Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB competitions results

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    DanSmith said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Labour are leading in the polls within a year.

Even his fiercest opponents have predicted Corbyn will probably have a lead in the polls at some point, so it wouldn't be a total surprise/.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

TudorRose said:

Just had an email from Corbyn (actually it came through twice) He'll be there on Wednesday asking questions;

"When I stand at the despatch box for Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday, I want to be your voice.

What do you want to ask David Cameron? Tell me now and I will put your questions to him in parliament. My questions will be your questions."

Can you believe your luck Dave?
    Do you think Cam might stay on now? I mean, in theory, he could have have 15 years as Prime Minister - Beating even the Blessed Margaret.

He must be tempted...
    I think it may come down to the personal rather than the political. Ten years as PM and fifteen as Conservative leader is a decent run and he may consider his family should now come first.

I know how it feels. I'm feeling the strain after more than ten years as a PB leg(end) - part of the furniture and six years as PB TOTY .... :smile:

And a staunch Jacobite for the past, oh, 150 years? :D
    Rob, why do you pander to the Disney Scot, he would not recognise a Jacobite if he tripped over one.
    They tend to wear big wigs, so are hard to miss, even for the most senile of our posters.......... sorry Jack ;)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    malcolmg said:

Jay , I am capable I have to say , not all of my posts are aimed at frother baiting

Thought I would be castigated as a "Turnip", anyway I was up in your fine country last week making my annual pilgrimage to Fort Bill, and in all my 30 years of making this trip, I have to say it was the best weather ever, and I was treated with extreme courtesy, as always.
    Thanks

Jayfdee, Glad to hear it , going by the rubbish you see posted on here you would think we all had 3 heads and were hiding behind bushes waiting for unsuspecting English people. You were lucky with the weather as it has been a poor summer.

It was not too bad when I was in my holiday, taking in An Gearasdan, except for the bit when I arrived at Inbhir Nis and decided to go on a ten mile hike to Culloden Moor.

At that point the heavens literally opened. It is a long while since I have been that wet.

And of course, everyone treated me with the utmost courtesy and consideration, and I will say again that the service in Glaswegian restaurants is as good as I have found anywhere in the world with the possible exception of Susanville in California.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2015

Er, in 1996 Blair Mandelson and Campell were in opposition, but I agree. Politicisation of management in the NHS and Police were similarly affected. Armed forces too from what I hear.

It looks as if I am not going to be able to sneak off to Duxford next week, though sorely tempted. May try the Jerome trick, but unlikely to be granted shore leave. Have a good time!

Doc, I know who was in opposition in 1996, that was sort of the point - the malignant influence was already being felt.

As per the air show: its already too late. In fact it was already too late last Monday when I tried to buy tickets for Mr. Jessup and myself - all sold out. Bummer, and I had an overnight pink ticket too.
    Pity! Watching the LD conference on BBC Parliament it is then :-(

LCFC away at Stoke also sold out. It would be good to kick them while they are down.

The Lib Dems have also had a surge in new members. It is said many of the new members will be going to the Annual Conference. It will be interesting to see if they are Liberal or SDP minded and if they have an influence on policy eg being more interventionist and trade protectionist than a liberal should be.
    One difference is that the turnout in the LD Leadership election was only 56% (33,897). Which does not indicate that they have a lot of engaged people in their party. A much lower turnout than Labour's membership I believe.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    edited September 2015

Er, in 1996 Blair Mandelson and Campell were in opposition, but I agree. Politicisation of management in the NHS and Police were similarly affected. Armed forces too from what I hear.

It looks as if I am not going to be able to sneak off to Duxford next week, though sorely tempted. May try the Jerome trick, but unlikely to be granted shore leave. Have a good time!

Doc, I know who was in opposition in 1996, that was sort of the point - the malignant influence was already being felt.

As per the air show: its already too late. In fact it was already too late last Monday when I tried to buy tickets for Mr. Jessup and myself - all sold out. Bummer, and I had an overnight pink ticket too.

LCFC away at Stoke also sold out. It would be good to kick them while they are down.

The Lib Dems have also had a surge in new members. It is said many of the new members will be going to the Annual Conference. It will be interesting to see if they are Liberal or SDP minded and if they have an influence on policy eg being more interventionist and trade protectionist than a liberal should be.

Suspect much of the "increase" is former members and supporters who are relieved that the Party is no longer propping up the illiberal Cameron, Osborne and especially IDS.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    edited September 2015

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

malcolmg said:

chestnut said:

Imagine being an MP and former soldier having served in Afghanistan - now led by a CND supporter who wouldn't tackle ISIS, describes Bin Laden's death as a tragedy.

What difference does that make, if you are stupid enough to join the army you should expect to be sent to do your master's bidding for your wages. You should should not expect everybody to think you are great because you did this or to fawn over you. It was a career choice not something virtuous.
    It makes the difference that you personally made a choice to fight in something, and someone is happy to just dump your work. Sharing values.

No you picked a job , they are told where and when they will fight , it is not a pick and choose. It is just a job selection.
    Some jobs are more admirable than others.
    Personal opinion , being ordered about like a dog by some halfwit does not light my candle.

PS :When I think of it though , I would be at least a General so back at base quaffing champers etc and ordering some minions to get the grunts cracking. May not be so bad being served hand and foot , a superhero to hand me my clothes , free top notch food and drink and massive pension.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

TudorRose said:

Just had an email from Corbyn (actually it came through twice) He'll be there on Wednesday asking questions;

"When I stand at the despatch box for Prime Minister's Questions on Wednesday, I want to be your voice.

What do you want to ask David Cameron? Tell me now and I will put your questions to him in parliament. My questions will be your questions."

Do you think Cam might stay on now? I mean, in theory, he could have have 15 years as Prime Minister - Beating even the Blessed Margaret.

He must be tempted...
    I think it may come down to the personal rather than the political. Ten years as PM and fifteen as Conservative leader is a decent run and he may consider his family should now come first.

I know how it feels. I'm feeling the strain after more than ten years as a PB leg(end) - part of the furniture and six years as PB TOTY .... :smile:

Rob, why do you pander to the Disney Scot, he would not recognise a Jacobite if he tripped over one.
    Poor malcolmg - just a sour deep fried turnip.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606
    edited September 2015
    A surprisingly thoughtful article from Charles Moore. Definitely a top piece and worth reading:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/11859029/Nothing-has-changed-in-25-years-toease-my-concerns-about-Islam.html

It is something I would expect from our own SeanT.
  • Options
    Apparently being in the armed forces and defending your country is not an honourable profession..according to a Scot.. Gonna be a lot of Fine Scottish regiments disagree with that assumption..
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

SeanT.. slight correction.. the idiot wants to give them away.. not back...and fuck the residents,

Lol, nearly ended up defending the IRA now defending SeanT, what's wrong with the world!

The Argies gave the islands AWAY - to us.

So specifically, it is correct to say we would be giving them BACK.
    The Argies never owned the islands.
    My understanding was their legal argument was the islands belonged to Spain, and as the successor state to Spain in the region they now belong to them. Not saying that argument is correct, but I find it interesting that it is more complicated than just 'the islands are close to argentina'.
    Pardon me but why is anyone here even thinking about arguing about the sovereignty of the Falkland Islands? Since when was it in doubt? Stop wasting your breath.
    I didn't realise we needed your permission to raise or answer or debate random questions.
    Did I say I was demanding permission? What is the point of talking about of speculating about the Falklands? They are British territory, we all know that. Why is anyone bothering to discuss it? Leave it to the nutjobs
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    'It is understood that Andy Burnham, who came second in the leadership contest, is now unsure as to whether he will take up an invitation to work with Corbyn. One source said Burnham had been approached but that the chances of him joining the shadow cabinet were “slim”.'
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/12/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leader-mps-party-split
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

TudorRose said:

He must be tempted...

Poor malcolmg - just a sour deep fried turnip.

Ha Ha Ha , your poor ripostes are as stale as your pies.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

TudorRose said:

He must be tempted...

They tend to wear big wigs, so are hard to miss, even for the most senile of our posters.. ;)
    There's no need to be rude about OGH and his massive toupees.

• Options
    RodCrosby said:

'It is understood that Andy Burnham, who came second in the leadership contest, is now unsure as to whether he will take up an invitation to work with Corbyn. One source said Burnham had been approached but that the chances of him joining the shadow cabinet were “slim”.'
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/12/jeremy-corbyn-labour-leader-mps-party-split

Lol, didn't he say he would a few days ago?
  • Options
    JackW said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

TudorRose said:

He must be tempted...

They tend to wear big wigs, so are hard to miss, even for the most senile of our posters.. ;)
    There's no need to be rude about OGH and his massive toupees.

titter

*awaits ban*
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Andy Burnham flip flops again. Just bear antics in woods.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    RobD.. He tends to change his mind every few days..that's what probably cost him a lot of votes.. he might have to check with his mum first..
  • Options
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

I guess quite a few a bricking it. If Corbyn ends up being destroyed by some as yet unrevealed skeleton unveiled by the MSM, their judgment in agreeing to serve will be questioned...
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Andy Burnham flip flops again. Just bear antics in woods.
    Maybe he can serve on even-numbered days only?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    RodCrosby said:

Last person out of the shadow cabinet please turn out the lights... ;)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

I guess quite a few a bricking it. If Corbyn ends up being destroyed by some as yet unrevealed skeleton unveiled by the MSM, their judgment in agreeing to serve will be questioned...
    I'm not sure an as-yet-unrevealed skeleton would be that much of a problem: that could be pinned entirely on Corbyn. It's if his leadership crashes and burns for all the reasons already known about that the taint affects everyone.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    TudorRose said:

Er, how many questions does he thinks he gets?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

Be fair, he couldn't say he wouldn't until he'd said he would. Otherwise it wouldn't have been a flip-flop and the poor man would have been most confused.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Burham still playing the dithering nincompoop, even though the contest is over. #wally
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336
    RobD said:

JackW said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

TudorRose said:

He must be tempted...

It would surprise me if the calculations weren't reputational and financial. Cameron's an independently wealthy man, but as Bill Clinton and Tony Blair have shown there's oligarch money to be made on the ex-leader circuit for someone who's perceived as a success (Blair generally is abroad). Go in 2020 and, unless anything bonkers happens between now and then he'll go out as the man who returned the Tories to power while cutting the state back to levels they hadn't dreamed of since shoulder pads were a thing. He must know that historically for the two recent three term PMs it was in their third term that their government started to stink the place out a bit - every scandal or mishap is resolutely pinned on you, the public get bored of you and begin to work out your more damaging flaws, the opposition has usually began to work out what it needs to do to win and within your own party the next generation think they know better than you, while your one begins to wonder if it will ever happen to them and want to get rid of you.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

I'm not sure an as-yet-unrevealed skeleton would be that much of a problem: that could be pinned entirely on Corbyn. It's if his leadership crashes and burns for all the reasons already known about that the taint affects everyone.
    Besides, what could possibly be worse than what has already been revealed? Short of something actually criminal, it's pretty bad as it is.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    malcolmg said:

No you picked a job , they are told where and when they will fight , it is not a pick and choose. It is just a job selection.

And then you are told all fighting is pointless.

Imagine the next SNP leader tells you, "looking for independence is pointless".

How you going to feel?
  • Options
    Just theoretically, if Corbyn can't persuade more than a handful of MPs to join his team, how can his leadership actually survive? Regardless of what the "membership" think.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

KGB? PIE? or somesuch? Just hypothetically, for the sake of argument, you understand...
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Burham still playing the dithering nincompoop, even though the contest is over. #wally
    Heard this one the other day:

"If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck..... it's probably Andy Burnham after being told to be more duck-like "

• Options
    Corbyn cannot be a leader if he has no one to lead.. in terms of filling the ministerial positions..The other Party leaders would soon be all over that situation
  • Options
    alex. said:

Just theoretically, if Corbyn can't persuade more than a handful of MPs to join his team, how can his leadership actually survive? Regardless of what the "membership" think.

There was a wonderful HIGNFY closing photo in its early days, with the caption 'Margaret Thatcher unveils her new cabinet.' It was her, sitting on her own at the cabinet table.

I think as long as he can get a dozen people to serve, he'll be OK (that was the size of Michael Howard's first Shadow Cabinet, after all) although some might have to double up on shadow briefs. Remember, otherwise it's mostly just random patronage and meaningless titles anyway in Opposition.

It won't look like a government in waiting, but with the Jezziah at the helm it wouldn't anyway even if he had a shadow cabinet of 100 dominated by all three Pitts, Fox, Disraeli, Gladstone, Russell, Palmerston, Lloyd George, Churchill, Macmillan, Attlee, Bevin, Bevan and Kenneth Clarke.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Dair said:

SeanT.. slight correction.. the idiot wants to give them away.. not back...and fuck the residents,

Lol, nearly ended up defending the IRA now defending SeanT, what's wrong with the world!

The Argies gave the islands AWAY - to us.

So specifically, it is correct to say we would be giving them BACK.
    The Argies never owned the islands.
    My understanding was their legal argument was the islands belonged to Spain, and as the successor state to Spain in the region they now belong to them. Not saying that argument is correct, but I find it interesting that it is more complicated than just 'the islands are close to argentina'.
    "proximity" becomes quite compelling, likely decisive, if it again comes to a fight, which becomes more likely if you think your opponent isn't up for it.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Shadow Cab from the Lords. I will await the call to serve.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex. said:

There was a wonderful HIGNFY closing photo in its early days, with the caption 'Margaret Thatcher unveils her new cabinet.' It was her, sitting on her own at the cabinet table.

I think as long as he can get a dozen people to serve, he'll be OK (that was the size of Michael Howard's first Shadow Cabinet, after all) although some might have to double up on shadow briefs. Remember, otherwise it's mostly just random patronage and meaningless titles anyway in Opposition.

It won't look like a government in waiting, but with the Jezziah at the helm it wouldn't anyway even if he had a shadow cabinet of 100 dominated by all three Pitts, Fox, Disraeli, Gladstone, Russell, Palmerston, Lloyd George, Churchill, Macmillan, Attlee, Bevin, Bevan and Kenneth Clarke.
    Pitt the glint in the milkman's eye?
  • Options
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Pitt the glint in the milkman's eye?
    Well, I had in mind Pitt the Elder, Pitt the Younger and the second Earl of Chatham. But we'll go with Pitt the Toddler, Pitt the Foetus and Pitt the Glint in the Milkman's Eye if you like! :wink:
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976
    Not sure his 'ask a question at pmqs' or a rotating pmqs is going down too well. Coupled with congratulations from Argentina, Hamas, mcguiness. I think the wheels will fall off the bandwagon relatively quickly. Give it 2 years.
  • Options

I find this trend on the left towards masochism a bit disturbing. It's something like laughing at JC but then thinking, what if .......
  • Options
    Anecdote to finish. A friend of mine, who works in the public sector, rang up this morning very pleased with the news Corbyn had won, although he was laughing at the silliness of the idea of this stupid old man trying to run a major party.

I then explained to him what this means. It is an untrammelled licence to Cameron and Osborne to do what they like. Expect benefit cuts, tax cuts, and an all-out war on the Equalities Act. Expect further that they will drive through more radical reform of the public sector - the NHS, schools and universities - and their funding models. Also expect major cuts in staffing.

Now, some of these may be good things, on their own. But will they be done well? No. Because there is no reason to be careful, or scrupulous, or to think through the consequences, when Britain is a one-party state. Even though I do not credit Cameron and Osborne with the malice imputed to them by Labour, there is no doubt that they are prone to arrogance and also very prone to error. So these things, taken together, will be a shambles - possibly an expensive one too, but let's just concentrate on the fact it will be bad government.

He went quiet for a while. Then he said, 'Yes, you're right.' And the reason he was unnerved is both because his job is in the firing line on this scenario, and because he genuinely cares about the poor and disabled and is fearful about the impact of further cuts on them.

Corbyn's supporters will blame the government. They should blame themselves. For while Cooper and Burnham could not have won an election, they would have kept the government from complacency, and that's a damn good second.

Labour have betrayed the people of this country - most of all those they claim to care about - in an act of pathetic, futile and disgusting self-indulgence by electing a man who is 'right on' message and completely, hopelessly, out of his depth. They deserve the opprobrium they will receive. What we need, and fast, is a replacement for them.

Good night, on this dark night for our democracy.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    'All the ingredients for Corbyn to lose are there'
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    A leader of the opposition that can't even work out his own questions, let alone answers, can't be heading for power.
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Have Hezbollah congratulated the Supreme Leader yet?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

malcolmg said:

And then you are told all fighting is pointless.

Imagine the next SNP leader tells you, "looking for independence is pointless".

How you going to feel?
    I would be disappointed but get on with my life.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    As counterfactual as usual for anti-historian ydoether. The Tories would really be complacent against the likes of burnham and cooper who represent at worst a very mild dilution of their policies and programme even in the unlikely scenario they won, so no threat whatsoever. Corbyn may be up against it but any kind of victory for him would be a devastating blow to everything they have tirelessly set in place for decades. They are much more likely to be on their toes because the stakes are so much higher. This is probably the best thing about it.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited September 2015
    JWisemann said:

As counterfactual as usual for anti-historian ydoether. The Tories would really be complacent against the likes of burnham and cooper who represent at worst a very mild dilution of their policies and programme even in the unlikely scenario they won, so no threat whatsoever. Corbyn may be up against it but any kind of victory for him would be a devastating blow to everything they have tirelessly set in place for decades. They are much more likely to be on their toes because the stakes are so much higher. This is probably the best thing about it.

I actually agree with you for once, Mr Wisemann. This is like politics without the safety net [of the other side not really being that bad, even if we can't admit that in public]
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    malcolmg said:

I would be disappointed but get on with my life.

Within the SNP?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,129
    Oh that David? Pah.
  • Options

Apparently being in the armed forces and defending your country is not an honourable profession..according to a Scot.. Gonna be a lot of Fine Scottish regiments disagree with that assumption..

You mean the one Scottish regiment.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,843
    A good anecdote from @ydoethur - the Leader of the Opposition needs to lead that opposition, lest the incumbent government become complacent.

Corbyn - if he can be bothered to turn up - wants others to tell him his questions to the PM.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Rory Bremner @rorybremner
    "Dear Jeremy. I'm afraid there's no shadow cabinet left. Good Luck. Liam Byrne"
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    How Corbyn's win is being reported in the US, Part 1: Time Magazine:

"Are Labour really going to do this? Are they really preparing for a Marxist Jonestown massacre? It appears they are. If nothing else, it will be interesting."
  • Options

Don't be silly.
    There are several battalions (7) in the Royal Regiment of Scotland which is much more a 'brigade' or 'division' than a regiment.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

A good anecdote from @ydoethur - the Leader of the Opposition needs to lead that opposition, lest the incumbent government become complacent.

Corbyn - if he can be bothered to turn up - wants others to tell him his questions to the PM.

You'll be suggesting next that Tory backbenchers ought to come up with their own questions to the PM.
  • Options
    I believe they call this a bitch fight. Between Owen Jones & Alastair Campbell (or rather Old Labour v New Labour)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COuffBNWEAAKjdI.jpg
  • Options
    The election of Jeremy Corbyn is astonishing and I find it highly unlikely that he will lead in the polls because the refugee migrant crisis will dominate the news over the next few years. Germany and others are having doubts even now about Merkels decision to allow nearly 1 million into Germany this year and Corbyn supporting the unlimited access to Europe and demanding the UK accepts more than the 20,000 already agreed will be a big vote loser.
  • Options
    :smiley:
    MTimT said:

How Corbyn's win is being reported in the US, Part 1: Time Magazine:

"Are Labour really going to do this? Are they really preparing for a Marxist Jonestown massacre? It appears they are. If nothing else, it will be interesting."

• Options

I believe they call this a bitch fight. Between Owen Jones & Alastair Campbell (or rather Old Labour v New Labour)

How many years since Old Labour last won an election? :D
  • Options

My comment on today...

We just thought Labour hated everyone else, we didn't realise they hated each other so much.

• Options
    SRentool.. The Tory backbenchers are not the Opposition
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

My comment on today...

We just thought Labour hated everyone else, we didn't realise they hated each other so much.

The best one line summary. Post of the day!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    The most unedifying spectacle on here today has to be the left wingers squirming around trying and failing to justify Corbyn not attending PMQs. I always base their answers, arrogance and particular hypocriscy on what they would have said and how they would have reacted if for example Cameron had done the same as LOTO. They were have torn hm to shreds without fail. They would have accused him of cowardice. Jeez one leftie on here even managed to blame Cameron for Corbyn not dong PMQS calling him a bully

WTF.? Labour andCorbyn.... You deserve each other. Let the hunting begin they don't call it the glorious twelfth for nothing.

• Options
    MTimT said:

JWisemann said:

I actually agree with you for once, Mr Wisemann. This is like politics without the safety net [of the other side not really being that bad, even if we can't admit that in public]
    You mean it would be a disaster if the country were to vote for this New Socialist Labour Party thingy? It certainly would. But seeing as how the last Business As Usual Labour Party's term of office ended in a massive disaster I am not quite as sanguine about this safety net idea as you are.

Fair doos to the rational people in the PLP who are not gong to serve in the Shadow cabinet. They at least maintain some sense of proportion.
    I find it both laughable and pathetic that Armstrong is willing to serve as chief whip. I think the chief whip gets a bit of an extra sub don't they? If so she should be taken to court because by Corbyn's professed example it must be the biggest non job in politics.
  • Options

SRentool.. The Tory backbenchers are not the Opposition

The idea that any LOTO comes up with all of their own questions is clearly nonsense. Better to get input from the rank and file rather than from a couple of PPE wonks.
  • Options

Don't be silly.
    There are several battalions (7) in the Royal Regiment of Scotland which is much more a 'brigade' or 'division' than a regiment.
    So that's the one regiment then.

• Options

Don't be silly.
    No - 7
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Manned by lots of Fijian's, Saffers, and sundry commonwealth troops because Scotland can't provide enough young men who are fit enough to fill its ranks.
  • Options
    From Mary Poppins (with apologies to Walt Disney)

Super-catastrophic-Corbyn-is-atrocious
    Even though the sound of it is just a bad prognosis
    If you say it loud enough, you'll always have neurosis

Um diddle, diddle .... three quidders said aye
    Um diddle, diddle .....three quidders said aye

Corby's not afraid to speak
    Fruit loop points and bad
    Labour had just a week
    To see that Jerry is mad

But Hattie used the word
    That allowed them to oppose
    The biggest word they had ever heard
    And this is how it goes,

ohhh..........

Even though the sound of it has a bad prognosis

Um diddle, diddle .... three quidders say aye
    Um diddle, diddle .....three quidders say aye

He supported all around and banned
    And everywhere He went
    He'd use his word and all would say
    Labour can never repent

Welcomed in the house they
    Pass the day with tea
    He'd say his special word to them
    And then they sing with glee

Ohhh.......

Um diddle, diddle ..... three quidders say aye
    Um diddle, diddle ......three quidders say aye

.....you can say it backwards you know? a it becomes "atrocious-is-Corbyn-catastrophic-super
    But that's going just a bit too far left don't you think?

Ohhhh........

When Tom and Jerry have your tongue
    There's no need for dismay
    Just summon up this special word
    And then there's lots to say

But better use it carefully
    Or Jerry will change your life

For example, Khan said the word just before nominations closed at midday
    Yet....now he won't vote for him at all .....or so he now does say..... !

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. ALL TOGETHER NOW !!!!!

(Wait for it ....wait for it......)

Super-catastrophic-Labour- are - atrocious
    Super-catastrophic-Labour- are-atrocious

Repeat as Labour fade into history.........
  • Options
    RobD said:

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/642785117795168256
  • Options
    edited September 2015

RobD said:

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/642785117795168256
    I enjoyed the axis labels. I assume the official registration would be "New Labour (War Criminal) Party"
  • Options

belly laugh :lol:
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited September 2015

Don't be silly.
    No - 7
    'The Royal Regiment of Scotland is the senior and only Scottish line infantry regiment'

I'd say don't be a fecking moron if I didn't know that battle was long lost.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Sandpit said:

You'll be suggesting next that Tory backbenchers ought to come up with their own questions to the PM.
    A fair point. Some of the planted-by-the-whips questions are a little silly, much better for the backbenchers to raise a genuine issue than make a petty party-political point. All parties guilty of this over the years.

Doesn't absolve the LotO from turning up with his own six of the best though.
  • Options
    Sandy RENTOOL .. that was not what we were discussing.. you referred to Tory BBs not writing their own questions now you have turned it onto the LOTO not writing his own questions..Corbyn is asking the population at large to write his own questions.. the man is a plank
  • Options

A suggestion for Corbyn's first question at PMQs:

So, Dave, did you vote for me?

• Options
    Mr. Moses, an unkind man might infer that you're not necessarily taken by Comrade Corbyn.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Labour had just a week
    To see that Jerry is mad

But Hattie used the word
    And this is how it goes,

ohhh..........

And everywhere He went
    Labour can never repent

Pass the day with tea

Ohhh.......

.....you can say it backwards you know? a it becomes "atrocious-is-Corbyn-catastrophic-super

Ohhhh........

Don't give up the day-job! :lol:
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206

MTimT said:

JWisemann said:

Fair doos to the rational people in the PLP who are not gong to serve in the Shadow cabinet. They at least maintain some sense of proportion.
    I find it both laughable and pathetic that Armstrong is willing to serve as chief whip. I think the chief whip gets a bit of an extra sub don't they? If so she should be taken to court because by Corbyn's professed example it must be the biggest non job in politics.

Armstrong chief whip? Not Hilary Armstrong who was responsible for the most God-awful cock-up when Blair was told a vote was safe and so didn't turn up for a vote Labour lost by one vote? And she is going to be responsible?

I didn't believe this day could get any more surreal but it has, if this is true.
  • Options
    Mr. Hopkins, "No, you may have the support of Sinn Fein, Hamas and the Argentine President, but I'm afraid I didn't back you."

.... *sighs*
  • Options

Don't be silly.
    No - 7
    'The Royal Regiment of Scotland is the senior and only Scottish line infantry regiment'

Yeah but how many Scottish Regiments did it take to lose that battle?

(Before any of your countrymen get upset, I know the Scots don't lose battles, that's why they've been the backbone of the British army for centuries)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

A fair point. Some of the planted-by-the-whips questions are a little silly, much better for the backbenchers to raise a genuine issue than make a petty party-political point. All parties guilty of this over the years.
    If any government back bencher begins a question with 'Does my Right Honourable Friend agree...' the Speaker should just tell them to shut up and sit down.
  • Options
    Mr RENTOOL the Speaker does not have that authority...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/642785117795168256
    I enjoyed the axis labels. I assume the official registration would be "New Labour (War Criminal) Party"
    I'm using a similar chart tomorrow afternoon.

Number of general elections won in recent times by

1) A Social liberal One Nation, not obsessed about Europe Tory

2) Tory leaders/Party that wouldn't stop obsessing about the Europe
  • Options

Mr RENTOOL the Speaker does not have that authority...

Actually he does.
  • Options

Don't be silly.
    No - 7

There's the Scots Guards, although not a line regiment.
  • Options

Mr. Moses, an unkind man might infer that you're not necessarily taken by Comrade Corbyn.

You can put me down as a maybe.. :-)
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    As the weatherman predicted, a cold front came through today - a high of less than 80. So wearing jackets (honest!) we went down to East Lake to pick up our uniforms for the Tour Championship.

As it wasn't too hot we went on to Oakland Cemetery afterwards. Saw the grave of Margaret Mitchell, the Jewish cemetery, the slave cemetery, and the Confederate cemetery with it's 3900 grave stones. There are also 3000 unmarked confederate graves around the 'Atlanta Lion'. It's a fascinating look back at Atlanta history, and is still in use today. The grave of the engineer of 'The General' is also there.

But my favorite stop is always the grave of Robert Tyre Jones Jr. There is a golf hole just to the right of the grave stone so you can putt into it. As we walked up we looked at each other and said in the same instant "golf balls!". We'd both forgotten to bring a golf ball to leave on the grave.

My best discovery of the day is that in April they have a "Run like Hell:Pushing up the daisies 5k" - a run through the cemetery.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

If any government back bencher begins a question with 'Does my Right Honourable Friend agree...' the Speaker should just tell them to shut up and sit down.
    How's about "Would my Right Honourable Friend wish to disassociate himself from the remarks made by the Leader of the Opposition in support of the terrorists that wish to destroy our country?"
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2015
    This picture made me choke on a chocolate digestive:

https://twitter.com/falklands_utd/status/642722837065826308
  • Options

@NeilGarratt
    Corbyn's been congratulated by Gerry Adams, the Argentine President & Hamas…but half the shadow cabinet has resigned. So it's a mixed result
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, 'twas a fine cover version :)

I can reveal that no information regarding the enormo-haddock, octo-lemur, MD StarGun, solar death ray, or trebuchets will be granted to Corbyn.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Moses_ said:

Labour had just a week
    To see that Jerry is mad

But Hattie used the word
    And this is how it goes,

ohhh..........

And everywhere He went
    Labour can never repent

Pass the day with tea

Ohhh.......

Ohhhh........

A for effort but you are two syllables short on the first line...
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    ydoethur said:

Anecdote to finish. A friend of mine, who works in the public sector, rang up this morning very pleased with the news Corbyn had won, although he was laughing at the silliness of the idea of this stupid old man trying to run a major party.

I then explained to him what this means. It is an untrammelled licence to Cameron and Osborne to do what they like. Expect benefit cuts, tax cuts, and an all-out war on the Equalities Act. Expect further that they will drive through more radical reform of the public sector - the NHS, schools and universities - and their funding models. Also expect major cuts in staffing.

Now, some of these may be good things, on their own. But will they be done well? No. Because there is no reason to be careful, or scrupulous, or to think through the consequences, when Britain is a one-party state. Even though I do not credit Cameron and Osborne with the malice imputed to them by Labour, there is no doubt that they are prone to arrogance and also very prone to error. So these things, taken together, will be a shambles - possibly an expensive one too, but let's just concentrate on the fact it will be bad government.

He went quiet for a while. Then he said, 'Yes, you're right.' And the reason he was unnerved is both because his job is in the firing line on this scenario, and because he genuinely cares about the poor and disabled and is fearful about the impact of further cuts on them.

Corbyn's supporters will blame the government. They should blame themselves. For while Cooper and Burnham could not have won an election, they would have kept the government from complacency, and that's a damn good second.

Labour have betrayed the people of this country - most of all those they claim to care about - in an act of pathetic, futile and disgusting self-indulgence by electing a man who is 'right on' message and completely, hopelessly, out of his depth. They deserve the opprobrium they will receive. What we need, and fast, is a replacement for them.

Good night, on this dark night for our democracy.

Can't agree with you that the Corbyn win will result in bad government. The Tories will want to win in 2020 based on a perception of their competence.

• Options

One difference is that the turnout in the LD Leadership election was only 56% (33,897). Which does not indicate that they have a lot of engaged people in their party. A much lower turnout than Labour's membership I believe.
    Why would you pay to vote and then not vote?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

25 quid to join, I did today.
    https://www.conservatives.com/join

what a waste of £25, better throwing it in the bin.
    I don't understand why someone would shop around for a party to join as I've heard a couple of people seeming to describe themselves doing on here lately. None of them sufficiently match my views for me to want to join (or are as so small as to be a waste of time because they have no local presence). In fact, I haven't been the member of any group or club for quite some time, or at least I hadn't until a couple of minutes ago when I joined CAMRA for £16.50 (full time student rate). Will more than make that back in beer discounts and reduced entry to festivals in the next year so a fairly safe investment!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Which of the Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse has still to endorse Corbyn?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited September 2015
    Dr. Spyn, not sure. Two have reportedly resigned.

Edited extra bit: that'll teach me to pay attention :pensive:

Trying to write some horror. Think it must be like writing porn. It's either not that good, or so good it's difficult to keep going.

Small plug - written an unrelated horror short story as part of the below anthology, the proceeds of which entirely go to animal charity (the WWF):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prey-Seven-Tales-Beastly-Terror-ebook/dp/B00N37ZAPM/
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Dr. Spyn, not sure. Two have reportedly resigned.

Splitters
  • Options
    Dr. Spyn, you can see why War won't endorse Corbyn :p
  • Options

Mr. Moses, 'twas a fine cover version :)

I can reveal that no information regarding the enormo-haddock, octo-lemur, MD StarGun, solar death ray, or trebuchets will be granted to Corbyn.

I shall rest easy tonight Though I am still a tad concerned about TSEs Death Star