Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeb Bush, 6/4 favourite for the GOP nomination, slips to 7

124»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited August 2015
    AndyJS said:

The same month Callaghan returned from a Caribbean holiday and reportedly said "Crisis, what crisis?" when told of the rubbish piling up on the streets. (In fact he didn't use that particular phrase).

I heard someone say once that an interesting difference between Britain and America is that most Americans have worked as waiters or waitresses at some point whereas in the UK the majority of people would rather not do that particular job under any circumstances.

Callaghan never said that. His exact words were:

Well, that's a judgment that you are making. I promise you that if you look at it from outside, and perhaps you're taking rather a parochial view at the moment, I don't think that other people in the world would share the view that there is mounting chaos.

The next day's (11th Jan '79) edition of The Sun featured the famous headline "Crisis? What crisis?".
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    I'll give this for traveling by train - if you're lucky, you can at least fall asleep on the journey, which makes it better than most forms of transportation.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    Has anyone made the very politically incorrect allegation that maybe the reason Kids Company collapsed weeks after the general election could have been because they were holding out for a different type of government that might have been more "generous" in bailing them out with multi-million pound grants?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

We left the UK in Jan 1979.

Maggie-phobia?

:)

She wasn't in power yet. You couldn't buy petrol, and life was tough. Garbage in the streets. Enough was enough. The only way we got to say farewell to relatives was by renting cars (which came with a full tank of gas).

It was well over a decade before we wanted to come back for a visit.
    Maybe you left because you were worried about her coming to power? Or you could have waited till May that year!
    My uncle threatened to emigrate in 79 because of Maggie. It wasn't her politics, it was that he refused to be ruled by a woman!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    AndyJS said:

The same month Callaghan returned from a Caribbean holiday and reportedly said "Crisis, what crisis?" when told of the rubbish piling up on the streets. (In fact he didn't use that particular phrase).

I heard someone say once that an interesting difference between Britain and America is that most Americans have worked as waiters or waitresses at some point whereas in the UK the majority of people would rather not do that particular job under any circumstances.

Useless fact: Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick by Ian Dury was number one in the British charts in Jan '79.

Most kids do it to get pocket money or pay their way through college. Most people here tip at least 20%. You have to earn money somehow.

• Options
    I did say he didn't actually say it. Thanks for the exact quote though.

AndyJS said:

Well, that's a judgment that you are making. I promise you that if you look at it from outside, and p erhaps you're taking rather a parochial view at the moment, I don't think that other people in the world would share the view that there is mounting chaos.

The next day's (11th Jan '79) edition of The Sun featured the famous headline "Crisis? What crisis?".
  • Options
    edited August 2015

AndyJS said:

Well, that's a judgment that you are making. I promise you that if you look at it from outside, and perhaps you're taking rather a parochial view at the moment, I don't think that other people in the world would share the view that there is mounting chaos.

That's my birthday. We left 4 days later.

It made a good title for a Supertramp album though.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Useless fact: Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick by Ian Dury was number one in the British charts in Jan '79.

Most kids do it to get pocket money or pay their way through college. Most people here tip at least 20%. You have to earn money somehow.

I've also heard it said that the reason the tipping culture is so entrenched in the US is because most people have worked in cafes and restaurants and therefore sympathise with those receiving the tips. That isn't the case in Europe so much.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'll give this for traveling by train - if you're lucky, you can at least fall asleep on the journey, which makes it better than most forms of transportation.

I prefer to stay awake so I can spot all those junctions, stations and bridges and other track-side stuff :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

I've also heard it said that the reason the tipping culture is so entrenched in the US is because most people have worked in cafes and restaurants and therefore sympathise with those receiving the tips. That isn't the case in Europe so much.
    Yup.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    kle4 said:

I've tried Trains, Buses, Airplanes and Ships.

I can tell you that you don't wan't to fall asleep on a Train or a Bus or else you might end up lost, but in planes and ships even if you wanted too it's a little difficult due to turbulence or waves.

And on that goodnight.
  • Options

@foxinthesoxuk It's interesting to see the contrast between your experiences and @Tim_B's in regard to the US. I've been there on Holiday (Florida, New York were the states I've been to) and although it's a nice place to go to, I'm not too sure I'd want to live there. The lifestyle would be too different, for me. I that sense I can understand your brother preferring to live in Cambridge.

I was in Colorado for three months in 2011. Also went to conferences before that in New Mexico, Utah and also Alberta in Canada.
    What conferences did you go to?
    Boring ones - only joking :lol:

2005, 2007, 2009 Frontiers of NMR in Molecular Biology. '05 was Alberta (Banff), '07 was Snowbird, UT, and '09 was Santa Fe, NM.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    According to the New Statesman editor, a Gordon Brown endorsement is on the way. One would presume it would be for Cooper? Or possibly Burnham I suppose.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    kle4 said:

As more than one person on this site will attest falling asleep on a train is not always a good thing. My own worst is Polegate when I meant to get off at Haywards Heath but I understand the PB falling asleep on the train record is held by a gentleman who came to in Bournemouth when Herstmere was his actual destination.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    AndyJS said:

Has anyone made the very politically incorrect allegation that maybe the reason Kids Company collapsed weeks after the general election could have been because they were holding out for a different type of government that might have been more "generous" in bailing them out with multi-million pound grants?

There were a lot of social housing tenants, who having not contributed a penny to their rent from their own back pockets for decades, had deliberately refused to set up payment schedule to make up for the removal of the spare room subsidy on the assumption that Labour would win and abolish the 'bedroom tax'. It's also a reason why many social landlords were not taking action against those who had built up arrears.

• Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

The list prices might well reflect the tips received as well and incentivise good service. I'm thinking its paying through college, which can take longer than over here I believe, which prompts the young. My memory is of older people as well.
    We do not appreciate or value good service over here - although that might be changing a bit.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    AndyJS said:
    FWIW I think that's a bit long. Still meeting people who are opting for Cooper after lengthy indecision. Anecdotal, but I think she'll be second in the next poll with a bit of momentum.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited August 2015

kle4 said:

As more than one person on this site will attest falling asleep on a train is not always a good thing. My own worst is Polegate when I meant to get off at Haywards Heath but I understand the PB falling asleep on the train record is held by a gentleman who came to in Bournemouth when Herstmere was his actual destination.
    Oh, I don't sleep well on a train, so I've never missed a stop (close, though) - but I really dislike traveling (a real hindrance as there are many places I would like to go - any trip of any length often makes me feel way more drained than it should), and uncomfortable, fitful sleep at least makes it pass a little better than interminable car, bus or plane journeys.

And a pleasant night to all.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Is Hassocks station still there?
  • Options

@Scrapheap

After all the first round of Premier League fixtures have been completed, how am I doing in the fantasy football and how are you doing?

Uncanny how we are following our respective football teams positions
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

@foxinthesoxuk It's interesting to see the contrast between your experiences and @Tim_B's in regard to the US. I've been there on Holiday (Florida, New York were the states I've been to) and although it's a nice place to go to, I'm not too sure I'd want to live there. The lifestyle would be too different, for me. I that sense I can understand your brother preferring to live in Cambridge.

My introduction to the US was as a 15 year old in the mid 1960s, staying with the family of a friend of my father's for an entire summer. We went camping to New England and to Virginia, went up the Empire State Building and I loved it all. Compared to the winter of discontent it was great. Then you go native and there's no going back.

In fact we've never lost touch and I'm going up to stay with the family for a few days in October.
    1960s US must be a world a way from how it is now!

Hope you have a good time in October btw.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

I think that is very true. Saturday and evening jobs are very important in learning a work ethic, I started work at 16 on top of my studies, even when at med school. One place I worked in the kitchen and it was an inverted society with all the casual staff being students and all the permanent and managerial staff having left school at 16. It was a great leveller. Signing on the dole is something everyone should do too. In those days University students could get Supplementary benefit in the summer holidays. Being treated with contempt by unhelpful dole office staff helped me understand how the other half live.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I've been to Polegate too (by virtue of it being roughly 50 miles from London).
  • Options

Tim_B said:

My introduction to the US was as a 15 year old in the mid 1960s, staying with the family of a friend of my father's for an entire summer. We went camping to New England and to Virginia, went up the Empire State Building and I loved it all. Compared to the winter of discontent it was great. Then you go native and there's no going back.

In fact we've never lost touch and I'm going up to stay with the family for a few days in October.

Actually not - it's still recognizable, though changed.

England unfortunately isn't.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Things not getting better in Greece:

"Chaos has broken out on the Greek island of Kos amid attempts to relocate hundreds of migrants to a football stadium for registration.
    Police officers used batons and sprayed fire extinguishers as they tried to impose order on the crowds.
    It comes after an officer on Kos was suspended for slapping one man while brandishing a knife.
    Authorities are struggling with a rapidly growing number of migrants who have arrived hoping for a better life."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33861290

Kos had a population of 19000 in the last census, illegal immigrants there are now 7000, up from almost nil last year.
    If the rate of immigration continues the islanders will be a minority by the end of next year.

In theory if the Turks gave those illegal immigrants weapons they could overpower the local authorities already with ease, an Islamic Caliphate on the Aegean is not out of the question seeing the tricks Turkey plays in Syria.
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

"Chaos has broken out on the Greek island of Kos amid attempts to relocate hundreds of migrants to a football stadium for registration.
    Police officers used batons and sprayed fire extinguishers as they tried to impose order on the crowds.
    It comes after an officer on Kos was suspended for slapping one man while brandishing a knife.
    Authorities are struggling with a rapidly growing number of migrants who have arrived hoping for a better life."

Kos had a population of 19000 in the last census, illegal immigrants there are now 7000, up from almost nil last year.
    If the rate of immigration continues the islanders will be a minority by the end of next year.

In theory if the Turks gave those illegal immigrants weapons they could overpower the local authorities already with ease, an Islamic Caliphate on the Aegean is not out of the question seeing the tricks Turkey plays in Syria.
    It sounds awful for the locals. All EU nations should co-operate to turn back the illegals from these islands.
    How?
    The Syrians, the Iraqis, the Afghans, the Libyans and the Somalis have no country to return too. Pretty ironic that the West gave a hand to the disappearance of those states.
    They're coming from Turkey. Turn them back. They do have countries to return to. They just want something better, which is understandable, but we hav no reason to indulge them.
  • Options
    Watching "The Faculty" on ITV2, with a very young Elijah Wood, Josh Hartnett, Famke Janssen, and Jon Stewart (of ex-Daily Show fame).
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Tim_B said:

kle4 said:

Is Hassocks station still there?
    Not only still there, Mr. B., but newly rebuilt and poshed up, Unfortunately the frequency of trains stopping there has not been improved and the local cab companies don't like working in the evenings.

The College, as you will remember it is still there too but now very much extended with new buildings and new all weather sports fields. Though the sons and daughters of the military are far less in evidence the College is still filling the same educational niche as it always has.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Actually not - it's still recognizable, though changed.

England unfortunately isn't.
    I think that is more a phenomenon of living in a place rather than intermittently visiting. If you live in a place the change is insidious while if you visit intermittently then it leaps out at you and jars.

• Options
    Anyone who thinks Cameron and Hammond were overestimating the wide scale of the migrant problem will have to cut out from their minds what is happening on the Greek Islands. The issue is far far bigger than a fence at Calais.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4524757.ece
    ''Hundreds of riot police were deployed to the Greek islands yesterday after migrants began fighting for food and identity documents.
    Local authorities on islands such as Kos sent desperate pleas to Athens for armed riot police as the mayor of the Aegean holiday resort said that the refugee crisis would end in bloodshed without assistance from the capital.''
    It seems inevitable that the system will have to change - ''the head of the German police union called for the re-introduction of internal border controls, abolished under the Schengen agreement in 1995.''
    The rioters in Greece will still get documents that allow them to travel to say Germany. Its clear that this scale of things cannot continue. But is there a solution? And if so on which continent does it lie?
    What will be the Labour party's solution under its new leader?
    Its not hard to imagine Cameron pushing at an open door when it comes to reform.
  • Options
    I've been to Atlanta once, changing planes at the airport in February 1993. We bought an "Atlanta 1996 Olympics" T-shirt and baseball cap IIRC.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

More than the £3 million they were getting from that nice Mr Cameron? It seems a stretch.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited August 2015
    Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

It sounds awful for the locals. All EU nations should co-operate to turn back the illegals from these islands.
    How?
    The Syrians, the Iraqis, the Afghans, the Libyans and the Somalis have no country to return too. Pretty ironic that the West gave a hand to the disappearance of those states.
    On Syrian refugees -

I'm sure Saudi Arabia,Iran and Russia could take they fare share of refugees,seeming these countries are playing they part in the civil war .
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kle4 said:

If you're careful, you can sleep on horseback as well.

I've slept across most of Estonia and Iceland in the past - when I tried it in Scotland, though, I got stuck in a bog...
  • Options

AndyJS said:

More than the £3 million they were getting from that nice Mr Cameron? It seems a stretch.
    They probably regarded that as peanuts.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    I have just watched Newsnight and the Farkhunda film. It is harrowing but I think it should be compulsory viewing for adults - children should not know how despicable adults can be not just singly but collectively. I expect this not to be universally well received, but I also think it is an indictment of Islam. It has to take responsibility for this kind of behaviour. Even if Farkhunda had been an American who had burned the Koran (which she obviously wasn't), would this have warranted Farkhunda's fate?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

A lot more.
  • Options
    O/T

"Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s emails contained “top secret” material, the government’s top spy watchdog said Tuesday, revealing that the messages were even more sensitive than previously disclosed."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/11/hillary-clinton-emails-contained-top-secret-materi/
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

They probably regarded that as peanuts.
    Chickenfeed! :)
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2015

AndyJS said:

They would probably have had their mitts in a bigger sweetie jar courtesy of Ed the Crap.

Still, KC's greatest problem was more likely incompetent management, dishing out cash to any hand that was held out, and having no reserves. Who knows what the Trustees were doing.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

How?
    On Syrians refugees -

I'm sure Saudi Arabia,Iran and Russia could take they fare share of refugees,seeming these countries are playing they part in the civil war .
    Surely we are to blame for the mess in Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan because we interevened -and at fault in Syria, Sudan and Eritrea because we failed to intervene?

Kipling wrote of this some years ago, this third stanza being particularly apt for modern times:

Take up the White Man's burden -
    The savage wars of peace -
    Fill full the mouth of famine
    And bid the sickness cease; 
    And when your goal is nearest
    The end for others sought,
    Watch Sloth and heathen Folly
    Bring all your hopes to nought.

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897

Speedy said:

Sean_F said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

AndyJS said:

How?
    On Syrians refugees -

Surely we are to blame for the mess in Iraq, Libya and Afghanistan because we interevened -and at fault in Syria, Sudan and Eritrea because we failed to intervene?

Kipling wrote of this some years ago, this third stanza being particularly apt for modern times:

Take up the White Man's burden -
    The savage wars of peace -
    Fill full the mouth of famine
    And bid the sickness cease; 
    And when your goal is nearest
    The end for others sought,
    Watch Sloth and heathen Folly
    Bring all your hopes to nought.

Such racism :( "White man" generalisation
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    ''Has anyone made the very politically incorrect allegation that maybe the reason Kids Company collapsed weeks after the general election could have been because they were holding out for a different type of government...''

Same goes for the Trade Unions.
    Same goes for economic migrants ... If Labour can't control the legitimate voters in its own election - how will it control our borders?

''Labour revealed yesterday that 88,000 people registered to vote in the party’s leadership contest had not been vetted''
    ''concerns have also been raised that unions deliberately withheld the names and details of thousands of new voters until the final fortnight of the sign-up period.... such moves would have restricted the opportunity for the candidates to contact new voters signed up through unions, but allowed unions to canvass those voters themselves on behalf of their desired contender''
    It seems “tens of thousands” of new affiliate voters were sent to Labour on 31 July, the last day available.
    (The Times)
    Beyond a joke - quite nasty in fact.

But is there a market on whether the contest will have to be re-run?
  • Options
    How are we at fault regarding Sudan and Eritrea??
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    The BBC like repeating the phrase "black man allegedly killed by white police officer" in Ferguson but at the same time they make a big show of not stating the ethnicity of the person from Bradford who stabbed a black teacher. Seems a bit odd.
  • Options

Sunil,foxy's thinking we didn't intervene.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Per report in The Times:

LABOUR LEADERSHIP: BALLOT PAPERS ARE NOT ALL BEING SENT OUT THIS WEEK.

Ballot papers are only being sent out once a person has been vetted.

88,000 still to be vetted.

Some ballot papers won't be going out until September.
  • Options

Sunil,foxy's thinking we didn't intervene.
    Intervene in what is my question.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The BBC like repeating the phrase "black man allegedly killed by white police officer" in Ferguson but at the same time they make a big show of not stating the ethnicity of the person from Bradford who stabbed a black teacher. Seems a bit odd.

Didn't the Sun publish his name in June? Not sure if it's Google-able now.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    MikeL said:

Per report in The Times:

The first indication that this is going to end in chaos?
  • Options
    Highlights of the first day of the Ashes Test Match at Canterbury:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYnaMpBTpxg
  • Options
    More KEY INFO from The Times - who knows where this may go:

"The union source also voiced concerns that Labour’s decision to allow affiliate supporters to vote online could open the process up to fraud.

“We could put any email address in somebody’s membership record, get that email, vote on their behalf and that person will be none the wiser, because the party has no paper communication with that person,” said the insider."
  • Options
    And how about this - again per The Times:

"Corbyn hints at closer ties to Russia in rethink of security"
  • Options
    Foxy -

Hasn't Britain given asylum to thousands of afghan and Iraqi refugees,Christ,we even let afghan terrorist stay who hijacked a plane,remember that.
  • Options
    The question is why are Burnham and Cooper not going very, very, very hard on all of Corbyn's non-economic policies?

Forget all the economy stuff.

It's everything else which the media is going to go for big time if Corbyn wins.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

The question is why are Burnham and Cooper not going very, very, very hard on all of Corbyn's non-economic policies?

It's everything else which the media is going to go for big time if Corbyn wins.

Probably because its easy for Corbyn supporters to hit back with Iraq, the unhealed wound that none of JC's rivals want to reopen if they can help it.

Also, Corbyn will surely point to the actions of our US allies - Guantanamo Bay, Extraordinary Rendition, Black Sites... going back into history with Vietnam, Central America... etc etc - if confronted with attacks of this nature. Perhaps the other candidates would rather that topic not be front-and-centre.

More prosaically, the last election was fought primarily on economy. The natural (though perhaps incorrect) assumption is that the next one will be too.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

O/T

"Former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s emails contained “top secret” material, the government’s top spy watchdog said Tuesday, revealing that the messages were even more sensitive than previously disclosed."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/aug/11/hillary-clinton-emails-contained-top-secret-materi/

I fail to be able to get exciting about this story. If email is being used to communicate with anyone outside government then it will necessarily end up on an uncontrolled third-party system.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    What is it with British people and wasting food?

"Britain had the highest figure for what researchers called avoidable food waste – 24 stone. That was far more than Germany, the Netherlands, Finland and Denmark – and dwarfed the seven stone of wasted by the average Romanian.

Almost half of potatoes in Britain’s homes and restaurants are thrown away uneaten and 41 per cent of fruit is binned. Almost a quarter of meat is also wasted, according to the report in the journal Environmental Research Letters."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3194398/Average-Briton-throws-24st-good-food-year-UK-worst-European-league-squandering.html
  • Options

MikeL said:

Probably because its easy for Corbyn supporters to hit back with Iraq, the unhealed wound that none of JC's rivals want to reopen if they can help it.

Also, Corbyn will surely point to the actions of our US allies - Guantanamo Bay, Extraordinary Rendition, Black Sites... going back into history with Vietnam, Central America... etc etc - if confronted with attacks of this nature. Perhaps the other candidates would rather that topic not be front-and-centre.

More prosaically, the last election was fought primarily on economy. The natural (though perhaps incorrect) assumption is that the next one will be too.

If the message circulates that Corbyn is a friend of Russia then that will be it - Labour will have zero chance.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

What is it with British people and wasting food?

"Britain had the highest figure for what researchers called avoidable food waste – 24 stone. That was far more than Germany, the Netherlands, Finland and Denmark – and dwarfed the seven stone of wasted by the average Romanian.

Almost half of potatoes in Britain’s homes and restaurants are thrown away uneaten and 41 per cent of fruit is binned. Almost a quarter of meat is also wasted, according to the report in the journal Environmental Research Letters."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3194398/Average-Briton-throws-24st-good-food-year-UK-worst-European-league-squandering.html

Enough disposable income not to need to avoid wasting food.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

If the message circulates that Corbyn is a friend of Russia then that will be it - Labour will have zero chance.
    On the other hand he might sweep up the RT watching band of Kippers.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

No doubt the 'Putin question' is one that will influence people's voting decisions in 2020 just as it's thought to have in 2015. But, I don't think a nuanced, intelligent foreign policy that acknowledges shades of grey with regard to Russia and to the U.S. will necessarily harm Corbyn's chances.

We're not in the 1980s any more, I think people nowadays recognise that we have to work with all different regimes, not just our natural allies.

What I accept would harm Labour's chances would be a perception that the leadership isn't prepared to look out for Britain's interests in the world. I agree with Corbyn that military action should be a last resort, and that Blair was wrong to go to war in Iraq. But at the same time I'd be grateful for a signal that pacifism has its limits.

I'm reserving judgement at the moment. If Corbyn is elected, one of the early points of judgement will be the appointment/election of shadow foreign secretary. Hopefully it will be someone who complements him well and can help deflect some of the inevitable lines of criticism in this area.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Democracy Labour style, it is just nuts to still be 'vetting' voters in postal ballot after such a lengthy contest when voting has started! At the moment, you just have to look at how the two main parties conduct a Leadership contest to spot who is the more competent at running one, never mind the country!
    MikeL said:

Per report in The Times:

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Corbyn wants to leave NATO. That alone should be enough to finish him.