Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A new day has dawned for Labour as Corbyn wins on the first

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    BBC World News correspondent says that Britain is more interested in re-upholstery than in revolution, and says he thinks it's electoral suicide for Labour. Mentions 'Tom and Jerry'.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 16s16 seconds ago
    Miliband won't serve in Jezza's Shad Cab
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Mr. Owl, that's true. Had Balls retained this seat, the leadership election may have gone very differently.

MD if my gran had had testicles she would have been my granpa
  • Options
    Mr. G, indeed, but it's interesting to consider what might have been and the little forks in the road that lead to wildly different destinations.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Are we at that point where Wil E Coyote has gone over the canyon edge, but is still running, blissfully unaware, in thin air....
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 16s16 seconds ago
    Miliband won't serve in Jezza's Shad Cab

Ed: - I'll be offering Jeremy Corbyn my support - but refuse to serve under him? #wally
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Corbyn will be a goner once Labour are destroyed in the May elections next year.

The loss of the mayoral election, or alternatively the loss of the Tooting by-election will also be big pressure points. But as has been observed with this kind of mandate from the party, he's going to be difficult to shift.
    By the time of May I suspect those who voted for him will have come to their senses - meaning that there is less goodwill towards him, so he'll be easier to shift. They also need to find a candidate to rally around.
    Hope you're right. It will be important that the likes of Jarvis, Reeves, Creasy et al. keep a united front and put out a coherent message. The only hope is that they might yet be the future.
    No chance at all of the Blairites getting hold of it again. It'll be the soft left at best.
    Never say never ...just wait and see how bad the Corbyn train wreck becomes ; it could discredit the Left for good ...poor Corbyn is a true believer burning with the zeal of the converted , he cannot compromise , with him it's all or nothing

• Options

Corbyn said that the four leadership candidates are going to form an ABBA tribute band.

He's got my vote.

Christmas No.1?
    The Winner takes it all, I have a dream, money money money, why did it have to be me, Super trouper?
  • Options
    As predicted

Michael Fallon (THE DEFENCE SECRETARY) provides first official Tory reax - emphasising Corbyn's "security" risk

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COswvvvUsAATlGR.png
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Hopefully Betfair gets the Jeremy Corbyn party leader exit date market up before he's already gone!
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    malcolmg said:

alex. said:

The speech contained a lot of platitudes and grand overarching ambitions. Very little on how he'd propose to achieve it though.

It was a victory speech not a manifesto.
    Indeed. But it may be his last one ever. I was responding to implication that the quality or otherwise of the speech was an indicator of his potential future prospects.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    edited September 2015

Incidentally, cheers to Mr. F for the Shah Muhammed reference. Just read up on that at Wikipedia. It turns out that executing messengers sent by Genghis Khan to open trade negotiations wasn't terribly clever.

But, no worse than Labour's decision, today.

WRT Genghis Khan, it's amazing how many of his opponents were utterly stupid. Executing his envoys was quite common. Let's just say, it did not necessarily develop to their advantage.

But, the 13th century Darwin award must go the chief who kidnapped and raped his wife, Borte.
  • Options
    David Blunkett talking sense.
  • Options
    It's coming home
    It's coming home
    Labour's coming home!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2015
    Yvette Cooper auditioning for a shadow cabinet position, all about feminism, glass ceiling, suffragettes ect.
    Thank god she wasn't elected.
  • Options
    Mr. F, personally, I agree, but we'll have to wait and see how things play out.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    No chance of Labour winning the next election under him, but two things I'm looking out for. 1. Can he keep his cool. It's going to be hell for him. If he can somehow stay in control he should do a good job at holding the govt to account and inspiring grassroots campaigns. If not, he'll surely become a figure of fun. 2. He's too London. If the obsession with London's housing crisis = all the refugees will have to go to Yorkshire, his regional support will evaporate.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Sandpit said:
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Boulton to Blunkett: "when you came into politics Corbyn was the type of person you were fighting against"
    Blunkett: "I don't think Jeremy bears grudges..."
  • Options
    Spending more time with her baby.

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 19s19 seconds ago
    Rachel Reeves does not want to return to shadow cabinet after her maternity leave,
  • Options
    Well, Nick Palmer's words that there would be unity in the party lasted how long before there was the first resignation?

I'm seriously considering joining a political party. The question is: Cameron's Conservatives or Farron's Lib Dems?

(Although just to confuse matters, I might still vote Labour on Thursday ...)
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    I don't think Burnham lent any nominations in the end, the responsibility for nominating Corbyn rests with the individual MP's who will have to now justify their actions. I'm not sure Cooper's result is good enough for her to run again in 2/3 years time.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Ed's improved communication skills from the election campaign seem to have gone out the window.

He needs to stop talking with a mouthful of water.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interestingly, the only hope for labour Blairites and centrists is that Corbyn does so badly in elections that he has to resign before 2020.

What will they do? Sabotage their own campaigns?

They've already sabotaged their own Mayoral campaign by electing Sadiq Khan....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    edited September 2015
    AndyJS said:
    A tad more authentic than Ed and Tones 'performance' i would say
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Mr. Owl, that's true. Had Balls retained this seat, the leadership election may have gone very differently.

MD if my gran had had testicles she would have been my granpa
    Or maybe a same sex marriage ;)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Liz Kendall got the second-worst result of any candidate in any Labour contest ever. Ahead of only Peter Shore, 3.1% in 1983.

Peter Shore was one of my favourite speakers, mainly for the way he used his glasses as a prop.
  • Options
    PlatoSays said:

Marvellous.

Martin McGuinness @M_McGuinness_SF

Heartiest congratulations to our friend @jeremycorbyn on his stunning election as the new Leader of the Labour Party. pic.twitter.com/rbmFqXhgZt

YES , this is the way the Tories will destroy Corbyn as a ''threat to national security ''
    There's going to be some gruesome skeletons tumbling out of his cupboard ; he seems to be oblivious to the fine line he is walking ...he's entering a metaphorical minefield and is likely to be blasted to kingdom come
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    alex. said:

David Blunkett talking sense.

Indeed. Lukewarm doesn't begin to cover his words of support. But what a contrast: what a sensible dignified bloke. Might not agree with him on all things ( but certainly on some ). Poor sod is probably well unhappy.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited September 2015
    Apparently only 20 Labour MPs support Corbyn. That means 212 = 91% don't.
  • Options
    Hello im back, anything happen whilst i was gone?
  • Options

Sunil Prasannan ‏@Sunil_P2 · now
    @MSmithsonPB Hi Mike - remind me how many @LibDems MPs are female or from ethnic minorities?

Or can share a taxi.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

Speedy said:

Yvette Cooper auditioning for a shadow cabinet position, all about feminism, glass ceiling, suffragettes ect.
    Thank god she wasn't elected.

She actually said "I don't expect to be in Jeremy's Shadow Cabinet". A fairly hefty clue.
    She doesn't expect, not that she doesn't want to, after the " women should be included in the top team bla bla bla feminism bla bla bla glass ceiling bla bla bla" she still advertises herself as available, she didn't exclude herself.
  • Options
    For anyone that can bear it, the dan hodges verdict is in at the telegraph.

Not for the faint hearted
  • Options
    Lots of senior Labour MPs finding passionate causes that they want to concentrate on which would sadly get in the way of being able to serve in the Shadow Cabinet.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Yvette Cooper is saying she's now giong to concentrate on the Labour for Yes campaign on the Euroref.

Bit premature, perhaps.
  • Options
    Cooper says she's going to be focussing on the Labour in Europe campaign than the shadow cabinet
  • Options
    Mr. Slackbladder, yes.

Mr. F made an interesting historical reference about the chap linked below (Shah Muhammed) annoying Genghis Khan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_II_of_Khwarezm
  • Options
    Cooper too busy to serve in Corbyn's shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    Lol - Yvette Cooper ALMOST said Tom and Jerry ;)
  • Options
    Whose left now?

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 26s26 seconds ago
    Yvette Cooper also says she won't be in shadow cabinet. Will concentrate on European referendum.
  • Options
    Holy Heartbreak, Batman!

Rachel says she will not serve in Corbyn Shadow Cabinet!

*sobs*
  • Options
    Dan Hodges article contains the gem that Corbyn may not even impose a whipping system....

FFS.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

PlatoSays said:

Marvellous.

Heartiest congratulations to our friend @jeremycorbyn on his stunning election as the new Leader of the Labour Party. pic.twitter.com/rbmFqXhgZt

YES , this is the way the Tories will destroy Corbyn as a ''threat to national security ''
    There's going to be some gruesome skeletons tumbling out of his cupboard ; he seems to be oblivious to the fine line he is walking ...he's entering a metaphorical minefield and is likely to be blasted to kingdom come
    Corbyn needs to attack the Conservatives over defence cuts.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Thanks - I've never joined a party before, but with JC as the opposition it's clear that there's only one sensible party in the UK right now.
  • Options
    Is Jezza going to have to harvest people from the House of Lords to fill his frontbench team?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Congratulations to Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters. A stunning victory for him.

It's not the moment for snide comment but Andy Burnham's decision - from the position of favourite - to lend Corbyn MPs must go down as one of the great political errors of all time.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Whose left now?

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 26s26 seconds ago
    Yvette Cooper also says she won't be in shadow cabinet. Will concentrate on European referendum.

Well I'm eating my hat.
  • Options
    Labour's new left-wing leader faces a baptism of fire over the next few weeks.

Key dates in the diary already include:

Sunday morning: TV interview with the BBC's Andrew Marr
    Monday: House of Commons vote on government's Trade Union bill, cracking down on strike laws
    Monday: Dinner with trade union barons at the TUC conference in Brighton
    Monday evening: First private meeting of Labour MPs
    Wednesday: First Prime Minister's Questions
    Tuesday September 29: Labour party conference leadership speech
    October: Expected vote on military action against ISIS in Syria

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3230999/Tee-total-vegetarian-nicknamed-Jelly-child-voted-against-Labour-David-Cameron.html#ixzz3lWWcbTgJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Prescott said live on TV "who is Jamie Reed, is he even a member of the Labour party?"
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    The Labour MPs who nominated Corbyn despite not supporting him:

Margaret Beckett
    Dawn Butler
    Sarah Champion
    Jon Cruddas
    Frank Field
    Sadiq Khan
    David Lammy
    Chi Onwurah
    Tulip Siddiq
    Andrew Smith
    Gareth Thomas
    Emily Thornberry
    Neil Coyle
    Louise Haigh

8 of those are London MPs.
  • Options
    I joined up for the first time two years ago to make sure EdM didn't become PM.

There are times when it just needs to be done. I still have my cassette tape of branded Things Can Only Get Better from my time as a Blair voter!
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Thanks - I've never joined a party before, but with JC as the opposition it's clear that there's only one sensible party in the UK right now.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    MASSIVE SPOILER: Commenters on PB are Conservatives
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Dawn Butler: "of course I voted for him, but I voted for Andy first..."
  • Options
    Did you vote for Jeremy?

Dawn Butler - "of course i voted for him. Well i voted for Andy Burnham first..." ;)
  • Options

Great speech - very glad I voted for him.

It wasn't a bad speech if aimed at a Labour conference. What he has to offer the average voter in Nuneaton remains to be seen.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Lots of senior Labour MPs finding passionate causes that they want to concentrate on which would sadly get in the way of being able to serve in the Shadow Cabinet.

Then they're bloody idiots because they won't have added to their CVs by the time the next leadership election comes round in 2018 or so. Even Tony Blair of blessed memory made his name in Opposition, not government.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321

So in the end my vote mattered for sod all.
    Broke even across the two contests as I managed to miss getting on JC until it was too late.

We're grateful for your £3 though!

• Options
    Dear god, Butler and Thornberry praising Corbyn although not wanting him as leader
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Cromwell said:

Danny565 said:

Corbyn will be a goner once Labour are destroyed in the May elections next year.

The loss of the mayoral election, or alternatively the loss of the Tooting by-election will also be big pressure points. But as has been observed with this kind of mandate from the party, he's going to be difficult to shift.
    By the time of May I suspect those who voted for him will have come to their senses - meaning that there is less goodwill towards him, so he'll be easier to shift. They also need to find a candidate to rally around.
    Hope you're right. It will be important that the likes of Jarvis, Reeves, Creasy et al. keep a united front and put out a coherent message. The only hope is that they might yet be the future.
    No chance at all of the Blairites getting hold of it again. It'll be the soft left at best.
    Never say never ...just wait and see how bad the Corbyn train wreck becomes ; it could discredit the Left for good ...poor Corbyn is a true believer burning with the zeal of the converted , he cannot compromise , with him it's all or nothing

One good thing for the Labour Party is that the victory is overwhelming, and there is no need for lawyers.

Although the Three Quidders made his victory overwhelming, Corbyn would have won anyway under any voting system with 58 per cent of the affiliates and 49 per cent of members.

But, the disconnect between the Parliamentary Party and the rest of the Labour movement is very striking.

I just don’t see how this is sustainable. No party can thrive if its Parliamentary representatives are so unrepresentative of the membership.
  • Options
    PlatoSays said:

Monday: House of Commons vote on government's Trade Union bill, cracking down on strike laws

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3230999/Tee-total-vegetarian-nicknamed-Jelly-child-voted-against-Labour-David-Cameron.html#ixzz3lWWcbTgJ
    Hes pulled out of the Andy Marr show. Doesnt bode well.
  • Options
    As smart as ever.
    RodCrosby said:

Dawn Butler: "of course I voted for him, but I voted for Andy first..."

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    edited September 2015
    Corbyn's pulled out of tomorrow's Andrew Marr Show
  • Options
    EPG said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Even the floating voters on pb are Conservatives.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    PlatoSays said:

Aww, I'm in a meeting literally all day that day. Thank gods for iplayer I guess.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Prescott said live on TV "who is Jamie Reed, is he even a member of the Labour party?"

LOL!
  • Options

Dear god, Butler and Thornberry praising Corbyn although not wanting him as leader

Who will risk being first to stop clapping?
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

PlatoSays said:

Marvellous.

Martin McGuinness takes his pay cheque from implementing the laws of HM Government.

PB Tories remember Brighton and Saint Margaret but I bet most people nowadays don't care.
  • Options
    Has he? Golly why?

PlatoSays said:

• Options

The quality of the opposition that Corbyn had.
  • Options
    PlatoSays said:

There are times when it just needs to be done. I still have my cassette tape of branded Things Can Only Get Better from my time as a Blair voter!

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Ha ha!

Ed was misguided and out of ideas, but Corbyn is downright dangerous and needs to be stopped at all and any cost.
  • Options

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Some are LD, or voted LD anyway.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Most were coalition supporters.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I know some Labour-UKIP switchers. This will cement their move. They will loathe Corbyn.

How many will follow them? If UKIP play this right they could take over from Labour in the north and with the WWC.

Yup. The WWC in many areas will increasingly become divided between UKIP and Labour.

Meanwhile the Lib Dems are no where to be seen. And the SNP continue to be in good strength north of the border.

Labour cannot win in 2020. And by 2025 we won't have Scottish seats for them to win either...
  • Options
    Enough of this - it's time to watch something sane, main stream, and the model of political correctness and taste. I'm about to watch Trump on the Tonight Show yesterday.

The man who took the H out of huge.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Margaret Beckett
    Dawn Butler
    Sarah Champion
    Jon Cruddas
    Frank Field
    Sadiq Khan
    David Lammy
    Chi Onwurah
    Tulip Siddiq
    Andrew Smith
    Gareth Thomas
    Emily Thornberry
    Neil Coyle
    Louise Haigh

Pretty sure my MP, Rupa Huq (Ealing Central and Acton) was also one - supported Cooper, but nominated Corbyn.
  • Options
    A Lab>Kipper switcher friend texted me to say Back To 1976. He wants Blair and Ali Campbell back as at least they were electable.

He thought EdM was useless. He couldn't bear to vote Tory, but Kipper was a great sideways move.
    SeanT said:

I know some Labour-UKIP switchers. This will cement their move. They will loathe Corbyn.

How many will follow them? If UKIP play this right they could take over from Labour in the north and with the WWC.

• Options

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Since Corbyn's victory, the majority of voters in England could well be Conservative! (I await England-only polling showing 50% Con..)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Lol at him pulling out of Marr. I feel like the Westminster bubble are going to be more angry about Jez not respecting the rituals like that, than they will be about his policies.
  • Options
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Most were coalition supporters.
    True. Labour people are a bit quiet at the moment, by and large.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Ha ha!

Ed was misguided and out of ideas, but Corbyn is downright dangerous and needs to be stopped at all and any cost.
    What are you going to do? Bomb Islington?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Margaret Beckett
    Dawn Butler
    Sarah Champion
    Jon Cruddas
    Frank Field
    Sadiq Khan
    David Lammy
    Chi Onwurah
    Tulip Siddiq
    Andrew Smith
    Gareth Thomas
    Emily Thornberry
    Neil Coyle
    Louise Haigh

Idiots, the lot of them. The checks and balances were put into the election process for a very good reason, these are the MPs who created the monster that was unveiled an hour ago.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Fenster said:

Congratulations to Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters. A stunning victory for him.

It's not the moment for snide comment but Andy Burnham's decision - from the position of favourite - to lend Corbyn MPs must go down as one of the great political errors of all time.

I think all three of Corbyn’s opponents -- Kendall, Burnham and Cooper -- have had their reputations seriously damaged, probably beyond repair.

Burnham ran a dumb campaign, but Kendall’s was dumber.

Cooper didn’t seem to run a campaign until after it was almost over. I was never convinced she wanted to be leader, and always felt she had been pressed in to it.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

EPG said:

Cromwell said:

PlatoSays said:

Marvellous.

Martin McGuinness takes his pay cheque from implementing the laws of HM Government.

PB Tories remember Brighton and Saint Margaret but I bet most people nowadays don't care.
    Er, Northern Ireland has just lurched into crisis because of IRA murders.
    As I said, I bet most people nowadays don't care. They only cared when Britain was being attacked, not people in Northern Ireland, and that stopped 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Michael Foot went ahead in the polls for about a year after being elected leader.

Let's see if Corbyn can do the same.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 10m10 minutes ago
    Diane Abbott says she's happy to stay on the backbenches. Corbyn's shadow cabinet likely to be less left-leaning than many expected.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Enough of this - it's time to watch something sane, main stream, and the model of political correctness and taste. I'm about to watch Trump on the Tonight Show yesterday.

The man who took the H out of huge.

Matter and anti-matter, that is what I expect if Corbyn and Trump ever meet.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,827

PlatoSays said:

BBC are Tory puppets aren't they?
  • Options
    Is this a good time to point out that one of the characters in the Tom and Jerry cartoons was 'Dr. Malevolent'?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Artist said:

I don't think Burnham lent any nominations in the end, the responsibility for nominating Corbyn rests with the individual MP's who will have to now justify their actions. I'm not sure Cooper's result is good enough for her to run again in 2/3 years time.

It would have been unfortunate if MPs had prevented a candidate who 60% of the voters wanted from standing at all. People in the party who disagree with him need to develop an alternative, not rely on the nomination process to do the job for them.
    Danny565 said:

Ed's improved communication skills from the election campaign seem to have gone out the window.

Who did you vote for in the end?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    EPG said:

Cromwell said:

PlatoSays said:

Marvellous.

I think you'll be surprised.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Diane Abbott says she's happy to stay on the backbenches. Corbyn's shadow cabinet likely to be less left-leaning than many expected.

Given the inherent sexism within the Labour party, Jeremy Corbyn should appoint Abbott as Shadow Chancellor.

This has nothing to do with tipping Abbott at 33/1 as next Shadow Chancellor
  • Options

PlatoSays said:

BBC are Tory puppets aren't they?

Will he be confining his interviews to 'Russia Today'?
  • Options
    Pray for Southam Observer
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Boring. If Labour are going to make an attempt to be genuinely transformative, for good or ill, they should do it properly.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Is this a good time to point out that one of the characters in the Tom and Jerry cartoons was 'Dr. Malevolent'?

Mandelson is no longer around.