Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The shadow cabinet reshuffle is becoming interesting

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Jeremy Corbyn exists to make Donald Trump look good.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    Speedy said:

It's Sun spin, it's not a Minister for Jews, but Minister for Equalities and Faith Minorities

I was right to disbelieve the Sun.
    he giveth...and he taketh away...

still, plenty to be going on with.
  • Options
    I think this might be PB's busiest weekend since Mark Reckless defected
  • Options

Minister for 'Faith Minorities'? So Christians as well, then, right?

Sorry, sunshine, Christians are the faith majority and therefore game for persecution.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

It's Sun spin, it's not a Minister for Jews, but Minister for Equalities and Faith Minorities

What a shame. Although good, obviously.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Benn is shadow foreign sec - Lolza.

Burnam shad home.

Laura K tweets.

If Corbyn is toppled I would now make Benn favourite to succeed him as leader before 2020. He is moderate enough to appeal to Blairites and Brownites, while also serving Corbyn in his Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Foreign Secretary and an experienced hand who was a Cabinet Minister too, his last name would also mean he would automatically get the left back on board after any coup. So Hilary Benn to be Labour's Michael Howard in 2017/18 if the polls fail to lift? You heard it here first
    Somebody agrees with you...
    Dan Jarvis on AQ still showed he has it in him to be leader. I think Lab could learn some ruthlessness from his SEMOD approach.

Very nearly squared the circle of calling for unity while stating he wouldn't support Jezza.

All Lab supporters want (presumably?) is a sensible person with a heart who goes in to bat for the needy, eschews the priveleged, constructs policies which reflect this but doesn't go crazy with it, and comes from the real world. Not too many of those around atm but he is one.

Could you enlighten me re SEMOD?
  • Options

Corbynites as well, I guess.

• Options

TGOHF said:

@tnewtondunn: EXCL: Jeremy Corbyn to appoint a Minister for Jews in a bid to defuse criticism of anti-Semitic links; http://t.co/73CKQG7NFo

Can we have a Minister for Scifi geeks who love 80s pop music and are also political nerds?
    Office for Zombie Apocalypse Planning. OfZAP
    When I become the country's first Directly Elected Dictator, you will be appointed Secretary of State for Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse
    I am honoured sir. I shall start preparing immediately.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

@tnewtondunn: EXCL: Jeremy Corbyn to appoint a Minister for Jews in a bid to defuse criticism of anti-Semitic links; http://t.co/73CKQG7NFo

Will they push foward policies that help identify who are jews? Muslims have the niqab etc so maybe Labour will conclude that jews need a sign on their clothing?
    Innocent face.
    I've got a horrible feeling a Minister for Muslims is next up.

This reminds me of Ken Livingstone's mayoralty - with everyone split up according to race/religion/sex/gender etc (Harman's 'protected characteristics') and money and resource being allocated along those lines. Creates horrid disharmony.
  • Options
    The fact we could believe that Corbyn would appoint a minister for Jews shows where British politics is at the moment.
  • Options
    Sky at Night: our sun is a migrant. It didn't come from here.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    edited September 2015
    Wonder if he'll have anything for Owen? :smiley:
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

The hilarious part is how, in this climate, it seemed plausible.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

alex. said:

Estobar said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: Andy Burnham, Hilary Benn and Angela Eagle expected to remain in Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet

Andy Burnham showing the backbone and good judge of character for which he is justly famous....

Can we just call him "Reek" now and get it over with?

He always said he would stay in the Shadow Cabinet even if Corbyn won
    Terrible error by Burnham.

Corbyn is looking wobblier by the minute. Even if Jihadist Jez wants to stay until 2020 (and he does) I now reckon he will be gone by 2017 or before. Any MP who agrees to serve in his Shadow Cabinet will be hideously tainted. Tsk.

Next Labour majority? 2035.
    Assuming you are who I think you are then why should anyone be listening to what you have to say about the Labour party, Mr Thomas?

I think Andy's right to stick it. Remember everyone that Corbyn was swept in with 60% of the popular vote. Those now removing themselves are unlikely to be popular with rank and file. They're the old new labour guard who are getting expunged as Labour rediscovers its identity after the hideous Blair tory years.
    "Assuming you are who i think you are"?

We all know who Sean is, it's not a secret!
    I have to say, Estobar is a wonderfully entertaining addition to PB. reminds me a little of the long departed ben_M
    Even Ben M thinks Corybns a disaster.
    Does he still post on PB. Haven't seen him in a while.
    I occasionally chat to him on twitter, he said he wanted to take a break away from politics after the events in May. Whilst the result was not unexpected to him, he still didn't enjoy it.

He will be back on PB.
    Thanks.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Burnam shad home.

Laura K tweets.

If Corbyn is toppled I would now make Benn favourite to succeed him as leader before 2020. He is moderate enough to appeal to Blairites and Brownites, while also serving Corbyn in his Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Foreign Secretary and an experienced hand who was a Cabinet Minister too, his last name would also mean he would automatically get the left back on board after any coup. So Hilary Benn to be Labour's Michael Howard in 2017/18 if the polls fail to lift? You heard it here first
    Dan Jarvis on AQ still showed he has it in him to be leader. I think Lab could learn some ruthlessness from his SEMOD approach.

Very nearly squared the circle of calling for unity while stating he wouldn't support Jezza.

All Lab supporters want (presumably?) is a sensible person with a heart who goes in to bat for the needy, eschews the priveleged, constructs policies which reflect this but doesn't go crazy with it, and comes from the real world. Not too many of those around atm but he is one.

pleasure
  • Options

TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Burnam shad home.

Laura K tweets.

Steely eyed messenger of death?
  • Options
    At this rate Corbyn's going to have to ennoble Owen Jones, Sion Simon and Eoin Clarke to fill the Shadow Ministerial team.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Are the Jedi covered by faith minorities ?

Dreadful idea all round.
  • Options
    It might Minister for all Faiths (not just minorities)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Are the Jedi covered by faith minorities ?

Dreadful idea all round.

Where is the Minister for Atheists?
  • Options

At this rate Corbyn's going to have to ennoble Owen Jones, Sion Simon and Eoin Clarke to fill the Shadow Ministerial team.

There has been a strange silence from @Estobar very recently...is he on the phone as we speak?
  • Options

Don't forget Piers... He could be made minister for climate change!!!!!

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!
  • Options

I blame the Shadow Cabinet flouncers - don't understand how party elections work!
  • Options

Atheists?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,727
    MTimT said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

@SkyNewsBreak: Sky Sources: Andy Burnham, Hilary Benn and Angela Eagle expected to remain in Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet

Andy Burnham showing the backbone and good judge of character for which he is justly famous....

Maybe Corybn has his **** in a box somewhere....
    Next time I see Reek on the news, I'm going to count his fingers...
    And other appendages? ;)
    Even by PB standards, going up to Andy Burnham with a tape measure and saying "Ey-up, Reek: can I measure your penis stub?" may be considered odd...
  • Options

Climate change believers ?
  • Options
    Where did it all go wrong (and I didn't think this piece could get any more funnier with age)

That is a frightening responsibility. The young princes who now stride the parade ground with the confidence born of aristocratic schooling can never be afraid. They never have been. Like latter day Pushkins drilled in the elite academy of Brownian blitzkrieg, they are bursting with their sense of destiny. It’s not the Milibands, the Ballses or the Burnhams who are unconsciously nervous. This is the moment for which they were created. They are ready.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/conference/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Can we have a Minister for Scifi geeks who love 80s pop music and are also political nerds?
    When I become the country's first Directly Elected Dictator, you will be appointed Secretary of State for Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse
    You mean you aren't preparing already?

You sound like a ZA denier!
  • Options

Rather good stuff from Tony Parsons http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/articles/2015-09/12/tony-parsons-voting-conservative

Like millions of others, I joined the ranks of reluctant Conservatives at the last election. To the haters on the left, I have sold my soul and turned to the dark side. And I'll do it again, because the left has nothing to offer. Here comes the abuse...

I first realised that I was Tory scum on the weekend after the general election. The losing side was throwing a terrible tantrum. "F*** TORY SCUM", they sprayed on a Whitehall memorial dedicated to the women who fought in the Second World War. Well, that's me, I thought. They are definitely talking about me. Because whatever these people believe, I know that I will always be on the other side.

Like eleven million of my countrymen, I had voted Conservative because the alternative felt indistinguishable from national suicide.
    This is That Tony Parsons who wrote for the Mirror for 25yrs.

Bloody hell. Parsons won't be getting many dinner-party invitations after that. When did this Damascene conversion happen? The last political pronouncement I heard him make (some years ago) he was calling Chris Patten a racist for writing 'Peking' instead of 'Beijing' in his autobiography.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Andy Burnham will really do anything to play to the electorate. He's destroyed his reputation.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Where did it all go wrong (and I didn't think this piece could get any more funnier with age)

That is a frightening responsibility. The young princes who now stride the parade ground with the confidence born of aristocratic schooling can never be afraid. They never have been. Like latter day Pushkins drilled in the elite academy of Brownian blitzkrieg, they are bursting with their sense of destiny. It’s not the Milibands, the Ballses or the Burnhams who are unconsciously nervous. This is the moment for which they were created. They are ready.

Pretty much from the moment he clicked [POST] it was downhill all the way right to the point and still is could get worse (if Jezza actually makes it through to face the electorate in 2019/2020)
  • Options

Atheists?
    or cheese makers...

Spectator I: I think it was "Blessed are the cheesemakers".
    Mrs. Gregory: Aha, what's so special about the cheesemakers?
    Gregory: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
  • Options
    I've upset a few Corbynites on twitter.

One of them (swiftly deleted) asked me if I was Jewish?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Speedy said:

I was right to disbelieve the Sun.
    he giveth...and he taketh away...

still, plenty to be going on with.
    No, it's still incredibly delicious:

@sundersays 15m15 minutes ago
    Corbyn plans shad min for faith minorities - and hopes it will be a Jewish MP. Badly handled announcement though? http://www.sunnation.co.uk/jeremy-corbyn-to-appoint-a-special-minister-for-jews/
    "Faith minorities". Thats a nice way to exclude Christians.
  • Options
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

You mean you aren't preparing already?

You sound like a ZA denier!
    Planning for office.

Of course I'm fully prepared personally, but like so many things; scaling up to a national level may not be so straight forward.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited September 2015

Hasn't Corbyn said he won't appoint any new Labour Peers?

If he hasn't actually said it I thought I had heard it had been reported.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

I must have read that piece ten times, and I've still not worked out whether or not it was satirical.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

Burnam shad home.

Laura K tweets.

pleasure
    Ta muchly.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Atheists?
    or cheese makers...

Gregory: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
    :)
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Reichsminister of Church Affairs?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    How can you have a shadow minister without a minister to shadow?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

The fact we could believe that Corbyn would appoint a minister for Jews shows where British politics is at the moment.

Nope, it shows you can be easily duped.
    I for one was not.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

alex. said:

What's left amongst the main gigs?

Chancellor, Treasury Sec, Defence, Work & Pensions, Business, any other big ones?

Educashun?
    Ah, right - a natural for Diane
    She certainly knows what a good school is.
  • Options
    Ezza still feisty. Don't think he'd have any truck with mealy-mouthed equivocation about hating Tories.

https://twitter.com/ericjoyce/status/643174464793001984
  • Options
    JEO said:

Andy Burnham will really do anything to play to the electorate. He's destroyed his reputation.

Did he have one?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,232
    There really should be a book on what Labour MPs are going to be first to resign the whip. I mean I know we are talking about a group of people who supported Gordon Brown blindly and then thought Ed was a good idea but there must be limits.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Corbyn's remarks:

"Wouldn’t it be wonderful if every politician around the world instead of taking pride in the size of their armed forces did what the people of Costa Rica have done and abolished the army and took pride in the fact that they don’t have an army, and that their country is near the top of the global peace index. Surely that is the way we should be going forward.”"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6637495/Corbyn-Britain-should-abolish-its-Army.html
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Good work, everyone.

Corbyn is already in pieces and he hasn't even appointed his Envoy for Suspiciously Hook Nosed Levantine Types, let alone his Health Sec.

But we mustn't go too far. We want him to last til next Friday, if only for the lolz at PMQs.

Back down.

He's got a Sh Health Sec.
  • Options
    Yes, He's only gone and appointed John McDonnell Shadow Chancellor
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I'm increasingly of the impression that Team Corbyn don't have a clue what they're doing, despite Jezza being a HoC veteran.
    Jonathan said:

• Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options
    The Sun leading with Corbyn wanting to "abolish the Army"....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Jonathan said:

I suppose on the basis the opposition is supposed to be a potential government, a shadow minister could merely be to indicate a minister you intend to appoint once you are in position. Not usual, to be sure, but I can see it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited September 2015
    I think I've broken a rib laughing. John McDonnell Shadow Chancellor. Dave & George don't lose that Tory Genie.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

In the words of Tyrion.

"Oh. Fuck. Me!"
  • Options

If Mike Myers made a spoof movie of the Labour party, it wouldn't even hold a candle to what is actually happening right now.

• Options
    edited September 2015
  • Options

At least it's not Angela Eagle.
  • Options
    Mcdonnell

I'm dumbfounded.

Women free
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Corbyn's a disaster for the Daily Mash. The MSM can just print their stories.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Estobar said:

alex. said:

Estobar said:

SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

He always said he would stay in the Shadow Cabinet even if Corbyn won
    Terrible error by Burnham.

Corbyn is looking wobblier by the minute. Even if Jihadist Jez wants to stay until 2020 (and he does) I now reckon he will be gone by 2017 or before. Any MP who agrees to serve in his Shadow Cabinet will be hideously tainted. Tsk.

Next Labour majority? 2035.
    Assuming you are who I think you are then why should anyone be listening to what you have to say about the Labour party, Mr Thomas?

I think Andy's right to stick it. Remember everyone that Corbyn was swept in with 60% of the popular vote. Those now removing themselves are unlikely to be popular with rank and file. They're the old new labour guard who are getting expunged as Labour rediscovers its identity after the hideous Blair tory years.
    "Assuming you are who i think you are"?

We all know who Sean is, it's not a secret!
    'We all know' makes it sounds very cliquey. As a newcomer to this right-wing cabal give me a chance to catch up.

So, you didn't know whether it was a secret or not.

And you thought it appropriate to name him.

Charming.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Labour Press Team ‏@labourpress 1m1 minute ago
    Shadow Chancellor
    John McDonnell MP

Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury
    Seema Malhotra MP

Shadow BIS
    Angela Eagle MP

the Eagle has landed...Business.
  • Options
    Michael Crick wrote a tweet with, possibly, very mildly regrettable wording, and the heated replies to it from Corbynistas are ... not very moderate. Actually reminds me of the twitter-beatings some people got from the Scottish Nationalists. Really quite unpleasant tone, from Irish Republican supporters to "Anti-Zionist" activists.

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/643127647690752001
  • Options

John McDonnell?!

GO will be in a good mood this evening.
  • Options
    And that's Abbott.

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 8m8 minutes ago
    Diane Abbott tipped for shadow communities and Catherine West for shadow international development.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Tim_B said:

Atheists?
    or cheese makers...

:)
    "Well, blessed is just about everyone with a vested interest in the status quo, as far as I can tell"
  • Options
    John McDonnell... Shadow Chancellor!?

This is hilarious!
  • Options
    I'm not sure... But somehow I'm guessing Angela Eagle won't ever have owned a business?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    This must be a dream. John McDonnell: Labour's choice to run the country's finances.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    That makes all four great Offices of State held by men
    AndyJS said:
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

In the words of Tyrion.

"Oh. Fuck. Me!"
    I've just sworn in front of my mother for only the third time in my life.
  • Options
    Oh, you are fucking kidding me.
  • Options
    McDonnell.. SWEET JESUS.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    GIN1138 said:

I'm not sure... But somehow I'm guessing Angela Eagle won't ever have owned a business?

I think her economic forecasting abilities in 2008 was what precluded her from Shadow Chancellor.
  • Options
    Jezza Corbyn, John McDonnell, Tom Wtson and Sadiq Khan... The fact of Labour!

Can you imagine the mood in Chez Mandelson tonight? :^O
  • Options
    I struggled to type the the words "John McDonnell appointed Shadow Chancellor" into the thread header
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn's remarks:

"Wouldn’t it be wonderful if every politician around the world instead of taking pride in the size of their armed forces did what the people of Costa Rica have done and abolished the army and took pride in the fact that they don’t have an army, and that their country is near the top of the global peace index. Surely that is the way we should be going forward.”"

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6637495/Corbyn-Britain-should-abolish-its-Army.html

You don't have to look to some banana republic to find this.

Iceland has no military budget and no Armed Forced.
  • Options

Classic McDonnell quote.

"It's about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA."
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    I wonder what's next? Pat Doherty as Shadow NI Secretary?

Or maybe Labour will be merging with Sinn Fein as they are now becoming indistinguishable...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

McDonnell.. SWEET JESUS.

Anti Austerity- McDonell Shadow Chancellor was nailed on IMO
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Wow.

This is actually quite sickening.
  • Options
    VAT on Semtex cut ?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Corbyn has appeared as a guest on Russia Today, and in a tweet urged followers to watch the station, arguing it provides a more "objective" coverage of world affairs than Western media."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jeremy-corbyn-putins-latest-useful-idiot-europe-1515028

I urge everyone to watch it too. Nothing to do with it being objective - it's patently not. But neither is our own media. Therefore it represents a useful counterpoint. We don't have to seek out our own propaganda; it's all around us.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082

No, it shows an awful lot about the state of you bunch of buffoons, though. Case closed.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: John McDonnell as shadow chancellor confirms that Corbyn isn't serious. He wants this over as quickly as possible.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

That has to be a joke, there is no way this can actually be being considered by Jezza.

Isn't the point of Ministries that they deal with issues?

So in Corbynistan, Jews are an "issue" that needs dealt with.
    Ok it's been fun up to now but please, please please tell me this is not true. This is beyond the pale it's insane its obscene.

Edit -ethic minorities. Almost as bad really.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    DavidL said:

There really should be a book on what Labour MPs are going to be first to resign the whip. I mean I know we are talking about a group of people who supported Gordon Brown blindly and then thought Ed was a good idea but there must be limits.

I doubt it. These are MPs we are talking about, folk who, with the very rare exceptions, are content to say anything to anyone for the sake of £60+K a year plus expenses. I would offer a modest wager that there will be no defections from Labour in the next 12 months.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited September 2015
    And... that's it. It's truly over for Labour. And the membership is going to increasingly consist of the Corbyn lefties, and there's not going to be a change to the leadership election rules, so there's no turning back. After Corbyn there will be another Corbyn.

The centrist/moderate Labour MPs might as well become independents or form a new party.
  • Options

McDonnell.. SWEET JESUS.

"a wealth tax on the richest 10%,

a Robin Hood tax on financial transactions,

a Land Value tax,

the restoration of progressive income tax of 60% on incomes above £100,000
    For those at the top it means ending the bonuses and limiting high salaries to no more than 20 times the lowest paid in any company or organisation.

For all others it means replacing the minimum wage with a living wage and a living pension and living welfare benefits, reducing the working week to 35 hours, closing the gender pay gap, controlling rents and energy prices, and restoring rights at work"
    http://www.johnmcdonnell.org.uk/2012/05/radical-alternative-to-austerity.html
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850

McDonnell.. SWEET JESUS.

By the way so not blaspheme against JC!!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    "In the words of Tyrion.

"Oh. Fuck. Me!"

Or as they say in the Ministry for Jews 'Oy Vey'....and a Happy New Year
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2015
    Rather surprised he didn't give Diane Abbott a bigger role. It's not like there's many better media performers than her.

Plus, although she can be irritatingly sanctimonious, I don't think she comes across as "demagogic" like some hard-lefties do.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Malhotra would have made more sense.

Eagle has worked for COHSE...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I'm not sure Corbyn will last a week.

There's no point getting rid of him because another leadership election would give the same result. Labour are truly in the mire.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,232
    edited September 2015
    Seema Malhotra?

Last job was apparently Shadow Minister for Preventing Violence Against Women and Girls. Elected in 2011. Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury? Is this a joke?