Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Don Brind: Why having an “electable” leader matters so much

1235»

Comments

• BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

MP_SE said:

Pulpstar said:

Yvette's speech might be fine. I honestly can't tell, her delivery strikes of boredom and monotone.

Jezza has a fiery passion.

Yvette Cooper has the charisma of a damp rag.
    If asked would she would prefer“tea or coffee”. The suspicion is, she might reply “it is a false choice”, or perhaps ask for a bit of both.
    ... and reality kicked them in the nuts.

Do you like being kicked in the nuts?
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    WTI crude oil goes below $42 for the first time since 2009:

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401

welshowl said:

alex. said:

Plato said:

It's a #JeSuisGuardian moment :wink:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

@MichaelPDeacon: The Guardian declares its support for Yvette Cooper. You'll never guess the response http://t.co/ErT39l5Hms

@MichaelPDeacon:
    Why doesn't the Guardian JOIN THE TORIES.
    Why doesn't Polly Toynbee JOIN THE TORIES.
    Why doesn't the Soviet Union JOIN THE TORIES

LOL at this stage Atlee could criticise Corbyn, and he'd be called a Tory.
    CIFers are the kind of people my grandma called 'hard-ears'.
    Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb 16m16 minutes ago
    The Guardian has endorsed Yvette Cooper, and its comment moderators should be worried
    Look at the comments on the Cif piece about corbyns antisemitic friends... Utter failure to engage with reality
    It is quite amusing that there seems to be a genuine belief that the vitriol being poured on Corbyn's head from within the Labour Party and from the likes of the Guardian is "proof that the Tories are scared of him" ;) Because anyone who criticises him is, de facto, a Tory!

It's a Syriza style mass delusion. There's no rational reasoning any more.
    Did Syriza beat an unpopular pro Austerity Govt or was it roundly rejected by the electorate?
    Greece has been through genuine austerity, seven years of recession and has unemployment running at 25% or so. The situation is not remotely comparable.
    They won then did they?
    Yes. Your point, since I've obviously missed it?
  • welshowl said:

alex. said:

Plato said:

It's a #JeSuisGuardian moment :wink:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

@MichaelPDeacon: The Guardian declares its support for Yvette Cooper. You'll never guess the response http://t.co/ErT39l5Hms

@MichaelPDeacon:

Stephen Bush ‏@stephenkb 16m16 minutes ago
    The Guardian has endorsed Yvette Cooper, and its comment moderators should be worried
    Look at the comments on the Cif piece about corbyns antisemitic friends... Utter failure to engage with reality
    It is quite amusing that there seems to be a genuine belief that the vitriol being poured on Corbyn's head from within the Labour Party and from the likes of the Guardian is "proof that the Tories are scared of him" ;) Because anyone who criticises him is, de facto, a Tory!

It's a Syriza style mass delusion. There's no rational reasoning any more.
    Did Syriza beat an unpopular pro Austerity Govt or was it roundly rejected by the electorate?
    Greece has been through genuine austerity, seven years of recession and has unemployment running at 25% or so. The situation is not remotely comparable.
    They won then did they?
    Except that the Greek government was unpopular, unlike Cameron's re-elected government.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

AndyJS said:

Cameron must be rueing the fixed term parliament act. With Corbyn as leader I imagine he'd prefer to have an election after 4 rather than 5 years.

The fixed term Parliament Act is as meaningful as a chocolate fireguard. If he wants to call an early election then instead of calling Her Majesty all the PM does is go to the Commons and table a motion that an early election be called and implement a three-line-whip on his own side to vote for an early election.

Unless the opposition votes against an early election two-thirds will easily be reached and Parliament is dissolved. If the Opposition Leader puts a three line whip on his side to vote against an election and insist on 12 more months of Conservative rule then he'd make his own side a complete mockery.
    He doesn't even have to rely on the Opposition. With a majority, he can also just offer his resignation to the Queen and call a vote of no confidence in any alternative Govt that attempts to form and within two weeks he has his election. (Schroder did something similar in Germany).

• SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    AndyJS said:

WTI crude oil goes below $42 for the first time since 2009:

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy

It's a long way to the bottom.
    I'm surprised that's so high, in December I said that by the summer the price of oil should be basically free given the giant world oil surplus.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: Growing speculation re Gordon Brown speech Edinburgh on Sunday. If to deliver knock-out to Corbyn he must act quickly. Voting starts tmrw.

If there is any expectation that Corbyn might inprove SLABs image with the Scottish voting public, it seems that Brown is out to crush this with his full weight.

Ridiculously risible choice of venue.
    Indeed. Since 2015 election Scotland has voted itself a sideshow in British politics. Allowing EV4EL and likely cementing 15 years of Tory rule.

As well as losing a referendum in 2014.

Pretty bad couple of years for progressive politics in Scotland.

Ah, 'Scotland' has lost a referendum has it?

An interesting interpretation.
    I guess tongue in cheek really is hard to read on t'net.

< irony >Didn't the SNP claim to speak up for Scotland?< /irony >

Luckily, it seems that Scotland wants to be spoken up for by London
    Irony is certainly hard to write.
    I suppose < irony > hashtags have to suffice for the more cackhanded types.
  • @Charles you must be having a laugh surely!

Scott_P said:

@MichaelPDeacon:

Aneurin Bevan was a Tory.
    Wasn't he the guy who called the Tories 'vermin' though?
    Strictly I think it was "lower than vermin". I don't know if he included Mrs Attlee in that.
    She probably side-eyed him whenever she saw him.

@Danny565 A Guardian mod is now level with Guido Fawkes mods, Telegraph and Speccie mods in regard to the swarm of rubbish they have to read everyday.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,046
    watford30 said:

Mr. 565, I agree novelty can be enticing, but if your lady friend says she wants to try something new, and it involves live-streaming ********** then you get the hell out.

Nationalise everything, abandon NATO, snuggle up to the Russian bear, Valentine's cards for Hamas and Hezbollah: these are a few of his favourite things. But I doubt they'll make the electorate go all gooey.

He'll get Luckguy's vote.
    I know I shouldn't feed trolls, but I'll bite.

I am not pro-terrorist, I'm anti-terrorist - anti the ones we don't like, and anti the ones we do like. You can't suddenly call terrorists the 'Free Syria Army' or the 'Free Libya Army' and support them to topple Arab strongmen - it results in a human catastrophe, and if you lie down with dogs, you get fleas.

I don't agree with 'snuggling up' to Russia, I agree with not antagonising the world's biggest nuclear power and one of the world's biggest providers of energy. America may see Russia as a strategic threat and wish to encircle her, that's America's affair and should not be ours. If anything we should be using whatever 'influence' we have to deflate the situation not hype it up.

NATO is the flip side of that coin. I'm all in favour of strategic alliances to promote security; my problem starts when they stop promoting security and start promoting insecurity. I don't know why NATO is trying to expand itself right up to Russia's borders. I suspect it's because that's what the US wants again. I'm comfortable with us remaining in NATO, provided doing so serves our national interests. If it doesn't, we shouldn't be in it.

• DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    Floater said:

I feel sensible Labour supporters pain........ and revel in it.

http://youtu.be/u6i9BsYwspo
  • alex. said:

AndyJS said:

Cameron must be rueing the fixed term parliament act. With Corbyn as leader I imagine he'd prefer to have an election after 4 rather than 5 years.

The fixed term Parliament Act is as meaningful as a chocolate fireguard. If he wants to call an early election then instead of calling Her Majesty all the PM does is go to the Commons and table a motion that an early election be called and implement a three-line-whip on his own side to vote for an early election.

Unless the opposition votes against an early election two-thirds will easily be reached and Parliament is dissolved. If the Opposition Leader puts a three line whip on his side to vote against an election and insist on 12 more months of Conservative rule then he'd make his own side a complete mockery.
    He doesn't even have to rely on the Opposition. With a majority, he can also just offer his resignation to the Queen and call a vote of no confidence in any alternative Govt that attempts to form and within two weeks he has his election. (Schroder did something similar in Germany).

That's a possibility but unnecessarily complicated. By tabling a motion for an early election the election is called immediately rather than in two weeks, unless the opposition overwhelmingly gives confidence to the established government. Which if they do would render the opposition a complete laughing stock sending their ratings through the floor.

It's one thing being too frit to face an election from office like Brown was (but that hurt his ratings tremendously), it is a completely different matter being too frit to face an election from Opposition.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

@MichaelLCrick: Growing speculation re Gordon Brown speech Edinburgh on Sunday. If to deliver knock-out to Corbyn he must act quickly. Voting starts tmrw.

If there is any expectation that Corbyn might inprove SLABs image with the Scottish voting public, it seems that Brown is out to crush this with his full weight.

Indeed. Since 2015 election Scotland has voted itself a sideshow in British politics. Allowing EV4EL and likely cementing 15 years of Tory rule.

PB is more of a post-modern arena. People tend to interpret life/the world/other comments in the best light for them, and the worst for everyone else.

Anyway - looking forward to seeing essays like this in future politics courses

SNP, sidelined by their own success (2015) after their only coherent policy was defeated by mass democracy (2014). Discuss

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    2 new US presidential politics blind items

This Republican Presidential Candidate may be the first one out of the race!: "He’s been through this before and he knows he’s done. The polls, the debate, the donations – none of it’s good. Staff morale is low. Unless there’s some miracle, he’s going to pull the plug [on the campaign] by the end of September."
    http://blindgossip.com/?p=73045

Usually it’s the opposing political party that takes the biggest negative shots at a Presidential Candidate. However, in this case, the shot against one Candidate are being orchestrated by another Candidate in his own party! What are they going to do? They are going to try to paint the First Candidate as a racist! Right now, the Second Candidate’s people are interviewing and "encouraging/incentivizing" those who have WORKED with/dealt with the First Candidate over the years to give specific examples of anything – anything! – that he has said or done that could be interpreted as racist. "Some of the stories are really dumb, and it would be embarrassing to put them out. "He only eats vanilla ice cream? Never chocolate? That’s racist!" I don’t know which of these [accusations] they are going to use, but they’re feeling kind of desperate about taking him out of the race A.S.A.P. Just don’t expect [Second Candidate] to admit that this is coming from his camp. He doesn’t want the blowback."
    http://blindgossip.com/?p=73071
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Fun, fun, fun...

@JohnRentoul: That means @jeremycorbyn has the positive support of 22 Labour MPs, or 9% of the parliamentary party http://t.co/zFdZlzoaBB
  • Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Magnificent speech by Corbyn in Aberdeen. Will you be attending the Glasgow rally?
    Scott_P said:

Fun, fun, fun...

@JohnRentoul: That means @jeremycorbyn has the positive support of 22 Labour MPs, or 9% of the parliamentary party http://t.co/zFdZlzoaBB

Not sure it would happen but imagine a scenario where the vast majority of the PLP decided to not turn up to Corbyn's first PMQs. They aren't obliged to turn up after all. You could have a PMQs where the Speaker couldn't call more than a handful of Labour questions (which can only come from the back bench in addition to the LOTO)
    edited August 2015
    HYUFD said:

This Republican Presidential Candidate may be the first one out of the race!: "He’s been through this before and he knows he’s done. The polls, the debate, the donations – none of it’s good. Staff morale is low. Unless there’s some miracle, he’s going to pull the plug [on the campaign] by the end of September."

Usually it’s the opposing political party that takes the biggest negative shots at a Presidential Candidate. However, in this case, the shot against one Candidate are being orchestrated by another Candidate in his own party! What are they going to do? They are going to try to paint the First Candidate as a racist! Right now, the Second Candidate’s people are interviewing and "encouraging/incentivizing" those who have WORKED with/dealt with the First Candidate over the years to give specific examples of anything – anything! – that he has said or done that could be interpreted as racist. "Some of the stories are really dumb, and it would be embarrassing to put them out. "He only eats vanilla ice cream? Never chocolate? That’s racist!" I don’t know which of these [accusations] they are going to use, but they’re feeling kind of desperate about taking him out of the race A.S.A.P. Just don’t expect [Second Candidate] to admit that this is coming from his camp. He doesn’t want the blowback."

I can tell you who they are:

1.Rick Perry
    2.Jeb Bush on Trump.

I can't believe that Jeb Bush is so stupid as to accuse Trump of "He only eats vanilla ice cream? Never chocolate? That’s racist!", but as I said he makes his brother look like Einstein.
    Of course though all the above is just from a gossip website.
    @DouglasCarswell: UKIP will accept Labour MPs seeking to escape Corbynism who share our values and desire for real change ;0) https://t.co/VEZhM9e285
    @MichaelLCrick: I'm now told Gordon Brown is NOT planning to speak out against Corbyn, & as things stand, isn't making speech in Edinburgh at weekend
    Scott_P said:

Fun, fun, fun...

But 22 MP's only have 22 votes, 611000 people have more votes than the total of MP's who either support or oppose Corbyn, that's why in this election MP's don't matter more than the guy next door.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Scott_P said:

@DouglasCarswell: UKIP will accept Labour MPs seeking to escape Corbynism who share our values and desire for real change ;0) https://t.co/VEZhM9e285

Has Danczuk liked or retweeted it yet ?
    @LabourList: Labour's on the brink of becoming irrelevant to the majority of working people. Latest from @JonCruddas_1's review http://ow.ly/QScd3
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    alex. said:

Diane for London ‏@DianeforLondon 2 mins2 minutes ago

. @HackneyAbbott happy to bet £20 on @jeremycorbyn @Corbyn4Leader to be prime minister in 2020! #lbcdebate #JezWeCan

Bless.

Is there a possibility that Diane Abbot could win the Labour nomination? That would be the fast track to the delusional bubble in the Labour Party being pricked in no time!

Is it possible? Yes. She sits third behind Khan and Jowell.

Is it likely? No. She won't command the support of many 2nd prefs.

What odds can I get? 25/1 on the candidacy. I think that's too long, should be 8/1.
    Scott_P said:

Some Labour MP's are against the principle of voting, it will be tricky to have Carswell who wants to boost democracy and Danczuck who wants to restrict it under the same roof.
    Does Neil Kinnock still think that he's got his Labour Party back?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

3rd like Burnham

I think you mean: 3rd like Labour in 2020.

We can but dream
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

I can tell you who they are:

1.Rick Perry
    2.Jeb Bush on Trump.

I can't believe that Jeb Bush is so stupid as to accuse Trump of "He only eats vanilla ice cream? Never chocolate? That’s racist!", but as I said he makes his brother look like Einstein.
    Of course though all the above is just from a gossip website.
    Well your guesses certainly seem to chime in with many others, but I am saying nothing!
    There seems to be a new strand of opinion with the Corbyn supporting left that says that Michael Foot only lost in 1983 because of the Falkland's war. Or maybe they always believed that?
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Scott_P said:

Out of all of the Labour MPs I would say Danczuk is the most likely to defect to UKIP. I believe he quite likes Farage. I doubt it would happen though.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2015
    I'm surprised publicity starved Simon Danczuk didn't stand. His wife could have gone topless on social media for months
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    Roger said:

I'm surprised publicity starved Simon Danczuk didn't stand. His wife could have gone topless on social media for months

They have split up
    alex. said:

Does Neil Kinnock still think that he's got his Labour Party back?

Supporting Burnham so no
    edited August 2015
    alex. said:

There seems to be a new strand of opinion with the Corbyn supporting left that says that Michael Foot only lost in 1983 because of the Falkland's war. Or maybe they always believed that?

Nope, Foot lost because of 2 factors, the SDP & the war.
    On the eve of the SDP's formation Labour were 20 points ahead in the polls.
    The war destroyed the SDP, but even in the absence of the SDP Foot would probably had replicated the 1979 result in a 1984 election as the economy started to recover at the end of 82, combined with the war that would have been enough for Thacher.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    alex. said:

They certainly believed at the time that people voted for Thatcher because Labour wasn't left wing enough.

• richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    bigjohnowls...that's Roger..totally up to speed...

Roger said:

They have split up
    She might be off to marry Corbyn as she doesn't look like she likes losers, jokingly.
    Scott_P said:

Fun, fun, fun...

So thats 230 votes out of 610,000 that definitely wont go to Jezza.

Best cancel the election then
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    calum said:

I think on the face of it rather bizarrely Corbyn seems to have established an SNP like anti-establishment movement from within the Labour party - without anyone noticing. Should Corbyn win how many Labour MPs will seek to defect or set up a new party? I think they are showing themselves to be a spineless bunch - very few would have the guts to go.

Spot on. But revolutions often consume their own, so we shall see where it all goes next. The Labour Party Conference is going to be very entertaining this autumn! Will they be selling popcorn?

I have had emails from all, but a 20 page colour brochure from the Noncefinder General. I see on page 18 I see he is planning further smelling outs. 10/10 for effort, but an appalling candidate to be Crown Prince. A heartbeat away from being leader...

Scott_P said:

Fun, fun, fun...

The SNP won't have to worry about not finding space to sit on the front bench.

• RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    BJO

"They have split up"

Oh dear. Poor Rochdale. Where will they get their entertainment from now?
    alex. said:

Scott_P said:

Fun, fun, fun...

The SNP won't have to worry about not finding space to sit on the front bench.

Perhaps Jezza can second some prominent Scots into shadow cabinet
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Unite has worked over mainstream PLP real good. Assuming JC gets the chief comrade job in PLP he will then have outlived his usefulness to everyone but who is Len's cuckoo in the nest? Is there a list of Unite sponsored MPs? That might be a bit obvious for Len though. Maybe a quick by-election?
    Trump has taken a scalp:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/08/13/megyn-kelly-i-m-going-on-vacation.html?via=twitter_page

Probably that was in the surrender terms that Fox agreed to.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Some Labour MP's are against the principle of voting, it will be tricky to have Carswell who wants to boost democracy and Danczuck who wants to restrict it under the same roof.
    UKIP could have had a real chance of defections had Suzanne Evans been in charge. The unresignation kerfuffle makes it clear that anyone will always be second string to Nigel., however.
    edited August 2015
    A bit of an incident at the Corbyn rally in Dundee:

Kieran Andrews
    @C_KAndrews
    A bit of shouting from our #indyref2 pal, there. He didn't take up much time before, right enough. He in turn is told to shut up by audience

Andrew Liddle
    @C_ALiddle
    Numerous guests leave as Tony Cox starts shouting at #Corbyn about #indyref
    edited August 2015
    O/T:

"Police are investigating the first ever case of 'cyber-flashing' after an unwanted lewd picture popped up on a shocked commuter's iPhone.
    Lorraine Crighton-Smith said she felt 'violated' after she received the graphic image of a stranger's genitalia on her smartphone via Apple's Airdrop feature.
    The horrified 34-year-old, who was on the train on her way to work, had no sooner declined the photo before a second appeared - triggering fears the 'flasher' may be in the same carriage."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3196661/Police-investigate-Britain-s-case-CYBER-FLASHING-commuter-receives-unwanted-graphic-picture-iPhone-using-Airdrop-feature.html
    It amuses me that if some MPs refuse to join a shadow cabinet we could get the beast of Bolsover as Shadow energy, michael meacher as chancellor and Eck as Shadow Foreign Secretary.

Seriously though why do some of the 230 MPs believe they are more important than 610,000 voters?
    @michaelsavage: Kendall calls for voting pact to prevent Jeremy Corbyn becoming Labour leader http://t.co/tutKdupDLA
    edited August 2015

It amuses me that if some MPs refuse to join a shadow cabinet we could get the beast of Bolsover as Shadow energy, michael meacher as chancellor and Eck as Shadow Foreign Secretary.

Seriously though why do some of the 230 MPs believe they are more important than 610,000 voters?

I think the thinking might go:
    "Because we are MP's, we should be treated like royalty not like commoners, after all we are Members of the House of Commons."
    Speedy said:

Trump has taken a scalp:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/08/13/megyn-kelly-i-m-going-on-vacation.html?via=twitter_page

Trump won by the looks of it. He has a few interviews lined up with other networks which Fox were keen to do.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

Because 13m voters is the target. 610,000 voters is a self-indulgent hand shandy....
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

"Police are investigating the first ever case of 'cyber-flashing' after an unwanted lewd picture popped up on a shocked commuter's iPhone.
    Lorraine Crighton-Smith said she felt 'violated' after she received the graphic image of a stranger's genitalia on her smartphone via Apple's Airdrop feature.
    The horrified 34-year-old, who was on the train on her way to work, had no sooner declined the photo before a second appeared - triggering fears the 'flasher' may be in the same carriage."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3196661/Police-investigate-Britain-s-case-CYBER-FLASHING-commuter-receives-unwanted-graphic-picture-iPhone-using-Airdrop-feature.html

TSE has been having problem with his i phone today.

3 Tony Blairs

Now 2 Genitalia Airdrops???
    MP_SE said:

Speedy said:

Trump has taken a scalp:

Trump won by the looks of it. He has a few interviews lined up with other networks which Fox were keen to do.
    The biggest ratings in US TV history always trumps (ha) journalism.
    edited August 2015

Jeremy Corbyn never felt obliged to support the leadership of the Labour Party, so why should any of the others feel obliged to support him? And most of the "610,000" are not Labour members but are only in the electorate because they signed up to vote for Corbyn. You might as well ask why do the 610,000 believe they are more important than the 50 million people that make up the UK electorate.

Are you happy that Jeremy Corbyn made it into the Labour leadership race?
    Yes, the left needs a strong voice 39%
    No, he'd be a disaster for Labour 20%
    Yes, he'd be a disaster for Labour 41%
    alex. said:

Jeremy Corbyn never felt obliged to support the leadership of the Labour Party, so why should any of the others? And most of the "610,000" are not Labour members but are only in the electorate because they signed up to vote for Corbyn. You might as well ask why do the 610,000 believe they are more important than the 50 million people that make up the UK electorate.

Because they care to vote?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,014
    "To get a better sense of people’s feelings about the political parties, we asked the 3000 people we polled: ‘what was the main reason you voted for party x?’ This was an open question and these are some of the reasons people gave for why they would not vote Labour:

‘Give everyone who isn’t working as much money as they want from the people who work their asses off. Let everyone in the country.’

‘A free for all on benefits.’

‘still preaching the welfare state pie in sky politics….’

‘Will spend all your taxes on benefit scroungers !!!!’

‘Benefits for all’

‘Tax those that work and pay high benefits to those who don’t want to work.’

‘want to take from hard working people and distribute it more evenly to the poor on benefits’"

If the Tories can sort welfare *and* reform and control immigration (the latter a massive if) then they've got government sewn up for well over another decade.
    Scott_P said:

@michaelsavage: Kendall calls for voting pact to prevent Jeremy Corbyn becoming Labour leader http://t.co/tutKdupDLA

A bit late she should have pulled out weeks ago.

A bad last beckons as her reward and Jezza as leader to boot probably
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

RodCrosby said:

Plato said:

The Jewish Chronicle has found Mr Corbyn reluctant to answer... http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/142144/the-key-questions-jeremy-corbyn-must-answer

...If Mr Corbyn is not to be regarded from the day of his election as an enemy of Britain’s Jewish community, he has a number of questions which he must answer in full and immediately. The JC asked him earlier this week to respond. No response has been forthcoming.

1. Did you donate, as alleged by its founder, to Deir Yassin Remembered (DYR), a group that publishes open antisemtism, run by Holocaust denier Paul Eisen — an organisation so extreme that even the Palestine Solidarity Campaign refuses to associate with it?

2. Have you, as Mr Eisen claims, regularly attended DYR’s annual conference?

3. Why have you accepted an invitation to appear at a conference on August 22 alongside Carlos Latuff, the notorious anti-Semitic cartoonist?

4. Why did you write to the Church of England authorities to defend Rev Stephen Sizer, a vicar banned from social media because of his habit of posting anti-Semitic conspiracy theories, telling them that Rev Sizer was “under attack” because he had “dared to speak out over Zionism”?

5. Why do you associate with Hamas and Hezbollah and refer to them as your “friends”?

6. Why have you failed to condemn the anti-Semitic posters and banners that dominate the annual Al-Quds Day rally, sponsored by the Stop The War Coalition, which you chair?

7. Why did you describe Raead Salah, a man convicted of the blood libel, as an ‘honoured citizen’?

It is difficult not to see a pattern in Mr Corbyn’s associations, and his refusal at any point to answer the fears of the Jewish community raised by these associations.

In a nation where, thank heavens, racism and extremism are now regarded as beyond the pale, it is little short of astonishing that a man who chooses to associate with racists and extremists is about to become leader of one of our two main parties and could conceivably become Prime Minister.
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Lots floating around this @J_Bloodworth Corbyn piece. Seems key issue is did he give money and did he go to rallies. http://t.co/dCCxurocJJ

Why has anyone got to submit to such a self-serving, hysterical, factually-inaccurate, fallacious inquisition?
    They don't have to answer, but their silence may well be due to anti-semitism.

I have no idea what any of the things in those questions are about or who the people involved are. But the questions clearly aren't motivated by a desire for information. They sound like something from the green ink brigade.
    Speedy said:

alex. said:

Jeremy Corbyn never felt obliged to support the leadership of the Labour Party, so why should any of the others? And most of the "610,000" are not Labour members but are only in the electorate because they signed up to vote for Corbyn. You might as well ask why do the 610,000 believe they are more important than the 50 million people that make up the UK electorate.

And yet many are, we are told, from the large group of people who only three months ago didn't care enough to vote in an election that actually meant something.

Scott_P said:

The election is under AV, has Kendall forgotten about it.
    And Corbyn is winning on first preferences too.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Scott_P said:

You must really love the Tories to want Corbyn as the Labour leader.

"To get a better sense of people’s feelings about the political parties, we asked the 3000 people we polled: ‘what was the main reason you voted for party x?’ This was an open question and these are some of the reasons people gave for why they would not vote Labour:

‘Give everyone who isn’t working as much money as they want from the people who work their asses off. Let everyone in the country.’

‘Benefits for all’

‘want to take from hard working people and distribute it more evenly to the poor on benefits’"

If the Tories can sort welfare *and* reform and control immigration (the latter a massive if) then they've got government sewn up for well over another decade.

Replace the word benefit with pension and the Tories have the 2015/2020 policy sorted.
    alex. said:

Speedy said:

alex. said:

And yet many are, we are told, from the large group of people who only three months ago didn't care enough to vote in an election that actually meant something.

Good question, how many of them did vote in May?

Scott_P said:

She'll be getting one from me.

Scott_P said:

I love the Tories.

I thought I had made that clear.

All that misinformation about EICIPM was a dead giveaway!!!

Scott_P said:

Anyone who opposes Corbyn from within the Labour Party/movement is a Tory. Ergo the Tories don't want Corbyn to win. The logic is foolproof.

• isamisam Posts: 40,730
    JEO said:

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

UKIP could have had a real chance of defections had Suzanne Evans been in charge. The unresignation kerfuffle makes it clear that anyone will always be second string to Nigel., however.
    I disagree. Suzanne is a nice woman but to compare her favourably with Farage is ludicrous in my opinion

She didn't even win her seat on Merton council!
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

I thought she was your least profitable outcome

Does Mrs Pulpstar know?

‘Benefits for all’

Replace the word benefit with pension and the Tories have the 2015/2020 policy sorted.
    I agree the Tories are effectively buying block votes with their pension policies.

There's nothing wrong with providing dignity in old age and ending pensioner poverty. But the triple lock and universal benefits for winter fuel, bus passes and TV licences are ridiculous.

I'd prefer that money went on mental health and long-term care. The triple lock is the most expensive of them all, and inexcusable at a time of austerity.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

The election is under AV, has Kendall forgotten about it.
    And Corbyn is winning on first preferences too.
    All Liz has done is recommend that her supporters use their second and third preferences, and not for Corbyn.

She gets my vote but Jezza gets my second choice. I would rather that a new generation came through from the centrist wing, but if the purge has to happen from the left then so be it. As Lenin reputedly said "the worse, the better".
    NEW THREAD
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

You want to give Liz one?

‘Benefits for all’

I agree the Tories are effectively buying block votes with their pension policies.

There's nothing wrong with providing dignity in old age and ending pensioner poverty. But the triple lock and universal benefits for winter fuel, bus passes and TV licences are ridiculous.

I'd prefer that money went on mental health and long-term care. The triple lock is the most expensive of them all, and inexcusable at a time of austerity.
    Agree
    edited August 2015
    Yes but at the same time many families are in serious trouble over the refusal of the government to pay for the cost of elderly people staying in care homes.

‘Benefits for all’

Mayor of Calais threatens to reduce the level of policing unless Cameron pays compensation to them. The figures for the number of people living in the camp have gone from 3,000 to over 5,000 with more on the way. I wonder what would happen if the camp increased to 10-15,000.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3196942/Calais-mayor-Natacha-Bouchart-accused-David-Cameron-mocking-French.html
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Just had a look at the four candidates websites. JC's stands out as the most compelling one, and the only one with a detailed itinerary. If you were judging it on web savvy he'd be in the lead.
    AndyJS said:

Yes but at the same time many families are in serious trouble over the refusal of the government to pay for the cost of elderly people staying in care homes.

‘Benefits for all’

That's what I said.
    HELLO NEW THREAD