Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So much fun, let’s do it all again

Comments

• Options

Senior aide to Liz Kendall says Corbyn has won in the first round with over 60% of the vote.

— Kevin Schofield (@PolhomeEditor) September 12, 2015
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    SeanT said:

On November 25, 1970, novelist Yukio Mishima, having failed to persuade a bewildered nation to convert to political extremism, committed ritual suicide in despair.

Just saying.

And if a bewildered nation fails to purchase your books .... :smile:

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    SeanT said:

DanSmith said:

Kevin Schofield @PolhomeEditor
    Senior aide to Liz Kendall says Corbyn has won in the first round with over 60% of the vote.

My word. Truly a mass suicide. Images from Jonestown spring to mind.
    But, Jones clearly didn't get them all.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

Ha ha. Ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"........... [NO CARRIER]
    Did anyone go for over 60% in the prediction competition?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,200
    edited September 2015
    "Good morning. In less than an hour, Left-wing Activists from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest political battle in the history of mankind.

""Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the 12th of September, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from Austerity. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist.

"And should we win the day, the 12th of September will no longer be known as a Labour Party holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive!"

"Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Considering where the votes have come from, is it possible that Corbyn supporters aren't exactly overwhelming in numbers at the announcement?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

He now owns the Labour Party, knocking Blair's 57% into a cocked hat!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    Sandpit said:

Camerons best tactic will be to be respectful of Corbyn and not bully him.

But behind the scenes his team will be feeding the media with the dirt.

Yes. Cameron will play the ball, focus his disdain on Labour's policies and the party who elected Corbyn, rather than on the man himself.
    That would probably be sensible. If Corbyn is the disaster many think, he will self destruct on his own with little help from Cameron, so important to spread the damage as wide as he can. If Corbyn is not a disaster, then that's still the tactic rather than go for the man and not succeeding because he's doing alright.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BBC Story headline 'Labour prepare to crown new leader'. Not the most appropriate way to describe a republican likely winning, but never mind.

Maybe its a typo and it should be 'knock his crown off'
  • Options
    kle4 said:

BBC Story headline 'Labour prepare to crown new leader'. Not the most appropriate way to describe a republican likely winning, but never mind.

Think Cromwell. That's English "republicanism".
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,839
    Warm up act due on stage imminently.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Adagio Sehr freirlich und langsam Bruckner's 7th.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Hilarious

https://twitter.com/BBCAllegra/status/642638519513563136?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

'Bit awkward: at Lab announcement next to seats reserved for Andy Burnham's family and Corbyn supporter Michael Meacher tries to nab one.'

The first comment is also funny.

'Yes, we know you're a Tory Allegra. The way you fluttered your eyes at Osborne in election campaign interviews. Slight giveaway.'
  • Options
    Andrea is having access problems can someone advise how to get back on to PB.com
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited September 2015
    From a Tweet on the BBC's live news page

"Senior aide to Liz Kendall says Corbyn has won in the first round with over 60% of the vote."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-34205207
  • Options
    JC unbackable. 1.01 to lay
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

30 mins to JICILL

And we can formally start saying JCWNBPM!!!!!
    JICIPM!!
  • Options
    Over 60% would be astonishing. I know the others have been poor, so perhaps even some who do not agree with Corbyn's policies or pronouncements think he would be the best choice, but that would still be a shock.

Kendall under 5%?
  • Options
    PB.com looking weird on Firefox!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    dr_spyn said:

Andrea is having access problems can someone advise how to get back on to PB.com

It's really slow loading PB.com. Comments thread is available on http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/2945/politicalbetting-com-blog-archive-so-much-fun-let-s-do-it-all-again#latest
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Looks like nearly all the £3 registered voters plumped for Corbyn .. perhaps as much as 90%

Andrew Neil tweet
  • Options
    Iain McNicol, what a twatshowman
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Do Scottish PBers think Corbyn will make inroads into the SNP vote?

And if so how much?

No , they have elected another set of donkeys and are too busy infighting East versus west to have any hope whatsoever.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

Moi.
  • Options
    LBC saying someone in Cooper camp has told them Corbyn has won.
  • Options
    x-factor style continues
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    The New Messiah just crashed PB?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Sky also reporting JC wins round 1 with over 60%

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.
  • Options

Looks OK now
  • Options
    Cheers for Sadiq!
  • Options
    On Dan Hodges watch:

'The idea Labour MPs have a duty to lie about supporting a leader they fundamentally disagree with is ludicrous.'

Silly man, party unity is all important.

Though seriously, tough for someone to bad mouth Corbyn directly right away I'd have thought, and I still think maybe it's best not to say you won't serve in his Shadow Cabinet, but have him not appoint you (as would be likely for those who are contemplating refusing to serve) - they don't get the stigma of having undermined him before he had a chance, nor of serving under him if he does prove a disaster, and there's always time to worm their way back in if he does ok.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

x-factor style continues

They should have got Dermot O'Leary to be the MC, he's looking for work apparently.

And they could have had Peter Dickson on the PA.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

No offers now Jeremy Corbyn, Cooper 33/1 Burnham 50/1
    Implies that there's only a slight chance that Corbyn has not won on the first count.

LOL
  • Options
    Applause for late John Smith
  • Options
    I think we've experienced more traffic at 11am today than we did when the exit poll came,
  • Options

Must be a first .... accessing PB from a high tech Russian military plane.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Corbyn planning to have rotating loyalists at PMQs instead of coin it himself says the Sun.

Dave v Diane ? There isn't enough popcorn

Leaves himself open to claims that he is scared to go head to head.

It's not like he has any baggage..........
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

15 people did, scroll to bottom of this page...

http://show.nojam.com/a2sY/search.php?b=0&j=5&s_Name=&s_Wnnr=0&o_lcl=data_1000__Corbyn___1015_

• Options
    Its quite daunting to see such a large room packed with people so morally superior to us.
  • Options
    Ma Beckett looks like shes in tears already
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Over 60% would be astonishing. I know the others have been poor, so perhaps even some who do not agree with Corbyn's policies or pronouncements think he would be the best choice, but that would still be a shock.

Kendall under 5%?

I don't know why people keep saying this, it's not astonishing at all. It's been said ad nauseam. This was not an electorate it was a selectorate. A large part of said selectorate did not sign up (undecided) to vote in the Labour Leadership election. They signed up for one reason only - to vote for Jeremy Corbyn. And he (in conjunction with the Unions) was the only one who did any serious early campaigning aimed at the wider electorate (who were theoretically all eligible to vote) for the purpose of getting people to sign up. By the time the others started campaigning the election was already decided.

If he'd been a candidate for the Tory leadership in the same circumstances he would have probably won as well!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

And if so how much?

No , they have elected another set of donkeys and are too busy infighting East versus west to have any hope whatsoever.
    Much maligned animal, the donkey. Why is that?

PB.com - searing political commentary.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Happy Doomsday everyone.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,319
    Internet Explorer keeps crashing on the iplayer site - have switched to Firefox, which seems fine.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    This man is so dull. He had one job. Announce the deputy leader. Get on with it.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Whose this bloke wittering on? JackW will be 110 before this guy shuts up!
  • Options
    "We know from the election how important activism is".

Ie. not very important at all.
  • Options
    Challenging the £3 already...
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

It's coming home!
    It's coming home!
    Labour's coming home!

Coming home to planet Mars!
  • Options
    I trust Labour have ensured only the most loyal of party members are in the hall for theannouncement, people professional enough to look really happy even if they thin Corbyn is a disaster - they don't want a stray shot of Corbyn smiling while Beckett or someone recognizable looks like death in the background.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If Corbyn has got more than 60% it'll be difficult to get rid of him before the 2020 election.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Funereal atmosphere in the room. Hundreds of glum faces.
  • Options

Senior Labour figures now in no doubt Corbyn has won -- their only uncertainty is whether or not he's won over 50% of first preferences ...

— Andrew Neil (@afneil) September 12, 2015

Getting the shadow cabinet together might be fun.

Utter madness from Labour.
  • Options
    Ha ha Harman looks like she is going to be doing exactly that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

DanSmith said:

15 people did, scroll to bottom of this page...

http://show.nojam.com/a2sY/search.php?b=0&j=5&s_Name=&s_Wnnr=0&o_lcl=data_1000__Corbyn___1015_

Shadsy on 59.12%!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If Corbyn has got more than 60% it'll be difficult to get rid of him before the 2020 election.

Only other option is a split - Lib-Dems could soon be back in business!
  • Options
    Looking good for old_labour who went for 61.50%.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

I've just got back in from the supermarket, and a spider's bitten me on my neck.

Let's wait to see if I get any superpowers ...
  • Options

At what time will the mass resignations take place..

I might be laughing to much to notice
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Sandpit said:

Funereal atmosphere in the room.

You need to Unmute your TV or take your ear plugs out
  • Options
    I know it's a common gag he looks and sounds like a Tory, but I honestly always get Tristram Hunt mixed up with Zac Goldsmith, so the shot of him still momentarily confused me.
  • Options
    Speaker is is Iain McNichol, Party Secretary.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Whose this bloke wittering on? JackW will be 110 before this guy shuts up!

Too late ....

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Only other option is a split - Lib-Dems could soon be back in business!
    Ha - it really is back to the 1980s.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

It's coming home!
    It's coming home!
    Labour's coming home!

Coming home to planet Mars!
    No, no Corbyn has nothing to do with Mars, with all its bellicose paraphanalia. They are on the way to Venus, a Labour luvvie love in.
  • Options
    Khan introduced as the "Embodiment of Diversity" - pass the sick bag.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

This man is so dull. He had one job. Announce the deputy leader. Get on with it.

He's trying to give a rousing speech, but it's just dull. Even when he goes for tub-thumping in welcoming Khan to the stage, it's like he's announcing train times.

And Khan is pausing to expect cheers for announcing that he's from South London.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Uniting....

Paul Waugh ✔ @paulwaugh

Labour MP, an avowed antiCorbynista, tells me:"This is just *one* election in *one* part of the Labour party." #ominous

Ummmm. Its the biggest election with every member, affiliate and supporter being able to vote. Isn't that every part of the Labour Party? Or is he trying to claim that the elite should be considered more important than the rest, so they're not represented in a one man one vote democratic election? It's reminiscent of the French First and Second estates refusing to join the National Assembly.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Checking my prediction, my only chance is a booby prize.

But I suppose Labour's got that.
  • Options
    Sadiq!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    This guy emphasising the importance of the London mayoral election over other elections going on next year in Scotland and Wales - unintentionally significant?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

And if so how much?

Much maligned animal, the donkey. Why is that?

PB.com - searing political commentary.
    Kle4, they are pig headed and will not do what anyone wants them to do, thus thought of as stupid. Scottish labour to a tee, thick as mince.
  • Options
    Labour Back To No Future with Jeremy Corbyn.

Will be interesting to see how voters react in the next round of local government by elections, particularly in marginal seats.
  • Options
    Labour really are obsessed with identity politics.
  • Options
    Oh can we just get on with it? I hate funerals
  • Options
    Khan didn't get enough publicity yesterday, so he's being given another go when a few more are watching.
  • Options

Speaker is is Iain McNichol, Party Secretary.

Ironic that this man helped organise the GE campaign and presided over the massive losses in Scotland, the country where he came from.......... Clearly a man in touch with his roots?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    AndyJS said:

Maybe not. If 90% of the £3-ers voted for Corbyn then charges of entryism and voting the cemetry will be irrefutable. I think it would undermine him as being completely unrepresentative and the election as completely flawed.

No doubt, shares in popcorn company prices are rising sharply.
  • Options
    In tribute to Chairman Corbyn, I am reborn. I await with baited breath the details of the new Politburo.

This is a glorious day for revolution!

*this is nothing to do with Vanilla refusing to let me comment*
  • Options
    Khan didn't get such a loud cheer when he mentioned that he was the son of an immigrant - I suspect there are some Labour people who are uncomfortable with party making a thing out of that.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,777
    Not a good start by Sadiq Khan. Irritating me ....
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Sadiq!!!!!!!!

[just for TSE!]

Khaaaaaaaaan!!!!
  • Options
    Mr Khan isnt funny IMO!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Khan introduced as the "Embodiment of Diversity" - pass the sick bag.

How can one person be diverse?
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Not a good start by Sadiq Khan. Irritating me ....

Has he trod on his stumps?
  • Options
    Looks like I just formed part of the denominator.
  • Options
    Yes we Khhaaaannnn
  • Options
    Khan already calling for Unity.
  • Options
    Khan reading Labour's eulogy...
  • Options
    Sadiq Khan now on, has he condemned the racist attack in Brick Lane yet?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Khan didn't get such a loud cheer when he mentioned that he was the son of an immigrant - I suspect there are some Labour people who are uncomfortable with party making a thing out of that.

They seemed to like immigrants being given council housing though.
  • Options
    If Corbyn wins and fights the next election, Labour will be closer in vote share to UKIP than the Tories at the next election IMO.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, you might become Bananaman.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited September 2015
    Sadiq speech interesting on moving *out* of their Council House - being a springboard to move upwards, not a comfortable pad for life.

Hmmm. Calling Mr Dobson?
  • Options
    Is Sadiq Khan using "son of an immigrant" as his main selling point, good or bad for changing attitudes on immigration.
  • Options
    Well at least one of David's predictions has gone wrong. He said we would know in a few minutes.
  • Options
    Boulton: "lots of stony-faces in the audience..."
  • Options
    Is there a good on-line link to watch the LL proceedings please – TIA.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

Funereal atmosphere in the room.

You need to Unmute your TV or take your ear plugs out
    Laura Kuenssberg, who is there, says the atmos is like a hotel accidentally booked a 21st birthday party and a wake - in the same room.
    A good line that.

Sadiq going off message talking about Labour helping people build a better future - says right there on his podium the message is to 'shape the future'. 0 stars.

Also 'friends, let us rally together' - come on Sadiq, a golden opportunity to use 'comrades' there. I'm disappointed in this hard left takeover already.