Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A new day has dawned for Labour as Corbyn wins on the first

Comments

• Options
    taffys said:

Corbyn could start to take a more pragmatic view once he has the responsibility of being party leader. Unlikely perhaps but possible,

That is stodge's view.

But his supporters would go up the wall...

Precisely. He can't be both pragmatic and consistent with his 'authentic' image. If he's moderate, he'll be accused of betrayal by his supporters. There is no way out of this.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

So Corbyn is pledged to tackle homelessness by importing another 50,000 who need homes..good start

Yeahbut he said he needs rents to come down too. How does that work?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Did he just say comradeship?

Burn the commie!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    The first PMQ's is unmissable :grin:
  • Options
    William_H said:

Pong said:

TheWhiteRabbit Wins:

http://show.nojam.com/a2sY/search.php?b=0&j=4&s_Name=&s_Wnnr=0&o_lcl=data_1000_Name_1010

95% of PB'ers underestimated corbyn's share, just 5% overestimated.

Good to bear in mind for future prognostications as to Mr Corbyn's electoral prospects
    We may be out of touch with the selectorate in the Labour party but that is all it is. Guilty of believing that there were more sane people inside Labour than has proven to be the case.
  • Options

Best birthday present ever

Many happy returns of the day TSE - :lol:
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Just 17% for Cooper, probably the best candidate on offer.
  • Options
    Must disagree wholeheartedly.

They've been dying to have someone like him in a major Party. He's annexed the SWP, assorted Trots, hard left Greenies et al.

And the starry-eyed youngsters who don't know any better.

Corbyn will be a goner once Labour are destroyed in the May elections next year.

The loss of the mayoral election, or alternatively the loss of the Tooting by-election will also be big pressure points. But as has been observed with this kind of mandate from the party, he's going to be difficult to shift.
    By the time of May I suspect those who voted for him will have come to their senses - meaning that there is less goodwill towards him, so he'll be easier to shift. They also need to find a candidate to rally around.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Good speech, I didn't expect him to turn the volume up on his voice.

• Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    His attack on freedom of the press is so authoritarian it scares me to death.
  • Options
    Mr. F, Richard the Lionheart and Alexander the Great were both phenomenally lucky (until their sudden deaths at young ages, of course).
  • Options
    BBC saying that 85% of the three quidders voted for Jeremy!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Does JC (not the one from Nazareth) say 'Comrades', call people brothers, and talk about 'this great movement of ours'?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Zero olive branch to defeated blairites, from what I can see.

Let the show trials begin.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Sandpit said:

So Corbyn is pledged to tackle homelessness by importing another 50,000 who need homes..good start

Yeahbut he said he needs rents to come down too. How does that work?
    There's a danger he'll end up talking to London rather than the other 58m of us.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807
    Sandpit said:

"Global Inequality" - does he not realise that the minimum wage in the UK puts you in the global top 1%? Maybe he wants British people to be poorer so Africans and Asians can be wealthier..?

I wouldn't be surprised.
  • Options
    Sandpit That is exactly what he means.. gonna sell well come an election
  • Options
    Just stuck in the full results into the thread header.
  • Options

Martin McGuinness @M_McGuinness_SF

Heartiest congratulations to our friend @jeremycorbyn on his stunning election as the new Leader of the Labour Party. pic.twitter.com/rbmFqXhgZt
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    SeanT said:

Jeremy Corbyn is, possibly, even worse than I expected.

And that is when he is happy about his victory, imagine him on a bad day when he's on the back foot and under some real scrutiny. The guy's one slip of the tongue away from full-on moonbat ranting.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Indeed, he's been keeping that under wraps this campaign in case the 'angry lefty' card put people off - after all, one thing everyone has said is how polite he has been, and that is a positive, but it's harder to sell that when you are also being very loud.

He speaks authentically I have no doubt, but he and his team have been managing his image just like any other politician
  • Options
    The Mail reported that the crane operator was owned by the Bin Laden group.

That surely is karma on 911.
    Tim_B said:

Corbyn wins and a crane collapses into the Grand Mosque in Mecca killing over 100 people, and a gas cylinder explosion at a restaurant in India killing over 80 people..

Is God having a little joke?

• Options
    Pauly said:

I missed that bit, what did he say?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    malcolmg said:

Never even heard of the nobody

That is not really the point Malcolm. The first resignation has happened within minutes of the result. It is not exactly a good omen. The interesting thing will be to see how long it is before the next resignation (if any).

How many rats will openly desert the sinking ship?
  • Options
    JEO said:

Praising the management of the NHS in Wales!

No wonder his Shadow Health Sec quit.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Least bad, at any rate.
  • Options
    BBC's Norman Smith: if Corbyn appoints McDonnell to a position there'll be an explosion in the party.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854
    Be plenty of humble pies being cooked at present as the troughers try to repair the damage and try to curry favour with JC. Hopefully he clears out the dross, but a herculean task.
  • Options

Top trolling by Mike

@MSmithsonPB: You can see why LAB has needed all women shortlists for parliamentary candidates

What % of LD MPs are women or ethnic minorities?
  • Options
    Ooo. Well on the Election Game I had Corbyn winning on the first round with 59.26%. I did get Burnham and Cooper the wrong way round but had 3.92% for Kendall so I reckon I have come pretty close over all.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Morley and Outwood looks really significant now too. A real bona fide Portillo moment.
  • Options
    Corbyn slipped the press censorship bit in rather quickly.. bit ominous..
  • Options
    PlatoSays said:

They've been dying to have someone like him in a major Party. He's annexed the SWP, assorted Trots, hard left Greenies et al.

Corbyn will be a goner once Labour are destroyed in the May elections next year.

The loss of the mayoral election, or alternatively the loss of the Tooting by-election will also be big pressure points. But as has been observed with this kind of mandate from the party, he's going to be difficult to shift.
    By the time of May I suspect those who voted for him will have come to their senses - meaning that there is less goodwill towards him, so he'll be easier to shift. They also need to find a candidate to rally around.
    I think the newer members have, but the more long term members and activists have ended up voting for him partly because the other candidates are so rubbish. I mean look at Burnham's total - 19% and he was supposed to win this contest!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Heartiest congratulations to our friend @jeremycorbyn on his stunning election as the new Leader of the Labour Party. pic.twitter.com/rbmFqXhgZt

Gerry Adams ‏@GerryAdamsSF 13m13 minutes ago
    Well done Jeremy Corbyn.

Endorsements like this won't sway voters.
  • Options
    Oh and I have to say this confirms what so many people have said on here in the past. Whether you like or dislike Cameron no one can deny he is one of the luckiest PMs in modern political history.
  • Options

The gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited September 2015

Pauly said:

He basically ranted on about how bad some journalists and the media are. Pandering to the murdoch hating labour supporters - as far as I'm concerned if you don't like it don't read it. We don't need state intervention.
  • Options
    So the %age results are:

Burnham 19.04
    Cooper 17.02
    Corbyn 59.48
    Kendall 4.46

Based on...

http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/results-of-the-labour-leadership-and-deputy-leadership-election

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    JC has had his "we are the masters now" moment. What an execrable character he is. gg Labour.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

That has to be a jest
  • Options
    Corbyn slipped the press censorship bit in rather quickly.. bit ominous..

Corbyn hates having to defend his policies, because he's never had to.

He does now.
  • Options
    Mr. Owl, are you trying to make me regret axing Balls?
  • Options
    Marvellous.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326
    Great speech - very glad I voted for him.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Chortle .... :smile:

• Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited September 2015
    So in the end my vote mattered for sod all.
    Broke even across the two contests as I managed to miss getting on JC until it was too late.
  • Options

PlatoSays said:

I think the newer members have, but the more long term members and activists have ended up voting for him partly because the other candidates are so rubbish. I mean look at Burnham's total - 19% and he was supposed to win this contest!
    So is Kendal's 4.5%. The Blairite wing of Labour is dead.
  • Options

Do you think the kippers will be doing handsprings too, Sean? especially in the North?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

BBC's Norman Smith: if Corbyn appoints McDonnell to a position there'll be an explosion in the party.

I thought critics said that Corbyn will have trouble in finding people to fill the shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Look at the adoring masses outside! Doesn't look quite so big outside of a church hall.
  • Options

so are we
  • Options
    Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · now
    @MSmithsonPB Hi Mike - remind me how many @LibDems MPs are female or from ethnic minorities?

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Really disappointing for Labour moderates.Looks like we will be out of the 2020 race.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

Indeed, he's been keeping that under wraps this campaign in case the 'angry lefty' card put people off - after all, one thing everyone has said is how polite he has been, and that is a positive, but it's harder to sell that when you are also being very loud.

He speaks authentically I have no doubt, but he and his team have been managing his image just like any other politician
    Certainly sounded head and shoulders above any labour speaker for many many years.
  • Options

Mr. Owl, are you trying to make me regret axing Balls?

No not at all. Just reflecting all would really be likely to be different right now. There was a chance of that in May, now it's certain.
  • Options
    Now for the good bit or even better bit The Shadow Cabinet..the ones who will have to support and defend the loony demands of the Leader...who can sunbathe while this great show is on tv..
  • Options

I hope he proves all you were wishing for. What will be the first real test of his mettle do you think? We need to see if he can handle the pressure, the struggles of leadership.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ROFLMAO!
  • Options

So the %age results are:

Burnham 19.04
    Cooper 17.02
    Corbyn 59.48
    Kendall 4.46

Based on...

http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/results-of-the-labour-leadership-and-deputy-leadership-election

In the beginning Kendall was the betting favourite.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Really disappointing for Labour moderates.Looks like we will be out of the 2020 race.

Take heart - he might be up against Osborne.
  • Options

Pauly said:

the media are a bunch of nasty crap merchants, never a truer word said. Strengthen the lamposts.
  • Options
    Corbyn said that the four leadership candidates are going to form an ABBA tribute band.

He's got my vote.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    welshowl said:

AndyJS said:

Morley and Outwood looks really significant now too. A real bona fide Portillo moment.
    Balls would have been a better candidate than his wife. He must be wondering how Labour screwed up when he needed support. Then again trying to unseat Nick Clegg in Sheffield was quite a shrewd move, not.
  • Options

Oh and I have to say this confirms what so many people have said on here in the past. Whether you like or dislike Cameron no one can deny he is one of the luckiest PMs in modern political history.

I think it was NFL coach Mike Ditka who said "good teams have skill; bad teams always say they don't have luck".
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

@MSmithsonPB Hi Mike - remind me how many @LibDems MPs are female or from ethnic minorities?

:D
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    The speech contained a lot of platitudes and grand overarching ambitions. Very little on how he'd propose to achieve it though.
  • Options

So the %age results are:

Burnham 19.04
    Cooper 17.02
    Corbyn 59.48
    Kendall 4.46

Based on...

I answered your question to one decimal point earlier.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Do you think the kippers will be doing handsprings too, Sean? especially in the North?

I know the joke in Manchester is that the IRA bombed the place and caused a billion pounds of improvements, but that really doesn't mean that Mancunians support the terrorists!

Birmingham and Warrington also have long memories of Jeremy's "Friends" and what they did to their cities.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SMukesh said:

Take heart - he might be up against Osborne.
    Osborne will knock Corbyn into a cocked hat. No contest.
  • Options
    Mr. Owl, that's true. Had Balls retained this seat, the leadership election may have gone very differently.
  • Options
    Congrats are due to YouGov on this day as well. You have to admire their balls after the events of May.
  • Options
    Lucy Powell getting interviewed on Sky News now.
  • Options
    PlatoSaysPlatoSays Posts: 46
    edited September 2015
    As @JEO noted, he was incoherent with rage during bits of his speech.
    glw said:

SeanT said:

Jeremy Corbyn is, possibly, even worse than I expected.

And that is when he is happy about his victory, imagine him on a bad day when he's on the back foot and under some real scrutiny. The guy's one slip of the tongue away from full-on moonbat ranting.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, indeed, this vindicates YouGov. If they'd got this wrong, that would've been a shocker for them.
  • Options
    Some pundits saying Cameron will find Corbyn 'trickier' than other labour contenders across the dispatch box.

And people PAY these idiots....??
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Congrats are due to YouGov on this day as well. You have to admire their balls after the events of May.

That is true.
    Though we will never know what their last poll results were.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Never even heard of the nobody

That is not really the point Malcolm. The first resignation has happened within minutes of the result. It is not exactly a good omen. The interesting thing will be to see how long it is before the next resignation (if any).

How many rats will openly desert the sinking ship?
    Beverly , however the point is they need the dross to resign or be booted out. labour leadership team is pitiful and anybody from anywhere can only improve their chances. They really are talentless and only impact will be to save him time sacking him.
    Hard to believe that the nobody was shadow health and yet I have never been heard of him, that just about sums them up.
  • Options

To be fair, they don't have any safe seats to virtue signal in.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Corbyn's future depends on his poll rating and performance in elections not his mandate in this ballot even winning 60% of Tory members backing him did not save IDS due to his poor poll ratings with the Brent East by election where the Tories came third finishing him off
  • Options
    taffys said:

Some pundits saying Cameron will find Corbyn 'trickier' than other labour contenders across the dispatch box.

User Actions
    Follow

Ian KatzVerified account
    @iankatz1000
    .@jeremycorbyn may be disaster for Lab that pundits (mostly) predict but not sure Cameron will be relishing facing him across dispatch box
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Lucy Powell getting interviewed on Sky News now.

Who keeps letting her in front of a camera?!
  • Options
    Ahhhh Ed's appeared!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Liz Kendall got the second-worst result of any candidate in any Labour contest ever. Ahead of only Peter Shore, 3.1% in 1983.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Well it's the first time that the 2 opponents actually hate the guts of each other and everything they stand for.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Yep.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    NPXMP Attaboy..dumb as ever..you do realise that in Corbyns world you and your best good buddy Roger are the enemy..Shades of The French Revolution here..
  • Options
    Happy birthday TSE
    When are the other results to be announced?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Miliband "massive opportunity for the party"
  • Options
    Ed speaks.

And says...nothing much.
  • Options
    Ah, how sweet.

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 1m1 minute ago
    Ed Miliband speaks! "I'll be offering Jeremy Corbyn my support"
  • Options
    Forgot quite how terrible Ed Miliband is.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Miliband "massive opportunity for the party"

Massive opportunity to make his electoral results look good..?
  • Options
    alex. said:

The speech contained a lot of platitudes and grand overarching ambitions. Very little on how he'd propose to achieve it though.

It was a victory speech not a manifesto.
  • Options
    Incidentally, cheers to Mr. F for the Shah Muhammed reference. Just read up on that at Wikipedia. It turns out that executing messengers sent by Genghis Khan to open trade negotiations wasn't terribly clever.
  • Options

Happy birthday TSE
    When are the other results to be announced?

Not sure.
  • Options
    Ed's improved communication skills from the election campaign seem to have gone out the window.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Ed speaks.

And says...nothing much.

Same as the last five years then!
  • Options

Corbyn said that the four leadership candidates are going to form an ABBA tribute band.

He's got my vote.

Christmas No.1?