Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

13»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Speedy said:

@HYUFD

Whilst waiting for the by-election results have a look at this, no wonder Fox News surrendered to Trump, Trump's entire political movements so far can be deciphered by this crazy stuff he did at Wrestlemania, this is essentially his entire political campaign in a 4 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ1L013k5Hw

He is certainly following in Jesse Ventura's footsteps
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    YouGov is assuming identical turnout between all 3 groups.

That's right - they are assuming someone who said "Yes" on one phone call is as likely to vote as someone who sends in £45 every year.

If Corbyn doesn't win you really will not need to be Einstein to work out why the result did not match the polls.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Labour has lost their seat in Exeter to the Tories by 6 votes.
  • Options
    Al Gore insiders examining if there is a path for him to run for president
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/al-gore-insiders-figuring-out-if-theres-a-path-for-him-to-ru#.bkLngVlQvp
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Danny565 said:

Prof Paul Whitely, from the University of Essex, has been researching the demographic makeup of party membership since 1992 and most recently he has investigated norms in political opinion.
    "We've been conducting surveys since 2013. The assumption in Westminster is parties need to be close together in the 'centre ground', but that is not what drives elections.
    "Voters are not asking themselves, 'Where is Jeremy Corbyn on the left-right dimension?' They're asking themselves: 'Is this guy saying something which is new which might help me and deal with the problems that Britain faces?'
    "The thing about Jeremy Corbyn, whether you agree or disagree with him, is that he has a new narrative and I think that's what's exciting people."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33881104
    This is fascinating stuff and must be a source of optimism for Corbyites and of course all the rest the Labour Party.
    Whitely has been doing this stuff for a long time as this piece from The Guardian optimistically reported in Feb2015
    ''The Labour Party will narrowly win more seats than the Conservatives – and the Liberal Democrats will be saved from wipe out by the first-past-the-post system, according to a new electoral forecast by Prof Paul Whiteley at the University of Essex, co-director of the British Election Study from 2001 to 2012.''
    Whiteley does seem to be a bit of a cockeyed-optimist, doesn't he?!

To be fair, there was no small number of posters on pbc who said the same, pre-election.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,190

alex. said:

How precisely does Corbyn propose to "nationalise the energy sector"? Whilst at least he can try to claim that nationalising the railways won't cost much/anything because of all the subsidies the rail companies allegedly get to fund their profits, how is he proposing to buy out the energy sector?

Nationalisation is relatively easy. You can pay the market price for the shares, or compel the current owners to hand them over in return for some kind of bond. The debate is whether or not it is a good idea. If it stops my concentration being interrupted by people ringing me up offering to give me a better deal on my electricity bill every half hour when I am trying to work I'll be in favour of it.
    Have you thought of getting an answerphone?

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Danny565 said:

Prof Paul Whitely, from the University of Essex, has been researching the demographic makeup of party membership since 1992 and most recently he has investigated norms in political opinion.
    "We've been conducting surveys since 2013. The assumption in Westminster is parties need to be close together in the 'centre ground', but that is not what drives elections.
    "Voters are not asking themselves, 'Where is Jeremy Corbyn on the left-right dimension?' They're asking themselves: 'Is this guy saying something which is new which might help me and deal with the problems that Britain faces?'
    "The thing about Jeremy Corbyn, whether you agree or disagree with him, is that he has a new narrative and I think that's what's exciting people."
    This is fascinating stuff and must be a source of optimism for Corbyites and of course all the rest the Labour Party.
    Whitely has been doing this stuff for a long time as this piece from The Guardian optimistically reported in Feb2015
    ''The Labour Party will narrowly win more seats than the Conservatives – and the Liberal Democrats will be saved from wipe out by the first-past-the-post system, according to a new electoral forecast by Prof Paul Whiteley at the University of Essex, co-director of the British Election Study from 2001 to 2012.''
    To be fair, there was no small number of posters on pbc who said the same, pre-election.

Yes, but they don't get feature articles in the Guardian...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,718

Danny565 said:

*cough*
    AndyJS said:

Labour has lost their seat in Exeter to the Tories by 6 votes.

Clearly all this 'non-corbynites are Tories' stuff convinced enough Labour voters in Exeter to show their true colours. Or they looked around and said 'Hang on, this is the SW isn't it? Aren't we supposed to be voting Tory?'

Good night all.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    HYUFD said:
    There have been rumors about this for a couple of weeks - doesn't seem likely though.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Disraeli said:

Speedy said:

Disraeli said:

Something that surprises me about the Labour leadership election.....
    There have been lots of polls in the US showing opinion on the various possible Democratic Candidate versus Republican candidate matchups. (Clinton v Bush, Clinton v Trump, etc)

Has anyone seen any equivalent polling on the relative strengths of the four Labour candidates versus the Tories? e.g. asking the public as a whole which one might make them more likely to vote Labour?

Yes, a yougov poll from 3 weeks ago.
    Burnham is at -2.
    Corbyn at -2.
    Kendall at -3.
    Cooper at -6.

They all make people less likely to vote Labour net.
    Thanks Speedy.
    Depressing reading for all four contenders, really.
    Though Corbyn has a net positive in Scotland. Of other potential contendors polled who are not running Alan Johnson and David Miliband had positive ratings overall and were ahead of all 4 contendors running
    Apparently he's been making comments about opposing Scotland utilising the new tax powers they have been given, and strongly opposing any transfers of business taxation (of course he wants to use business taxation to fund a lot of his schemes and doesn't like the idea of being undercut by Scotland - although why being undercut by other countries isn't a problem for him isn't clear). SNP are "seeking clarification"...

Only because he wants to raise their taxes even further
  • Options
    Meanwhile, on TNT televising the PGA the debate continues about the color of Rory McIlroy's pants. A Nike spokesman has just announced - they are fuchsia.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:
    There have been rumors about this for a couple of weeks - doesn't seem likely though.
    No, not at the moment, however if Hillary is weakened further Gore may get in, there is no love lost between those 2 (and has not been after Hillary tried to take his office and he distanced himself from Bill)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

alex. said:

Have you thought of getting an answerphone?

I have a call bureau - but I direct the line directly to my desk when I have a client call scheduled.

• Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Here is the Daily Mail on the risks of power cuts from private energy suppliers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-192597/Britain-winter-power-cut.html

Any risk of power cuts comes from Labour's refusal to sanction new power stations until it was too late.
    This government has given the go ahead for up to 8 new nuclear stations. Unfortunately the SNP have said no nuclear stations will be built in Scotland.

As it happens the UK's peak electrical demand fell from 61.5 GW to 57.5 GW between 2007 and 2012 - whilst your article says ''Current UK generating capacity is put at 65,000 megawatts and demand peaked last December at 54,000 megawatts.''
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Denny & Banknock (Falkirk) result:
    SNP - 69.1% (+30.2)
    LAB - 14.7% (-15.9)
    CON - 11.6% (+7.9)
    GRN - 4.6% (+4.6)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:
    No, not at the moment, however if Hillary is weakened further Gore may get in, there is no love lost between those 2 (and has not been after Hillary tried to take his office and he distanced himself from Bill)
    Hillary has 2 main problems -

1) she is a weak candidate, and it is becoming increasingly obvious that the more people hear and see of her the less they like her

2) EMAILS. Now she has 'voluntarily' turned her server over to the FBI, that will go quiet until the Feds have something to say, which will be months. It is confirmed that she had 'Top Secret' materials in 2 emails. The regular release of her emails from State will continue until the end of January, reinforcing the untrustworthy theme.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited August 2015
    TGOHF said:

SNP - 69.1% (+30.2)
    LAB - 14.7% (-15.9)
    CON - 11.6% (+7.9)
    GRN - 4.6% (+4.6)

Corbynmania is reaching every part of the UK, exciting people from lands end to john o'groats. Is there no stopping this electoral phenomenom?
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    edited August 2015
    Tim_B said:

Meanwhile, on TNT televising the PGA the debate continues about the color of Rory McIlroy's pants. A Nike spokesman has just announced - they are fuchsia.

Even when he was just a young player, I recognized that McIlroy was the golfer of the fuchsia.

EDIT: I bet that they suit him to a tee.
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

Even when he was just a young player, I recognized that McIlroy was the golfer of the fuchsia.

EDIT: I bet that they suit him to a tee.
    You and your purple prose ;)
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    alex. said:

TGOHF said:

SNP - 69.1% (+30.2)
    LAB - 14.7% (-15.9)
    CON - 11.6% (+7.9)
    GRN - 4.6% (+4.6)

Corbynmania is reaching every part of the UK, exciting people from lands end to john o'groats. Is there no stopping this electoral phenomenom?
    Farronmania in full flow too..
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Danny565 said:

It's hard to criticise the man for that when he was relying on input data (the polls) that were shoddy. He wasn't to know that.

I think the Corbyn supporters are correct when they say that people aren't judged on the right-left spectrum. But I think it's incorrect to say people also want something "new" (they're quite happy sticking with something old if they think it's the right approach), and they also need more than wanting something which will help them personally. They also want something that they feel is workable and is in line with their values. The problem Corbyn has is that ideas like printing money to fund infrastructure don't come across as workable, and his views of Hamas and Hezbollah make him seem like he is far out of touch with most people's values.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

alex. said:

TGOHF said:

SNP - 69.1% (+30.2)
    LAB - 14.7% (-15.9)
    CON - 11.6% (+7.9)
    GRN - 4.6% (+4.6)

Farronmania in full flow too..
    PB Tory propaganda!
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Saltire said:

MikeK said:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 3m3 minutes ago
    Conservative GAIN Pinhoe (Exeter) from Labour.

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 3m3 minutes ago
    Conservative HOLD Nuneaton Whitestone (Warwickshire).

Also:

Liberal Democrat GAIN Glasbury (Powys) from Conservative.

— Britain Elects (@britainelects) August 13, 2015

So that's four days of orgasmic "Lib Dem Fightback Success Glorious Wonderfulness Begins Now!" upcoming thread headers to ignore.

Deep Joy.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:
    I don't see what the Democrats gain from replacing one aloof establishment figure with another one. If they decide to drop Clinton, they need someone younger that has more dynamism and charisma. Given that Chafee and Webb do not seem acceptable to the majority of the party, that only leaves O'Malley.
  • Options
    Didn't someone say earlier that tonight's by-elections would be boring because none would change hands? I think at least two have so far.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Pants or knickers? :)
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:
    I don't see what the Democrats gain from replacing one aloof establishment figure with another one. If they decide to drop Clinton, they need someone younger that has more dynamism and charisma. Given that Chafee and Webb do not seem acceptable to the majority of the party, that only leaves O'Malley.
    Gore has already beaten 1 Bush in the popular vote, and arguably the electoral college too but for some hanging chads. Biden may also get in. O'Malley is an asterisk at the moment
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:
    Hillary has 2 main problems -

1) she is a weak candidate, and it is becoming increasingly obvious that the more people hear and see of her the less they like her

2) EMAILS. Now she has 'voluntarily' turned her server over to the FBI, that will go quiet until the Feds have something to say, which will be months. It is confirmed that she had 'Top Secret' materials in 2 emails. The regular release of her emails from State will continue until the end of January, reinforcing the untrustworthy theme.
    Maybe, but she still tends to lead most polls and the GOP may yet pick Trump
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2015
    @ HYUFD

"The Presidential Candidate And The Journalist"

http://blindgossip.com/?p=73124

Your gossip site is abysmal, what is this, implying that Trump had an affair with Megan Kelly is beyond nuts.
    I don't know were you found it, but it makes order-order look like the NYT.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,183
    The Tories have costed some of JC's policies - why now?
  • Options
    Gore's people having a "soft conversation" about another run:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/al-gores-friends-aides-eyeing-2016-race/story?id=33072322
  • Options
    Speedy said:

@ HYUFD

"The Presidential Candidate And The Journalist"

http://blindgossip.com/?p=73124

Your gossip site is abysmal, what is this, implying that Trump had an affair with Megan Kelly is beyond nuts.
    I don't know were you found it, but it makes order-order look like the NYT.

Your guess is as good as mind, but it is only a gossip site. Mind you, the John Edwards affair first broke in National Enquirer
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    I see that Lab to SNP swings in both Denny and Lanarkshire tonight keep up the 20-22.5 average of the other contests in Glasgow and Aberdeen in recent weeks. All in all that is 30,000-40,000 of a sample and the pattern is very, very consistent. All of these results suggest that the SNP is some 40 points ahead of Labour just now - just like the Systems Three Opinion poll this week which suggested 62-23%

These are truly remarkable figures.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Today brought a phone canvass call from Corbyn's campaign and a well-printed leaflet from Burnham (haven't read it yet, just got in), as well as a well-printed one from Lammy for London. Haven't heard from Cooper or Kendall's campaigns yet except by email - or from the other London candidates.
  • Options

Today brought a phone canvass call from Corbyn's campaign and a well-printed leaflet from Burnham (haven't read it yet, just got in), as well as a well-printed one from Lammy for London. Haven't heard from Cooper or Kendall's campaigns yet except by email - or from the other London candidates.

...and the response to phone poll?
  • Options
    Fiorina, the roll continues:

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/lara-brown/2015/08/13/carly-fiorinas-2016-gop-rise-has-just-begun

Now 6th GOP fav on Betfair. She's value at 17.
  • Options
    Daily Mirror backs Burnham.
  • Options

Daily Mirror backs Burnham.

Sunil on Sunday backs Corbyn...(?)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    "Greek members of parliament are debating late into the night ahead of a vote on a new bailout agreement.
    The proposed deal involves tax rises and spending cuts in return for a third international bailout of about €85bn (£61bn).
    Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has said he is confident he will win the vote, but some senior members of his Syriza party are defying the government.
    The debate itself was preceded by hours of often angry exchanges in parliament."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33914956

I didn't know they were still debating the bailout! When will it end...
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    May I be the first to coin the phrase.......

"Supercobynisticlabourareatrocious"

With thanks Ms Poppins.

(Beat the sun to it)