Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Corbyn price on Betfair edges out a touch following com

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    john_zims said:

@JEO

'Just look at Vicky Pryce, who is back on the BBC with an expert gig, despite being a convicted criminal.'

What's Pryce doing on the BBC ?

Earning money, I guess.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,910

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Just got an email from Redbridge Labour urging me to back Sadiq!

I do hope you'll follow their advice. Have you received your email link yet comrade btw ?
    Um, while I'm working in the Midlands, my snail mail is currently in Ilford, will have to wait till Friday to open it. But I can wait three days :)
    You won't be getting it in the snail mail, Dr Prasannan -

http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/havent-received-your-ballot-yet

For Registered Supporters (supporters who have paid £3 to register themselves):

You will receive an email containing a link and two-part security details to vote online. You will only be able to vote online.
    Oh in that case - no I haven't received one! How about you, Comrade Pulpstar?
    Not yet. I'll "like" Labour and David Miliband on Facebook for the moment to increase my chances of getting through Harriet's inquisition.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''All the other parties will be desperate for a conference-season scalp, that much is certain.''

Personally I can't see beyond a major split if Corbyn wins. I just don;t see some guys hanging around. In 1979 it was worth it. Now it just isn't.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I do hope you'll follow their advice. Have you received your email link yet comrade btw ?
    Um, while I'm working in the Midlands, my snail mail is currently in Ilford, will have to wait till Friday to open it. But I can wait three days :)

You will receive an email containing a link and two-part security details to vote online. You will only be able to vote online.
    Not yet. I'll "like" Labour and David Miliband on Facebook for the moment to increase my chances of getting through Harriet's inquisition.
    Just read that late signers-up (like yours truly!) may not get their emails till "late August".
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    I hear constantly from the Labour supporters of my acquaintance that it has to be Corbyn, because the other three are:

a) Hopeless:
    b) Unprincipled Tory-lite chancers in the ilk of Blair;

They are happy to accept Corbyn even though they know he too is likely to be hopeless, but at least there are some principles involved.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Just read that late signers-up (like yours truly!) may not get their emails till "late August".
    I signed up at 2:50 pm...
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106

Pulpstar said:

What's a mere three days when the Empire that you about to build under Comrade Jezza will last for eternity!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Miss Plato, I do wonder if it might affect turnout, and who that might benefit.
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

Pulpstar said:

What's a mere three days when the Empire that you about to build under Comrade Jezza will last for eternity!
    As I'm only a £3-er, looks like I'll just get an email!
  • Options
    Mr. Disraeli, only by mining coal and refusing to burn it can prosperity be achieved!
  • Options
    Plato said:

Superb.

ttps://twitter.com/jakegoretzki/status/632587261738131456

Vegetarians 4 Corbyn! :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

I signed up at 2:50 pm...
    I signed up on the 11th, so hopefully my email will beat yours :p
  • Options

I read that in September HMtQ will open a new railway in Scotland and will travel on it, in a steam train built in 1937 and called the "Union of South Africa".

It might be just me, but there is something not quite right about this event that I just can't put my finger on.

Oh, an A4. Well, at least it's prototypical as they used to work the route. Although as they're an express passenger train, and the new line is just a single-track branch, I'd much prefer a grimy Class 5. :)

The Scottish government deserves some credit for the reopening of the line. Although I hope it;s been built to a better standard than the Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine link, which is having to be rebuilt just a few years after it was reopened ...
    Forgot to mention - latest bit of British railway traversed for me: Ashford to Dover on Saturday. First visit to Dover in five years, and the first by train rather than car.
    Does that include the Folestone to Dover line? ISTR that was closed throughout the war after a massive landslide.

I hope you're enjoying your trips. You're certainly covering the network quickly. Have you ever considered getting a whole-network rover and doing a Lord Adonis?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,717

tyson said:

Sorry to repeat, but this was my reply to my good chum Pulps from the previous thread who is asking me if I've had a Dan Hodges conversion.

I guess I have Pulps. The Corbyn factor has stimulated some kind of deep rooted post traumatic stress syndrome for me that has just hit me like a bolt of unwanted lightning. I suddenly remember the 1980's- the branch meetings, Trots talking utter shyte, arguing for endless hours over the wording of some resolution or other.

The Trots are a pain in the bloody arse. And mostly as thick as pig shit- they don't listen to anything. They read the Communist Manifesto and got indoctrinated without questioning anything else. But worse they made any party gathering about as fun as spending three hours sticking needles in your eyes.

And now- the Trots are back. I cannot believe it. Arghhhhh.........

Tyson!

You should know that Trotskyism is a tool of the Capitalists!!

http://www.cpgb-ml.org/index.php?secName=leaflets&subName=display&leafletId=89

I will never tire of that.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

I hear constantly from the Labour supporters of my acquaintance that it has to be Corbyn, because the other three are:

a) Hopeless:
    b) Unprincipled Tory-lite chancers in the ilk of Blair;

They are happy to accept Corbyn even though they know he too is likely to be hopeless, but at least there are some principles involved.

Better to VOTE on our feet than live on our knees! :lol:
  • Options

Disraeli said:

Pulpstar said:

What's this? Two classes of voter? All voters are equal. But some are more equal than others.

it is just as I feared Comrade. Corbyn needs to sweep away the existing bourgeois Party rules and with them the kulak Tory infiltrators.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,247
    edited August 2015
    Disraeli said:

Disraeli said:

Pulpstar said:

What's this? Two classes of voter? All voters are equal. But some are more equal than others.

it is just as I feared Comrade. Corbyn needs to sweep away the existing bourgeois Party rules and with them the kulak Tory infiltrators.
    Trotskyism is a tool of the Capitalists! Leninism is a weapon for the workers!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Kinnock and Hattersley were the dream ticket, Corbyn and Khan would be the suicide ticket.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Plato said:

The spat between Cooper and Burnham today is hilarious. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4530629.ece

Yvette has gone down in my opinion for this ridiculous "sexism" accusation. It is hardly unreasonable to say she would be politically associated with someone she's married to. Jeb Bush is getting ribbed right now for his brother's record, is that also sexism?
    I can see why she has been bland for years.

She is shite at confrontational politics.

Lost a potential 2nd pref from me about a week ago.

Jezza only for me if my ballots ever arrive
    Another happy byproduct of this fantastic election is that it has managed to make all non-Corbyn candidates look ridiculous and/or feeble, especially the only ones who might just win if Corbyn fails - Cooper and Burnham

Burnham in particular has come across as a sad and desperate pub stripper, wiling to endure any humiliation for another couple of pound coins in the pint glass.
    Because they are ridiculous and feeble; if they hadn't been, then Brown would not have allowed them to remain in positions where they were a threat.

Labour will have to wait for the class of 2010 or 2015 to get more experience to get their next good leader.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Mr. Disraeli, only by mining coal and refusing to burn it can prosperity be achieved!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-cL_y2cIEzoE/UTZAx-Zs8BI/AAAAAAAABYA/8nOGCsndKjg/s400/keynes.jpg
  • Options

If only Tim was still with us:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33973394

Do they sell Paprika Pringles behind the fish counter at Morrisons?

I knew there was a reason I was well disposed toward Cameron - I am oft mocked for my inordinate love of Paprika Pringles. Good man.
    Though Cooper wins out on the biscuit choice.
  • Options
    Mr. Price, that remains of the Keynes Vs Hayek rap battles.

Mr. Jessop, perhaps. As Mr. T observed on Twitter, Labour do appear to be embarking on a mission to always replace their old leader with someone worse.
  • Options

Disraeli said:

Disraeli said:

Pulpstar said:

Trotskyism is a tool of the Capitalists! Leninism is a weapon for the workers!
    Quite right Comrade Sunil. I knew that I could rely on you to help smash the running dogs of the Blairite revisionist clique! :grin:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Pulpstar said:

Greetings comrades. Just to say, I have cast my votes:

1. JC, 2. EC, 3. AB, 4. LK
    1. CF, 2. SC. 3. TW, 4. BB, 5. AE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06jlgpMtQs
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Ry2wtYVZY
    and where's the PB Tory thousand year reich anthem?... *innocent face*
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I read that in September HMtQ will open a new railway in Scotland and will travel on it, in a steam train built in 1937 and called the "Union of South Africa".

It might be just me, but there is something not quite right about this event that I just can't put my finger on.

Oh, an A4. Well, at least it's prototypical as they used to work the route. Although as they're an express passenger train, and the new line is just a single-track branch, I'd much prefer a grimy Class 5. :)

The Scottish government deserves some credit for the reopening of the line. Although I hope it;s been built to a better standard than the Stirling-Alloa-Kincardine link, which is having to be rebuilt just a few years after it was reopened ...
    Forgot to mention - latest bit of British railway traversed for me: Ashford to Dover on Saturday. First visit to Dover in five years, and the first by train rather than car.
    Does that include the Folestone to Dover line? ISTR that was closed throughout the war after a massive landslide.

I hope you're enjoying your trips. You're certainly covering the network quickly. Have you ever considered getting a whole-network rover and doing a Lord Adonis?
    I'm still working, man! Maybe I'm doing this 20 years too early! Still I've done almost everything in the SE and the Midlands, and a couple of outposts in Yorks., the NW and Scotland. And Bristol. Haven't touched Wales or the rest of the SW, yet. Plus East Anglia and the NE.

The Folkestone to Dover line is still with us, the original DC third rail one. Runs alongside HS1/Eurostar between Ashford and the Channel tunnel entrance. Folkestone still has two stations (West and Central), with a third disused, and the Folkestone Harbour branch still in situ but derelict. In 2010, I actually walked across that line right near the Harbour.
  • Options
    Plato said:
    Like that time the audience at Ed's rally booed Nick Robinson for asking a legitimate question.
  • Options
    Because they are ridiculous and feeble;

And vain. If the three others had a scintilla of sense they would have done a Granita type deal to unite the moderates. Two quit for cabinet roles. One fights Corbyn.

They can fight each other after they've beaten him.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Disraeli said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

That's interesting. It surely means that huge bulk of late voters, bequeathed by the unions, and presumed to be Corbyn-heavy, will have to wait almost two more weeks before voting. Giving them plenty of time to get over their summer madness and regain their wits, and vote Cooper or Burnham.

BOOOOOO
    The Sunil on Sunday is reportedly very close to endorsing Corbyn...
  • Options
    Mr. D, the decadent media elite, hurling their capitalist questions at Chairman Corbyn, are unworthy of his wisdom and incapable of fathoming the Great Leader's philosophical truths.
  • Options
    Tease! What a tease!

Just got an email thinking it was my "e-ballot", but it was just Labour saying I will be GETTING an "e-ballot" in due course!

Major anti-climax!
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, they're mocking you.

I suggest you wreak vengeance by voting for Comrade Corbyn.

On a serious note, who are you thinking of voting for?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Tease! What a tease!

Just got an email thinking it was my "e-ballot", but it was just Labour saying I will be GETTING an "e-ballot" in due course!

Major anti-climax!

Are you a £3-er like me? Do we only get e-ballots then?

Why is there any delay in sending out emails? Surely it can be done in a minute, with one press of a button?
    It does say "Sunil — this week Electoral Reform Services will be emailing you with details of how you can vote in the leadership elections."

Hopefully by Friday... hopefully...
  • Options

I'm still working, man! Maybe I'm doing this 20 years too early! Still I've done almost everything in the SE and the Midlands, and a couple of outposts in Yorks., the NW and Scotland. And Bristol. Haven't touched Wales or the rest of the SW, yet. Plus East Anglia and the NE.
    Excuses, excuses! You get holidays, don't you? ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Mr. T, you must undergo vetting to ensure your are a pure socialist, uncontaminated by Conservative decadence.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,849
    Patrick said:

JEO said:

It's interesting from that Cruddas article, that he finds there are three issues Labour need to address:

1) Reducing immigration
    2) Regaining economic credibility
    3) Being tough on welfare

The debate between New Labour and Old Labour has concentrated entirely on 2. But the eventual solution to Labour's problems has to address 1. and 3. Right now I don't see either side in the Labour debate being willing to do so.

2 is impossible without first resolving 3.
    Patrick, how the devil are you , hope you are well , not seen you on much.
  • Options
    Comrade Dancer,

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 898
    JackW said:

taffys said:

''FPTP will ensure Labour remain as the Loyal Opposition but in such a diminished fashion as to allow the Conservatives a free run for the foreseeable future.''

I'm trying to imagine the likes of Chukka, Liz and Danczuk spouting Corbynite rubbish for two years while they wait for decent leader.

It isn't easy.

Not easy but the effort is worth the humungous chortle.

JackW said:

Icarus said:

Having seen an upper class Tory Twit from central casting called Tristram who claimed to be Labour's education spokesman on Newsnight last night it is difficult to know what to make of the Labour party.

But Jack, as most old Labourites are now in the HoL the correct term is surely My Lord Comrade or informally Honourable Comrade.

Noble Comrade is the correct form or Nobble Comrade for those Labour peers attempting to resist the blandishments of Comrade Corbyn.

Corbyn as LotO will also become a member of the Privy Council - The Rt Hon Comrade Corbyn. :smile:

Jack have just moved - finally sold - now live in a small Leicestershire village population 412. We only have one Labour peer in the village (shadow attourney general)

• Options
    Comrade Dr. Prasannan, the People await the verdict of the People's paper.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Interesting stuff on social justice and No 10 in this article from the Speccie.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/08/what-christian-guys-appointment-says-about-david-camerons-no10/
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    taffys said:

Because they are ridiculous and feeble;

And vain. If the three others had a scintilla of sense they would have done a Granita type deal to unite the moderates. Two quit for cabinet roles. One fights Corbyn.

They can fight each other after they've beaten him.

I don't really see how that would have helped anything. There's no issue of the anti-Corbyn vote being split, given that it's AV. The issue is that the Pro-Corbyn vote is larger than the anti-Corbyn vote.

If anything, a united anti-Corbyn front would reinforce the sense that Corbyn is needed. Whereas having the odd squabble with Cooper and Kendall helps Burnham pretend that he's left wing and offers the slim chance of eating into the pro-Corbyn vote.
  • Options

Comrade Dancer,

We're getting ready for an inevitable headline:

It's the Sunil wot won it!
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    RobD said:

Plato said:
    Like that time the audience at Ed's rally booed Nick Robinson for asking a legitimate question.
    Ordinary man shall not question the Glorious Leader.

Journalists will be sent to the re-correction camps.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Mr. D, the decadent media elite, hurling their capitalist questions at Chairman Corbyn, are unworthy of his wisdom and incapable of fathoming the Great Leader's philosophical truths.

After this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11809329/m-and-s-putting-d-in-bread-advert.html

I wonder if "Mr. D" is appropriate.

How would one address a socialist member of the Lords. Lord Comrade Smith, or Comrade Lord Smith? One for Debretts, I fear.

Edit: ha, I see this has already been addressed! 'My Noble Comrade' has a nice ring to it.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Germany official projections estimate 750,000 asylum seekers next year:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33972632

These numbers are just unsustainable. How long until they get EU passports and can come straight here?

Perhaps we should follow the Japan approach:

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21646255-worlds-refugee-problem-grows-japan-pulls-up-drawbridge-no-entry
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JEO said:

These numbers are just unsustainable. How long until they get EU passports and can come straight here?

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/21646255-worlds-refugee-problem-grows-japan-pulls-up-drawbridge-no-entry

Apparently the German central government is constantly on the phone asking the regions to take a few thousand asylum seekers every few days, and they have to suddenly find the funds and accommodation to put them up. A lot of those places have never before experienced any significant migration from outside Europe.
  • Options

Excuses, excuses! You get holidays, don't you? ;)
    That's it! I'll tell you what I've done this year! (new bits for me, never done before).

January
    Barnt Green to Redditch via NEW passing loop (a VERY long one!) at Alvechurch

April
    Ebbsfleet to Channel Tunnel via Eurostar underpass at Ashford (thence to Brussels and on to Amsterdam - also a few tram routes in Amsterdam itself)
    Nuneaton to Leicester

May
    Tamworth to Derby
    Priestfield to Wolverhampton St Georges as a newly remodelled single-track Tram terminus

June
    Birmingham to Cheltenham direct (Camp Hill route)
    Swindon to Cheltenham via Stroud and Gloucester
    Worcester to Ashchurch
    Worcester to Oxford via Evesham

July
    Peterborough to Leicester via Oakham
    Oakham to Kettering via Corby
    Peterborough to Cambridge via Ely

August
    Hitchin flyover (London to Cambridge fast)
    Grantham to Nottingham
    Nottingham to Long Eaton
    Ashford to Dover (DC line)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    In case anyone missed the news yesterday, Sweden's population now officially has more men than women, the reverse of the usual situation in western countries.

http://www.thelocal.se/20150817/men-outstrip-women-as-sweden-population-booms
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    It's all just a bit of fun, remember....
    https://twitter.com/ComResPolls

ComRes ‏@ComResPolls 19m19 minutes ago
    Reports we have a poll with Tories leading Lab in Scotland. Figs taken from small subset of a GB poll & shouldn't be taken as representative
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

It's all just a bit of fun, remember....
    https://twitter.com/ComResPolls

ComRes ‏@ComResPolls 19m19 minutes ago
    Reports we have a poll with Tories leading Lab in Scotland. Figs taken from small subset of a GB poll & shouldn't be taken as representative

The Tory Surge continues.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    SeanT said:

Tease! What a tease!

Major anti-climax!

Why is there any delay in sending out emails? Surely it can be done in a minute, with one press of a button?

PS: Ah yes. I see.

Presumably it's a case of lightening the load on the vote submission site. However your more nefarious explanation is intriguing.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/08/what-christian-guys-appointment-says-about-david-camerons-no10/

Good stuff. IDS has done a brilliant job since being ejected rather unceremoniously from LotO in 2003. He's still the quiet man, but now getting stuff done in one of the most important policy areas, great to see his people with the PM's ear.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    JackW said:

the company of one of my few Labour sources. Poor fellow is in such a pit of despair about the prospects of Labour under Comrade Corbyn it's difficult to underestimate how badly he believes events will run.

I have to say I agree. No matter how bad some PB Tories think Corbyn will be, they are as nothing as to how my Labour source and I believe this fiasco will turn out.

Indeed so. A contact of mine is a very old friend of a Labour ex-Cabinet minister, who rang him in utter despair because of the state of Labour Party - and that was a few weeks ago, before Corbyn looked unstoppable and before the current intensification of fraternal war.
  • Options

Comrade Dancer,

We're getting ready for an inevitable headline:

It's the Sunil wot won it!
    Patience :)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Disraeli said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

That's interesting. It surely means that huge bulk of late voters, bequeathed by the unions, and presumed to be Corbyn-heavy, will have to wait almost two more weeks before voting. Giving them plenty of time to get over their summer madness and regain their wits, and vote Cooper or Burnham.

BOOOOOO
    Fear not - we assumed they'd have calmed down prior to the opening of voting and they hadn't, so maybe they can sustain it for a few more weeks.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    Atul vs all the bookies, all the pollsters and 90% of the media - oh, and a quarter of a million entryists.

Stranger things have happened I guess.
  • Options
    Wow, the average Pakistani woman in the UK has 3.82 children, the average Somalia woman has 4.19 and the average Afghan woman in the UK has 4.25. This compares to the average UK-born woman having 1.79.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/598783/Immigration-increasing-British-family-size-official-figures
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JEO said:

Wow, the average Pakistani woman in the UK has 3.82 children, the average Somalia woman has 4.19 and the average Afghan woman in the UK has 4.25. This compares to the average UK-born woman having 1.79.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/598783/Immigration-increasing-British-family-size-official-figures

You're surprised by those figures?

Numbers for the countries mentioned:

Pakistan: 2.86
    Somalia: 6.08
    Afghanistan: 5.43

It's odd that the Pakistani figure is higher in the UK than in Pakistan.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2127rank.html
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I got an email from Diane Abbott! For mayor!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:
    Atul vs all the bookies, all the pollsters and 90% of the media - oh, and a quarter of a million entryists.

Isn't he like the least trustworthy source in the world ?
  • Options
    - this week Electoral Reform Services will be emailing you with details of how you can vote in the leadership elections.

To make sure this is a fair and independent election, Electoral Reform Services are administering the ballot on behalf of the Labour Party.

Please remember that your vote must be received by noon on Thursday 10th September to count.
  • Options
    RobD said:

After this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11809329/m-and-s-putting-d-in-bread-advert.html

How would one address a socialist member of the Lords. Lord Comrade Smith, or Comrade Lord Smith? One for Debretts, I fear.

Edit: ha, I see this has already been addressed! 'My Noble Comrade' has a nice ring to it.
    The House of Lords is an antiquated, over-bloated, bourgeois institution!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/628249873217929218
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Sandpit said:

Good stuff. IDS has done a brilliant job since being ejected rather unceremoniously from LotO in 2003. He's still the quiet man, but now getting stuff done in one of the most important policy areas, great to see his people with the PM's ear.
    I agree, Mr. Pit, and there is a lot to be hopeful about from that Speccie article. Providing Cameron actually follows through of course.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    AndyJS said:

JEO said:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2127rank.html
    I'm not surprised and I don't see it as problematic. It was only two or three generations ago that 4+ children was commonplace in this country.

How many of those children were born before they came to the UK?
  • Options
    And from Gareth Thomas for mayor too! Whoever he is :)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    SeanT said:

JEO said:

The Swedish figure is arguably more amazing. 80,000 in one year. That's almost 1% of the population (on top of genuine migrants).

The Swedish Democrats are already polling 24%. If this influx continues they could win the Swedish elections. Madness. But what can anyone do?

The report also says 25,000 refugees arrived on Greece in just one week.
    The EU will collapse if these numbers continue. As Cameron says, we need to break the link between turning up on the shores of Europe and being able to stay. We need deportion rates of 90%+. If they've burned their papers, then just take them back to the beaches of Libya.

What I want to know from the UK government is how we will stop all these asylum seekers from coming to the UK when they get German and Swedish passports in a few years time.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    SeanT said:

JEO said:

The Swedish figure is arguably more amazing. 80,000 in one year. That's almost 1% of the population (on top of genuine migrants).
    The Swedish Democrats are already polling 24%. If this influx continues they could win the Swedish elections. Madness. But what can anyone do?
    Its unfortunate that Blair poisoned the well, but we do need to cut down on migration and the causes of migration.
    If the numbers being bandied around are true then overt military action is going to be the only solution.
    Everything associated with this migration (which is from differing locations) is illegal and cannot be sustained.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

I haven't really formed a final judgement on his time in government, but part of me does like that someone who was deemed unsuitable to even fight a GE as leader, and widely derided, appears to have found his niche and, under a new leader, been allowed to make a real impact.
  • Options

RobD said:

After this...

The House of Lords is an antiquated, over-bloated, bourgeois institution!

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/628249873217929218
    Remember, bigger is better.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @pppolitics: COR BLIMEY! PADDY POWER PAYS OUT £100K ON CORBYN VICTORY
    Onetime 100/1 shot saw odds tumble to an unbackable 2/9, prompting an early pay out
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Onetime 100/1 shot saw odds tumble to an unbackable 2/9, prompting an early pay out

Tying to recoup their losses in PR presumably
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    anyone know if there is any independent monitoring of this leadership election, whats to stop fiddling of the ballot in these internal elections??
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

Didn’t Paddy Power pay out early on the Greek referendum - which left them a little red faced as they’d called it wrong?

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Isn't he like the least trustworthy source in the world ?
    Almost the first comment below the line pointed him at Betfair and suggested that he puts his money where his mouth is!

Most of the rest of the comments are from the very loony left and conspiracy theorists, and best not repeated.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,804
    SeanT said:

JEO said:

If I were a Swede, I'd see no option other than to vote Swedish Democrat. The other parties support unrestricted migration.

I wonder if force would be used to prevent the SDs taking power, if they won an election.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    JEO said:

What is equally worrying iirc that 80% of Somalis in the UK are unemployed.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Didn’t Paddy Power pay out early on the Greek referendum - which left them a little red faced as they’d called it wrong?

Apparently they do it for the publicity which generates enough money to cover mistakes.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

JEO said:

Apparently the German central government is constantly on the phone asking the regions to take a few thousand asylum seekers every few days, and they have to suddenly find the funds and accommodation to put them up. A lot of those places have never before experienced any significant migration from outside Europe.
    Asylum seekers in Germany come predominantly from Kossovo, Albania, Bosnia, Serbia, and Macedonia.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

I haven't really formed a final judgement on his time in government, but part of me does like that someone who was deemed unsuitable to even fight a GE as leader, and widely derided, appears to have found his niche and, under a new leader, been allowed to make a real impact.
    If he can succeed in getting the DWP and HMRC systems actually integrated, that alone will make such a massive difference to the way government interacts with people that he will deserve his place in history.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

SeanT said:

Tease! What a tease!

Major anti-climax!

PS: Ah yes. I see.

Presumably it's a case of lightening the load on the vote submission site. However your more nefarious explanation is intriguing.
    At least the delay will provide opportunity for Andy Burnham to change his position a few more times.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Icarus said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

''FPTP will ensure Labour remain as the Loyal Opposition but in such a diminished fashion as to allow the Conservatives a free run for the foreseeable future.''

I'm trying to imagine the likes of Chukka, Liz and Danczuk spouting Corbynite rubbish for two years while they wait for decent leader.

It isn't easy.

JackW said:

Icarus said:

Having seen an upper class Tory Twit from central casting called Tristram who claimed to be Labour's education spokesman on Newsnight last night it is difficult to know what to make of the Labour party.

But Jack, as most old Labourites are now in the HoL the correct term is surely My Lord Comrade or informally Honourable Comrade.

Noble Comrade is the correct form or Nobble Comrade for those Labour peers attempting to resist the blandishments of Comrade Corbyn.

Corbyn as LotO will also become a member of the Privy Council - The Rt Hon Comrade Corbyn. :smile:

Jack have just moved - finally sold - now live in a small Leicestershire village population 412. We only have one Labour peer in the village (shadow attourney general)

My word, you've had your pad on the market for longer than I said :

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister.

You should have taken the plunge and edged into the Grand Duchy of Rutland. :smile:

• Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

JEO said:

Asylum seekers in Germany come predominantly from Kossovo, Albania, Bosnia, Serbia, and Macedonia.
    How can you be an asylum seeker from these countries? The definition of refugee requires persecution based on "race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion". Which of those are unable to live in the Balkans these days?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Whatever the ruling Labour elite think - given the crowds he is attracting to these folksy town hall style meetings, there must come a point when instead of this group crying ABC from the top of their ever pathetic sounding voices, that they give some thought to how can we harness this enthusiasm:

https://twitter.com/Corbyn4Leader/status/633673025532071937
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    SeanT said:
    I don't know which would be more amazing... Corbyn winning or Corbyn not winning.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

Apparently they do it for the publicity which generates enough money to cover mistakes.
    They probably only have about 50 quid at 100/1, will cover it from a marketing budget with huge "We Paid Out On 100/1 Bet Early" posters everywhere - while quietly closing or restricting the accounts of the winners.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

JEO said:

How can you be an asylum seeker from these countries? The definition of refugee requires persecution based on "race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion". Which of those are unable to live in the Balkans these days?
    There's a good deal of inter-ethnic violence in those countries. So you spin some yarn on arrival in Germany, and look to string out your asylum application and subsequent appeals for as long as you can. By the time you've exhausted every appeal, either Article 8 comes to the rescue, or you go to ground.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,182
    calum said:

Whatever the ruling Labour elite think - given the crowds he is attracting to these folksy town hall style meetings, there must come a point when instead of this group crying ABC from the top of their ever pathetic sounding voices, that they give some thought to how can we harness this enthusiasm:

Summer's lease hath all too short a date.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

JEO said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

JEO said:

There's a good deal of inter-ethnic violence in those countries. So you spin some yarn on arrival in Germany, and look to string out your asylum application and subsequent appeals for as long as you can. By the time you've exhausted every appeal, either Article 8 comes to the rescue, or you go to ground.
    Germany is in the process of considering many more Balkan countries "safe" for asylum purposes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

The only thing stranger will be Atul having signed up to join Labour in 197,542 alternate disguises....
  • Options
    calum said:

Milifandom anyone?
  • Options
    "Scruffy Jeremy Corbyn winds up Tories in 1984":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZsYvkTw4Rg
  • Options
    JackW said:

Icarus said:

JackW said:

taffys said:

It isn't easy.

JackW said:

Icarus said:

My word, you've had your pad on the market for longer than I said :

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister.

You should have taken the plunge and edged into the Grand Duchy of Rutland. :smile:

:)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Unit_222103_at_Oakham.JPG
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    kjohnw said:

anyone know if there is any independent monitoring of this leadership election, whats to stop fiddling of the ballot in these internal elections??

From their web site...

"Electoral Reform Services, which the Labour Party has appointed as the independent scrutineer for this ballot. "
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    JEO said:

SeanT said:

JEO said:

The EU will collapse if these numbers continue. As Cameron says, we need to break the link between turning up on the shores of Europe and being able to stay. We need deportion rates of 90%+. If they've burned their papers, then just take them back to the beaches of Libya.

What I want to know from the UK government is how we will stop all these asylum seekers from coming to the UK when they get German and Swedish passports in a few years time.
    This is getting unsustainable now, and as you say won't stop until those involved see negative outcomes which needs a military response - as seen in Australia where illegal immigration has been massively reduced in recent years.

As a minimum get a radar station in the Med tracking the boats, so they can be intercepted by the navy and the occupants returned to the port they left from. Then arrest the captains and sink their boats, pay the Libyans to incarcerate them there. No-one sets foot on EU soil.

And of course anyone arriving in the UK from Calais needs to explain why they are seeking asylum from France
  • Options
    A thread suggestion: would a Burnham triumph be worse than a Corbyn victory?

Burnham's said he'll take Corbyn on board. If he does, that means taking on the mad policies. If he doesn't [really] then the Corbynites will cry betrayal.

And that's without considering that Burnham's a lightweight. He's Ed Miliband without the intellectual self-confidence or unorthodox yet beguiling owl policies.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Greetings comrades. Just to say, I have cast my votes:

1. JC, 2. EC, 3. AB, 4. LK
    1. CF, 2. SC. 3. TW, 4. BB, 5. AE

E for Evette, obviously!
    I thought it was EC for Ed Cooper-Balls...
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    If any of you can pull yourselves away from your computer screens, the hedgerows are full to bursting with blackberries; delicious with breakfast cereal, or yoghurt, or in pies, or for making jam (which can then make a nice gift for neighbours). Some people also use them for home-made wine.
    Likewise there are tons of apples going to waste growing on roadsides, presumably where drivers have thrown an apple core out of the car window.
    Damsons and sloes in abundance.
    We have had the most fantastic crop of potatoes and other veg this year, and more tomatoes than we know what to do with. Pears ready soon.

Don't let all this abundance go to waste. Give it away if you can't use it yourself
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

JEO said:

I'm not surprised and I don't see it as problematic. It was only two or three generations ago that 4+ children was commonplace in this country.

Do you agree there is a maximum tolerable percentage of Muslims in the UK population, i.e. a figure beyond which our society is Islamised so much it becomes unrecognisable, and a figure which therefore must not be exceeded?

Or do you think there should be no limit at all?

Would you be happy with a society that was 30% Muslim, with all that entails? Or 40%? Or 50%? When homosexuality becomes illegal again, when sharia law is standard?

Eventually, if things continue as they are, all European countries will have to address this horrible question, or their voters will address it for them, by electing far right governments.
    At the moment, the ceiling for insurgent right wing parties in European countries seems to be c.30% or so. That's up from 15-20% or so a decade ago. But, it still allows the centre-right and centre-left to hold the line against them. If the insurgents reach 40% or so, then I think that line is broken.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

JEO said:

The problem is that all three of these groups are groups which have had the least integration into British society. Unemployment is higher, non-participation is higher, wages are lower, rates of benefit claiming are higher, extreme views are higher. If their share of the population raises dramatically, it will be increasingly costly to the rest of the UK to support them. Unsustainably so.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    ''Whatever the ruling Labour elite think''

Careful. Wherever he goes, Farage plays to packed halls. The sort that make you think UKIP is genuine voter driven grassroots movement.

Number of seats....???.....er....