Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If there is a Corbyn victory then it might make referendum

124»

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. HYUFD, not that up on US politics (especially compared to the denizens of PB), but isn't that a lame duck approach?

He is aiming to neutralise the age issue but I presume would pick a younger VP nominee
    Trump has already got a candidate:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/jesse-ventura-donald-trump-vice-president-possible-pick-121294.html

Though Trump's team has already expressed a preference for Carson.
    Trump-Ventura would be quite the ticket, at least for the media
    A Trump-Carson ticket won't be bad it would help him balance with evangelicals who don't like Trump, though might cost him votes from social liberals as Carson is very extreme on abortion.
    Anyway Trump is a media man and he will make his decision based on who can get most ratings.

Goodnight.
    Which is why he would go for Ventura
    Why spend time worrying about the US elections. If the GOP do not select JEB then Hillary will win and if they do select JEB then ... well either JEB or Hillary will win. Neither will frighten the family pets.
    Except on present polling it is perfectly possible neither will end up being the nominee of their party, let alone president
    I think it should be Hillary. Be mad to bet against her frankly. And yet, I'm beginning to get a feeling an upset is going to happen.
    Hillary is a weak candidate - she is not her husband. She utterly lacks charm. She is a known quantity, and hard core Dems will support her regardless. Her problem is among independents. The more they see of her the less they like her.

Yet again, let me reinforce that her major problem is the EMAIL scandal. State is releasing her emails on a judicially imposed schedule, which doesn't end until late January next year, so every few weeks it's on the news about how much of this release has been redacted. This feeds into the virtual collapse of her honesty and trustworthy numbers, with its constant drip drip. It's starting to have an effect.

But the elephant in the room is the FBI investigation. Hillary has now lost control of this. The Feds will take their time.

I notice she has changed her story again this weekend. Now she is merely saying there was nothing marked classified on her server. We already know that some emails had the classified flag removed.

In summary, her weakening poll numbers may influence other candidates to enter the fray, with unpredictable results, but if the FBI investigation goes against her, which is also unpredictable, she is a goner.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,209
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. HYUFD, not that up on US politics (especially compared to the denizens of PB), but isn't that a lame duck approach?

He is aiming to neutralise the age issue but I presume would pick a younger VP nominee

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/jesse-ventura-donald-trump-vice-president-possible-pick-121294.html

A Trump-Carson ticket won't be bad it would help him balance with evangelicals who don't like Trump, though might cost him votes from social liberals as Carson is very extreme on abortion.
    Anyway Trump is a media man and he will make his decision based on who can get most ratings.

Goodnight.
    Why spend time worrying about the US elections. If the GOP do not select JEB then Hillary will win and if they do select JEB then ... well either JEB or Hillary will win. Neither will frighten the family pets.
    Except on present polling it is perfectly possible neither will end up being the nominee of their party, let alone president
    I think it should be Hillary. Be mad to bet against her frankly. And yet, I'm beginning to get a feeling an upset is going to happen.
    Hillary is a weak candidate - she is not her husband. She utterly lacks charm. She is a known quantity, and hard core Dems will support her regardless. Her problem is among independents. The more they see of her the less they like her.

In summary, her weakening poll numbers may influence other candidates to enter the fray, with unpredictable results, but if the FBI investigation goes against her, which is also unpredictable, she is a goner.
    I am covered if Biden or Gore pop out of the cupboard.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006

I haven't seen any young lefties moving Tory. If anything, from what I've seen online, politics among politically-interested young people is becoming more and more polarised. You have extreme hard-left types who believe that anyone who even looks at Corbyn in the wrong way is a Tory. You have other hard-right types on forums such as The Student Room, who actively believe that people aren't entitled to equality of opportunity, and that the British establishment should exclusively run things. Both groups are utterly absurd.

I would guess that the big shocks are:
    paying income tax;
    followed by:
    caring for aging parents

Suddenly the Conservative policy of "low income tax but lots of pensions and NHS" appeals.
  • Options
    @FattyBolger I don't quite see that happening. Even in my own family, all but two people vote Labour, including those over 50. If they all become businessmen/women, or join city firms maybe - but not all people who got to uni do that, or intend to.
    MP_SE said:

I haven't seen any young lefties moving Tory. If anything, from what I've seen online, politics among politically-interested young people is becoming more and more polarised. You have extreme hard-left types who believe that anyone who even looks at Corbyn in the wrong way is a Tory. You have other hard-right types on forums such as The Student Room, who actively believe that people aren't entitled to equality of opportunity, and that the British establishment should exclusively run things. Both groups are utterly absurd.

Voting Green/Lab/Lib Dem at uni might seem trendy but a few years post-graduation when you are almost in higher tax rate territory you realise voting Tory makes more sense.

I don't vote Labour because it's 'trendy'; tbh being a leftie feminist who is interested in politics is hardly trendy tbqf. Also, the chances of me, and my fellow graduates of being in a high tax bracket is unlikely to be the case any time soon. Look at how high youth unemployment is for a start. I'll consider myself very fortunate, if I managed to get a job that pays 20k.

Voting Tory makes sense if you're old, own a home, are reasonably wealthy and have quite a few assets. If your a young person likely to get a low-paid job, with high costs of living, with it seeming impossible that you'll even get a mortgage before your 30th birthday, (if ever) it makes little sense to vote Tory.
  • Options
    EPG said:

I would guess that the big shocks are:
    paying income tax;
    followed by:
    caring for aging parents

Suddenly the Conservative policy of "low income tax but lots of pensions and NHS" appeals.
    Hmmm, I don't know about that. While Labour's advantage among young voters decreases after 25, this tends to be with males. Females, who are most likely going to be careers for old parents, and also more likely to go uni, tend to stick with Labour.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Goodnight.

I am covered if Biden or Gore pop out of the cupboard.
    For what it's worth - Biden has hired a couple of campaign advisers and will decide 'by the end of the summer', and a Gore spokesman denies he's thinking about a run.

Gore and Al Jazeera have a couple of nasty lawsuits ongoing from when they bought his TV network, which wouldn't help if he ran.
  • Options
    For golfists, Jason Day hit a 374 yard drive today. I'm not sure whether to be awestruck or depressed.

I'll see him at East Lake next month
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

Goodnight.
    Based on today's Iowa Straw Poll it would be Trump v Sanders and Iowa is the first state to vote
    https://sos.iowa.gov/statefair.html
    Carly in 4th. Still excellent value IMHO.
    I can see her as VP nominee, not nominee but at the moment the Trump bandwagon rolls on and he was mobbed at the Iowa State Fair today, night
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3199381/The-Donald-landed-Trump-touches-helicopter-Iowa-launches-war-worst-Secretary-State-Clinton-beholden-donors-Bush-adds-haven-t-mistakes.html
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Tim_B said:

For golfists, Jason Day hit a 374 yard drive today. I'm not sure whether to be awestruck or depressed.

I haven't seen him in the flesh, but his ball flight is incredibly high.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

@FattyBolger I don't quite see that happening. Even in my own family, all but two people vote Labour, including those over 50. If they all become businessmen/women, or join city firms maybe - but not all people who got to uni do that, or intend to.

MP_SE said:

Voting Green/Lab/Lib Dem at uni might seem trendy but a few years post-graduation when you are almost in higher tax rate territory you realise voting Tory makes more sense.

If your a young person likely to get a low-paid job, with high costs of living, with it seeming impossible that you'll even get a mortgage before your 30th birthday, (if ever) it makes little sense to vote Tory.
    And yet many do. Not in the same number as those who vote Labour, but it's hardly an insignificant number - it's exactly the same as 'working class people vote Labour'; certainly more do than vote Tory, but millions of them still vote Tory. Decrying it as not making sense insults those millions of people, unless we are prepared to admit that people sometimes, or often, vote for stupid reasons and they don't know what's good for them. I'll admit that, and I absolute accept not all my political positions and thus voting intentions will be based on logic, even if I think they are, but we cannot simultaneously think it makes no or little sense for enormous demographic groups to vote a certain way, and yet still accept a significant proportion do, unless we implicitly say those people are idiots, we cannot believe it makes no sense for them to act as they do (as a minority but still significant position) and yet still claim they do know what is best for themselves, which politicians of course have to claim even if they don't believe it.

Good night all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited August 2015
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

If your a young person likely to get a low-paid job, with high costs of living, with it seeming impossible that you'll even get a mortgage before your 30th birthday, (if ever) it makes little sense to vote Tory.
    And yet many do. Not in the same number as those who vote Labour, but it's hardly an insignificant number - it's exactly the same as 'working class people vote Labour'; certainly more do than vote Tory, but millions of them still vote Tory. Decrying it as not making sense insults those millions of people, unless we are prepared to admit that people sometimes, or often, vote for stupid reasons and they don't know what's good for them. I'll admit that, and I absolute accept not all my political positions and thus voting intentions will be based on logic, even if I think they are, but we cannot simultaneously think it makes no or little sense for enormous demographic groups to vote a certain way, and yet still accept a significant proportion do, unless we implicitly say those people are idiots, we cannot believe it makes no sense for them to act as they do (as a minority but still significant position) and yet still claim they do know what is best for themselves, which politicians of course have to claim even if they don't believe it.

Good night all.
    In 2015 a voter over 30, earning more than £25,000 and working in the private sector was highly likely to vote Tory, especially if he was male
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/06/08/general-election-2015-how-britain-really-voted/
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Tim_B said:

I haven't seen him in the flesh, but his ball flight is incredibly high.
    I'll be on the tee at East Lake.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SeanT

'I just got my first email about my vote for deputy leader.

Hmm. Who does the most damage to Labour? Thoughts?'

Watson he's truly voter repellent
  • Options

Haven't posted in yonks. Anyways, I voted Labour in the first two Blair elections but would never ever vote for the Corbyn Wolfie Smith tribute act. I may vote for Liz K. Possibly. As she is rubbish but sane. But basically as she is being to told to eff off by Labour members I interpret this to mean my vote should eff off as well.

As an aside, for people who are interested in tbis sort of thing, Me and missus bolger went to see Attlia the Stockbroker for the first time in 25 yrs at the Ledbury poetry fest a few weeks ago..we loved him when we were younger, thought he was cutting edge, now just seems an embarrassing adolescant throwback..the middle England audience was basically bemused, like watching Rick from the Young Ones when his mates have grown up...perhaps this reflects younger lefties now moving Tory.

Most surprised to see Attila The Stockbroker mentioned here on PB. I was at the festival he organises, Glastonwick, earlier in the summer. Long may he go on doing what he does.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Corbynomics and People's QE will be unlawful under Lisbon Article 123. So he is either lying, or he will be supporting OUT.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,982
    Indigo said:

Corbynomics and People's QE will be unlawful under Lisbon Article 123. So he is either lying, or he will be supporting OUT.

Isn't that about Eurozone members disallowing non government institutions (principally unions) from borrowing from the ECB?

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Isn't that about Eurozone members disallowing non government institutions (principally unions) from borrowing from the ECB?

And governments
    1. Overdraft facilities or any other type of credit facility with the European Central Bank or with the central banks of the Member States (hereinafter referred to as ‘national central banks’) in favour of Union institutions, bodies, offices or agencies, central governments, regional, local or other public authorities, other bodies governed by public law, or public undertakings of Member States shall be prohibited, as shall the purchase directly from them by the European Central Bank or national central banks of debt instruments.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    Morning all :)

I'm afraid sickness means an early start today as I was tired of lying in bed feeling sorry for myself, not being able to breathe normally and of course disturbing Mrs Stodge.

So it's OZ racing and pb for a while - on the issue of Jeremy Corbyn, I suspect he will follow a leadership style quite unlike most we've seen of late. The new Shadow Cabinet (and the elections to that will either confirm the Corbyn takeover of the Party or not) is, to my eyes, likely to be much more concensual and much less Presidential.

Despite being nominally primus inter pares, Cameron dominates the Government - Hammond has no useful purpose at all it seems - but I suspect Corbyn won't be like that. It will be much more collegiate and the formation of policy likewise.

Corbyn may lead and direct but I think Shadow Cabinet members will have more "say" than their Conservative equivalents.

For me, Corbyn's problems aren't what he's said and with whom he has associated which aren't important nor an economic policy which will be trimmed and tailored but he comes over as a thinker (irrespective of whether you like his thoughts or not) and I fear won't be suited to the modern political agenda with the 24-hour news cycle.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

Good night all.
    Millions of young people vote Tory? 3.3m young people could vote in 2015, but only around 40% actually turn out. In that case, it's certainly not millions of young people voting Tory.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

Good night all.
    Millions of young people vote Tory? 3.3m young people could vote in 2015, but only around 40% actually turn out. In that case, it's certainly not millions of young people voting Tory.
    The millions part is in reference to the latter bit about working class voters, which has the same principle as the young voters generalisation