Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Is Corbyn inevitable, unelectable and what happens next for

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    RobD said:

isam said:

Telegraph front page says Harman attempt's to call off Labour contest

Appallingly misleading apostrophe and letter 's' misplacement
    It's not misleading, just totally wrong. I'm sure TSE was just in an excitable mood when he composed the message!
    I, guess, so
  • Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

It's not misleading, just totally wrong. I'm sure TSE was just in an excitable mood when he composed the message!
    Hoisted by own petard, after I criticised Douglas Carswell for a typo last night and he wasn't happy with my pedantry

In my defence, I'm writing Sunday's thread, and it contains the following phrase

"If you're a Scottish Nationalist, you might want to skip the next paragraph"
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    isam said:

RobD said:

isam said:

I, guess, so
    Enhance your calm, isam! :D
  • Options

Ms Harman and her team have told officials that they believe up to one fifth of the 120,000 people who paid £3 to vote in the election could be so-called “entryists” trying to distort the result to favour Jeremy Corbyn, the hard-left candidate.

People are signing up to vote in an attempt to distort the result. Who would have thought it?
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

Hoisted by own petard, after I criticised Douglas Carswell for a typo last night and he wasn't happy with my pedantry

In my defence, I'm writing Sunday's thread, and it contains the following phrase

One hope it describes the intricacies of AV vis-à-vis the Scottish Parliament elections, and how it means the Tories will be romping home to an absolute majority in 2016?

Hopefully....
  • Options

notme said:

You are only looking at it from the user perspective, there are enormous differences between how they operate, and its only because you have got used to the features as they've developed, you havent noticed them. If you go back to windows 95/98 you might be quite surprised .

Windows XP was reskin of windows 2k. It is massively more stable than any if the 9x operating system, it brought 'enterprise' level stability to home users. If you farted too loudly and didnt close the door windows 98 would freeze.

Think of all those things you do with ease. Taking pictures off a camera, adding music to a device, watching video on the internet, the internet itself!!

It is possible to say that vista was difficult operating system, they over reached, but by the time they were ready with windows 7, they perfected everything they got wrong with vista.

Windows 8 was just a bag of spanners, but mainly because of design decisions. If MS had made the design decision to keep a traditional start menu, and disable 'full screen apps' for standard users it would have been lapped up.

Windows 8 contains some first rate auto backup software, fast as anything on older machines, finally MS managed to get standby right. But alas the interface was so screwed up.

The look of horror on an elderly persons face when they go to start and get lots of tiles. When they accidentally swipe to the side and they go into full screen app. When they try to play solitaire and get inundated with XBOX trophies.

They pack it away and get the old one out, or just buy an ipad.

+1

There's the underlying core tech, and then the UI shell that is placed on top. Win 7, 8 and 10 are (I think) more or less the same core tech family, with very different UI's.

Mind you, I still miss OS/2 Warp and Windows NT.

I'd rather forget 3/3.1 - they were, with hindsight, absolutely terrible kludges that were only popular because they were compatible with, but so much better than, DOS.
    Really? 3.1 was good at the time. Nowadays you'd never dream of going back to it, but for the era when it was built it was the XP of the early 90s.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    notme said:

You are only looking at it from the user perspective, there are enormous differences between how they operate, and its only because you have got used to the features as they've developed, you havent noticed them. If you go back to windows 95/98 you might be quite surprised .

Windows XP was reskin of windows 2k. It is massively more stable than any if the 9x operating system, it brought 'enterprise' level stability to home users. If you farted too loudly and didnt close the door windows 98 would freeze.

Think of all those things you do with ease. Taking pictures off a camera, adding music to a device, watching video on the internet, the internet itself!!

Actually I disagree. A user perspective should be the PRIMARY consideration of a tech company. The problem is that even though the industry is now quite mature, often the user perspective is not considered.

That's why the PC gaming industry killed itself with the desire for ever faster graphics for no gameplay benefits requiring bleeding edge upgrades for no reason.

But I digress. The functionality of Win98 really is not different to Win7. A more recent first time user might use more Quick Links than Desktop Shortcuts than I do but we're not talking about huge differences in the functionality of applications or the OS.

Some things are easier but really by Win98 with PnP peripherals were no longer much of an issue, home networking was relatively trivial (well except that it used wires) and really, the only differences are things which were either not invented yet or not integrated (i.e. using RealPlayer to stream video instead of In Browser streaming).

The functionality really has not changed. The internet would work the same on Win95 as it does on Win7 (assuming there is a compatible browser which may be possible but I really aren't interested in trying it out.

The only thing that ever made me upgrade is when there were programs (usually games) which I couldn't run on the old OS.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited August 2015
    Disraeli said:

notme said:

Windows 8 contains some first rate auto backup software....

Where's that, if you don't mind me asking? (And if you mention the word "cloud", then I ain't going there!)

I have Windows 8.1 on my machine, and I've set it up just as I want it. No need for Windows 10 yet.
    plug a usb stick in or usb hard drive should get an option for 'file history', if not go to top right of screen type in file history.

• Options
    Dair said:

Some things are easier but really by Win98 with PnP peripherals were no longer much of an issue, home networking was relatively trivial (well except that it used wires) and really, the only differences are things which were either not invented yet or not integrated (i.e. using RealPlayer to stream video instead of In Browser streaming).

I remember RealPlayer... *shudders*
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited August 2015

I ditched Windows PC and laptops about a year ago. I made do with a Galaxy 2 Tab and my phone, and to be honest, haven't missed Windows at all. I now use a Chromebook, and it's superb. Fast start up and no laggy freezing unlike my crappy Windows machines. Of course, if you're a serious gamer, or want to do detailed photo or video editing, then you're a little limited, but for everyday use, it suits me down to the ground.

I think there is a need for 3 separate computers: one computer for business, one for browsing and gaming, and one for mobile use.
    And you can't have the same operating system for all 3.

I definitely need two, I don't care much about the mobile stuff unless I'm travelling long distance or on vacation.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Sean_F said:

Speedy said:
    Since PB is blessed with much better lawyers than me, in what sense could you judicially review that decision? Is the Labour party a public authority for these purposes?
    LIAMT knows far more about constitutional and administrative law than I do. But, I'd have thought that any attempt to challenge the outcome of the leadership election would be based upon contractual law, rather than judicial review.
    LIAMT repeatedly claims that he is not a lawyer. If he isn't then he clearly missed his calling...

(Love that Matt cartoon. Really sums it up - candidates calling for "unity" by urging their rivals to stand aside.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Corbyn would be in a much better electoral position if he backed Scottish Independence.

Why?
    Well there seems to be a huge number of PB commentators who keep telling us that the best way to get Scottish Independence is to give England the vote. That would, in effect, give England the vote.

Scottish Independence could then be established Czechoslovakia style, with dissolution following the No vote.
    Every poll in England and Wales has shown a clear majority want to keep Scotland in the UK
    Yeah but Corbyn only needs like 40% in rUK.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited August 2015
    RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

One hope it describes the intricacies of AV vis-à-vis the Scottish Parliament elections, and how it means the Tories will be romping home to an absolute majority in 2016?

Hopefully....
    That is being saved for my next long stint as Guest Editor.

Sunday's piece includes, inter alia, references to Sion Simon's seldom quoted 2007 opus about 'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority' and Return of the Jedi.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

I remember RealPlayer... *shudders*
    realplayer has reinvented itself into a nasty piece of vermin spyware with realplayer 'cloud'.
  • Options

notme said:

It is possible to say that vista was difficult operating system, they over reached, but by the time they were ready with windows 7, they perfected everything they got wrong with vista.

Windows 8 was just a bag of spanners, but mainly because of design decisions. If MS had made the design decision to keep a traditional start menu, and disable 'full screen apps' for standard users it would have been lapped up.

Windows 8 contains some first rate auto backup software, fast as anything on older machines, finally MS managed to get standby right. But alas the interface was so screwed up.

The look of horror on an elderly persons face when they go to start and get lots of tiles. When they accidentally swipe to the side and they go into full screen app. When they try to play solitaire and get inundated with XBOX trophies.

+1

There's the underlying core tech, and then the UI shell that is placed on top. Win 7, 8 and 10 are (I think) more or less the same core tech family, with very different UI's.

I'd rather forget 3/3.1 - they were, with hindsight, absolutely terrible kludges that were only popular because they were compatible with, but so much better than, DOS.
    Really? 3.1 was good at the time. Nowadays you'd never dream of going back to it, but for the era when it was built it was the XP of the early 90s.
    That was really the point I was trying to make.

You couldn't imagine going back to Win3.x but I would see no inherent problem with going back to Win98 with up to date drivers/browser.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Dair said:

notme said:

Actually I disagree. A user perspective should be the PRIMARY consideration of a tech company. The problem is that even though the industry is now quite mature, often the user perspective is not considered.

That's why the PC gaming industry killed itself with the desire for ever faster graphics for no gameplay benefits requiring bleeding edge upgrades for no reason.

But I digress. The functionality of Win98 really is not different to Win7. A more recent first time user might use more Quick Links than Desktop Shortcuts than I do but we're not talking about huge differences in the functionality of applications or the OS.

The functionality really has not changed. The internet would work the same on Win95 as it does on Win7 (assuming there is a compatible browser which may be possible but I really aren't interested in trying it out.

The only thing that ever made me upgrade is when there were programs (usually games) which I couldn't run on the old OS.
    "A user perspective should be the PRIMARY consideration of a tech company. The problem is that even though the industry is now quite mature, often the user perspective is not considered."

Big companies never listen to reviews from their customers about their product, they think they can afford to ignore customer feedback, that is why big companies eventually crash.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct-Fm4hYIck
  • Options
    edited August 2015

RobD said:

RobD said:

isam said:

Hopefully....
    That is being saved for my next long stint as Guest Editor.

Sunday's piece includes, inter alia, references to Sion Simon's seldom quoted 2007 opus about 'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority' and Return of the Jedi.
    Here's another one:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-724017.html
    Shame they removed the comments section... edit: oh, still there, just took a while to load.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    Speedy said:

I ditched Windows PC and laptops about a year ago. I made do with a Galaxy 2 Tab and my phone, and to be honest, haven't missed Windows at all. I now use a Chromebook, and it's superb. Fast start up and no laggy freezing unlike my crappy Windows machines. Of course, if you're a serious gamer, or want to do detailed photo or video editing, then you're a little limited, but for everyday use, it suits me down to the ground.

I think there is a need for 3 separate computers: one computer for business, one for browsing and gaming, and one for mobile use.

I definitely need two, I don't care much about the mobile stuff unless I'm travelling long distance or on vacation.
    Now totally converted to Mac for that reason: fully integrated across my business machine (air), home machine (iPad) and mobile (iPhone).

Only a few mates still persevere with windows for home; and a dwindling number with android for mobile.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916

notme said:

+1

Yep. 3/3.1/3.11 were terrible, from both underlying technical and usability points of view. The thing that made it was that you could still run DOS programs on it.

There were far better OS's out there in the late 1980s and early 1990s , from both tech and UI/usability viewpoints.

On that note, I'm off to bed to dream of microkernels and threading ...
  • Options
    While on the subject of Slovakia and Scotland, there's a very distinctive bridge across the Danube in Bratislava, near the castle, called the SNP Bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_SNP

"SNP" is the Slovak National Uprising against the Nazis, rather than in honour of Salmond.
  • Options
    I go away for a couple of hours and everyone seems to be talking about IT!
  • Options
    I prefer this one:

https://youtu.be/m0jUPJJC6EM
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Speedy said:

The same operating system for all 3 is more or less the big idea for Windows 10. I have 10 on same laptops and a tablet, and the technical preview of the phone version on a couple of phones.
  • Options
    If Labour utterly implode and the Tories don't crash in the polls with other minor parties stepping up, at what point does it become an overwhelming incentive for the Conservatives to call an early election? Particularly before Labour get a chance to repair the damage?

I can't see how the timing would work, since I expect the EU ref to hurt the Tories (exposes too many old wounds, too many risks of infighting), and earlier than the EU ref seems too soon (why risk the majority just for the chance of extending by a couple of years, unless you think you could earn a much bigger majority) but at some point in the polling I'm sure an early election becomes more likely.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited August 2015
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

Now totally converted to Mac for that reason: fully integrated across my business machine (air), home machine (iPad) and mobile (iPhone).

Only a few mates still persevere with windows for home; and a dwindling number with android for mobile.
    I've gone in the reverse. I can't stand Apple because you can't run any programs that Apple hasn't signed off on, which can dramatically limit you. Android is also dramatically superior to the iPhone in terms of web browsing speeds.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    "However, it is the influx of new members and supporters that has given the Khan team such confidence. There are believed to be around 20,000 registered supporters and a further 20,000 new members in London, and a source from Khan’s campaign has told LabourList that they believe the percentage of new sign ups supporting frontrunner Tessa Jowell is negligible. They still accept Jowell will win most first preferences, and that the contest will go to a final run-off between her and Khan, but are adamant that it is their candidate who now has the best chance of victory. A source told LabourList that their canvassing showed support for Khan had increased, and that the second preferences of Diane Abbott would see them over the line."

http://labourlist.org/2015/08/just-how-close-is-the-labour-race-for-london-mayor/
  • Options

While on the subject of Slovakia and Scotland, there's a very distinctive bridge across the Danube in Bratislava, near the castle, called the SNP Bridge.

"SNP" is the Slovak National Uprising against the Nazis, rather than in honour of Salmond.

I can't understand the linguistic differences of all the central european nations, polish sounds exactly like czech and hungarian.
    I think all of them from Lithuania to Croatia speak the same language with only slight regional differences, the culture and food is also very similar.
    Normally an area with a common language is within the same state, not in a dozen states, must be an Austro-hungarian thing.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    notme said:

Disraeli said:

notme said:

Windows 8 contains some first rate auto backup software....

Where's that, if you don't mind me asking? (And if you mention the word "cloud", then I ain't going there!)

I have Windows 8.1 on my machine, and I've set it up just as I want it. No need for Windows 10 yet.
    plug a usb stick in or usb hard drive should get an option for 'file history', if not go to top right of screen type in file history.

Sent you a message :smile:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    To: David Cameron From: Daniel Finkelstein Re: Jeremy Corbyn

1 Extraordinary though it seems, from everything I can gather it does now seem as if the Labour party may really actually be about to elect Jeremy Corbyn — I will say that again slowly: they may now be about to elect Jeremy Corbyn — as the leader of Her Majesty’s Opposition. You might well reflect that this lacks sagacity and regard it as, from their point of view, a sub-optimal selection. But your reflections and mine aren’t likely to influence the outcome. They are, in that respect, a little like one of Andy Burnham’s speeches.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4531190.ece
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited August 2015
    At work we ditched all Windows machines back in 2007 and moved to desktop Linux. It all worked well and continues to do so.

These days I do not even bother with a laptop. My Galaxy phone meets almost all my needs
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929

Scott_P said:

Apparently my Windows 10 "upgrade" (sic) is ready.

Am I?

Upgraded my Laptop (from Win 8) to Win 10 and its performed better. So I upgraded my PC (from Win 7) to Win 10 and I'm having multiple teething problems with it.

If you're on 8 I'd say go for it, if you're on 7 I'd wait.
    I had a few problems for a few days but they seem to resolve themselves.

But I am the rare species of getting on with Windows 8 just fine...
    I am the same. The only problem I had is that Windows 10 kept insisting on a lower display setting than my rig was capable of it. But I simply reset it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Mortimer said:

Speedy said:

You can get very good integration with Windows Phone, Windows laptop or desktop, and a Windows tablet/transformer book, for the mobile, heavy/business and light/web-browsing trinity. I've found that useful for business purposes.

Windows Phone isn't for everyone - particularly the kids who want all their flashy apps - but it is perfectly serviceable.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Paddy Power Politics @pppolitics
    COR BLIMEY! PADDY POWER PAYS OUT £100K ON CORBYN VICTORY
    Onetime 100/1 shot saw odds tumble to an unbackable 2/9, prompting an early pay out
    5:13 PM - 18 Aug 2015
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I can't understand the linguistic differences of all the central european nations, polish sounds exactly like czech and hungarian.
    I think all of them from Lithuania to Croatia speak the same language with only slight regional differences, the culture and food is also very similar.
    Normally an area with a common language is within the same state, not in a dozen states, must be an Austro-hungarian thing.

Goodnight.
    Lithuania was never part of Austria-Hungary!
  • Options
    Corbyn still doing 2 rallies a day.
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/jeremy-corbyn-newcastle-live-labour-9881095

When are the other 3 going to do a single rally? They are asking for my vote but they don't put any effort, so why should I ?

Goodnight.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Speedy said:

Goodnight.
    English is more closely related to Czech and Polish than Hungarian is. Lithuanian is quite different from the Slavic languages too.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Goodnight.
    It can't be an Austro-Hungarian thing.

Hungarian is a language very much out of place (and as far as I know it is still somewhat of a mystery).
  • Options
    Dair said:

Speedy said:

Goodnight.

Hungarian is a language very much out of place (and as far as I know it is still somewhat of a mystery).
    Hungarian is part of the Finno-Ugric family, its closest European relatives are Finnish and Estonian.
  • Options
    Just got a second email from Jezza!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Goodnight.
    Lithuanian and Latvian are very similar (Baltic languages, not Slavic), but quite distinct from neighbouring languages.

Estonian weird (Russians joke that Estonian sounds like stuttering, in their ethnic stereotyping, because of the repeated syllables) but actually quite close to Finnish (Finno-Ugric group).

Hungarian distantly related to Estonian and Finnish, and not at all to the neighbouring countries. Not Slavic at all.

Slovak/Czech very similar - mutually comprehensible (ice hockey commentaries in the old Czechoslovakia used to be in one language for the first half of the game, then in the other for the second) but not identical. Slovak is the slightly easier language to learn, since it's more regular (since it was codified as a language in its own right in the 19th century wave of nationalism; Czech has centuries of written history to develop its idiosyncracies, though not as badly as English has done).

Polish is quite like Czech and Polish. Among other Slavic languages, Russian, Belarussian, Ukrainian and Bulgarian are not too dissimilar. And the south Slavic languages (Croat, Serbian, Macedonian) are very close, mutually comprehensible (in fact you can find "teach yourself" language guides to "Serbo-Croat" as a single tongue).

Nearby, Albanian stands alone (Illyrian not Slavic) and Romanian is, as the name suggests, a Romance language surprisingly similar to Italian.
  • Options
    glw said:

Speedy said:

The same operating system for all 3 is more or less the big idea for Windows 10. I have 10 on same laptops and a tablet, and the technical preview of the phone version on a couple of phones.
    That smells like a disaster waiting to happen.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

Aren't the majority of Enterprise users still using XP?

XP is no longer supported or patched, so there is big push to get off it
    University Hospitals Leicester runs XP. It works fine, certainly streets ahead of crappy Win 8 that I have on my Laptop. If I wanted an effing tablet I would have bought one! I wanted a desktop experience that I could take to meetings. If Win 10 is not a hell of a lot better then it is the last MS program that I buy. Office 365 annoys me too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Corbyn would be in a much better electoral position if he backed Scottish Independence.

Why?
    Well there seems to be a huge number of PB commentators who keep telling us that the best way to get Scottish Independence is to give England the vote. That would, in effect, give England the vote.

Scottish Independence could then be established Czechoslovakia style, with dissolution following the No vote.
    Every poll in England and Wales has shown a clear majority want to keep Scotland in the UK
    Scotland is one of Corbyn's best regions indeed tonight the Daily Record has endorsed Corbyn
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Hungarian is part of the Finno-Ugric family, its closest European relatives are Finnish and Estonian.

A quote from one of my favourite books, The Curve of Binding Energy by John McPhee.

--

Physicist Enrico Fermi, said to be a firm believer in the existence of extra-terrestrials, was frustrated by the lack of firm evidence of their existence. Reasoning that advanced civilizations should by now have filled the Galaxy, Fermi came downstairs for lunch one afternoon at Los Alamos and blurted out his now-famous question, "Where are they?"

"They are among us," it is reported that Hungarian-born physicist Leo Szilard responded, "but they call themselves Hungarians."

Apparently, Szilard's comment had some cultural and historical basis. The following passage is from The Curve of Binding Energy by John McPhee (1973, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, pp. 104-105):

"Not all the Los Alamos theories could be tested. Long popular within the Theoretical Division was, for example, a theory that the people of Hungary are Martians. The reasoning went like this: The Martians left their own planet several aeons ago and came to Earth; they landed in what is now Hungary; the tribes of Europe were so primitive and barbarian it was necessary for the Martians to conceal their evolutionary difference or be hacked to pieces. Through the years, the concealment had on the whole been successful, but the Martians had three characteristics too strong to hide: their wanderlust, which found its outlet in the Hungarian gypsy; their language (Hungarian is not related to any of the languages spoken in surrounding countries); and their unearthly intelligence. One had only to look around to see the evidence: Teller, Wigner, Szilard, von Neumann -- Hungarians all. Wigner had designed the first plutonium-production reactors. Szilard had been among the first to suggest that fission could be used to make a bomb. Von Neumann had developed the digital computer. Teller -- moody, tireless, and given to fits of laughter, bursts of anger -- worked long hours and was impatient with what he felt to be the excessively slow advancement of Project Panda, as the hydrogen-bomb development was known. ... Teller had a thick Martian accent. He also had a sense of humor that could penetrate bone."

http://www.setileague.org/askdr/hungary.htm
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

HYUFD said:

Chinese school beats British school in the final episode of the BBC2 experiment of teaching styles at Bohunt School

No surprise. How can anyone learn anything when paper aeroplanes are constantly flying around the room?
    The longer hours probably also helped
  • Options
    Speedy said:

That smells like a disaster waiting to happen.

Windows 10 Mobile probably won't be a commercial success, it really is simply too late, but technically the OS and application platform are both excellent, and in many respects ahead of where iOS and Android are. Microsoft is an immensely capable company, but has a horrible track record of either being extremely early or extremely late to the party.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,643
    Speedy said:

When are the other 3 going to do a single rally? They are asking for my vote but they don't put any effort, so why should I ?

Rallies aren't everything, but it's a fair point. During the GE, so certain was I that I would not, in a safe seat, get any knocks on the door, I was quite prepared to vote for any party that did do that, no matter who they were, since at least they would have made the effort. In the end no-one did, but when one is uncertain to vote, why not go for the one which puts more effort into winning your vote?
  • Options
    glw said:

Speedy said:

Actually that was the big idea for Win8 and the reason it was such a disaster.

No phone will ever be particularly suited to multitasking because no phone will ever have the Screen Acreage to multitask effectively. But as multitasking is the key strength of the PC (and the main reason why it will continue to have a future) the circles could not be squared.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

University Hospitals Leicester runs XP. It works fine, certainly streets ahead of crappy Win 8 that I have on my Laptop. If I wanted an effing tablet I would have bought one! I wanted a desktop experience that I could take to meetings. If Win 10 is not a hell of a lot better then it is the last MS program that I buy. Office 365 annoys me too.
    I think a huge problem for the NHS is a number of their applications won't work on anything more recent than XP and the companies who originally developed the software have ceased trading. Same goes for software developed in-house and the team who developed it no longer work there.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Why?

Scotland is one of Corbyn's best regions indeed tonight the Daily Record has endorsed Corbyn
    Well the First Leg of your multi-point dream of a SLAB revival was the election of Ken MacIntosh.

Not really going to plan for you is it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Speedy said:

Corbyn still doing 2 rallies a day.
    http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/jeremy-corbyn-newcastle-live-labour-9881095

Goodnight.

The 3 pretenders are being old manned by Corbyn :P
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    This is terrible:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3201503/Translator-abandoned-UK-executed-tries-flee-Taliban-Interpreter-killed-captured-Iran-amid-fears-four-suffered-fate.html

I'm supportive of restricting immigration, but if there is one group we should let in it is people that have risked their lives to help the British military.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

I think a huge problem for the NHS is a number of their applications won't work on anything more recent than XP and the companies who originally developed the software have ceased trading. Same goes for software developed in-house and the team who developed it no longer work there.
    Not just the NHS - many companies here, large and small, including many restaurant chains running proprietary Point of Sale software still run XP. Only now it's no longer being supported are they looking to move. It was rock solid and stable, low maintenece. Its hardware requirements were modest. I have it still on a laptop,

I have win 10 on my other one, and I'm getting to really like it.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    We really need the like button back on here

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Dair said:

Actually that was the big idea for Win8 and the reason it was such a disaster.

That's what was said, but the reality wasn't quite as neat. Windows 8 used the same OS kernel, driver model, services and so on, but the API only became the same with Windows Phone 8.1, and developers still needed to build separate apps and use linked store listings, which complicated development and selling apps. There were also some API differences due to the two streams of development taking place at Microsoft being out of sync.

With Windows 10 Microsoft have used essentially the same stuff across the board (Universal Windows Platform), there is really only one Windows development team for client operating systems now, and app developers can now build and sell one app that will run on all Windows 10 versions (or all the ones they want, as it is not compulsory to run everywhere).

The desktop, tablet, and phone versions of Windows are now about as close to one version as it is practical to be. Basically they remaining differences are almost entirely due to intrinsic hardware differences, rather than anything arbitrary or due to scheduling and different teams working on the OS.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

His act starts with making money disappear, then makes the whole party vanish too!
  • Options
    Salmond calls out Kez for the hypocrite she is.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/politics/alex-salmond/kez-v-jez-means-civil-war-1.895101

Great points all the way through, Kez is finished before she's even begun.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

He'll take off his mask and cape and reveal himself to be the real Jeremy Corbyn (Tribute act - Andy Burnham !)
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

I have a chromebook (using it now), its great for battery life browsing and emails. I suppose it would be good for watching video and TV - but I hardly ever do that. But not for serious writing - I prefer word and need to print proper word docs. But it is otherwise good for simple documents. But I struggle with printing from it. I guess I need a chrome friendly printer.
    Plus the cloud business worries me. OK for picture maybe. Would you put important things on the cloud? Could you guarantee being able to get at them when you want? And the chromebook keyboard sometimes plays up with i and k.
    I'm almost convinced by the Chromebook.
    My laptop is old but more than good enough for typing and printing but is a bit heavy and the mousepad is going dicky and battery life is poor even with a new relatively light 4 cell battery.
    If I buy a new lap top there is all the docs I want on my old one etc - never mind the cost. New browser and remember all old new logins?? Is it worth it just as a word processor? And bulk and weight?
    I have an Android pad thanks to subscribing to The Times )which is a good app). And an android phone.
    I use the latter two for reading on Kindle.

My wife has a Surface2 which after a while she thinks is great. But it is a bit of a cut down OS - but its OK. Will it take Win10? But its neat and light with a proper keyboard.
    Surface3 looks expensive. The future may be Surface and Windows phone. Maybe.
    Surface can use Word and can print and is light with enough storage for simple docs. An you can browse.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Does Ian Saville run the magic money tree?
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:
    He'll take off his mask and cape and reveal himself to be the real Jeremy Corbyn (Tribute act - Andy Burnham !)
    ''We'll like him... not a lot!''

The list is quite hilarious. Beyond surreal. I seriously seriously am beginning to wonder just what to think. Perhaps its best not to think. This is after all how NPXMP is rationalising it all.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Why the SNP are winning.

The by-election is not till 10th September.

https://twitter.com/KellyMParry/status/632534531413803008
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Tim_B said:

MP_SE said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

Not just the NHS - many companies here, large and small, including many restaurant chains running proprietary Point of Sale software still run XP. Only now it's no longer being supported are they looking to move. It was rock solid and stable, low maintenece. Its hardware requirements were modest. I have it still on a laptop,

I have win 10 on my other one, and I'm getting to really like it.
    Does the vast business clientbase of server users come into this and the database (whatever its called dbase? or SQL? or something?) that they get with the server licence??
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    "Roll up! Roll up!"
    "Socialist Magician - Watch him make money disappear!"
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited August 2015
    One of the funniest ever episodes of the fast show just repeated on bbc2
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

AndyJS said:
    "Roll up! Roll up!"
    "Socialist Magician - Watch him make other people's money disappear!"
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

I go away for a couple of hours and everyone seems to be talking about IT!

Not much happening politically...
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Just come back from Day 1 of the British Fireworks Championships in Plymouth. The second of the three displays - by Spyrotechnics - was extraordinarily good.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

"Roll up! Roll up!"

:smiley:
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

HYUFD said:

Dair said:

Dair said:

Why?

Well the First Leg of your multi-point dream of a SLAB revival was the election of Ken MacIntosh.

Not really going to plan for you is it.
    I doubt many Scots will switch their vote on whether MacIntosh or Dugdale leads SLAB, some may well do if Corbyn leads UK Labour
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    It's interesting how almost everyone supporting Corbyn appears to be either from the baby-boomer generation or a student-type person in the 16-30 age group. What's his support like with people aged 35-50? We need some polling.
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

Tim_B said:

"Roll up! Roll up!"

:smiley:

Ye of little faith! He has a fundamental role in Corbynomics, as Shaker of the Magic Money Tree...
  • Options
    Dair said:

You couldn't imagine going back to Win3.x but I would see no inherent problem with going back to Win98 with up to date drivers/browser.

I actually had to go back to 98 once (on a library machine when used to Seven) and it was shocking actually. There are many minor things that have been implemented that made it very frustrating to go back on. All relatively minor changes but from memory eg quick launch buttons on the taskbar, notifications by the clock, a button to minimise all windows etc, the "snap" ability for multitasking were all missing in 98.

Each one minor by itself but cumulatively they're good incremental improvements. Which is the sane way changes should be made, Win 8 broke that and was a disaster as a result - sometimes an incremental improvement is better than a revolution.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's interesting how almost everyone supporting Corbyn appears to be either from the baby-boomer generation or a student-type person in the 16-30 age group. What's his support like with people aged 35-50? We need some polling.

I turn 40 later this year :)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn does best with 25-34s and 35-45s and worst with 65+
    http://comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/SM-IoS_Political-Poll_16th-August-2015-2542.pdf (page 20)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

http://comres.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/SM-IoS_Political-Poll_16th-August-2015-2542.pdf (page 20)
    Hmm Seems I am peak Corbyn demographic !
  • Options

AndyJS said:

You'll be able to go on Saga Holidays, provided you're with a companion over 50.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Hmm Seems I am peak Corbyn demographic !
    Surfing the Jezza waves!
  • Options

Speedy said:

Scott_P said:

Thanks for the advice. It's a Win 7 machine I have had for years. It's so old I nearly binned it last year when the fan died, but when I phoned my supplier to buy a new machine he gave the number of someone who sold me a new fan instead. Unlucky...

Wait then. 7 has no problems that need fixing, let others deal with the teething problems.

I wish I wasn't too impatient to follow my own advice now!
    You can always try Linux if you're having problems with Win10.
    That was the solution for many who had the misfortune of having Win8, it was either Linux or having to wait for Microsoft to replace it with Win9, but it was so bad Microsoft rushed Win8.1 as a stop gap.
    It bemuses me why there is so much mystery about why Windows skipped Win9. The reason is nothing to do with marking a distance from Win8 as the BBC keeps reporting. Win9 technically would cause havoc with many programs as Win9x is decoded as meaning Windows 95 or Windows 98.

There are multiple legacy programs out there that are set not to work if the OS contains the name "Win 9" and undoing that would be far worse than the Millenium Bug was mooted as being.
    I've come across this idea before but I'm afraid it is rubbish. There is no interface that allows an application to get the operating system name from Windows. You have to get the version number and then map that to the user friendly name. So Windows 95 was version 4.0, Windows 98 was 4.1 and so on. Turning to recent versions, Windows Vista was 6.0, Windows 7 was actually 6.1, Windows 8 was 6.2, Windows 8.1 was 6.3 and Windows 10 is 10.0.

I have upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with no issues apart from a bit of fiddling to get Cortana working. Very happy with the upgrade.
  • Options
    In case no-one has said it before, welcome @prh47bridge !
    What's Cortana like for you? I've heard that this feature is a bit of a "marmite" thing.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

You'll be able to go on Saga Holidays, provided you're with a companion over 50.
    That was a joke of course!
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

In case no-one has said it before, welcome @prh47bridge !
    What's Cortana like for you? I've heard that this feature is a bit of a "marmite" thing.

It's made from yeast extract?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I'm curious as to what people think might be a dangerous 1st preference percentage for Corbyn, assuming he is transfer repellent.

Is it 40% or substantially less?

The other question is how likely are the supporters of the other 3 to vote down the card?

Finally will all these new bods who joined for 3 quid actually bother voting?
  • Options

Dair said:

I actually had to go back to 98 once (on a library machine when used to Seven) and it was shocking actually. There are many minor things that have been implemented that made it very frustrating to go back on. All relatively minor changes but from memory eg quick launch buttons on the taskbar, notifications by the clock, a button to minimise all windows etc, the "snap" ability for multitasking were all missing in 98.

Each one minor by itself but cumulatively they're good incremental improvements. Which is the sane way changes should be made, Win 8 broke that and was a disaster as a result - sometimes an incremental improvement is better than a revolution.
    Like driving an old car. No power steering, cluncky gear changes, manual windows, no air conditioning, poor suspension, no cd player, no automatic lights and windscreen wiper etc etc etc.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

That was a joke of course!
    I know!
  • Options
    I've got Windows 8 on my laptop I bought last year. Haven't bothered upgrading to 10 yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Y0kel said:

I'm curious as to what people think might be a dangerous 1st preference percentage for Corbyn, assuming he is transfer repellent.

The other question is how likely are the supporters of the other 3 to vote down the card?

I'd guess that around 42-43% for Corbyn in the first round would mean he'd be more than 50% likely to be elected.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Y0kel said:

"Assuming he is transfer repellent" is where your question falls into a rabbit hole at the first fence. I reckon that about 1 in 4 of votes for Kendall and Cooper will have Corbyn as 2nd preference, and about 1 in 3 of Burnham's votes.
  • Options
    Apols if previously referred to on PB.com but I've just noticed that those nice people at Paddy Power have already settled my bet on Corbyn becoming the next Labour Leader.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

I've got Windows 8 on my laptop I bought last year. Haven't bothered upgrading to 10 yet.

As others have said, upgrade from 8 to 10, but if you've got 7 then stick with that.

Also when upgrading, don't do the standard 'Express Settings' install, target choose the 'customise settings' where you can switch off the MS phone-home bollocks and set up a local account rather than tying your PC to a Live account.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited August 2015
    Why am I not surprised that Corbyn does worst with those with the longest memories, they don't just remember the 1970's, they lived and worked through this period. Its the same with the 1980's too, I was given a lecture about how horrible life was under Thatcher just recently by a young leftie who wasn't even born during this period! He was non too pleased when I told him that far from being a dark period in UK history where I toiled under immense cruelty and hardship. I instead had nothing but good memories of leaving home, training as a nurse and then working in the NHS while I partied my way through to the nineties to the sound of some great 80's music!
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

• Options
    Sandpit said:

As others have said, upgrade from 8 to 10, but if you've got 7 then stick with that.

Also when upgrading, don't do the standard 'Express Settings' install, target choose the 'customise settings' where you can switch off the MS phone-home bollocks and set up a local account rather than tying your PC to a Live account.
    Sounds like good advice. What Re the official names of these functions? Anything else to skip?
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

Dair said:

Well, he would sweep England for a start! :wink:
    Cannot give MSM to do to him they did to Milaband claiming he would be in SNP pocket. Fact is on social issues they & Corbyn normally agree. Saying no more powers to Scot did not stop Daily Record saying he might bring trust (even if as policy he broke the vow on powers).

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

Sandpit said:

Sounds like good advice. What Re the official names of these functions? Anything else to skip?
    Here is a good guide, with screenshots.
    http://dottech.org/185241/how-to-manage-privacy-settings-in-windows-10-tip/
    The trick is to look around for what else is on the screen other than the 'Next" button!

Of course, make sure before upgrading that you've got a backup of all your data - Windows 8 is actually quite good at this, the application is called File History and uses an external disk in a similar way to Apple's Time Machine http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

If anyone wants more detailled advise feel free to PM me, for my sins I do computers for a living and will do my best to answer any questions.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Here is a good guide, with screenshots.
    http://dottech.org/185241/how-to-manage-privacy-settings-in-windows-10-tip/
    The trick is to look around for what else is on the screen other than the 'Next" button!

Of course, make sure before upgrading that you've got a backup of all your data - Windows 8 is actually quite good at this, the application is called File History and uses an external disk in a similar way to Apple's Time Machine http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

If anyone wants more detailled advise feel free to PM me, for my sins I do computers for a living and will do my best to answer any questions.
    Thanks. I shall give it a shot shortly.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Speedy said:

Goodnight.

I am married to a Hungarian and can assure you it is not just the language that is a mystery when they all get together.