Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 150/1 outsider for the Democratic Party nomination

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    AndyJS said:

Tories according to Corbynites: Gordon Brown, Polly Toynbee, Dawn Butler.

Red Dawn?

A Tory? You're having a laugh!

(or was that Dawn Primarolo?)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited August 2015

Mail reporting that Songs of Praise from Calais actually dispensed with the songs.

Aren't those songs usually described as hymns?

There were hymns on SoP tonight!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

I was a bit surprised that the Calais migrants were turning to Jesus. There are so many of them that they really need Moses.

Jesus could walk on water. Equally useful and wouldn't interrupt shipping.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited August 2015

SeanT said:

My S K Tremayne antennae are detecting a shiver in etherspace. A few prior Corbynista on Twitter are now saying they have doubts... Like tyson on here.

Will they come to their senses and save the party, just in time?

I've been saying for several days that the members that I know are mostly in two minds (all but two of them want to vote for Corbyn, and all but three are unsure what to do), and punters who've bet the house on Corbyn should look at a saver at the current long odds on offer on Cooper and Burnham, just in case. I think he'll win, and think it will be unhealthy for Labour if he loses by a sliver, but it's not quite a done deal.

Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of members wait a bit longer than they usually would before sending off the ballots. So the remaining few weeks of the campaign could be crucial.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Jezza as of right now, but well aware I might get cold feet so don't want to commit til the last minute.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

Tories according to Corbynites: Gordon Brown, Polly Toynbee, Dawn Butler.

Red Dawn?

A Tory? You're having a laugh!

(or was that Dawn Primarolo?)
    Red Dawn was Dawn Dimarolo.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    SeanT said:

My S K Tremayne antennae are detecting a shiver in etherspace. A few prior Corbynista on Twitter are now saying they have doubts... Like tyson on here.

Best f*cking not.
  • Options
    tyson said:

My golden rule with eating animals is that any creature that actively seems that it wants to stay alive, avoid being butchered, would rather run away, is fearful of imminent death is better left to live.

MattW said:

My golden rule for eating animals is that I like to have known it when alive, and to know what its name was.

If I do - excellent.

Since none of that applies to abattoir-slaughtered cattle in the US (in the aptly names Tyson Foods facilities) then I guess you are ok...
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Who controls when the ballots are being sent out btw ?

I've not received one yet...
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

I've been saying for several days that the members that I know are mostly in two minds (all but two of them want to vote for Corbyn, and all but three are unsure what to do), and punters who've bet the house on Corbyn should look at a saver at the current long odds on offer on Cooper and Burnham, just in case. I think he'll win, and think it will be unhealthy for Labour if he loses by a sliver, but it's not quite a done deal.

Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of members wait a bit longer than they usually would before sending off the ballots. So the remaining few weeks of the campaign could be crucial.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Jezza as of right now, but well aware I might get cold feet so don't want to commit til the last minute.
    Keep calm and vote for Jeremy.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    Moses_ said:

@ydoethur

No-one under 30 has had to live under 18 years of Thatcher and Major. They do not appreciate why New Labour was needed. The fact that Blair went bonkers, and Brown too, makes people forget how bad things were. Well, they are about to find out!

I suggest mr Ydoethur does not remember how bad it was during the union dominated 70's . Not for him doing homework by candle freezing your nuts off and getting transport strikes every other day under a Labour government finally running cap in hand to the IMF.

Other than that the only difference between the Labour years before Thatcher and the Nu Labour years after Thatcher was that the unburied bodies were due to union strikes in this country rather than due to air strikes in another.
    I was about during the 70's, running a small business and with a growing family. The lack of electricity was, IIRC, under Heath, and I really do notb recall transport strikes every other day. Yes, there were one or two, but they weren't a regular occurence.
    Again IIRC the "unburied bodies" were only on Merseyside.
    Not saying it was right that this happened, but it's uo there as fantasy with Churchill ordering the shooting of the miners when he was Home Secretary.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Moses_ said:

SeanT said:

The fallout if he doesn't win, compared to if he does, will be precisely the same. It's just a matter of the direction that the "spitting of the dummy" and cries of foul emanate.

Quite a stunning public performance from Labour even by their own "Whelk store" managerial standards.
    I disagree. Corbyn losing by a whisker will certainly be bad for the party, but it will be nowhere near as bad as if Corbyn wins. Burnham, even while having to placate the Left, will still be doing what he can to manouver in moderate young guns for future shadow cabinets. And the leftwingery will be kept, as much as possible, from the public eye.

Corbyn, on the other hand, will put a lot of hard leftists in the shadow cabinet. He will use the membership to force left wing policy decisions on the parliamentary party, forcing moderates to either adopt left wing positions they'll have to defend or publicly betray the membership. And he will refuse to condemn Hamas, the IRA etc in interviews.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

Who controls when the ballots are being sent out btw ?

I've not received one yet...

I got an e-mail on Friday saying mine had been despatched (though haven't received it yet).
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Best f*cking not.
    Surely you're forgetting Mammon's diktat that profit is all ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @politicshome: Recap: Despite Gordon Brown's intervention, bookmaker cuts odds on Jeremy Corbyn win to 2/7. http://t.co/7edBRkVS0s http://t.co/xWBs2gg0J9
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MattW said:

My golden rule for eating animals is that I like to have known it when alive, and to know what its name was.

If I do - excellent.

Alas, poor Fido!

I've done Dobbin.

I'd consider Fido.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I don't know the PLP very well.

I find it hard to believe there are any likely Lab > Con switchers, but are there even one or two?

With the Carswell precedent that you trigger a by-election if you defect, an added complication is that most of the likely defectors are in very Tory-resistant seats. Umunna, Danczuk, Tristram Hunt and Kendall would have no chance of holding their seats as Tories. John Woodcock (referenced in the last thread header) would have a chance though.

I do not believe you seriously think any of those you have mentioned are even remotely likely to defect to the Tories. Please tell me I am right and that 60% of Labour supporters have not gone certifiably insane.

Tristram Hunt wouldn't surprise me tbh (were it not for the by-election complication) - I feel like he just wants to be a top politician and would jump parties if he felt it would advance his own prospects.

I wouldn't expect Chuka or Liz to though - I suspect Liz in particular is probably not as right-wing as she's come across in this campaign, but was very badly advised by Blair, Milburn et al who wanted to prove some kind of point to the party.
    It would be very Churchillian, and he is a historian. Even with the labradooodle ambience.

• Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    I was born at the end of the seventies so obviously don't remember it, but everyone I speak to who was around loved those times. Seems like doing that period down is mainly a right wing loony thing.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Moses_ said:

@ydoethur

No-one under 30 has had to live under 18 years of Thatcher and Major. They do not appreciate why New Labour was needed. The fact that Blair went bonkers, and Brown too, makes people forget how bad things were. Well, they are about to find out!

I suggest mr Ydoethur does not remember how bad it was during the union dominated 70's . Not for him doing homework by candle freezing your nuts off and getting transport strikes every other day under a Labour government finally running cap in hand to the IMF.

Other than that the only difference between the Labour years before Thatcher and the Nu Labour years after Thatcher was that the unburied bodies were due to union strikes in this country rather than due to air strikes in another.
    I was about during the 70's, running a small business and with a growing family. The lack of electricity was, IIRC, under Heath, and I really do notb recall transport strikes every other day. Yes, there were one or two, but they weren't a regular occurence.
    Not saying it was right that this happened, but it's uo there as fantasy with Churchill ordering the shooting of the miners when he was Home Secretary.
    It was Callaghan hesitating in 78 to call an autumn election that did it. If the election had been before the winter of discontent then Maggie would have been only a footnote in history as the first female leader of a party, before being supplanted by someone else to take on Callaghan in 83. No SDP, no Falklands war, no miners strike. It could easily have been so.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633
    JWisemann said:

I was born at the end of the seventies so obviously don't remember it, but everyone I speak to who was around loved those times. Seems like doing that period down is mainly a right wing loony thing.

I'm sure a Tory will now say the same about the 80s. Personally, I was 4 years old when the 90s hit, so I don't remember the 70s or 80s, and frankly the hyperbolic emotional appeals around both, from opposite sides, make it hard for me to form a judgement on it. I do hope we are reaching the end of using Thatcher as a scare tactic though, as I cannot be scared by the mere name of someone I have no recollection living under, I'd need actual explanations of why I should be scared of a return to those days.

That's one reason I look forward to Corbyn as well - I have no experience of Foot, so if he is the new Foot, that could be quite illuminating, and I can see if that is indeed as bad a time as I am being told.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    I doubt there will be any jitters in the mass of UNITE comrades and Tories voting for Jezza.

If the votes are out tomorrow, probably be in the bag by Wednesday. The rest of the membership can spend as long as they like getting all wobbly and undecided. It won't make any difference.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

Have you ever considered the possibility that your acquaintances are a self selected bunch of stupid losers, what with you being one yourself?
    What's not to love about the stench of rotting garbage on the streets of London. Or only being able to work three-days a week and get your pay check cut accordingly? Look how much nicer London was in the 70s:
    http://static.businessinsider.com/image/5162d7ee69bedd877e00000a/image.jpg
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    JWisemann said:

Being a child of 1970, I remember clearly not going to school because they were shut due to strikes - not the teachers (for once, that came later during the 80s) but because the fuel oil drivers were out - and so the schools could not be heated.

I remember the images of the streets being filled with uncollected rubbish.

The 1970s were not heaven on earth for a whole range of reasons.
  • Options
    Blooming 'eck people are young on here!
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

In the late 1970s my parents decided they wanted to build a house.

So they bought a site.

First thing they had to do was to clear away the rubble.

From the previous house that was there.

And been bombed. 35 year earlier.

A generation. A generation and the site still hadn't been cleared. In Kensington for goodness sake!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Wiseman,

I was still voting in Labour in '79 and remember Callaghan as an avuncular uncle figure but the unions decided it was time to flex their muscles. So he was possibly the PM at the wrong time. Blame Harold for doing a bunk in '76 (although to be fair, his marbles were scattering)..

But I wouldn't say it was Labour's finest hour. You have some odd friends.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Moses_ said:

@ydoethur

It was Callaghan hesitating in 78 to call an autumn election that did it. If the election had been before the winter of discontent then Maggie would have been only a footnote in history as the first female leader of a party, before being supplanted by someone else to take on Callaghan in 83. No SDP, no Falklands war, no miners strike. It could easily have been so.
    The best Callaghan could have hoped for was a hung Parliament.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

@ydoethur

Agree 100%
    New Labour was not actually needed though! Labour would have won in 1997 on a repeat of the 1992 manifesto.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    The best things about the 70's (plenty of freedom for children to play, no political correctness, easy money to be made if you were a professional person, a right wing judiciary) aren't the sorts of things that would appeal to modern politicians.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

'Evil Tory bastard' is just a polite English turn of phrase.

Can you give an example to justify the phrase?

Tony Blair took us to war in Iraq on a lie he is (insert relevant phrase here)
    He's not a Tory though.
    Tory Blair?
    Yeah him. I know he's Labour's most successful voice ever, but that doesn't mean he's a Tory. I can see why you might think that though.
    But he is well to the right of people such as Macmillan- RA Butler - Iain Macleod - Ted Heath.
    William Hague has called him a Tory.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Charles- you just made me youtube Tyson abattoir out of curiosity. OMG- as said, the mass production of meat and the cruelty we inflict on animals is akin to what we have done to each other and elicits in me that same sense of revulsion.

This morning I was listening to the radio and couldn't believe the amount of negative comments that were directed at the BBC for undertaking Songs at Praise at the refugee centre at Calais. It is beyond belief that anyone would think this is a bad thing. Shame on those people, and I'm not a Christian. When you hear those type of revolting comments you can fully understand how something like the holocaust could happen in a so called civilised country.
    Charles said:

tyson said:

My golden rule with eating animals is that any creature that actively seems that it wants to stay alive, avoid being butchered, would rather run away, is fearful of imminent death is better left to live.

MattW said:

If I do - excellent.

Since none of that applies to abattoir-slaughtered cattle in the US (in the aptly names Tyson Foods facilities) then I guess you are ok...
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

Have you ever considered the possibility that your acquaintances are a self selected bunch of stupid losers, what with you being one yourself?
    What's not to love about the stench of rotting garbage on the streets of London. Or only being able to work three-days a week and get your pay check cut accordingly? Look how much nicer London was in the 70s:
    You have to see photos of London in the late 70s, and early 80s, to realise quite how depressing it was (if you weren't there)

http://spitalfieldslife.com/2011/06/19/colin-obriens-brick-lane-market/

I was there. I remember.

You just need to compare the Peckham in the early years of Only Fools and Horses with the art studios there today.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

lol - spot on :)
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2015
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

Can you imagine how a modern economy would cope with regular weekly blackouts? With TV finishing at 10:30? Non essential commercial electricity usage limited to three consecutive days only. And the inflation!

High inflation is not something that even really flickers in peoples minds, who have not experienced it. 25% inflation.

We live in an economy in which certain things we expect to get cheaper, or to not really increase in price. Things like white goods, electronic goods etc dont really increase in price, we just get more advanced model for the same price or slightly less.

We moan when groceries creep up three to five percent. Try everything going up by 25% in one year. If your wage doesnt go up (or pension) you are screwed.

A modern equivalent of shutting down TV studios would be the internet getting switched off to save energy. How would they tweet their support for socialism then?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Justin,

Even Jezza could have won (just) in 1997. The sight of Lamont stuttering in front of the cameras and interest rates rising 5% in a fruitless attempt to stem then tide did for the Tories.

Then again, maybe not. The Tories were doomed but there was always the LDs, the Greens and the Loony party to beat. And the latter would have dead-heated with a Jezza-led Labour.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Sean_F said:

The best things about the 70's (plenty of freedom for children to play, no political correctness, easy money to be made if you were a professional person, a right wing judiciary) aren't the sorts of things that would appeal to modern politicians.

A rightwing Church of England who are now left of the labour party,heard a vicar on radio this morning on about his support for the song of praise programme from Calais.

No wonder the church of England is dying on its ar*e.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Good things about the 1970s:
    Being a teenager with knees that worked! :)
    The summer of 1975
    The death of bell-bottomed jeans.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    I saw Bug's Life recently with my kids.
    There was a scene that threw me out of the movie and made me think:"It's the Labour Party!"

It's the one where a fly is buzzing towards a fly-killer light and his friend was screaming "No! Don't do it!"

"I can't help it! It's so beautiful..."

ZAP
  • Options
    Mr Cooke,

Spot on.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I saw Bug's Life recently with my kids.
    There was a scene that threw me out of the movie and made me think:"It's the Labour Party!"

It's the one where a fly is buzzing towards a fly-killer light and his friend was screaming "No! Don't do it!"

"I can't help it! It's so beautiful..."

ZAP

Well, to build on that metaphor, there's a similar scene in 'Wreck it Ralph' with a character flying toward a light that will kill it, only it's effectively has two personalities at that point, so as it gets closer it alternates between yearning for the light and crying out in panic but helpless to prevent the momentum, which probably fits the scenario of Labour even better.

Unless it turns out Corbyn and co will capture the public imagination after all.
  • Options
    From 1974 -1978 there was actually very little industrial strife - very different to the Heath Government of the early to mid-70s and the Winter of Discontent right at the end.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

A rightwing Church of England who are now left of the labour party,heard a vicar on radio this morning on about his support for the song of praise programme from Calais.

You are joking Tyke, surely. What do you think the CoE should be doing? Performing a service in Calais, giving these people hope, is not left wing. It is surely a compassionate christian thing. You people, you make me ashamed you know to be a human being.
  • Options
    MTimT,

Summer of 1976 surely? My wife gave birth at the end of July and I remember it being steaming hot in London.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

Isn't that Detroit in the 2010s? :)
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sean_F said:

You are joking Tyke, surely. What do you think the CoE should be doing? Performing a service in Calais, giving these people hope, is not left wing. It is surely a compassionate christian thing. You people, you make me ashamed you know to be a human being.
    Good.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

I am leaning towards Jezza and what my ballots quick before i get cold feet
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Not sure if Watson will be beaten but I'm hearing lots of Corbynites advocating Angela Eagle for their deputy vote. That'd certainly rub some more salt in the wound.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

I am leaning towards Jezza and what my ballots quick before i get cold feet
    SPandBJO4JC
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Sean_F said:

Surely compassion, even if it may not resolve the causes of Calais, is what a church should be all about? I take a pretty cold, hard line on the migrant situation despite sympathy for those yearning for a better life (as principally they appear to be economic migrants not asylum seekers), but I'd probably feel worse about my stance if others weren't trying something, even if it doesn't help the underlying causes.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

You have to see photos of London in the late 70s, and early 80s, to realise quite how depressing it was (if you weren't there)

I was there. I remember.

I was in Bristol 1977-80 (race riots), then London 1980-82 (all the buildings still smog black and depressing). Yemen 1982-85 was not such a cultural shock then as it would be now.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

I was there. I remember.

I was in Bristol 1977-80 (race riots), then London 1980-82 (all the buildings still smog black and depressing). Yemen 1982-85 was not such a cultural shock then as it would be now.
    Ferguson, MO had race riots this year.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Says you,who told us all these migrants in Italy were frightening the Italian old folk and these migrants would be better off over here,where's your humanity Tyson me old mate.
  • Options
    Pauly,

A Corbyn/Eagle ticket in 2020? The referee would have to stop the contest to save the party taking further punishment.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Surely compassion, even if it may not resolve the causes of Calais, is what a church should be all about?

A church is (supposed to be) about spreading the message of Jesus; compassion is a by-product.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Most of the economic and technical change associated with the 80s began in the 70s. It was a hugely creative time.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

MTimT,

Summer of 1976 surely? My wife gave birth at the end of July and I remember it being steaming hot in London.

Typo, meant 1976. No water in the house, having to bring sufficient for toilet flushing by bucket. Didn't mind that in exchange for a real summer.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    MTimT said:

CD13 said:

MTimT,

Typo, meant 1976. No water in the house, having to bring sufficient for toilet flushing by bucket. Didn't mind that in exchange for a real summer.
    The year and month of my birth.... I was born in a homeless shelter july 1976.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Surely compassion, even if it may not resolve the causes of Calais, is what a church should be all about?

A church is (supposed to be) about spreading the message of Jesus; compassion is a by-product.

Compassion is part of the message of Jesus, surely
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Surely compassion, even if it may not resolve the causes of Calais, is what a church should be all about? I take a pretty cold, hard line on the migrant situation despite sympathy for those yearning for a better life (as principally they appear to be economic migrants not asylum seekers), but I'd probably feel worse about my stance if others weren't trying something, even if it doesn't help the underlying causes.
    You know what I did find out,that constructed church in the Calais camp as a fence round it,they asked why on the radio this morning and the answer was Protection from others in the camp.
  • Options

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

I was there. I remember.

History repeating itself. Amazingly, Detroit seems to be having the first green shoots of a revival. It is extraordinary how far from grace that city fell from its heydays.

http://www.businessinsider.com/detroits-golden-age-in-photos-2013-7
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Charles said:

JWisemann said:

In the late 1970s my parents decided they wanted to build a house.

So they bought a site.

First thing they had to do was to clear away the rubble.

From the previous house that was there.

And been bombed. 35 year earlier.

A generation. A generation and the site still hadn't been cleared. In Kensington for goodness sake!
    The nice Georgian house my Dad was born in, in 1928, has remained a bomb-site since 1940.
    https://goo.gl/maps/BghEa
    Liverpool has tons of such places...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

I was there. I remember.

The one *good* thing about London in the 70s and early 80s was that it was intensely atmospheric, in a way impossible to imagine now. From desolate Kings Cross to derelict Wapping to the bitter emptiness of Docklands. Poetically bleak. And great for writers looking to chill.

Peter Ackroyd captured its eerie melancholy quite superbly in Hawksmoor.

The opulence of central London and gritty vivacity of even the worst parts of outer London is much less helpful to writers seeking a moody location.

Apart from that, yeah, London sucked from 1970-1984. Then Thatcher began the big turnaround. The population started growing again in 1985 IIRC, and has never looked back.
    I dislike London, because i prefer a more civil country life, but thats just me. However its hard not to feel the infectious energy that comes from it. It seems to be perpetually reinventing itself, in a way that i suspect many had thought wouldnt happen.

You have more experience travelling than most of us, would you agree that London shares the energy and vigour that you get in many of the tiger economies?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,826
    Evening all :)

The 70s - if you remember them, you couldn't have been there ? No, that was the 60s.

The 70s encompassed my teenage years - I remember doing my homework by candlelight in early 1974 because of the power cuts and having to watch Midlands Today as the London studio was blacked out.

I remember paying 3p for a Mars bar and getting 20p as my first pocket money. I remember we couldn't play sport in the autumn of 1976 because the ground was baked hard.

I became a Liberal because I was convinced the Conservatives and Labour were as bad as each other - I still think that.
  • Options

Being serious for a moment, the winter of discontent ensured a Tory Government which lasted 13 years. A union-backed Jezza would ensure a Tory government for as long as he stayed in place. Note the common denominator (and I was a union rep until I retired).

If Jezza gets in (he won't), then Lord Grey would look a cock-eyed optimist.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

I was there. I remember.

History repeating itself. Amazingly, Detroit seems to be having the first green shoots of a revival. It is extraordinary how far from grace that city fell from its heydays.

http://www.businessinsider.com/detroits-golden-age-in-photos-2013-7
    America is a country that has the capacity and power to regenerate like no other nation. It is a remarkable place with a remarkable people. It aint going to lose top dog nation status anytime soon. We are not witnessing the end of American superpower.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

Says you,who told us all these migrants in Italy were frightening the Italian old folk and these migrants would be better off over here,where's your humanity Tyson me old mate.
    Mr Tyson has already said we should open the gates and let them all in ....posting from Errr .....Italy
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Most of the economic and technical change associated with the 80s began in the 70s. It was a hugely creative time.

Yeah, it happened in desperate reaction to the squalor and failure of socialism, you festering nitwit. Thatcherism was forged in the 70s. The idea that This Cannot Continue.

The 80s were intellectually and culturally sterile in comparison. In the end they delivered Jive Bunny and John Major.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Quite - I meant the practical things a church should be about, as a reflection of their 'mission'.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    JWisemann said:

I think your friends have a poor recollection. The 70s were a strife filled decade, and not just in the UK.

You've got the end of the Vietnam War and a refugees crisis. Nixon and Waterage. Cambodia. Many major terrorist attacks including Munich in 72, the Iran hostage crisis, numerous hijackings, and it all kicking off in Northern Ireland. Jonestown. Three Mile Island. Rhodesia. Cultural revolution, death of Mao, the Gang of Four. The Yom Kippur war. 73 oil crisis. Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. India and Pakistan fighting over Bangladesh. Lebanon. The Cold War is of course still going and quite chilly at this time as well. 79 oil shock. Amin in Uganda. Massive earthquake in China. All kinds of economic problems across the world, but the West in particular felt like it was really on the ropes at times.

I think most people were glad to see the back of the decade.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I cannot get my head around someone who could possibly think performing and publicising a religious service to desperate people is wrong.

My comments about Italy were simply challenging the myth that all the immigrants are going to the UK. Many more tens of thousands are here in Italy grafting an existence. In England, groups of immigrants congregating around supermarkets would be blasted across the Mail; instead Italy is coping as best it can.

Never has little Englander been more appropriate; England is fast turning into a reactionary, pathetic, mean spirited, narrow minded, bigoted, racist country because that is the mindset of the government and their champions in the press. We are led by men of little stature and character who gravitate to the lowest common denominator in their bid to court popularity.

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

• Options
    tyson said:

I cannot get my head around someone who could possibly think performing and publicising a religious service to desperate people is wrong.

My comments about Italy were simply challenging the myth that all the immigrants are going to the UK. Many more tens of thousands are here in Italy grafting an existence. In England, groups of immigrants congregating around supermarkets would be blasted across the Mail; instead Italy is coping as best it can.

Never has little Englander been more appropriate; England is fast turning into a reactionary, pathetic, mean spirited, narrow minded, bigoted, racist country because that is the mindset of the government and their champions in the press. We are led by men of little stature and character who gravitate to the lowest common denominator in their bid to court popularity.

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

I agree with you re this religious service in Calais business, but England really is not changing to the extent you think, it certainly is not more bigoted and racist than it used to be, even if there are flare ups.
  • Options
    William_H said:

kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

Compassion is part of the message of Jesus, surely
    Letting go of one's ego; recognising you will never solve your own failings yourself; accepting Jesus died in your place (if you accept it); is the message of Jesus.

Then change can happen and becoming more compassionate to others is part of that. Trying to do it the other way around is putting the cart before the horse.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The 70s had good music and awful clothes. The weather was great in 1976 - I can remember the Tarmac softening in the sun. We had power shortages caused by strikes.

My mum's friend Michelle cooked risotto and I can remember thinking "that's so exotic". We had three TV channels and I was envious of my cousin Phil having an Atari games console that he could play Pong on.

The 70s were OK but looking back they were so parochial.
  • Options
    The Tories who can remember the times before Mrs Thatcher are entitled to say,
    "We didn't start the fire
    It was always burning
    Since the world's been turning
    We didn't start the fire
    No we didn't light it
    But we tried to fight it"
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

How many should England take? Seriously how many? The ones in Calais? The ones on the way to Calais.? The entire continent of Africa and half the Middle East? ........ With the exception of genuine asylum seekers once you start taking economic migrants they simply won't stop.

So How many?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    glw said:

JWisemann said:

I think your friends have a poor recollection. The 70s were a strife filled decade, and not just in the UK.

You've got the end of the Vietnam War and a refugees crisis. Nixon and Waterage. Cambodia. Many major terrorist attacks including Munich in 72, the Iran hostage crisis, numerous hijackings, and it all kicking off in Northern Ireland. Jonestown. Three Mile Island. Rhodesia. Cultural revolution, death of Mao, the Gang of Four. The Yom Kippur war. 73 oil crisis. Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. India and Pakistan fighting over Bangladesh. Lebanon. The Cold War is of course still going and quite chilly at this time as well. 79 oil shock. Amin in Uganda. Massive earthquake in China. All kinds of economic problems across the world, but the West in particular felt like it was really on the ropes at times.

I think most people were glad to see the back of the decade.
    Watergate, punk rock, Begin, Reagan, Palestine, terror on the airline, Ayatollahs in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan
  • Options
    "Never has little Englander been more appropriate; England is fast turning into a reactionary, pathetic, mean spirited, narrow minded, bigoted, racist country because that is the mindset of the government and their champions in the press."

Be fair, Mr Tyson, you are living in Italy. I'm sure the Calais migrants are a mixture of people. Predominantly economic migrants with some asylum seekers plus the odd Islamic nutter.

If the church has to be fenced off, I assume it's not the French population that is the trouble.

The economic migrants may have a rose-tinted view of the UK, but I'm sure you'll put them straight.

Like most Britons, I'd be happy to have those who want to make a positive contribution. Not sure that open borders will automatically achieve that.
  • Options
    I hope you are right about England. But the role of political leaders is to lead. It doesn't help when you have Cameron and Hammond using that kind of language; Renzi, Merkel, Hollande, Obama- no major world political leader with any character would use that kind of language to describe fellow human beings.
    kle4 said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

I agree with you re this religious service in Calais business, but England really is not changing to the extent you think, it certainly is not more bigoted and racist than it used to be, even if there are flare ups.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited August 2015
    Moses_ said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

How many should England take? Seriously how many? The ones in Calais? The ones on the way to Calais.? The entire continent of Africa and half the Middle East? ........ With the exception of genuine asylum seekers once you start taking economic migrants they simply won't stop.

So How many?
    Exactly. So many know where to start. But where does it end?
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

I was there. I remember.

The one *good* thing about London in the 70s and early 80s was that it was intensely atmospheric, in a way impossible to imagine now. From desolate Kings Cross to derelict Wapping to the bitter emptiness of Docklands. Poetically bleak. And great for writers looking to chill.
    Peter Ackroyd captured its eerie melancholy quite superbly in Hawksmoor.The opulence of central London and gritty vivacity of even the worst parts of outer London is much less helpful to writers seeking a moody location.
    Apart from that, yeah, London sucked from 1970-1984. Then Thatcher began the big turnaround. The population started growing again in 1985 IIRC, and has never looked back.
    Stanley Kubrick used London's docklands as a stand in for bombed out Hue in Full Metal Jacket. Amazingly realistic.
    War ravaged Vietnamese countryside? Kent.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

I was there. I remember.

Peter Ackroyd captured its eerie melancholy quite superbly in Hawksmoor.

The opulence of central London and gritty vivacity of even the worst parts of outer London is much less helpful to writers seeking a moody location.

I do recall going to a pub in the Docklands in 1980-81 and being appalled at the squalor in that part of London. I came from an educated but lowish-income family, who ate broiler chicken, rabbit and mackerel mostly for protein as it was cheaper than 'meat', had one pair of shoes, and very few sets of clothes, so it wasn't that I was shocked due to an opulent family life.
  • Options
    London in the 70s was harsh, tough, violent, bleak and exciting. London Calling by The Clash came out at the start of the 80s, but it captures the atmosphere back then perfectly. Islington, Camden Town, Kentish Town, Finsbury Park and various other places were dangerous after dark, but so much was going on; and it was all affordable. It was a great time to grow up. I moved from 6 to 16 and had a rare old time. The power cuts I remember clearly, the strikes much less so. I do remember we got our first colour telly and I remember eating my first pizza, lasagna and kebab. All totally exotic and slightly incomprehensible. It was 25 pence to get into White Hart Lane to watch the first ever non-Brits to play for Spurs (Ossie and Ricky), it was a few quid to see the Jam at the Rainbow or the Undertones at the Venue and all kinds of bands at the Marquee. You could smoke fags on the top floor of the bus and in the second carriage on the tube. The music was great, the girls were exciting, the West End was full of stuff you couldn't get anywhere else. I could go on, but you grt the picture.
  • Options
    You bunch of old gits.

I'm too young to remember the 70s, I'm more a child of the 80s if you hadn't realised from my musical tastes.
  • Options
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

I love you too.

How do you know how many migrants coming to Britain,when you just go on asylum figures.

I can tell you pal,where I live ,the number of poor unskilled economic migrants have shot up to alarming levels.I'll let you know something Tyson,these people are here to stay because they own countries don't want them.

On Italy,it's Italy fault if they keep bringing them in and not deporting economic migrants,my advice,get tough Italy.
  • Options

You bunch of old gits.

I'm too young to remember the 70s, I'm more a child of the 80s if you hadn't realised from my musical tastes.

"taste". LOL.

[I :heart: 80s music too]
  • Options
    "You bunch of old gits."

You ain't heard nuffin yet ...

"Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see Frank Randall at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.

We'd lots o' things in them days they 'aven't got today - rickets, diptheria, Hitler and my, we did look well goin' to school wi' no backside in us trousers an' all us little 'eads painted purple because we 'ad ringworm.

They don't know they're born today."
  • Options
    Once seen, you will never be able to unsee it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwEEunEgSeY&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/fling-mud-if-you-must-but-dont-call-jeremy-corbyn-an-antisemite-10458261.html
    "The right, Blairites and hard Zionists have formed the most unholy of alliances to slay the reputation of the next likely leader of the Labour Party. They thought he was a bit-part player, but he has unexpectedly became the front-runner; now every political trick in the book is being used in an attempt bring him down. I hope honest democrats see through the contemptible tactics. If Corbyn is an anti-Semite, I am a white supremacist..."
  • Options

You bunch of old gits.

TSE- the 70's was fantastic. Bowl headed haircuts, Carry on Movies, cars that always broke down, the birth of pot noodles, slade, 10CC and Grease, Bjon Borg, the endless summer of 76, Pans People, black and white TV, Tony Jacklin, following Scotland at world cup finals cause England always got knocked out, crappy porn mags that got so passed around the sticky pages fell apart- those were the days. And they were the days.
  • Options

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

I was there. I remember.

Peter Ackroyd captured its eerie melancholy quite superbly in Hawksmoor.The opulence of central London and gritty vivacity of even the worst parts of outer London is much less helpful to writers seeking a moody location.
    Stanley Kubrick used London's docklands as a stand in for bombed out Hue in Full Metal Jacket. Amazingly realistic.
    War ravaged Vietnamese countryside? Kent.
    Not Docklands per se - Beckton Gas Works, just downstream
  • Options

You bunch of old gits.

"taste". LOL.

[I :heart: 80s music too]
    80s for me too, man!
  • Options

tyson said:

Sean_F said:

So How many?

Exactly. So many know where to start. But where does it end?

how much should we turn a blind eye to illegal activities and entering countries illegally?
    Why do these poor people pay thousands traffickers to bring them to Europe
    If they are poor how have they got thousands?
    Why have they not stopped in the first safe country? ( even Italy)
    Why are they willing life and limb under lorries and on the back of ferries to cross the channel?
    Why do they not see socialist France as a safe country and prefer to live in tents than register?
    We have seen the fighting on Kos why are we wrong to wish to prevent such scenes in Dover, ti bridge wells , the streets of London?

Those are just the most basic questions. Nothing to do with pulling up drawbridges ......why here? We have aright to know who enters the country and why. When I travelled or work I commonly require a sponsor it can take weeks to get visas I have to be financially supported and have a return ticket in hand to make sure I go home after.

The ironic thing is these entry requirements are from the very countries many of these people are coming from.
  • Options
    [swaggering] I've visited every National Rail, Underground, DLR and Tramlink station in London, man! All 661 of them!
  • Options
    Just got my Labour leadership ballot paper

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMjtC2ZWIAQNK7b.jpg
  • Options
    SeanT - if you thought London was bleak in the early 80s you should have seen Birmingham. I moved there in 83 to go to university and it was an unbelievably miserable, dour place. Smokeless chimnies, disused factories, grimy toer blocks, filthy canals, ring roads, grey, heads down, get home, dream of somewhere else. It was another, much more depressing, country.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153

Omnium said:

I actually bought a Morning Star on Friday.

Go on, say that again with a straight face!

Disappointed there were no breasts on page 7!!

(awaits witty comment from hilarious PB Tory that the paper is full of Tits)
    Mr BJO: naughty!
    MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

JWisemann said:

I was there. I remember.

Good heavens. I was in Bristol then too. Were you at the university?

• Options
    Dozens of Labour staff members and Shadow Cabinet aides could be dismissed within hours of Jeremy Corbyn winning the party’s leadership, it has emerged.

The Independent understands that large numbers of Labour staff members are on contracts that expire the day after the new leader is elected. This means Mr Corbyn and his new shadow cabinet team will have a completely free hand at choosing who works for the party, with little or no legal obligation to existing staff.

Labour aides, who have worked for the party for the past five years, fear those around the new leader will use the opportunity to “purge” party HQ of those considered to be on the right, and replace them with people whose views are more in tune with the new leader. Other staff members intend to leave of their own volition and are understood to be already sending out their CVs in anticipation of a Corbyn victory.

http://ind.pn/1K0rmy9
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited August 2015
    Betting post

Time to start laying Corbyn. Mandy is plotting to scupper Corbyn

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/633018351804137472
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @StefanCross1: @JohnRentoul @IssyFlamel he also has to field a frontbench in The Lords. Who are the corbynite peers?