Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Revised analysis of YouGov’s LAB selectorate poll has Corby

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Plato said:

I did wonder if the nonsense of ostentatiously pointless XYZ Is A Nuclear Free Zone signs would reappear under Corbynism.

They remain one of my favourite bits of 80s virtue parading.

MattW said:

Mr. Mark, I do wonder what happens, though, if the SNP win an outright majority in Holyrood with an explicit manifesto commitment to seeking a second referendum, which is then passed by the Scottish Parliament.

.. it would be *slightly* more persuasive than Derbyshire declaring itself a Nuclear Free Zone, or Utah declaring that the moon belongs to Joseph Smith, but not very much.

Ultra Vires.
    They will become Austerity Free Zones....
    Israel-free zones if some of Jez's friends have their way too.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Slackbladder, reminiscent of Galloway's desire for Bradford.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    John_M said:

TGOHF said:

Its taken a while but I think the penny is beginning to drop - Len and the mob DON'T CARE THAT JC CANT WIN...

Oh but he can! One just has to wait patiently for the electorate to slip free from their chains of false consciousness.
    That's the real fear: he might win. Look at the SNP, or Ken and Boris in London, or across the Atlantic at President Obama and Donald Trump. Positive messages attract voters and enthuse supporters. Bland platitudes fashioned into sterile sound-bites by focus group-led triangulators do not.
  • Options
    Mr. L, I'm not convinced there's a desire to spend hundred of billions nationalising badgers and spending money left, right and centre.

Who did the voters trust on the economy a few months ago?
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    PClipp said:

All this, Mr Dancer, when the Conservatives could not even muster 25% of the electorate to support them! You must believe that there is a God in Heaven, and that he is a Tory!

Not a Tory, PClipp - but she is English, certainly.
    Compare and contrast,
    Alastair Campbell : "we don't do God".
    God : "We don't do politics"
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    John_M said:

Indigo said:

Apropos Theresa Jowell's witterings a couple of days ago about the "are you beach body ready?" advert and her attempt in passing to reduce the nett fitness and health of the nation. Which party had the following in a recent manifesto

Help protect children and young people from developing negative
    body images by regulating airbrushing in adverts.
    and how does one regulate airbrushing, its almost as incoherent as Cameron's internet policies.
    It'll end with all beautiful and/or slim people wearing burkas or paper bag + fat suits.

I can't believe what a whiny, over-sensitive population we're breeding in these isles. Clearly a sign that I'm growing old :).

On topic, with the ashes secured, Corbyn to be anointed loony-in-chief of Labour, all I really want now is another indyref (but a successful one this time) and I can die happy.

It is really an extension of the policy of being prosecuted if you speak your mind on certain matters. Also that you can get fined by councils/schools etc if you infringe their own manufactured policy. So in such an environment, there is a subtle pressure to report others - so you almost protect yourself and build up brownie points with the 'authorities'.

Reminds me so much of the time that I spent in East Germany. I would like to see a return to the times when only only magistrates could impose a fine and laws were tighter and more transparent.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Financier said:

I experienced something similar.

About 6 weeks ago, I and my sons went to plant flowers on my parent's grave which we do twice yearly, as my mother had requested before she died. (it does have under-sown bulbs for the Spring). However whilst the village church still has a healthy congregation, the care of its large and historic churchyard has been taken over by the LA.

We were approached by a council workman, who questioned what we were doing. The council had removed the watering cans from near the outside tap and had removed the bin for dead flowers. He said that the churchyard was now public property and we could not change its appearance. So we took his identity and the next week I had a very 'interesting' conversation with the chair of the council on the rights of grave-owners.

When I was on the PCC of a small village church in Herefordshire a few years back, this subject came up. Apparently, when a ground is 'closed' for new burials (i.e. can't take any more) its care and maintenance is automatically transferred to the relevant LA, whatever the status of the church. Although our graveyard was full, and there was a new graveyard (across the road) we decided not to hand it over to the LA precisely because they were such a shockingly lazy and inept bunch of jobsworths who couldn't be bothered to cut the grass properly, and the churchwarden felt he would rather give up one afternoon a month to look after it himself.

So the church in question may have missed a trick there by declaring it closed - but if they had no alternative graveyard, they may not have had a choice.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited August 2015
    @rosschawkins: Breaking - Burnham tells me - My critique is that his (Corbyn's) plans lack financial and economic credibility

@rosschawkins: Yesterday Burnham said those attacking Corbyn were misreading the mood of the party
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Plato said:

That feels rather sinister having read the whole piece. He wants to annex Labour in favour of his own supporters.

That we've seen vocal calls for deselecting non-Corbyn MPs - it looks really quite ugly and exclusive. No broad church there - just a single religion.

Scott_P said:

Jeremy Corbyn has set out his plan to contain and marginalise MPs who oppose his drive to make Labour more left-wing.

In the most detailed explanation to date of how he intends to run the party, the hard-left candidate said he was preparing to mobilise his new army of supporters by giving them many more votes on policy and party direction. According to a pamphlet for the Fabian Society to be published today, they would be pitted against the party’s representatives in Westminster, many of whom are hostile to his objectives.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4526813.ece

It doesn't sound especially sinister to me. The MPs who have aligned themselves with the New Labour concept can't really expect to carry on as if nothing has happened. The whole USP of New Labour was electability. If you fail to get win an election twice, what is exactly is the point?

Indeed I'll go further. The new Labour Party structure has opened up participation in the party. At the moment Corbyn is the only one in a position to take advantage of it - given his peculiar situation having distanced himself from the leadership but having a lot of links with people in the party as a result of decades of campaigning on just about everything. The shear numbers signing up mean they simply can't all be left wing purists.

I think clearing out a bit of dead wood and starting afresh is exactly what Labour needs to do. The far left will do better out of this than their numbers merit initially, but a big problem in politics is the people who have 30 years in the Commons followed by another 30 in the Lords and who simply go to seed. If the Labour Party breaks with that, that will be a good thing.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited August 2015
    I'm sick to death of people pulling the 25% (or less) figure as if registered voters who don't vote matter.
    If you don't vote - you don't matter.
    And I'm not even a tory.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@rosschawkins: Breaking - Burnham tells me - My critique is that his (Corbyn's) plans lack financial and economic credibility

@rosschawkins: Yesterday Burnham said those attacking Corbyn were misreading the mood of the party

Explosive.....that's blown the campaign wide open now.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Financier said:

Pauly said:

OT:
    On the subject of the oil price collapsing, this report assesses the impact on UK Trade and doesn't even consider a scenario below $50 oil.
    http://www.pwc.co.uk/en_uk/uk/assets/pdf/ukeo-oil-prices-march-2015.pdf
    Clearly the supply glut is worse than many could have ever anticipated (even as recent as march this year) and could have potentially severe geopolitical consequences. Especially if it is a sustained low price.

We have most of the oil majors (and minors) as clients, but as the low price of oil affects their profits, also it is putting pressure on our cash flow. They are holding back on many new explorations or field developments, unless political pressure obliges them to progress in fear of losing field rights. Also many new oil deposits are in more remote locations which ups the cost of E & P.

Another consequence of this low price is that it puts pressure on the economic competitiveness of renewable energy.
    If there is too much oil then there is too much oil and thus no need at the moment to go wasting money exploring for more. When supply becomes more limited then the explorations will start as the price rises again. People need to live with these awkward facts of life.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    malcolmg said:

I do and I think Sturgeon also wanted it as well. It was the best possible option to ensure the next referendum and the correct result. Labour in power would have given them a great chance to comeback in Scotland, whereas illegitimate Tory rule by one useless dodo MP and a few enobled lackies , slashing and burning welfare and doing Scotland down is the perfect recipe for SNP and a disaster for any likely Labour fightback.
    They are now seen as the Tories little helpers.

An interesting post MalcolmG, but it leaves one potentially very awkward question unanswered. If you are right, does that not mean that Nicola Sturgeon perjured herself when she denied to the electoral court over the Nikileaks farce that she wanted a Tory majority?

Because if she did, does not rather ease the pressure on Alistair Carmichael, bearing in mind that the key plank of the SNP thrust against him was not the impropriety of the leak itself (which was improper and which he has admitted was improper) but that the information was forged (which incidentally it does not appear to have been, or at least, not deliberately) and place it fairly and squarely on her instead?

I thought at the time she was at least most unwise to deny what as you say is politically obvious...but until now I hadn't come across any SNP activist willing to come out and make that direct claim.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

The one time favourite, Andy Burnham is turning out to be an unprincipled slime ball.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    So much for the MSM not going for Corbyn - the Daily Telegraph in particular seems intent on destroying him. As far as I can tell Corbyn barley mentions his competitors and certainly isn't wasting much of his time responding to Labour Party "grandees" who are carpet bombing the MSM and Twitter with their attacks. It will be interesting to see upcoming polls on Corbyn's electability, now that he is the clear frontrunner - my sense is a number of folks could be in for a rude awakening.

On the face of it Corbyn seems to have established an SNP like anti-establishment movement from within the Labour party - without anyone noticing and it's only taken him a month. The parallels between the rise of Corbyn and the SNP are interesting:

- Establishment gnashing and wailing - for this purpose the ABC candidates are establishment figures.
    - MSM demonization by virtually every single political commentator.
    - Corbyn BAD being roared on Twitter by all and sundry.
    - Constant harping back to the past for glimmers of hope which might explain away Corbynisim.

Should Corbyn win how many Labour MPs will seek to defect or set up a new party? - very few would have the guts to go as they would come under immediate pressure to stand down and face a bi election and would quite likely lose. So for all of the Labour establishment MPs bluster amplified by their MSM buddies, I think they would just retreat to the backbenches and start planning their futures outside of politics.
  • Options
    Mr. P, there's a difference between attacking someone's policies and their characters, though.

Feels most peculiar to defend Burnham.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited August 2015
    The venom against anyone seen to deviate from Jezziah's teachings is really rather WTF.

It's all so hate filled. The Left is infamous for its ability to factionise - but this descent into name-calling is remarkably quick.

As that Indy piece noted, it may not be Jezza who wants this - but his disciples are in full throat and almost out of control. He's no Sturgeon either when it comes to using force of personality to say Pack It In.

And I can't see Red Len stopping it either - his chief of staff is apparently a member of CPGB.

Plato said:

That's really rather quaint. I don't think I've ever seen a petition to make a newspaper change its own opinion.

Scott_P said:

@JohnnyCov: POLITE LEFTY UPROAR CLAXON http://t.co/rFGWeDIJOT via @katsladden

Of course, they could take the very capitalist path - and stop buying it....

I am looking forward to the point when the Lefty gobshites break into various factions, each decrying the other as Tories.

Then we will all be Tories....
  • Options

Financier said:

Pauly said:

OT:
    On the subject of the oil price collapsing, this report assesses the impact on UK Trade and doesn't even consider a scenario below $50 oil.
    http://www.pwc.co.uk/en_uk/uk/assets/pdf/ukeo-oil-prices-march-2015.pdf
    Clearly the supply glut is worse than many could have ever anticipated (even as recent as march this year) and could have potentially severe geopolitical consequences. Especially if it is a sustained low price.

We have most of the oil majors (and minors) as clients, but as the low price of oil affects their profits, also it is putting pressure on our cash flow. They are holding back on many new explorations or field developments, unless political pressure obliges them to progress in fear of losing field rights. Also many new oil deposits are in more remote locations which ups the cost of E & P.

Another consequence of this low price is that it puts pressure on the economic competitiveness of renewable energy.
    If there is too much oil then there is too much oil and thus no need at the moment to go wasting money exploring for more. When supply becomes more limited then the explorations will start as the price rises again. People need to live with these awkward facts of life.
    Yes but a lot of new oil is in developing countries who want it exploited to generate revenue for their country. Also you have the case of the Arctic with Russia wanting to claim as much as it can - it would be quite difficult to remove a Russian oil rig.
  • Options
    calum said:

The parallels between the rise of Corbyn and the SNP are interesting:

Both are at their core protest movements, completely unequipped for the harsh realities of Government
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Pauly said:

I'm sick to death of people pulling the 25% (or less) figure as if registered voters who don't vote matter.
    And I'm not even a tory.

Ah, but what if they vote next time? That's what happened in Scotland.
  • Options
    YouGov are going to feel sicker than a cyclist with piles if Corbyn doesn't win.
  • Options

Mr. P, there's a difference between attacking someone's policies and their characters, though.

Feels most peculiar to defend Burnham.

Lloyd George once criticised the Baldwin government of 1923-4 for being composed of people who had only 'second class intellects.'

Baldwin's retort was, 'I would prefer to have a second class intellect than a second class character.'

The problem with Burnham is he appears to have both.
  • Options
    Mr. Doethur, bit cruel to the second class.

Mr. Eagles, it'll be a hat banquet.
  • Options

YouGov are going to feel sicker than a cyclist with piles if Corbyn doesn't win.

You wonder how frantically the bookies who took bets on him at 100/1 must be working to lay him right now...
  • Options

Pauly said:

And I'm not even a tory.

Ah wise one, you are indeed correct. My main gripe is when people use it to question the electoral legitimacy however, which is a different context.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Plato said:

The venom against anyone seen to deviate from Jezziah's teachings is really rather WTF.

It's all so hate filled. The Left is infamous for its ability to factionise - but this descent into name-calling is remarkably quick.

Mind you I am enjoying seeing people who regularly demonise Tories receiving the same treatment from what is supposed to be their own side.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,642
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

I do and I think Sturgeon also wanted it as well. It was the best possible option to ensure the next referendum and the correct result. Labour in power would have given them a great chance to comeback in Scotland, whereas illegitimate Tory rule by one useless dodo MP and a few enobled lackies , slashing and burning welfare and doing Scotland down is the perfect recipe for SNP and a disaster for any likely Labour fightback.
    They are now seen as the Tories little helpers.

An interesting post MalcolmG, but it leaves one potentially very awkward question unanswered. If you are right, does that not mean that Nicola Sturgeon perjured herself when she denied to the electoral court over the Nikileaks farce that she wanted a Tory majority?

Because if she did, does not rather ease the pressure on Alistair Carmichael, bearing in mind that the key plank of the SNP thrust against him was not the impropriety of the leak itself (which was improper and which he has admitted was improper) but that the information was forged (which incidentally it does not appear to have been, or at least, not deliberately) and place it fairly and squarely on her instead?

I thought at the time she was at least most unwise to deny what as you say is politically obvious...but until now I hadn't come across any SNP activist willing to come out and make that direct claim.
    Wasn't the denial that she said it to the French ambassador? It's easy enough to believe she did want a Tory majority (or didn't mind), but even if that was the case, would she say it to that person, and so was the claim of her saying it in that context true?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Andy Burnham can attack Corbyn because it's not an "attack" it's a "critique". If there's one thing I've learnt during this contest it's that Burnham is the most greasy politician of all four on offer. He twists and turns depending on the dynamic of the day, with blatant disregard for what he's said earlier, even in the very same campaign.
  • Options
    Listened yesterday tea-time, to Corbyn emphasising that criticising opponents in not his methodology - he only focuses on policies. Hm, if you remove your opponents by some form of disqualification/not adhering to certain rules, then you have no need to criticise them - a bit like a return to Militant or those UK Communist parties.
  • Options

Pauly said:

And I'm not even a tory.

Was turnout in Scotland massively above rUK? I believe it was 5% higher or so? That could make a difference in many places, no question. Relying on it happening is risky though.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826

Mr. kle4, greed is a sin.

The Conservatives won a shock majority, Labour were crushed, the Lib Dems swept away to the verge of oblivion, and UKIP went backwards. Whilst the Conservatives having more Scottish seats than Labour would've amused, I don't think the blues have much room for complaint regarding how the year's gone so far.

Especially in your constituency.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Wasn't the denial that she said it to the French ambassador? It's easy enough to believe she did want a Tory majority (or didn't mind), but even if that was the case, would she say it to that person, and so was the claim of her saying it in that context true?

My memory is that she denied both, along the lines of 'I didn't say that to the ambassador, because it isn't true, I do not want a Tory majority.'

As I say, I thought that was rather a reckless thing to say. But I could have misunderstood - I was very busy at the time and didn't have a lot of chance to investigate in depth.
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, a resounding victory of democratic wisdom :D

The leadership contest could be going very differently if Balls had held his seat.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

She has to deny saying she wanted a Tory Government because she was busy telling the zoomers they would "lock the Tories out"
  • Options
    JEO said:

Andy Burnham can attack Corbyn because it's not an "attack" it's a "critique". If there's one thing I've learnt during this contest it's that Burnham is the most greasy politician of all four on offer. He twists and turns depending on the dynamic of the day, with blatant disregard for what he's said earlier, even in the very same campaign.

The Shadow Cabinet Minister who said Andy Burnham is Ed Miliband with a Scouse accent got it spot on
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

My memory is that she denied both, along the lines of 'I didn't say that to the ambassador, because it isn't true, I do not want a Tory majority.'

As I say, I thought that was rather a reckless thing to say. But I could have misunderstood - I was very busy at the time and didn't have a lot of chance to investigate in depth.
    I think that she could easily hold both views. As an individual, she probably doesn't want a Tory majority as it is far away from her ideal 'socialist' approach to Government. Equally, it is almost certainly the most helpful thing for her party in the short term.
  • Options
    Plato said:

As that Indy piece noted, it may not be Jezza who wants this - but his disciples are in full throat and almost out of control. He's no Sturgeon either when it comes to using force of personality to say Pack It In.

And I can't see Red Len stopping it either - his chief of staff is apparently a member of CPGB.

Plato said:

That's really rather quaint. I don't think I've ever seen a petition to make a newspaper change its own opinion.

Scott_P said:

I am looking forward to the point when the Lefty gobshites break into various factions, each decrying the other as Tories.

The name calling is interesting really. It is certainly true that some people might support Tory policies until they find out it is a Tory policy, and the reverse is true as well - some people will support an idea until they find out it is a Labour idea (or perhaps criticise it until it is also adopted by the Tories). However, there doesn't seem the same level of automatic name calling for the 'wrong' side - that is, for some people, anyone saying something they don't like is labelled a Tory (as we've just seen, even JC is not immune), showing that for those people, Tory just means bad, it isn't an ideology or party. So it's curious that although there are people with similar tendencies on the other side, there isn't a single label that is automatically thrown out. I know some people use socialist as that label, but it doesn't seem as prevalent, I think as a 'scary' label it is not as potent as it once was.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,729

JEO said:

The Shadow Cabinet Minister who said Andy Burnham is Ed Miliband with a Scouse accent got it spot on
    I think that's harsh on Ed Miliband. At least he had some semblance of backbone. (cf taking on his brother)
  • Options

JEO said:

You clearly undervalue the greatest accent on the planet. It appeals well with the female demographic ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    This is why I am not always that comfortable with Right to Buy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/right-to-buy-40-of-homes-sold-under-government-scheme-are-being-let-out-privately-10454796.html

I'm all for helping working class people buy their own homes, but we have a problem that many of the people with council houses are actually very wealthy because no-one is ever kicked out of a council home. They then benefit from a government give away, where a small minority get effectively given tens of thousands pounds by the taxpayer.

I would much prefer a system where wealthy council house tenants don't qualify for renewals, and sell-offs are done on the open market. Revenue raised can then be used for all first time buyers of limited means to get a discount, regardless of whether they are lucky enough to have had a grandparent in a council house.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Would like to see this happen but doubt it will.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

As an individual, she probably doesn't want a Tory majority as it is far away from her ideal 'socialist' approach to Government. Equally, it is almost certainly the most helpful thing for her party in the short term.

Which, again according to a very skimpy reading of the reports, is exactly what she was accused of saying and denied having said because she would never think it.

Of course, MalcolmG is not Nicola Sturgeon, so it's hardly a smoking gun. But it would be embarrassing for the SNP were evidence in support of his views to be uncovered.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

A bit like John Hutton on Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

JEO said:

I think that's harsh on Ed Miliband. At least he had some semblance of backbone. (cf taking on his brother)
    Nah. He stabbed his brother in the back which allowed the Tories to paint him as untrustworthy.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

JEO said:

You clearly undervalue the greatest accent on the planet. It appeals well with the female demographic ;)
    I don't undervalue the Yorkshire accent
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    kle4 said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Scott_P said:

The name calling is interesting really. It is certainly true that some people might support Tory policies until they find out it is a Tory policy, and the reverse is true as well - some people will support an idea until they find out it is a Labour idea (or perhaps criticise it until it is also adopted by the Tories). However, there doesn't seem the same level of automatic name calling for the 'wrong' side - that is, for some people, anyone saying something they don't like is labelled a Tory (as we've just seen, even JC is not immune), showing that for those people, Tory just means bad, it isn't an ideology or party. So it's curious that although there are people with similar tendencies on the other side, there isn't a single label that is automatically thrown out. I know some people use socialist as that label, but it doesn't seem as prevalent, I think as a 'scary' label it is not as potent as it once was.
    Eddie Mair once stitched up Ming Campbell by reeling off half a dozen policies, and when he said, yes, he agreed with them, was told they were all BNP policies!
  • Options
    The New Puritism emanating from Corbynistas will provide great entertainment for those of us BBQing babies this Bank Holiday.

For fellow Labourites who knocked on doors only three months ago - it must be coming as quite a shock.

I'm trying to recall if Blairites/New Labour tried to deselect political rivals? I can't think of any examples.

Removing team mates who disagree the moment you get your mitts on the tiller, seems rather unattractive and fundamentalist. First they came for the Blairites...
    glw said:

Plato said:

Mind you I am enjoying seeing people who regularly demonise Tories receiving the same treatment from what is supposed to be their own side.
  • Options
    Totally OT

We have just been awarded a contract with UK RWEnpower - when upon reading the fine print found that all invoices have to be sent to Poland!!
  • Options
    Plato said:

The New Puritism emanating from Corbynistas will provide great entertainment for those of us BBQing babies this Bank Holiday.

For fellow Labourites who knocked on doors only three months ago - it must be coming as quite a shock.

I'm trying to recall if Blairites/New Labour tried to deselect political rivals? I can't think of any examples.

Removing team mates who disagree the moment you get your mitts on the tiller, seems rather unattractive and fundamentalist. First they came for the Blairites...

glw said:

Plato said:

Ken Livingstone and Rhodri Morgan were both blocked from running for the leadership of London and Welsh Labour respectively, although that's not quite a deselection.

Appallingly inept politics though.
  • Options
    No Jews and no Blarites in the Corbyn Labour new Jerusalem.
  • Options
    Well quite - or you turn a blind eye to those who do it for you.
    Financier said:

Listened yesterday tea-time, to Corbyn emphasising that criticising opponents in not his methodology - he only focuses on policies. Hm, if you remove your opponents by some form of disqualification/not adhering to certain rules, then you have no need to criticise them - a bit like a return to Militant or those UK Communist parties.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

The leadership contest could be going very differently if Balls had held his seat.

You mean Yvette would be looking even more miserable?

"But it was MY turn. You PROMISED...."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Pauly said:

JEO said:

Primrose Hill Drone? Don't forget Ed's conquests..
  • Options
    Which fork would you use?

Mr. Doethur, bit cruel to the second class.

Mr. Eagles, it'll be a hat banquet.

• Options
    and then for the ex-Blairites - clearly Plato you are in line for a re-education course somewhere on a cold and remote island - your name must be on the list!!
    Plato said:

glw said:

Plato said:

• Options
    Mr. Financier, that seems odd. Any special reason why?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

I'm still waiting to find out if I've made it past Hattie's thought crime police ;)
  • Options
    @patrickwintour: Conservative Home back Yvette Cooper "In the absence of anyone else, she will have to do". Great campaign slogan. http://t.co/IoASUrUNLJ
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Good Lord, every time I think that Andy Burnham can't sink lower in this leadership contest he limbos under the bar.
  • Options
    JEO said:

This is why I am not always that comfortable with Right to Buy:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/right-to-buy-40-of-homes-sold-under-government-scheme-are-being-let-out-privately-10454796.html

I'm all for helping working class people buy their own homes, but we have a problem that many of the people with council houses are actually very wealthy because no-one is ever kicked out of a council home. They then benefit from a government give away, where a small minority get effectively given tens of thousands pounds by the taxpayer.

I would much prefer a system where wealthy council house tenants don't qualify for renewals, and sell-offs are done on the open market. Revenue raised can then be used for all first time buyers of limited means to get a discount, regardless of whether they are lucky enough to have had a grandparent in a council house.

It'll happen all over again with housing association properties.

Most EU immigrants don't get close to council houses; instead they rent rooms in former council houses now owned by buy-to-let landlords. That's certainly the story across London.

• Options

Yvette was never going to win.

The country and party would never elect someone who has in all likelihood fellated Ed Balls.

And on that note, goodbye.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Good Lord, every time I think that Andy Burnham can't sink lower in this leadership contest he limbos under the bar.

A new career for when he comes last in six weeks' time? :lol:
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: A better argument against Corbyn than any of the actual candidates have managed so far… http://t.co/sWrBaJox41
  • Options
    Mr. Antifrank, perhaps he should embark upon a new career as a limbo dancer?
  • Options

Yvette was never going to win.

The country and party would never elect someone who has in all likelihood fellated Ed Balls.

And on that note, goodbye.
    Please leave the mind disinfectant, Mr Eagles...
  • Options

Mr. Financier, that seems odd. Any special reason why?

Can only presume that accounting costs are far lower in Poland but with good staff.
  • Options
    Neo-liberal is another isult - I've no idea what one is. We had IIRC a bit of debate about its meaning here the other week.

I still don't know. I see from Phil Collins in The Times that he's also in the dark.
    kle4 said:

Plato said:

Plato said:

Scott_P said:

• Options
    edited August 2015

Isn't one of the holocaust deniers he's accused of associating with Jewish?
  • Options
    Is this a good photo-op, or a bacon sarny moment?

@LizforLeader: #tourgb #teamliz 1st stop Manchester http://t.co/yjCwtkTCga
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm still waiting to find out if I've made it past Hattie's thought crime police ;)
    No chance - just waiting for a vacancy on her mind-changing course.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

(Phrase copyright Gordon Brown, c. 2003.)
  • Options
    Mr. Financier, lower costs in Poland are one theory I've heard for why The Witcher 3, made by a relatively small studio, is a triple A, top class game.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited August 2015
    Janner fails to show at Westminster Mags Court. Defence arguing he would be prepared to appear by live video link. Magistrates refuse, and suggest proceedings are moved to Wood Green...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    calum said:

On the face of it Corbyn seems to have established an SNP like anti-establishment movement from within the Labour party - without anyone noticing and it's only taken him a month. The parallels between the rise of Corbyn and the SNP are interesting:

- Establishment gnashing and wailing - for this purpose the ABC candidates are establishment figures.
    - Constant harping back to the past for glimmers of hope which might explain away Corbynisim.

Perceptive post. The Corbyn insurrection is remarkably like the SNP, Syriza, Podemos and (to a lesser extent) Sanders surges - they all reflect a sense of "At last there's a chance to break from the deadly consensus of despair." It is not entirely a left-wing thing, which should give the Tories pause as they celebrate - just as UKIP started on the far right but started to appeal to WWC voters, this sort of anti-establishment campaign appeals across the spectrum merely by its flavour.

Corbyn makes a good ambassador for it, because he's not a ranter like Scargill and seems devoid of personal ambition and greed (another common feature with e.g. Tsipras, who still benefits hugely from not being part of the comfortable and in Greece even corrupt old elite). But it's not primarily about him, which is why criticisms that he once was polite about Gerry Adams etc. miss the mark.

The main reason why I'm personally being swayed is that I think this needs to be allowed to play itself out - a result where Cooper won with 51% after transfers from everyone in the ABC spectrum would be profoundly unsatisfactory. Just as the SNP surge will show whether there are practical limits to Scottish nationalism, the Corbyn surge will show what can be achieved from a populist left movement. It's not what Labour has in recent years been about, but really the problem about Labour in recent years (since ca. 2005) is that we haven't been about very much in particular, except being anti-Tory and vaguely benevolent.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    There is no doubt there are some very powerful people behind Jeremy Corbyn and in some respect he is just a "front man."

Andy Burnham has been a Blairite, Brownite and now appears to be a Corbynite.

Yvette Cooper just leaves me cold. I hate it when women play the "feminist card." I also think it is counterproductive.

Liz Kendall is a complete lightweight. She has no "presence" and looks and sounds like a "Head Prefect." I could can't imagine her taking on David Cameron at PMQ's.

The real story is nonce-finder general, Brownite/Unite thug, Tom Watson. I don't know how long JC will last but I expect Tom Watson will become Labour leader before the next election. Mr McCluskey will then have complete control and what's left of the Labour party.

The tories would be completely mad to underestimate what is going on.

I found it all fascinating at first, but now I am getting completely bored with the whole thing. It seems to have been going on forever. There are so many other important stories out there, that are not getting any attention.

• Options
    This is laughable. The BBC is claiming an advert for the BBC counts as "journalism, art or literature" and therefore do not have to reveal its cost:

http://order-order.com/2015/08/11/bbc-uses-echr-to-block-release-of-spin-bill/
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    I got into an argument with someone over neo-liberal. I merely asked them to define it. If its a government, how can we tell? Put some numbers onto it, so we can look at a country and make a judgment based on facts.

That seemed to make them angrier.
  • Options
    Congrats!
    Financier said:

Totally OT

We have just been awarded a contract with UK RWEnpower - when upon reading the fine print found that all invoices have to be sent to Poland!!

• Options
    Labour will be submitting its “resignation letter to the British people as a serious party of government” if it elects Jeremy Corbyn as leader, Liz Kendall said on Friday.

Kendall, in an interview on the BBC argued that Corbyn – the leftwinger who has become the surprise runaway favourite in the party’s election – was advocating policies that would lead to certain electoral defeat for Labour.

“He [Corbyn] is not offering anything new. His programme isn’t new, it’s exactly the same as it was in the 1980s and we’ll get the same result,” said Kendall, who is seen as the most Blairite of the four leadership contenders and on course to come last, according to the polls.

“I don’t want to see Labour submit our resignation letter to the British people as a serious party of government.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/14/liz-kendall-choosing-jeremy-corbyn-labours-resignation-letter
  • Options
    Mr. Paris, do not question the Corbynite creed!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Liz for Leader bounce.

Highlight of her campaign so far TBH
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited August 2015
    RodCrosby said:

Janner fails to show at Westminster Mags Court. Defence arguing he would be prepared to appear by live video link. Magistrates refuse, and suggest proceedings are moved to Wood Green...

I'm glad about that. This court process seems to me to be highly abusive.

I believe that most of Europe has statutes of limitations on alleged offences that are 30 or 50 years old - for good reasons.

But I'm not sure if it is a good thing for him personally, though.

The 'authorities' seem committed to their chosen path.

@Ms Plato

On planet leftist Neoliberals are where the Reds used to be under the bed.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited August 2015

calum said:

Perceptive post. The Corbyn insurrection is remarkably like the SNP, Syriza, Podemos and (to a lesser extent) Sanders surges - they all reflect a sense of "At last there's a chance to break from the deadly consensus of despair." It is not entirely a left-wing thing, which should give the Tories pause as they celebrate - just as UKIP started on the far right but started to appeal to WWC voters, this sort of anti-establishment campaign appeals across the spectrum merely by its flavour.

Corbyn makes a good ambassador for it, because he's not a ranter like Scargill and seems devoid of personal ambition and greed (another common feature with e.g. Tsipras, who still benefits hugely from not being part of the comfortable and in Greece even corrupt old elite). But it's not primarily about him, which is why criticisms that he once was polite about Gerry Adams etc. miss the mark.

The main reason why I'm personally being swayed is that I think this needs to be allowed to play itself out - a result where Cooper won with 51% after transfers from everyone in the ABC spectrum would be profoundly unsatisfactory. Just as the SNP surge will show whether there are practical limits to Scottish nationalism, the Corbyn surge will show what can be achieved from a populist left movement. It's not what Labour has in recent years been about, but really the problem about Labour in recent years (since ca. 2005) is that we haven't been about very much in particular, except being anti-Tory and vaguely benevolent.

Yep, let's experiment with a leader who consorts with anti-semites and terrorists, who has no concept of loyalty, believes in printing money to fund infrastructure projects, wants to reopen mines and whose prominent supporters want to purge dissenting voices from the party. Not sure how that can possibly go wrong if you're not bothered about perpetual Tory rule.

Breathtaking self-indulgence.

• Options

I agree
  • Options
    Re Ken, I thought it was so funny that Jack Straw claimed it was *Tony* Ken should thank.

IIRC After being thrown out of Labour, Ken ran as an indy - won and then Tony said he should come back to Labour after all.

Didn't know about Morgan - he always seemed a very sensible sort of chap.
    ydoethur said:

Plato said:

glw said:

Plato said:

Ken Livingstone and Rhodri Morgan were both blocked from running for the leadership of London and Welsh Labour respectively, although that's not quite a deselection.

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited August 2015
    Two questions you'd know more about than me, Nick:

I can't imagine deselections of existing MPs are very likely, though of course many unhappy with the direction of the party might simply stand down. But should Labour do well at the next election (a clear possibility under any leader, should the EU referendum derail the Tory party) then there will be a wave of new MPs.

(1) If the mood of the party membership, given its new composition, has now swung to the left, is it likely that a lot of the new PPCs are going to be rather to the left of the current parliamentary party? I think candidates competing for a PPC position are going to inclined to at least sound a bit leftier to their constituency parties than they would have done last parliament.

(2) Labour's central apparatus has long been influential in finding a seat for its favoured sons and daughters (ex-spads etc). How much would a new leader (or for that matter, new deputy leader) be able to influence that process to get some fellow-travellers into parliament?

Scott_P said:

@davieclegg: Labour leader candidate Jeremy Corbyn: There's shouldn't be another independence referendum
    http://t.co/Q0XeJ370j0

Interesting article.
    RodCrosby said:
    Doubt it. The trigger ballots have been around for years and only involve full members. In practice it's extremely difficult to persuade members to remove the familiar local MP as candidate, even when as in some cases there was quite a good reason to consider it.

The policy-making issue is more real - Corbyn clearly intends to democratise the process with more meaningful consultations, which will be popular with members but will add delay. I'm not sure that MPs feel that they are especially involved themselves at present though - sadly, the normal way as an MP for finding out about a new policy that the leader had thought up was reading about it in the Guardian.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The Liz for Leader bounce.

Highlight of her campaign so far TBH
    More a dead cat bounce.....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161

calum said:

Where does this leave the average anti-Tory voter while the Labour party 'plays out' this surge? LibDems revival?
  • Options
    Nick P said, "but really the problem about Labour in recent years (since ca. 2005) is that we haven't been about very much in particular, except being anti-Tory and vaguely benevolent."

The main tragedy for the 3 amigos (or not very amigo) is that they do not seem to have moved on from there. Whereas Corbyn has released lots of policies in a very friendly and non-confrontational manner - with people pleased to see a positive approach - not realising where it might lead. After all Hitler built the autobahns and Mussolini made the trains run on time.
  • Options
    We're all going to Hell. At least the weather will be warm down there... no need for a Corbyn hairshirt.
    Financier said:

and then for the ex-Blairites - clearly Plato you are in line for a re-education course somewhere on a cold and remote island - your name must be on the list!!

Plato said:

glw said:

Plato said:

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    RodCrosby said:

What is the normal procedure for someone who is unfit to stand trial? Do they have to appear in court at least once. I can't help feeling that the DPP is compensating massively for past failures in this case.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

It's your party so you're entitled to do what you like.

But you're making a serious mistake if you believe this. Neither the Conservatives nor the newspapers have got started on this. The general public (as opposed to the Labour party electorate) haven't picked up too much about Jeremy Corbyn. And he has so much history that can be drip fed to the public in bite-sized portions.

Don't you worry that your opponents are so quiet right now? They're staying quiet for a very good reason.

It's all a bit reminiscent of Neville Chamberlain boasting that Mr Hitler missed the bus.
  • Options

The moment that the New Labour leadership realised it had lost control of the party.

When Corbyn becomes Labour leader, and moves to restrict the influence of the 90% of the PLP who don't support him, what's to stop them forming New Labour and leaving Corbyn and his fellow travellers behind (with the unions)?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

What is the normal procedure for someone who is unfit to stand trial? Do they have to appear in court at least once. I can't help feeling that the DPP is compensating massively for past failures in this case.
    He should be arrested immediately.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Re Ken, I thought it was so funny that Jack Straw claimed it was *Tony* Ken should thank.

IIRC After being thrown out of Labour, Ken ran as an indy - won and then Tony said he should come back to Labour after all.

Didn't know about Morgan - he always seemed a very sensible sort of chap.

ydoethur said:

Plato said:

glw said:

Plato said:

Morgan's main claim to fame was being turning up late when the Queen opened the Royal Welsh Show on year.
  • Options
    The final tweet is spot on.
    Scott_P said:

@GuidoFawkes: A better argument against Corbyn than any of the actual candidates have managed so far… http://t.co/sWrBaJox41

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

He should be arrested immediately.
    I'm not sure that answers my question ;)
  • Options
    antifrank said:

It's your party so you're entitled to do what you like.

But you're making a serious mistake if you believe this. Neither the Conservatives nor the newspapers have got started on this. The general public (as opposed to the Labour party electorate) haven't picked up too much about Jeremy Corbyn. And he has so much history that can be drip fed to the public in bite-sized portions.

Don't you worry that your opponents are so quiet right now? They're staying quiet for a very good reason.

It's all a bit reminiscent of Neville Chamberlain boasting that Mr Hitler missed the bus.

I imagine Nick's self-delusion is exquisite from a Tory perspective.

• Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    I think most of the political commentators just produce "clickbait" articles about the SNP/Scotland and now Corbyn - with eye catching headlines and often contradictory content - in an average day the SNP can be described as a Cult, a fascist party, ultra left wing, centre left, socialist, nationalist, tartan Tories, a chameleon party, anti-austerity, austerity-lite etc. Corbyn is now being subject to the same approach, sadly the commentators have not learned any lessons from the SNP's rise and are just going to drive forward Corbynisim.

During GE2015 the main message from the SNP from day one of the campaign was, vote SNP to ensure Scotland's interests are best protected at Westminster - deluded fools many on this site believe we are - but it really was that simple. I know the commentators need to come out with pseudo intellectual sounding articles to try and explain the rise of the SNP, these guys are just trying to earn a crust. A typical example from Kenny this morning - more stupid voters drivel:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/article4527184.ece