Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Corbyn is finding the more he looks like winning the mor

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited August 2015
    Three weeks till the ballot closes...

http://show.nojam.com/a2sV/feature1.php?c=0&b=2

Although, are there many left to vote?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

DavidL said:

I was worried I was going to be burned out/bored of politics after the election, but this Labour leadership has been so energising.

I have found it a bit depressing to be honest and have probably been posting less as a result. A competent government needs.a competent opposition. We don't have one.

The really depressing thing is that it has been shown that there is a significant chunk of Labour that actually think like Jeremy: brainless, thoughtless anti-American, anti capitalist morons. Most large political parties have their share of nutters. Even a post UKIP Tory party has some. But for these idiots to get where they have shows a once mighty institution to be terminally sick.
    It depressed me as it reminded me of our IDS phase.

But if they elect him, I think it will force Labour to confront reality, we weren't stupid enough to put IDS to the country.
    As SeanF has said, electing Corbyn is more akin to the Tories having elected Theresa Gorman or
    Tony Marlow.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,656

Kin Hell

Moderate Labour MPs have been in discissions how to overthrow hard Left Jeremy Corbyn if he is crowned Labour leader next month, The Telegraph can disclose.

The MPs are understood to have held informal talks about challenging Mr Corbyn when Parliament returns to work next month.

This could see Mr Corbyn fighting for his political life at the party’s annual conference, just days after he has been elected leader.

http://bit.ly/1TWx0m0

I don't follow their logic, to be honest. If Corbyn wins, and is to be the disaster they think, sure they may well need to fight him, and pretty early on too. But mere days? He surely has to be seen to fail on his own terms for a time at least, otherwise there's even less chance of the Left taking it reasonably when he falls (or more likely, is persuaded to step down - he surely would rather do that than see the Tories win). Are they afraid he will do well, or at least enjoy a honeymoon period that would risk the party being too weak to take him on later?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,137

DavidL said:

I was worried I was going to be burned out/bored of politics after the election, but this Labour leadership has been so energising.

I have found it a bit depressing to be honest and have probably been posting less as a result. A competent government needs.a competent opposition. We don't have one.

The really depressing thing is that it has been shown that there is a significant chunk of Labour that actually think like Jeremy: brainless, thoughtless anti-American, anti capitalist morons. Most large political parties have their share of nutters. Even a post UKIP Tory party has some. But for these idiots to get where they have shows a once mighty institution to be terminally sick.

But if they elect him, I think it will force Labour to confront reality, we weren't stupid enough to put IDS to the country.
    Yes the IDS was a similar level of lunacy. Another serial rebel put in charge with no idea what to do next. But at least he didn't support people who thought killing British soldiers was a good thing. That is another whole level of madness for a party wanting elected (presumably).
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    antifrank said:

Jonathan said:

antifrank said:

Jeremy Corbyn has a thirty year Parliamentary record to go over. Given what we've seen so far, I'm assuming there are plenty more tasty morsels to amuse our palates yet.

I am not a Corbyn supporter, but it is surely sad that a 30 year parliamentary career is just a source of juicy stories.

If so, we're doomed to be governed by foetuses and empty suits.
    A long career is only a worthwhile career if it is devoted to good causes. Jeremy Corbyn has snuggled up to a remarkable number of awful causes. We can expect more to emerge.

Of course, the ABC candidates are so useless that it has only just occurred to them to go digging.
    Andy Burnham has been an MP for 14 years, witohut attracting anything like the skeletons.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

JWisemann said:

I think it's clear by their frothing and false bravado the PB Tories are rattled. They've won their first majority in decades on a historically record low vote, and with absolutely minimal enthusiasm even amongst their voters. And it's only downhill from here. Now they don't even have the safety net of a weak, acquiescent, pointless Labour Party facing them. The spectre of a genuine grassroots movement in control of a mainstream party is looming, which after a few more years of broken promises and declining living standards will be looking more and more attractive. Because they will make such an effort to rig the next election using all the establishment levers at their disposal - reducing the number of MPs whilst stacking the unelected lords, making it harder for the poor and rootless to vote, amongst many other nefarious plans - they'll be very hard to turf out next time. But their majority can certainly be scuppered, rendering them toothless and moribund (no other party will go into coalition with them for many years after seeing how the lib dems were chewed up and spat out) and the rules of the game will be changed for the next political generation.

This is it guys - enjoy the next month, have your fun, enjoy your hubris - it's downhill from here.

Not sure what happened to Tories for Corbyn. I think most non Lab voters on who snook through the net here voted against Jezza as 1st choice.
    I'll be voting for the Tory lass 1st choice.

Have a sub 50% bet on Jezza I need to try and win. Liz is going out 1st round anyway so it's effectively a vote for Jez ;)
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Actually, unlike Wiseman, whom I do like but I really do not agree with at the minute; I think you have something here. The horse thing is great. I'm ready to jump on---yeeee haaaaaa. Go Jezza you ole buckin boy.

I still think Labour need a Corbyn win. They're fecked at the minute- if you think the likes of Burnham and Cooper are the answer, then gawd knows what question you're asking and the whole drawn out leadership contest has been an embarrassment.
    Labour need something radical to shake them up, to make them realise just how out of touch they've become. Sure, he's unelectable, but Corbyn is that something to bring it all crashing down. It's gonna be a wild ride for the next few years, but Labour need to get on the horse!

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    JWisemann said:

I think it's clear by their frothing and false bravado the PB Tories are rattled. They've won their first majority in decades on a historically record low vote, and with absolutely minimal enthusiasm even amongst their voters. And it's only downhill from here. Now they don't even have the safety net of a weak, acquiescent, pointless Labour Party facing them. The spectre of a genuine grassroots movement in control of a mainstream party is looming, which after a few more years of broken promises and declining living standards will be looking more and more attractive. Because they will make such an effort to rig the next election using all the establishment levers at their disposal - reducing the number of MPs whilst stacking the unelected lords, making it harder for the poor and rootless to vote, amongst many other nefarious plans - they'll be very hard to turf out next time. But their majority can certainly be scuppered, rendering them toothless and moribund (no other party will go into coalition with them for many years after seeing how the lib dems were chewed up and spat out) and the rules of the game will be changed for the next political generation.

This is it guys - enjoy the next month, have your fun, enjoy your hubris - it's downhill from here.

http://youtu.be/hw3CE04LGiA
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387

Kin Hell

Corbyn could face Labour MPs' coup 'within days of being elected leader'

Moderate Labour MPs have been in discissions how to overthrow hard Left Jeremy Corbyn if he is crowned Labour leader next month, The Telegraph can disclose.

The MPs are understood to have held informal talks about challenging Mr Corbyn when Parliament returns to work next month.

This could see Mr Corbyn fighting for his political life at the party’s annual conference, just days after he has been elected leader.

Who is leaking this though? Most plots are leaked by the plotters... yet it seems very counterproductive at the moment.
  • Options

DavidL said:

As SeanF has said, electing Corbyn is more akin to the Tories having elected Theresa Gorman or
    Tony Marlow.
    I liked Theresa Gorman.

Plus she backed Ken Clarke in 97 and 01
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Jonathan said:

antifrank said:

Jeremy Corbyn has a thirty year Parliamentary record to go over. Given what we've seen so far, I'm assuming there are plenty more tasty morsels to amuse our palates yet.

I am not a Corbyn supporter, but it is surely sad that a 30 year parliamentary career is just a source of juicy stories.

He chose his causes and he chose the fight he's taken on now.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

AndyJS said:

This is the best August ever for politics fans. Great entertainment value.

1931?
    August 1931 really was something to behold.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited August 2015
    FPT:

I can't believe someone at uni doesn't know what a blog is. Especially given how much my generation knows about technology and the internet in general.

What are you up to at Uni? Seem quite interested in current affairs.

Is education wasted if you take a job that doesn't need it? Only if you consider that all investments need to be repaid in cold cash rather than personal development.

Politics and History :)

I think for many, going to uni is better than being unemployed for 3 years. Also, it feels like having a degree is mandatory to even compete in the job market.
    kle4 said:

All about dem reddit's and tumblr's now, innit?

LOL.

Reddit's website layout is terrible. God I hate that site.

As for tumblr, the whole point of it is setting up your own blog, and then posting things (whether it be written posts, gifs, pictures etc) or reblogging the stuff your followers post (or reblog) which you can see on your dash. So anyone on tumblr who doesn't know what a blog is....well I'm worried for them.

Well, Miss, I would class a nonsense degree as one which will be regarded as such by any potential employer. You can do your own research to find good examples but they are commonly found under the heading of Joint Honours issued by low grade universities; Medieval Pottery and Flower Arranging, Dance and Computer Studies, that sort of thing.

Please don't tell me about the academic rigour that is an essential part of all degrees, I have sat on the boards verifying some of rubbish that an ex-poly flogs to innocent, unsuspecting dupes, I mean students.

There are some ex-ploys that are decent e.g. Keele and Brunel. All the others tend be 'meh' though.

And I've never met anyone who has done those degrees.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827
    Pulpstar said:

JWisemann said:

Not sure what happened to Tories for Corbyn. I think most non Lab voters on who snook through the net here voted against Jezza as 1st choice.
    I'll be voting for the Tory lass 1st choice.

Have a sub 50% bet on Jezza I need to try and win. Liz is going out 1st round anyway so it's effectively a vote for Jez ;)
    I reckon Kendall will come last but not as badly last as the polls suggest
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

antifrank said:

Churchill and Thatcher would not win the leadership today. Too much form.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    If true surely Lord Hall must stand down. And then be taken to the Tower.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/11813249/Lord-Hall-threatened-to-overshadow-Budget-after-TV-licence-row.html
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    edited August 2015

JWisemann said:

That's what you said prior to May, particularly to those PB Tories who were saying the Tories would get 300 plus MP
    No - I didn't think labour deserved to win as they were being so gutless, and I thought Miliband was a waste of space, but thought they would squeeze in by default given the (obviously not to be trusted) polls and other factors. I misjudged the sheer malevolent ruthlessness of the Tories (which I begrudgingly admire in a sort of rooting for the villain kind of way) and their ability to stand beside the lib dems (in the UK) and labour (in Scotland) and then turn around and destroy them with their own toxicity before sweeping up control of the ashes. However the Tories have blown their paltry wads on that front and its downhill all the way. My only mistake was in the timing - like something from a horror film, I should have remembered they keep coming back. But they will be screwed for a long time before long in the grand scheme of things.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    kle4 said:

Kin Hell

I don't follow their logic, to be honest. If Corbyn wins, and is to be the disaster they think, sure they may well need to fight him, and pretty early on too. But mere days? He surely has to be seen to fail on his own terms for a time at least, otherwise there's even less chance of the Left taking it reasonably when he falls (or more likely, is persuaded to step down - he surely would rather do that than see the Tories win). Are they afraid he will do well, or at least enjoy a honeymoon period that would risk the party being too weak to take him on later?
    There’s a real sense of panic amongst a lot of otherwise sensible Labour MPs – they just feel they need to say ‘something’ no matter how stupid or implausible.

It will all come to nothing imho.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Is Mr Harper posting again tonight?
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

That's what you said prior to May, particularly to those PB Tories who were saying the Tories would get 300 plus MP
    No - I didn't think labour deserved to win as they were being so gutless, and I thought Miliband was a waste of space, but thought they would squeeze in by default given the (obviously not to be trusted) polls and other factors. I misjudged the sheer malevolent ruthlessness of the Tories (which I begrudgingly admire in a sort of rooting for the villain kind of way) and their ability to stand beside the lib dems (in the UK) and labour (in Scotland) and then turn around and destroy them with their own toxicity before sweeping up control of the ashes. However the Tories have blown their paltry wads on that front and its downhill all the way. My only mistake was in the timing - like something from a horro film, I should have remembered they keep coming back. But they will be screwed for a long time before long in the grand scheme of things.
    EMWNBPM!!
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    JWisemann said:

I think it's clear by their frothing and false bravado the PB Tories are rattled.

Usually Roger runs away with the "stupidest comment of the year" but it looks like he will have some competition for once.

PB Tories laughed at Ed winning, and that laughter was dismissed by Labour supporters, but it was sincere, and we all know they were right, Labour picked a loser.

Now Jeremy Corbyn is the sort of Labour candidate PB Tories dream of, he makes Ed Miliband look palatable, if anything PB Tories simply can not believe that Labour are about to do what Labour are about to do. Rest assured PB Tories really do think he will be a total f*cking disaster for Labour Party. Only time will tell if they are correct, but do not doubt their sincerity, they mean what they say.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    edited August 2015

JWisemann said:

Not sure what happened to Tories for Corbyn. I think most non Lab voters on PB who sneeked through the net here voted against Jezza as 1st choice.
    I suggest that the vast majority of non Lab Corbyn Supporters will just be keeping quiet and voting.

Anyone really intending to do some damage - e g if my cat Mr Felix Domesticus had a vote - would be far more effective as ridicule after the result is announced.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,804
    tyson said:

Actually, unlike Wiseman, whom I do like but I really do not agree with at the minute; I think you have something here. The horse thing is great. I'm ready to jump on---yeeee haaaaaa. Go Jezza you ole buckin boy.

I still think Labour need a Corbyn win. They're fecked at the minute- if you think the likes of Burnham and Cooper are the answer, then gawd knows what question you're asking and the whole drawn out leadership contest has been an embarrassment.
    Labour need something radical to shake them up, to make them realise just how out of touch they've become. Sure, he's unelectable, but Corbyn is that something to bring it all crashing down. It's gonna be a wild ride for the next few years, but Labour need to get on the horse!

But is electing Corbyn with the intent of getting rid of him any more sensible than nominating Corbyn with the intent of getting rid of him?

Who knows, maybe Corbyn could be elected PM by the general public - purely with the intent of getting rid of him, you understand?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited August 2015
    Omnium said:
    30 years ago when there were only 3 channels, it would be a serious loss. But now, with hundred of alternatives on offer, the departure of BBC2 would be tolerable. Perhaps the corporation would focus on quality rather than quantity.

Interesting that the threat was to reduce the availability of what the license fee payer is handing their hard earned cash over for, rather than slashing management numbers. It says a lot about the mind-set over at Broadcasting House.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

No - I didn't think labour deserved to win as they were being so gutless, and I thought Miliband was a waste of space, but thought they would squeeze in by default given the (obviously not to be trusted) polls and other factors. I misjudged the sheer malevolent ruthlessness of the Tories (which I begrudgingly admire in a sort of rooting for the villain kind of way) and their ability to stand beside the lib dems (in the UK) and labour (in Scotland) and then turn around and destroy them with their own toxicity before sweeping up control of the ashes. However the Tories have blown their paltry wads on that front and its downhill all the way. My only mistake was in the timing - like something from a horror film, I should have remembered they keep coming back. But they will be screwed for a long time before long in the grand scheme of things.
    When MaxPB talked about the possibility of the Tories having 300 plus MPs you said

Not going to happen, unless you are living in PB Tory fantasist world.
    Oh right…

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/572073/#Comment_572073
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

When MaxPB talked about the possibility of the Tories having 300 plus MPs you said

Oh right…

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/572073/#Comment_572073
    Thankfully we are living in PB Tory fantasist world :)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

antifrank said:

Churchill and Thatcher would not win the leadership today. Too much form.
    Churchill would certainly not as he was only trusted with domestic policy in 1951 by which time he had stopped ranting about fakirs and Gestapos, while the Thatcher-era equivalent is Keith Joseph who indeed had form.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Oh right…

Boo Flashbacks.
  • Options
    RobD said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Oh right…

Been a fantastic world since 10pm on May 7th
  • Options
    Another rattled PB Tory fantasist

@itvnews: Cooper tells @itvnews: Corbyn has questions to answer over link with banned activist http://www.itv.com/news/2015-08-19/corbyn-must-answer-questions-on-alleged-links-to-extremist-figures-says-yvette-cooper/
  • Options
    As I said I underestimated the Tories ability to deploy their own toxicity to their own nefarious advantage. They've blown that wad now and don't have much left to play with.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Kin Hell

Simon Danczuk said about a week ago that the campaign to get rid of Corbyn starts on day one, if not before.
  • Options
    The most ridiculous thing about this whole election shambles is it matters not a jot now if they vote him as leader or they don't.

Either way the trouble will start . They really are utterly totally fecked.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

As I said I underestimated the Tories ability to deploy their own toxicity to their own nefarious advantage. They've blown that wad now and don't have much left to play with.

So you were wrong.

PB labourites, always wrong, never learn
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

It's been a revelation to me to discover just how conservative very left wing people are. It seems the ideas haven't developed since 1970 - 1980.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

It's been a revelation to me to discover just how conservative very left wing people are. It seems the ideas haven't developed since 1970 - 1980.
    No, we just prefer policies from 1970-1980 to policies from 1870-1880.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Moses_ said:

The most ridiculous thing about this whole election shambles is it matters not a jot now if they vote him as leader or they don't.

Yeah the Labour Party now has fleas, and it's going to be a hell of a job to get rid of them all.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

TGOHF said:

Make a list of the enemies of Britain and the British way of life - chances are Jeremy is a fan.

Err... Hezbollah and Hamas have nothing to do with the UK, in fact both are enemies of ISIS who ARE actually enemies of the UK and who were armed by the Tories in Syria and Libya. If you consider israel and the UK's interests to align, maybe, 70% of the population disagree though.

The Tories armed Islamic extremists in Syria, Libya, Afghanistan and many more, all of whom pose a grave threat to normal UK citizens. Jeremy chatted to some people who represent no threat to the UK at all.

He hasn't just met them. He's described them as his friends, and one as an honoured citizen. You can keep on claiming that he "just" met them, but I'll keep on correcting you.

And I'm sure Hamas and Hezbollah are big fans of liberal democratic values.

Jezbollah is going to be the most anti-Western leader any major party in the UK has even chosen.
    Sorry but why should we give a flying proverbial if he's anti-'Western'? Anti-British (which he may well be) is a problem. Anti a meaningless but constantly repeated geographical expression meaning everyone who does what America says, is not. In fact, it's refreshing, and considering the inevitable shifts in world status, perhaps diplomatically useful.
    Anti-Western is a problem if it means moving us away from the civilised world and cosying up to Putin.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JICILL
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Moses_ said:

Yes. The only thing that could make it worse would be a protracted legal battle.

@GdnPolitics: Leaked notes reveal Labour ignored legal advice over new membership http://t.co/ltYdATtP2n

Oh...
  • Options

JWisemann said:

So you were wrong.

Even the most accurate clock has to be adjusted from time to time. Equally the PB Tory brand of stopped timepiece has it's occasional moment of glory.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

@itvnews: Cooper tells @itvnews: Corbyn has questions to answer over link with banned activist http://www.itv.com/news/2015-08-19/corbyn-must-answer-questions-on-alleged-links-to-extremist-figures-says-yvette-cooper/

Hasn’t Cooper had the past 18 years or so to ask these inconvenient questions - why now?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/08/can-jeremy-corbyn-and-labour-mps-learn-get-along
    "On the morning of 12 September at the QEII Centre in Westminster, Jeremy Corbyn will be declared the new leader of the Labour Party. This is the outcome that almost all MPs now expect. A result that scriptwriters would have rejected as too outlandish before the contest began is regarded as near inevitable. Given the number of ballots returned in the first week of voting, the game may already be over."
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JICILL
    I don't think he's crap. I'm putting the finishing touches on Sunday's piece entitled

"Corbyn as PM, it could happen, here's how"
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

*playthings violently exit baby transportation carriage*
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Wrong on so many levels, but most egregious is the notion that Tories only have paltry wads to blow....
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    This sounds like one out of SeanT's book. Slovakia will now only accept Christian migrants from Syria:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33986738
  • Options
    Under the legal advice, people known to have voted for other parties according to Labour canvass returns would have been asked to confirm again that they really did support its aims and values. But the party’s procedure committee voted to take no action.

That is what has happened isn't it?
  • Options

Kin Hell

There was constant chatter about unseating GB from Lab MP's too pre 2010.
    Sod all happened as they're a bunch of spineless goons.
    Tbf it gave PB plenty of opportunities for threads, but nothing amounted to much.

• Options

Under the legal advice, people known to have voted for other parties according to Labour canvass returns would have been asked to confirm again that they really did support its aims and values. But the party’s procedure committee voted to take no action.

Labour are run by a bunch of incompetents. Until they change this, decisions like this will be made.
  • Options
    Maybe SouthamObserver could have a private chat with you sometime. The Tories aren't rattled, they're cock-a-hoop. Don't forget that even Blair wasn't able to win the popular vote in England in 2005.
    JWisemann said:

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    JWisemann said:

On the other hand, they'll be starting from a notional majority of around 50. Labour has a long way to go to catch up, especially with Scotland no longer being an automatic source of 40 seats.
  • Options
    What kind of vile anti-British scum would sell off most of our publically owned assets to foreign oligarchs and states, suborn our foreign policy to overseas powers, arm Islamic extremists who wish us ill, and take their orders from propagandists from the other side of the globe?
    Oh, and Jeremy is well out of order too, for having supported an end to apartheid, a peaceful solution to the Irish troubles, and a just resolution to the oppression of the Palestinians. All of which has made the world a much more dangerous place for the average citizen of the UK of course.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    “I can’t tell you how pleased I am that I nominated Jeremy,” Frank Field, the chair of the work and pensions select committee, told me. “The longer it goes on, the thinner the post-Blair gruel that the other candidates offer us appears. It is going to change the debate and, at the end of the day, we’ll owe Jeremy a huge thanks.”
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/08/can-jeremy-corbyn-and-labour-mps-learn-get-along
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    'troublesome'...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Maybe SouthamObserver could have a private chat with you sometime. The Tories aren't rattled, they're cock-a-hoop. Don't forget that even Blair wasn't able to win the popular vote in England in 2005.

JWisemann said:

2005?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    JWisemann said:

What kind of vile anti-British scum would sell off most of our publically owned assets to foreign oligarchs and states, suborn our foreign policy to overseas powers, arm Islamic extremists who wish us ill, and take their orders from propagandists from the other side of the globe?
    Oh, and Jeremy is well out of order too, for having supported an end to apartheid, a peaceful solution to the Irish troubles, and a just resolution to the oppression of the Palestinians. All of which has made the world a much more dangerous place for the average citizen of the UK of course.

Look at yourself as others see you. This kind of stupid stuff is EXACTLY what toxified the Tories, except they had pals of apartheid rather than Hezbollah.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Hilarious. But thank you anyway for the free psychological profile of the typical leftie nutjob.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Anger management course not working?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

JWisemann said:

2005?
    Well if even Blair at the height of his post-Iraq war popularity and credibility couldn't manage it, who am I to talk?

• Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Wrong on so many levels, but most egregious is the notion that Tories only have paltry wads to blow....
    There are not enough levels or circles in hell to describe how wrong he is. This simple fact neatly exemplifies how many umm... Labours of Hercules er... Labour are about to go through - win lose or draw.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

It's been a revelation to me to discover just how conservative very left wing people are.
    Outside of a very few people, I think almost everyone is pretty conservative to be honest. Truly momentous changes are rare, which is presumably why we sometimes make incremental things look like they are more radical than they in fact are.

Hasn’t Cooper had the past 18 years or so to ask these inconvenient questions - why now?
    Despite frequent rebellions, I presume in general he can still be counted on to vote more often for the party than against. As such, it's not been worth the central party trying to take him on locally to get him deselected I would have thought. Same sort of principle for all serial rebels, on whatever side. Outright lunacy would not be a concern as they won't impact policy development or public perception - Corbyn could now change both.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    JWisemann said:

See the thing is, people like him wore cool T shirts and told everyone how apartheid should be ended and Mandela released. Except the government of South Africa wasnt listening to people like him.

They were listening to people like this woman who didnt wear a T shirt, but used her influence to get him released.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/apr/10/margaret-thatcher-apartheid-mandela

"I was briefed off-the-record by her foreign affairs adviser on several occasions, but when he told me that she had called on the then president, PW Botha, to release Nelson Mandela, I found it difficult to believe. I did not report it as I could not source it. But it was true. In a letter to Botha in October 1985 she wrote: "I continue to believe, as I have said to you before, that the release of Nelson Mandela would have more impact than almost any single action you could undertake."

When Botha stepped down after a stroke in 1989, he was replaced by FW de Klerk, who met Thatcher at Downing Street in June. I was among a group of journalists waiting outside No 10 with the promise that he would give a press conference straight after. We watched him leave then ran up Whitehall to the South African embassy where he had promised to speak. He did not turn up. We were told later that he had been too shocked by Thatcher's vehemence.

Mandela was released on 11 February 1990"
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

“I can’t tell you how pleased I am that I nominated Jeremy,” Frank Field, the chair of the work and pensions select committee, told me. “The longer it goes on, the thinner the post-Blair gruel that the other candidates offer us appears. It is going to change the debate and, at the end of the day, we’ll owe Jeremy a huge thanks.”

Good article
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    The Campaign Group must be absolutely kicking themselves that they didn't foresee the possibility of Corbyn winning. Because there must be people on the left of Labour party who are genuinely leadership material, do not have decades of historic baggage to be exploited, and have far less on record such that they could make emollient noises to the rest of the Labour Party and the country to keep the party united long enough to get the polls moving in their direction by picking issues to establish clear red water carefully (whilst having the time to transform the party organisation to the left). A Tsipras type character.

Because they could probably have won - Corbyn is not winning primarily because he is Corbyn (although being Corbyn rather than Diane Abbott obviously helps). Instead Corbyn will win, but the party will fall apart within weeks. And they will never get another chance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

What if you've never been canvassed before ?
  • Options
    My one doubt about the presumed Corbyn victory is that there is just the possibility that the Internet based polls are obscuring the fact that his success is being driven by social media, and there is likely to be a heavy skew in internet savvy vs non-internet savvy voters, which might call into question whether YouGov are missing a whole swathe of the selectorate. However there are so many of the former registered that it is probably irrelevant.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    alex. said:

The Campaign Group must be absolutely kicking themselves that they didn't foresee the possibility of Corbyn winning. Because there must be people on the left of Labour party who are genuinely leadership material, do not have decades of historic baggage to be exploited, and have far less on record such that they could make emollient noises to the rest of the Labour Party and the country to keep the party united long enough to get the polls moving in their direction by picking issues to establish clear red water carefully (whilst having the time to transform the party organisation to the left). A Tsipras type character.

Because they could probably have won - Corbyn is not winning primarily because he is Corbyn (although being Corbyn rather than Diane Abbott obviously helps). Instead Corbyn will win, but the party will fall apart within weeks. And they will never get another chance.

As that New Statesman article says, Clive Lewis is the one to watch as a possible successor to Corbyn before the 2020 election. He's left-wing, but younger, good in the media, and has served in the Army* so would be impossible to paint as a "traitor to Britain".

* Correction, he served in the Reserves
  • Options
    "This is it guys - enjoy the next month, have your fun, enjoy your hubris - it's downhill from here."

Tic Tockism? Surely not, so soon after the election.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Very good point - anyone spring to mind?
  • Options

She thought the madman was safely locked in the attic. never in her wildest nightmares did she ever think her fellow MPs would actually let him escape. Not only that, she never dreamed that once out he would be made a gift of the matches to burn the house down. The fact that anybody would want to burn the house down whilst she was in it certainly never occurred to her.

You might expect that at even this late date Corbyn would be found out - but as we read here the lunatics are already forming a management committee to run the asylum. I've given up trying to work it out.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

alex. said:

As that New Statesman article says, Clive Lewis is the one to watch as a possible successor to Corbyn before the 2020 election. He's left-wing, but younger, good in the media, and has served in the Army* so would be impossible to paint as a "traitor to Britain".

I really like Richard Burgon too.

Have you voted yet?
  • Options
    Fantastic PB Tory Propaganda piece, Mike!
  • Options
    Sky News: black man fatally shot by police in Missouri.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

If they want to suck on a used tampax, then that really is up to them. Personally, I can think of better ways to enjoy a blow job.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited August 2015
    FPT:

Kier Starmer v Tristam Hunt will be the next contest.

David Miliband ? You will just need to mention the word "rendition".

Hunt will carry the Blairite torch. Guaranteed defeat, particularly after Chilcot [ ? ]. He will be the Torygraph's favourite candidate.

Starmer will be criticised for some botched prosecution or other. However, successful prosecutions will be used to counteract that.

But, he will be portrayed as someone who held "real" jobs in his working career. Something of a novelty these days.
  • Options
    Are all the votes being counted in one place? 600,000 is a lot to handle at one facility. Even the old European constituencies didn't have that many voters.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What if you've never been canvassed before ?
    Engels must have written you off!!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sky News: black man fatally shot by police in Missouri.

Is that news ?
  • Options

JEO said:

JWisemann said:

TGOHF said:

Make a list of the enemies of Britain and the British way of life - chances are Jeremy is a fan.

Err... Hezbollah and Hamas have nothing to do with the UK, in fact both are enemies of ISIS who ARE actually enemies of the UK and who were armed by the Tories in Syria and Libya. If you consider israel and the UK's interests to align, maybe, 70% of the population disagree though.

The Tories armed Islamic extremists in Syria, Libya, Afghanistan and many more, all of whom pose a grave threat to normal UK citizens. Jeremy chatted to some people who represent no threat to the UK at all.

He hasn't just met them. He's described them as his friends, and one as an honoured citizen. You can keep on claiming that he "just" met them, but I'll keep on correcting you.

And I'm sure Hamas and Hezbollah are big fans of liberal democratic values.

Jezbollah is going to be the most anti-Western leader any major party in the UK has even chosen.
    Sorry but why should we give a flying proverbial if he's anti-'Western'? Anti-British (which he may well be) is a problem. Anti a meaningless but constantly repeated geographical expression meaning everyone who does what America says, is not. In fact, it's refreshing, and considering the inevitable shifts in world status, perhaps diplomatically useful.
    Anti-Western is a problem if it means moving us away from the civilised world and cosying up to Putin.
    Mr luckyguy is a conspiracy junky, anti-american racist.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    AndyJS said:

Kin Hell

Simon Danczuk said about a week ago that the campaign to get rid of Corbyn starts on day one, if not before.
    The problem with any such move is that it will fatally fracture the relationship between the grass roots and the MPs. If, as looks possible, Corbyn wins an outright majority on the first ballot, the membership (as a whole) will have spoken. The MPs have two choices - one is to abide by the democratic will of the majority of paying members or to leave the party.

Trying to overturn the will of the membership will be fatal for the party.

A mass resignation of MPs to form a new party would, in many ways, be less damaging. It would be a painful period - but not as dangerous as trying to kick out a leader who has just been elected with a significant mandate.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

alex. said:

I really like Richard Burgon too.

Have you voted yet?
    I'm going to keep dithering until the last few days!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    notme said:

JWisemann said:

What kind of vile ante.

"I was briefed off-the-record by her foreign affairs adviser on several occasions, but when he told me that she had called on the then president, PW Botha, to release Nelson Mandela, I found it difficult to believe. I did not report it as I could not source it. But it was true. In a letter to Botha in October 1985 she wrote: "I continue to believe, as I have said to you before, that the release of Nelson Mandela would have more impact than almost any single action you could undertake.

Yep, ok, Maggie, whose husband was neck deep in apartheid business deals, and who called the ANC terrorists (funny how Jeremy isn't smeared with regards supporting those terrorists nowadays) was actually responsible for the end of apartheid. Only in the brains of the chronically demented loony right.

• Options
    surbiton said:

FPT:

Kier Starmer v Tristam Hunt will be the next contest.

David Miliband ? You will just need to mention the word "rendition".

Hunt will carry the Blairite torch. Guaranteed defeat, particularly after Chilcot [ ? ]. He will be the Torygraph's favourite candidate.

Starmer will be criticised for some botched prosecution or other. However, successful prosecutions will be used to counteract that.

But, he will be portrayed as someone who held "real" jobs in his working career. Something of a novelty these days.

I think Jarvis will be in the mix. Fresh. Strong backstory. Personable. Starmer has baggage that will hamper him. And Hunt - well he is just a spoonerism waiting to happen.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited August 2015
    @surbiton FPT

I spend the weekend with someone who worked very closely with Starmer while he was at the CPS - she ran one of his stakeholders. She was not complimentary (despite being a swing voter). There are a lot of skeletons if you know where to look.
  • Options
    notme said:

JWisemann said:

See the thing is, people like him wore cool T shirts and told everyone how apartheid should be ended and Mandela released. Except the government of South Africa wasnt listening to people like him.

They were listening to people like this woman who didnt wear a T shirt, but used her influence to get him released.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/apr/10/margaret-thatcher-apartheid-mandela

"I was briefed off-the-record by her foreign affairs adviser on several occasions, but when he told me that she had called on the then president, PW Botha, to release Nelson Mandela, I found it difficult to believe. I did not report it as I could not source it. But it was true. In a letter to Botha in October 1985 she wrote: "I continue to believe, as I have said to you before, that the release of Nelson Mandela would have more impact than almost any single action you could undertake."

When Botha stepped down after a stroke in 1989, he was replaced by FW de Klerk, who met Thatcher at Downing Street in June. I was among a group of journalists waiting outside No 10 with the promise that he would give a press conference straight after. We watched him leave then ran up Whitehall to the South African embassy where he had promised to speak. He did not turn up. We were told later that he had been too shocked by Thatcher's vehemence.

The witch is dead !
  • Options
    Charles said:

@surbiton FPT

I spend the weekend with someone who worked very closely with Starmer while he was at the CPS - she ran one of his stakeholders. She was not complimentary (despite being a swing voter). There are a lot of skeletons if you know where to look.

Tell me of someone who does not have a skeleton or two in the cupboard. But something like rendition ? No.
  • Options
    Off-topic - of all Buzzfeed survey type content, this one said to me "share with PB". After the earlier thread a question on 'corporal punishment' might have improved it though.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sophiegadd/how-posh-was-your-school?utm_term=.wa6v8zOJA#.wsg9l9ddD

You ticked off 9 out of 51 on this list!

Your school was fundamentally not posh. Sorry.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Is there anything they have not linked to Corbyn's support for the Palestinian cause (or going back decades to the Irish question in which hindsight proved his approach correct)? The Tories have funded countless groups that have actually killed UK troops.

His approach to Ireland was not correct.

It caused no end of trouble for the government (two members of my family were very heavily involved behind the scenes).

Of course governments talk to terrorists. And of course they deny doing any such thing (or, as I think the phrase is, they say that it would "turn their stomach" - not a denial, of course).

But random backbenchers? Consorting with terrorists? Not something they should be doing.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Just had drinks with two staunch but very thoughtful lefty friends (one of whom is almost UKIP on certain policies). Both of them definitely wanted Corbyn to win - their logic is that Labour needs a shake up, Corbyn is authentic, everyone hates Blair and the Blairites, the others are losers, he can energise the young, look at the grassroots surge.

I agreed, but pointed out that Corbyn simply cannot win a GE in England.

They in turn agreed with this (with caveats - *you never know* etc), but they thought Corbyn would ratchet the political discussion Left (even if he is unelectable) and that he would revive a dying party.

It was persuasive. I now reckon Corbyn is going to win this.
    I have had similar conversations. One of my lefty friends won't vote for Corbyn but is hoping that it will lead to a split - and thus the creation of a new party of the centre left.

He doesn't know whether he would be more at home in a Pure Labour or Realistic Labour party - but he wants that choice.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

AndyJS said:

JWisemann said:

2005?
    Well if even Blair at the height of his post-Iraq war popularity and credibility couldn't manage it, who am I to talk?

I voted LD in GE2005. They won Chesterfield too
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Off-topic - of all Buzzfeed survey type content, this one said to me "share with PB". After the earlier thread a question on 'corporal punishment' might have improved it though.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/sophiegadd/how-posh-was-your-school?utm_term=.wa6v8zOJA#.wsg9l9ddD

6 out of 51!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    SeanT said:

Just had drinks with two staunch but very thoughtful lefty friends (one of whom is almost UKIP on certain policies). Both of them definitely wanted Corbyn to win - their logic is that Labour needs a shake up, Corbyn is authentic, everyone hates Blair and the Blairites, the others are losers, he can energise the young, look at the grassroots surge.

I agreed, but pointed out that Corbyn simply cannot win a GE in England.

They in turn agreed with this (with caveats - *you never know* etc), but they thought Corbyn would ratchet the political discussion Left (even if he is unelectable) and that he would revive a dying party.

It was persuasive. I now reckon Corbyn is going to win this.
    You know as well as I, SeanT, that Corbyn is at heart a crypto fascist and will do what all potential fuhrers do: debase their own party and it's supporters. He may not in the past sought power, but once he has it he won't let it go.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    JWisemann said:

notme said:

JWisemann said:

What kind of vile ante.

"I was briefed off-the-record by her foreign affairs adviser on several occasions, but when he told me that she had called on the then president, PW Botha, to release Nelson Mandela, I found it difficult to believe. I did not report it as I could not source it. But it was true. In a letter to Botha in October 1985 she wrote: "I continue to believe, as I have said to you before, that the release of Nelson Mandela would have more impact than almost any single action you could undertake.

Yep, ok, Maggie, whose husband was neck deep in apartheid business deals, and who called the ANC terrorists (funny how Jeremy isn't smeared with regards supporting those terrorists nowadays) was actually responsible for the end of apartheid. Only in the brains of the chronically demented loony right.

The man who ended Apartheid in South Africa, released Mandela and instituted free and fair elections said this:
    “[Thatcher] exerted more influence on what happened in South Africa than any other political leader”.

And the ANC were terrorists, the matter of debate is whether their actions justified.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Pro_Rata said:

25/51

Fairly posh.
  • Options
    Whilst i would like to think that a Corbyn victory would encourage the Tories to sit firmly in the centre and ignore their right wing, i think this is wishful thinking on my part. The contrary outcome is that a Corbyn victory will allow the Tories to put forward all manner of crazy right wing policies, because the fact that the opposition comes from a "far left" Labour Party will make it easier for criticism to be dismissed as "ideological" socialist claptrap.

Actually i think the suggestion that the Tories are going to respond to a Corbyn victory by bringing forward trade union legislation and other things strongly opposed to the left will be a mistake, because it will encourage the Labour Party to unite. In the short term it is far better for them that Labour fall about fighting each other, than unite on an electorally unpopular (they assume) platform.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Whilst i would like to think that a Corbyn victory would encourage the Tories to sit firmly in the centre and ignore their right wing, i think this is wishful thinking on my part. The contrary outcome is that a Corbyn victory will allow the Tories to put forward all manner of crazy right wing policies, because the fact that the opposition comes from a "far left" Labour Party will make it easier for criticism to be dismissed as "ideological" socialist claptrap.

Actually i think the suggestion that the Tories are going to respond to a Corbyn victory by bringing forward trade union legislation and other things strongly opposed to the left will be a mistake, because it will encourage the Labour Party to unite. In the short term it is far better for them that Labour fall about fighting each other, than unite on an electorally unpopular (they assume) platform.

Yes the best approach for the Tories is to quietly govern from the centre for four years and save all the juicy details for the election campaign.
  • Options
    12/51 on the posh school test.

Unfortunately I couldn't score points for former PMs being alumni (the great Harold Wilson was the first ever Head Boy at my school).
  • Options

AndyJS said:

This is the best August ever for politics fans. Great entertainment value.

A Tory majority, the Lib Dems obliterated, a wholesale SNP takeover of Scotland, UKIP becoming a laughing stock, and Labour self-destructing and on the verge of electing a Trot as leader.

Who would have predicted any of this a year ago?
    But Cameron's just lucky, isn't he...
  • Options
    KippleKipple Posts: 17
    Pro_Rata said:

It appears to be missing minus points for "shutdown", "renamed to loose the stigma" and "prosecutable act of violence by a pupil or teacher".