Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Revised analysis of YouGov’s LAB selectorate poll has Corby

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    That was such a great seam of WTFery and fun. He was so obsessed, that he spent Christmas Day editing the Wiki entry of a rival.
    MattW said:

https://twitter.com/pollytoynbee/status/85712783164968961

(Sorry. Wrong button. Ah well .. it's out there now.)

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Pauly, obviously that was an extremely subtle jest on my part ;)

You know what it's like. Any post commenting on typos is likelier to contain one. And I did check my coursework/exam essays more closely than a post on the interweb :p

Mr. Abroad, I could, but as I'm dipping in here between writing bits and pieces I'm not going to spend the time doing so. You'll just have to imaginate ungood English.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Hmmm.

3 questions:

1 - How many of the "entryists" come from the SNP? I don't think that has been mentioned. They were willing to tell all those economic lies to their own supporters, so I can't see principles the SNP hasn't got stopping them. Will any data be published by Labour after the fact?

2 - What happens to "supporters" after the Corbyngasm. Are they just names on an email list with new politico-callers, or is it gouing to be turned into a continuing affiliation?

3 - How long do these new members stick around? I can recall Green palpitations about a loss of new members after 3 years when authorisation for auto-payments had to be renewed.

The only way to stick around is to become a full Labour member.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

SO No is still narrowly ahead in indyref2 polls and outside London the other area Corbyn polls well is Scotland

Corbyn may win Labour a few more votes in Scotland, but that won't stop the Tories getting 40% in England in 2020 and, therefore, an overall majority. The SNP will use the 2021 Scottish election to get a direct mandate for IndyRef2, they'll receive it, Osborne will have to agree and Scotland will be independent by 2025.

I doubt another Islington muppet will make much inroads in Scotland, it has not stopped yet. Every result we see now has SNP rising, the Tory leader has scuttled off to Edinburgh and stolen someone's place to giver her a chance of a losers consolation seat just to stay in charge. As you say it is only a matter of time now, a one way street.

Denny & Banknock (Falkirk) result:
    SNP - 69.1% (+30.2)
    LAB - 14.7% (-15.9)
    CON - 11.6% (+7.9)
    GRN - 4.6% (+4.6)
    Corbyn is on +7% in Scotland with yougov -4% in England and Wales, he could get Labour to 30 to 35% in Scotland
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Cromwell said:

Sandpit said:

Morning all! Is this just a big and weird dream, or is Jeremy Corbyn actually going to be leader of the Labour Party in four weeks' time..?

====================
    Too true ...if you had fallen asleep Rip Van Winkle style and then awakened after 2 months it would simply be unbelievable ...these events are best viewed through the lens of a quasi religion than politics ; something like the'' independence mania'' that gripped much of Scotland exactly one year ago ..the voters in England who have abandoned critical thinking skills and are walking lockstep like a crowd of zombies behind the saintly Corbyn are the same folks who followed Sturgeon in Scotland last August ..just political munchkins on the yellow brick road to Independence/ utopia .and let's face it , Sturgeon and Corbyn are the single most over rated politicians in Britain today ; but now it's all too late , they have tuned out any rational criticism and are now flying on autopilot

We Brits cannot be too smug about the failures of the Greeks when in Corbyn /Sturgeon we have are own version of Syriza ...simply gormless beyond belief !

Turnip of the day award for this half witted drivel.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, but if he runs around advocating alliance with the SNP then that'll scare off more English voters.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Hmmm.

3 questions:

1 - How many of the "entryists" come from the SNP? I don't think that has been mentioned. They were willing to tell all those economic lies to their own supporters, so I can't see principles the SNP hasn't got stopping them. Will any data be published by Labour after the fact?

2 - What happens to "supporters" after the Corbyngasm. Are they just names on an email list with new politico-callers, or is it gouing to be turned into a continuing affiliation?

3 - How long do these new members stick around? I can recall Green palpitations about a loss of new members after 3 years when authorisation for auto-payments had to be renewed.

Another paranoid half wit. Why would the SNP care what donkey leads labour in London.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited August 2015
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW - great to have you back. I didn't get to say at the time but congratulations on getting the PM right. I've been following PB for about two years and when I first saw your ARSE I was sceptical, but by 21:50 on May 7th I'd come to the view that somehow Dave was going to win.

I do have one question, though. What surprised you more, how well the SNP did or how badly the Lib Dems did?

Much thanks.

A couple of aspects of the eventual results undercooked my ARSE.

In Scotland I expected a slightly better result for Labour and the LibDems, indeed the yellow peril held up much better in a number of seats but the SNP tsumani swept almost all before them.

What surprised, both me and senior Conservatives much more was how the spectre of the SNP played as extensively as it did in England - it effectively handed the Tories their majority nudging about two dozen Labour and LibDem seats into the blue column.

Sturgeon and Cameron - Unlikely partners but they danced a highly successful fandango.

Interesting - TSE promised us a full on review of Ashcroft's polling but I don't think we've seen it yet. You were always stressing the importance of naming candidates, do you think that in the end incumbency didn't help the Lib Dems at all, or that it did help them but just didn't make enough of a difference?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited August 2015

Roger said:

MM

'Almost' as in 'around'. I thought about 'almost a hundred and two ' years ago but it lacked bite!

Not content with mauling maths, you're now having a go at redefining English as she is spoken. Not a bad mornings work...!
    Not quite related, but have you ever read the legendary English as She Is Spoke, which begins with the following immortal words:
    'A CHOICE of familiar dialogues, clean of gallicisms, and despoiled phrases, it was missing yet to studious Portuguese and brazilian Youth; and also to persons of others nations, that wish to know the Portuguese language. We sought all we may do, to correct that want, composing and divising the present little work in two parts. The first includes a greatest vocabulary proper names by alphabetical order; and the second forty three Dialogues adapted to the usual precisions of the life. For that reason we did put, with a scrupulous exactness, a great variety own expressions to english and Portuguese idioms; without to attach us selves (as make some others) almost at a literal translation; translation what only will be for to accustom the Portuguese pupils, or-foreign, to speak very bad any of the mentioned idioms.'
    I wish I could think of something to add to @Financier's post, but it's so depressing I can't.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @blueliberal1: Don't worry if your results are bad, Jeremy Corbyn will reopen the mines
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    malcolmg said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

3 questions:

Another paranoid half wit. Why would the SNP care what donkey leads labour in London.
    So they can vote for the Labour leader most likely/willing to break up the union. Everyone knows Corbyn wants to give NI away so it seems quite a reasonable position.
    You're being short-sighted, the SNP have several plausible motives.
  • Options

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW - great to have you back. I didn't get to say at the time but congratulations on getting the PM right. I've been following PB for about two years and when I first saw your ARSE I was sceptical, but by 21:50 on May 7th I'd come to the view that somehow Dave was going to win.

I do have one question, though. What surprised you more, how well the SNP did or how badly the Lib Dems did?

Much thanks.

In Scotland I expected a slightly better result for Labour and the LibDems, indeed the yellow peril held up much better in a number of seats but the SNP tsumani swept almost all before them.

What surprised, both me and senior Conservatives much more was how the spectre of the SNP played as extensively as it did in England - it effectively handed the Tories their majority nudging about two dozen Labour and LibDem seats into the blue column.

Sturgeon and Cameron - Unlikely partners but they danced a highly successful fandango.

=======================

It didn't surprise me one bit ; I predicted a Tory majority on an almost daily routine from December onwards because I knew intuitively that folks in England would never take the risk of a weak Miliband being held to ransom by Lady Macbeth , regardless of what the polls said

Cameron was always going to win the most seats but it was the witless Sturgeon proudly boasting on live TV that she was going to ''lock the Tories out '' that spooked the centrist voters into the arms of the Tories ...the voters in England were not going to allow the odious SNP to pick their pockets for 5 long years, that's for sure !

Salmond "joking" that he was going to write Labour's Budget was a high point of hubris too.

That said, looking at his talent pool, Jeremy might be looking at outsourcing the Shadow Chancellor role....
    MM, Salmond said it very deliberately, it got exactly the result he wanted.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    The Tories only 3.1% behind Labour.

In Falkirk.

Hur hur hur......
  • Options
    OT What appalling jobsworths.
    Staying at wife's grave for too long costs widower £160
    Frank Blades hit with charge on top of £6,000 fee after spending 20 minutes at cemetery in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, after wife's burial
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11802449/Staying-at-wifes-grave-for-too-long-costs-widower-160.html
  • Options

Mr. G, remember Hubris and Nemesis. The Romans under Trajan probably couldn't imagine the following century would almost see the empire totally collapse.

Nothing lasts forever. Even the longest, the most glittering reign must come to an end someday.

MD , It does not need to last forever , only till after the next referendum, so not long at all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    malcolmg said:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

3 questions:

You may regard the risk of any London labour leader leading some kind of fightback as slight, and you may be right, but it is hardly inconceivable that some people would like to actively drive the stake further into the labour corpse, just in case, and take steps to undermine them yet further. I do not say that is happening, but in general the idea the SNP, or some of its supporters, would want to keep their feet on their opponents necks, is not entirely unreasonable.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

Good to see Cooper get off the fence. Should have done it ages ago.

Absolutely. At least a month ago. As I was commenting last night her delivery is woeful but in this field any sane party intent on actually having an impact on public policy to protect those in need would vote for her in a heartbeat.

She has probably left it too late though. And as for Burnham, words fail me. I will stick with utterly pathetic.
    Cooper polls far worse than Burnham, sometimes worse than Corbyn too
  • Options
    Financier said:

Financier said:

DavidL said:

Jonathan said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Len McCluskey has had a malign and pernicious effect on British public life. His destruction of the Labour party as an electable force in support of his frankly bizarre political views will be his crowning achievement.

Our democracy will not be the stronger for this idiocy but it will recover, eventually. The lessons of the 80s will have to be learned all over again.

Let us hope Len enjoys Labour's impending annihalations, beginning next year.

It just seems incredible to me when you see the battles that Labour went through under Kinnock against entryism, extremism and Militant that that muppet of a leader left the door so wide open to all and sundry to vote again and regain a position in the party. Ed, who of course was also some Union's choice, probably didn't even think carefully about what he was doing. After all, he rarely did.
    MPs had a veto, but didn't use it.
    Gross irresponsibility. Their job was to identify potential Prime Ministers who the PLP could support, who could build a credible team and who had a reasonable prospect of winning.

Labour is not supposed to be a debating club in need of a wider discussion, it is a political party and should be focussed on results so its beliefs can actually be implemented.
    Kendall was good on Today on R4; but not likely to get far. Pity, she is far better than Burnham and Cooper, and while Corbyn will be entertaining, it is a bit soon to throw in the towel for 2020. Corbyn may be the best choice for an LD revival though, even if no MPs defect, many voters will.
    I feel that Kendall is very good on a one-to-one basis or even with a small group. However, at present she seems to lack the stature that the job needs and could have done with better advisers. However, Labour was never going to listen to what it needed to hear - if John Cruddas had brought out his review a month or so earlier, then that was something on which she could have built.
    Liz is good in small groups and meetings, but never really fleshed out her platform aside from having a balanced budget as well as an emphasis on early years development. On other policies she had little to say. Still gets my first pref though.

I have only experience her at a smallish meeting and quite often on a on-to-one basis in relaxed surroundings. Somehow I feel she has not grown over the last couple of years.
    Bit too much personal information there F, what about her political attributes.
  • Options
    Mr. G, generations are short in Scotland, it seems.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

SO No is still narrowly ahead in indyref2 polls and outside London the other area Corbyn polls well is Scotland

Corbyn may win Labour a few more votes in Scotland, but that won't stop the Tories getting 40% in England in 2020 and, therefore, an overall majority. The SNP will use the 2021 Scottish election to get a direct mandate for IndyRef2, they'll receive it, Osborne will have to agree and Scotland will be independent by 2025.

I doubt another Islington muppet will make much inroads in Scotland, it has not stopped yet. Every result we see now has SNP rising, the Tory leader has scuttled off to Edinburgh and stolen someone's place to giver her a chance of a losers consolation seat just to stay in charge. As you say it is only a matter of time now, a one way street.

Denny & Banknock (Falkirk) result:
    SNP - 69.1% (+30.2)
    LAB - 14.7% (-15.9)
    CON - 11.6% (+7.9)
    GRN - 4.6% (+4.6)
    Corbyn is on +7% in Scotland with yougov -4% in England and Wales, he could get Labour to 30 to 35% in Scotland
    Dream on
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

It didn't surprise me one bit ; I predicted a Tory majority on an almost daily routine from December onwards because I knew intuitively that folks in England would never take the risk of a weak Miliband being held to ransom by Lady Macbeth , regardless of what the polls said

Cameron was always going to win the most seats but it was the witless Sturgeon proudly boasting on live TV that she was going to ''lock the Tories out '' that spooked the centrist voters into the arms of the Tories ...the voters in England were not going to allow the odious SNP to pick their pockets for 5 long years, that's for sure !

Salmond "joking" that he was going to write Labour's Budget was a high point of hubris too.

That said, looking at his talent pool, Jeremy might be looking at outsourcing the Shadow Chancellor role....
    You think Salmond wanted a Tory majority?
  • Options

Mr. G, generations are short in Scotland, it seems.

MD, very
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

I think he didn't mind either way. The SNP came out strong, the result of the others just affected the tactics to adopt post GE.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

The Tories only 3.1% behind Labour.

In Falkirk.

Hur hur hur......

Tories smirking at the respective performances of SCon & SLab rather suggest an old hooker crowing about their competitor on the opposite street corner getting the clap.

'Hurray, they've got gonorrhea.'

'But you've got syphilis.'

'No problem, they'll soon have that too.'
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn has set out his plan to contain and marginalise MPs who oppose his drive to make Labour more left-wing.

In the most detailed explanation to date of how he intends to run the party, the hard-left candidate said he was preparing to mobilise his new army of supporters by giving them many more votes on policy and party direction. According to a pamphlet for the Fabian Society to be published today, they would be pitted against the party’s representatives in Westminster, many of whom are hostile to his objectives.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4526813.ece
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

I do and I think Sturgeon also wanted it as well. It was the best possible option to ensure the next referendum and the correct result. Labour in power would have given them a great chance to comeback in Scotland, whereas illegitimate Tory rule by one useless dodo MP and a few enobled lackies , slashing and burning welfare and doing Scotland down is the perfect recipe for SNP and a disaster for any likely Labour fightback.
    They are now seen as the Tories little helpers.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Mr. Divvie, not really.

The Conservatives had a net loss of 0 in Scotland. Labour had a net loss of about 40.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

I think he didn't mind either way. The SNP came out strong, the result of the others just affected the tactics to adopt post GE.
    Never has such a thin majority looked so secure. The SNP neutered on the opposition benches, the LDs a rump of 8, the Kippers consisting of a single backbench rebel and Labour in a frenzy of onanism.

The country deserves a decent alternative, but it looks a decade away.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

Of course it did. Salmond wanted to be one of 56 impotent SNP MP's, as the Tories got on with governing without a care about what he says. Yep, that's exactly what he wanted.

"cuckoo"....
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Plato said:

Frank Blades hit with charge on top of £6,000 fee after spending 20 minutes at cemetery in Worksop, Nottinghamshire, after wife's burial
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11802449/Staying-at-wifes-grave-for-too-long-costs-widower-160.html

A bit too quick to condemn there, Plato! Reading the article, it appears that the charge for overtime arose from the impuntuality of the funeral company. Better to direct your scorn, on this occasion, onto the private sector.
  • Options

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

Never has such a thin majority looked so secure. The SNP neutered on the opposition benches, the LDs a rump of 8, the Kippers consisting of a single backbench rebel and Labour in a frenzy of onanism.

The country deserves a decent alternative, but it looks a decade away.
    This is probably the low point for anti Tories. It cannot last, not with that majority. Surely.

Mr. Divvie, not really.

The Conservatives had a net loss of 0 in Scotland. Labour had a net loss of about 40.

I was hoping the Tories would win a second Scottish seat - that would been hilarious.
  • Options
    We may be about to see something even more remarkable than Comrade Corbyn at PMQs - the sight of the Tory benches hooting and waving order papers when the LotO stands up to speak, whilst his own side observes stony silence.
    Scott_P said:

Jeremy Corbyn has set out his plan to contain and marginalise MPs who oppose his drive to make Labour more left-wing.

In the most detailed explanation to date of how he intends to run the party, the hard-left candidate said he was preparing to mobilise his new army of supporters by giving them many more votes on policy and party direction. According to a pamphlet for the Fabian Society to be published today, they would be pitted against the party’s representatives in Westminster, many of whom are hostile to his objectives.

• Options

malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

Of course it did. Salmond wanted to be one of 56 impotent SNP MP's, as the Tories got on with governing without a care about what he says. Yep, that's exactly what he wanted.

"cuckoo"....

Salmond wants independence. Like Sturgeon he understands the quickest way to get it is having Tory governments in Westminster.

• Options
    Mr. kle4, greed is a sin.

The Conservatives won a shock majority, Labour were crushed, the Lib Dems swept away to the verge of oblivion, and UKIP went backwards. Whilst the Conservatives having more Scottish seats than Labour would've amused, I don't think the blues have much room for complaint regarding how the year's gone so far.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited August 2015
    Scott_P said:

The new Corbyn policymaking machinery.

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vo041dmd.jpg
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

Interesting - TSE promised us a full on review of Ashcroft's polling but I don't think we've seen it yet. You were always stressing the importance of naming candidates, do you think that in the end incumbency didn't help the Lib Dems at all, or that it did help them but just didn't make enough of a difference?
    I confess to not reading PB as assiduously as one should whilst away .... a shocking admission I know !! .... so I can't comment on whether TSE has undertaken an Ashcroft review.

As for the fortunes of the LibDems and naming candidates it's clear to me a better forecast is likely but the inability of the LibDems to break 8% will clearly counter most incumbency bonuses.

On a personal level I was saddened to see some highly effective LibDems MP's lose - Lynn Featherstone, Andrew George, Danny Alexander and especially Steve Webb.

I would have preferred a continuance of the Coalition - it was a rather decent stab at coalition politics but nobody said the voters had to be grateful to the yellow peril for their part in bringing the nation back from the brink.

• Options
    Plato said:

We may be about to see something even more remarkable than Comrade Corbyn at PMQs - the sight of the Tory benches hooting and waving order papers when the LotO stands up to speak, whilst his own side observes stony silence.

That presupposes MPs currently sitting as Labour on the opposition benches are in fact "his own side"

If he actually moves to prevent Labour MPs running the party I expect he will find there are many fewer of them left
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    IA

"Shakespeare couldn't spell. And for Good Queen Bess, the Queen's English varied from day to day."

Reminds me of a nice story a cleric told on the radio the other day.

He was helping his daughter with her philosophy homework when a text arrived from his wife which said "What do you want from life?"

They then discussed this at some length until his wife arrived home. "That was a very interesting question you texted" said the Vicar.

"Well why didn't you answer it?" said his wife

" It's not the sort of question than can be answered in a text" Said the vicar

"Really? What do you want from Lidl?"

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Mr. W, the Lib Dems have only themselves to blame. The tuition fees three-way split was ridiculous, and you can't spend years attacking evil Conservatives then trying to claim credit for policies enacted by a government with a Conservative major partner.

Edited extra bit: that said, the Coalition was generally effective, and far better than the nightmare scenario of Brown remaining as PM.
  • Options

Salmond wants independence. Like Sturgeon he understands the quickest way to get it is having Tory governments in Westminster.

Except that is probably not true. With the UK economy booming under a Tory chancellor, and the oil price collapsing, the Scots are not stupid enough to vote for penury, even if Nicola is.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
  • Options
    That feels rather sinister having read the whole piece. He wants to annex Labour in favour of his own supporters.

That we've seen vocal calls for deselecting non-Corbyn MPs - it looks really quite ugly and exclusive. No broad church there - just a single religion.
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    MattW said:

Scott_P said:

The new Corbyn policymaking machinery.

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vo041dmd.jpg

Surely more:
    http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01292/spanish_inq_1292561b.jpg
  • Options
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

On a personal level I was saddened to see some highly effective LibDems MP's lose - Lynn Featherstone, Andrew George, Danny Alexander and especially Steve Webb.
    I would have preferred a continuance of the Coalition - it was a rather decent stab at coalition politics but nobody said the voters had to be grateful to the yellow peril for their part in bringing the nation back from the brink.
    JackW you old wet. I am very glad to see the back of a socialist such as Andrew George.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Plato said:

That feels rather sinister having read the whole piece. He wants to annex Labour in favour of his own supporters.

That we've seen vocal calls for deselecting non-Corbyn MPs - it looks really quite ugly and exclusive. No broad church there - just a single religion.

Scott_P said:

Indeed, this isn't about winning the next election, it's about reforming the labour party, and burying and spitting on the grave of New Labour.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

I confess to not reading PB as assiduously as one should whilst away .... a shocking admission I know !! .... so I can't comment on whether TSE has undertaken an Ashcroft review.

As for the fortunes of the LibDems and naming candidates it's clear to me a better forecast is likely but the inability of the LibDems to break 8% will clearly counter most incumbency bonuses.

I did wonder if you were expecting the Lib Dems to do better overall rather than for some them to get more MPs for the same share of the vote.

Personally I am happy that the Tories got a majority rather than a continuation of the coalition - but that's simply because I think the Lib Dems would have blocked the EU referendum. I tend to agree that most of them were inoffensive and probably did deserve more credit, but stunts like the yellow budget box didn't do much their credibility.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Well, we had Communist MPs until 1950, perhaps he's been reading his copy of the Little Red Book! (his personal gift from Chairman Mao)
    Plato said:

Scott_P said:

• Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Moderate Labour MPs fear they will be “purged” from the party by “aggressive factional nutters” around Jeremy Corbyn if he is successful in his bid to win the party’s leadership. Senior figures in the parliamentary party told The Independent that there is growing concern that Corbyn supporters will use “trigger ballots” in Labour seats across the country to eject MPs considered to be too right-wing.
    The same way IndyRef2 impatient SNP MSPs are being deselected. No dissent will be tolerated.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, but if he runs around advocating alliance with the SNP then that'll scare off more English voters.

Corbyn will do badly in England outside London anyway, he will do better in Scotland
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Today -The ladies go moaning to the press, Burnham is silent, Corbyn holds a rally Glasgow.

And the ABCs wonder why they are failing so miserably.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Will purging mean that they will be sent down the mines - we do still have salt mines - or replace the immigrants working on the fruit and veg fields in Lincolnshire?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

The Conservatives won a shock majority, Labour were crushed, the Lib Dems swept away to the verge of oblivion, and UKIP went backwards. Whilst the Conservatives having more Scottish seats than Labour would've amused, I don't think the blues have much room for complaint regarding how the year's gone so far.

All this, Mr Dancer, when the Conservatives could not even muster 25% of the electorate to support them! You must believe that there is a God in Heaven, and that he is a Tory!

(...) and you can't spend years attacking evil Conservatives then trying to claim credit for policies enacted by a government with a Conservative major partner.
    Edited extra bit: that said, the Coalition was generally effective, and far better than the nightmare scenario of Brown remaining as PM.

The Lib Dems´ problem was that they spent far too long being nice to the Conservatives within the Coalition Government, and not making it clear to the electorate which policies came originally from which party. That said, thank you for your "that said" addendum - the Coalition Government would have been even more effective if Cameron could have kept his own backbencers under control.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Will purging mean that they will be sent down the mines - we do still have salt mines

Corbyn will reopen them...
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited August 2015
    Apropos Theresa Jowell's witterings a couple of days ago about the "are you beach body ready?" advert and her attempt in passing to reduce the nett fitness and health of the nation. Which party had the following in a recent manifesto
    Help protect children and young people from developing negative
    body images by regulating airbrushing in adverts.
    and how does one regulate airbrushing, its almost as incoherent as Cameron's internet policies.
  • Options
    Mr. Clipp, you mean when the Conservatives won a greater share of the vote than any party since 2001.

The Lib Dems tried to have the authority of government and the luxury of opposition. They got neither. You can't differentiate from a government you're part of then expect to claim credit for its work.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Look this Labour party takeover all very normal and capitalist.

An enterprise had a period of popularity after the war, bumbled along for a few decades on the back of it, got revamped by a new CEO for a brief renaissance but his modus operandi caught up with him and then under a series of very average management teams has drifted towards irrelevance.

Now another enterprise (the hard left) which has capital but not the distribution networks is looking to aggressively take over and use what's left of the brand to sell their downmarket tat.

Won't end well - see Woolworths - but one or two people will do well out of the interim.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,267
    antifrank said:

Meanwhile, you can still back Jeremy Corbyn at 1.38 on Betfair.

Crazy.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    OT:
    On the subject of the oil price collapsing, this report assesses the impact on UK Trade and doesn't even consider a scenario below $50 oil.
    http://www.pwc.co.uk/en_uk/uk/assets/pdf/ukeo-oil-prices-march-2015.pdf
    Clearly the supply glut is worse than many could have ever anticipated (even as recent as march this year) and could have potentially severe geopolitical consequences. Especially if it is a sustained low price.
  • Options

Mr. W, the Lib Dems have only themselves to blame. The tuition fees three-way split was ridiculous, and you can't spend years attacking evil Conservatives then trying to claim credit for policies enacted by a government with a Conservative major partner.

Being an absolute arse over tuition fess never hurt the Labour party and I think to a large degree it was a useful peg for many soft LibDems who appeared horrified that the LibDems ventured into national government of any kind.

I disagree about the stoutness of the LibDems within the Coalition. Many commentators didn't expect it to last five months let alone five years and for two diverse parties to largely rub along for a full term was quite an achievement. Even St Vince of the Cable and the Very Reverend Simon Hughes stayed on board.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    TGOHF said:

Won't end well - see Woolworths - but one or two people will do well out of the interim.

Any everytime a member of the board suggested a revamp, or using some of the better bits of the program that caused the renaissance, the shareholders all started to ask if they really were directors of Argos.

• Options
    Mr. Indigo, if fit and healthy bodies are unacceptable, is she proposing we only have the unhealthily under/over-weight photographed in adverts, or that the human form becomes forbidden in ads?

It still amuses me that absolutely no-one gives a shit about Captain Sixpack in the Beach Body Ready ad, but Blonde Bikini Girl is apparently outrageous.
  • Options

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

JackW you old wet. I am very glad to see the back of a socialist such as Andrew George.
    I fear you might consider Genghis Khan somewhat damp and liable to dangerous liberal tendencies.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    The local elections in 2016 and 17 will be interesting if JC wins.
  • Options
    Mr. W, but Labour was a unified arse. The Lib Dems were an arse splitting in three. And that's painful.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

odious SNP to pick their pockets for 5 long years, that's for sure !

"cuckoo"....

Scotland will only get independence on the back of a Westminster-sanctioned second referendum. That is now not happening this side of 2020, and with Corbyn leading Labour, probably not until 2025 or 2030. By which time, the gilt will have long flaked off those statues of Salmond and Sturgeon.

If there had been minority Govt. of whatever hue, the preening and pontificating Salmond would never have been off our TV screens, as he went about securing that second referendum by 2020 as his "price". And yes, the Scots can bitch and moan about how their voice is excluded from the Westminster process. With as much right as Mancs and Scousers and Geordies. That is what happens when you keep voting for the losing side....
  • Options
    @davieclegg: Labour leader candidate Jeremy Corbyn: There's shouldn't be another independence referendum
    http://t.co/Q0XeJ370j0
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Except that is probably not true. With the UK economy booming under a Tory chancellor, and the oil price collapsing, the Scots are not stupid enough to vote for penury, even if Nicola is.
    Whit a weaselly, wee 'probably' from a plastic Jock. No even the courage of his own convictions. Unsurprisingly.
  • Options
    Red Len is getting his money's worth here. He wrote his own entryism manifesto a few years ago - and lo it comes to pass.

Plato said:

Scott_P said:

Indeed, this isn't about winning the next election, it's about reforming the labour party, and burying and spitting on the grave of New Labour.

• Options

malcolmg said:

Cromwell said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

=======================

"cuckoo"....
    LOL, typical Tory, you think it would make a difference if the Tory Lites were in power , the numbers are stacked against SNP no matter which Tory party is in power, much better when the English only one is in power though, from the SNP's viewpoint at least. More impact to Scotland being screwed over by them rather than the Lite version.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    USA: Latest poll in NH has Hillary trailing Sanders.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Mr. Clipp, you mean when the Conservatives won a greater share of the vote than any party since 2001.

The Lib Dems tried to have the authority of government and the luxury of opposition. They got neither. You can't differentiate from a government you're part of then expect to claim credit for its work.

Are you saying that coalitions will never work? Surely a coalition implies give and take and compromise and why shouldn't a member party of that coalition get credit for the policies it gets through?
  • Options

Mr. Divvie, not really.

If the SCons are still coming behind a SLab candidate revealed as a sectarian bigot and disowned by his own party, I think they need some stronger antibiotics for their little problem.
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, I do wonder what happens, though, if the SNP win an outright majority in Holyrood with an explicit manifesto commitment to seeking a second referendum, which is then passed by the Scottish Parliament.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

JackW said:

tlg86 said:

Much thanks.

I did wonder if you were expecting the Lib Dems to do better overall rather than for some them to get more MPs for the same share of the vote.

Personally I am happy that the Tories got a majority rather than a continuation of the coalition - but that's simply because I think the Lib Dems would have blocked the EU referendum. I tend to agree that most of them were inoffensive and probably did deserve more credit, but stunts like the yellow budget box didn't do much their credibility.
    By polling day I was receiving intel from nervous LibDems that they weren't bringing home the bacon as they expecting but the scale of some of the losses surprised even the pessimists.

I think the LibDems reluctance on the EU referendum was a bargaining chip that they would have willingly cashed in.

...........................................................................................

Laters ....

• Options
    Scott_P said:

the only thing booming is you
  • Options
    I experienced something similar.

About 6 weeks ago, I and my sons went to plant flowers on my parent's grave which we do twice yearly, as my mother had requested before she died. (it does have under-sown bulbs for the Spring). However whilst the village church still has a healthy congregation, the care of its large and historic churchyard has been taken over by the LA.

We were approached by a council workman, who questioned what we were doing. The council had removed the watering cans from near the outside tap and had removed the bin for dead flowers. He said that the churchyard was now public property and we could not change its appearance. So we took his identity and the next week I had a very 'interesting' conversation with the chair of the council on the rights of grave-owners.
    Plato said:

• Options
    Very good.

That Burnham is now being called a Tory is just fabulous. The staffers at the Guardian must be wondering WTF is going on. CiFers are about to take over Labour.
    Indigo said:

TGOHF said:

Any everytime a member of the board suggested a revamp, or using some of the better bits of the program that caused the renaissance, the shareholders all started to ask if they really were directors of Argos.

• Options
    Mr. Financier, that's utterly crackers.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

OT:
    On the subject of the oil price collapsing, this report assesses the impact on UK Trade and doesn't even consider a scenario below $50 oil.
    Clearly the supply glut is worse than many could have ever anticipated (even as recent as march this year) and could have potentially severe geopolitical consequences. Especially if it is a sustained low price.

Enjoy filling up the gas guzzlers while we can then
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Its taken a while but I think the penny is beginning to drop - Len and the mob DON'T CARE THAT JC CANT WIN...

• Options
    edited August 2015

Are you saying that coalitions will never work? Surely a coalition implies give and take and compromise and why shouldn't a member party of that coalition get credit for the policies it gets through?
    Yes, but the give and take should be in the country's best interest and not geared to the best interest of any political party. Well that is the theory anyway. It is when there is fighting on policy inside the coalition that trouble starts - often for the party that started the trouble.
  • Options
    @JohnnyCov: POLITE LEFTY UPROAR CLAXON http://t.co/rFGWeDIJOT via @katsladden
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2015
    Scott_P said:

A petition to put the loonatics in charge of the asylum. - a peak Guardian moment :lol:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Scott_P said:

@davieclegg: Labour leader candidate Jeremy Corbyn: There's shouldn't be another independence referendum

Interesting article.
    RodCrosby said:
    Doubt it. The trigger ballots have been around for years and only involve full members. In practice it's extremely difficult to persuade members to remove the familiar local MP as candidate, even when as in some cases there was quite a good reason to consider it.

The policy-making issue is more real - Corbyn clearly intends to democratise the process with more meaningful consultations, which will be popular with members but will add delay. I'm not sure that MPs feel that they are especially involved themselves at present though - sadly, the normal way as an MP for finding out about a new policy that the leader had thought up was reading about it in the Guardian.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Oh, UKIP going bakwards and the LDs being swept away were not things that I personally wanted, so I think seeing the Tories be the second party of Scotland was a reasonable ask from me, if not from Tories (as you say, it's been a great few months). Come on, Scotland, you cannot tell me having that Tory 'surge' would not have been so perfect.
    Scott_P said:

Maybe so, but there will be.
    PClipp said:

All this, Mr Dancer, when the Conservatives could not even muster 25% of the electorate to support them! You must believe that there is a God in Heaven, and that he is a Tory!.
    Or at the least is a committed supporter of FPTP.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

I said yesterday if Corbyn wins the rules for the next leadership election could be very different. What will stop Corbyn or his supporters undoing much of the reform of the Labour Party to stack the cards in their favour?
  • Options
    That's really rather quaint. I don't think I've ever seen a petition to make a newspaper change its own opinion.
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    edited August 2015

Mr. Mark, I do wonder what happens, though, if the SNP win an outright majority in Holyrood with an explicit manifesto commitment to seeking a second referendum, which is then passed by the Scottish Parliament.

The Westminster Govt. - elected across the UK with a majority - can rightly ignore it.

Of course, Scotland could try UDI....It would have no legitimacy, would raise no money on the markets and would be spurned by the EU, with countries such as Spain having no truck with it. Within weeks, they'd be sending begging letters to Greece.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Jeremy Corbyn is O.V.A.H. now that he's come out against a new independence referendum -

@IssyFlamel

.@JohnRentoul @MichaelPDeacon peak Toryism has arrived! Now #corbyn's just another true blue Thatcher lover #labour

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMWnYQ0WsAAXSQu.jpg
  • Options

.. it would be *slightly* more persuasive than Derbyshire declaring itself a Nuclear Free Zone, or Utah declaring that the moon belongs to Joseph Smith, but not very much.

Ultra Vires.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Indigo said:

Apropos Theresa Jowell's witterings a couple of days ago about the "are you beach body ready?" advert and her attempt in passing to reduce the nett fitness and health of the nation. Which party had the following in a recent manifesto

Help protect children and young people from developing negative
    body images by regulating airbrushing in adverts.
    and how does one regulate airbrushing, its almost as incoherent as Cameron's internet policies.

It'll end with all beautiful and/or slim people wearing burkas or paper bag + fat suits.

I can't believe what a whiny, over-sensitive population we're breeding in these isles. Clearly a sign that I'm growing old :).

On topic, with the ashes secured, Corbyn to be anointed loony-in-chief of Labour, all I really want now is another indyref (but a successful one this time) and I can die happy.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

OT:

We have most of the oil majors (and minors) as clients, but as the low price of oil affects their profits, also it is putting pressure on our cash flow. They are holding back on many new explorations or field developments, unless political pressure obliges them to progress in fear of losing field rights. Also many new oil deposits are in more remote locations which ups the cost of E & P.

Another consequence of this low price is that it puts pressure on the economic competitiveness of renewable energy.
  • Options
    Mr. M, I agree, and I'm not old.
  • Options
    I did wonder if the nonsense of ostentatiously pointless XYZ Is A Nuclear Free Zone signs would reappear under Corbynism.

They remain one of my favourite bits of 80s virtue parading.
    MattW said:

.. it would be *slightly* more persuasive than Derbyshire declaring itself a Nuclear Free Zone, or Utah declaring that the moon belongs to Joseph Smith, but not very much.

Ultra Vires.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    TGOHF said:

Its taken a while but I think the penny is beginning to drop - Len and the mob DON'T CARE THAT JC CANT WIN...

Oh but he can! One just has to wait patiently for the electorate to slip free from their chains of false consciousness.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    glw said:

I said yesterday if Corbyn wins the rules for the next leadership election could be very different. What will stop Corbyn or his supporters undoing much of the reform of the Labour Party to stack the cards in their favour?
    What will stop any leader doing the same thing? What might have (but did not) stop previous leaders doing so? Leaders of both main parties.
  • Options
    Plato said:

That's really rather quaint. I don't think I've ever seen a petition to make a newspaper change its own opinion.

Scott_P said:

Honestly, if they dislike the editorial stance that much, they can start their own paper like the Nats.

• Options
    Plato said:

Scott_P said:

Of course, they could take the very capitalist path - and stop buying it....

I am looking forward to the point when the Lefty gobshites break into various factions, each decrying the other as Tories.

Then we will all be Tories....
  • Options
    Plato said:

I did wonder if the nonsense of ostentatiously pointless XYZ Is A Nuclear Free Zone signs would reappear under Corbynism.

They remain one of my favourite bits of 80s virtue parading.

MattW said:

Ultra Vires.
    They will become Austerity Free Zones....
  • Options
    Plato said:

Scott_P said:

Signed and tweeted. You know you want to.

Now off to do something useful.