Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first polling verdict is in

Comments

• AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

I have no easy answers, because there are none.

In all likelihood, every case is a deserving case, in one way or another. Sooner or later, someone is going to have to say things that will sound (and be) lacking in compassion for the would-be entrants, because to allow them in will be lacking in compassion for those who are already here.

It is perfectly true that the poorest of the people already here are vastly wealthy compared to the destitute in other lands. But it is the poorest of the people here already who will suffer first & suffer most as more & more poor people from abroad are added to their number.

For example, when food/clothing collections were organised here, many people donated. But only a few weeks previously, when a similar appeal was made for local homeless people, very little was forthcoming.

So there was all this stuff stacked up waiting to go to Calais when people literally on our doorstep were in urgent need of it.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,928
    edited September 2015
    AndyJS said:

After Michael Foot was elected leader in 1980, Labour registered leads of between 9% and 24% within a few weeks.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-1979-1983

At a time when unemployment was rocketing, the economy was in recession and the Tories were led by Thatcher, a far more rightwing leader than Cameron. Unlike 1980 the economy is now growing. By February 1982 those stats show the Tories were already back in the lead, 2 months before Argentina invaded the Falklands. IDS is a better comparison for Labour than Foot
  • glw said:

kle4 said:

Once again I feel obliged to point out that even people who think Corbyn will be a disaster have said they thinkhe will lead in the polls at some point. Therefore, while they might be indulging in hubris, very early polls 'not being as bad they could be' does not prove them wrong or that they must be disappointed.

It took a long time for Ed Miliband's uselessness to be recognised by the wider public, but PB Tories were right about him from the very start. I see no reason to think Corbyn will not follow a similar trajectory.
    Remember that EdM became MORE crap the longer he was Labour leader.

His high point was showing some guts and initative in beating his brother.

He then morphed into the worst parts of his brother - the cowardice and complacency.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,752

SeanT said:

Vicious from the BBC Ten. Snide, clever, brutal.

Gerry Adams filmed: "he's a friend of Ireland".

Loyalists killed lots of innocents too - they even outkilled the Provos in 1993 and 94.
    Did Jezza (or indeed any other politician of note) share a platform with the Loyalist killers and call them friends?
    No, but HMG colluded with them at certain levels.
    BOLLOCKS. They did no such thing.
    One example - almost exactly 40 years ago, the Miami Showband were murdered at a fake checkpoint manned by Loyalists, some of whom happened to be serving British Soldiers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Showband_killings
    stupid example. The muderers were tried and sent to jail.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Can't wait for the London mayoral election. My prediction: Goldsmith 55%, Khan 45%.

That's a significantly bigger margin than those of Boris.

Now considering demographic trends if Labour loses by 10% in London it will be annhilalted elsewhere and suffer enormous loses in wwcland.

In Yorkshire there would be pit villages going Conservative or UKIP.

Which would be ironic after Watson's speech today.
    I was a bit surprised by the polling showing black voters less likely to vote Labour with Khan as candidate but if that happens you could get a 55/45 result like I forecast.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    glw said:

kle4 said:

Once again I feel obliged to point out that even people who think Corbyn will be a disaster have said they thinkhe will lead in the polls at some point. Therefore, while they might be indulging in hubris, very early polls 'not being as bad they could be' does not prove them wrong or that they must be disappointed.

It took a long time for Ed Miliband's uselessness to be recognised by the wider public, but PB Tories were right about him from the very start. I see no reason to think Corbyn will not follow a similar trajectory.
    And in many ways Ed did improve enormously. He had some good runs. His public speaking became much much better, his early attempts to master NLP was bad as to be laughable. Like watching a learner driver trying to change gears but not knowing how to use the clutch properly.

I did notice that Jezza has been getting some serious toastmaster speech training. You can see his use of techniques. The content was drivel, just the left wing version of "we'll fight them on the beaches" designed to motivate the morons, but he delivered it surprisingly well. I dont think I've seen him speak that well in public.

Tom Watson though was just a tub of lard. 0/10 for grace, 0/10 for content.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    How is Corbyn going to persuade the public that he is a moderate, reasonable politician when after three months of campaigning he can't even persuade his own Labour parliamentary colleagues?
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

SeanT said:

Loyalists killed lots of innocents too - they even outkilled the Provos in 1993 and 94.
    Did Jezza (or indeed any other politician of note) share a platform with the Loyalist killers and call them friends?
    Our loyal Armed forces and the RUC did. In fact, in some cases, the RUS and Loyalists were interchangeable.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015

SeanT said:

They also colluded with the IRA at certain levels.
    None of which seems germane to the discussion anyway. I still don't understand what point you were attempting to make Sunil? Corbyn and McDonnell are closely associated at a personal level with supporters of Physical Force Republicanism, in a way that mainstream politicans (in Labour, Tories, LibDems, SNP...) simply aren't with either Republicans or their Loyalist equivalents. Both Labour and the Tories would be prepared to court the NI Unionists as part of a Rainbow/Unionist coalition, if electorally required. But Paisley and Robinson and Trimble and Nesbitt are neither now nor historically tied to the various Loyalist paramilitary groups.

(I'll grant you that some pretty grubby details could come out at some point should details of UK government involvement with paramilitaries be declassified, but what does that have to do with the price of fish? And more particularly, public reaction to the price of fish?)
  • SeanT said:

One example - almost exactly 40 years ago, the Miami Showband were murdered at a fake checkpoint manned by Loyalists, some of whom happened to be serving British Soldiers...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenanne_gang
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    William_H said:

The first and second questions are meaningless, it's just asking people to prognosticate about something they know little. And where the even the experts don't have a clue.

The third is pretty meaningless. That form of question always picks up a bunch of committed partisans saying they're less likely to vote for someone they were never going to vote for (or vice verse). With high "No Difference", it suggests the british public don't care, yet.

The last is bad - more for the low "yes" than the "no". But it's not terrible either. Corbyn needs to win people over.

You do know what an opinion poll is?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Voted for Cooper, got Corbyn. Oh well.

Silver lining, those on the centre left can not afford to be dull, wet and wooly any more.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited September 2015

'Loyalists' is the giveaway, Sunil. They may not have done nice things, but they do associate with being British.

Corbyn stinks to high heaven among Mr and Mrs Ordinary.

My other half and her daughter expressed incredulation that Corbyn had won - they were lifelong Labour voters until 2010. Lifelong, 2015 Labour voter friends (Ilford North voters) have already drawn the line at Corbyn

My extended in laws, Labour voters since Jesus was a twinkle in his mother's eye, think Corbyn is a Tory stitch up.

Add a Muslim Mayor on offer as well?

Labour have taken every wrong turn possible.

• saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

AndyJS said:

After Michael Foot was elected leader in 1980, Labour registered leads of between 9% and 24% within a few weeks.

Yes, we should use events from 35 years ago as a meaningful benchmark in today's completely identical world, because that wouldn't be insane, clearly.
    So why is Jez, trying to solve today's issues with solutions from thirty five years ago?
    Why are the Tories trying to solve today's issues with solutions from 135 years ago?
    Pathetic even by your own low standards. When your stuck for a sensible answer, it's better just to shut up, rather than look as much of a fool as you just have.
    SeanT said:

This is , of course, the left biased BBC we are talking about.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    JEO said:

How is Corbyn going to persuade the public that he is a moderate, reasonable politician when after three months of campaigning he can't even persuade his own Labour parliamentary colleagues?

I imagine he'll fine enough of the parliamentary colleagues who will tell us he is moderate and reasonable. Unity and loyalty after all.
  • SeanT said:

Your miserable feking point being? I remember watching the News the day when the British Army came out of barracks in NI - to protect the Catholics. Despite what you would like to pretend in another post the Govt and the tory party did not collude in or support or encourage Loyalist murderers. There is not a sheet of paper long enough to list the terrorists Corbyn has apologised for.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

For any PBers too young to know but curious as to what the 1970s was really like after the Corbyn / Watson nostalgiafest may I suggest you watch the new BBC comedy 'Cradle to Grave'.

And then add in strikes, power cuts and general crapness.

What do you do if your nose goes on strike ?

Picket / pick it.

Coming in 2020 if Labour gets its way.

As I recall the joke was:

'If the Tories get up your nose, picket!'
  • saddened said:

saddened said:

SeanT said:

What's your point? That you've identified a group of terrorist scumbags Jez, doesn't count as friends?
    People on the Loyalist side killed people as well, wasn't just the IRA, my dear.
    And? Corbyns problem is that he openly associates with IRA members. The fact that he can't bring himself to speak to murdering scrum from the opposite side hardly improves his image.
    The first RUC man (ie. police) to be killed in the Troubles, Victor Arbuckle, was shot dead by Loyalists on 11/10/69, who were, irony of ironies, protesting against the planned disarming of the RUC.
    AndyJS said:

Can't wait for the London mayoral election. My prediction: Goldsmith 55%, Khan 45%.

We need to record this one ! Also, Goldsmith will get 75% of the votes in Kingston !

Who cares? Corbyn = 59.5% :)

3% more than the Warmonger himself !
  • AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Now considering demographic trends if Labour loses by 10% in London it will be annhilalted elsewhere and suffer enormous loses in wwcland.

I was a bit surprised by the polling showing black voters less likely to vote Labour with Khan as candidate but if that happens you could get a 55/45 result like I forecast.
    Perhaps an equivalent of New York - where many Hispanics wont vote for an Afro-American and many Afro-Americans wont vote for a Hispanic.

Tribal politics.

Certainly there will be some Black Christian Londoners who wont vote for a Muslim.

Ditto Jews / Hindus / Sikhs.

'Celebrate the mosaic'.

SeanT said:

You rather miss the point they went to jail.

Unlike Mr Stakekife
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

They appear very upset about the Blairite, purges don't they?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,549
    JEO said:

Well exactly, has any party leader ever started off with as little parliamentary support? Most of Corbyn's fellow Labour MPs must think he's a crank, and are likely to be bitterly regretting his nomination..
  • SeanT said:

Unlike Mr Stakekife
    Did I mention Pat Finucane?
    edited September 2015
    JWisemann said:

How is less people than voted Tory in the last election saying they think Corbyn is unfit to be PM a big thing when we've been told he will simultaneously enforce mandatory feminism, state-sponsored gayness and sharia law and put armed forces funding into scientific research to resurrect the prophet Muhammad and Saddam Hussein.

I hadn't heard that. That's truly frightening - sharia law and enforced feminism - that's revolutionary

I love my Mum!

She thinks the Shadow Cabinet flouncers should join the Tory Party - "that's where they belong!"

:lol:

Some are looking for lucrative Directorships. They will be disappointed. Even the *ankers won't take them.
  • What odds of Prescott or some other dinosaurs having to be dragged out of the woodwork in order to fill up places in the Shadow Cabinet? Two Jags seems to have been on TV much more often than usual during this campaign, or maybe he only appeared once and it's just me having a recurring nightmare.
  • AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Perhaps an equivalent of New York - where many Hispanics wont vote for an Afro-American and many Afro-Americans wont vote for a Hispanic.

Tribal politics.

Certainly there will be some Black Christian Londoners who wont vote for a Muslim.

'Celebrate the mosaic'.
    Yes, you have special powers of being able to read all of our BME minds!
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    Bloody hell- the BBC pre MoD news- not very pretty for Jezza on his first day. I cannot think of any other occasion when the BEEB have gone after a party leader in quite such a vicious way.

If I was a conspiracy, paranoid theorist I would suspect that the higher management of the BEEB have a political agenda........

SeanT said:

Unlike Mr Stakekife
    Did I mention Pat Finucane?
    I now understand where Idi Amin was coming from.
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Silver lining, those on the centre left can not afford to be dull, wet and wooly any more.

What's your opinion on Corbyn? Will you loyally follow and support him?
    Anyone that supports Labour under Corbyn is supporting a party that endorses sharing a platform with Islamists and handing over British territory over the heads of the British people that live there. I have been told by many over the years that it is a right wing myth that Labour dislikes Britain, but they are clearly prepared to elect an anti-British ideologue as leader.
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Agreed - amazingly. I'm surprised how nasty the BBC has been about Corbyn.

I guess it is a combo of their being afraid of the Tories, and many of them being sincerely Blairite centre-lefties who despise Corbynism. e.g. I cannot imagine Danny Cohen, the head of the BBC, or his wife Noreena Hertz, is hugely delighted by Corbyn's ascent.
    Any message there ?
  • surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

We need to record this one ! Also, Goldsmith will get 75% of the votes in Kingston !
    There will I guess be two London by elections on the same day in due course. Presumably these will be used by both sides to set the scene for the Mayoral election.
  • saddened said:

saddened said:

SeanT said:

What's your point? That you've identified a group of terrorist scumbags Jez, doesn't count as friends?
    People on the Loyalist side killed people as well, wasn't just the IRA, my dear.
    And? Corbyns problem is that he openly associates with IRA members. The fact that he can't bring himself to speak to murdering scrum from the opposite side hardly improves his image.
    The first RUC man (ie. police) to be killed in the Troubles, Victor Arbuckle, was shot dead by Loyalists on 11/10/69, who were, irony of ironies, protesting against the planned disarming of the RUC.
    In what way is this going to make Corbyn any more palatable to the British people?

I think most Brits will deny there was collusion, either because they are unaware of the allegations (about Nairac or Stakeknife or whoever) or because they don't believe them.

When John McDonnell praised the "bravery and sacrifice" of the IRA ("It's about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA.") Labour did their best to shut him up because they knew it was bad news electorally. When Jeremy Corbyn has such close personal ties to the leadership of Sinn Fein, it is hardly going to make him more popular.

If he tried to justify it by getting into a tit-for-tat argument about who did what and who knew about it, decades ago, it would just be digging a deeper hole for himself.
    JWisemann said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, we should use events from 35 years ago as a meaningful benchmark in today's completely identical world, because that wouldn't be insane, clearly.
    I feel inclined to accept what you say since you are clearly an expert on insanity
    saddened said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Yup. Don't forget the flag-bearer received 4.5% of the votes !
  • Panelbase/Sunday Times Scotland -poll Yes 47 (nc) No 53 (nc) Changes since July

Poll finds 55% of voters as a whole do not want another referendum in the next 5 years while 36% do and nine 9% DK

Poll finds 45% of Scots think they will financially worse off under independence. 36% say they will be better off

Poll finds electing 56 SNP MPs. 59% say this makes indepdence more likely. 29% No Diff. 3% Less likely 9% unsure

Poll finds on Const VI SNP 52 Labour 23% Con 14% LD 6%, Greens 3% Ukip 2%.

Poll finds on List VI SNP 48% Lab 22% Cons 15%, Greens 6% LDs 6% and Ukip on 3%

Poll finds 67% viewing Independence as likely within 5 to 30 years 22% think it unlikely in the next few decades. 1/2

2/2 31% say independence is likely in the next 5 to 10 years 24% believe it will happen in 10-15 years 12% expect it but not for 20-30 years
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,928
    Tim_B said:

Before his interview with Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show last night, Donald Trump interviews his reflection in the mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2DgwPG7mAA

Brilliant from Fallon!

Panelbase/Sunday Times Scotland -poll Yes 47 (nc) No 53 (nc) Changes since July

Poll finds 55% of voters as a whole do not want another referendum in the next 5 years while 36% do and nine 9% DK

Poll finds 45% of Scots think they will financially worse off under independence. 36% say they will be better off

Poll finds electing 56 SNP MPs. 59% say this makes indepdence more likely. 29% No Diff. 3% Less likely 9% unsure

Poll finds 67% viewing Independence as likely within 5 to 30 years 22% think it unlikely in the next few decades. 1/2

2/2 31% say independence is likely in the next 5 to 10 years 24% believe it will happen in 10-15 years 12% expect it but not for 20-30 years

LOL, sell turnips.
    saddened said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

They aren't stupid, they must be thinking that Corbyn will lead to more years of Tory government, which will lead to more cuts to the BBC, and they are probably correct.
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Not a fan thus far, but will watch closely this Autumn. WRT loyalty he can expect the same loyalty he has shown to others.
    surbiton said:

saddened said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Yup. Don't forget the flag-bearer received 4.5% of the votes !
    Exactly. It is very clear those who support capitalism or public sector reform have no place in the Labour Party.

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Tribal politics.

'Celebrate the mosaic'.
    Unless, of course, his name was Sajid Javed !
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

There will I guess be two London by elections on the same day in due course. Presumably these will be used by both sides to set the scene for the Mayoral election.
    By-election will only happen after the Mayoralty vote.
    alex. said:

JWisemann said:

I wish the PB Tories could be honest and admit these are quite disappointing results for them, given the media storm and the fact that Corbyn hasn't even begun to show that he is actually completely reasonable and moderate as leader, which he will.

Corbinite delusion
    But Corbyn has energised the population and placed himself at the head of a national movement that is going to sweep away all before it.
    An evidential statement of the extent of that delusion
    Jonathan said:

I voted 1. Cooper. 2. Burnham [ reluctantly ]. Did not vote 3 or 4.

DL: 1. Watson

MoL 1. Khan
  • saddened said:

saddened said:

SeanT said:

Are you totally stupid? So what? We know that there were Loyalist paramilitaries and we do not praise them. We know both sides paramilitaries themselves colluded with each other in their smuggling and protection rackets and their other common criminal activities.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Not a fan thus far, but will watch closely this Autumn. WRT loyalty he can expect the same loyalty he has shown to others.
    He's made a bit of a rod for his own back over the loyalty issue, hasn't he?

I'm not surprised he wants to devolve a lot of decision-making to the grassroots: that way people would be rebelling against the Labour membership (naughty, naughty MPs, especially if you need to win selection among the new constituencies) as opposed to rebelling against the former arch-rebel himself (something they may feel no compunction against).
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Tribal politics.

'Celebrate the mosaic'.
    Unless, of course, his name was Sajid Javed !
    Sajid Javid is not a Muslim.
    alex. said:

notme said:

AndyJS said:

The rerating of labour support, as a consequence of getting it wrong in May will make any leads Corbyn have, look very paltry. But yes I expect Corbyn to have overall majority type leads for the bulk of this parliament. in November 2019 support will fall away and in 2020 Labour will get somewhere between 28% and 32% of the vote.

I also expect a few local government successes. The Cons will be hoping to maybe squeeze a few gains in May, but following that we will see an attrition of councillors.

The Government is going to get a lot of grief following the autumn spending review.
    I don't see any real reason to think he will have overall majority type leads. Why should he?
    It's the way of things, except it seems to Blair who seemed to be immune to many of the rules of politics. It wasnt until Cameron became leader of the Cons that they managed to get in positive figures over Labour.

We will see a cross over at some point and sustained leads after that.

Next May we have some massive tests to his position though:
    Scottish Parliament
    Police and Crime Commissioners
    Mayor of London
    Local Elections.

He could have done with these happening in 2017, he will get the natural opposition bounce that happens at a local level. Scottish Parliament will be a blood bath. Labour will be expecting to take the mayorality in London, to not get it will be a nail in Jezza's coffin.
  • Oh dear

@ianbirrell: Workers who made 'Team Corbyn' T-shirts earned just 49p an hour
    http://dailym.ai/1Nw7iGc

Poor result for Out.

I do wonder what the dynamic would be if, perhaps, Galloway rejoined Labour and was let loose in Scotland by Corbyn - not that Corbyn seems to care about leading on anything.
    kle4 said:

alex. said:

JWisemann said:

I wish the PB Tories could be honest and admit these are quite disappointing results for them, given the media storm and the fact that Corbyn hasn't even begun to show that he is actually completely reasonable and moderate as leader, which he will.

Corbinite delusion
    But Corbyn has energised the population and placed himself at the head of a national movement that is going to sweep away all before it.
    JC is the the way the truth and the life.
    hallelujah, hallelujah, hosannah, hosannah
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    AnneJGP said:

I have no easy answers, because there are none.

In all likelihood, every case is a deserving case, in one way or another. Sooner or later, someone is going to have to say things that will sound (and be) lacking in compassion for the would-be entrants, because to allow them in will be lacking in compassion for those who are already here.

It is perfectly true that the poorest of the people already here are vastly wealthy compared to the destitute in other lands. But it is the poorest of the people here already who will suffer first & suffer most as more & more poor people from abroad are added to their number.

For example, when food/clothing collections were organised here, many people donated. But only a few weeks previously, when a similar appeal was made for local homeless people, very little was forthcoming.

So there was all this stuff stacked up waiting to go to Calais when people literally on our doorstep were in urgent need of it.
    It is an imperfect world, and not how I would like it. I do what I can.

Petsonally I would make any asylum seekers status contingent on them agreeing to abide by a list of British values (the rule of law, non-violent resolution of political disputes, equality of races, sexes and LBGT people, freedom of speech and expression, freedom of religion and apostasy etc). If they refuse the terms then their asylum claim is discarded. Having been granted status then this should be automatically reviewed if they cease to respect the terms and deportation to follow.

I welcome real refugees provided they do not bring their feuds with them. If they want that then they would be better suited to a different country.
  • AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Tribal politics.

'Celebrate the mosaic'.
    So you think you speak for all BME votes do you ?

Though you clearly have reading inabilities when it comes to the word 'some'.

Making yourself look silly TWICE on the same thread is rather unbecoming to you Sunil.
    JEO said:

Exactly. It is very clear those who support capitalism or public sector reform have no place in the Labour Party.

Yeah I don't think there will be much speculation about endorsements come the next general election.
  • SeanT said:

Your miserable feking point being? I remember watching the News the day when the British Army came out of barracks in NI - to protect the Catholics. Despite what you would like to pretend in another post the Govt and the tory party did not collude in or support or encourage Loyalist murderers. There is not a sheet of paper long enough to list the terrorists Corbyn has apologised for.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenanne_Gang
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Research_Unit
  • JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    tyson said:

Bloody hell- the BBC pre MoD news- not very pretty for Jezza on his first day. I cannot think of any other occasion when the BEEB have gone after a party leader in quite such a vicious way.

If I was a conspiracy, paranoid theorist I would suspect that the higher management of the BEEB have a political agenda........

Surely not. Just a coincidence that their current affairs department has been a revolving door for Tories and Blairites.
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I guess it is a combo of their being afraid of the Tories, and many of them being sincerely Blairite centre-lefties who despise Corbynism. e.g. I cannot imagine Danny Cohen, the head of the BBC, or his wife Noreena Hertz, is hugely delighted by Corbyn's ascent.
    I certainly donot have the dislike of the BBC many here do, but I recall an article theorising that while they are slanted left, what the BBC is above all is Establishment, so Corbyn pitching as anti that may override any leftness.
    SeanT said:

Sturgeon surely knows this. A 2nd referendum in the next few years would be lost, killing the dream and destroying her party. But how does she manage the expectations of her mad new members?

She should have a head-to-head with some of the Labour nobs, they have common problems.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

saddened said:

SeanT said:

Sunil, old chap, you have been plugging these one liners about the "loyalist" terrorists for a couple of days now. It seems to me that you wish to make a point but nobody is biting. So why not just come out and say what you want to say?
  • saddened said:

saddened said:

SeanT said:

Are you totally stupid? So what? We know that there were Loyalist paramilitaries and we do not praise them. We know both sides paramilitaries themselves colluded with each other in their smuggling and protection rackets and their other common criminal activities.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_Research_Unit
  • JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082
    They are just establishment through and through - socially a little liberal, economically firmly neoliberal, the status quo gets their collective genitals frothing. Anything out of the London upper middle class dinner party consensus deserves comic derision.
  • kle4 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I certainly donot have the dislike of the BBC many here do, but I recall an article theorising that while they are slanted left, what the BBC is above all is Establishment, so Corbyn pitching as anti that may override any leftness.
    That's about it.

surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Why ? Only one can win. Rich Boy may resign earlier if the government does a U-turn on Heathrow, which it will.

Let's see if he does keep his word.
  • flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited September 2015

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

He's made a bit of a rod for his own back over the loyalty issue, hasn't he?

I'm not surprised he wants to devolve a lot of decision-making to the grassroots: that way people would be rebelling against the Labour membership (naughty, naughty MPs, especially if you need to win selection among the new constituencies) as opposed to rebelling against the former arch-rebel himself (something they may feel no compunction against).
    'C'est magnifique, mais n'est pas l'aptitude'
  • AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Tribal politics.

'Celebrate the mosaic'.
    So you think you speak for all BME votes do you ?

Though you clearly have reading inabilities when it comes to the word 'some'.

Making yourself look silly TWICE on the same thread is rather unbecoming to you Sunil.
    Ridicule is nothing to be scared of, my dear!
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Chris Bryant proves he's a total dick,

Is, was, always shall be, world without end AMEN./ Bryant will understand the reference.
    You massacring the Gloria Patri?
  • JEO said:

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

Anyone that supports Labour under Corbyn is supporting a party that endorses sharing a platform with Islamists and handing over British territory over the heads of the British people that live there. I have been told by many over the years that it is a right wing myth that Labour dislikes Britain, but they are clearly prepared to elect an anti-British ideologue as leader.
    The story Cameron and Osborne are going to paint to the country (remorselessly and with ruthless, repetitive use of messaging opportunities) is that people voting for Labour are voting for a party with all those negatives. I think they may be successful in doing so.

But.

I don't think the Labour membership as a whole (though I might be wrong) support handing over the Falklands/Gibraltar/NI. I don't think they feel the same sympathy for the IRA (though the younger cohorts of voters may not see what all the fuss was about, it all having washed into the Peace Process as far as they're concerned) and their sympathy with militant islamists is almost certainly restricted to foreign policy and civil rights issues, rather than social policy.

And Corbyn in charge of the party is not likely to be pressing a hard-left agenda. It sounds like he has put his personal feelings about abolition of the monarchy on the back-burner. I imagine a lot of his other baggage will join it there - not that that will stop the Tories attacking him over it.
  • In case you missed it Part I

I love Jezbollah. Rumours say he is bringing back Lady Nugee* as Shadow Justice Secretary

*That's Emily Thornberry to you fecking plebs.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    SeanT said:

Matches my suspicions. Indy is an *aspiration* for Scots. Ideally, they'd like it, but in reality, aaaah, not quite now. No. Maybe in the 2020s. Aye.

Sturgeon surely knows this. A 2nd referendum in the next few years would be lost, killing the dream and destroying her party. But how does she manage the expectations of her mad new members?
    She could start by getting independence for Rockall, give it a few years to see how it goes, then Orkney, then Shetland, then proceed to the mainland, hoping the oil price has recovered by then.
  • In case you missed it Part II

Sunday Times:

A POLICE investigation into claims of murder by a VIP paedophile ring has been halted after detectives could find no evidence to support the allegations.

Officers from the Suffolk force became so worried by the behaviour of the “witness” who made the claims — known only as Darren — that they have referred his son to social services.

Darren has now said that he will no longer co-operate with the police. He had previously given lurid accounts of two incidents in which he claimed people died at the hands of a paedophile gang that included a senior Conservative politician.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,310
    HopiSen said:

Is NickP around tonight ?

Yes, hi. Just back from a party branch meeting - apparently 6000 further people joined the party (nationally) this afternoon. Local membership is up to 8% of the electorate, but this is home territory for Jeremy.

Various people at the meeting who have been going around with Vote Corbyn stickers reported a fair amount of interest (some enthusiasm, some just curiosity) from people on buses and tubes.

On topic: I agree very strongly with this comment. Polls at this stage are not only pretty meaningless, but these specific questions are particularly naff.

What they do suffice to show, is that the "Corbynmania" - this energising flood of euphoria that so many grassroots lefties have reported a surging tide of - hasn't broken through into mainstream opinion. It is still reminiscent of the early inklings of the SNP or Green surges - but that just goes to show it might yet catch light (not the bookies' favourite at the moment) or could simply fizzle out without translating into parliamentary gains (even if gets voting numbers up, they may well not be well-distributed electorally*).

Yes, I think that's fair comment. People who are interested in politics are reacting strongly, People who aren't haven't really reacted much, either to the enthusiasm or to the IRA/Hamas stuff. I suspect they'll take more interest (either way!) as coverage builds in the coming weeks.

Leader. YC,LK,AB
    Dep SC

YC has gravitas and the ability to hurt Cameron.

LK should have been able to win my vote, but ran a poor campaign that seemed actively to aggravate people. Dumb.

• RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

SeanT said:

proof of collusion please... who in the Govt authorised this
    Wise up.... It was an extremely dirty war.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Reaction_Force
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

The top brass of BBC News are Tories !
  • Oh dear

Hate on them all you like, but when they are on the hunt for something the Mail can be very, very good at it.
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

It's interesting how the radio 4 comedy shows such as dead ringers, now show and news quiz have changed their tune. They never really coped with the Conservative been out of power under Blair. It was confusing for them. So they just carried on making jokes about Thatcher. When the coalition took charge it was business as usual. Angry ranty preachy about baby eating conservatives. About half way through the parliament it started to change tack. Humour was now directed at how awful Labour and specifically Ed Miliband was.

It was their total irrelevance. Dead Ringers this week ripped into Labour in a way I havent heard on the BBC for some time. There was a lot of less than subtle humour about Corbyn's association with a whole load of very dodgy religious nut cases. He was getting chunks ripped out of him.
    Is it not dangerous to call Jeremy Corbyn JC - won't that confuse some people into thinking you are talking about either Julius Caesar or Jesus Christ? ;)
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Well this is just an anecdote, but I had lunch with my parents today. Normal not particularly political couple of pensioners. They read the Daily Express so these aren't socialists in any way. They always vote but make their minds up afresh each election. Vote Tory most often but voted for Blair and Brown. Ruled Miliband out early on - (as did I nearer the actual vote). Said they didn't like the sound of Corbyn much. It took me about 15 minutes to talk them round. He is still untested and could easily louse things up, but I think he is a much easier sell than Brown or Miliband.

What the partisans on here don't seem to appreciate, even though it is really really obvious, is that the people Labour need to win back are not the die hard partisan Tories. They are the waverers who were in two minds back in May. These people are neither left wing nor right wing. There are arguments that can be deployed that they will buy. Admittedly in my story I know the things that work with my parents - I have been talking to them about politics for 40 years. But on the other hand I am not a Labour Party member nor much of a salesman.

Despise him if you choose. I think he is a decent and patriotic man personally, but you are entitled to your opinion. Disagree with his policies if you like, but I'd forgive a lot to get a national investment bank. But you'd be unwise to assume he is no hoper.
  • Tim_B said:

Is it not dangerous to call Jeremy Corbyn JC - won't that confuse some people into thinking you are talking about either Julius Caesar or Jesus Christ? ;)

I've got a thread coming up where I compare Corbyn to Julius Caesar

In case you missed it Part I

I love Jezbollah. Rumours say he is bringing back Lady Nugee* as Shadow Justice Secretary

*That's Emily Thornberry to you fecking plebs.

Her formal title is Chief Patroniser of St. George, isn't it?

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Tribal politics.

'Celebrate the mosaic'.
    So it's true! I'd heard some people could do that and some other people believed it. Now I know it's true. Praise be to JC.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    You only have to watch that and then you realise that Donald Trump will probably be the next POTUS. Trump combines the folksy charm of Bush, the dumbness of Reagan and the A star, testosterone charisma of Clinton. He is masterclass of parody....even I liked him after watching that sketch.

The Democrats and GOP have to dig a lot deeper if they are to find someone who can stop him. Biden maybe the only and last hope for both the Democrats and GOP to stop Trump...and even then I somehow doubt it.
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Before his interview with Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show last night, Donald Trump interviews his reflection in the mirror.

Brilliant from Fallon!
    JWisemann said:

tyson said:

Surely not. Just a coincidence that their current affairs department has been a revolving door for Tories and Blairites.
    I was with some retired Nepalese soldiers today and a few retired officers from other regiments of the Army, they came to me and spontaneously started talking about how a man like him could not ever become Prime Minister, not with his view on defence. It was a disbelief that Labour had gone down this path.
  • Oh dear

Do as I say not as I do.

Eagles

You rally need to send this up the CCHQ chain of command:

Get the next set of Conservatives Tshirts / mugs / badges/ tat made at a British factory.

Getting them made in Britain would bring more beneficial publicity than whatever the logo they sport says.
  • In case you missed it Part II

Sunday Times:

A POLICE investigation into claims of murder by a VIP paedophile ring has been halted after detectives could find no evidence to support the allegations.

Officers from the Suffolk force became so worried by the behaviour of the “witness” who made the claims — known only as Darren — that they have referred his son to social services.

Darren has now said that he will no longer co-operate with the police. He had previously given lurid accounts of two incidents in which he claimed people died at the hands of a paedophile gang that included a senior Conservative politician.

I cannot say I am surprised.
    edited September 2015
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

The top brass of BBC News are Tories !
    The general positions of the organisation are more traditionally seen as sympathetic to the left. But I think many Tories just look for bias wherever they can, and the BBC makes a very good stab a political neutrality, too often you get something like 'The BBC spent too much on pens; this shows the licence fee must be abolished'. The same argument is made for more substantive reasons, but it loses its impact on me as a result of repitition.

I agree with nome though that Ed M in particular got it pretty hard from much of the BBC in some quarters.
  • saddened said:

saddened said:

SeanT said:

In what way is this going to make Corbyn any more palatable to the British people?

I think most Brits will deny there was collusion, either because they are unaware of the allegations (about Nairac or Stakeknife or whoever) or because they don't believe them.

When John McDonnell praised the "bravery and sacrifice" of the IRA ("It's about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA.") Labour did their best to shut him up because they knew it was bad news electorally. When Jeremy Corbyn has such close personal ties to the leadership of Sinn Fein, it is hardly going to make him more popular.

If he tried to justify it by getting into a tit-for-tat argument about who did what and who knew about it, decades ago, it would just be digging a deeper hole for himself.
    Is it true the Ulster Defence Association were legal from their inception in 1971 until as late as 1992?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,201
    edited September 2015

Oh dear

Do as I say not as I do.

Eagles

Get the next set of Conservatives Tshirts / mugs / badges/ tat made at a British factory.

Getting them made in Britain would bring more beneficial publicity than whatever the logo they sport says.
    The Tories and I have been in discussions about Corbyn.

This is a prelude of what the Tories are going to do.

It's going to get brutal

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COuPCloWsAA3KOn.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COuPZiRWwAA91CR.png

Oh dear

That's good wages in a Third World country ! I hope people in other TW countries could earn that.

• On topic: I agree very strongly with this comment. Polls at this stage are not only pretty meaningless, but these specific questions are particularly naff.

What they do suffice to show, is that the "Corbynmania" - this energising flood of euphoria that so many grassroots lefties have reported a surging tide of - hasn't broken through into mainstream opinion. It is still reminiscent of the early inklings of the SNP or Green surges - but that just goes to show it might yet catch light (not the bookies' favourite at the moment) or could simply fizzle out without translating into parliamentary gains (even if gets voting numbers up, they may well not be well-distributed electorally*).

Yes, I think that's fair comment. People who are interested in politics are reacting strongly, People who aren't haven't really reacted much, either to the enthusiasm or to the IRA/Hamas stuff. I suspect they'll take more interest (either way!) as coverage builds in the coming weeks.

Thanks Nick. Corbyn is a high-risk option, the possible upside and downside really haven't been fully explored yet and won't show up in the polls til stuff has seeped through to soceity as a whole (a process that might take a couple of years). My feeling is that his potential upside and downside are very large compared to a typical politician. It is entirely possible that they will more or less cancel each other out exactly! So it will be worth paying close attention to churn figures, as well as headline ones.
  • Tim_B said:

Or Jeremy Clarkson? :)

Oh dear

Do as I say not as I do.

Eagles

The Tories and I have been in discussions about Corbyn.

This is a prelude of what the Tories are going to do.

It's going to get brutal

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COuPCloWsAA3KOn.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COuPZiRWwAA91CR.png
    Corbyn will balance the books faster and keep it there. Cancel Trident saves many billions.
    Some QE. QE will be inflationary unless it was done under the Tories.
    SeanT said:

On a nicer note, I played pooh-sticks with my daughter Lucy today. In the glowing September sun. On Regent's Canal.

I'm not sure I've ever been so happy.

Pooh-sticks with my nine year old. Who knew.

Simple pleasures are often the best ones.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    surbiton said:

Oh dear

That's good wages in a Third World country ! I hope people in other TW countries could earn that.
    "All of the workers we spoke to earned £101.29 a month – just pennies more than the country’s minimum wage of £100.95. "

• tyson said:

You only have to watch that and then you realise that Donald Trump will probably be the next POTUS. Trump combines the folksy charm of Bush, the dumbness of Reagan and the A star, testosterone charisma of Clinton. He is masterclass of parody....even I liked him after watching that sketch.

The Democrats and GOP have to dig a lot deeper if they are to find someone who can stop him. Biden maybe the only and last hope for both the Democrats and GOP to stop Trump...and even then I somehow doubt it.

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

Brilliant from Fallon!
    Reagan was apparantly highly intelligent and interested in 'intellectual' p[olitical debate.

His 'dumbness' being an effect of increasing old age and the effects of being shot.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2015

saddened said:

saddened said:

SeanT said:

Is it true the Ulster Defence Association were legal from their inception in 1971 until as late as 1992?
    Why don't you just fecking tell us what you want to say? If you have a point to make then make it.