Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A new day has dawned for Labour as Corbyn wins on the first

Comments

• Options
    Assuming Chairman Corbyn will actually pose questions at PMQs, the only danger I think Cameron is in will be trying to give sensible person answers to a placard waver.

When you opponent isn't even trying to have a grown-up debate but talks in absurd hyperbole/bleeding heart terms, it's very difficult to get the tone right. Becoming patronising or dismissive will be hard to avoid.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    GIN1138 said:

JC is the Messiah and I am a disciple!!

Prepare for him to be crucified (metaphorically of course)
    he has to walk on water first though
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited September 2015
    we need something like cricket australia do when tweeting out pictures of the full english batting line up and greying them out when their wicket has fallen..

this time though Lab Shad cabinet members and those now heading to the backbenches rather than serve JC
  • Options
    Politics breeds some strange allies these days.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COs9X27XAAAOAas.jpg
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Paul Kenny (GMB) "a very divisive, er... decisive result for the Labour party..."
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,006
    saddened said:

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Thanks - I've never joined a party before, but with JC as the opposition it's clear that there's only one sensible party in the UK right now.
    MASSIVE SPOILER: Commenters on PB are Conservatives
    Surbiton, Southam, and many others, will find that surprising.
    SPOILER: General rules have exceptions and you don't win money in betting by only betting on 100 per cent certainties
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,737
    PlatoSays said:

Assuming Chairman Corbyn will actually pose questions at PMQs, the only danger I think Cameron is in will be trying to give sensible person answers to a placard waver.

When you opponent isn't even trying to have a grown-up debate but talks in absurd hyperbole/bleeding heart terms, it's very difficult to get the tone right..

People have grown up debate at PMQs?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Well Corbyn is leader and the Tory first reaction is as I predicted blowing their fuse and screaming that a 66 year old vegetarian from north Islington is the biggest threat to national security since Joan of Arc.

I'm a 39 year old vegetarian from north Ilford!

#Veggies4Corbyn !
    I used to have a bike #excyclists4Jezza
  • Options
    He's normally quite a sensible chap IIRC. He looks a bit shell-shocked on Sky.
    RodCrosby said:

Paul Kenny (GMB) "a very divisive, er... decisive result for the Labour party..."

• Options
    Danny565 said:

Because Labour has just engaged in a voodoo poll, measuring simply those who care enough to get involved.

But that's the point. If the Blairite message couldn't GET normal people to care enough to sign up (even at bargain price), why would they get normal people to care about that message in a GE?
    Because normal people will vote in an election anyway but care more about competence than ideology.
  • Options
    PlatoSays said:

When you opponent isn't even trying to have a grown-up debate but talks in absurd hyperbole/bleeding heart terms, it's very difficult to get the tone right. Becoming patronising or dismissive will be hard to avoid.

It's very unfair.

Corbyn should ask PMQs in a way that makes it easier for Cameron to get his tone right.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    welshowl said:

malcolmg said:

welshowl said:

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Thanks - I've never joined a party before, but with JC as the opposition it's clear that there's only one sensible party in the UK right now.
    Even the floating voters on pb are Conservatives.
    I've voted in various elections Tory, Lib Dem, Plaid ( long long time ago), and yes Labour depending on the election, the candidate, the voting system, and the circumstance. True my world view is not exactly John Prescott shall we say a rule, but I'm also on record that I don't think Carwyn Jones does a bad job here in Wales ( should spend more on the NHS and less elsewhere mind) and he is exactly the sort of pragmatic safe left of centre competent person Labour used to have lots of whose motives you could not reasonably question, and whom I never saw as an active danger.

However, the bottom line about today is that LOTO is an absolute menace to this country, its security, and the real welfare of the vast majority of people living in it. The Labour Party truly entered Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter is running the show. The sight of two London MPs ( Thornberry plus one) wrestling with the tautology of "I wanted him to win of course but I voted for Andy/Yvette" shows the plot is utterly and totally lost.

The man is a real danger and he needs calling out as such.
    Ha Ha Ha, back behind the sofa jelly boy
    Fuck off
    Is Malcolm still drunk?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    Speedy said:

Well Corbyn is leader and the Tory first reaction is as I predicted blowing their fuse and screaming that a 66 year old vegetarian from north Islington is the biggest threat to national security since Joan of Arc.

Well Corbyn is a complete and utter mad man and of course the Tories are going to hammer that home day in and day out between now and 2020...

If you thought the Labour/SNP Tory strategy ripped Ed Miliband to pieces you've seen nothing yet - There may not be a Labour Party left by the time an ABC Election has done it's worst.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    john_zims said:

@alex.

'Yvette Cooper ALMOST said Tom and Jerry'

Has there ever been a duo elected that's more voter repellent ?

Nick Griffin and Andrew Brons?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

Because Labour has just engaged in a voodoo poll, measuring simply those who care enough to get involved.

But that's the point. If the Blairite message couldn't GET normal people to care enough to sign up (even at bargain price), why would they get normal people to care about that message in a GE?
    Because normal people will vote in an election anyway but care more about competence than ideology.
    Sure competence is an essential pre-requisite for a party to win, but even then you still need to generate atleast SOME enthusiasm. I stand by that if it was an election-winning message, then it would've got atleast some normal people to care when the price was so cheap.
  • Options
    Been out.. how many resignations from the Shadow Cabinet and who has been appointed
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    EPG said:

HYUFD said:

EPG said:

AndyJS said:

Michael Foot went ahead in the polls for about a year after being elected leader.

Let's see if Corbyn can do the same.

I think it's very likely.

Like Miliband, removing him will not even be on the agenda because he will get good polls.

Then there will be a real election and nobody will care about the answers they told the pollsters any more and they will vote Conservative instead.
    He will not get good polls Ed Miliband trailed Cameron badly as preferred PM and more final polls had the Tories ahead than Labour in 1983 Labour polled even worse in the final polls than the score they got. The Tories first polls under IDS had them on about 28/29% and I expect Labour to get about the same now
    Final polls didn't matter in 2013. What mattered was polls with 10-point Labour leads over Conservatives. If anybody thinks that is impossible this parliament, more power to them but I disagree.
    That was when the economy was in recession and Osborne had introduced a pasty tax and cut the top rate. The economy is now growing and Osborne has introduced a living wage and cut inheritance tax
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Sure competence is an essential pre-requisite for a party to win, but even then you still need to generate atleast SOME enthusiasm. I stand by that if it was an election-winning message, then it would've got atleast some normal people to care when the price was so cheap.
    I think there was pretty much zero enthusiasm for Cameron from normal people, but they thought he was better than the alternative, which was enough.
  • Options
    calum said:

The left wing MSM are as expected starting to fall into line behind Corbyn.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-taken-massive-leap-unknown-6429013

I think Kevin's piece is pretty fair and would agree with his conclusion:

"I, like everybody else including the new leader himself, didn't see it coming a few months ago. It's exciting. It's terrifying. It'll be a roller-coaster ride. So ignore those arrogantly insisting they know this journey will end in Hell or Heaven. Because Labour's taken a giant leap into the unknown."

If you take a giant leap off a cliff edge you may well be going into the unknown. Doesn't mean that you don't have a good idea of roughly how it will end.
  • Options

Been out.. how many resignations from the Shadow Cabinet and who has been appointed

So far 4, only Liz Kendall is at least somewhat known of them.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    saddened said:

welshowl said:

malcolmg said:

welshowl said:

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

PlatoSays said:

Welcome aboard!

Sandpit said:
    Even the floating voters on pb are Conservatives.
    I've voted in various elections Tory, Lib Dem, Plaid ( long long time ago), and yes Labour depending on the election, the candidate, the voting system, and the circumstance. True my world view is not exactly John Prescott shall we say a rule, but I'm also on record that I don't think Carwyn Jones does a bad job here in Wales ( should spend more on the NHS and less elsewhere mind) and he is exactly the sort of pragmatic safe left of centre competent person Labour used to have lots of whose motives you could not reasonably question, and whom I never saw as an active danger.

However, the bottom line about today is that LOTO is an absolute menace to this country, its security, and the real welfare of the vast majority of people living in it. The Labour Party truly entered Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter is running the show. The sight of two London MPs ( Thornberry plus one) wrestling with the tautology of "I wanted him to win of course but I voted for Andy/Yvette" shows the plot is utterly and totally lost.

The man is a real danger and he needs calling out as such.
    Ha Ha Ha, back behind the sofa jelly boy
    Fuck off
    Is Malcolm still drunk?
    This time last year, silly Malc kept telling us how Scotland was going to finally shut up whinging a b*gger off - I've still not got over how utterly wrong his procrastination's were. Had the champagne on ice and everything...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,077
    edited September 2015

Politics breeds some strange allies these days.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COs9X27XAAAOAas.jpg

I'm not sure what chameleon shade they're adopting at the moment (who cares?), but 4 or 5 years ago the BNP had decided Israel was a staunch bulwark against Islamism. A few Star of Davids flying alongside Red Hand of Ulsters nowadays in NI also.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Well that was a nice little earner! Glad I sold LK when she went to near favourite.

Labour now have a triple catastrophe on their hands and I do not think that Jezza will be open to sartorial advice (!!@!) From TSE.

https://twitter.com/frozenwarning/status/642310681975521280
  • Options

alex. said:

Lots of senior Labour MPs finding passionate causes that they want to concentrate on which would sadly get in the way of being able to serve in the Shadow Cabinet.

Then they're bloody idiots because they won't have added to their CVs by the time the next leadership election comes round in 2018 or so. Even Tony Blair of blessed memory made his name in Opposition, not government.
    Not sure your logic holds there, old chap. Haven't Labour just elected a leader who has never held a shadow or government post?
    Future contenders need to do something in the Shadow Cabinet, not just keep the seats warm: that's the point.
  • Options
    PlatoSays said:

I'd agree with that. Cameron will have to amend his style. He does however have two trump cards to play, mostly at will. Firstly, chances are the government is doing something related to what Corbyn's talking about which the PM can trumpet; secondly, Corbyn's has so much baggage that it'll be easy to turn the question to some embarrassing moment of his past, which Corbyn will then double down on by justifying.
  • Options

Jamie Reed
    Rachel Reeves (*sobs*)
    Tristram
    Liz
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Looks like Sturgeon wants a by-election in Barrow:

https://www.twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/642657581077516288

AndyJS said:

Looks like Sturgeon wants a by-election in Barrow:

https://www.twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/642657581077516288

She knows how to play her politics, doesn't she?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    The people's flag is deepest red:
    It blushed with shame where Corbyn led.
    And ere our movement up did fold
    It showed how we were dumb and cold.

So raise the scarlet standard high;
    Within its shade we'll surely die.
    Though voters flinch and Tories cheer
    We'll keep that red flag flying here!

I admire the optimism of the likes of @bigjohnowls and @NickP. But the fact is you have elected a man as leader who is associated with all of the following: (1) the IRA (2) radical Islamism (3) Holocaust deniers (4) the Islington paedophile scandal (5) Haringey Borough Council.

Any one of those would be potentially disastrous for a serious political figure. Taken together with the fact that he's old, not very intelligent, extremely belligerent, a man who speaks solely in pseudo-Marxist cliché and only talks to people who agree with him, you have potentially consigned yourself to the level of political relevance of the Canadian Progressive Conservative Party in 1993.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@alex.

Nicola Sturgeon and Alex Salmond, according to some on here.
  • Options
    Fallon "Labour are now a serious risk to our national security, economic security and the security of your family" Sky.
  • Options
    roadto326 ‏@roadto326 3m3 minutes ago
    roadto326 retweeted Liz Kendall
    Well done Liz. Shameful how she was treated over the campaign by so-called 'progressives'.

LOL Even progressives can spot a BWP when they see one.

95.5% of voters seem to think she was the wrong way to go
  • Options
    How long now until the effective Conservative majority is larger than the Wastemonster votes from the party 'Oop-Norf' (aka. SNP - Jockanese-troupe-of-clowns)...?

:money-to-be-made:
  • Options

alex. said:

Lots of senior Labour MPs finding passionate causes that they want to concentrate on which would sadly get in the way of being able to serve in the Shadow Cabinet.

Then they're bloody idiots because they won't have added to their CVs by the time the next leadership election comes round in 2018 or so. Even Tony Blair of blessed memory made his name in Opposition, not government.
    Not sure your logic holds there, old chap. Haven't Labour just elected a leader who has never held a shadow or government post?
    Future contenders need to do something in the Shadow Cabinet, not just keep the seats warm: that's the point.
    That's not necessarily true. Future contenders can burnish their credential by establishing a leadership-in-exile on the backbenches. As long as they look and sound like leadership material, and outshine the front bench, they should be ok. It would have been the Heseltine route to the Tory leadership had he been able to wait until Thatcher lost the 1991/2 general election.

That said, the front bench still offers the better opportunities as long as the contenders don't become too tainted by looniness.
  • Options
    What are the scores on the doors?
    Speedy said:

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    And the titles of luckiest politician and luckiest political party go to Fallon and the LDs.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Maybe they'd just given up on the Labour party as a mechanism for delivering Blairite policies then?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

PlatoSays said:

I'd agree with that. Cameron will have to amend his style. He does however have two trump cards to play, mostly at will. Firstly, chances are the government is doing something related to what Corbyn's talking about which the PM can trumpet; secondly, Corbyn's has so much baggage that it'll be easy to turn the question to some embarrassing moment of his past, which Corbyn will then double down on by justifying.
    I'm not so sure. Bercow has a pretty strong line on 'It's questions to the PM not to the LoTO' so I suspect that Corbyn will be able to maintain an attack without needing to defend if he wants to. Of course, he might not be able to help himself on Trident, NI, etc but the option will be there for him.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    PlatoSays said:

Fallon "Labour are now a serious risk to our national security, economic security and the security of your family" Sky.

"Jeremy Corbyn is a part of the axis of evil"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHFs1XW8ZCo
  • Options

Well done Liz. Shameful how she was treated over the campaign by so-called 'progressives'.

Why does Labour (the so called progressive party) seem to hate women? I don't get it
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Its like something out of the twilight zone! If you had told me six months ago that the Labour party would choose the 'safe' machine politician option for London Mayor while the Labour Leader would become a consistently disloyal 'maverick' or usual suspect from the far left, I wouldn't have believed it. On top of that, we now have Tom Watson stepping into the role of Deputy Labour Lead as the unifying 'oor Willie' for Jeremy Corbyn as a result. On top of all that, the sheer scale of the Corbyn/Watson wins is going to make it far harder for members of the PLP to justify the need to remove either of them too. It really could make defections or a split within the Labour movement more likely as a result?

This might be great news for the Conservatives.... But with Corbyn as Leader of the Opposition and Angus Robertson as Leader of the SNP and 3rd party having his strings pulled from Holyrood, this most certainly is not good news for the country as a whole.

Its been forty years since the Conservatives first elected a female Leader, and twenty two years since the Labour's party introduced all-women short lists at its 1993 annual conference. And yet the Labour party still remain unwilling to elect an woman Leader or select a woman candidate for London Mayor!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    As the only party leader in England who seems to take the refugee crisis seriously I think we should welcome his victory. There is no other political leader speaking up for them so whatever happens in 2020 he will have at least served the purpose of showing some in Britain still have humanitarian instincts and thus slightly alleviating our current position as the pariahs of Europe
  • Options
    You just have to laugh at the mind-boggling stupidity of the Labour party. What other reaction can there be? They voted to entrench the Tories in power for the next decade and cheered themselves hoarse for doing so.
  • Options
    PlatoSays said:

Speedy said:

Just checked your avatar - 'Cats for Corbyn' salutes you!
  • Options
    Ref Corbyn's age. Next month, he'll become Britain's oldest leader of one of the three main parties since Michael Foot, overtaking Ming Campbell. If he makes it through to an election in 2020, he'd be the oldest of any of the three parties since Clement Attlee.

The question of his physical stamina hasn't really been addressed but it's a demanding job leading a political party; one he's had no preparation or training for. We've seen he has a temper and it's common that tiredness brings that out more. Something to watch for?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Well I am really quite pleased with the leadership vote. I turned to Jeremy last night.

And you all should be here- and not for the obvious political reasons. Corbyn is the antithesis of the career spad politician. He has a refreshing simplicity. Just think no more stunts. No more hugging hoodies, or trips to Greenland. No EdStones or trips to Russell Brand. No more opportunistic political cross dressing. No more Osborne or Brownlike scheming. I'm sure that most of you here hate all that spin bullshit as much as I do.

Hopefully Jeremy with his honesty and his authenticity will change politics in the UK for the better and that can only be a very good thing.
  • Options
    Ken Livingstone about shadow cabinet resignations: "no one knows who those people are".
  • Options
    YES at Ken dismissing the resignations of Rachel Reeves and Tristram Hunt. "You say they're big figures - the public doesn't have a clue who they are."
  • Options

Jamie Reed
    Rachel Reeves (*sobs*)
    Tristram
    Liz
    Also Cooper, Leslie, Reynolds
  • Options
    Roger.. how many have you taken in..or are you still waiting for someone else to do it for you..lots of em down your way..
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,077
    edited September 2015
    deleted
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Ref Corbyn's age. Next month, he'll become Britain's oldest leader of one of the three main parties since Michael Foot, overtaking Ming Campbell. If he makes it through to an election in 2020, he'd be the oldest of any of the three parties since Clement Attlee.

The question of his physical stamina hasn't really been addressed but it's a demanding job leading a political party; one he's had no preparation or training for. We've seen he has a temper and it's common that tiredness brings that out more. Something to watch for?

He was doing 2-3 rallies a day for 2-3 months now, he's vegetarian and rides a bicycle.
    He looks ok, Ron Paul who fit's a similar active profile ran a marathon at the age of 77.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    ydoethur said:

john_zims said:

@alex.

Nick Griffin and Andrew Brons?
    Ha ha ha!
  • Options
    tyson said:

Well I am really quite pleased with the leadership vote. I turned to Jeremy last night.

And you all should be here- and not for the obvious political reasons. Corbyn is the antithesis of the career spad politician. He has a refreshing simplicity. Just think no more stunts. No more hugging hoodies, or trips to Greenland. No EdStones or trips to Russell Brand. No more opportunistic political cross dressing. No more Osborne or Brownlike scheming. I'm sure that most of you here hate all that spin bullshit as much as I do.

Hopefully Jeremy with his honesty and his authenticity will change politics in the UK for the better and that can only be a very good thing.

No more Labour governments.

• Options
    All Cameron has to have is a friendly question from a back bencher and in his answer he can slam everything Corbyn has said.. he need not even be addressing Corbyn..way it goes
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Jamie Reed
    Rachel Reeves (*sobs*)
    Tristram
    Liz
    Also Cooper, Leslie, Reynolds
    Umunna too...
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    I don't get what makes Rachel Reeves a big fish. What's the biggest job she's had and for how long?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    PlatoSays said:

He's normally quite a sensible chap IIRC. He looks a bit shell-shocked on Sky.

RodCrosby said:

I think both adjectives were correct. Good reporting :)
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

I Liked Jezzas line about the ethnic cleansing of London because of Tory housing policies.

He clearly doesn't move much beyond the very affluent areas of North London.

• Options

deleted

Portmanteau Politicians:

Michael Farron - LibDem Defence Sec,

Tim Fallon - Tory leader and Westmoreland MP.
  • Options
    Corbyn is not honest. Just see how he twists and lies about his Islamist connections: "I have no recollection of donating money", "He was never anti-Semitic to me", "Friends is just a diplomatic term", "I barely knew him".
  • Options

Great speech - very glad I voted for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE
  • Options
    Twitter
    Mark Thompson ‏@MarkReckons 6m6 minutes ago
    Someone just made a very salient point to me. Everyone who will vote for Corbyn already has. Slight exaggeration but not far off the truth.
  • Options
    I do hope that the future Shadow Team realise they are committed to defending.. at all costs..Corbyns declarations on policy..Do they really want the job so much that they would take that humiliation..
  • Options
    I thought it was time to change my Ally Akbar! one :smiley:
    TudorRose said:

PlatoSays said:

Speedy said:

Just checked your avatar - 'Cats for Corbyn' salutes you!
  • Options

All Cameron has to have is a friendly question from a back bencher and in his answer he can slam everything Corbyn has said.. he need not even be addressing Corbyn..way it goes

Bercow's sufficiently anti-Cam to put an end to that pretty quickly I think.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Why does Labour (the so called progressive party) seem to hate women? I don't get it
    What is a BWP?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

And the titles of luckiest politician and luckiest political party go to Fallon and the LDs.

What's the Secretary of State for Defence done to earn that accolade?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Well, I never really believed they'd do it, even in the face of mounting evidence. They lose a general and react by electing a thick version of Michael Foot, with added pro-terrorist sympathies for good measure.
  • Options
    JEO said:

I don't get what makes Rachel Reeves a big fish. What's the biggest job she's had and for how long?

She's the worst combination of recent Labour politicians: unprincipled and not standing for anything, AND utter rubbish at the presentation/communication side too. No loss at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Southam

You have to remind yourself that Corbyn won because people are fed up with the careerist, scheming, plotting, spun crowd. This election was a rejection of that culture. And good.

And during his victory speech Corbyn spoke simply and clearly from the heart- there wasn't even a hint of contrivance. Compare and contrast to Osborne and Cameron.

As I said before, Corbyn may well change the tone and nature of our politics. If not, do you really, really think Andy or Yvette were credible leaders for 2020.

You just have to laugh at the mind-boggling stupidity of the Labour party. What other reaction can there be? They voted to entrench the Tories in power for the next decade and cheered themselves hoarse for doing so.

• Options
    Tudor Rose .. He cant Cameron..an answer any question from his own team If Bercow attempted to stop him then that nice apartment might just become vacant..and he knows it..
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    tyson said:

I hope you are right & it does turn out that way.

I hope I am wrong but I am afraid that the Labour party is about to become an object lesson of what injudicious hospitality leads to.
  • Options
    Breaking News.
    Someone called Emma Reynolds has resigned from something.
  • Options

I do hope that the future Shadow Team realise they are committed to defending.. at all costs..Corbyns declarations on policy..Do they really want the job so much that they would take that humiliation..

Before they take a portfolio presumably they'll be asking quite specific questions about what policies they'll be asked to defend. I'd want to know exactly what I was signing up for before putting my career on the line.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    alex. said:

Labour keep repeating the line that they have "turned around public opinion on migrants". Is there actually any evidence whatsoever of that being the case?

I thought it was Tim Farron who took a stand on this - He went to Calais and actually spoke to some of the would-be migrants.

All the Labour leadership candidates, if I remember correctly - were silent on the issue.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Well, I never really believed they'd do it, even in the face of mounting evidence. They lose a general and react by electing a thick version of Michael Foot, with added pro-terrorist sympathies for good measure.

Although the Tories elected IDS after losing the 2001 General election
  • Options
    Liz speaks:

The leadership contest has ended and Jeremy Corbyn has been elected leader of the Labour Party. I want to congratulate him for the campaign that he has run. He has inspired many people to become involved in the Labour Party, and it's now the responsibility of all of us to engage with them.

There are obviously issues on which I disagree with Jeremy. In the months and years ahead I will continue to fight hard for our party and for what I believe in, but I will always be constructive in doing so.

I'm proud of the campaign we've run. Unless any of you ever stand to be Labour leader yourselves, you will never truly know how grateful I am for the support of each and every one of you. We did not win this election, but we made strong arguments and engaged in a debate that the Labour Party needed to have - and needs to continue having.

Some may feel that at times I've been too blunt in delivering those arguments - especially at the beginning when so many party members were still reeling from our terrible defeat. But I hope that over this campaign, you'll have come to know me as someone who cares too much about our Party and the people we represent to see us lose, and who has always worked on the basis that our problems are to be confronted, rather than avoided.

As I said earlier this week, there are real challenges ahead for Labour Party moderates. We have to rise to the challenge of convincing both the party and the country that we have the answers they seek.

I'm going to play a constructive role in that process - I hope that you'll all be part of that process too.

Best wishes, and thank you for all of your support,

Liz
  • Options
    Roger said:

As the only party leader in England who seems to take the refugee crisis seriously I think we should welcome his victory. There is no other political leader speaking up for them so whatever happens in 2020 he will have at least served the purpose of showing some in Britain still have humanitarian instincts and thus slightly alleviating our current position as the pariahs of Europe

FWIW Tim Farron is at the #refugeeswelcome rally today.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    https://twitter.com/elenacresci/status/642682398115762176

For a secret meeting with Farage probably, the conspiracy against national security is widening, call the drones (jokingly).
  • Options
    JEO said:

GIN1138 said:

What is a BWP?
    BigJohnOwls' curious "Blair Witch Project" reference

Note: not all Corbynistas share BJO's sexism!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Breaking News.

Well I guess that's one way of being famous for 15 tweets!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Breaking News.

LOL. Shirley Williams and David Owen are going to have great reason to be offended when these minnows are compared to them in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    JEO said:

GIN1138 said:

What is a BWP?
    Blair Witch Project

It is BJO's misogynistic term for female centrists in the Labour party.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    TudorRose said:

Before they take a portfolio presumably they'll be asking quite specific questions about what policies they'll be asked to defend. I'd want to know exactly what I was signing up for before putting my career on the line.
    While that's the problem isn't it? Corbyn claims that he is going to pass decisions on policy making to the Party (conference). So he can't even make any commitments now.

The issue with resignations isn't whether the wider public have heard of these people. It's that its tough enough finding enough people to put together a plausible team in Opposition and with a pretty small Parliamentary grouping. Even tougher if large numbers are ruling themselves out, and worse if it includes many of the parties supposed "stars" (even if they're future stars)

• Options
    Twitter
    Ben Rogers
    @ben_rog
    If we ever get Corbyn's women only train carriages it will be safe from Labour leaders.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Southam

You have to remind yourself that Corbyn won because people are fed up with the careerist, scheming, plotting, spun crowd. This election was a rejection of that culture. And good.

And during his victory speech Corbyn spoke simply and clearly from the heart- there wasn't even a hint of contrivance. Compare and contrast to Osborne and Cameron.

As I said before, Corbyn may well change the tone and nature of our politics. If not, do you really, really think Andy or Yvette were credible leaders for 2020.

He made a poor speech that when transcribed will be shown not to have made any sense.

Labour's best chance in 2020 was always going to be the Tories messing up. I think any of the other three would have been electable in such circumstances. Corbyn's track record means that he is not.

• Options

deleted

Portmanteau Politicians:

Michael Farron - LibDem Defence Sec,

Tim Fallon - Tory leader and Westmoreland MP.
    Yeah, I realised I was overdoing the pedantry. I see others have not been so fastidious.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    MTimT said:

Farron is Corbyn lite UKIP may well now become the unofficial opposition as the LDs did from 2001 to 2003 especially with EU ref looming
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    PClipp said:

alex. said:

Labour keep repeating the line that they have "turned around public opinion on migrants". Is there actually any evidence whatsoever of that being the case?

I thought it was Tim Farron who took a stand on this - He went to Calais and actually spoke to some of the would-be migrants.

All the Labour leadership candidates, if I remember correctly - were silent on the issue.
    All the evidence suggests that Cameron (and Farage) have their finger on the pulse of public opinion over immigration.
  • Options
    Twitter
    NumbrCrunchrPolitics ‏@NCPoliticsUK now3 seconds ago
    Reminder: Reweighted YouGov #labourleadership had Corbyn 57%, within 2.5pts, a month out. Great work @jantalipinski!
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    PClipp said:

alex. said:

I meant whether public opinion had turned around, not where presumed credit should be claimed.
  • Options

JEO said:

GIN1138 said:

What is a BWP?
    Blair Witch Project

It is BJO's misogynistic term for female centrists in the Labour party.
    You're right. I knew there was a lot of sexism on Twitter but I expected better from a PB regular.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    When does JC get his first lot of appts to the Lords?

Is there anyone we should be looking out for?
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    Apologies if I've missed this, but has Kinnock (senior) said anything about Corbyn yet?

Also, how will Labour supporter Stephen Fry react to Tom and Jerry? Fry's been very critical of Hamas in the past plus he's criticised the paedo hunt (his friend Paul Gambaccini was caught up in it before being cleared).
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

Although the Tories elected IDS after losing the 2001 General election
    You cannot compare IDS with Corbyn. There's a reason why IDS has been a SoS since 2010 - he may not be a great party leader (in the present day), but he's a sound party grandee and minor statesman (which in the past may have been enough to be Tory leader).
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    PlatoSays said:

The potency of the Tory's genie lamp must have required the selling of souls.

There's no other explanation. I'd love to know what their grid looks like now.

Sandpit said:

So, Jeremy's first Commons vote is the Unions bill next week
    Trident renewal bill after that, or a vote on military action against ISIL...?

In all seriousness, all that has happened since GE2015 is starting to frighten me a bit. It seems like the first fall of rubble before a cliff falls in, or the first shift of snow before an avalanche.
  • Options
    MattW said:

When does JC get his first lot of appts to the Lords?

Is there anyone we should be looking out for?

Prescott?
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    NumbrCrunchrPolitics ‏@NCPoliticsUK now3 seconds ago
    Reminder: Reweighted YouGov #labourleadership had Corbyn 57%, within 2.5pts, a month out. Great work @jantalipinski!

Alternatively, they were due a fluke. I still don't know how they were able to sample the affiliates.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Take away your prejudice SO and you see will someone who speaks simply and authentically. My wife was particularly impressed, and she's still not got over Tony leaving.

When Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband spoke it was toe curlingly cringeworthy. At the very least, politics aside, Labour has a leader who seems quite normal and speaks like a normal person. And that has got to count for something.

tyson said:

Southam

He made a poor speech that when transcribed will be shown not to have made any sense.

Labour's best chance in 2020 was always going to be the Tories messing up. I think any of the other three would have been electable in such circumstances. Corbyn's track record means that he is not.