Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Revised analysis of YouGov’s LAB selectorate poll has Corby

Comments

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

antifrank said:

Corbyn makes a good ambassador for it, because he's not a ranter like Scargill and seems devoid of personal ambition and greed (another common feature with e.g. Tsipras, who still benefits hugely from not being part of the comfortable and in Greece even corrupt old elite). But it's not primarily about him, which is why criticisms that he once was polite about Gerry Adams etc. miss the mark.

It's your party so you're entitled to do what you like.

But you're making a serious mistake if you believe this. Neither the Conservatives nor the newspapers have got started on this. The general public (as opposed to the Labour party electorate) haven't picked up too much about Jeremy Corbyn. And he has so much history that can be drip fed to the public in bite-sized portions.

Don't you worry that your opponents are so quiet right now? They're staying quiet for a very good reason.

It's all a bit reminiscent of Neville Chamberlain boasting that Mr Hitler missed the bus.

I imagine Nick's self-delusion is exquisite from a Tory perspective.

Oh yes.......
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited August 2015
    Q2 GDP results show the EU limping along (annualised):

Germany: 1.6%
    France: 0.0%
    Italy: 0.8%
    Eurozone: 1.2%
    EU: 1.6%

UK: 2.8%
    USA: 2.4%

The economic case for the EU weakens a lot when the European single market is getting smaller relative to the UK economy every year, while the non-European market gets bigger and bigger.

We really need those trade deals with Canada and the US to go through. Strangely, there seems to be no urgency on the EU side despite economic stagnation.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Scott_P said:

The moment that the New Labour leadership realised it had lost control of the party.

When Corbyn becomes Labour leader, and moves to restrict the influence of the 90% of the PLP who don't support him, what's to stop them forming New Labour and leaving Corbyn and his fellow travellers behind (with the unions)?
    1. Funding.
    2. Activist support
    3. The chances of them keeping their seats as New SDP is next to nil, even if Burnham or Cooper or whoever still ended as LotO.

A formal split will only come if the left moves first; the right won't jump (as in the early '80s; it was the introduction of mandatory re-selection that was the final straw for the SDP to break away).
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    calum said:

During GE2015 the main message from the SNP from day one of the campaign was, vote SNP to ensure Scotland's interests are best protected at Westminster

..and the actual effect of the campaign was the lowest level of Scottish influence at Westminster in living memory (or longer)

Genius.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    That's rather good - shame it's three weeks too late.
    Scott_P said:

Labour will be submitting its “resignation letter to the British people as a serious party of government” if it elects Jeremy Corbyn as leader, Liz Kendall said on Friday.

Kendall, in an interview on the BBC argued that Corbyn – the leftwinger who has become the surprise runaway favourite in the party’s election – was advocating policies that would lead to certain electoral defeat for Labour.

“He [Corbyn] is not offering anything new. His programme isn’t new, it’s exactly the same as it was in the 1980s and we’ll get the same result,” said Kendall, who is seen as the most Blairite of the four leadership contenders and on course to come last, according to the polls.

“I don’t want to see Labour submit our resignation letter to the British people as a serious party of government.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/14/liz-kendall-choosing-jeremy-corbyn-labours-resignation-letter

• Options
    Scott_P said:

The moment that the New Labour leadership realised it had lost control of the party.

When Corbyn becomes Labour leader, and moves to restrict the influence of the 90% of the PLP who don't support him, what's to stop them forming New Labour and leaving Corbyn and his fellow travellers behind (with the unions)?

A dream scenario. And I imagine such a party would raise a fair bit of cash. But Labour MPs are very loyal to Labour, the Red Tory jibes notwithstanding.

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Janner fails to show at Westminster Mags Court. Defence arguing he would be prepared to appear by live video link. Magistrates refuse, and suggest proceedings are moved to Wood Green...

What is the normal procedure for someone who is unfit to stand trial? Do they have to appear in court at least once. I can't help feeling that the DPP is compensating massively for past failures in this case.
    He should be arrested immediately.
    I'm not sure that answers my question ;)
    I'm not sure how the numbers stack up, but the CPS will make a decision whether to drop charges or to call a trial of the facts. In Janner's case they are pursuing the latter, so yes, he does have to turn up - even though he can't be found guilty.
  • Options

1. Funding.
    2. Activist support
    3. The chances of them keeping their seats as New SDP is next to nil, even if Burnham or Cooper or whoever still ended as LotO.

A formal split will only come if the left moves first; the right won't jump (as in the early '80s; it was the introduction of mandatory re-selection that was the final straw for the SDP to break away).

I agree SDP mark 2 has limited appeal, but that is why the branding is important.

Labour hasn't won a general election in decades. New Labour won 3

New Labour mark 2 would have brand appeal. The Blairites could argue they were elected on a more Blairite manifesto than Corbyn is now advocating so they don't need elected again.

Funding for Corbyn is already being called into question. New Labour would attract some Blairite donors
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Plato said:

The New Puritism emanating from Corbynistas will provide great entertainment for those of us BBQing babies this Bank Holiday.

For fellow Labourites who knocked on doors only three months ago - it must be coming as quite a shock.

I'm trying to recall if Blairites/New Labour tried to deselect political rivals? I can't think of any examples.

Removing team mates who disagree the moment you get your mitts on the tiller, seems rather unattractive and fundamentalist. First they came for the Blairites...

glw said:

Plato said:

The venom against anyone seen to deviate from Jezziah's teachings is really rather WTF.

It's all so hate filled. The Left is infamous for its ability to factionise - but this descent into name-calling is remarkably quick.

Mind you I am enjoying seeing people who regularly demonise Tories receiving the same treatment from what is supposed to be their own side.
    Excuse me, I only steam babies thesedays. It's healthier.
    Scott_P said:

@patrickwintour: Conservative Home back Yvette Cooper "In the absence of anyone else, she will have to do". Great campaign slogan. http://t.co/IoASUrUNLJ

Better than that image of her face with 'rubbish' in big letters next to it from her campaign apparently (from her speech, supposedly, calling something else rubbish, but only that word was really large and noticable)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    I don't understand why Kendall hasn't just given up and thrown her lot in with one of the other candidates. It would save her blushes and (marginally) help with the 'stop Corbyn' effort.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    JEO said:

The economic case for the EU weakens a lot when the European single market is getting smaller relative to the UK economy every year, while the non-European market gets bigger and bigger.

We really need those trade deals with Canada and the US to go through. Strangely, there seems to be no urgency on the EU side despite economic stagnation.

Thank you for this. Do you have the balance of trade figures for the UK and the EU and the UK and the rest of the world? I'd be interested to see them but I don't know where to look for them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

I don't understand why Kendall hasn't just given up and thrown her lot in with one of the other candidates. It would save her blushes and (marginally) help with the 'stop Corbyn' effort.

She can't pull out now, ballot papers are on their way. She's asked her supporters to use the AV system this morning.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Have you read the content of TTIP? I'll be quite honest, I haven't. But I'm very confused that people seem to be advocating it without reading the big print, let alone the fine print.

• Options
    shadsyshadsy Posts: 289
    Ladbrokes
    Corbyn 1st Pref Vote Share
    12/1 Under 40%
    11/4 40-50%
    6/4 50-60%
    11/4 60-70%
    6/1 Over 70%
  • Options
    "Is Corbynmania a threat to Jowell?

It would seem a bit odd for Labour activist to fill in one ballot paper for Corbyn and then a few seconds later fill in another one for Jowell. Even if they had written off the 2020 General Election but felt they were in with a shout of capturing City Hall it is hard to make sense of it. Then again, trying to apply the sense of Labour Party members in order to formulate a prediction strikes me as imprudent."

http://www.conservativehome.com/localgovernment/2015/08/is-corbynmania-a-threat-to-dame-tessa.html
  • Options

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Janner fails to show at Westminster Mags Court. Defence arguing he would be prepared to appear by live video link. Magistrates refuse, and suggest proceedings are moved to Wood Green...

What is the normal procedure for someone who is unfit to stand trial? Do they have to appear in court at least once. I can't help feeling that the DPP is compensating massively for past failures in this case.
    I'm not sure how the numbers stack up, but the CPS will make a decision whether to drop charges or to call a trial of the facts. In Janner's case they are pursuing the latter, so yes, he does have to turn up - even though he can't be found guilty.
    Can't he be arrested for failing to attend court though ?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    And with the boundary changes coming up - it'll be a field day for Corbynistas across the country to select their latest UNITE candidate.

Lenny has already caused this to happen in several constituences by packing the membership with his drones. There was a great Labour UnCut article about this - I'll see if I can find it. Falkirk was just a screw up that came to light.
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Ta. How common are trial of the facts?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    ydoethur said:

JEO said:

Thank you for this. Do you have the balance of trade figures for the UK and the EU and the UK and the rest of the world? I'd be interested to see them but I don't know where to look for them.
    Will this do?

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/balance-of-trade

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/euro-area/balance-of-trade

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/balance-of-trade
  • Options

JEO said:

Have you read the content of TTIP? I'll be quite honest, I haven't. But I'm very confused that people seem to be advocating it without reading the big print, let alone the fine print.

I have read most of the reports, yes. Obviously the treaty itself has not been released yet.
  • Options
    A major and very important difference between the SNP and Corbyn Labour is that the SNP has a flag to wave and does so enthusiastically.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:

Is this a good photo-op, or a bacon sarny moment?

@LizforLeader: #tourgb #teamliz 1st stop Manchester http://t.co/yjCwtkTCga

She looks to be having more fun than the other candidates!
  • Options

A major and very important difference between the SNP and Corbyn Labour is that the SNP has a flag to wave and does so enthusiastically.

Red linen sales set to skyrocket shortly.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

Brilliant - except the union donations are the only thing keeping the Labour party afloat.
  • Options
    Not very generous on over 70%, which would a political sensation.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Doesn't look as though they happen very often, although it was used not that long ago for our old friend Margaret Moran MP of dry rot fame. About 15-16 times a year is suggested as an average.

Some information on what they are and why they happen here (you need to scroll down to 'Fitness to Plead'):

http://www.jaapl.org/content/34/4/466.full
  • Options

Labour will have their Red flag soon!
  • Options

The people's flag is deepest red...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

JEO said:

Will this do?

Thank you yes, that answers a few questions. Bit concerning that we have imbalances with China and Germany the wrong way, while we have surpluses with such mighty economies as Ireland and the UAE (and the USA, of course).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited August 2015
    Further for Ms Plato, here's Paul Mason's definition of Neoliberalism from his new book (via a comment on Richard Mutphy's site):

"By neoliberalism I mean the global capitalist system shaped around a core of neoliberal practices and institutions , themselves guided by a widespread and spontaneously reproduced ideology, and ruled by an elite which acts in a neoliberal way, whatever conflicting and moderating ideas it holds in its head - See more at: http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/08/10/paul-mason-postcapitalism-my-book-of-the-year-so-far/
    "

Yep. These Leftists certainly know what they are talking about. I haven't read the context in the book.
  • Options

Though Andrew Burnham flinch and the voters sneer...
  • Options
    I profoundly disagree with this 'what's the point of sticking with our principles if we don't win power' nonsense. The point it you represent the democratic wishes of your supporters, and if you stand by that and fail to convince enough people, you lose, and simply use whatever numbers your support has given you to make your case in parliament.

The other two alternatives are:
    -You dissemble, appear to represent a more 'moderate' view, but sneak your policies in when you win, or
    -You abandon your principles to gain power

The first is fundamentally undemocratic, and the second is an entirely pointless exercise whose only benefit is to get the trappings of office.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited August 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

An expense-fiddler MP was treated similarly...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136072/Depressed-suicidal-MP-Margaret-Moran-fit-stand-trial-80-000-expense-fiddling-charges.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Can't he be arrested for failing to attend court though ?
    Yes, he can. Trails of the facts are ordinary criminal proceedings with respect to procedure and evidence.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Rare, but not unheard of. However, very few are reported, if they get that far at all. I suspect most are the subject of agreement over the nature of the charges, agreement on the facts, etc.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Doesn't look as though they happen very often, although it was used not that long ago for our old friend Margaret Moran MP of dry rot fame. About 15-16 times a year is suggested as an average.

Some information on what they are and why they happen here (you need to scroll down to 'Fitness to Plead'):

Thanks for the link. If I'm reading this correctly, it used to be the case that being found unfit for trial meant the court assumed you had committed the crime!
  • Options
    MattW said:

Further for Ms Plato, here's Paul Mason's definition of Neoliberalism from his new book (via a comment on Richard Mutphy's site):

"By neoliberalism I mean the global capitalist system shaped around a core of neoliberal practices and institutions , themselves guided by a widespread and spontaneously reproduced ideology, and ruled by an elite which acts in a neoliberal way, whatever conflicting and moderating ideas it holds in its head - See more at: http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/08/10/paul-mason-postcapitalism-my-book-of-the-year-so-far/
    "

Yep. These Leftists certainly know what they are talking about. I haven't read the context in the book.

So neoliberalism is correctly defined as er, neoliberalism. It's wot it is, that's wot it is, innit?

You can tell he used to work for Channel 4 News, can't you?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    When Liz Kendall chose her slogan "Labour needs a fresh start", she really didn't mean Jeremy fresh!
  • Options
    MattW said:

"

I read that sentence as "neoliberalism is defined as neoliberal practices guided by a neoliberal ideology and ruled by a neoliberal elite."

Is that fair?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

Strange how saltire cuffinks, jogging in a Scotland football top and vowing to 'reclaim the saltire from the SNP' didn't work for Irn Bru-swigging Jim Murphy.
    It's all in how you wave it I guess.
  • Options
    Looks like there is a poll in the Independent on Sunday about how Corbyn is perceived by all voters. (judging by John Rentoul's tweets)

As an aside populus polled me yesterday asking me something similar might be for Lord A
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Can't wait for the end of the labour party conference when they'll all have to stand up and sing it.... Jez has to bring back that tradition surely...
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Thanks for the link. If I'm reading this correctly, it used to be the case that being found unfit for trial meant the court assumed you had committed the crime!
    Yes, although that appears to have been the legal technicality that if you were unfit to plead you were sectioned by order of the court for public safety under the then criminal code.

It's still, as you imply, a very remarkable inversion of the principle of innocent until proven guilty and one I must admit I have not come across before. However, it seems similar in principle to the idea that if you fail to turn up to plead, you were convicted of the crime in your absence by default (which is also no longer the case since I think 1984, although it might be 1991).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Scott_P said:

Labour will be submitting its “resignation letter to the British people as a serious party of government” if it elects Jeremy Corbyn as leader, Liz Kendall said on Friday.

Kendall, in an interview on the BBC argued that Corbyn – the leftwinger who has become the surprise runaway favourite in the party’s election – was advocating policies that would lead to certain electoral defeat for Labour.

“He [Corbyn] is not offering anything new. His programme isn’t new, it’s exactly the same as it was in the 1980s and we’ll get the same result,” said Kendall, who is seen as the most Blairite of the four leadership contenders and on course to come last, according to the polls.

“I don’t want to see Labour submit our resignation letter to the British people as a serious party of government.”
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/14/liz-kendall-choosing-jeremy-corbyn-labours-resignation-letter

Exactly all serious party leaders should follow Kendalls lead and get a bouncy castle
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Pulpstar said:
    It was all so much simpler when he was the Blairite cuckoo in the Milliband nest...

• Options

ydoethur said:

Can't wait for the end of the labour party conference when they'll all have to stand up and sing it.... Jez has to bring back that tradition surely...
    Errrr....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYonhCGy5vw

(She can't sing either - too warbly, not capable of holding the pitch, very unpleasing effect).
  • Options
    @DPJHodges: Last night the Tories beat Labour in a council by-election in Exeter. Labour councillors to be first guinea pigs in the Corbyn experiment.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    shadsy said:

Ladbrokes
    12/1 Under 40%
    11/4 40-50%
    6/4 50-60%
    11/4 60-70%
    6/1 Over 70%

Hurrah. I was going to write a thread this evening on the absence of exactly this market. Stingy odds, mind (overround of 15%), though probably some value still in the 50-60 band, which I think should be close to evens.

The other market I was going to suggest was 'round of Corbyn victory', which I think should be something like:

1st 1/3
    2nd 20/1
    3rd 5/1
    Won't win 20/1
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: Last night the Tories beat Labour in a council by-election in Exeter. Labour councillors to be first guinea pigs in the Corbyn experiment.

One of the final red bastions of the South.
  • Options
    Gives me an excuse. https://twitter.com/EbenMarks/status/630470959116455936

Red linen sales set to skyrocket shortly.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Yes, although that appears to have been the legal technicality that if you were unfit to plead you were sectioned by order of the court for public safety under the then criminal code.

It's still, as you imply, a very remarkable inversion of the principle of innocent until proven guilty and one I must admit I have not come across before. However, it seems similar in principle to the idea that if you fail to turn up to plead, you were convicted of the crime in your absence by default (which is also no longer the case since I think 1984, although it might be 1991).
    http://www.onepaper.co.uk/N6_mental_health_article.pdf might also be helpful.

It is about the mental health / law boundary.

Although the trial on the facts cannot find you guilty, it can make a hospitalisation order. In that respects it looks a lot more like existing powers under the Mental Health acts to detain persons considered a threat to the public. I suspect that is part of the reason for their rarity.

Neither would cover Janner, of course.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Errrr....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYonhCGy5vw

(She can't sing either - too warbly, not capable of holding the pitch, very unpleasing effect).
    They still did it? Bloody hell....
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

JEO said:

Will this do?

Thank you yes, that answers a few questions. Bit concerning that we have imbalances with China and Germany the wrong way, while we have surpluses with such mighty economies as Ireland and the UAE (and the USA, of course).
    The UK's trade figures have been awful for decades, our biggest export is and has been for some time the nation's wealth and capital (so much of that inward investment politicians like to boast about is little more than asset stripping).
  • Options
    I've got brain ache just trying to read that :weary:
    MattW said:

"

• Options

Scott_P said:

Or the Kids.

Is this where she gave her interview about Labour giving up being a serious party if they dont elect a bouncing blair babe.

Today Alton Towers Tomorrow the party will see sense and vote for me.

FFS she is a complete joke
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

MattW said:

"

I read that sentence as "neoliberalism is defined as neoliberal practices guided by a neoliberal ideology and ruled by a neoliberal elite."

Is that fair?
    if only there was a free and comprehensive online encyclopedia where you could look up this sort of thing
  • Options

shadsy said:

Ladbrokes
    12/1 Under 40%
    11/4 40-50%
    6/4 50-60%
    11/4 60-70%
    6/1 Over 70%

Hurrah. I was going to write a thread this evening on the absence of exactly this market. Stingy odds, mind (overround of 15%), though probably some value still in the 50-60 band, which I think should be close to evens.

The other market I was going to suggest was 'round of Corbyn victory', which I think should be something like:

1st 1/3
    2nd 20/1
    3rd 5/1
    Won't win 20/1
    If YouGov's polling readjustment causes a 53 to 57 move, I would be wary of their figures plus or minus a good 10%.

It is remarkable really that such a mistake would still see Corbyn win.

I recall the story of the pollster sacked in 2001 for calling it right, but getting the figures "badly" wrong someone posted here.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Judge says Janner has been "summonsed", and must appear.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1535696/lord-janner-fails-to-show-at-child-sex-hearing
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MattW said:

"

So neoliberalism is correctly defined as er, neoliberalism. It's wot it is, that's wot it is, innit?

You can tell he used to work for Channel 4 News, can't you?
    Paul Mason still does? Essential to be a leftie there.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    ydoethur said:

Check out this site:
    https://www.uktradeinfo.com/Statistics/Pages/Monthly-Tables.aspx
  • Options
    I'm so appalled by that rubbish singing I'm going to add a different clip by a choir who had some dim idea of pitch and voice projection. Not the best quality recording but still a million times better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDIuApfVxBg

It's actually a pretty powerful piece of music if you have a good crowd singing it well, accompanied on a decent sized instrument (say a 3-manual organ with a decent flute chorus and a trumpet for the emphasis).

@TheWhiteRabbit thank you. As you say, a bit of a confusion on the old legal boundaries but that seems to leave Janner a bit caught in the middle whatever is decided.

All that we can say for definite is that the whole process is rapidly moving from chaos to farce, which is not exactly helpful for anybody, least of all the accusers.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

At each step in the process, Janner's side keep trying to block the legal process.
    Legal yes. But it stinks.
  • Options
    @IsabelHardman: The Tories might as well start popping their champagne corks now over the Labour leadership election http://t.co/X4e7IEc3Ye
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    "The worker's flag is deepest puce, with fleurs-de-lys in pale chartreuse."

(Courtesy of Jules & Sandy)
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2015
    MattW said:

Further for Ms Plato, here's Paul Mason's definition of Neoliberalism from his new book (via a comment on Richard Mutphy's site):.....

Mutphy, wonderful apt typo. Mutley would make more sense. Snigger. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/530861874797988126/

• Options
    You tried patronising me using that line the other week. It basically didn't define it.

MattW said:

"

Is that fair?
    if only there was a free and comprehensive online encyclopedia where you could look up this sort of thing
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    How on earth can Liz and Yvette stay in a Corbynite labour party, given what they have said about him, and the implications of him winning?
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    edited August 2015
    taffys said:

How on earth can Liz and Yvette stay in a Corbynite labour party, given what they have said about him, and the implications of him winning?

Well, Corbyn stayed in the Labour party despite thinking its leader was a warmongering criminal
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I'm so appalled by that rubbish singing I'm going to add a different clip by a choir who had some dim idea of pitch and voice projection. Not the best quality recording but still a million times better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDIuApfVxBg

It's actually a pretty powerful piece of music if you have a good crowd singing it well, accompanied on a decent sized instrument (say a 3-manual organ with a decent flute chorus and a trumpet for the emphasis).

@TheWhiteRabbit thank you. As you say, a bit of a confusion on the old legal boundaries but that seems to leave Janner a bit caught in the middle whatever is decided.

All that we can say for definite is that the whole process is rapidly moving from chaos to farce, which is not exactly helpful for anybody, least of all the accusers.

I think the general rule is that a trial of the facts will only be used where there is some public interest in establishing the facts.

Using a trial of the facts as a way to get a hospitalisation/supervision order seems secondary to using the mental health procedures which are carefully considered in their own right and with the proper label attached.

Equally where an order is not sought, it will rarely be worth pursing a trial of the facts, where those facts would not in any case only have given rise to a minor crime.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Scott_P said:

Or the Kids.
    Is this where she gave her interview about Labour giving up being a serious party if they dont elect a bouncing blair babe.
    Alternatively if you don't want to like people you can find all sorts of silly reasons not to like them.
  • Options
    Guido compares outsider Jeremy Corbyn to outsider Donald Trump

One is a dangerous megalomaniac with a wealth of financial firepower and a Wikipedia page full of his questionable views. The other is Donald Trump…
    http://order-order.com/#:zNsN-nAj6hrTsA
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    taffys said:

Civil war for the next 2-3 years - tremendous.

Suspect Tom Watson will become defacto leader in the Margret of Anjou role with JC as the bewildered Henry VI..

• Options
    edited August 2015
    ''Well, Corbyn stayed in the Labour party despite thinking its leader was a warmongering criminal.''

You have a point! That's not quite the same as saying your leader is a deluded mega loser ( a far worse crime for a politician than warmongering criminal).
  • Options
    Plato said:

You tried patronising me using that line the other week. It basically didn't define it.

MattW said:

"

Is that fair?
    do you need all your terms precisely defined? I don't think it's really that difficult to understand. I think you and others refuse to understand terms you are not keen on which don't correspond to your beliefs.
  • Options
    He's a man of principle, donchaknow?
    William_H said:

taffys said:

Well, Corbyn stayed in the Labour party despite thinking its leader was a warmongering criminal
  • Options
    Spectator in a week with brief mentions of Japanese soldiers

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/portrait-of-the-week/9607262/portrait-of-the-week-455/
  • Options

MattW said:

"

Is that fair?
    1. "Neoliberalism is a term whose usage and definition have changed over time."

2. I like to know how people are actually using it. Banging on about 'neoliberalism' when its simply "stuff wot I don't like" is kind of tiresome.
  • Options

May I recommend one small addition?
    'if only there was a free and comprehensive AND TRUSTWORTHY online encyclopedia where you could look up this sort of thing.'
    Unfortunately of course there isn't. I remember once reading an article which stated that Wikipedia had fewer errors than the Britannica. However, it lost a little credibility by virtue of having been written by, er, Wikipedia. In fact, since it was based on original research, it should not have been allowed under Wikipedia's own rules anyway!

Didn't stop the very unpleasant American I was at that time investigating trying to use it to prove some of his deliberate falsifications of history surrounding Hitler, of course, but these things happen.
  • Options
    Plato said:

MattW said:

"

Is that fair?
    On the other hand, I should perhaps apologise if I have caused you offense, time difference meaning I am a bit more pissed than you at this time in the morning.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

At each step in the process, Janner's side keep trying to block the legal process.
    Legal yes. But it stinks.
    Quite possibly true, and he may be as guilty as hell. But if you are incapable of defending yourself how can a trial be fair? This little bit of awkward civil rights may be bypassed perhaps with some actual proof of the accusations. Is there any proof of the accusations, other than the accusations themselves, to put to a jury?
  • Options

So does Corbyn's Labour:

http://www.skibbereeneagle.ie/web/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_Nf5FfHNth64/TI4eBml7jdI/AAAAAAAAKME/Volpfpd8VHw/s1600/2[1].jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ''Civil war for the next 2-3 years - tremendous.''

Imagine Liz and Yvette in TV interviews....'you describe your own leader as a (quote)' and his policies as (quote).'

Mincemeat doesn't describe it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Or the Kids.
    Alternatively if you don't want to like people you can find all sorts of silly reasons not to like them.
    Any other serious politicians make a speech about their party not being a serious party of Government within hours of happily performing on a bouncy castle.

Wouldnt defend Mrs BJ if she did that TBF.

I mean seriously I like Monty Python but she is beyond parody.
  • Options
    Oh, it's 5pm everywhere

*hic*

Plato said:

MattW said:

"

Is that fair?
    On the other hand, I should perhaps apologise if I have caused you offense, time difference meaning I am a bit more pissed than you at this time in the morning.
  • Options
    Kinnock must be on a ventilator by now...
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    I thought the golden rule was never to use the word you are trying to define in the explanation of the definition. (at least that is what my logic master at school taught us)

This is a trick used by people who use long words to confuse and muddle their reader and try to make their reader feel inferior because they cannot understand what is being said.
    Plato said:

MattW said:

"

• Options
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

'if only there was a free and comprehensive AND TRUSTWORTHY online encyclopedia where you could look up this sort of thing.'
    Unfortunately of course there isn't. I remember once reading an article which stated that Wikipedia had fewer errors than the Britannica. However, it lost a little credibility by virtue of having been written by, er, Wikipedia. In fact, since it was based on original research, it should not have been allowed under Wikipedia's own rules anyway!

Didn't stop the very unpleasant American I was at that time investigating trying to use it to prove some of his deliberate falsifications of history surrounding Hitler, of course, but these things happen.

No, the study of WIkipedia v EB was not done by Wikipedia.

The accuracy of Wikipedia across major topics* is now very good, as long as you think of accuracy as representing the secondary sources.

Thus most of the critique tends to be that an article is taking a revisionist/orthodox viewpoint, based on the complainant asserting the truth of half the literature and the falsity of the other half.

*Discrete topics, that is. Wikipedia really struggles to write the article on "History", since it is very difficult to step outside it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Assuming Liz et al want to keep their leadership hopes alive until the inevitable extinction level event happens to Comrade Corbyn - they can nail colours to their masts quite usefully.

Whatever Corbynistas threaten re deselection - the worst is becoming an ex-MP in five years time. That sounds better than life between now and then.
    taffys said:

''Civil war for the next 2-3 years - tremendous.''

Imagine Liz and Yvette in TV interviews....'you describe your own leader as a (quote)' and his policies as (quote).'

Mincemeat doesn't describe it.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    RodCrosby said:

Hmm, he's been very quiet wrt Corbyn - probably wonders why he bothered with the Militants.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

JEO said:

Will this do?

Our balance of trade with the EU is getting worse, as the weak Euro means they can sell stuff cheaply to us, but can't afford to buy our products. There is also the problem that our competitive strength is in service exports, and while the EU has a very free single market in goods, the French keep on stifling efforts to get a free trade in services.
  • Options
    Kellner: "Corbyn's voters don't think he is competent or a vote-winner, but that he's honest and shares their values..."
  • Options
    Plato said:

Oh, it's 5pm everywhere

*hic*

Plato said:

MattW said:

"

Is that fair?
    well, then I'm 2 hours ahead of you :) I'm in for robust debate, but I honestly don't intend to cause offence
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No, the study of WIkipedia v EB was not done by Wikipedia.

The accuracy of Wikipedia across major topics is now very good, as long as you think of accuracy as representing the secondary sources.

Thus most of the critique tends to be that an article is taking a revisionist/orthodox viewpoint, based on the complainant asserting the truth of half the literature and the falsity of the other half.

The study I saw came from the Jimmy Wales foundation. It was a while ago and if there was a genuine study behind it, I'd be glad to see it.

I find very often that there is gentle agenda-pushing even on its major topics, in particular attempts to play up or play down key arguments and the habit of 'quote mining' to support points of view, or randomly removing sourced materials because they reveal information that discredits the subject or at least, shows them in an unflattering light. That may be simply because my areas of expertise are in fairly controversial topics (as some on here may have noted)!

I have tended to take the view that it is a worthy guide to further reading, but nothing else. Since some of the articles still don't have footnotes, they seem to me to be pretty useless.
  • Options
    Well quite. The worst meetings I've been in were infested with jargon-speak designed as a private language for the cognoscenti.

None of it was technical or specific to the trade - just there to exclude those who weren't in the clique.
    Financier said:

I thought the golden rule was never to use the word you are trying to define in the explanation of the definition. (at least that is what my logic master at school taught us)

This is a trick used by people who use long words to confuse and muddle their reader and try to make their reader feel inferior because they cannot understand what is being said.

Plato said:

MattW said:

"

• Options

ydoethur said:

Does £3 get you into the conference? To what extent will entryism infiltrate the constituency parties?People who do not applaud loudly enough will no doubt be disappeared. It could all get quite hysteric.
  • Options
    A cartoon of Tony and Neil holding their heads in their hands is long overdue.

RodCrosby said:

Hmm, he's been very quiet wrt Corbyn - probably wonders why he bothered with the Militants.
  • Options
    @ZoraSuleman: Judge tells Court that she'll ``resolve'' the issue of Lord Janner appearing in court today ``even if I have to have him arrested''.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @adyBucket

'Andy Burnham has been a Blairite, Brownite and now appears to be a Corbynite. '

Just like Mr Palmer who also was an Ed fan for a while,it's called 'Positive Politics' you just follow the crowd.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Kellner: "Corbyn's voters don't think he is competent or a vote-winner, but that he's honest and shares their values..."

Right up until they find out what some of those values actually are. And how you define honest. Then the fun really starts
  • Options
    Judge loses patience with Janner's lawyers "I'm warning you - stop messing about!"

and is "prepared to arrest Janner today"...