Hustings for the Liberal Democrat leadership election in London. As in 2007, I go to the event undecided between the two candidates and will listen with interest to what they have to say and how they see the future of the Party.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    1st
    Given the number of Lib Dems could this not be a 3 legged race?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    2nd and test
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Thanks Stodge - a good overview. Farron's approach to the coalition was self-serving and cynical throughout and for that (a) he deserves to lose and (b) he will win.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    LibDems = DUP
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited June 2015
    Lamb can't win, surely? He looks like a comprehensive school geography teacher. "Would you do that at home? Then don't do it here!"

Farron looks like the love child of Ken Livingstone and Tucker Jenkins out of Grange Hill.

If he won, every time I saw him I would go "Flippin' 'eck!"
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Labour has long suffered from internal paralysis when it comes to dealing with ineffective leadership and it raises the question 'If Labour is not prepared to act to save itself why should it be trusted with the affairs of the nation'? It was very obvious by early 1983 that the party would have fared a good deal better under Healey, yet it still proceeded to act like lemmings by following Foot over the cliff to a Tory landslide. In the run-up to 2010 all the evidence suggested that a range of alternative leaders would have outperforned Brown and perhaps given Labour an additional 20 seats to make a Lib/Lab deal a realistic option. I genuinely wonder how Brown and Milliband have been able to cope with the aftermath of defeat. Do they feel any sense of guilt that by hanging on they brought about a defeat that might otherwise have been avoided - or do they deep down really believe that nobody else would have done better?
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Lamb can't win, surely? He looks like a comprehensive school geography teacher. "Would you do that at home? Then don't do it here!"

Farron looks like the love child of Ken Livingstone and Tucker Jenkins out of Grange Hill.

Has anyone ever seen Tim Farron and Owen Jones in the same place at the same time?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2015
    Cheers Mr Stodge, an interesting thread and looking forward to your report on the Hustings.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    justin124 said:

In the run-up to 2010 all the evidence suggested that a range of alternative leaders would have outperforned Brown

That's not how I remember it. As I recall, pollsters asked how VI changed under different leaders and they were all equally hopeless - except David M, who however refused to move against Brown. Presumably he thought he'd let Brown lose then take over in 2010 and win in 2015.

Labour's problem now is that any putative new leader in 2 or 3 years' time is going to be one of the losers from the current donkey derby. This problem is structural because Labour chooses MPs on sexist and racist grounds and thus has quota nodding donkeys where others have talent. The PLP of 230-odd Labour MPs possibly comprises only half that many that are any good, the others being there for other reasons.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I wonder how much weight the Dappy endorsement carries among the Lib Dems...

https://twitter.com/TheDappy/status/598849481942179840
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Farron looks like the love child of Ken Livingstone and Tucker Jenkins out of Grange Hill. If he won, every time I saw him I would go "Flippin' 'eck!"

Looks like a winner, then Mr Bond! You could well be right. I think I remember hearing Tim Farron saying "Flippin´´eck!" on more than one occasion!

The Lib Dems are very fortunate in having two excellent candidates to choose between. Both of them are head and shoulders above the candidates that Labour has to choose from.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Blackcaps starting to open their shoulders.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited June 2015
    A pair of over promoted councillors. Great news for the other parties. LD members will pick Farron to get a warm feeling in their legs akin to the actions of a drunk oblivious to the impact on others that are watching the activity. PMSL in shared enjoyment.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Is it me, or does Norman Lamb look like a member of a 1970s Labour cabinet?
  • Options

A pair of over promoted councillors. Great news for the other parties. LD members will pick Farron to get a warm feeling in their legs akin to the actions of a drunk oblivious to the impact of others that are watching the activity. PMSL.

TBH: as Stodge says, the LibDems fate is not in their hands. Their success in 2020 depends more on the direction the other parties head in.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

justin124 said:

In the run-up to 2010 all the evidence suggested that a range of alternative leaders would have outperforned Brown

That's not how I remember it. As I recall, pollsters asked how VI changed under different leaders and they were all equally hopeless - except David M, who however refused to move against Brown. Presumably he thought he'd let Brown lose then take over in 2010 and win in 2015.

Labour's problem now is that any putative new leader in 2 or 3 years' time is going to be one of the losers from the current donkey derby. This problem is structural because Labour chooses MPs on sexist and racist grounds and thus has quota nodding donkeys where others have talent. The PLP of 230-odd Labour MPs possibly comprises only half that many that are any good, the others being there for other reasons.
    Polling questions are not very meaningful when the prospect of a change of leadership is pretty hypothetical and name recognition tends to benefit the incumbent anyway. I suspect that in 2010 Labour would have done a fair bit better under Alan Johnson or Alastair Darling.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Thanks Stodge - a good overview. Farron's approach to the coalition was self-serving and cynical throughout and for that (a) he deserves to lose and (b) he will win.

Spot on. Farron is concentrated essence of dodgy bar charts. He is Huhne, but without the urbane menace.

Anyway, it's all academic. The LibDems don't need a leader; they need an undertaker.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    rcs1000 said:

A pair of over promoted councillors. Great news for the other parties. LD members will pick Farron to get a warm feeling in their legs akin to the actions of a drunk oblivious to the impact of others that are watching the activity. PMSL.

TBH: as Stodge says, the LibDems fate is not in their hands. Their success in 2020 depends more on the direction the other parties head in.
    Quite true, but the quality of the 7 (Clegg will be gone) is a weak bunch to re-build from. LD success in 2020 will be battles fought with better placed NOTA parties, than when they last had under 10 MPs.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    If you ask me, Stodge, you should stand for the L/Dem leadership yourself. Now I don't know you from Adam, but, looking at those two no hopers - no hope of making the L/Dems a force to remember - you stand a better chance than them.

With followers like Dappy the L/Dems are well entrenched at the bottom.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2015
    It seems Ruth Davidson hasn't got the memo that Westminster will never allow a second IndyRef

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/12/ruth-davidson-scottish-conservative-leader-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw

She predicts that there will be a second independence referendum in Scotland, which she does not want, but will not oppose. “If the SNP puts in its manifesto that it has an intention to hold a second referendum, and if it wins an outright majority, I think it does have a mandate to hold one.” Will she be making that case to Downing Street? “Yeah. Because I actually don’t think, in the longer term, Westminster saying ‘No you cannae’ will play well in Scotland, and I think that it would damage the unionist cause.”
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    NZ 218/2, 31 overs.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Looking forward to the full and frank biographies of this period. Did Ed really advise his brother not to move on Brown? And if so, what were his motives at the time? They might have been legitimate concerns, and it is only through the lens of retrospective cynicism that it looks to have been self-serving ambition.

Or there could be evidence emerge (from within the trade unions, maybe?) that he's been a scheming little shit all along - in which case two election defeats can rightly be laid at his door.
  • Options

Spot on. Farron is concentrated essence of dodgy bar charts. He is Huhne, but without the urbane menace.

Anyway, it's all academic. The LibDems don't need a leader; they need an undertaker.
    They need to sue for peace with someone. Either Labour or the Greens.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Polling questions are not very meaningful when the prospect of a change of leadership is pretty hypothetical and name recognition tends to benefit the incumbent anyway. I suspect that in 2010 Labour would have done a fair bit better under Alan Johnson or Alastair Darling.
    Agreed. By skipping the grey heads, they repeated the mistake with Hague. Promoting the next generation too early and wasting the talents of the next generation.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    rcs1000 said:

Take care, young Robert. I suspect that a lot of people who post on PB might look like members of a 1970s Labour cabinet. Mightn´t they?

I see that the massed ranks of Tory posters have appeared on this thread, to sneer, as is their custom, at any politician who is not a Tory. A good thing that they do, of course. It reminds me why I could never vote Tory.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

His appearance has changed quite a lot in the last couple of years with the big glasses and white hair. This is still how I tend to visualise him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7857879.stm
  • Options

justin124 said:

Looking forward to the full and frank biographies of this period. Did Ed really advise his brother not to move on Brown? And if so, what were his motives at the time? They might have been legitimate concerns, and it is only through the lens of retrospective cynicism that it looks to have been self-serving ambition.
    Or there could be evidence emerge (from within the trade unions, maybe?) that he's been a scheming little shit all along - in which case two election defeats can rightly be laid at his door.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/exclusive-union-boss-derek-simpson-417997

In 2009 "Simpson named Energy Secretary Ed Miliband, younger brother of Foreign Secretary David Miliband, as the man to take the reins."
  • Options
    And Ruth Davidson is a fully paid up member of votes at 16 now as well.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

His appearance has changed quite a lot in the last couple of years with the big glasses and white hair. This is still how I tend to visualise him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7857879.stm
    He's embraced his look a bit more.

He comes across well, but I agree with the consensus opinion he's not the right man atm.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    P Clipp will never be a Tory..the week just gets better..
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    LDs ‘now needs a street fighter and rabble rouser’.

It may work, however when the LDs made their last crawl back from virtual oblivion in 1970, there were only two other main parties. - Now there is at least four others, better placed, better define as to what they stand for and each has their own tried and tested street fighters.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

Take care, young Robert. I suspect that a lot of people who post on PB might look like members of a 1970s Labour cabinet. Mightn´t they?

I see that the massed ranks of Tory posters have appeared on this thread, to sneer, as is their custom, at any politician who is not a Tory. A good thing that they do, of course. It reminds me why I could never vote Tory.

I do not sneer at those who are older such as Alan Johnson or Alastair Darling mentioned below.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Quite true, but the quality of the 7 (Clegg will be gone) is a weak bunch to re-build from. LD success in 2020 will be battles fought with better placed NOTA parties, than when they last had under 10 MPs.
    I find long range predictions like this a little bizarre. There are whole swathes of Southern England where de facto opposition to the incumbents will spring up. In some places, like Brighton, that will come from the Greens, in Kent and Essex, it is likely to come from UKIP. But the idea that - for example - South West London will just become a one party state seems to be absurd.

Nature abhors a vacuum. If the LibDems don't fill the "opposition to the Tories in x" box, then someone else will. And I suspect in the leafy, middle class, not particularly Eurosceptic parts of South East England, that role will fall to the LibDems - unless, of course, Ms Kendall is elected, in which case it's all a bit different.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

LDs ‘now needs a street fighter and rabble rouser’. It may work, however when the LDs made their last crawl back from virtual oblivion in 1970, there were only two other main parties. - Now there is at least four others, better placed, better define as to what they stand for and each has their own tried and tested street fighters.

I also welcome Stodge' s views on this leadership race. What has not been mentioned is the effects that a massive loss of circa 500 paid political posts will have on the LDs. Gone are the MP assistants, MEP assistants, MPs, MEPs, SPADs etc. An enormous hole in the LD career ladders. No more (or 90% less) politically funded folk to turn out in by elections etc etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I find long range predictions like this a little bizarre. There are whole swathes of Southern England where de facto opposition to the incumbents will spring up. In some places, like Brighton, that will come from the Greens, in Kent and Essex, it is likely to come from UKIP. But the idea that - for example - South West London will just become a one party state seems to be absurd.

Nature abhors a vacuum. If the LibDems don't fill the "opposition to the Tories in x" box, then someone else will. And I suspect in the leafy, middle class, not particularly Eurosceptic parts of South East England, that role will fall to the LibDems - unless, of course, Ms Kendall is elected, in which case it's all a bit different.
    Not a vacuum but LDs no longer have all those strong second places to fight from. Now they have to overcome UKIP, Labour or the Greens just to get at the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Has anyone ever seen Tim Farron and Owen Jones in the same place at the same time?
    Actually...

https://politicalhyndsight.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/bbcqt-derby.jpg
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nature does abhor a vacuum, but surely it's possible that the opposition to the Tories in the seats you talk about will scatter between various parties? It's surely possible (but not definite) that the Lib Dems will never be able to "unite" all the various groups that supported them before.
  • Options
    OK, £30 @ 100.0 on Corbyn. Trading bet, obvs...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

There does seem to be a high percentage of 'Doesn't he look like...' comments on this thread.
    With the Tories probably in disarray during and after the referendum and with Labour having an uninspiring choice for leader it could be that the LibDems are back winning by-elections within two years (if there are any to win) and that could be good betting news.
  • Options

LDs ‘now needs a street fighter and rabble rouser’. It may work, however when the LDs made their last crawl back from virtual oblivion in 1970, there were only two other main parties. - Now there is at least four others, better placed, better define as to what they stand for and each has their own tried and tested street fighters.

I also welcome Stodge' s views on this leadership race. What has not been mentioned is the effects that a massive loss of circa 500 paid political posts will have on the LDs. Gone are the MP assistants, MEP assistants, MPs, MEPs, SPADs etc. An enormous hole in the LD career ladders. No more (or 90% less) politically funded folk to turn out in by elections etc etc.
    In almost every country in the developed world, with the exception of the USA, we've seen fragmentation of the political base. If you look at "top two" shares in: France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Germany, Canada, etc., there has been a fragmenting of political views. Take the Netherlands: it not has five political parties with between 14% and 21% in the polls. Spain has four.

Obviously, we have FPTP and that makes it harder for small parties, but the idea that you can't carve out a 10% to 15% niche for you and your party, whether it is Green, UKIP or LibDem, seems a huge fallacy.
  • Options
    rcs1000"And I suspect in the leafy, middle class, not particularly Eurosceptic parts of South East England, that role will fall to the LibDems "
    If that is the target vote, Lamb will probably be better than Farron. The question is what is the type of voter that the LDs desperately need to attract? Last time I checked the South West has most 2nd places (at a GE) for the LDs than other regions (stand to be corrected), but there is a strong eurosceptic vote in many seats of the south west and many of the seats have an older than average age of voter.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Not a vacuum but LDs no longer have all those strong second places to fight from. Now they have to overcome UKIP, Labour or the Greens just to get at the Conservatives.
    I can tell you that in the SW, the LibDems will not be getting a foothold back any time soon. Having got all their MP's, next we are going after their remaining sitting councillors - and with a similar ruthless efficiency.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Agree with that. Also Labour and the other parties will continue to remind voters that the LibDems kept the Tories in office for five years.
  • Options

Says he won't accept charity nominations
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Looking at the individual seats in detail, it's actually quite hard to see how the Lib Dems even got as much as 8% of the total vote. Virtually every seat I'm looking at, their vote seems to have fallen off a cliff (except, ironically, in their previous Scottish seats).

In retrospect, it's hard even to see how we all could've expected the LDs to hold onto even as many as 20 seats. It simply was never going to happen unless the Tories also suffered a sharp fall in their vote, which would've lowered the winning post in a lot of the Con/LD marginals.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That is indeed the case. Here in the SW they still have quite a few second places to try to build on, but even here they were pushed back to 4th in many places, and that is even more true in much of the rest of the country. Lacking something to lead to an upturn equally as dramatic as the 15% or so drop on average they just received, which is hard to predict in advance certainly, but definitely looks unlikely, it'll mean a long, grinding path back to fighting for seats again, as they need to fight the battle for second place first.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    rcs1000 said:

In almost every country in the developed world, with the exception of the USA, we've seen fragmentation of the political base. If you look at "top two" shares in: France, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Germany, Canada, etc., there has been a fragmenting of political views. Take the Netherlands: it not has five political parties with between 14% and 21% in the polls. Spain has four.
    Obviously, we have FPTP and that makes it harder for small parties, but the idea that you can't carve out a 10% to 15% niche for you and your party, whether it is Green, UKIP or LibDem, seems a huge fallacy.
    I do not disagree. But the LDs of 2015 are about a tenth of the paid political army that they had in 2010. That is not going to be fixed by the time of the next GE.
  • Options

Says he won't accept charity nominations
    He won't have to, assuming Burnham has nominations up his sleeve.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

I do not sneer at those who are older such as Alan Johnson or Alastair Darling mentioned below.
    No need to sneer at those who are no longer a threat.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nature does abhor a vacuum, but surely it's possible that the opposition to the Tories in the seats you talk about will scatter between various parties? It's surely possible (but not definite) that the Lib Dems will never be able to "unite" all the various groups that supported them before.
    Look at local council results in various places over the last 30 years. Forces come and forces go.

The Labour Party was tired in Liverpool, and it had been a one party state, and for no obvious reason opposition coalesced around the LibDems for a while.

The same process will happen in various places. The local council in Little Whittering will become unpopular, and maybe it'll be the LibDems that benefit, maybe it'll be Labour, maybe it'll be UKIP, and maybe it'll be the Greens.

Look: of course the LibDems could die. Nothing, not even the Conservative Party or the United Kingdom, is forever. But the suggestion that we're going to have almost everything south of the Wash as a one party state as opposition to the Conservatives fragments seems absurd.
  • Options

PClipp said:

rcs1000 said:

No need to sneer at those who are no longer a threat.
    I refrain from mocking the afflicted on this day. Unlike the LD Glee Club.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I do not disagree. But the LDs of 2015 are about a tenth of the paid political army that they had in 2010. That is not going to be fixed by the time of the next GE.
    But they now have almost as many members as they did in 2010.

They may - or may not - rebuild their local councillor base a little between now and 2020. I suspect they will make gains in 2017, 2018 and 2019.

Would you like a small wager?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

At Westminster, there are plenty of MPs that have long unchallenged careers. The leafy, middle class, not particularly Eurosceptic voters can vote for the Conservatives. The second place party will depend on what the next group of voters are in those seats: if students, then the Greens; if ethnic minority then Labour etc. You don't get two parties for every demographic.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2015
    I think @rcs1000 analysis is spot on.

At some point opposition will unite under one force - when people get sick of a government, and want them out that's what tends to happen.

• Options
    Danny565 said:

In retrospect, it's hard even to see how we all could've expected the LDs to hold onto even as many as 20 seats. It simply was never going to happen unless the Tories also suffered a sharp fall in their vote, which would've lowered the winning post in a lot of the Con/LD marginals.

Rcs1000 pointed this out many times and some of us were too timid to take that advice and bet accordingly.
  • Options

rcs1000"And I suspect in the leafy, middle class, not particularly Eurosceptic parts of South East England, that role will fall to the LibDems "
    If that is the target vote, Lamb will probably be better than Farron. The question is what is the type of voter that the LDs desperately need to attract? Last time I checked the South West has most 2nd places (at a GE) for the LDs than other regions (stand to be corrected), but there is a strong eurosceptic vote in many seats of the south west and many of the seats have an older than average age of voter.

Of course, the strong Eurosceptic vote cuts both ways: if it goes to UKIP and at the expense Conservative vote, it will lower the "hurdle" for anyone to win seats in the SW.
  • Options
    It's funny: I was by far the most pessimistic person on the site on the LDs chances in 2015. I now seem to be by far the most optimistic (12-15 seats) on 2020.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Rcs1000 pointed this out many times and some of us were too timid to take that advice and bet accordingly.
    Before you pat me on the back, I'd point out that I thought they'd end up in the mid-teens. I failed to make anywhere near the amount of money I should have done :-(
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Looking at the individual seats in detail, it's actually quite hard to see how the Lib Dems even got as much as 8% of the total vote. Virtually every seat I'm looking at, their vote seems to have fallen off a cliff (except, ironically, in their previous Scottish seats).

Well a Tory fall was expected according to the polls. And the LD-Con seats were thought to be different as Labourites-who'd-voted-LD-tactically were thought to be persuadable to doing so again.

It was the LDs that broke for the Tories that really killed them.
  • Options
    JEO said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

At Westminster, there are plenty of MPs that have long unchallenged careers. The leafy, middle class, not particularly Eurosceptic voters can vote for the Conservatives. The second place party will depend on what the next group of voters are in those seats: if students, then the Greens; if ethnic minority then Labour etc. You don't get two parties for every demographic.
    I guess I am more focussing on the next five year's local elections. The interesting questions, to me, are:

- will UKIP manage to consolidate and successfully run a number of councils?
    - will the LibDems stage any kind of recovery in their traditional areas of strength?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

But they now have almost as many members as they did in 2010.
    They may - or may not - rebuild their local councillor base a little between now and 2020. I suspect they will make gains in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
    Would you like a small wager?
    rcs1000, I might, but now have work to do and want to take a look over the weekend. So if I can get back to you or email me at topcat001 at yahoo.com
    Ciao
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    "The Lib Dems are not just empty. They are a void within a vacuum surrounded by a vast inanition." - Boris Johnson, 2003.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    Alistair said:

It seems Ruth Davidson hasn't got the memo that Westminster will never allow a second IndyRef

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jun/12/ruth-davidson-scottish-conservative-leader-interview?CMP=share_btn_tw

She predicts that there will be a second independence referendum in Scotland, which she does not want, but will not oppose. “If the SNP puts in its manifesto that it has an intention to hold a second referendum, and if it wins an outright majority, I think it does have a mandate to hold one.” Will she be making that case to Downing Street? “Yeah. Because I actually don’t think, in the longer term, Westminster saying ‘No you cannae’ will play well in Scotland, and I think that it would damage the unionist cause.”

I actually don’t think, in the longer term, Westminster saying ‘No you cannae’ will play well in Scotland, and I think that it would damage the unionist cause.”

Do you disagree with her analysis?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    About 4 years ago I met someone who was working for Farron. It was clear from what he said that every act and utterance from TF was part of an extended leadership campaign. Maybe if he had known then how little there would be left to inherit, he might not have bothered, and enjoyed the perks of ministerial office like the rest of them.

Clegg is more capable than either candidate, but of course it would have been impossible for him to carry on. Sadly, we will be seeing a lot less of Miriam on our TV screens.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    I agree with Stodge - as I do most of the time. If Norman Lamb was a bit cannier, he'd have more than a stock tweet from Dappy - he is some way behind Tim in that gut campaigning instinct.

Those reading the last rites to the Lib Dems may be premature. Everything cycles, and the tide is far far out but it rarely stays that way. However the party will change from the Westminster insiders of coalition to the street-fighting outsiders; and they've always been far stronger in that role.

3 existential risks though:
    1 - the Greens driving forward. Roughly half of Green voters in GE2015 were previous Lib Dems, we have to be the alternative to the big 2 and can't afford to be shedding support for more radical alternatives.
    2 - further scandal. With a distrusted party with 8 MPs, the journey back to being seen as the honest alternative seems far off - which is why Alistair Carmichael's actions are so unhelpful.
    3 - Liz Kendall
  • Options
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Ruth Davidson is spot on.
  • Options
    On topic, thank you Stodge for your thoughts. Who ever it is has an uphill task and much of it will be outwith his control.

I am reminded of Samuel Johnson's "Sir, there is no settling the point of precedency between a louse and a flea." Sorry to be unkind - but I fear that's about the size of it....
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Just put £50 on England at 7 with Betfair. Seems like value after England's batting performance at Edgbaston.
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

I agree with Stodge - as I do most of the time. If Norman Lamb was a bit cannier, he'd have more than a stock tweet from Dappy - he is some way behind Tim in that gut campaigning instinct.

Those reading the last rites to the Lib Dems may be premature. Everything cycles, and the tide is far far out but it rarely stays that way. However the party will change from the Westminster insiders of coalition to the street-fighting outsiders; and they've always been far stronger in that role.

3 existential risks though:
    1 - the Greens driving forward. Roughly half of Green voters in GE2015 were previous Lib Dems, we have to be the alternative to the big 2 and can't afford to be shedding support for more radical alternatives.
    2 - further scandal. With a distrusted party with 8 MPs, the journey back to being seen as the honest alternative seems far off - which is why Alistair Carmichael's actions are so unhelpful.
    3 - Liz Kendall

I think that's absolutely right.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    I've always rated Lamb highly, but I see the argument that Stodge is making. Beyond personality, though, there's a policy issue. Rightly or wrongly, Farron is seen as the radical candidate, and if he's the leader we will be back with the "who is really most left-wing?" argument between Labour and LibDems. Lamb will compete for the centre instead. Tories, I'd assume, would rather have Farron.
  • Options

On topic, thank you Stodge for your thoughts. Who ever it is has an uphill task and much of it will be outwith his control.

I am reminded of Samuel Johnson's "Sir, there is no settling the point of precedency between a louse and a flea." Sorry to be unkind - but I fear that's about the size of it....

A flea can jump higher?

:)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Tissue_Price

' Farron's approach to the coalition was self-serving and cynical throughout and for that (a) he deserves to lose and (b) he will win.'

Farron was virtually the only Lib Dem not to get a job in the coalition,was that of his own choosing or it was felt he was not competent ?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Just put £50 on England at 7 with Betfair. Seems like value after England's batting performance at Edgbaston.

I think it's value if they can keep NZ to 360 odd but England are unpredicatable atm.
  • Options
    Test Cricket - a game invented, played and watched by people with far too much time on their hands!
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Those reading the last rites to the Lib Dems may be premature. Everything cycles, and the tide is far far out but it rarely stays that way.

Tides are inevitable because of the gravity of the moon. There is no inevitability that the tide will roll back in for the LibDems. A change in fortunes has to be earned.

I can think of a fourth existential risk you have not flagged: where is the money going to come from? To be in the game, you need big money. With Short money reduced, and the tithe from councillors drastically less than it was five years ago, what donor in their right mind is going to plug the funding gap? Because there's only so many jumble sales you can hold...

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Cruel, but true - the resemblance to Red Ken is most peculiar - even more so than Kinnock and Arthur before the haircut.

• Options
    edited June 2015

I've always rated Lamb highly, but I see the argument that Stodge is making. Beyond personality, though, there's a policy issue. Rightly or wrongly, Farron is seen as the radical candidate, and if he's the leader we will be back with the "who is really most left-wing?" argument between Labour and LibDems. Lamb will compete for the centre instead. Tories, I'd assume, would rather have Farron.

Would the Tories rather have Farron? Charles Kennedy did better than Clegg even in the Con-LD marginals (and much better in the Lib-Lab marginals obviously).
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    edited June 2015
    Extracts from today's Guardian-more evidence of unionism at BBC Scotland rotting from the head due to its deadly entanglement with SLAB. This is a far more important issue than "cybernat" tweets:

"Union leaders and staff at BBC Scotland are considering industrial action in a dispute over the handling of grievance and bullying allegations against one of its most senior executives.

Union leaders are meeting BBC management on Friday to press for urgent action after the daughter of one of Scotland’s most famous politicians, the late Margo MacDonald, successfully made a complaint of bullying against BBC Scotland’s head of news and current affairs, John Boothman, the Guardian can reveal.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I think it's value if they can keep NZ to 360 odd but England are unpredicatable atm.
    Chasing 400 much tougher than making 400 first up I reckon.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited June 2015
    The big strategic issue for the LibDems, in terms of Westminster presence, is the loss of incumbency. They reached their peak as a result of two big factors: they were washed in to a load of seats in 1997 on the coat-tails of Blair's landslide (and the associated Tory collapse), and they got a second boost from Iraq. They then exploited the incumbency benefits of both of those advances with great skill and tenacity, digging-in locally and establishing very strong personal votes for their MPs.

Now that conquered territory has been comprehensively lost, and they are going to have to fight for every inch of ground all over again to get some of it back. Seats which had become safe for the LibDems - such as Eastleigh - now look safe for their opponents. Scotland is of course a disaster area all of its own.

It's going to be a hell of a tough task to recover.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    The South West has been mentioned as a possible area of recovery for the LibDems.
    Looking in my database (which has not been independently checked), in the South West...

Lab has 4 seats (Con Runner up in 3, Greens runner up in 1)
    Cons has 51 seats (Lab Runner up in 19, LD Runner up in 20, UKIP Runner up in 12)

In Con/LD seats
    Smallest swing needed to win a seat is 1.54%
    9 seats would need on a 10+% swing
    Only 5 seats would fall on a 5% swing
  • Options
    JPJ2 said:

Extracts from today's Guardian

To save OGH Lawyers letters, and cluttering up the page with acres of text in a single post, custom is to quote a para from an article that captures the gist, along with a link, so:

Union leaders are meeting BBC management on Friday to press for urgent action after the daughter of one of Scotland’s most famous politicians, the late Margo MacDonald, successfully made a complaint of bullying against BBC Scotland’s head of news and current affairs, John Boothman, the Guardian can reveal.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/12/bbc-scotland-staff-consider-industrial-action-in-dispute-over-bullying-claims
  • Options

Test Cricket - a game invented, played and watched by people with far too much time on their hands!

This is one day cricket not Test cricket!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

Chasing 400 much tougher than making 400 first up I reckon.
    There are no odds I'd take on England chasing 400 which, unfortunately for Andy, it looks like...
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546

tpfkar said:

Those reading the last rites to the Lib Dems may be premature. Everything cycles, and the tide is far far out but it rarely stays that way.

Tides are inevitable because of the gravity of the moon. There is no inevitability that the tide will roll back in for the LibDems. A change in fortunes has to be earned.

I can think of a fourth existential risk you have not flagged: where is the money going to come from? To be in the game, you need big money. With Short money reduced, and the tithe from councillors drastically less than it was five years ago, what donor in their right mind is going to plug the funding gap? Because there's only so many jumble sales you can hold...

Not on the same threat level in my view - of all the reasons the Lib Dems did badly, lack of funds is some way down the list. In fact part of the process of becoming outsiders again is being able to rail against the domination of big money in politics and how unfair it is against the big two. My understanding is that Short Money is only for opposition parties - so is this not newly available? And 16,000 new members since polling day mean that new sources of funding are available. Obviously the MPs staff and central infrastructure will be a huge loss.
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Carlotta Vance

Thank you. I just wanted to make as many people as possible aware of the entanglement of BBC Scotland with SLAB and how much more significant that is than "cybernat" tweets.

I don't think they would necessarily have spotted that aspect based on your alternative approach.

I am not generally guilty of long posts, I am sure you will concede.

To repeat my point. Much nastier real consequential political events appear to be happening in Scotland at the hands of unionism than the reverse e.g. of MacDonald:

"She took the incident to a grievance hearing which found against Boothman in early May, and has since been on long-term leave for stress. Boothman this week gave MacDonald a “fulsome” apology, BBC sources disclosed.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    rcs1000 said:

It's funny: I was by far the most pessimistic person on the site on the LDs chances in 2015. I now seem to be by far the most optimistic (12-15 seats) on 2020.

You're forgetting the now (inexplicably) banned AudreyAnne...
  • Options
    This would be the third highest ODI run chase ever if England made it even if New Zealand get no more runs...
  • Options
    JohnO said:

rcs1000 said:

You're forgetting the now (inexplicably) banned AudreyAnne...
    Why is Anne banned ?

Her predictions for SW London in particular were very profitable.
  • Options
    England doing reasonably well at restricting the run-rate in these last few overs.
  • Options
    Great catch
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Just watching QT from last night. Surprised to see Matt Hancock keeps getting put in front of the cameras for the Govt - he is not a particularly polished media performer.

Hunt and Soubry should take turns in perpetuity: probably start seeing 15% Tory leads in the polls
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,832
    Afternoon all :)

Thanks for the kind words and comments and thanks also to OGH for allowing me to clog up his website with my verbal ramblings.

I don't disagree with much of what has been said - immediately after the election I thought the entire chapter of Liberal and Lib Dem history from the instigation of community politics in 1970 had ended but I now think the Party has reverted to its pre-1997 state.

Even when it was supposedly flying high, there were vast areas of the country which neither heard nor saw anything from the party apart from isolated pockets. It's also no coincidence the electoral success of 1997 was primarily in areas of local Government strength hence the Conservative desire (as mentioned in the Spectator piece yesterday or the day before) to wipe out any LD Councillor presence in Conservative seats.

As others have said, however, nature abhors a vacuum and while some thoughtful Conservatives may understand thatthe usual old partisans seem incomprehending of mid-term and the fact that their current popularity won't last forever.

Imagine being a Conservative activist in July 1970 or June 1992 and being told where your Party would be three yerars down the road...I'm not saying it will happen but we are already seeing on both the EU Refrendum and on welfare cuts a sense that some think the Government is already over-playing its hand.

The problem is some Conservatives believe everyone who voted Conservative is a Conservative and is fully signed up to Conservative policies. I would suggest that apart from those tribal Tories who would have voted Conservative had the manifesto consited of Samantha Cameron's shopping list, many who voted Conservative did so either because they were voting for that "nice Mr Cameron" or because they didn't want a Miliband minority Government propped up by the SNP.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @rcs1000

'It's funny: I was by far the most pessimistic person on the site on the LDs chances in 2015. I now seem to be by far the most optimistic (12-15 seats) on 2020.'

I would have thought a good result for them in 2020 would be to hold their existing 8 seats.
  • Options
    Thanks Stodge for an interesting piece.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I actually don’t think, in the longer term, Westminster saying ‘No you cannae’ will play well in Scotland, and I think that it would damage the unionist cause.”

Do you disagree with her analysis?

Her analysis is spot on, Both on how well Indy would have to be pollnig before Sturgeon would risk it, in the above quote and on the button that a second loss on a soonish referendum would kill Indy dead.

I think Sturgeon has adopted a defensive, counter punch, like status on IndyRef2 - it will go into the 2016 manifesto but only if it is triggered by a Westminster/UK move. Like the much mooted UK-Out Sotland-In result in the EuroRef.

I personally think that puts the SNP in a corner which they will find it difficult to move out from. The SNP has a lot of motivated ground campaigners who have gained, and will gain further, canvassing experience - something that was really badly missing during the IndyRef - I don't know anyone who was door-to-door or even phone canvassed during IndyRef. It would be a criminal waste of resources if they were to let them melt away as the prospect of IndyRef2 faded away.

People keep saying IndyRef was like Quebec '95. I think it was more Quebec '80 and I think the lesson is not to wait 15 years before a second bite at the cherry.
  • Options
    Clearly an NATO/Billderberg/USA/Illuminati funded info-war-disinformation site designed to tarnish the glorious Ukrainian rebels who just want to be left in peace with their glorious Putin shrines and have never attacked anyone ever the Ukrainian governemnt is just shooting it's own troop

Orrrrrrr.

The rebels shot down MH17. Like they claimed they did before deleting their posts.
  • Options
    Yeah, why was Audreyanne banned. I used to love her posts, especially the Kipper-baiting.
This discussion has been closed.