Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 150/1 outsider for the Democratic Party nomination

Comments

• DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

I forgot to mention, Al Gore's home town is Carthage*, he announced both his previous Presidential runs in Carthage.

As we all know, only losers come from Carthage.

**Carthage, Tennessee

Great! So we could call him "Hannib-Al Gore".
  • madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    EPG said:

If there's one topic I wouldn't trust PB on it's a Gordon Brown speech.

Like most other mainstream Conservative web communities like ConHome or Guido, PB coalesced during the Brown ministry and the personal contempt of him justified unity under the not-very-different policies of David Cameron. On the day of his Scotland speech you would almost have thought he had lost it for No, but I think there was more chat about the RAF or trains because obviously nobody listens to the hated Loonie McBroon.

Bigot! :-)
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Danny565 said:

I think a Corbyn win might itself boost Bernie Sanders' chances. Lefties will look at it and think "wow, it really is possible".

Yep I'm sure all the POTUS hopefuls are just waiting on JC's victory speech to plan their next moves :)
  • SeanT said:

This is incredible. A pro-Corbyn Labour MP - LABOUR - attacks Gordon Brown's record on "economic credibility" by saying he has none.

A massive domestic brawl ensues, with the kids left weeping upstairs, as Mum hurls hot chip fat at Dad, and Dad gives her a shiner. Read the whole thing.

http://tinyurl.com/p9m4zel

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! ;)
  • PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Lamb rogan josh is my Indian favourite, roast lamb with rosemary is yummy, Greek lamb marvellous as kebabs.

I'm torn between roast chicken, roast lamb and venison. Hmm, and roast fillet of beef. Bit of a carnivore.

Never keen on pork - it's all a bit dull.
    notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato- if my partner fell under the proverbial, sadly there could be no future for us. Your political views I could stand- just, but not the meat eating. Supposing you got a bit of bacon stuck in your mouth. Yuck.

Plato said:

I ate Larry the Lamb with new potatoes. Bambi is in the pot tomorrow :yummy:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

I trust you haven't felt the need to kill any sentient creatures in order to indulge in the delights of your Sunday fare.

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

http://order-order.com/2015/08/16/gordon-prowls/

Please can someone put this to the Benny Hill music....

Blinking heck- if Oliver Stone does another movie about Nixon all Gordon has to do is perfect an American accent.

Absence makes the ex-PM go wander...

@TSE, we are fortunate indeed that Al-Qaeda were not better organised.

And with that, I am off to sample the delights of a roast dinner. Hope everyone has a great evening.
    I believe that the centrepiece of the dinner is(was) an extreme right-wing Tory supporting chicken....so not "sentient" at all. :wink:
    Or a bit of roasted baby.
    roast? Boiled is best.
    Lamb really is my favourite meat. Two best ways that i enjoy immensely:

i) Leg prepared by making incisions, filled with slithers of garlic and sprigs of rosemary, optionally coated in a jam of some kind and then roasted.
    ii) Whole leg of lamb deboned and buterfly cut. Seasoned with lemon and cumin with a few other spices, cooked for twenty five minutes in oven then thrown onto the BBQ.

Amazing...
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958
    SeanT said:

This is incredible. A pro-Corbyn Labour MP - LABOUR - attacks Gordon Brown's record on "economic credibility" by saying he has none.

A massive domestic brawl ensues, with the kids left weeping upstairs, as Mum hurls hot chip fat at Dad, and Dad gives her a shiner. Read the whole thing.

"Whatever you do, don't mention any Uncomfortable Truths. I did, but I think I got away with it..."
  • Plato said:

Saw a very interesting show on Food Network about US lamb and why it wasn't that popular/tasted very different. Apparently it's corn, not grass fed and doesn't have that gamey quality.

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato- if my partner fell under the proverbial, sadly there could be no future for us. Your political views I could stand- just, but not the meat eating. Supposing you got a bit of bacon stuck in your mouth. Yuck.

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

I trust you haven't felt the need to kill any sentient creatures in order to indulge in the delights of your Sunday fare.

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

Blinking heck- if Oliver Stone does another movie about Nixon all Gordon has to do is perfect an American accent.

And with that, I am off to sample the delights of a roast dinner. Hope everyone has a great evening.
    I believe that the centrepiece of the dinner is(was) an extreme right-wing Tory supporting chicken....so not "sentient" at all. :wink:
    Keen's - the best steakhouse in Manhattan - does a very good mutton chop as its house speciality, but sheep meat is very hard to find in the US, and when you do come across it it usually comes from Nee Zealand.

I wondered if funding terrorists was quite as popular after the Boston Marathon...

Speedy said:

Plato said:

I suspect Colonel Sanders will be more influential.

Danny565 said:

I think a Corbyn win might itself boost Bernie Sanders' chances. Lefties will look at it and think "wow, it really is possible".

I think so too, Corbyn would have as much impact on the US race as KFC, but if he won and actually goes to the US and campaigns for Sanders then than would have an impact.

Yep - hangin' with Hamas and Hezbollah is always a vote winner in the US. That said, the IRA connection might play well with the plastics in Boston, Buffalo and New York.

Plato said:

Lamb rogan josh is my Indian favourite, roast lamb with rosemary is yummy, Greek lamb marvellous as kebabs.

I'm torn between roast chicken, roast lamb and venison. Hmm, and roast fillet of beef. Bit of a carnivore.

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

roast? Boiled is best.

i) Leg prepared by making incisions, filled with slithers of garlic and sprigs of rosemary, optionally coated in a jam of some kind and then roasted.
    ii) Whole leg of lamb deboned and buterfly cut. Seasoned with lemon and cumin with a few other spices, cooked for twenty five minutes in oven then thrown onto the BBQ.

Amazing...
    Pork as bacon is sublime. Especially smoked.
  • Well Gordon WAS a just a little bit CRAP - so what's the issue?

Still, nice to see Sean T thrashing about like a true Primrose Hill (borders) Blairite!
  • SeanT said:

"Whatever you do, don't mention any Uncomfortable Truths. I did, but I think I got away with it..."
    "You started it - you invaded Northern Rock!"
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    On the important issue of the day...yes, Lamb is the best meat.
    Plato said:

I'm beginning to wonder if my joke about phoning Jeremy Kyle isn't so wide of mark.

What are they thinking of? It's as if they've forgotten Twitter can be seen by everyone.

notme said:

SeanT said:

That really is incendiary.. An MP should know better.
    Those without Twitter are probably feeling pretty smug when moments like that occur.

EPG said:

If there's one topic I wouldn't trust PB on it's a Gordon Brown speech.

Like most other mainstream Conservative web communities like ConHome or Guido, PB coalesced during the Brown ministry and the personal contempt of him justified unity under the not-very-different policies of David Cameron. On the day of his Scotland speech you would almost have thought he had lost it for No, but I think there was more chat about the RAF or trains because obviously nobody listens to the hated Loonie McBroon.

Actually I seem to recall that several Conservatives of a more Unionist persuasion did praise Gordie's Save the Union speech, albeit through gritted teeth.
    They didn't have much else to cheer in the way of passionate appeals, in fairness.

Personally I've never had a problem with Brown on a personal level, he's far better than Blair as far as I'm concerned.
    SeanT said:

Plato said:

I'm beginning to wonder if my joke about phoning Jeremy Kyle isn't so wide of mark.

What are they thinking of? It's as if they've forgotten Twitter can be seen by everyone.

notme said:

SeanT said:

It's just stunningly stupid. Apparently (if you read the exchange) this particular MP dissing Brown's economic credibility is meant to be "one of the brightest of the the 2015 intake". Errr...

I do hope there is someone at Tory CCHQ noting all this stuff down. It will provide hilarious, brilliant, Labour-bashing material for maybe 20 years of PMQs.
    In LabourLand, you get the feeling that if the child pointed out that the Emperor had no clothes, the poor unfortunate would be stoned to death, its bloodied and broken body discarded in a gutter so as not to impede the Imperial stately progress...
  • Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

roast? Boiled is best.

Amazing...

Pork belly in all its forms is delicious. Then there's jamon ...

• tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    SO- my flirtation with Corbyn is sadly over- you'll be pleased to know. I read today that he'll make McDonnell SC. Doubtless we'll have Abbott as SHS, and Skinner as SFC. It'll be like Labour's Jurassic Park, resurrecting extinct creatures, but worse.

I could say "You told me so."

I'm going for Andy, and Yvette as my number two. There might be other fluctuating Labour members today, but I doubt in sufficient numbers to make a difference. Obviously my betting situation is till the same and I'm backing the bearded one. When hard cash is concerned I am less sentimental.

At least comrade, we are back on the same team.

notme said:

SeanT said:

He's a Corbyn supporting Labour MP. That's all you need to know to know that he's a moron. No doubt he'll be in the Shadow Cabinet soon doing Nick Palmer proud.

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

It's just stunningly stupid. Apparently (if you read the exchange) this particular MP dissing Brown's economic credibility is meant to be "one of the brightest of the the 2015 intake". Errr...

I do hope there is someone at Tory CCHQ noting all this stuff down. It will provide hilarious, brilliant, Labour-bashing material for maybe 20 years of PMQs.
    In LabourLand, you get the feeling that if the child pointed out that the Emperor had no clothes, the poor unfortunate would be stoned to death, its bloodied and broken body discarded in a gutter so as not to impede the Imperial stately progress...
    Serves him right, impudent little sod.
  • Plato said:

I wondered if funding terrorists was quite as popular after the Boston Marathon...

Speedy said:

Plato said:

I suspect Colonel Sanders will be more influential.

Danny565 said:

I think so too, Corbyn would have as much impact on the US race as KFC, but if he won and actually goes to the US and campaigns for Sanders then than would have an impact.

Yep - hangin' with Hamas and Hezbollah is always a vote winner in the US. That said, the IRA connection might play well with the plastics in Boston, Buffalo and New York.

There's still plenty of places where you can get into an argument, or worse, about the Brits killing all the leprachauns.
  • tyson said:

SO- my flirtation with Corbyn is sadly over- you'll be pleased to know. I read today that he'll make McDonnell SC. Doubtless we'll have Abbott as SHS, and Skinner as SFC. It'll be like Labour's Jurassic Park, resurrecting extinct creatures, but worse.

I'm going for Andy, and Yvette as my number two. There might be other fluctuating Labour members today, but I doubt in sufficient numbers to make a difference. Obviously my betting situation is till the same and I'm backing the bearded one. When hard cash is concerned I am less sentimental.

notme said:

SeanT said:

He's a Corbyn supporting Labour MP. That's all you need to know to know that he's a moron. No doubt he'll be in the Shadow Cabinet soon doing Nick Palmer proud.

tyson showing his true Blairite colours, finally :lol:
    What will Private Eye's take on Comrade Corbyn be?

I'm not sure how to parody it. We had Gordon...
    Prime Ministerial Decree was a mock Stalinist decree by "supreme leader" Gordon Brown, portrayed as a centralist dictator. Brown continuously hailed the "Age of Change" and often attempted to revise history (playing on Brown's degree in history), making harsh attacks on the "discredited regime" of "former Comrade Blair". The column made much of the Soviet-era tendency to coin philosophies pertaining to certain people, often referring to "Blairist-Mandelsonism", "Osbornist-Cameronian" and other variants.

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good evening, everyone.

Just a quick plug for episode 8 of my sci-fi serial Zodiac Eclipse:
    http://www.kraxon.com/zodiac-eclipse-angels-or-demons/

All episodes, oldest at the bottom, can be found here:
    http://www.kraxon.com/category/zodiac-eclipse/

It's well worth a look, and is easily the best cyborg bounty hunter pirate sci-fi story I've ever written.
    felix said:

Danny565 said:

Yep I'm sure all the POTUS hopefuls are just waiting on JC's victory speech to plan their next moves :)
    Bernie's brother was a Green party candidate at the GE apparently, so if he's tempted to rejoin Labour if Corbyn wins, he might mention that to his brother.

More seriously, the right uses election wins by Merkel or Key or whoever as signifier of some global trend toward their side, and people on the left use things like Podemos and Syriza as examples of lefty populism sweeping the world they will be a part of, so even though I think most american politicians are less inclined to seek global back up for their ideological strata, I suppose it's possible Bernie could reference a JC takeover of UK Labour, he's more of an odd one, and there was a bit on John Oliver where they showed him asking interviewers questions about stats and facts about other nations

Also, didn't an American candidate once get caught plagiarizing a speech from Kinnock?

• tyson said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

Glad to hear it. But, as you say, the die is already cast and Labour will elect the unelectable as its leader. The best hope now is that he comes crashing down before he is able to change Labour's constitution. If he stays long enough to do that I may - at 51 - have seen the last Labour government of my lifetime. Not that I could ever regret a party of the hard left being out of power.

Biden announced his candidacy in June 1987, and was considered one of the potentially strongest candidates in the field. However, in September 1987, newspaper stories stated he had plagiarized a speech by British politician Neil Kinnock. Other allegations of past law school plagiarism and exaggerating his academic record soon followed. Biden withdrew from the race later that month.
    kle4 said:

felix said:

Danny565 said:

Bernie's brother was a Green party candidate at the GE apparently, so if he's tempted to rejoin Labour if Corbyn wins, he might mention that to his brother.

More seriously, the right uses election wins by Merkel or Key or whoever as signifier of some global trend toward their side, and people on the left use things like Podemos and Syriza as examples of lefty populism sweeping the world they will be a part of, so even though I think most american politicians are less inclined to seek global back up for their ideological strata, I suppose it's possible Bernie could reference a JC takeover of UK Labour, he's more of an odd one, and there was a bit on John Oliver where they showed him asking interviewers questions about stats and facts about other nations

Also, didn't an American candidate once get caught plagiarizing a speech from Kinnock?

tyson said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

Glad to hear it. But, as you say, the die is already cast and Labour will elect the unelectable as its leader.
    But, but, he's been elected as an MP like 9 times, that proves he's not 'unelectable' to the country as a whole.

I'm sure someone's saying it. We should roll out that point about us 'not voting for PMs, it's 650 local contests' as well, as though many people don't vote based on who the leader is.
    Awful. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/11806160/ITVs-Tom-Bradby-tries-to-save-suicidal-Greek-man-from-drowning.html
    Tom Bradby, ITV's political editor, has spoken of his "shock and anger" after police stood by as he dived into a harbour in Greece to try to save a suicidal man from drowning.

Writing on Twitter, Mr Bradby said he had "watched an elderly man commit suicide in Greece by driving his car off the harbour wall in Rafina", a port about 20 miles from central Athens.

The journalist said he had diven in and tried to help the man, but "couldn't get him out".

"Of the 9 or 10 customers officials and police on the quay, only 1 went in to try and get him out as the car sank. The rest watched. Jesus..." he wrote. "Am shaking with shock and anger."
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    SO I have been ejected from a great number of Irish Pubs all over the USA for pointing out to the collectors of funds that they were financing murderers..

SO I have been ejected from a great number of Irish Pubs all over the USA for pointing out to the collectors of funds that they were financing murderers..

Ejected peacefully I hope.
    edited August 2015
    I saw some Corbynites arguing that because JC's majority had gone up at GE2015 - that meant what he said was more popular now than ever...
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

Glad to hear it. But, as you say, the die is already cast and Labour will elect the unelectable as its leader.
    But, but, he's been elected as an MP like 9 times, that proves he's not 'unelectable' to the country as a whole.

I'm sure someone's saying it. We should roll out that point about us 'not voting for PMs, it's 650 local contests' as well, as though many people don't vote based on who the leader is.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/15/jeremy-corbyn-campaign-scotland-corbynmania
    “There’s a trick to it all, though,” confides one of the Corbyn camp. “It’s supremely clever. It’s that it’s impossible to go off-message. Because there is no ‘message’ – there’s just Jeremy!”

And he's taking no shit from foreign-backed witch-hunters...
    'I asked him: did he accept – not necessarily apologise for, but accept – that his hinterland has meant unsavoury bedfellows? “There’s no denying that some people I have had to sit down with, both Israeli and Palestinian and from many other areas, have held personal views which are anathema to me, abhorrent to me. Does that mean we shouldn’t have sat down with them? It certainly doesn’t.”'
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Kle4 ..ejected peacefully...never.. the collectors and their minders always reacted rather ungraciously when I told them where to shove their collecting tins..
  • SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

roast? Boiled is best.

Amazing...

I had the very best ham in the world last week, in Marbella. 100% jamon iberico de bellota, acorn fed, pata negra. I even took a photo. It's like eating meat as a form of delicious gold leaf. It dissolves into sublimity on your tongue.

https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/630457605006192646

That is exactly what it is. To be taken with an ice cold fino.

• HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

roast? Boiled is best.

Amazing...
    There are squillions of ways of cooking lamb that are all wonderful. My local curry house will, given a couple of days notice, do a roast lamb that is to die for. At home I normally restrict myself to the good old slow roasted leg with rosemary and lots of garlic. However, on high days and holy days I will go for the leg covered in honey and ginger and then roasted. (details of the recipe are available on request at HurstLlama at gmail dot com).

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

roast? Boiled is best.

Amazing...
    There are squillions of ways of cooking lamb that are all wonderful. My local curry house will, given a couple of days notice, do a roast lamb that is to die for. At home I normally restrict myself to the good old slow roasted leg with rosemary and lots of garlic. However, on high days and holy days I will go for the leg covered in honey and ginger and then roasted. (details of the recipe are available on request at HurstLlama at gmail dot com).
    I may well take you up on that.
    And the phrase is on Blue, reminding all lefties of the to watch out for Tories who mere say they are keeping left as well. Disgraceful.
    Sean= SO's self abuse metaphor is just a bit too visual for my disposition.

There is something romantic for us lefties about Jez, I don't know what, but believe me he has something- but when you look beyond him it is all a bit frightful. So, to be slightly hackneyed "I'm out."

And yes, I am probably a little bit embarrassed by my mild flirtation with Jez. Not quite as embarrassed mind as I was when I was 14 and my mum walked in on me when I was happily perusing a well thumbed copy of Penthouse one handed.
    SeanT said:

tyson said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

Are you proud of yourself? Or suitably mortified? It's like you were caught fervently wanking at a bus-stop, then realised people were watching.

Hopefully enough useful idiots, like you, will keep on strumming themselves stupid, and Corbyn will edge to victory.
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

so even though I think most american politicians are less inclined to seek global back up for their ideological strata, I suppose it's possible Bernie could reference a JC takeover of UK Labour, he's more of an odd one, and there was a bit on John Oliver where they showed him asking interviewers questions about stats and facts about other nations

I didn't mean it would influence the politicians - i meant a Corbyn win would influence the Democrat voters/activists.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited August 2015

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

roast? Boiled is best.

Amazing...
    Just been to Iceland, where the lamb is to die for! I've also had, in Yorkshire,, a shank covered in a light curry flavoured sauce which was delicious.
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

so even though I think most american politicians are less inclined to seek global back up for their ideological strata, I suppose it's possible Bernie could reference a JC takeover of UK Labour, he's more of an odd one, and there was a bit on John Oliver where they showed him asking interviewers questions about stats and facts about other nations

I didn't mean it would influence the politicians - i meant a Corbyn win would influence the Democrat voters/activists.
    Well sure, but if he influences the politicians, unlikely as that is, that might get taken up by the activists and voters.
  • flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

tyson said:

notme said:

SeanT said:

Glad to hear it. But, as you say, the die is already cast and Labour will elect the unelectable as its leader. The best hope now is that he comes crashing down before he is able to change Labour's constitution. If he stays long enough to do that I may - at 51 - have seen the last Labour government of my lifetime. Not that I could ever regret a party of the hard left being out of power.

You could keep your fingers crossed - I mean £3 is not a rock solid commitment is it. There is nothing absolute that says the noble 'affiliates' will vote. You have to think though that swamping the traditional membership with swarms of marauding migrating voters is only going to help one person.

And when you say 'Labour' - just what do you mean? Once the affiliates become full members and take over then what will be left of 'Labour'?
    Quite a few of you will have to start thinking of a nice sassy name for your breakaway party.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Good evening, everyone.

Just a quick plug for episode 8 of my sci-fi serial Zodiac Eclipse:
    http://www.kraxon.com/zodiac-eclipse-angels-or-demons/

All episodes, oldest at the bottom, can be found here:
    http://www.kraxon.com/category/zodiac-eclipse/

It's well worth a look, and is easily the best cyborg bounty hunter pirate sci-fi story I've ever written.

I've read all your cyborg bounty hunter pirate non-sci-fi stuff!

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,039
    The abuse flying around on social media today about non-Jez candidates is unbelievable. How is he going to control these people if he's leader?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

Plato said:

Golly, this isn't going away... "Kids Company paid LSE £40,000 for positive report" http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article4525691.ece

There should be some prosecutions over this.

I think we will soon find that the only people helped by Kids Company were the employees themselves and not the 360000 children they claimed, or whatever the last claim was.

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

roast? Boiled is best.

Amazing...

I had the very best ham in the world last week, in Marbella. 100% jamon iberico de bellota, acorn fed, pata negra. I even took a photo. It's like eating meat as a form of delicious gold leaf. It dissolves into sublimity on your tongue.

I have been eating such ham all week. It is indeed delicious.
    SeanT said:

The abuse flying around on social media today about non-Jez candidates is unbelievable. How is he going to control these people if he's leader?

Another victim of the Frothing Jezbollah is... hard left Guardian cartoonist Martin Rowson. Yes.

https://twitter.com/MartinRowson/status/632279053664419840
    Jezbollah? - LOL - brilliant!
    Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 20m20 minutes ago

The Conservative party is a big tent Corbyn supporters, but not big enough for Harriet Harman, Gordon Brown or Liz Kendall, sorry
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    SeanT said:

Another victim of the Frothing Jezbollah is... hard left Guardian cartoonist Martin Rowson. Yes.

Given the abuse that Guardianistas have hurled at everyone else over the years, it rather serves them right that they're now on the receiving end.

The Revolution eats its children, after all.
  • LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    Couldn't watch more than five minutes of Gordon Brown, he just made me dizzy with his pacing up and down. You would think his wife should put super glue on the soles of his shoes.

Listening to lefty LBS presenter, Tom Swarbrick. Trying to get a narrative going that Corbynism is due to the dire 100 days of the tories, etc,etc. All callers agreeing with him, so far. None of them have anything good to say about Gordon Brown, or the other interventions. I think it is nailed on for Corbyn. I just think Labour need to shut up now and let it play out.

Tory voters NOW saying they will vote for Corbyn, THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD.
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

...but that's a Tory thing!

And then it was that the revolutionaries discovered the shadow they had feared was the one they had cast all along.
    The level of religious fervour is quite something. It's so easy to poke fun at them in these terms from Jessiah to Jezbollah.

It's not so funny when they turn into an angry mob - wearing large beards or not.
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Given the abuse that Guardianistas have hurled at everyone else over the years, it rather serves them right that they're now on the receiving end.

There'll be a point in the future when humans' eating animals will be deemed utterly barbaric and incomprensible. Sadly. I'll not live to see the day.

3-0 to the City
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

roast? Boiled is best.

Amazing...

I .

Indeed. A wonderful appetiser with cold sherry or a chilled chip dry port. It's €10 for 70g! - we ended up spending about €80 JUST ON THAT HAM, in a week.

Yet it was worth it. One of the world's great culinary sensations.
    I counted 27 isms.

This is typical of the whole thing.
    We can argue about the small print of a programme and debate its intricacies in the manner of theologians poring over texts and catechisms. Of course that some want to be more concrete and some more vague about our beliefs than others
    edited August 2015
    tyson said:

There'll be a point in the future when humans' eating animals will be deemed utterly barbaric and incomprehensible.

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

Blinki

I bel
    roast? Boiled is best.
    Amazing...

I .

Indeed. A wonderful appetiser with cold sherry or a chilled chip dry port. It's €10 for 70g! - we ended up spending about €80 JUST ON THAT HAM, in a week.

Probably, it's a fairly common trope in sci-fi I believe and they are working on vat grown meat. We might not be that far away from it being viable and cost efficient I'd have thought.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 20m20 minutes ago

The Conservative party is a big tent Corbyn supporters, but not big enough for Harriet Harman, Gordon Brown or Liz Kendall, sorry

I wonder if Louise will ever re-appear in mainstream politics? Twitter and the like are all very well, and every now and then she makes the odd good remark, but it's all a bit lightweight.

The Tories shouldn't take any Corbyn refugees.

• JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    edited August 2015

Just been to Iceland, where the lamb is to die for! I've also had, in Yorkshire,, a shank covered in a light curry flavoured sauce which was delicious.

I didn't think much of Icelandic lamb, not enough flavour. Not as good as the Herdwick hogget chops you used to be able to get from Borough Market. And for Plato - try proper free range rare breed pork, from Ginger Pig (again Borough Market) try their Tamworth chops, a pound weight each and an inch of backfat. Sublime.
  • SeanT said:

Yes another example of the impartiality bred into BBC News staff.
    "Before being elected to the House of Commons he was a BBC News TV reporter for more than a decade starting out as a BBC News trainee, eventually becoming the BBC eastern region’s chief political reporter".
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

There'll be a point in the future when humans' eating animals will be deemed utterly barbaric and incomprehensible.

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

Blinki

I bel
    roast? Boiled is best.
    Amazing...

I .

Probably, it's a fairly common trope in sci-fi I believe and they are working on vat grown meat. We might not be that far away from it being viable and cost efficient I'd have thought.
    YUK!!!!!
    Mr. Omnium, well, this is just like that.

But in space!

Mr. kle4, the 'yuck' factor might put people off. Plus, what happens do the herds we have now? Will 99% of cows, pigs and so forth be massacred?

Such animals have, in survival terms, done hugely well out of being easily bred and delicious.

Mr. Tyson, animals are delicious. I fail to see the immorality of eating them, and the righteousness of eating plants, which are also alive.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    edited August 2015
    I don't know the PLP very well.

I find it hard to believe there are any likely Lab > Con switchers, but are there even one or two?
    Quite.
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

Blinki

I bel
    roast? Boiled is best.
    Amazing...

I .

YUK!!!!!
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

YUK!!!!!
    Don't worry, vat meat will be for the unwashed masses.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

But in space!

Mr. kle4, the 'yuck' factor might put people off. Plus, what happens do the herds we have now? Will 99% of cows, pigs and so forth be massacred?

Such animals have, in survival terms, done hugely well out of being easily bred and delicious.

Mr. Tyson, animals are delicious. I fail to see the immorality of eating them, and the righteousness of eating plants, which are also alive.

They'll just be bred in far fewer numbers. They won't have to be massacred for nothing (we'll just eat them!)
    edited August 2015
    Farming in space - nothing beats Silent Running - I cried at the ending SPOILER ALERT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_C5NIUu6FM

But in space!

But in space!

I'm hopeful we can create a synthetic meat that could replace traditional sources in ready meals, etc.

it'll take probably 20 years for the public to accept it, but there are plenty of entry points as long as it is significantly cheaper than the alternative.
    Miss Plato, must admit I've never even heard of that.
    Biden runs, Clinton goes to evens.

Obama then has a tough decision over his apparatus/staff.

I'll take that risk.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    Shocking news about Tom Bradby trying to save the person in Greece while others stood around doing nothing.
    edited August 2015

I find it hard to believe there are any likely Lab > Con switchers, but are there even one or two?

With the Carswell precedent that you trigger a by-election if you defect, an added complication is that most of the likely defectors are in very Tory-resistant seats. Umunna, Danczuk, Tristram Hunt and Kendall would have no chance of holding their seats as Tories. John Woodcock (referenced in the last thread header) would have a chance though.
    Huey, Dewey and Lewey the robots?

Oh, it's the most wonderful 70s sci-fi movie - the whole thing is on YTube.

Miss Plato, must admit I've never even heard of that.

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Tories according to Corbynites: Gordon Brown, Polly Toynbee, Dawn Butler.
    AndyJS said:

Shocking news about Tom Bradby trying to save the person in Greece while others stood around doing nothing.

By any chance, do you have a list of the declaration times for each constituency in 2015? I've been looking for one.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751
    Back on topic, this is what the New York Times' Ross Douthat thinks:
    "Any “Hillary Loses” scenario has to involve some extra-political event, some scandal beyond anything the Clintons have endured before. And here I’m afraid that I am a bit cynical: While the email scandal is a serious business, I simply do not believe that the Obama Justice Department is going to indict the former secretary of state and Democratic front-runner for mishandling classified information, even if the offenses involved would have sunk a lesser figure’s career or landed her in jail.

And to continue to wax cynical, I think it would take an indictment of Herself, not merely an investigation that ultimately finds a fall guy in Clinton’s IT team or even among her intimates, to turn Democratic primary voters against Hillary or force her from the race.

Because absent an indictment— or, I suppose, an email showing her deliberately accepting payola from Vladimir Putin — the email affair, no less than the shady Clinton Foundation dealings, looks like the kind of scandal that Clinton supporters have long conditioned themselves to justify: An inappropriate and self-interested episode, clumsily covered over, but at once murky and slow-dripping enough for Democratic partisans to shrug, say, “LOLBenghazi” and move on.

And if they prove me wrong? Well, save this column: Come the Gore Inaugural, you can make me eat my words."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/opinion/sunday/ross-douthat-hillarys-got-this.html?_r=0

So he's thinking of Gore as the alternative as well, although he's still convinced Hilary will win (or at least, is trying to convince himself, which may not be the same thing).
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    AndyJS said:

I have seen comments on the Guardian's website accusing Corbyn of being a Tory.
    Well Dawn Butler was endorsed by that evil Tory and American Obama...
    AndyJS said:

Humanity in a couple of hundred years, let alone five hundred or a thousand years from now is going to be incomprehensible to us now. Could Victorians even begin to get their head around the world as it is now.

I doubt very much that the mass production and butchering of sentient creatures will be part of our society. When you get your head around it, it is pretty damned horrific. I wonder how many links to abattoir videos, the cruelty and terror animals endure unnecessarily you could sit through.

It induces that same feeling of utter revulsion that I have when I watch anything about the holocaust for instance.

The taste for meat is easy to lose too. That is why it is all quite senseless.
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

Blinki

I bel
    roast? Boiled is best.
    Amazing...

MP_SE said:

AndyJS said:

Heavens above - who could possibly regard Corbyn as a Tory? An idiot playing into their hands, yes. A fellow-traveller, no. Or was this some surreal 'Marxism has failed because Mao and Stalin were not radical enough' meme?
    Miss Plato, ah, a little before my time.

[Unlike Alexander the Great, obviously :p ].
  • Danny565 said:

With the Carswell precedent that you trigger a by-election if you defect, an added complication is that most of the likely defectors are in very Tory-resistant seats. Umunna, Danczuk, Tristram Hunt and Kendall would have no chance of holding their seats as Tories. John Woodcock (referenced in the last thread header) would have a chance though.

I do not believe you seriously think any of those you have mentioned are even remotely likely to defect to the Tories. Please tell me I am right and that 60% of Labour supporters have not gone certifiably insane.

Vat meat sounds marginally less appetising than mechanically reclaimed.
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

YUK!!!!!
    Don't worry, vat meat will be for the unwashed masses.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Plato said:

Farming in space - nothing beats Silent Running

Wait until the Martian comes out, although I guess not everything in the book will be shown in the film
    Is Trotsky a veggie too?
    tyson said:

Humanity in a couple of hundred years, let alone five hundred or a thousand years from now is going to be incomprehensible to us now. Could Victorians even begin to get their head around the world as it is now.

I doubt very much that the mass production and butchering of sentient creatures will be part of our society. When you get your head around it, it is pretty damned horrific. I wonder how many links to abattoir videos, the cruelty and terror animals endure unnecessarily you could sit through.

It induces that same feeling of utter revulsion that I have when I watch anything about the holocaust for instance.

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

Blinki

I bel
    roast? Boiled is best.
    Amazing...

Danny565 said:

I do not believe you seriously think any of those you have mentioned are even remotely likely to defect to the Tories. Please tell me I am right and that 60% of Labour supporters have not gone certifiably insane.

Well, they are about to vote for Corbyn SO - not the sign of a political movement in perfect mental health, it has to be said.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    RodCrosby said:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/aug/15/jeremy-corbyn-campaign-scotland-corbynmania
    “There’s a trick to it all, though,” confides one of the Corbyn camp. “It’s supremely clever. It’s that it’s impossible to go off-message. Because there is no ‘message’ – there’s just Jeremy!”

'I asked him: did he accept – not necessarily apologise for, but accept – that his hinterland has meant unsavoury bedfellows? “There’s no denying that some people I have had to sit down with, both Israeli and Palestinian and from many other areas, have held personal views which are anathema to me, abhorrent to me. Does that mean we shouldn’t have sat down with them? It certainly doesn’t.”'

For the 100th time, the problem isn't that he's sitting down with these people. It's that he considers them his friends. The man is a sympathiser with theocratic terrorists. If Labour really want to be the party for the nastier Islamist types, then it can go ahead and put Corbyn as leader.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I didn't think much of Icelandic lamb, not enough flavour. Not as good as the Herdwick hogget chops you used to be able to get from Borough Market. And for Plato - try proper free range rare breed pork, from Ginger Pig (again Borough Market) try their Tamworth chops, a pound weight each and an inch of backfat. Sublime.
    Hogget is indeed delicious. The Ewes in the field next door to me have been bleating loudly all week. Their lambs went to the slaughterhouse this week.

I eat lamb, not just because of it being tasty but also because it is not intensively farmed, and always outdoor reared. I was vegetarian for a decade but started eating some meat shortly after foot and mouth. I had driven through the lake district at the height and seen the plumes of smoke and the empty hills. I didn't want to see the whole traditional uplands bare.

At lunch after church today there were many Corbyn supporters. There is a longing for idealism out there. I was reminded of the quote (I paraphrase):"the problem with athiesm is that once people cease to believe in god, they believe in anything". One New Labour ceased to deliver Labour governments, it ceased to stand for anything.

In the early eighties the swing to the left was driven by similar factors, with hatred for the Callaghan Healy axis for their compromises in power, which did not even bring the consolation of electoral success. It was 18 long years before we saw the need for an apparently sane centrist government.

To paraphrase Lord Grey from 1914 "the lights are going out all across the land, I fear we will not see them re-lit in my lifetime."
    I suspect you're missing Mr Crosby's alternative views on WW2.
    JEO said:

RodCrosby said:

For the 100th time, the problem isn't that he's sitting down with these people. It's that he considers them his friends. The man is a sympathiser with theocratic terrorists. If Labour really want to be the party for the nastier Islamist types, then it can go ahead and put Corbyn as leader.
    ydoethur said:

MP_SE said:

AndyJS said:

Heavens above - who could possibly regard Corbyn as a Tory? ?
    If you define 'Tory' as 'bad', then it's quite easy.

Though I've fallen in love with the splinter groups of the Left (the right really lets us all down on that score), especially since seeing this a month or so ago.

Trotskyism is a tool of the capitalists

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    My golden rule for eating animals is that I like to have known it when alive, and to know what its name was.

If I do - excellent.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Danny565 said:

I just don't want any metropolitan Eurofederalist flotsam joining our party. We need more working class views, not doubling down on the private school and Oxbridge educated.
  • kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

MP_SE said:

AndyJS said:

Heavens above - who could possibly regard Corbyn as a Tory? ?
    If you define 'Tory' as 'bad', then it's quite easy.

Though I've fallen in love with the splinter groups of the Left (the right really lets us all down on that score), especially since seeing this a month or so ago.

Trotskyism is a tool of the capitalists

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89
    I posted that on here :)

• Just been to Iceland, where the lamb is to die for! I've also had, in Yorkshire,, a shank covered in a light curry flavoured sauce which was delicious.

Hogget is indeed delicious. The Ewes in the field next door to me have been bleating loudly all week. Their lambs went to the slaughterhouse this week.

I eat lamb, not just because of it being tasty but also because it is not intensively farmed, and always outdoor reared. I was vegetarian for a decade but started eating some meat shortly after foot and mouth. I had driven through the lake district at the height and seen the plumes of smoke and the empty hills. I didn't want to see the whole traditional uplands bare.

At lunch after church today there were many Corbyn supporters. There is a longing for idealism out there. I was reminded of the quote (I paraphrase):"the problem with athiesm is that once people cease to believe in god, they believe in anything". One New Labour ceased to deliver Labour governments, it ceased to stand for anything.

In the early eighties the swing to the left was driven by similar factors, with hatred for the Callaghan Healy axis for their compromises in power, which did not even bring the consolation of electoral success. It was 18 long years before we saw the need for an apparently sane centrist government.

To paraphrase Lord Grey from 1914 "the lights are going out all across the land, I fear we will not see them re-lit in my lifetime."
    So he died before 11/11/1918?
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    ydoethur said:

MP_SE said:

AndyJS said:

Heavens above - who could possibly regard Corbyn as a Tory? An idiot playing into their hands, yes. A fellow-traveller, no. Or was this some surreal 'Marxism has failed because Mao and Stalin were not radical enough' meme?
    I suppose the comments are coming from loony lefties or trolls. There are a significant minority agreeing with the comments though. Very entertaining regardless of who is making them.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,919
    edited August 2015
    Plato said:

Is Trotsky a veggie too?

tyson said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

Blinki

evening.
    I bel
    roast? Boiled is best.
    Amazing...

Vegetarian teetotallers 4 Corbyn!
    edited August 2015

Danny565 said:

Tristram Hunt wouldn't surprise me tbh (were it not for the by-election complication) - I feel like he just wants to be a top politician and would jump parties if he felt it would advance his own prospects.

I wouldn't expect Chuka or Liz to though - I suspect Liz in particular is probably not as right-wing as she's come across in this campaign, but was very badly advised by Blair, Milburn et al who wanted to prove some kind of point to the party.
  • LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    No labour MP would have the cojones to defect to the tories. If Liz Kendall is shocked at the abuse she is getting now, then she hasn't seen anything yet. The threats and intimidation would be terrifying. Remember Falkirk?
  • AndyJS said:

Forgot to mention - last week my mum called Liz "a Bloody Tory" :lol:
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,879
    edited August 2015
    ydoethur said:

Danny565 said:

Well, they are about to vote for Corbyn SO - not the sign of a political movement in perfect mental health, it has to be said.

There's a difference between blind stupidity and madness. Not a huge one, but it does exist. You can come to your senses and stop being stupid. Insanity is a much harder condition to recover from.

No. But Trotsky spends alot of her time licking her ass and barking at cats. It doesn't mean I have to do the same.

I do not feed Trotsky anything from a tin, or a packet, or bag. It smells utterly gross, so god knows what they put into it.
    Plato said:

Is Trotsky a veggie too?

tyson said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

tyson said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Plato said:

notme said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

Plato said:

Disraeli said:

tyson said:

ydoethur said:

tyson said:

RobD said:

Blinki