Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal on the Corbyn excitement factor

Comments

• malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676

alex. said:

BBC saying that strong indications that somebody called Chi Onwurah (who she?) is going to replace Chuka, and lead on the TU bill tomorrow?

Labour MP for Newcastle Central

http://chionwurahmp.com/
    She was one that proposed him,
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

German Statue of Liberty.

Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses, For About A Week, OK That's Quite Enough Huddled Masses Now.

The anger of those denied entry because they were a few days late is going to be unbridled.
    Ironically Merkel has also called for more aid to be given to support the refugee camps in Syria/Jordan/Lebanon, etc. I wonder if she recalls which country has given more money for this than the rest of Europe combined. :) Anyone know the German for inability to organise a piss-up in a brewery?
  • corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Tim_B said:

corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

Those of you who have seen local TV news in the US know what it's like - there is a lot of it, and it's all crime, crashes, weather, traffic and fires. Here stations typically have 4 hours in the morning, 2 in the early evening, and an hour at 11pm. It's a big money earner for local TV stations.

I came downstairs this Sunday morning, grabbed my cereal and turned on the TV. I watched a college football game on a local station last night.

Local news was going gangbusters - the lead story was a tree falling across a suburban street. Not a major road or a rat run, just a quiet suburban street. They had a reporter and camera crew on scene, and the news chopper was circling overhead. They had interviews with the crew chopping the tree up, the utility crew waiting to fix the power lines, residents who heard it fall. It was classic local news.

Then they went breathlessly to see the traffic situation, with graphics, traffic cams, traffic chopper, the whole deal. It's 8am on a Sunday - there is no traffic.

I've mentioned football and Sunday. This is the first sunday of the NFL season. The NBC game this evening is the Giants visiting America's Team. At about 8.20pm Carrie Underwood will sing the intro, and we'll all go nuts. It will sound something like this.....

What I remember is the local TV adverts, they were something special.

(Of course the biggest NFL change now is how the promo packages make a point of avoiding the big hits they used to love).

(Go Chargers).
    Chargers for Pete's sake?! Philip Rivers, his bolo tie and 15 kids, threatening to leave if the team relocates to LA?.
    Philip "the best QB in his draft class" Rivers yes.
    I have to ask - how many Chargers games have you been to?
    None I'm afraid, have only made it to the USA once and couldn't make it work (ironically that was when the Chargers were in London)
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited September 2015

Imams, priests, rabbis and other religious figures will have to enrol in a “national register of faith leaders” and be subject to government-specified training and security checks in the Home Office’s latest action on extremism.

The highly controversial proposal appears in a leaked draft of the Government’s new counter-extremism strategy, seen by The Telegraph, which goes substantially further than previous versions of the document.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11860993/Imams-will-have-to-register-and-face-security-vetting-under-Home-Office-plans.html

Sounds like Gerard Batten's muslim charter except that it includes other religions to swerve accusations of "Islamophobia"
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    isam said:

One of my mates did an accumulator on all yesterdays Premier League matches to be drawn.. I raised my eyes at his amateurish betting behaviour...

But check out todays Serie A scores... Four games gone, all 2-2!

Doing it in Premier League - amateurish.

Doing it in Serie A - probably lucky to get odds against.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Surely at least half the Shadow Cabinet will be new.

Remember before Corbyn even starts he has already lost:

Miliband
    Harman
    Balls
    Alexander

If there are now another 7 or 8 incumbents refusing to serve then that's 50% of the Shadow Cabinet.
    alex. said:

BBC saying that strong indications that somebody called Chi Onwurah (who she?) is going to replace Chuka, and lead on the TU bill tomorrow?

Or more likely they all got a bit confused on the spellings and it should actually be Chi Chi the panda leading for the opposition.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited September 2015
    Especially those who sold their belongings along the way.
    AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Give Me Your Tired, Your Poor, Your Huddled Masses, For About A Week, OK That's Quite Enough Huddled Masses Now.

The anger of those denied entry because they were a few days late is going to be unbridled.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    ydoethur said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Indigo said:

Possibly you could stop your dancing now and enlighten us as to which loyalist paramilitary supporters met with a Tory politician, without a bunch of diversionary crap about the security services.

The whole point of Collusion between elements of the State and the Loyalists was that it was all hush-hush, hoosh-hoosh.
    Sunil, elements of the state met with PIRA and other terrorist groups too. Crimes were committed by PIRA even though the the State knew that they were planned. It was all a very messy business. Now I appreciate that all this might have come as something as a shock to you in your reading of Wikkipedia but it is not actually news to those of us richer in years and there are several on this site who have very direct and personal knowledge of what went on.

So maybe unless you have some actual point to make then now, after three days of essentially hinting and making inane one liners, might be a good time to move on.
    I agree - make him eat the food at that labyrinthine Brighton hospital.
    Now, now, Mr. B. We don't have a constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishments (through the 1688 Bill of Rights, if I remember, contains something similar) but there are limits in a civilised society.

I hope your sister-in-law is OK and survived her stay at the RSCH without too much suffering.
    Thanks for asking - she is fine thanks. She had surgery on the 9th. They insisted she stay a night in hospital, which seems utterly insane and financially irresponsible for elbow surgery, but there it is. She's doing fine.
    I don't know so much. Supposing the scar had leaked, or there had been a late reaction to the anaesthetic? I would have thought after any surgery involving GA (assuming this did) it's sensible to have a few hours observation, anyway.

Hope you are all bearing up.
    A few hours observation after GA is eminent good sense. My daughter had gall bladder removal surgery recently. After surgery she was taken to recovery where I was waiting. A nurse was with her. When she came round she helped her up, got her walking and gave her pain killers. After about 2 hours she was released and went home. There are few things more expensive than a needless night in hospital. If it's a serious op then it's necessary - but gall bladder or elbow surgery?
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    isam said:

Imams, priests, rabbis and other religious figures will have to enrol in a “national register of faith leaders” and be subject to government-specified training and security checks in the Home Office’s latest action on extremism.

The highly controversial proposal appears in a leaked draft of the Government’s new counter-extremism strategy, seen by The Telegraph, which goes substantially further than previous versions of the document.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11860993/Imams-will-have-to-register-and-face-security-vetting-under-Home-Office-plans.html
    Sounds like Gerard Batten's muslim charter except that it includes other religions to swerve accusations of "Islamophobia"

What will they do about foreign religious leaders coming here to preach. Right now there's a special visa for them, which seems unnecessary.
  • Merkel has transformed from Queen of Europe to Frank Spencer in drag over the course of a fortnight.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,768
    edited September 2015
    MikeL said:

Surely at least half the Shadow Cabinet will be new.

Remember before Corbyn even starts he has already lost:

Miliband
    Harman
    Balls
    Alexander

If there are now another 7 or 8 incumbents refusing to serve then that's 50% of the Shadow Cabinet.

Also Margaret Curran (SSoS Scotland).

Refused so far:

Leslie
    Hunt
    Cooper
    Rachel Reeves
    Probably Ummuna
    Probably Creagh.

So that's roughly 50% already, isn't it?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Especially those who told their belongings along the way.

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Meaning to ask: are you related to the other "Plato"?
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    JEO said:

TudorRose said:

Really it's a total Scheisspolitik

Germany introduces border controls with Austria to stop more refugees arriving, so why the hell did they invite so many ?

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/fluechtlingskrise/bundesregierung-fuehrt-wieder-grenzkontrollen-ein-13800905.html

They jumped the gun; it's a regular problem with German as a language where they put the verb at the end; "You are all into Germany w̶e̶l̶c̶o̶m̶e̶ forbidden"
    Greece, Italy and Hungary should be furious. The numbers of migrants they have to deal with is now far, far bigger because Germany invited them all in and then closed the doors while many were still in transit. The ineptness is making Germany's response to the Eurozone crisis look like a paragon of competence.
    And presumably many in the refugee camps have had the dilemma of deciding whether to make the journey to (at that stage) an open Germany or wait for the UK (and others) to take them directly from the region.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,926
    edited September 2015
    felix said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Ironically Merkel has also called for more aid to be given to support the refugee camps in Syria/Jordan/Lebanon, etc. I wonder if she recalls which country has given more money for this than the rest of Europe combined. :) Anyone know the German for inability to organise a piss-up in a brewery?
    I only did German up to GCSE, but I'll have a go:

,,Unfähigkeit, eine ,,Piss-up'' in einer Brauerei zu organisieren''
  • corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    ydoethur said:

So the inhabitants of NI are not Irish,,thats a new one..

The Protestants are not - they're descended from mostly Scottish settlers transported across and 'planted' in Ulster (at that time, the most Catholic and intractable area of Ireland) in the seventeenth century.
    Of course the word Scotland derives from a word that referred to Irish raiders who invaded across the seas a millennium or so earlier.
    edited September 2015
    alex. said:

isam said:

One of my mates did an accumulator on all yesterdays Premier League matches to be drawn.. I raised my eyes at his amateurish betting behaviour...

But check out todays Serie A scores... Four games gone, all 2-2!

Doing it in Premier League - amateurish.

Doing it in Serie A - probably lucky to get odds against.
    Doing it in Serie A on the last day of the season - 6 months for bribery & corruption

Merkel has transformed from Queen of Europe to Frank Spencer in drag over the course of a fortnight.

And, of course, her drastic u-turn now gives huge authority on this issue to Cameron, who has done the right thing all along.
    corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

corporeal said:

Tim_B said:

Those of you who have seen local TV news in the US know what it's like - there is a lot of it, and it's all crime, crashes, weather, traffic and fires. Here stations typically have 4 hours in the morning, 2 in the early evening, and an hour at 11pm. It's a big money earner for local TV stations.

I came downstairs this Sunday morning, grabbed my cereal and turned on the TV. I watched a college football game on a local station last night.

Local news was going gangbusters - the lead story was a tree falling across a suburban street. Not a major road or a rat run, just a quiet suburban street. They had a reporter and camera crew on scene, and the news chopper was circling overhead. They had interviews with the crew chopping the tree up, the utility crew waiting to fix the power lines, residents who heard it fall. It was classic local news.

Then they went breathlessly to see the traffic situation, with graphics, traffic cams, traffic chopper, the whole deal. It's 8am on a Sunday - there is no traffic.

I've mentioned football and Sunday. This is the first sunday of the NFL season. The NBC game this evening is the Giants visiting America's Team. At about 8.20pm Carrie Underwood will sing the intro, and we'll all go nuts. It will sound something like this.....

What I remember is the local TV adverts, they were something special.

(Of course the biggest NFL change now is how the promo packages make a point of avoiding the big hits they used to love).

(Go Chargers).
    Chargers for Pete's sake?! Philip Rivers, his bolo tie and 15 kids, threatening to leave if the team relocates to LA?.
    Philip "the best QB in his draft class" Rivers yes.
    I have to ask - how many Chargers games have you been to?
    None I'm afraid, have only made it to the USA once and couldn't make it work (ironically that was when the Chargers were in London)
    In which case your transgression is understandable ;)
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,097
    edited September 2015
    Clare Solomon is one of those peculiar student sabbatical types. She is associated with a group called Counterfire which is related to the SWP, or sometimes not.

She crashed and burned on Newsnight when they smashed up the building containing the Conservatvie Party headquarters in 2010. Remember the Fire Extinguisher?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZZw2EBWtdM

Ye Gods. Was that 5 years ago?
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    JEO said:

Merkel has transformed from Queen of Europe to Frank Spencer in drag over the course of a fortnight.

And, of course, her drastic u-turn now gives huge authority on this issue to Cameron, who has done the right thing all along.
    Just a shame it didn't happen yesterday, mid-protest...
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

I was wondering the same thing but am too bashful to ask.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Chi Onwurah is a British Labour Party politician, who was elected at the 2010 general election as the Member of Parliament for Newcastle upon Tyne Central, replacing the previous Labour MP Jim Cousins, who decided to step down and left the seat

I've never heard of either.

alex. said:

One of very few in British politics who is an Engineer having graduated from Imperial. So there you go, not a lawyer or accountant.
    JEO said:

Not a lot of criticism (any?) of Cameron on here from the Cameroons who are self professed immigration lovers was there?
  • FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited September 2015
    If Corbyn remains Labour leader over the next few years I think it increases David Cameron's chances of staying on as Tory leader.

It is very unlikely Corbyn can win a majority, but he could - by winning back a few English seats and some in Wales - become PM through a rainbow coalition. If the Scot Nats and a Farron-led Lib Dems saw an opportunity to spite the Tories they would, even if it was via a minority coalition. It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

The Tories would and should fear that, and I believe they would go to the mattresses to stop a Corbyn premiership. If there was a threat of Corbyn leading the country Cameron would likely rightly feel that it was his duty to stay on and ensure he gets beaten.

Cameron is the Tories' best asset and swapping him will be risky. However unpalatable Corbyn is to large parts of the electorate, as his stunning victory shows, nothing can be ruled out in politics these days.
    edited September 2015
    corporeal said:

ydoethur said:

The Protestants are not - they're descended from mostly Scottish settlers transported across and 'planted' in Ulster (at that time, the most Catholic and intractable area of Ireland) in the seventeenth century.
    Of course the word Scotland derives from a word that referred to Irish raiders who invaded across the seas a millennium or so earlier.
    And just to confuse matters, most of the inhabitants of the area where the planters (seems the wrong word but can't think of a better) came from were descended from Saxons, heavily mixed with Vikings.

No wonder Gladstone complained that every time he found an answer, they changed the Question!
  • Tim_B said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

I think original Plato had trouble logging into Vanilla the other day?
    It's me. Vanilla decided it wouldn't let me comment.
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

• corporeal said:

ydoethur said:

"It's Pictland's oil!"
    SeanT said:

Unless it only lasts a few days, the unilateral German suspension of Schengen will surely have a domino effect. Other countries will have to follow suit, those that don't will end up with all the refugees.

So Schengen will entirely collapse.

As I said earlier, if Germany can unilaterally suspend Schengen, we can unilaterally suspend Free Movement. All the other countries - Germany, France, Italy, Greece - only abide by EU laws until they become a problem for them as a nation. Then they ignore them. Why don't we start doing this?

Switzerland has just stopped Free Movement despite it being in the bilateral treaties. We should start doing the same. It's the only thing that will allow Cameron to win the referendum with an In.
  • Dr. Prasannan, ich habe ein Abitur auf Deutsch, aber seit dreizehn Jahren habe ich kein Deutsch benutzen.

Thinking of trying a Dragon Age: Inquisition or Witcher 3 playthrough in German (problem is DAI has many text-only sections, which may be well beyond me).

Sie konnten* ein Partei in einer Brauerei nicht organisieren.

*missing an umlaut, of course.
  • surbiton said:

Chi Onwurah is a British Labour Party politician, who was elected at the 2010 general election as the Member of Parliament for Newcastle upon Tyne Central, replacing the previous Labour MP Jim Cousins, who decided to step down and left the seat

alex. said:

One of very few in British politics who is an Engineer having graduated from Imperial. So there you go, not a lawyer or accountant.
    I went to Imperial too. Nuff said :)
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Best just to get your account reset by PB, I have had it many times.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,723
    Interesting conversation with the Sec of the local Labour Party in the pub this afternoon. Apparently membership ..... not just £3 entryists ....... has boomed over the last few weeks. He's also done a bit of sampling since yesterday ..... unscientific and anecdotal .... and people like Corbyn's reported policies on railways, enrergy and housing. This is in a very Tory area.

Early days of course. Very early.
    edited September 2015

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

You were always a cat person - now your pic is a dog in a wooly hat and a Soviet flag. Don't tell me you've been in RSCH as well!
  • Dr. Prasannan, ich habe ein Abitur auf Deutsch, aber seit dreizehn Jahren habe ich kein Deutsch benutzen.

Thinking of trying a Dragon Age: Inquisition or Witcher 3 playthrough in German (problem is DAI has many text-only sections, which may be well beyond me).

In that case, Herr Dancer:

,,Sie koennten'' if you can't type the "o-umlaut".

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

How many are there ?
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

Glad to help :D
  • Dr. Prasannan, ja, ich weiss aber ich mag nicht die Englishification of swapping in an E for the umlaut.

Besides, nobody writes Nico Huelkenburg.

Dr. Prasannan, ich habe ein Abitur auf Deutsch, aber seit dreizehn Jahren habe ich kein Deutsch benutzen.

I think there is an idiomatic phrase though, isn't there: Böcke zum Gärtnen machen, the bucks (buck rabbits) make the garden.
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

You are Donald Trump to my Jim Gilmore ;)
    It's my tribute to Comrade Corbyn since I voted for him.

I'll go back to kitties when something more entertaining comes along.
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

You were always a cat person - now your pic is a dog in a wooly hat and a Soviet flag. Don't tell me you've been in RSCH as well!
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Fenster said:

If Corbyn remains Labour leader over the next few years I think it increases David Cameron's chances of staying on as Tory leader.

It is very unlikely Corbyn can win a majority, but he could - by winning back a few English seats and some in Wales - become PM through a rainbow coalition. If the Scot Nats and a Farron-led Lib Dems saw an opportunity to spite the Tories they would, even if it was via a minority coalition. It's certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.

The Tories would and should fear that, and I believe they would go to the mattresses to stop a Corbyn premiership. If there was a threat of Corbyn leading the country Cameron would likely rightly feel that it was his duty to stay on and ensure he gets beaten.

Cameron is the Tories' best asset and swapping him will be risky. However unpalatable Corbyn is to large parts of the electorate, as his stunning victory shows, nothing can be ruled out in politics these days.

I very much hope Cameron does stay but it seems unlikely.

However one point in favour is that I expect Osborne to favour Cameron staying - so Cameron can win the 2020 GE and then go after a respectable gap - say 18 months - teeing up George to be PM for over 3 years without having to win a GE himself.

Much, much safer than Osborne having to win the 2020 GE!
    surbiton said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

How many are there ?
    One Plato, two accounts.
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

You are Donald Trump to my Jim Gilmore ;)
    titter... am looking forward to President Trump ;)

Dr. Prasannan, ich habe ein Abitur auf Deutsch, aber seit dreizehn Jahren habe ich kein Deutsch benutzen.

wow - gezundheit??? :)
    Fenster said:

The only way the Tories could lose the majority will be through the reversal of 2015. Despite popular belief, the Tories did not win because Labour lost 40 seats in Scotland. It was because the Liberals lost 27 seats to the Tories.

If the Liberals can win back 6 seats from the Tories, all things being equal, Tories lose their majority.

I doubt that would happen. One of the consequences of Labour doing better in the South West was the Liberals losing seats.

Corbyn is on record saying why is the poorest region in the UK not vote Labour:

Answer: Except under Miliband, Labour never spent any resources in the South West. Forget tradition. The Libs had tradition here and in the Highlands. What happened to them ?
  • ydoethur said:

DT

This breaking news just in from our chief political correspondent Christopher Hope:

NEW Former Greek finance minister Yannis Varoufakis says he is appearing with Jeremy Corbyn at a rally in London tomorrow night.
    Is HE going to be Shadow Chancellor? :astonished:

I hope so!
    MikeL said:

Fenster said:

I very much hope Cameron does stay but it seems unlikely.

However one point in favour is that I expect Osborne to favour Cameron staying - so Cameron can win the 2020 GE and then go after a respectable gap - say 18 months - teeing up George to be PM for over 3 years without having to win a GE himself.

Much, much safer than Osborne having to win the 2020 GE!
    But Osborne will believe he (even he!) can beat Corbyn. Therefore, actually, looked at from that point of view it's an argument for Cameron going earlier.

Whether it's a correct argument is a different question, but as we've seen over the last five years, few politicians match flashes of shrewdness with quite astonishing hubris and arrogance as well as George Osborne does.
  • Mr. Felix, Gesundheit. Cooler, drei Minuten ;)

Mr. Doethur, never heard that. Should stress that even when doing my A-level, my conversational German was ok but I was pretty rubbish at grammar and anything complicated. Fortunately my quick wits solved many problems [when troubled by the pronunciation of Psychologie, I told my German teacher I was studying Bio at university :p ].
    SeanT said:

Et voila

Conflict News
    @Conflicts
    BREAKING: Czech Republic to introduce border controls at the #Czech-#Austria border - @spillthenews

Czech mate for Schengen?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn had discussions with Burnham this afternoon apparently. I still have a suspicion that Burnham will have been saying Shadow Chancellor or I am not playing. If so, it will be an early test of Corbyn's mettle.

I don't think AB will get the Shadow Chancellor's job. I could be wrong.

John McDonnell or Angela Eagle probably. I will be surprised if it is not JM. What is the point of receiving 60% of the votes, then worrying about making an appointment to "please the City".

JC probably thinks the City [ particularly , the Banks ] is the root of the problems facing this country.

Burnham will probably get Foreign Affairs or Home. Hilary Benn has played his cards well by keeping his mouth shut. Also, supporting the Palestinian cause will not be a big problem for him. It might have been for one or two like Rachel Reeves, for instance.
    Bit of a problem with taking on the City. It's this little thing called Magna Carta ;)
    Most of which has been repealed. If they have any sense they'll announce their intention to abolish the City of London corporation immediately. Corbyn has little chance of winning an election. He might as well come out all guns blazing and change the political conversation.
    Travel advice for the migrants. When entering Europe remember to switch your phone to roaming, don't drink water from the tap, and....

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/643096288779726848
    edited September 2015

Fortunately my quick wits solved many problems [when troubled by the pronunciation of Psychologie, I told my German teacher I was studying Bio at university :p ].

Genius. Why didn't I think of that? (I went off on a long rambling passage that bore no resemblance to anything, and whoever listened to the tapes must have thought I was myself a candidate for psychology!)

ydoethur said:

DT

This breaking news just in from our chief political correspondent Christopher Hope:

NEW Former Greek finance minister Yannis Varoufakis says he is appearing with Jeremy Corbyn at a rally in London tomorrow night.
    Is HE going to be Shadow Chancellor? :astonished:
    I hope so!

Varoufakis would be a smart person to court. Blanchflower is a Labour tribalist.

Corbyn might as well bring in people who can lend a sense of credibility.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Interesting conversation with the Sec of the local Labour Party in the pub this afternoon. Apparently membership ..... not just £3 entryists ....... has boomed over the last few weeks. He's also done a bit of sampling since yesterday ..... unscientific and anecdotal .... and people like Corbyn's reported policies on railways, enrergy and housing. This is in a very Tory area.

People liked Michael Foot's policies on railways and housing. But in the end it's the economy and national security that will determine how most people vote.
  • Mr. Doethur, fibbing works in all languages :p
    edited September 2015

surbiton said:

alex. said:

I went to Imperial too. Nuff said :)
    We have been reminded of that many times, thank you ! The point I was making that there is a sense of cynicism about politicians that apart from earning a PPE and working in the research department, they hardly ever had a "real" job.

She has had real jobs ! Therefore, the irony of "never heard of her".
    AndyJS said:

People liked Michael Foot's policies on railways and housing. But in the end it's the economy and national security that will determine how most people vote.
    Wasn't it steel rather than railways that was important for Foot? Or was railway privatisation being mooted as early as 1983?
  • ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

Wasn't it steel rather than railways that was important for Foot? Or was railway privatisation being mooted as early as 1983?
    Some kind of state control was mooted as early as the 1840s (eighteen!)

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn had discussions with Burnham this afternoon apparently. I still have a suspicion that Burnham will have been saying Shadow Chancellor or I am not playing. If so, it will be an early test of Corbyn's mettle.

John McDonnell or Angela Eagle probably. I will be surprised if it is not JM. What is the point of receiving 60% of the votes, then worrying about making an appointment to "please the City".

JC probably thinks the City [ particularly , the Banks ] is the root of the problems facing this country.

Burnham will probably get Foreign Affairs or Home. Hilary Benn has played his cards well by keeping his mouth shut. Also, supporting the Palestinian cause will not be a big problem for him. It might have been for one or two like Rachel Reeves, for instance.
    Bit of a problem with taking on the City. It's this little thing called Magna Carta ;)
    Most of which has been repealed. If they have any sense they'll announce their intention to abolish the City of London corporation immediately. Corbyn has little chance of winning an election. He might as well come out all guns blazing and change the political conversation.
    But that's what's enshrined in Magna Carta. "Immediately" abolishing 800 years of English Law is not exactly a simple matter...
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

I saw that report. I know I don't get on with our new "priest in charge" (the CofE no longer does vicars and rectors apparently) but to make the silly bat go on some government training scheme seems very unfair. Then there are those like SquareRoot's local chap, been vicar of the same parish for more than thirty years and suddenly he has to be trained and approved by the government and put on a register. Why?

In Soviet Russia and in China priests were/are only allowed to practice their vocation if licensed by the government. What is the UK coming to when we feel we have to follow their example? If a religious figure is breaking the law then prosecute them (rather than aid and abet as the Met Police did with the fellow with the hooks) there are plenty of offences to choose from.

ydoethur said:

AndyJS said:

Some kind of state control was mooted as early as the 1840s (eighteen!)
    In the aftermath of Hudson's failure, wasn't it? As part of a proposed extension to the powers of the Board of Control.
    alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

But that's what's enshrined in Magna Carta. "Immediately" abolishing 800 years of English Law is not exactly a simple matter...
    I'm a mainstream Tory and I'd completely support abolition of the City of London corporation.
  • A big problem in temporarily leaving Schengen is that so many border crossings are unmanned.

What a clusterfook.

I saw that report. I know I don't get on with our new "priest in charge" (the CofE no longer does vicars and rectors apparently) but to make the silly bat go on some government training scheme seems very unfair. Then there are those like SquareRoot's local chap, been vicar of the same parish for more than thirty years and suddenly he has to be trained and approved by the government and put on a register. Why?

In Soviet Russia and in China priests were/are only allowed to practice their vocation if licensed by the government. What is the UK coming to when we feel we have to follow their example? If a religious figure is breaking the law then prosecute them (rather than aid and abet as the Met Police did with the fellow with the hooks) there are plenty of offences to choose from.

Because plenty of Muslim clerics are teaching intolerance in difficult to prove ways.
    JEO said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

I'm a mainstream Tory and I'd completely support abolition of the City of London corporation.
    Why?
    edited September 2015

I know I don't get on with our new "priest in charge" (the CofE no longer does vicars and rectors apparently) but to make the silly bat go on some government training scheme seems very unfair.

I think the idea is that they are licensed as priests in charge for a few years, and then if they are happy and want to stay for a while are formally inducted as the Rector, because it's quite a performance to induct somebody for multiple parishes which most Church of England clergy have to look after these days. Certainly there is a Rector of Cannock and a Vicar of Chadsmoor.

The Methodists of course rotate people out every five years - the opposite idea!

(PS - agree about licences. Just to show how foolish they are - what difference would it have made to Abu Hamza, who was locked out of Finsbury Park and preached on a soap box outside?)
    JEO said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

I wasn't expressing an opinion on whether it was a good idea in principle or not. Just that it wouldn't be a simple matter, to put it mildly.

Life is good - Red Zone Channel is up and running: 7 early games and 5 late games.

Wife bringing in Chinese food.

Then Giants at Dallas is the evening game.
    If I've got my figures right, the population of Munich is increasing by about 1% each week at the moment. Clearly unsustainable.

Wow - with that kind of ground game 2020 GE is in the bag. Is his name IOS I wonder?

A big problem in temporarily leaving Schengen is that so many border crossings are unmanned.

What a clusterfook.

What makes you assume it's temporary?

JEO said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Why?
    It's an extreme anachronism. A corporation with leaders elected by shareholders (including companies) that rules over a territory?

Plus the City's police force is corrupt as hell and the Met should take over.
    isam said:

Travel advice for the migrants. When entering Europe remember to switch your phone to roaming, don't drink water from the tap, and....

https://twitter.com/mailonline/status/643096288779726848

Is this bugger still alive ? AQ is not in the news any more. They are too "soft" like the Blairites !
    It's like our version of the Vatican :wink:
    JEO said:

JEO said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Why?
    It's an extreme anachronism. A corporation with leaders elected by shareholders (including companies) that rules over a territory?

A big problem in temporarily leaving Schengen is that so many border crossings are unmanned.

What a clusterfook.

Looks like Merkel' s canonization by the left might have to be put on hold.
    JEO said:

JEO said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Why?

Hurrah! A non-plutocrat pb Tory.
  • Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

That's what they've said. Maybe this is the end of it, though. That will cause significant problems at road crossings with lorries etc. It's a real mess.

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

SeanT said:
    Indeed its roots are old (FPT): The Canters Dictionary of 1608 lists "prat" as meaning "buttock". (That was by Thomas Dekker but apparently mostly plagiarised from the mysterious Thomas Harman.)

But then consider this delightful poem from 1942:

"She's a far better piece
    Than the Viceroy's niece,
    Who has also more fur on her prat."

In modern times there has certainly also been a "female genitalia" meaning, though the "backside" use is even longer established.

Note that "twat" also dates back for centuries ("they talk’t of his having a Cardinall’s Hat / they’d send him as soon an Old Nun’s Twat" from 1660). Very speculatively, I wonder if the genital sense of "prat" was originally a bowdlerisation, or simply a mistake, for "twat".
    I knew two people with that surname.

One, when he wanted to marry took her name as she was not certainly taking his.

Another lady married a mr Pratt but when they had children that reached school age they all changed their surname.
  • Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

Conflict News
    @Conflicts
    BREAKING: Czech Republic to introduce border controls at the #Czech-#Austria border - @spillthenews

Czech mate for Schengen?
    Poles apart?

Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

That's what they've said. Maybe this is the end of it, though. That will cause significant problems at road crossings with lorries etc. It's a real mess.

Trucks going through customs is a 'significant problem'? It makes you wonder how US-Canadian trade survives. How did European trade work pre-Schengen? It's not a problem.
  • Dr. Prasannan, people are Hungary for change.

Tim_B said:

SeanT said:

Et voila

Conflict News
    @Conflicts

Czech mate for Schengen?
    Poles apart?
    Particularly Roman Polanski, the five foot pole nobody wants to touch.
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Priti Patel's interview on LBC was a mess. Is she capable of independent thought? Patel sounded like a broken record.

http://www.lbc.co.uk/how-not-to-react-to-corbyns-win-116125
    Floater said:

I knew two people with that surname.

One, when he wanted to marry took her name as she was not certainly taking his.

Another lady married a mr Pratt but when they had children that reached school age they all changed their surname.

Old Church of England joke, based on the name of Methodist hymn writer Fred Pratt Green (1903-2000)

Vicar: 'Was that Pratt Green sitting in the front row this morning?'

Verger: 'No your reverence, it's just the effect of the light where it comes through the stained glass window.'

Dr. Prasannan, people are Hungary for change.

or, to quote the well known soccer score - England 8, Hungary didn't.
  • felix said:

What a clusterfook.

Looks like Merkel' s canonization by the left might have to be put on hold.

I never saw it as a heroic act. More one to address a decreasing population problem. I would not canonise any European leader given the mess the EU is in.

It's like our version of the Vatican :wink:

JEO said:

JEO said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Why?

I'd abolish the Vatican too - it's one of only three absolutist states in Europe. :)
  • FYI No comment.
    In February 2014, Onwurah spoke in a parliamentary debate she had called on gender-specific toy marketing and lent her support to the campaign Let Toys Be Toys, telling the House of Commons:
    “Before entering Parliament, I spent two decades as a professional engineer, working across three continents. Regardless of where I was or the size of the company, it was always a predominantly male, or indeed all-male, environment, but it is only when I walk into a toy shop that I feel I am really experiencing gender segregation.”[10]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Onwurah
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    The usual left reason for abolishing the City of London is a combination of

1) It's all a gigantic conspiracy
    2) They have lots of assets that should be sold to do stuff.£1.3 billion IIRC

I think they are upset that the City hasn't lost the lot - instead they use the income to fund expenditure.

As to the comment about the City of London police being corrupt - compared to Met?? Hah

The usual left reason for abolishing the City of London is a combination of

1) It's all a gigantic conspiracy
    2) They have lots of assets that should be sold to do stuff.£1.3 billion IIRC

I think they are upset that the City hasn't lost the lot - instead they use the income to fund expenditure.

As to the comment about the City of London police being corrupt - compared to Met?? Hah

The Met does not have a weirdly close relationship with the Church of Scientology.
    JEO said:

JEO said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Why?

The problem with that is that the governance of the City seems to work extremely well, better than many local councils that are elected by the new-fangled universal franchise system (though granted the City has fewer social problems to begin with).

As for the City of London police being corrupt, well if you think the Met is straight I fear you have been leading a very sheltered life. The main difference between the two forces is that the Met is rather more incompetent and has forgotten what its purpose is.
    Ivan Lewis , Jewish NI sec. sacked :)
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

And all of it exacerbated by Merkel's ridiculous decision to "transform Germany" - without asking the voters! - by welcoming 1m immigrants a year, just like that.

She's gone from heroine to object of derision in a week.

Who knows if it will be temporary, but it's already done even more damage to the Cause of Europe. Is there anything worth saving of the EU if Schengen IS gone?
    I don't think it's an exaggeration to say there are probably tens of millions of people from all over the developing world who are right now deciding whether to attempt to move to Germany or Sweden.
  • SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

And all of it exacerbated by Merkel's ridiculous decision to "transform Germany" - without asking the voters! - by welcoming 1m immigrants a year, just like that.

She's gone from heroine to object of derision in a week.

Who knows if it will be temporary, but it's already done even more damage to the Cause of Europe. Is there anything worth saving of the EU if Schengen IS gone?

A single market is a good thing in theory. And you can't have that without a lot of harmonisation. But free movement of peoples is going to get harder and harder to maintain.

• Dr. Prasannan, people are Hungary for change.

Mr Dancer, is Schengen now Finnish-ed for good?
    surbiton said:

isam said:

twitter.com/mailonline/status/643096288779726848

Is this bugger still alive ? AQ is not in the news any more. They are too "soft" like the Blairites !
    I hear Mohammed Enwazi taunted him with "You were the past once" at TMQs last week
    felix said:

Ivan Lewis , Jewish NI sec. sacked :)

Wasn't he the one who was, purely by coincidence, accused of sending obscene text messages to a Civil Servant just after he had broken ranks and criticised a Certain Person?

Not that that would have influenced Corbyn, but perhaps Watson was taking a belated revenge.