Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trade union machinations to help Corbyn aren’t necessary –

Comments

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

TGOHF said:

Can anyone explain how ID cards would have stopped the 7/7 bombings.

Is that what they are intended to do ? Stop bombings ?

That's how Labour presented it

Home Secretary David Blunkett has defended his proposal for a national ID card scheme, saying it could be effective in fighting terrorism.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3656945.stm
    One of the things that got me involved in political discussions!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), bombings, illegal immigration, employing illegal immigrants. They're almost as good as this tiger-deterring rock I bought last year. I haven't been attacked by a tiger once since I've had it.
  • Options
    On topic, Labour really couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.

Whilst the Unions are the blokes you see on The Jeremy Kyle show boasting how they've fathered 20 kids by 20 different mothers.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

TGOHF said:

Home Secretary David Blunkett has defended his proposal for a national ID card scheme, saying it could be effective in fighting terrorism.

Didn't Blunkett start off by justifying ID cards as entitlement cards, i.e. they would show if the holder was entitled to use the NHS, get a job, claim what benefits etc.?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Off topic - A ‘Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet’ moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-33849863
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Close but no cigar - @SouthamObserver yesterday with his Corbyn Kleenex moment was a corker.

On topic, Labour really couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.

Whilst the Unions are the blokes you see on The Jeremy Kyle show boasting how they've fathered 20 kids by 20 different mothers.

• Options

TGOHF said:

Didn't Blunkett start off by justifying ID cards as entitlement cards, i.e. they would show if the holder was entitled to use the NHS, get a job, claim what benefits etc.?
    Something like that.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

TGOHF said:

One of the things that got me involved in political discussions!
    Ditto

Mr. Flashman (deceased), bombings, illegal immigration, employing illegal immigrants. They're almost as good as this tiger-deterring rock I bought last year. I haven't been attacked by a tiger once since I've had it.

I would like to purchase your rock.
  • Options
    That's my recollection.

I'm 100% against ID cards. I think Italy's notion of inviting illegals to grass up their employers in return for residency is a cracking idea.

TGOHF said:

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Jack,

Welcome back.

I infer that you believe Jezza could become LOTO and lead Labour to electoral oblivion.

I retain an affection for Labour despite their missteps on a regular basis. Surely they're not that daft?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    JackW said:

Good Morning Fellow Corbynites ....

I trust the good denizens of OGH's august organ will be tuning into Beeb Two next Monday at 9:00pm.

I most certainly shall be .... :smile:

Welcome Back Jack!

Will you be exposing your ARSE to us, Re. Mad Leftie's 4 Corbyn anytime soon?

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

The 15 days between Corbyn being announced the new Labour leader and the start of the Labour Conference are going to be a fun time....

The next three years, perhaps more, are going to be a fun time. Labour are set to achieve the remarkable feat of not only choosing Jeremy Corbyn as leader, but doing so in a way which guarantees the maximum amount of bitterness, disunity, dissension, rebellion and hilarious navel-gazing, whilst minimising the possibility of being able to boot him out.
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to the Labour Conf for the first time in years. Will the ghost of Eric Heffer march back in?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWLN7rIby9s

The 15 days between Corbyn being announced the new Labour leader and the start of the Labour Conference are going to be a fun time....

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited August 2015
    SeanT said:

IIRC the "rape" allegations against him were also suspiciously flimsy. One of them was, I believe, an accusation that consensual sex took place but without the agreed use of a condom, an accusation made by a woman who boasted of her friendship with Assange AFTER the "crime".

I'm no fan of this dude. But you can see why he thought the bizarre rape charges were just a device to get him back to Sweden, whence he could be swiftly whisked to Sing Sing.

Assange challenged the European Arrest Warrant on the basis that the allegations did not amount to an offence under English law. The Divisional Court held that the allegation in law amounted to the offence of rape in England & Wales, contrary to the Sexual Offences Act 2003, s. 1. Assange did not appeal to the Supreme Court against that ruling. The Divisional Court's judgment has since been followed by another constitution in R (F) v DPP [2014] QB 581, and by the Court of Appeal in R v McNally [2014] QB 593. There are strong arguments against the courts' construction of the 2003 Act, but it is now settled law.

As for boasts made by the complainant, that goes to the credibility of witnesses, which is a matter for the Swedish, not the English courts.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. kle4, and render myself susceptible to tiger attack? Do you think I'm some kind of idiot?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    CD13 said:

Jack,

Welcome back.

I infer that you believe Jezza could become LOTO and lead Labour to electoral oblivion.

I retain an affection for Labour despite their missteps on a regular basis. Surely they're not that daft?

Thank you.

Quite so. There has always been a streak within Labour that abhors the grubby reality of fighting for power and would rather take up the mantle of hopeless ideological purity within opposition and be happy to do so .... at least for an election or two.

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,003
    David Cameron lowered the British flag for the King of Saudi Arabia, who is perhaps the person most responsible for Islamic State.

Some people get passes, others don't.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Talking to enemies, even terrorists, is of course necessary. It can be a matter of timing, however. Corbyn appears, and this may be incorrect, to stake a moral grandstanding position of 'talking not war', when sometimes it isn't appropriate to talk right now. IS being an example - in their present position, and ours, negotiations are not viable or supportable. Maybe they never will be, maybe one day it will be necessary and appropriate, but that's when some factors change markedly. What is wrong is automatic positions on foreign affairs, or insisting upon talking and negotiation when perhaps the other side are not willing to meet us halfway (or indeed vice-versa), or indeed it would be unreasonable to do so. That is, when X is still doing or saying Y, is it supportable to negotiate? Perhaps, but perhaps not. Corbyn is portrayed, however, as having no nuance, or certainly some who do support him act as though talking is the only moral choice, and though it often is moral, sometimes it's not.

Corbyn invited Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein into Westminster TWO WEEKS AFTER THE BRIGHTON BOMB, when the armed wing of Sinn Fein tried to destroy British democracy with mass murder, and almost succeeded - killing and injuring many politicians and their partners.

There's no debate here, no grey area, no on-the-other-hand, no arguable defense. What Corbyn did that day makes him a c*nt. A genial c*nt, perhaps, but a c*nt nonetheless.
    And if the Tories and others had listened to Corbyn and joined in the discussion they might have ended the conflict earlier instead of taking 10 more years trying to avenge the bloody nose they got in Brighton and causing the deaths of several hundred more people.

Corbyn was right about the IRA. History has already shown he was right. Almost every single decisionThatcher made about the IRA was wrong.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Assuming he makes it to conference...

@ggreenwald: Labour leaders not even pretending to care about the views of party members, vowing anti-Corbyn coup from "day one" http://t.co/rY8OAMWUnN
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

stodge said:

Morning all :)

Part of me suspects that whether Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper, Liz Kendall or A.N Other were set to become Labour leader, the Conservatives on here would still be denigrating them at every opportunity - that's politics I suppose and when the selling platers line up for the Conservative Party Leadership Handicap, the rest of us can have a good laugh as well.

Let's take IS as an example - they are unquestionably an evil group who use a mixture of religious zealotry and modern marketing to convert susceptible people into embracing a warped version of the Islamic faith which excuses barbarism, cruelty and inhumanity on an unimaginable scale. Yet they are a power and we can't deny that. We therefore have two choices - eradication by force or negotiation to achieve a modus vivendi. Sometimes the options are all or nothing - trying to do neither is a recipe for disaster.

Talking to enemies, even terrorists, is of course necessary. It can be a matter of timing, however. Corbyn appears, and this may be incorrect, to stake a moral grandstanding position of 'talking not war', when sometimes it isn't appropriate to talk right now. IS being an example - in their present position, and ours, negotiations are not viable or supportable. Maybe they never will be, maybe one day it will be necessary and appropriate, but that's when some factors change markedly. What is wrong is automatic positions on foreign affairs, or insisting upon talking and negotiation when perhaps the other side are not willing to meet us halfway (or indeed vice-versa), or indeed it would be unreasonable to do so. That is, when X is still doing or saying Y, is it supportable to negotiate? Perhaps, but perhaps not. Corbyn is portrayed, however, as having no nuance, or certainly some who do support him act as though talking is the only moral choice, and though it often is moral, sometimes it's not.
    Corbyn invited Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein into Westminster TWO WEEKS AFTER THE BRIGHTON BOMB, when the armed wing of Sinn Fein tried to destroy British democracy with mass murder, and almost succeeded - killing and injuring many politicians and their partners.

I don't disagree that was wrong in that instance. I don't think it was wrong, much later, that we did talk to those people and it's that principle I was talking about, but equating that with automatically supporting talking no matter what the other side do or say and presenting it as a morally superior position, is wrong. Some of his supporters do make equate those two positions. If he does as well, then that is not defensible in my view.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    JackW said:

There has always been a streak within Labour that abhors the grubby reality of fighting for power and would rather take up the mantle of hopeless ideological purity within opposition and be happy to do so .... at least for an election or two.

The Conservative's did the same with IDS but they soon came to their sense's and got rid...

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

That's my recollection.

I'm 100% against ID cards. I think Italy's notion of inviting illegals to grass up their employers in return for residency is a cracking idea.

TGOHF said:

Take it one step further. Invite existing illegals to grass up say 10 of fellow law breakers, in exchange for citizenship upon their expulsion.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

I trust the good denizens of OGH's august organ will be tuning into Beeb Two next Monday at 9:00pm.

Welcome Back Jack!

I was rather hoping for a McARSE on the Holyrood elections , and a "pearly king" ARSE for the London Mayoral election...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Welcome Back Jack!

Most kind.

I think not. Unnecessary over exposure of a treasured national asset is surely to be severely deprecated.

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Dair said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

There's no debate here, no grey area, no on-the-other-hand, no arguable defense. What Corbyn did that day makes him a c*nt. A genial c*nt, perhaps, but a c*nt nonetheless.
    And if the Tories and others had listened to Corbyn and joined in the discussion they might have ended the conflict earlier instead of taking 10 more years trying to avenge the bloody nose they got in Brighton and causing the deaths of several hundred more people.

Corbyn was right about the IRA. History has already shown he was right. Almost every single decisionThatcher made about the IRA was wrong.
    The people that caused those deaths were the murderers that planted those bombs. Neither the Thatcher government nor anyone else forced them to engage in such evil.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Assuming he makes it to conference...

@ggreenwald: Labour leaders not even pretending to care about the views of party members, vowing anti-Corbyn coup from "day one" http://t.co/rY8OAMWUnN
    What connections does Glenn Greenwald have to the UK? I'm surprised he is commenting on it. Although perhaps as a fellow traveller in the anti-Western hard left he supports their successes everywhere.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

There has always been a streak within Labour that abhors the grubby reality of fighting for power and would rather take up the mantle of hopeless ideological purity within opposition and be happy to do so .... at least for an election or two.

The Conservative's did the same with IDS but they soon came to their sense's and got rid...

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

The Conservatives have always been far more effectively ruthless than Labour who prefer their leaders to walk the plank to their doom and the ship hit the rocks, whereas the Tories simply invite their ship Captain to come ashore and invite a new Captain to steer a more favourable course.

• Options
    EPG said:

David Cameron lowered the British flag for the King of Saudi Arabia, who is perhaps the person most responsible for Islamic State.

He gave the order to do this, did he? Or was it just standard diplomatic protocol?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Welcome Back Jack!

I was rather hoping for a McARSE on the Holyrood elections , and a "pearly king" ARSE for the London Mayoral election...
    Your hope may yet be realized. :smile:

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,003
    JEO said:

EPG said:

He gave the order to do this, did he? Or was it just standard diplomatic protocol?
    As I said, there's always an excuse when it's a Conservative.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

I'm looking forward to the Labour Conf for the first time in years. Will the ghost of Eric Heffer march back in?!

Fourthly, I shall tell you again what you know. Because you are from the people, because you are of the people, because you live with the same realities as everybody else lives with, implausible promises don’t win victories. I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, mis-placed, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I am telling you, no matter how entertaining, how fulfilling to short-term egos – you can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services or with their homes. Comrades, the voice of the people – not the people here; the voice of the real people with real needs – is louder than all the boos that can be assembled. Understand that, please, comrades. In your socialism, in your commitment to those people, understand it. The people will not, cannot, abide posturing. They cannot respect the gesture-generals or the tendency-tacticians
    N. Kinnock, Labour Conference, 1985
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,198
    Is it going to be fascinating to see, if we do, some demographics on who the 1000s signing up (and crashing the registration server apparently) are. Young idealists? Non-voters who have simply being waiting all these years for a true socialist?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Welcome back jackW.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Dair said:

Plato said:
    Very sceptical given they're claiming 89% for the SNP despite their continued polling growth.

However, as a trend, it looks like the Liberals might as well give up. They are truly finished.
    Really? I'd expect you're always going to get a bit of churn no matter how popular the party.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,231
    Plato said:

I was really surprised by that stat - no Farron bounce there.

Miss Plato, two-thirds of terrible isn't great for the Lib Dems.

Welcome back Jack W.

Miss Plato, it does appear that committing seppuku in public draws a crowd. The Lib Dem leadership campaign was not nearly grisly enough.
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Understand we're going to get a major intervention from @YvetteCooperMP tomorrow.

"Please, please, please don't vote for Jezza. Thanks."
  • Options
    Dair said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

So you'd be happy to see SMPs of opposing parties immediately enter into dialogue with a group of terrorists who might one day detonate an SNP conference.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

JEO said:

SeanT said:

Mr. T, disagree. Labour could conceivably end, though I doubt it, but if it does another force will take over the mantle of leftyness.

There will always be a hard left, yes. My point is that if Corbyn wins the leadership, and is then calamitously defeated in 2020, the Left will be permanently killed off as a significant force - even within Labour.

The party will revolt at this third crushing defeat and finally purge the commie lunatics, who may slink away and found their own pointless faction.

Either that or Labour will split altogether.
    As a Conservative I do worry about this though. I would rather the hard left remain a force and pull Labour left, giving us repeated Tory governments. I don't want a New Labour like party coming back and, while being moderate on economics, still being far left on the EU, multiculturalism, statism and immigration
    People will get sick of the Cons, as incumbents, in a few years; they always do.

Thing is, therefore, when that happens, who do you want to be put into power? I can't see any kind of hard left maintaining momentum for the next, say 10 years (students and idealists, after all, grow up..) so it is likely that some kind of free market capitalism-liking New New Lab will emerge. I don't have a problem with that.
    Yes but it's a question of how long and how often the Conservatives get into power. In one scenario we could be in with absolute majorities for 75% of the next 50 years. Another scenario we could be in for absolute majorities just 30% of the time. Those aren't numbers I have thought about too much but they give an example of us being a much more conservative country by having a more unelectable Labour party long term.

I suppose the ideal situation is Corbyn elected with a large member mandate and the MPs having a coup to put in someone mediocre, inflaming the activist left wing base with recriminations all round.
  • Options

Is it going to be fascinating to see, if we do, some demographics on who the 1000s signing up (and crashing the registration server apparently) are. Young idealists? Non-voters who have simply being waiting all these years for a true socialist?

What sort of checks/identification is done to confirm that these signups actually exist at all and are not just paper constructs of the obsessed ? Photocopies of passport pages ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Understand we're going to get a major intervention from @YvetteCooperMP tomorrow.

Too little, too late.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

She's going to say she doesn't understand AV, so could some kind blogger assist.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Too little, too late.

Unquestionably
  • Options
    Labour has been forced to extend the deadline for voter registrations for its leadership contest after the party's website was crashed by thousands of supporters trying to sign up.

The website experienced a total meltdown in the last few hours as Jeremy Corbyn made a last-minute call to his backers to support the party in order to vote for him.

The party has extended its original noon deadline to 3pm today.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11797857/Labour-leadership-vote-deadline-extended-as-Jeremy-Corbyns-supporters-swamp-website.html
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I think Cameron should step aside if Corbyn wins - and let Jeremy Clarkson take over the Conservatives.

PMQs will become prime-time TV.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

She's going to say she doesn't understand AV, so could some kind blogger assist.
    Standing down in favour of Burnham as unity candidate? I bloody hope not.
  • Options

Dair said:

So you'd be happy to see SMPs of opposing parties immediately enter into dialogue with a group of terrorists who might one day detonate an SNP conference.
    It's not a question of being happy or not.

It's a question of pragmatic politics dependent on circumstances.
  • Options
    Yvette For Labour ‏@YvetteForLabour Aug 10
    Yvette: UN should intervene in Calais crisis. RT to spread the word. http://www.yvetteforlabour.co.uk/yvette_calais_un

WTF ?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,183
    edited August 2015
    SeanT said:

Not arguing the legal technicalities, I'm arguing that if I were Assange, I would be fairly and rightly convinced that the Americans would try all kinds of skullduggery to get me extradited to the USA, up to and easily including some rather strange, awfully convenient "rape allegations" designed to firstly remove me to Sweden.

My guess is that these charges were indeed bogus, and the CIA was at work. Assange clearly thinks the same. He may be many things, but in this case he is not an idiot.

SeanT, while I'm not privy to the ins and outs of the Assange case, there is one very simple question that neither Assange nor his admirers have ever answered. Why would the US go to enormous trouble to have him moved to Sweden on a charge for which he might be imprisoned there, rather than simply having him extradited from the UK with whom they have a much more comprehensive extradition treaty that covers espionage and cyber crime (which their 1961 treaty with Sweden doesn't)? Especially given that any extradition on from Sweden would require the UK's consent anyway.

What may be the most unbearable truths of all for Assange are that the US don't actually care about him, because he is no longer important now they have Bradley Manning, and this is just a case of him facing charges for civil crimes in the normal way - and worse, that this whole situation has arisen because he is not somebody women are willing to have sex with on any (his) terms.

He has become important because of his raging egomania and paranoia. No other reason. And inevitably, he has managed to make matters worse for himself as a result.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Indigo said:

Plato said:

Fourthly, I shall tell you again what you know. Because you are from the people, because you are of the people, because you live with the same realities as everybody else lives with, implausible promises don’t win victories. I’ll tell you what happens with impossible promises. You start with far-fetched resolutions. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the years sticking to that, out-dated, mis-placed, irrelevant to the real needs, and you end up in the grotesque chaos of a Labour council hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers. I am telling you, no matter how entertaining, how fulfilling to short-term egos – you can’t play politics with people’s jobs and with people’s services or with their homes. Comrades, the voice of the people – not the people here; the voice of the real people with real needs – is louder than all the boos that can be assembled. Understand that, please, comrades. In your socialism, in your commitment to those people, understand it. The people will not, cannot, abide posturing. They cannot respect the gesture-generals or the tendency-tacticians

One of the great post war political speeches. I remember when actually speaking he said:

"the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, ,a Labour Council, hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers..."

The emphasis he put on that was brilliant.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Plato said:

Who was it said history repeats firstly as tragedy and then as farce? Events of this summer must surely rank as being on the latter end.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Yvette: UN should intervene in Calais crisis. RT to spread the word. http://www.yvetteforlabour.co.uk/yvette_calais_un

WTF ?

Maybe her speech tomorrow will call for a UN peacekeeping force at Labour conference?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,405
    JEO said:

EPG said:

Don't recall it happening for Kim Jong Il.

• Options
    DavidL said:

"the grotesque chaos of a Labour council, ,a Labour Council, hiring taxis to scuttle round a city handing out redundancy notices to its own workers..."

I am told they use Uber to do it now
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_P said:

Think we're at the stage where anything anti-corbyn just strengthens his support.
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    If Corbyn gets elected, then I can't wait to see what he wears to the Remembrance Day Service, after the Michael Foot "donkey jacket" furore years ago. A T-shirt with an anti-monarchist slogan, a white poppy or perhaps he will boycott the event?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Plato said:

Who was it said history repeats firstly as tragedy and then as farce? Events of this summer must surely rank as being on the latter end.

Karl Marx, The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon.

The bitterest book he ever wrote - because it showed people didn't obey his theories on class struggle or act according to the formulas he had devised on class interest - but also by far the best.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    At least one Labour candidate has her priorities right:

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2015/08/12/tessa-jowell-to-ban-sexist-advertising-on-london-transport

Jowell said the ban was necessary to promote equality and make women feel safe travelling around the capital.

She said she wanted to give women the confidence to "focus on their talents rather than their tummies."

Yes, poor diddums. Clearly women need to be protected from silly posters because they are so weak-minded that the mere sight of such a poster will distract them from their talents.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Indigo said:

WTF ?

Maybe her speech tomorrow will call for a UN peacekeeping force at Labour conference?

Perhaps she's calling up International Rescue?

• Options
    Funnily enough, I never thought that was the killer line. I was only 18yrs old, but thought that it was the rigid dogma/impossible promises that nailed it.

Using taxis struck me as peculiar, but not making your staff redundant if you couldn't employ them.
    DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Plato said:

One of the great post war political speeches. I remember when actually speaking he said:

• Options

JEO said:

EPG said:

As silly as this whole argument is, was Kim Jong Il technically the Head of State? I'm not sure he was, officially, though naturally my N Korea knowledge is not stellar.
  • Options
    Ed M's parting shot to the Labour party ... "Apres moi, le deluge."

Even if Jezza narrowly loses, the flood will come.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Think we're at the stage where anything anti-corbyn just strengthens his support.
    Ah, the SNP phase.
  • Options
    I wasn't a Tory when the Conservatives elected IDS, but I vividly recall listening to the announcement on R5 and my heart sinking with a WTF.

Corbyn seems a factor of ten worse - I feel really sorry for Labourites who've seen it all before.

Indigo said:

Plato said:

• Options
    kle4 said:

JEO said:

EPG said:

As silly as this whole argument is, was Kim Jong Il technically the Head of State? I'm not sure he was, officially, though naturally my N Korea knowledge is not stellar.
    As I understand it, Kim Il Sung is the 'Eternal President' of N. Korea, and his son/grandson function as regents.

It is of course officially a Communist state, but with the collapse of the rule of Gyanendra of Nepal it looks like the nearest thing left to a hereditary theocratic monarchy.
  • Options
    SandraM said:

If Corbyn gets elected, then I can't wait to see what he wears to the Remembrance Day Service, after the Michael Foot "donkey jacket" furore years ago. A T-shirt with an anti-monarchist slogan, a white poppy or perhaps he will boycott the event?

Nah. - It will be retro 70s chic – Ripped jeans and a Che Guevara T-Shirt.
  • Options
    Tomorrow's big Cooper announcement

Gordon Brown coming out for Yvette Cooper and saying Burnham and Corbyn are crap.

Why waste your vote on Kendall, Blairites are crap at winning elections.

Gordon Brown, aiming for the hat trick, first he saved the world and The Union and now he's going to save the Labour Party.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Will they sing The Red Flag?
    Plato said:

• Options
    @TotalPolitics: Tessa Jowell branded 'Labour's Kylie' as mayoral hopefuls seek Corbyn appeal http://t.co/oY6Wd7bFDn http://t.co/u1CjgXXmI8

I saw a photoshopped image for this story earlier that I can now never unsee
  • Options
    Why has Hodges still got 'Vote Corbyn' on his twitter user photo?
  • Options
    Dair,

"t's a question of pragmatic politics dependent on circumstances."

Would an independent Scottish Government have negotiated with Hess? Should the UK have done?
  • Options
    I've never seen him wear a tie.
    SandraM said:

• Options

Tomorrow's big Cooper announcement

Gordon Brown coming out for Yvette Cooper and saying Burnham and Corbyn are crap.

Why waste your vote on Kendall, Blairites are crap at winning elections.

Gordon Brown, aiming for the hat trick, first he saved the world and The Union and now he's going to save the Labour Party.

Carrying on that progression, next he will stand ready to save ant farms.

• Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,732
    Scott_P said:

"Clearly Jeremy is outstandingly popular in the Labour Party as a whole - From this I can only conclude that the Party is no longer the Party it used to be, and I no longer feel it the right place for me to align myself politically. Accordingly I am withdrawing from the leadership election, and defecting from the Labour Party in order to sit with the Conservatives in Government - working with people who, for all the faults and disagreements I have had in the past, actually want to get things done, actually want to make things better for the people of this country, for the people of Normanton and Pontefract who I am called to serve"

Would certainly cause a stir... ;-)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Carswell speaks:

Douglas Carswell MP ‏@DouglasCarswell 6m6 minutes ago
    Met a friend who is also a local Labour activist in #Clacton today for a chat. They're passionately Corbyn ....
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

Funnily enough, I never thought that was the killer line. I was only 18yrs old, but thought that it was the rigid dogma/impossible promises that nailed it.

Using taxis struck me as peculiar, but not making your staff redundant if you couldn't employ them.

DavidL said:

Indigo said:

Plato said:

Watch it again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWLN7rIby9s

It is a brilliant rhetorical device. It speaks to his audience and emphasises how far the people that they are supposed to be for are from the one's betrayed by such incompetence.
  • Options

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2015/08/12/tessa-jowell-to-ban-sexist-advertising-on-london-transport

Jowell said the ban was necessary to promote equality and make women feel safe travelling around the capital.

She said she wanted to give women the confidence to "focus on their talents rather than their tummies."

Yes, poor diddums. Clearly women need to be protected from silly posters because they are so weak-minded that the mere sight of such a poster will distract them from their talents.

To be fair some of those adverts can be very distracting for guys.

I'm grateful I was too young to drive when those wonderbra adverts came out.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Indigo said:

WTF ?

Yes I saw that yesterday,is she mad.
  • Options
    This is a rather good *step back in time* Thames TV on Militant, 1982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOAJ9G4iytU
    Financier said:

Will they sing The Red Flag?

Plato said:

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6324/anjem-choudary-extremism

Will Britain Pass the Choudary Test?

If there was a single flaw in the British Prime Minister's recent speech on countering extremism in the UK, it might be encapsulated in the name "Anjem Choudary." His speech went into terrific detail on the significance of tacking radicalism through the education system, the Charity Commission, the broadcasting license authority and numerous other means. But it failed the Choudary test.

That test is: What do you do about a British-born man who is qualified to work but appears never to have done so, and who instead spends his time taking his "dole" money and using it to fund a lifestyle devoted solely to preaching against the state?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    Scott_P said:

If the other candidates really think Corbyn will destroy the Labour Party, wouldnt it be better for two of them to stand down?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6324/anjem-choudary-extremism

Will Britain Pass the Choudary Test?

If there was a single flaw in the British Prime Minister's recent speech on countering extremism in the UK, it might be encapsulated in the name "Anjem Choudary." His speech went into terrific detail on the significance of tacking radicalism through the education system, the Charity Commission, the broadcasting license authority and numerous other means. But it failed the Choudary test.

That test is: What do you do about a British-born man who is qualified to work but appears never to have done so, and who instead spends his time taking his "dole" money and using it to fund a lifestyle devoted solely to preaching against the state?

Charge him under s.12 of the Terrorism Act?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Ed M's parting shot to the Labour party ... "Apres moi, le deluge."

Even if Jezza narrowly loses, the flood will come.

Sounds like one of Blair's riffs to me. Reminds me though of the old joke: "pretentious, moi?". Think this was a John Cleese one.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

If the other candidates really think Corbyn will destroy the Labour Party, wouldnt it be better for two of them to stand down?
    That is surely the only "major intervention" left.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    SandraM said:

White vest with a Sinn Fein logo, and a Hamas head scarf? Perhaps he'll take George Galloway as his 'plus one'.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Dair,

"t's a question of pragmatic politics dependent on circumstances."

Would an independent Scottish Government have negotiated with Hess? Should the UK have done?

It's a question of pragmatic politics dependent on circumstances.

Your question can't be answered. It makes no sense and lacks necessary definition.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

If after making a big song and dance about it, the two women in the contest stood down, what would that say about the labour party?
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Could also allow for a pause while ballots are reprinted.
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Under AV you don't need to step down.

Only if this election was conducted under FPTP would they need to step down.

Eeesh. Do I have to do a thread explaining the intricacies of AV?
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

That was my first thought. Cooper to stand down and call on her supporters to back Burnham.
  • Options

To be fair some of those adverts can be very distracting for guys.

I'm grateful I was too young to drive when those wonderbra adverts came out.
    What about taking the train? This is clearly referring to one particular advert which was a picture of a woman in a bikini that you can see on every beach. I see lots of images of shirtless men in far more difficult to attain bodies on the front of women's magazines. Other than occasionally thinking I need to hit the gym more, it does not affect me that much. I would like to think women have similar mental strength to men, but left wing politicians keep on implying otherwise.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Corbyn's "QE for people" seems to mean ending Bank of England independence – @Peston http://t.co/hITz8d0r95
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Why wait until tomorrow?
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

If she tells them to second preference Burnham, what percentage actually do?

Of course it isn't the same.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

isam said:

Scott_P said:

That's only true if 100% of transfers are used. :smirk:

• Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

What about if that man wins I am out of here? I can see her doing that.
  • Options
    There is no benefit from two candidates withdrawing because:

1) Under AV, you can vote for more than one candidate

2) If the polls are even within 5% of being correct, Corbyn will win more first preference votes than all the rest put together anyway.

Withdrawing and running a unified, forceful campaign would have worked in June. Now it is far, far, far too late.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Thanks for drawing that to my attention. I'd been considering voting for her but I cannot vote for anyone who is so illiberal and silly. There was nothing wrong with the Beach Body Ready? advert.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

What about if that man wins I am out of here? I can see her doing that.
    Problem is that would spur the Corbinites on me, as they would 'purge' the party of the unclean...
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, but the act of standing down may change the dynamics.
  • Options
    Chris123Chris123 Posts: 174
    edited August 2015
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 29 minutes ago:
    Understand we're going to get a major intervention from @YvetteCooperMP tomorrow.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges

Apparently there has been some pressure applied from the leadership for the mainstream candidates to alter the dynamics of the race. The only revelation of real interest would be her teaming up with Andy Burnham or Liz Kendall dropping out. That might be a game changer.