Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A new day has dawned for Labour as Corbyn wins on the first

Comments

• That's a great analogy. It does seem like that. I honestly wonder what's possessed Labour.
    AnneJGP said:

PlatoSays said:

The potency of the Tory's genie lamp must have required the selling of souls.

There's no other explanation. I'd love to know what their grid looks like now.

Sandpit said:

So, Jeremy's first Commons vote is the Unions bill next week
    Trident renewal bill after that, or a vote on military action against ISIL...?

In all seriousness, all that has happened since GE2015 is starting to frighten me a bit. It seems like the first fall of rubble before a cliff falls in, or the first shift of snow before an avalanche.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Corbyn supporters don't seem to realise they might have created an opening for UKIP to challenge them as the second party in the UK. Because they live in a bubble there's no way they would ever consider such a scenario.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    How many of the shadow cabinet have resigned now?

And so it begins.......
  • AnneJGP said:

PlatoSays said:

The potency of the Tory's genie lamp must have required the selling of souls.

There's no other explanation. I'd love to know what their grid looks like now.

Sandpit said:

So, Jeremy's first Commons vote is the Unions bill next week
    Trident renewal bill after that, or a vote on military action against ISIL...?

In all seriousness, all that has happened since GE2015 is starting to frighten me a bit. It seems like the first fall of rubble before a cliff falls in, or the first shift of snow before an avalanche.
    Yes, IDS was the Tories' Ed Miliband. They would have had to have elected Bill Cash as their leader for us to justifiably talk about an equivalent to Corbyn.
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Roger said:

As the only party leader in England who seems to take the refugee crisis seriously I think we should welcome his victory. There is no other political leader speaking up for them so whatever happens in 2020 he will have at least served the purpose of showing some in Britain still have humanitarian instincts and thus slightly alleviating our current position as the pariahs of Europe

Exactly how much should we spend, and how many should we take, before we are deemed to be taking it seriously.

Round millions for the cash and hundreds of thousands will be close enough for the people.
  • PlatoSays said:

Fallon "Labour are now a serious risk to our national security, economic security and the security of your family" Sky.

Oh dear - Fallon becoming a caricature.
  • tyson said:

Take away your prejudice SO and you see will someone who speaks simply and authentically. My wife was particularly impressed, and she's still not got over Tony leaving.

When Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband spoke it was toe curlingly cringeworthy. At the very least, politics aside, Labour has a leader who seems quite normal and speaks like a normal person. And that has got to count for something.

tyson said:

Southam

You have to remind yourself that Corbyn won because people are fed up with the careerist, scheming, plotting, spun crowd. This election was a rejection of that culture. And good.

And during his victory speech Corbyn spoke simply and clearly from the heart- there wasn't even a hint of contrivance. Compare and contrast to Osborne and Cameron.

As I said before, Corbyn may well change the tone and nature of our politics. If not, do you really, really think Andy or Yvette were credible leaders for 2020.

You just have to laugh at the mind-boggling stupidity of the Labour party. What other reaction can there be? They voted to entrench the Tories in power for the next decade and cheered themselves hoarse for doing so.

He made a poor speech that when transcribed will be shown not to have made any sense.

Labour's best chance in 2020 was always going to be the Tories messing up. I think any of the other three would have been electable in such circumstances. Corbyn's track record means that he is not.

To be fair, there is something in what you say. The problem, however, is his history.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Having your finger on the public pulse isn't necessarily a good thing. Sometimes you have to show leadership and bring the public with you- something I think Cameron is singularly incapable of doing.
    Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

alex. said:

Labour keep repeating the line that they have "turned around public opinion on migrants". Is there actually any evidence whatsoever of that being the case?

I thought it was Tim Farron who took a stand on this - He went to Calais and actually spoke to some of the would-be migrants.

All the Labour leadership candidates, if I remember correctly - were silent on the issue.
    All the evidence suggests that Cameron (and Farage) have their finger on the pulse of public opinion over immigration.
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    tyson said:

Take away your prejudice SO and you see will someone who speaks simply and authentically. My wife was particularly impressed, and she's still not got over Tony leaving.

When Gordon Brown or Ed Miliband spoke it was toe curlingly cringeworthy. At the very least, politics aside, Labour has a leader who seems quite normal and speaks like a normal person. And that has got to count for something.

tyson said:

Southam

You have to remind yourself that Corbyn won because people are fed up with the careerist, scheming, plotting, spun crowd. This election was a rejection of that culture. And good.

And during his victory speech Corbyn spoke simply and clearly from the heart- there wasn't even a hint of contrivance. Compare and contrast to Osborne and Cameron.

As I said before, Corbyn may well change the tone and nature of our politics. If not, do you really, really think Andy or Yvette were credible leaders for 2020.

You just have to laugh at the mind-boggling stupidity of the Labour party. What other reaction can there be? They voted to entrench the Tories in power for the next decade and cheered themselves hoarse for doing so.

He made a poor speech that when transcribed will be shown not to have made any sense.

Labour's best chance in 2020 was always going to be the Tories messing up. I think any of the other three would have been electable in such circumstances. Corbyn's track record means that he is not.

Can't keep up with all this flip-flopping. Can't you just come to a verdict and stick with it for more than a week? ;)
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Fox

"FWIW Tim Farron is at the #refugeeswelcome rally today."

Thanks for that. I didn't consider the Lib Dems because as Jonathan noted earlier they still show no signs of having a pulse so are presumed dead.

(But you're the doc so will be advised)
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

PlatoSays said:

Fallon "Labour are now a serious risk to our national security, economic security and the security of your family" Sky.

With him drawing the straw to make the personal attack on Ed M during the GE, and now first out on Corbyn after his election, I get the impression it's his role in the party to make the potentially over the top comparisons, then for Cameron and others more moderate to seem more measured in their criticism.
  • Jamie Reed, Rachel Reeves, Tristram Hunt, Liz Kendall and Emma Reynolds all resign from the opposition front bench, but its OK cos no one has heard of them before.

You really couldn’t make it up. :lol:
  • Roger said:

Fox

Thanks for that. I didn't consider the Lib Dems because as Jonathan noted earlier they still show no signs of having a pulse so are presumed dead.

Genuine LOL. Thanks, I needed it!

Jamie Reed, Rachel Reeves, Tristram Hunt, Liz Kendall and Emma Reynolds all resign from the opposition front bench, but its OK cos no one has heard of them before.

Cooper has effectively ruled herself out as well.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    Will there be deselections of "right wing" labour MPs?
    edited September 2015
    How does the appointment of the Shadow team work btw? Is it assumed that nobody is in post (and therefore doesn't need to resign/be sacked) or does Corbyn have to ring around to let people know they're out?

Maybe, worried about finding enough people to fill the posts, he'll emulate what they've done in Scotland and cause mass confusion by creating new posts shadowing different elements of different departments?
  • EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    Great day for Labour, great day for democracy, great day for discourse. I'm over the moon.
  • JC is the Messiah and I am a disciple!!

Hmm,

That is not what you posted in Tunisia when Corbyn's Jihadists turned-up. Maybe you are just a joke, hey...?
  • tyson said:

tyson said:

Southam

Labour has as its leader someone who has spent 40 years sharing platforms with a selection of people who hold a range of abhorent views about Jews, homosexuals, women and so on. And he has never once taken the opportunity to unequivocally condemn them. He chairs an organisation that believes killing British soldiers is acceptable.

• fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Greg Dawson ‏@Gregstweet 50m50 minutes ago
    Just spoken to Jeremy Corbyn. He's confirmed he intends to have other Labour MPs take his role at some sessions of PMQs

Greg Dawson ‏@Gregstweet 43m43 minutes ago
    Corbyn on PMQs: "David Cameron enjoys a bit of repartee but it's going to be one-way"

Greg Dawson ‏@Gregstweet 41m41 minutes ago
    Corbyn on PMQs "We should share it out a bit. I've been in touch with the speaker's office to ask about this."

Greg Dawson ‏@Gregstweet 28m28 minutes ago
    Corbyn quotes a friend: "the best leaders those that assume the position with reluctance because they do it best."
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Estobar said:

Great day for Labour, great day for democracy, great day for discourse. I'm over the moon.

Was that meant to be 'great day for discord'?
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Estobar said:

I imagine you are nearly as pleased as the Tories, nearly, but not quite.
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Just spoken to Jeremy Corbyn. He's confirmed he intends to have other Labour MPs take his role at some sessions of PMQs

Corbyn on PMQs: "David Cameron enjoys a bit of repartee but it's going to be one-way"

Corbyn on PMQs "We should share it out a bit. I've been in touch with the speaker's office to ask about this."

Corbyn quotes a friend: "the best leaders those that assume the position with reluctance because they do it best."

What a joke.
  • MattW said:

When does JC get his first lot of appts to the Lords?

Is there anyone we should be looking out for?

Years and years back, I believe when this site was still using its custom comments rather than Disqus, and well before we got Vanilla, I noted the rise of the economic theory of chartalism, and its derivatives like MMT, among the British Left, being spread by organisations like the New Economics Foundation. My analysis at the time was that it was quite likely it would capture some of the minor left-wing parties like the Greens, and that there was a substantial grassroots movement within the Labour party that was promoting it.

Well, Corbyn's idea of "People's QE" idea comes from his economic adviser Richard Murphy, a strong adherent of MMT. Astonishing, and a name to watch out for more from in the near future.

I didn't think such fringe economic ideas would take over the Labour front-bench because I had expected the likes of Ed Balls to stand in the way of it. But you live and learn.
    I don't know quite what traction Corbyn's past will have outside the political gimps. At some point the press will tire of it. Clearly Corbyn never even remotely considered holding a responsible post in the party- so it didn't matter.

Now Corbyn is leader- and with a bullet proof mandate- he cannot be removed against his will- let's see how he behaves. Today's speech though was an impressive start.

tyson said:

tyson said:

Southam

Labour has as its leader someone who has spent 40 years sharing platforms with a selection of people who hold a range of abhorent views about Jews, homosexuals, women and so on. And he has never once taken the opportunity to unequivocally condemn them. He chairs an organisation that believes killing British soldiers is acceptable.

That Portsmouth flag looks a bit Islamic to me...
  • Boxing day blues tomorrow plus of course a mandatory Spurs shambles.
    edited September 2015
    Andy Burnham can console himself with Naismith's hatrick against Chelski.

Sorry for spoiling all those waiting for MoD to watch the matches but I couldn't resist
  • alex. said:

Jamie Reed, Rachel Reeves, Tristram Hunt, Liz Kendall and Emma Reynolds all resign from the opposition front bench, but its OK cos no one has heard of them before.

Cooper has effectively ruled herself out as well.

Dan Jarvis has also said he won't serve under Corbyn.

• Question: Will Corbyn surivive in his post longer than Mourinho?
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

And the titles of luckiest politician and luckiest political party go to Fallon and the LDs.

What's the Secretary of State for Defence done to earn that accolade?
    LOL Early morning typo... Eyes were still bleary
  • Fallon's comments confirm that the Conservative tactics will be to attack the man's policies not the man.

Very wise.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    If Burnham couldn't get a ticket today, he will be even more hacked off about today's results. 3-1 up.
  • You know better than to trust Wikipedia without clicking on the references, surely Sunil?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/business/local-business/fallon-to-be-unveiled-as-minister-for-portsmouth-1-5811216

"Portsmouth is to get its own minister charged with dealing with the fall-out from the planned closure of the city’s shipbuilding yard and the loss of more than 900 jobs."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-25753398

"Michael Fallon has been named Minister for Portsmouth to help the city recover from the loss of shipbuilding."

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/essex-mp-mark-francois-appointed-minister-for-portsmouth-1-6743792

"FORMER armed forces minister Mark Francois has been appointed the new minister for Portsmouth, The News can reveal."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28303854
    "Matthew Hancock (moved)
    Gets more senior role in business department and takes on role of energy minister.

The MP, who is a close ally of Chancellor George Osborne, is taking on Michael Fallon's old portfolio of jobs as minister of state for energy, business and Portsmouth."

Not a spoof.

• tyson said:

I don't know quite what traction Corbyn's past will have outside the political gimps. At some point the press will tire of it. Clearly Corbyn never even remotely considered holding a responsible post in the party- so it didn't matter.

Now Corbyn is leader- and with a bullet proof mandate- he cannot be removed against his will- let's see how he behaves. Today's speech though was an impressive start.

tyson said:

tyson said:

Southam

You will very soon discover what traction his record has.

• foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

JC is the Messiah and I am a disciple!!

Hmm,

That is not what you posted in Tunisia when Corbyn's Jihadists turned-up. Maybe you are just a joke, hey...?
    As a matter of interest did Jezzallahakbar make any comment on the Tunisian massacre? Clearly it was all the fault of British imperialists getting their commuppance?
    Just received an email from CCHQ 'Labour's new leader is a threat to our national security, our economic security, and your family's security' Mention of Osama, Hezbollah and taxes. Finiahes with 'We can't ever let Labour back into power again'.

I think we can assume the Tories are going all out straight away.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    tyson said:

Well I am really quite pleased with the leadership vote. I turned to Jeremy last night.

And you all should be here- and not for the obvious political reasons. Corbyn is the antithesis of the career spad politician. He has a refreshing simplicity. Just think no more stunts. No more hugging hoodies, or trips to Greenland. No EdStones or trips to Russell Brand. No more opportunistic political cross dressing. No more Osborne or Brownlike scheming. I'm sure that most of you here hate all that spin bullshit as much as I do.

Hopefully Jeremy with his honesty and his authenticity will change politics in the UK for the better and that can only be a very good thing.

Exactly! Was really sorry to be in disagreement with you recently.

Now, Southam, let's have a chat... :-)
  • kle4 said:

PlatoSays said:

With him drawing the straw to make the personal attack on Ed M during the GE, and now first out on Corbyn after his election, I get the impression it's his role in the party to make the potentially over the top comparisons, then for Cameron and others more moderate to seem more measured in their criticism.
    Quite. And trying the attack lines out before Cameron and more important people use them. He's striking a Mcarthyite 'reds under the bed' tone that I think people are going to be more bemused than convinced by.
  • AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Diane Abbott to be new shadow Chancellor. Big Len to be made a lord and given shad home sec. Lord Mark Serwotka as foreign secretary.

Probably.
  • TudorRose said:

Just received an email from CCHQ 'Labour's new leader is a threat to our national security, our economic security, and your family's security' Mention of Osama, Hezbollah and taxes. Finiahes with 'We can't ever let Labour back into power again'.

If the Tories want what is in the country's best interest, as opposed to what is merely in their own electoral interests, they will want to see Corbyn deposed as soon as possible.
  • An Eagle to be Shad Chancellor.

Corking idea.
  • One quick thought on the Labour succession.

The £3 rule will stay in place now for the next contest so the far left will again be able to influence the result - unless only one candidate is nominated. That to me seems the only way of replacing Corbyn effectively i.e. not mounting a coup only for him or someone similar to (re)gain the leadership. Could alternate candidates and nominating MPs show that discipline? Possibly: the Tories did in 2003. Is there a potential candidate to unite around? Not many. I don't think it'd be credible for anyone of the Cooper/Burnham generation, never mind someone younger. Harman or Johnson would provide the best opportunity. I know Johnson's ruled himself out of a return to the front line but in a mission to save his party, called on by the great and good? I wouldn't rule it out, though I'd still place Harman ahead of him if setting the odds.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Jezza down the boozer with his chums, leading a tuneless rendition of The Red Flag....
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Just saw Jezza and the comrades singing "the red flag" in the pub.

Snigger
    alex. said:

The Star and Crescent is just one of many things that the Muslims copied from the Byzantines, including the use of domes in mosques. Early Mosques had open courtyards.

Portsmouth got it from the Byzantines too, but via King Richard 1st.

http://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/star and cresent.html
  • A tee-totaller in the boozer, what fun...
    RodCrosby said:

Jezza down the boozer with his chums, leading a tuneless rendition of The Red Flag....

• GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Not sure about that Adam Bienkov tweet in the header above.

Corbyn scored 49.59% of member's votes, versus 83.76% of £3 entryists.

To be fair, there is something in what you say. The problem, however, is his history.

I'm close enough to the history to understand it while disagreeing with some of the decisions. JC has always been profoundly sceptical about Western foreign policy, which he thinks has been consistently counter-productive and arrogant. He thinks that we don't understand half the people we fight and it's been part of his role to give them a platform. It hasn't involved supporting them, and amid all the quotes from the last 40 years of his political life - a long time to open up hostages to fortune - I've not seen one that endorsed Hamas, the IRA or anyone else that most of us would have seen as the enemy.

Are the meetings embarrassing now he's got an entirely different role? Probably. Are they especially relevant to whether he'll make a good leader? No. Judge him by what he does now.

Roger said:

Fox

I think that we may see a Lazarus like revival of the LDs. If Farron cannot exploit this then we will have Blue hegemony.
  • alex. said:

Lots of senior Labour MPs finding passionate causes that they want to concentrate on which would sadly get in the way of being able to serve in the Shadow Cabinet.

Then they're bloody idiots because they won't have added to their CVs by the time the next leadership election comes round in 2018 or so. Even Tony Blair of blessed memory made his name in Opposition, not government.
    Not sure your logic holds there, old chap. Haven't Labour just elected a leader who has never held a shadow or government post?
    Future contenders need to do something in the Shadow Cabinet, not just keep the seats warm: that's the point.
    That's not necessarily true. Future contenders can burnish their credential by establishing a leadership-in-exile on the backbenches. As long as they look and sound like leadership material, and outshine the front bench, they should be ok. It would have been the Heseltine route to the Tory leadership had he been able to wait until Thatcher lost the 1991/2 general election.

That said, the front bench still offers the better opportunities as long as the contenders don't become too tainted by looniness.
    Hestletine as the Boris of his day? Hugely charismatic and a conference star but in the right place at the wrong time.
    RodCrosby said:

McCluskey and McDonnell in attendance. Could be a long party, if it's organised by Scousers...
  • LOL
    Jeremy Corbyn is the Steve Brookstein of British politics: He's just won the phone vote but the British public are not going to buy his records

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3231042/Jeremy-Corbyn-Steve-Brookstein-British-politics-s-just-won-phone-vote-British-public-not-going-buy-records-writes-MATT-CHORLEY.html#ixzz3lX1r40WF
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • An Eagle to be Shad Chancellor.

Corking idea.

You backed her too then?
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

McCluskey and McDonnell in attendance. Could be a long party, if it's organised by Scousers...
    Where can this great event be seen?
  • Roger said:

Fox

I think that we may see a Lazarus like revival of the LDs. If Farron cannot exploit this then we will have Blue hegemony.
    Farron exploiting this would help the blue hegemony
    I flipped back after flopping for Jeremy last night Nick. Corbyn exudes a refreshingly, folky charm, which you cannot learn and is rather quite appealing. He is actually much more charming and likeable than Michael Foot who he is often compared to.

Many of the pbCOM diehards have only judged Corbyn on his headlines and past affiliations. You of course know him very well which obviously influenced your support.

I'm sure, the more we all get to see of him, the more we'll all get to like him whatever our persuasions.

tyson said:

Well I am really quite pleased with the leadership vote. I turned to Jeremy last night.

And you all should be here- and not for the obvious political reasons. Corbyn is the antithesis of the career spad politician. He has a refreshing simplicity. Just think no more stunts. No more hugging hoodies, or trips to Greenland. No EdStones or trips to Russell Brand. No more opportunistic political cross dressing. No more Osborne or Brownlike scheming. I'm sure that most of you here hate all that spin bullshit as much as I do.

Hopefully Jeremy with his honesty and his authenticity will change politics in the UK for the better and that can only be a very good thing.

Exactly! Was really sorry to be in disagreement with you recently.

Now, Southam, let's have a chat... :-)
  • SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    edited September 2015

alex. said:

The Star and Crescent is just one of many things that the Muslims copied from the Byzantines, including the use of domes in mosques. Early Mosques had open courtyards.

Portsmouth got it from the Byzantines too, but via King Richard 1st.

http://www.welcometoportsmouth.co.uk/star and cresent.html
    I seem to remember a case of a construction worker who was captured in a Middle Eastern country by Islamic militants and persuaded them that his Portsmouth FC t-shirt meant that he was a supporter of their cause and persuaded them to let him go.

One quick thought on the Labour succession.

The £3 rule will stay in place now for the next contest so the far left will again be able to influence the result - unless only one candidate is nominated. That to me seems the only way of replacing Corbyn effectively i.e. not mounting a coup only for him or someone similar to (re)gain the leadership. Could alternate candidates and nominating MPs show that discipline? Possibly: the Tories did in 2003. Is there a potential candidate to unite around? Not many. I don't think it'd be credible for anyone of the Cooper/Burnham generation, never mind someone younger. Harman or Johnson would provide the best opportunity. I know Johnson's ruled himself out of a return to the front line but in a mission to save his party, called on by the great and good? I wouldn't rule it out, though I'd still place Harman ahead of him if setting the odds.

Now it has been exposed, the entryist loophole can be exploited by any faction within the party that can light sufficient fire in supporters' bellies. Why assume it will only ever benefit the far left?
    alex. said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/642690074803589120?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
  • TudorRose said:

It's their job. Doubtless CCHQ will have prepared attack lines against the others, just in case.
  • Is Corbyn going to be the first Labour Leader in living memory to be refused a meeting with the POTUS? I recall Kinnock having some trouble.
  • tyson said:

tyson said:

tyson said:

Southam

You will very soon discover what traction his record has.

Corbyn's record is exemplary, he's been ahead of consensus, sea-green incorruptible and right.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    tyson said:

I'm sure, the more we all get to see of him, the more we'll all get to like him whatever our persuasions.

Exactly the same was said nearly five years ago about Ed Miliband.

How did that play out?

• SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2015
    RodCrosby said:

Unfortunately you can't post videos here

Edit.. Thanks.
    RodCrosby said:

alex. said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/642690074803589120?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

JC is the Messiah and I am a disciple!!

Hmm,

As a matter of interest did Jezzallahakbar make any comment on the Tunisian massacre? Clearly it was all the fault of British imperialists getting their commuppance?
    "Stop the War" issued this statement on Tunisia:

http://stopwar.org.uk/news/is-islamic-state-massacre-of-uk-holidaymakers-in-tunisia-only-the-beginning

In brief: no sympathy for the victims, and it was our governments fault for provoking IS.

Jezza blamed Austerity. Yes really!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/588753/Tunisia-terror-attack-Labour-Jeremy-Corbyn-Islamic-State-ISIS-Question-Time

Feeling happy about JC still BJO?
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I'm close enough to the history to understand it while disagreeing with some of the decisions. JC has always been profoundly sceptical about Western foreign policy, which he thinks has been consistently counter-productive and arrogant. He thinks that we don't understand half the people we fight and it's been part of his role to give them a platform. It hasn't involved supporting them, and amid all the quotes from the last 40 years of his political life - a long time to open up hostages to fortune - I've not seen one that endorsed Hamas, the IRA or anyone else that most of us would have seen as the enemy.

Are the meetings embarrassing now he's got an entirely different role? Probably. Are they especially relevant to whether he'll make a good leader? No. Judge him by what he does now.

That would be quite a good apologia if only it covered a proportion of similar approaches to the consistently other side in those arguments.

As it is, I personally will take some convincing.

Mr Corbyn needs to start building a track record of support for some of this country's traditional friends and interests if he wants my vote.
    MTimT said:

Now it has been exposed, the entryist loophole can be exploited by any faction within the party that can light sufficient fire in supporters' bellies. Why assume it will only ever benefit the far left?
    Or outside the party. I wonder whether we will ever know how many Tory £3ers voted.

I'm close enough to the history to understand it while disagreeing with some of the decisions. JC has always been profoundly sceptical about Western foreign policy, which he thinks has been consistently counter-productive and arrogant. He thinks that we don't understand half the people we fight and it's been part of his role to give them a platform. I

I wonder if he's ever made the effort to understand the Tory Party and Tory voters?
  • TudorRose said:

Estobar said:

Was that meant to be 'great day for discord'?
    Where there is discord Jezza will bring harmony etc

• john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @tyson

'Corbyn is the antithesis of the career spad politician. He has a refreshing simplicity. Just think no more stunts. No more hugging hoodies, or trips to Greenland. No EdStones or trips to Russell Brand.'

Just failed Marxist policies and sucking up to terrorists instead, brilliant .
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    PlatoSays said:

A tee-totaller in the boozer, what fun...

RodCrosby said:

Welcome to my world.

Still, it was never so bad I had to sing the Red Flag!!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,095
    Speedy said:

MattW said:

When does JC get his first lot of appts to the Lords?

Is there anyone we should be looking out for?

Prescott?
    H.e's already in.

Lord Thumper of Kingston upon Hull.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Curious day.

Remember hearing Ed Miliband won on the radio back in 2010 and thinking to myself that 2015 was lost.

Right now, not sure what to think apart from it's going to be an interesting time ahead.
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Edit.. Thanks.
    RodCrosby said:

alex. said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Seems they're a little hazy on the words ;)
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2015
    So... if we assume for the moment that Corbyn is unelectable...where do we see Labour's vote % at the GE and where will all the votes go to if it is down to 20%?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    john_zims said:

@tyson

'Corbyn is the antithesis of the career spad politician. He has a refreshing simplicity. Just think no more stunts. No more hugging hoodies, or trips to Greenland. No EdStones or trips to Russell Brand.'

I think the idea there will be no more stunts is overly optimistic. There will just be different stunts. He may well be authentic and simple, but how his authenticity and simpleness will be presented is still a brand thing.

A pleasant day to all. Corbyn will probably surprise some, but his fundamental positions still seem too much to make up for those he will put off, I suspect. We shall see.
  • PlatoSays said:

RodCrosby said:

I'm a tee-totaller and I've been to many pubs including, as you know, PB meets :)
  • I prefer the lyrics to Oh Christmas Tree, myself.
    alex. said:

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Edit.. Thanks.
    RodCrosby said:

alex. said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

PlatoSays said:

I prefer the lyrics to Oh Christmas Tree, myself.

alex. said:

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Edit.. Thanks.
    RodCrosby said:

alex. said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

O Tannenbaum...
    edited September 2015
    MattW said:
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3h3 hours ago
    Next LAB leader betting from Hills
    3/1 Umunna
    7/2Jarvis
    5/1 Watson
    7/1 D Miliband
    8/1 Hunt;
    12/1 Cooper & Reeves

Umunna auditioning for the role of Liz Kendall.
    It won't be any who got humiliated in this leadership election, so that's Umunna, Hunt, Cooper, Reeves, Burnham and the shadow cabinet resigners out.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Difficult, as I thought the existing leader was allowed to enter the contest without getting any nominations should a challenge be made and they wanted to stand.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    fitalass said:

Twitter

So Corbyn is going to pass on the only regularly scheduled opportunity he has to hold the government to account; the one weekly chance to ask the PM anything and he doesn't want to do it?

How can he seriously call himself the Leader of the Opposition if he can't be bothered to oppose the government?
  • Well done to Corbyn, his supporters and those who backed him, you haven't had much to cheer about for a while so enjoy yourselves.

The most sanctimonious phrase ever is "I told you so", in a few months time I'm afraid you lot are going to have to get used to that. You've got what you wanted, it will end in tears for you.
  • Speedy said:

MattW said:
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 3h3 hours ago
    Next LAB leader betting from Hills
    3/1 Umunna
    7/2Jarvis
    5/1 Watson
    7/1 D Miliband
    8/1 Hunt;
    12/1 Cooper & Reeves

Umunna auditioning for the role of Liz Kendall.
    It won't be any who got humiliated in this leadership election, so that's Umunna, Hunt, Cooper, Reeves, Burnham and the shadow cabinet resigners out.
    The next Labour leader will need to accept the anti-austerity positioning that the party electorate expect. None of those names look like value.
    kle4 said:

john_zims said:

@tyson

I think the idea there will be no more stunts is overly optimistic. There will just be different stunts. He may well be authentic and simple, but how his authenticity and simpleness will be presented is still a brand thing.

A pleasant day to all. Corbyn will probably surprise some, but his fundamental positions still seem too much to make up for those he will put off, I suspect. We shall see.
    And, if US politics are anything to go by, it matters less who Corbyn is and more how he is framed to be.

So far, he may have won that battle within the Labour Selectorate, but he is losing it badly in the media. It will be interesting to see the first opinion polls to see which of those two is having the greater effect on framing who Corbyn is with the electorate.
    Funny, I was thinking of 2010. I was absolutely gutted about David losing and thought Labour had made a terrible mistake in electing Ed who was clearly not credible.

Today, I think at the end I wanted Yvette to win, but I am not upset by Corbyn's victory and look forward to see how things progress.
    Jonathan said:

Curious day.

Remember hearing Ed Miliband won on the radio back in 2010 and thinking to myself that 2015 was lost.

Right now, not sure what to think apart from it's going to be an interesting time ahead.

• Roger said:

Fox

A comment by @Slade on a thread long past:

There is also this version, courtesy of The Liberator Songbook, sometimes sung at the Lib Dem Glee Club:

The people's flag is slightly pink
    It's not as red as most folk think
    We must not let the people know
    What socialists thought long ago.

Chorus:
    Don't let the scarlet banner float
    We want the middle classes vote
    Let our old-fashioned comrades sneer
    We'll stay in power for many a year.
    Now that that's gone out the windows, I think the Lib Dems will be celebrating tonight.
    Sandpit said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

So Corbyn is going to pass on the only regularly scheduled opportunity he has to hold the government to account; the one weekly chance to ask the PM anything and he doesn't want to do it?

How can he seriously call himself the Leader of the Opposition if he can't be bothered to oppose the government?
    He's more comfortable opposing the government in votes and in rallies, fits with his style of irregular warfare, also that means that Cameron will have to prepare to deal with dozens of different shadow ministers, each with a distinctive style and quality.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Is Corbyn going to be the first Labour Leader in living memory to be refused a meeting with the POTUS? I recall Kinnock having some trouble.

Don't you believe it! Jezzah will be bosom pals with Obama, they have many things in common. Love hugging Islam and muslims, for one.
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Estobar said:

cash for votes = democracy?
  • Going to be one helluva Labour hangover tomorrow...on a number of levels..as in "what the feck are we gonna do now"

...and that's just what is left of the Shadow Cabinet..
    Speedy said:

Sandpit said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

He's more comfortable opposing the government in votes and in rallies, fits with his style of irregular warfare, also that means that Cameron will have to prepare to deal with dozens of different shadow ministers, each with a distinctive style and quality.
    I doubt the Speaker will allow it. And anyway, if the LOTO can appoint anyone to act on his behalf, there's nothing stopping Cameron doing the same.

PlatoSays said:

RodCrosby said:

I'm a tee-totaller and I've been to many pubs including, as you know, PB meets :)
    He isn't actually a teetotaller - more like me, drinks a glass now and then to be sociable but has never really got a taste for it. Not sure he shares my liking for Coca-Cola though, imperialist brew that it is :-)
  • PlatoSays said:

I prefer the lyrics to Oh Christmas Tree, myself.

alex. said:

Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

Edit.. Thanks.
    RodCrosby said:

alex. said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Some suggestions: http://everything2.com/title/The+People%27s+Flag+is+Palest+Pink

This is very much the New Labour version:
    The people's flag is palest pink
    It's not the colour you might think
    White collar workers stand and cheer
    The Labour government is here

We'll change the country bit by bit
    So nobody will notice it
    And just to show that we're sincere
    We'll sing The Red Flag once a year

The cloth cap and the woolen scarf
    Are images outdated
    For we're the party's avant garde