Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Yvette Cooper could come 3rd on 1st preferences yet sti

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

tyson said:

Excellent thread lead Mike and Nojam.
    The peculiarities of Labour's voting system will be exposed most by a polarising figure such as Corbyn (much more so than the Ed Miliband or Harman elections). Corbyn is likely to win quite comfortably on the 1st voting preference, but unless he exceeds or is as close as exceeding 50% on the first round, he's not going to win.

It is quite simple, Corbyn just isn't going to pick up any second preferences from any of the others.

Now that I have got my head around the voting system- it naturally has checks and balances to stop a decisive figure becoming leader

You have posted a nice hostage to fortune there.
    Corbyn should never really have been on the ballot - never mind become such a divisive figure. Labour MPs threw the checks and balances out with the bath water.
    Why should Corbyn voters give anyone their second preferences?
    That is going to be a tricky one, if he wins, he almost by definition justifies his place on the ballot. If there are sufficient batshit crazy members and 3-quid members of the Labour Party that they manage to elect Corbyn, clearly he will have been vindicated as an appropriate and representative candidate.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    shadsy said:

Lots of people seem very confident that Corbyn will be receiving minimal second preference votes. However YouGov's polling showed both Burnham and Cooper supporters were only splitting 2:1 in favour of the other over Corbyn as a second pref.

So, if he gets 45% of 1st pref, I think he's a certainty. I expect 42% would make it about a 50/50 shot.

If Corbyn manages to take a third of the Burnham / Cooper transfers, then he should be pretty much home on 40%, never mind 42% - and that's assuming that 9/10 of the Kendall votes end up with Andy or Yvette and the rest are non-transferable.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

isam said:

If it wasn't for Edward Heath we'd have no migrant crisis in Calais, little threat from ISIS, no Rotherham child abuse scandal... And no ukip!

Remind me, which PM signed the Channel Tunnel agreement?
    Just what are you accusing Heath of over child abuse?
    African migrants wouldn't be storming the channel tunnel if we weren't part of the EU

Yes, they would. Unless we clamp down on those who employ them illegally, handing out 5 year sentences to those who give them work.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238
    watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

If it wasn't for Edward Heath we'd have no migrant crisis in Calais, little threat from ISIS, no Rotherham child abuse scandal... And no ukip!

African migrants wouldn't be storming the channel tunnel if we weren't part of the EU

Yes, they would. Unless we clamp down on those who employ them illegally, handing out 5 year sentences to those who give them work.
    But who would whip the vote for the government?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10626150/Mark-Harper-resigns-after-hiring-illegal-immigrant.html
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Rod Crosby

"Burnham's pitch"

.......and a good one. His ordinariness is quite a USP. It would be impossible to cast his family and friends better. Definitely improved my view of him. Perhaps it's time for an 'Ordinary Man' to become a party leader. The 5 minute clip is well worth watching
  • Options

shadsy said:

Lots of people seem very confident that Corbyn will be receiving minimal second preference votes. However YouGov's polling showed both Burnham and Cooper supporters were only splitting 2:1 in favour of the other over Corbyn as a second pref.

So, if he gets 45% of 1st pref, I think he's a certainty. I expect 42% would make it about a 50/50 shot.

If Corbyn manages to take a third of the Burnham / Cooper transfers, then he should be pretty much home on 40%, never mind 42% - and that's assuming that 9/10 of the Kendall votes end up with Andy or Yvette and the rest are non-transferable.
    My mistake - I've given Kendall's transfers going via Cooper / Burnham a one-third rating, which they shouldn't have. So yes, I'd agree with your 42% tipping point on the rest of the assumptions.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10626150/Mark-Harper-resigns-after-hiring-illegal-immigrant.html
    That's their problem, not ours.

'The MP, seen as one of the rising stars of the Conservative Party, conceded that he should have checked his cleaner’s background “more thoroughly”.'

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

If we were not part of the EU it's almost certain we would have a much stricter or at least clearer immigration policy. Without the EU rules and regs we are committed to we could deport people much more easily

Programme on bbc Parliament now, 'who won the UK general election and why'
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,718
    ydoethur said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite amazing. If the Tory Immigration Minister "conceded that he should have checked his cleaner’s background “more thoroughly”. ", how can they expect ordinary businesses to do so
    (and they should expect ordinary businesses to do so).
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Roger said:

Rod Crosby

"Burnham's pitch"

.......and a good one. His ordinariness is quite a USP. It would be impossible to cast his family and friends better. Definitely improved my view of him. Perhaps it's time for an 'Ordinary Man' to become a party leader. The 5 minute clip is well worth watching

Andy Burnham cant make his mind up what he wants though, he is the Scarecrow to the Labour Membership's Dorothy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H_3SahMLR0
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I think the lesson on AV is this: use your 2nd/3rd preferences, and use them wisely.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

If we were not part of the EU it's almost certain we would have a much stricter or at least clearer immigration policy. Without the EU rules and regs we are committed to we could deport people much more easily

Sadly not, the main reason we cant deport people is the Human Rights Act and by extension the ECHR and our judges ridiculously generous interpretations of (inter alia) The Right to Family Life. Also with illegal immigrants destroying their identify papers we have the problem of where to deport them to.

I agree that is we didn't have free movement, and have proper checks of passports and other documentation at all borders we probably would admit a lot less undesirables in the first place.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited August 2015

I think the lesson on AV is this: use your 2nd/3rd preferences, and use them wisely.

Bleurgh...

Vote for who you would like and list your preferences if you have any. If you only have one preference then vote accordingly, and don't bitch and moan if you are in the minority.

All this second guessing and listing preferences to block candidate x leaves me a little cold and seems to me an abuse of the franchise. If people just vote for who they actually want and accept that sometimes they are on the losing side, then the world may just be a teeny bit happier.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

ydoethur said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Quite amazing. If the Tory Immigration Minister "conceded that he should have checked his cleaner’s background “more thoroughly”. ", how can they expect ordinary businesses to do so
    One regularly observes that politicians find that rules that they have to comply with can be very onerous. Astonishingly, none of them ever draw the conclusion that perhaps some of the rules need to be simplified or repealed, or even that they should not be added to in a hurry.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Sandpit said:

O/T, but on this Monday morning, let us all remember that someone, somewhere, is having a much worse day than you are!
    https://twitter.com/sasagronomy/status/630651047745339392

thats made my day :)
  • Options

tyson said:

likewise I couldn't get into the head of a Tory member- the Tory mind must be full of some rather unpleasant prejudices that fortunately I cannot relate to.

Au contraire, it is a most jolly place, freed as it is from the petty vindictive humourless small-minded prejudiced pre-judged group-think assumptions of Lefties.

Life is one long party if you are a Tory.

Life is one long party political broadcast if you are a Lefty.

"freed as it is from the petty vindictive humourless small-minded prejudiced pre-judged group-think assumptions of Lefties."
    Irony isn't dead.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    A troubled coalition government is followed by a weak majority administration, at the fag-end of a failing hegemonic consensus. A radical, unorthodox leader of the opposition emerges to be ridiculed by the press and establishment. They win the next election and usher in a new consensus that last for decades. Maybe we are going back to the 70s after all?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

ydoethur said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

We can expert Mark Harper to and we can expect businesses to.

The majority of the illegal workforce are concentrated in particular areas, often with distinct middle men. For example, agency cleaning work or crop harvesting.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

shadsy said:

My mistake - I've given Kendall's transfers going via Cooper / Burnham a one-third rating, which they shouldn't have. So yes, I'd agree with your 42% tipping point on the rest of the assumptions.

I added your/shadsy scenario under "Split 2:1" above. Corbyn does win under that.

Direct link: http://show.nojam.com/a2sU/feature1.php?c=0&b=10

But will it really split like that when faced with the reality of the voting slip?

Polls and results do not necessarily have a close correlation.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

tyson said:

likewise I couldn't get into the head of a Tory member- the Tory mind must be full of some rather unpleasant prejudices that fortunately I cannot relate to.

Au contraire, it is a most jolly place, freed as it is from the petty vindictive humourless small-minded prejudiced pre-judged group-think assumptions of Lefties.

Life is one long party if you are a Tory.

Life is one long party political broadcast if you are a Lefty.

"freed as it is from the petty vindictive humourless small-minded prejudiced pre-judged group-think assumptions of Lefties."
    Irony isn't dead.
    Glad you spotted it....
  • Options

Bleurgh...

Vote for who you would like and list your preferences if you have any. If you only have one preference then vote accordingly, and don't bitch and moan if you are in the minority.

All this second guessing and listing preferences to block candidate x leaves me a little cold and seems to me an abuse of the franchise. If people just vote for who they actually want and accept that sometimes they are on the losing side, then the world may just be a teeny bit happier.

But AV is a silly system, you can end up worse off by voting than staying home, and you can harm a candidate's chances of winning by voting that candidate higher, or help a candidate by voting that candidate lower.
  • Options
    Financier said:

@LadPolitics: Tom & Jerry now 13/8 to be the Lab leader/deputy team

Even funnier than I thought.......

Do they have Spike lurking near them?
    Surely, Spike would be Prescott?
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

So a taxpayer who pays the marginal 20% rate is already more than a grand a year better off just on the tax allowance increase. The minimum wage has also risen in real terms over the same period. I remain to be convinced that the tax credit changes are any more than the undoing of the unaffordable largesse of Gordon Brown before and during the recession, now that the economy is doing well. The other big change with Universal Credit is the elimination of the 16 hours a week rules which limited working hours for benefits recipients.

Can anyone explain who is significantly worse off, apart from the parents of as yet unborn 3rd children?

Those who are just below that tax threshold, but earning just above the minimum wage or having to work reduced hours, with 2-3 children. That's actually quite a significant constituency and includes some members of my own family. It wasn't a great budget for them.

However, since they hated the tax credit system with a passion having been overpaid (and then received threatening letters) or underpaid (and then having to go through the time-consuming and expensive ritual of appealing) for five consecutive years, I imagine they will somehow live with their loss.

The tax credit system is an absolute joke, or it would be if it were funny. It was by far the worst and most costly mistake Labour ever made, not forgetting the Iraq War - and what was even more bizarre is that they are still very proud of it because they believe that expensively cocking up every year and then being smug about it was in some way helping the poorest!
    Brown-nose politics/ economics for you?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Bleurgh...

But AV is a silly system, you can end up worse off by voting than staying home, and you can harm a candidate's chances of winning by voting that candidate higher, or help a candidate by voting that candidate lower.
    I sort of see your point, but to say "you can end up worse off by voting than staying home" is just errant nonsense.

If I only have one preference and I vote for that then I am effectively casting my vote as FPtP. And I should accept the result, whatever that is.

If I cast two or more preferences, then I must also accept that others who are voting are also casting their votes similarly and the winner will be decided on who has enough over-all support.

All this moaning about not ending up with who you want is just not accepting that you are on the losing side.

If everybody is an honest actor in the vote, then whilst there can be some statistical anomalies, the result should be accepted as the will of the electorate.

AV has problems, as do STV, FPtP and AV^2, but that's not the point of my post.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,222
    Roger said:

Rod Crosby

"Burnham's pitch"

Except his wife says that on the very first day at Uni he told her he wanted to be an MP. Nothing wrong in that in itself, but it does rather undermine his argument a little.
  • Options

Bleurgh...

There's no contradiction under AV between voting for who you want and listing further preferences for X and Y to stop Z.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

I added your/shadsy scenario under "Split 2:1" above. Corbyn does win under that.

Direct link: http://show.nojam.com/a2sU/feature1.php?c=0&b=10

But will it really split like that when faced with the reality of the voting slip?

Polls and results do not necessarily have a close correlation.

That's a quite plausible scenario IMO. Interestingly, Corbyn wins with a bit of room to spare on those figures.

Of course we have only very limited information on the intentions of Labour members, and still less on the intentions of the union sign-ups and the £3 brigade. All the same I think Corbyn should be clear favourite.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    edited August 2015

ydoethur said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

It depends very much on the situation, and the punishments on offer need to be suitable for both the case of an individual not spotting an error in their cleaner's paperwork and a farmer who pays 20 quid a day each for 50 people to a middleman to harvest the crops, no questions asked.

The former case is like a stoner caught with a spliff and deserves a fine the first time, the latter case is more like two dealers exchanging drugs by the suitcase and they should be looking at the same long stretch of porridge.
  • Options

Thank you for your hard work on this AV thread.

We need more AV themed threads.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I saw Martin Lewis on Sky earlier saying that a new EU directive about mortgage affordability is coming in and lenders here are already complying with it.

It means that if you already have a mortgage and get a cheaper deal - in many cases you CAN'T get it because the new rules bar you. So if you're paying say £750pcm, get a deal for £500pcm - you're ineligible on the revised criteria.

It's a complete nonsense and he's making a big fuss about it - but seriously - who thought this stupid policy up?
    antifrank said:

ydoethur said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

One regularly observes that politicians find that rules that they have to comply with can be very onerous. Astonishingly, none of them ever draw the conclusion that perhaps some of the rules need to be simplified or repealed, or even that they should not be added to in a hurry.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Indigo said:

Bleurgh...

I sort of see your point, but to say "you can end up worse off by voting than staying home" is just errant nonsense.
    9x B>C>A
    8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B

In this case A wins after C is eliminated. If 3 of the first group stayed at home C would have won which would have been preferable to them to A winning.
    (http://rangevoting.org/TBlecture.html#partic)
  • Options

Bleurgh...

There's no contradiction under AV between voting for who you want and listing further preferences for X and Y to stop Z.
    That's not quite what I said.

If you cast your votes trying to game the system and end up with somebody you didn't really want then you shouldn't moan about it. Vote for who you want, then at least if you don't get the result, you can at least recognise that it was not the will of the electorate rather than a mix-up of tactical voting.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Barber, there was a video before the referendum on AV which explained how getting fewer first preferences votes could actually lead to someone winning when they would've lost if they'd had more (due to the impact on other candidates for the seat).

It's a ridiculous system.
  • Options

Bleurgh...

That's not quite what I said.

If you cast your votes trying to game the system and end up with somebody you didn't really want then you shouldn't moan about it. Vote for who you want, then at least if you don't get the result, you can at least recognise that it was not the will of the electorate rather than a mix-up of tactical voting.
    Quite. And one wonders why the general public, when offered AV for Parliamentary elections, rejected the idea with a clear majority. ;)
  • Options

@LadPolitics: Tom & Jerry now 13/8 to be the Lab leader/deputy team

Even funnier than I thought.......

joke odds too!
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Bleurgh...

9x B>C>A
    8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B

In this case A wins after C is eliminated. If 3 of the first group stayed at home C would have won which would have been preferable to them to A winning.
    they cast a vote for A (yes it was the 3rd pref, but it was still a vote).
    If they didn't want A at all, they didn't have to cast a vote for them
    Would the result have been the same if the 3rd prefs for A were not cast?

• Options
    Paging scrap heap.

I can't access the fantasy football league table this morning.

Can you let me know if I'm above you in the league table.

*Innocent face*
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Roger said:

His ordinariness is quite a USP. ... Perhaps it's time for an 'Ordinary Man' to become a party leader. The 5 minute clip is well worth watching

Roger's unbroken streak continues...

@GuidoFawkes: That career trajectory in full: Wanted to be an MP aged 18 > Researcher > SpAd > MP > Minister > Leadership contender http://t.co/rwUH7LQFnK
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Plato said:

I saw Martin Lewis on Sky earlier saying that a new EU directive about mortgage affordability is coming in and lenders here are already complying with it.

It means that if you already have a mortgage and get a cheaper deal - in many cases you CAN'T get it because the new rules bar you. So if you're paying say £750pcm, get a deal for £500pcm - you're ineligible on the revised criteria.

It's a complete nonsense and he's making a big fuss about it - but seriously - who thought this stupid policy up?

More details here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/mortgages/2015/04/mortgages-warning-EU?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=hiya&utm_term=29-Apr-15-v4&utm_campaign=news&utm_content=5
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I have written to Baroness Altmann, copy to Sajid Javid & Charles Counsell (at the Pensions Regulator), regarding the nonsense of small companies having to set up autoenrolment pension schemes which will never have any members.

We shall see whether the government will really does want to get rid of lunatic red tape, as you couldn't find a better example or one which could be so easily sorted out with zero downside.

I'm not holding my breath..
  • Options

Mr. Barber, there was a video before the referendum on AV which explained how getting fewer first preferences votes could actually lead to someone winning when they would've lost if they'd had more (due to the impact on other candidates for the seat).

It's a ridiculous system.

Before we go too far down the rabbit-hole, I'm not an advocate for or defending AV.
    I just think that whatever the system, you should honestly vote for whom you want to win.
    AV allows you to express this in preferential order, this is all.
  • Options
    By the way that Liz Kendall election video is really bad isn't it? So contrived and dated
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    JWisemann said:

A troubled coalition government is followed by a weak majority administration, at the fag-end of a failing hegemonic consensus. A radical, unorthodox leader of the opposition emerges to be ridiculed by the press and establishment. They win the next election and usher in a new consensus that last for decades. Maybe we are going back to the 70s after all?

and then you woke up from your wet dream.......and realised it was 2020 and the tories had just won a landslide victory :)
  • Options

After today, everyone on here will fully understand AV, and there will never be arguments over it again...

• Options
    The lunatic left's call to arms? Votes for cash! If the Tories had been using the call, at least the cash would be coming your way. It does however underline the left's grip on economics and its attitude to democracy.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    kjohnw said:

JWisemann said:

and then you woke up from your wet dream.......and realised it was 2020 and the tories had just won a landslide victory :)
    I'm honestly trying to work out which bit is which ...

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    :lol:

kjohnw said:

JWisemann said:

I'm honestly trying to work out which bit is which ...

• Options

Bleurgh...

Isn't that FPTP?
  • Options
    agingjbagingjb Posts: 76
    So Jeremy Corbyn will possibly win under AV, and almost certainly win under FPTP.

What's the problem>
  • Options
    Indigo said:

isam said:

Sadly not, the main reason we cant deport people is the Human Rights Act and by extension the ECHR and our judges ridiculously generous interpretations of (inter alia) The Right to Family Life. Also with illegal immigrants destroying their identify papers we have the problem of where to deport them to.

I agree that is we didn't have free movement, and have proper checks of passports and other documentation at all borders we probably would admit a lot less undesirables in the first place.
    Put illegal immigrants into prison for three years, working on the chain gang during the day, and if they behave impeccably during that time, give them UK citizenship at the end of it
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

About the only bit that can be considered true is: "A radical, unorthodox leader of the opposition emerges to be ridiculed by the press and establishment."

Troubled coalition: No. Whilst it had its faults, it was a stable government that did surprisingly well considering the economic situation (amongst other things)

followed by a weak majority administration: No, this is a majority government. Time will tell if that lasts especially with the EU ref. But Labour's naval gazing is making life easy for the Tories ATM.

at the fag-end of a failing hegemonic consensus: nice turn of phrase, but still nonsense.

Maybe we are going back to the 70s after all?: Only perhaps in fashion. I blame the hipsters.

Speaking of hipsters... Why did the hipster burn his lips?

• Options
    Mr. Nabavi, hope you get a decent reply.
  • Options
    State of the nation... What are we bringing up?

In China they darent even answer the teachers back

https://twitter.com/dailymailuk/status/630693513324314624
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Bleurgh...

9x B>C
    8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B

In this case. Yes.

9x B>C
    8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B

Is a win for A after C is eliminated in the second round. If 3 B>C stay at home we get

8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B
    6x B>C

B is now eliminated leaving C to win with 13 votes to 8
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I have a question - will we get to see the second and third preferences of all of the candidates? So if Corbyn were to be beaten in a runoff with Burnham/Cooper, will we get to find out if it would have been beneficial for some of Corbyn's supporters to have backed Burnham or Cooper to get a different opponent in the runoff?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Odds:

Meaningless flim-flam: 1/10
    Substantive reply but no action: 10/1
    Actually doing something: 1000/1
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Bleurgh...

9x B>C>A
    8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B

Yes, of course. There's only three candidates, your third preference never actually gets counted
  • Options

Odds:

Meaningless Flim-Flam: 1/10
    Substantive reply but no action: 10/1
    Actually doing something: 1000/1
    No reply whatsoever : Fav
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, think you've over-priced a seemingly substantial reply but that contains no real action.
  • Options
    I just came across this site

http://www.ericgorr.net/condorcet/

Which does AV calculations is exquisite detail with a whole range of different voting options and lots of generated output to consider, fun for a few minutes ;)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Indigo said:

isam said:

I would imagine he is trying in his own unique way to say we would have control of our own borders. The ability to not admit, and to expel undesirables would certainly have heavily reduced the problems cited above. However the problem isn't so much Heath and the lamentable European Communities Act, as the EHCR and the extraordinarily abused Article 8.
    Although a lot of the problems seem to be our fault.

Judicial interpretation of Article 8, which could - if done carefully - be limited by Parliamentary guidance.

This health insurance scam today seems to be (a) the NHS issuing cards too easily and (b) the NHS not checking that foreign claims comply with the requirements (principally emergency).

There is a lot we can do ourselves to fix the problems. It's not just the EU's fault.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Roger said:

Rod Crosby

"Burnham's pitch"

I don't really think an ordinary person is necessary in any way, I really don't mind if someone is pretty darn odd if they seem effective and competent. That said, it does appear to put people off, and as weak a campaign as I think Burnham has had, he does seem very very ordinary, so he has that at least.

After today, everyone on here will fully understand AV, and there will never be arguments over it again...

You can never have too many AV threads, this is well known
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Bleurgh...

9x B>C
    8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B

In this case. Yes.

9x B>C
    8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B

Is a win for A after C is eliminated in the second round. If 3 B>C stay at home we get

8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B
    6x B>C

OK, I see your point... but as I said back down-thread: there are statistical anomalies. In the most cases these perverse outcomes are just not all that relevant. Besides, I wouldn't choose AV over FPtP let alone STV or AV^2
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2015
    In relation to Ferguson protests, I notice that the likes of the BBC keep repeating "white police officer shot unarmed black teenager"...rather than criminal was shot after attempting to wrestle gun from police officer and refused arrest.

There have been other incidents where the police have not acted properly, but an investigation of all the evidence found that in this case the officer acted properly.

I think it is very dangerous to keep repeating half the story, as this is how it all kicked off in the first place.
  • Options

In relation to Ferguson protests, I notice that the likes of the BBC keep repeating "white police officer shot unarmed black teenager"...rather than criminal was shot after attempting to wrestle gun from police officer and refused arrest.

There have been other incidents where the police have not acted properly, but an investigation of all the evidence found that in this case the officer acted properly.

I think it is very dangerous to keep repeating half the story, as this is how it all kicked off in the first place.

I wonder if they'll organise a 'Songs of Praise' from Alabama?
  • Options
    Plato said:

antifrank said:

ydoethur said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

isam said:

That's already the case with our own mortgage regulations.

Some of the contortions that I've seen people go through are really very amusing.

"Ok, Mr X. your total assets are $3 billion and your annual income is $150 million. You want to borrow $20 million to buy a house in the country. How much do you spend on gas and electricity each month?"
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Indigo said:

In this case. Yes.

9x B>C
    8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B

8x A>B>C
    7x C>A>B
    6x B>C

OK, I see your point... but as I said back down-thread: there are statistical anomalies. In the most cases these perverse outcomes are just not all that relevant. Besides, I wouldn't choose AV over FPtP let alone STV or AV^2
    The Tory system while less democratic at least means that the MPs don't get saddled with a leader they cant work with, a problem Labour is likely to discover shortly.

Regarding the statistical anomalies, the research appears to show (as I mentioned down thread) that if you get a different result from AV than you would have done under FPtP, its 50% likely that some of the voters would have got a preferable result if they had stayed at home.
  • Options
    isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

Put illegal immigrants into prison for three years, working on the chain gang during the day, and if they behave impeccably during that time, give them UK citizenship at the end of it
    Chain gangs negatively impact low-skilled legal residents by undermining the price they can charge for their labour.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

Chain gangs negatively impact low-skilled legal residents by undermining the price they can charge for their labour.
    ... and if they don't behave impeccably so you cant give them citizenship, you have the same problem as now, only they are even more pissed off!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

So does free movement of labour within the EU but enough people seem to be in favour of it.

Anyway if the deterrent works it won't be a problem
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

... and if they don't behave impeccably so you cant give them citizenship, you have the same problem as now, only they are even more pissed off!
    They stay in prison
  • Options
    isam said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

They stay in prison
    at 70k or so a year, it would be cheaper to pay them benefits and have done with it!

The answer is proper border security, don't let the wrong people in and you wont have a problem deciding what to do with them, and proper deterrent sentences from people giving these criminals jobs. Personally I would take the Swiss model further and outlaw rough sleeping and at the same time fund sufficient government/charity hostels to house the rough sleeping population.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Tories slipping back in Scotland, I think privately Ruth D will be very pissed off at Cameron:

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news/snp-holds-poll-lead-in-spite-of-mixed-views-on-record-in-government
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Rod Crosby

"Burnham's pitch"

I don't really think an ordinary person is necessary in any way, I really don't mind if someone is pretty darn odd if they seem effective and competent. That said, it does appear to put people off, and as weak a campaign as I think Burnham has had, he does seem very very ordinary, so he has that at least.

Clem Attlee struck many people, including Churchill, as quite ordinary.
  • Options
    Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

Random silly idea of the day - allow prisons charge farmers minimum wage for the use of the chain gangs, to earn some money for the Justice department? Or would 'Uman Rights get in the way?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Indigo said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

They stay in prison
    at 70k or so a year, it would be cheaper to pay them benefits and have done with it!

The answer is proper border security, don't let the wrong people in and you wont have a problem deciding what to do with them, and proper deterrent sentences from people giving these criminals jobs. Personally I would take the Swiss model further and outlaw rough sleeping and at the same time fund sufficient government/charity hostels to house the rough sleeping population.
    They'll be working 12 hours a day 7 days a week so that should pay some of the 70k back.

It will be money well spent if it deters the bogus asylum seekers
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Thanks to PB for the Nojam play thingy.It an excellent resource as are Oddschecker's dutching and hutching calculators.
  • Options
    calum said:

Tories slipping back in Scotland, I think privately Ruth D will be very pissed off at Cameron:

http://www.tns-bmrb.co.uk/news/snp-holds-poll-lead-in-spite-of-mixed-views-on-record-in-government

Really only one stat in there:

"97% of those who voted SNP in the general election plan to do so again for Holyrood."
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    calum said:

Sure - blaming somebody else seems to be popular north of the Border so perhaps if Ruth joins in she might see a poll bump.
  • Options
    calum said:

Yeah being PM who defeated Salmond in a referendum to keep Scotland in the UK, then winning a national election the following year to keep a national Conservative government in power in Scotland. What a dreadful deal for the Scottish Conservatives Cameron has been.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

They stay in prison

They'll be working 12 hours a day 7 days a week so that should pay some of the 70k back.

It will be money well spent if it deters the bogus asylum seekers
    Almost certain you will violate ECHR Article 4 with that one, its all fun ;)
  • Options
    Some startling stats on tax credits in this piece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/georgeosborne/11794114/Tax-credits-betray-the-hard-working-majority.-Scrapping-them-only-harms-the-workshy.html

"For seven out of 10 of all couples claiming WTC, one adult (usually the woman) doesn’t work at all.

And for couples who claim WTC, only two thirds have a main breadwinner who works 35 or more hours a week, with a third of claimant households having no one working full-time at all"

• Options
    isam said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

They stay in prison
    Maybe its just me but I'd rather use prison spaces to house actual criminals.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Catching up with Phil Hammond's comments.

Nasty and intemperate.

He joins Priti Patel on the list of leadership contenders I won't be voting for.

Come on Mr Eagles,stop being so bloody PC.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

Random silly idea of the day - allow prisons charge farmers minimum wage for the use of the chain gangs, to earn some money for the Justice department? Or would 'Uman Rights get in the way?
    I'd imagine that you would have to pay the workers the minimum wage, although you could make a charge for bed and board, I suppose.

You'd also have to bear in mind the cost of monitoring prisoners in the field to avoid absconding.
  • Options

calum said:

Yeah being PM who defeated Salmond in a referendum to keep Scotland in the UK, then winning a national election the following year to keep a national Conservative government in power in Scotland. What a dreadful deal for the Scottish Conservatives Cameron has been.
    Touched a raw nerve there !!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

calum said:

Sure - blaming somebody else seems to be popular north of the Border so perhaps if Ruth joins in she might see a poll bump.
    No Farren bounce for the LibDems either.
  • Options
    calum said:

calum said:

Touched a raw nerve there !!
    If you mean you touched a nerve of mine, then no I just found it incredibly bemusing. If you didn't sorry it wasn't clear to me.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    tlg86 said:

I have a question - will we get to see the second and third preferences of all of the candidates? So if Corbyn were to be beaten in a runoff with Burnham/Cooper, will we get to find out if it would have been beneficial for some of Corbyn's supporters to have backed Burnham or Cooper to get a different opponent in the runoff?

Safe to assume Corbyn supporters are likely to vote for Corbyn 1st with no further prefences as the Welfare Bill showed all his 3 opponents are the same.It needs to be remembered each candidate will have a GOTV operation.If Corbyn continues to recruit young people with lots of energy,his is likely to show a distinct benefit.People are genuinely enthused by his campaign but that will need turning into envelopes being delivered to post boxes.Such a campaign could just get him over the edge on a higher than expected 1st prefence vote and Andy Burnham's 2nd preferences.Kendall's vote will bump up Cooper to beat Burnham.
    First time I have said this and believed it,Jeremy Corbyn is going to win.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,443
    edited August 2015

Nasty and intemperate.

He joins Priti Patel on the list of leadership contenders I won't be voting for.

Genghis Khan was a marauder.

I thought the criticism over swarm was nonsense but I guess I'm taking Hammond's too literally.

My OED says marauders are thieves and attackers of people.

I took it he was lumping all illegal immigrants in the marauder category
  • Options

isam said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

isam said:

Indigo said:

isam said:

They stay in prison
    Maybe its just me but I'd rather use prison spaces to house actual criminals.
    Maybe it's just me but I'd say the word 'illegal' in 'illegal immigrants' means they are actual criminals
  • Options
    Running the numbers through Scotland Votes:

SNP - 78 (+9)
    Labour - 25 (-12)
    Tories - 15 (n/c)
    LibDems - 2 (-3)
    Greens - 9 (+7)

• Options

Nasty and intemperate.

I thought the criticism over swarm was nonsense but I guess I'm taking Hammond's too literally.

I think the word you use "illegal" covers it - all are lawbreakers.

• Options
    Just seen an interesting piece about Kids Company. The board of trustee's was / are

Yentob (chairman);
    Richard Handover, chief executive of W H Smith
    Sunetra Atkinson, ex wife of the entertainer Rowan Atkinson, a former BBC make-up artist
    Erica Bolton (2005), an arts world PR.
    Jayne Tyler, a law firm partner who lists herself as an expert in EU law and company acquisitions
    Francesca Robinson – a recruitment firm principal.
    Andrew Webster – who has been a Trustee of the Astrozeneca Pension Fund, and worked earlier in his career as a HR manager for an engineering company.

Not a single person with any experience of or qualifications relating to child protection.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Red on Red.

'A senior Labour MP has called for its leadership contest to be "paused" over fears it has been infiltrated by supporters of other parties.'

Diane Abbott say's it 'ridiculous' and suggests he's only complaining because his favoured candidate, Kendall, is losing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33849534
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Indigo said:

The Tory system while less democratic at least means that the MPs don't get saddled with a leader they cant work with, a problem Labour is likely to discover shortly.

TBF the Labour system had a way to prevent that as well, the MPs just had the bright idea of working around it...
  • Options

Bleurgh...

Quite.
    It's only 'sophisticated' electorates, such as Labour MPs, who try to game the system that mess things up.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,674

kle4 said:

Roger said:

Rod Crosby

"Burnham's pitch"

Clem Attlee struck many people, including Churchill, as quite ordinary.
    Ah, but he married well - any Tory who can scare the willies out of Special Branch with her driving has to be a goodun........
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Nasty and intemperate.

I think the word you use "illegal" covers it - all are lawbreakers.

Have you ever driven over the speed limit ?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Nasty and intemperate.

But you agree with Hammonds sentiment though on mass immigration from Africa ?