Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The shadow cabinet reshuffle is becoming interesting

Comments

• DairDair Posts: 6,108

How about a Minister for Beards and then a Minister for Merkins to keep a balance of the sexes?

Your narrow, cisgender biased views on the barbaric patriarchal prevention of female-identifying individuals maintaining facial hair is a disgrace.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087

Will this be the shortest political honeymoon on record?

I don’t think a honeymoon period will even register, - didn’t the polls immediately drop 6 points on the news of a Corbyn victory?
    Polls? Where we're going we don't need polls...
    Just drilling equipment....
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

If the alleged "Minister for Jews" quote is confirmed to have originally come from the Corbyn camp, Labour can probably kiss goodbye to the London mayoralty.

Why?
    I'm guessing many of the residents of Barnet and Camden won't be impressed by it.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited September 2015
    Labour want a friend of Hamas as PM, an IRA supporter as Chancellor and a racist as Communities spokeswoman.

That will be UKIP's pitch across the North of England.
  • corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Just how much fucking acid has the Labour Party dropped???? Corbyn might be teetotal, but he must be sucking on a great big peyote.

It's a horror show. It's like a toddler has found an open gun cabinet.....

Fun isn't it.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    edited September 2015
    I've got to say Roger this is all pretty grim.
    It seems like McDonnell is the man pulling Corbyn's strings.

But Corbyn- I mean going from the leadership contest to sing the Red Flag with a bunch of notrights in some London pub yesterday. I think that is likely to be the high point of his tenure.

My personal honeymoon with Corbyn has lasted...23 hours, so thanks Alex, I've flopped again.
    Roger said:

Every Party's got its headbangers.

What makes Labour different is they've all been appointed to the Shadow cabinet

• The most common comment I got canvassing was they are all the same.

Not now clear water between Tories and a more equal society is on offer while ever Corbyn remains.

Lets see if Labour are wiped out or gain ground as a result of the clear water.

PB Tories are 100% certain the public will not like Jezza policies.

I am not sure which way this will go.

Time will tell.

After today he'll be gone sooner than I could have dreamed of.

• If someone had written a farce about how this would turn out (as it is turning out) it would never have got to be screened as too implausible.,

You know those "Alternate History" type stories?

Suddenly so many of them seem so much more credibly plausible.
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2015

The BBC should empty chair Corbyn and broadcast 10 minutes of silence.

I think Corbyn will simply refuse to appear on any BBC medium whatever they do.
    ITV, C4, LBC will probably be the ones he appears.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Lisa Nandy surely must be in line for one of the top jobs. Possibly Education or Work and Pensions.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    Dair said:

How about a Minister for Beards and then a Minister for Merkins to keep a balance of the sexes?

Your narrow, cisgender biased views on the barbaric patriarchal prevention of female-identifying individuals maintaining facial hair is a disgrace.
    Did we learn nothing from Conchita Wurst?
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Chris Bryant?! Oh my word!
    alex. said:

fitalass said:

Surely he must appoint a Shadow Minister for Defence?

DavidL said:

Maybe Corbyn doesn't think he needs a shadow for defence.

Word is it was supposed to be Chris Bryant, but there's been a hitch.
    fitalass said:

Can anyone confirm this is true, appalling mistake if it is.
    Twitter
    Tom Fenton ‏@TommyF124 3m3 minutes ago
    Corbyn has cancelled his BBC Radio 4 appearance for tomorrow.

Blanking the Beeb? Who does he think he is - Alex Ferguson?
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2015
    Lucy Powell to Education, apparently. Nicky Morgan must be quaking.

Edit: schools 'n' hospitals = jobs for girls. I think a large section of JC's support are going to be rather disappointed by the #everydaysexism of the hard left.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Anyone got a count on London Lefties in the cabinet?
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

SeanT said:

I'm not sure Corbyn will last a week.

There's no point getting rid of him because another leadership election would give the same result. Labour are truly in the mire.
    Would it? MPs might actually use their veto next time.
    Won't they have been substantially corbinised before JC is discarded having fulfilled his useful idiot rôle?
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Jonathan said:

How can you have a shadow minister without a minister to shadow?

Perhaps we need a Shadow Minister for Shadows?
  • @faisalislam: Confirmed: ex Miliband chief of staff Lucy Powell is the new shadow education secretary
  • Maybe he could slot a woman into the shadow minister for making the tea slot.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,997
    JEO said:

Labour want a friend of Hamas as PM, an IRA supporter as Chancellor and a racist as Communities spokeswoman.

That will be UKIP's pitch across the North of England.

Ukip voters might like a racist as Communities spokeswoman.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015
    Artist said:

Lisa Nandy surely must be in line for one of the top jobs. Possibly Education or Work and Pensions.

Well not education. But weren't we told to expect her to make a big splash? Hm.
    This is Jeremy Corbyn, the National Chair of the Stop the War Coalition we are talking about....
    DavidL said:

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

I was joking (I think).
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :smiley:

If someone had written a farce about how this would turn out (as it is turning out) it would never have got to be screened as too implausible.,

You know those "Alternate History" type stories?

Suddenly so many of them seem so much more credibly plausible.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,150
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

If the alleged "Minister for Jews" quote is confirmed to have originally come from the Corbyn camp, Labour can probably kiss goodbye to the London mayoralty.

Why?
    I'm guessing many of the residents of Barnet and Camden won't be impressed by it.
    And on a more serious note, other minorities see I-am-just-against-israel-but-I-seem-to-make-antisemitic-remarks position as meaning I-am-a-really-big-friend-of-one-sub-section-of-one-minority. The one that the other minorities have.... er... doubts about.

Ask the average Thai muslim living in London. He will decode it for you....
    fitalass said:

alex. said:

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

Oh come on. What's your problem now?
    Corbyn would put Rambo as shadow defence secretary and you would still be shocked.
  • SeanT said:

alex. said:

What's left then? Leader of the Commons, Educashun, Transport, Wales, Duchy of Lancaster, Portsmouth

Minister for Furtive Looking Gypsies, and Homos. Perhaps he will combine them with his Ministry for Jews?
    Minister for Thriller Writers?
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited September 2015
    https://twitter.com/DMcCaffreySKY/status/643189708743385088

Arguably the most important appointment given NATO/Trident and he hasn't filled it yet!
  • @faisalislam: Confirmed: ex Miliband chief of staff Lucy Powell is the new shadow education secretary

The same Lucy Powell who wasn't going to serve under Corbyn? The same Lucy Powell who is utterly incompetent and not capable of stringing a coherent sentence together?

Splendid!
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited September 2015
    Speedy said:

LOL that'll do him a lot of good. The BBC has a monopoly in these islands. Perhaps its an astute move to avoid people knowing what's really going on.

If you polled 100 people now, how many out of that 100 would know who the leader of the Labour party was?

This just gets more hilarious

The same Lucy Powell who wasn't going to serve under Corbyn? The same Lucy Powell who is utterly incompetent and not capable of stringing a coherent sentence together?

Splendid!
    Mandy Burnham.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564

@faisalislam: Confirmed: ex Miliband chief of staff Lucy Powell is the new shadow education secretary

Ok, that at least is the first one that I can say with utter seriousness is a terrible appointment. I assume she is really good at some aspects of her job given how useless she is at the media side of it, but the Education brief will surely involve getting in front of a camera quite a bit, and that is just not for her. One of the few politicians who matches how her opponents cariacature her.
    HAHHAHAHAHAHH

Lucy Powell?

Really?

Edit: schools 'n' hospitals = jobs for girls. I think a large section of JC's support are going to be rather disappointed by the #everydaysexism of the hard left.

Agreed.

edited September 2015

The snub to women will be a genuine shock to many who voted for JC. And they will feel bitterly disappointed; betrayed even. But that's the hard left for you. It's very, very male. Almost all the senior Militant figures were blokes; almost all senior trade unionists; and so on.

Is Zoe Williams tweeting currently? She voted for this.

It doesn't look good to have most of the front pages showing Corbyn surrounded by beautiful women and then for him to do what he's done with the shadow cabinet.

http://news.sky.com/gallery/1551904/mondays-newspaper-front-pages
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    People are saying Corbyn will be gone quickly, but how? Corbyn got in with 20% more votes than all the other candidates combined. He won by a landslide in every group. And there has been a surge in Corbynites joining the party since. This is what the Labour Party wants. Any MPs who are horrified are in the wrong party.
    edited September 2015

Speedy said:

LOL that'll do him a lot of good. The BBC has a monopoly in these islands. Perhaps its an astute move to avoid people knowing what's really going on.

If you polled 100 people now, how many out of that 100 would know who the leader of the Labour party was?
    Since when are the only TV channels you are allowed to watch BBC1 & 2 ?
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,809
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Why?
    So the mayoralty is kissed goodbye I see.

Care for an even money small stakes bet the alleged "Minister for Jews" quote isnt in the top 5 issues of London electors next May.

I think your knee may have jerked too jerkily!!

Will the complete works of Russel Brand become compulsory reading in state schools…
    edited September 2015
    Twitter
    Ed Conway ‏@EdConwaySky 2m2 minutes ago
    New shadow chancellor seems to believe Labour should strip Bank of England of its independence http://www.labourbriefing.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=55

louise martin ‏@louisemartin25 18m18 minutes ago
    Some v angry female labour MPs and members on my timeline.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015
    fitalass said:

This is Jeremy Corbyn, the National Chair of the Stop the War Coalition we are talking about....

DavidL said:

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

I was joking (I think).
    In New Zealand, Phil Goff was appointed Minister for Disarmament and Arms Control. Corbyn could try that over here.
    edited September 2015
    kle4 said:

Dair said:

Clearly @TCPoliticalBetting needs to attend a substantial course of re-education Gender Respect and Consideration seminars
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293

The most common comment I got canvassing was they are all the same.

Not now clear water between Tories and a more equal society is on offer while ever Corbyn remains.

Time will tell.

They might like individual policies, but you need have a narrative and win peoples trust that youll manage the economy well. The 'they are all the same' complaint is not new, in fact it is as old as political canvassing.

I am in no doubt that if you could go and canvass people in 1983 you would get a similar complaint.
  • Speedy said:

So why pull out of a commitment? Why not simply turn it down in the first place?
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Time will tell.

I am not so sure Southern. Surprisingly, even Frank Fields seems to be in two minds.

I am not saying Labour is going to win the next election. It wouldn't anyway whatever happens. Labour needs a swing of 10.5% to win.

Would JC do worse than the faceless alternatives - the Tory lites ? I don't know.

I do know that 33% of the electorate did not vote. Can he get 10% of those on board like the SNP did in Scotland ?
  • tyson said:

I've got to say Roger this is all pretty grim.
    It seems like McDonnell is the man pulling Corbyn's strings.

But Corbyn- I mean going from the leadership contest to sing the Red Flag with a bunch of notrights in some London pub yesterday. I think that is likely to be the high point of his tenure.

My personal honeymoon with Corbyn has lasted...23 hours, so thanks Alex, I've flopped again.

Roger said:

Every Party's got its headbangers.

What makes Labour different is they've all been appointed to the Shadow cabinet

The bloke's an unreconstructed 1980's Tribunite. This was always going to happen. His total lack of any kind of nous should surprise no-one. McDonnell as shadow Chancellor is a masterstroke of stupidity straight out of the hard left playbook. And women in the most important jobs? Don't be stupid; put the kettle on, luv.

• glwglw Posts: 9,548

@faisalislam: Confirmed: ex Miliband chief of staff Lucy Powell is the new shadow education secretary

He must be scraping the barrel, I wonder how many MPs have said no?

Speedy said:

It's a cunning plan to rid the BBC of accusations of Tory Bias.
    glw said:

He must be scraping the barrel, I wonder how many MPs have said no?
    He's got a team of Shadow junior ministers to appoint yet!
    edited September 2015

Splendid!
    This is actually the most WTF moment so far.

I'm not sure who it reflects worse on - Powell or Corbyn. Whichever, it is bizarre and ridiculous.
  • Dair said:

I plead guilty.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,072
    Speedy said:

fitalass said:

alex. said:

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

Oh come on. What's your problem now?
    Corbyn would put Rambo as shadow defence secretary and you would still be shocked.
    Well, wouldn't you be? Not quite his style is it?

Perhaps the problem with Bryant is that he still thinks we should have some. If only for the employment.
    RE; the great Labour re-shuffle

This is similar to how Manchester Utd felt after the Munich Air Crash.

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,072
    Dair said:

Splendid!

I'm not sure who it reflects worse on - Powell or Corbyn. Whichever, it is bizarre and ridiculous.
    It is ridiculous of course but the McDonnell appointment is the one that will destroy him.
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Since Corbyn took us back to the mid-Seventies....
  • Dair said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

Clearly @TCPoliticalBetting needs to attend a substantial course of re-education Gender Respect and Consideration seminars
    What's wrong with men wearing a merkin?
    Just two EM shadow cabinet ministers appointed so far, Seema Malhotra and Diane Abbott.
    Has Dennis Skinner got a job yet..
    Labourlist: Angela Eagle, promoted, maria Eagle... out!
    edited September 2015
    Lucy Powell on Ed's Stone:
    “I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the fact that he’s carved them into stone means, you know, means that he will absolutely, you know, not going to break them or anything like that.”
  • a more equal society is on offer while ever Corbyn remains.

I think you mean 'facile soundbites about a more equal society' are on offer.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    edited September 2015
    After canceling Marr, and now Today, what are the odds he wont appear at PMQs?

Cam must be pinching himself.
    fitalass said:

DavidL said:

Why ? He will just put out a statement Labour will not renew Trident. As regarding cuts, it is the Tories who are cutting Defence big time. Another 20%, I hear.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,150
    SeanT said:

JEO said:

People are saying Corbyn will be gone quickly, but how? Corbyn got in with 20% more votes than all the other candidates combined. He won by a landslide in every group. And there has been a surge in Corbynites joining the party since. This is what the Labour Party wants. Any MPs who are horrified are in the wrong party.

Judging by this calamitous and hilarious Shadow Cabinet formation, the point is: politics sometimes doesn't need rules or regimens. You can just be so horrifically bad at your job that you know you have to quit, and there it is, as all your important colleagues despise you.

It is very possible, I'd say, that Corbyn could reach that stage quite soon. Perhaps before Christmas, certainly within 18 months, unless he shapes up dramatically. No Labour leader could - for instance - continue in the job if all his MPs were openly laughing at him in the Commons, and talking over his speeches.
    I think you don't understand the persistent bloody mindedness of the old hard left. The people are wrong - they need to be abolished....
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    alex. said:

kle4 said:

I don't really know McDonell other than the IRA comments, is he really that bad? It's hard to believe he could be worse than Corbyn after being told how bad Corbyn is supposed to be.

I think he comes across ok on TV.
    He does porn?

HAHHAHAHAHAHH

Lucy Powell?

Really?

Funniest appointment so far.
    Apparently the Barrow MP is going to be Shadow Sec for DWP? wtf? Is Labour coming out in favour of Trident Renewal? (i think that might have explained the potential Bryant appt and why he is struggling to fill it)
  • John Woodcock at Work and Pensions? Does that sound likely to anyone?

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

I thought ITV existed back then.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954
    surbiton said:

fitalass said:

DavidL said:

Why ? He will just put out a statement Labour will not renew Trident. As regarding cuts, it is the Tories who are cutting Defence big time. Another 20%, I hear.
    Pretty sure there is more to defence than just Trident. Jeez!
    edited September 2015

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

No, in the seventies, we had a woman leading the shadow cabinet.
    edited September 2015
    This week's More or Less refuted the idea that Labour can win by attempting to get non-voters to vote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06950lm
    surbiton said:

Time will tell.

I am not so sure Southern. Surprisingly, even Frank Fields seems to be in two minds.

I am not saying Labour is going to win the next election. It wouldn't anyway whatever happens. Labour needs a swing of 10.5% to win.

Would JC do worse than the faceless alternatives - the Tory lites ? I don't know.

I do know that 33% of the electorate did not vote. Can he get 10% of those on board like the SNP did in Scotland ?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Note that John McDonnell is 64. Corbyn is 66.

So 69 and 71 respectively in 2020.
    Anna Yearley @AnnaYearley
    Jeremy Corbyn's first PLP will be interesting. In my 12 yrs of attending them not sure I ever saw him at one.

Lucy Powell MP
    @LucyMPowell
    @AnnaYearley I have never, ever met or spoken to him. At PLP, in Chamber, in voting lobbies, tea rooms, library, anywhere ...
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

It did - I remember the wheel tappers and shunters social club, and Ena Sharples
    tyson said:

If you've got a pair of boots, you're in the squad.....
  • tyson said:

Four months ago in a pub in Broxtowe, you, Roger, Nick Palmer, Tissue Price, Pulpstar and I were discussing politics.

Not one of us could have predicted any of this.

John Woodcock at Work and Pensions? Does that sound likely to anyone?

Or Defence.
    Seems there won't be any by-election then.
  • SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Dair said:

Splendid!

It is ridiculous of course but the McDonnell appointment is the one that will destroy him.
    Yep. Absolutely poisonous. I've read several articles by insiders saying that Corbyn's association with McDonnell was the clinching factor. If Corbyn kept him on: implosion.

He hasn't just kept him on, he's made him Shadow Chancellor.
    That's leadership. Corbyn hasn't bowed to the wets.
  • Speedy said:

WTF are you on, Bern? What about ITV? What about C4? C5? All the Freeview channels?
    RobD said:

He could and should make a statement out of PMQs.

He should ask:

1. That the PM must give a straight answer to a straight question. No evasion.

2. The Mob culture must end from all sides.

The Tories and the Speaker will almost certainly refuse. Corbyn will say he will not participate then.

The idea that the shouting and jeering is hugely popular with the public is actually misplaced. The public also wants to hear a clear answer to a clear question.

The PMQ did not start with Magna Carta or 1832. It only started in the 50s. So no great tradition.
    edited September 2015
    James Cook
    @JamesLiamCook
    James Liam Cook announced as new Shadow Defence Secretary

Who is he?
    It's not the opinion polls; Corbyn's shadow cabinet prove that he is just incapable of doing politics. You just cannot alienate everyone and get away with it. Thatcher and Blair- both winners of 3 elections got knee capped- Corbyn has pointed the shot gun at his own head and is waiting for someone to pull the trigger.
    surbiton said:

Time will tell.

edited September 2015
    DavidL said:

Dair said:

Splendid!

Probably true. But then Corbyn is always going to fail because he's a socialist muppet with delusional ideas. He was always going to appoint the likes of McDonnell who were always going to take the job.

The difference with the Powell appointment is that it undermines him with his own support base.

It's not defensible in any way.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,809
    Lucy cant string a sentence together to shadow Nicky can string a sentence together rather than Liz Truss shocking!!
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,767
    edited September 2015

Time will tell.

Are we getting the first rumblings of:

JCICIPM Vs JCWNBPM?
    He hasn't just got to get the non-voters to vote, he is going to lose loads of moderate Labour voters who will not vote or vote LD.. They are fecked which ever way you like to try and work the numbers.
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

But nobody you knew admitted watching it....
    Twitter
    George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 3m3 minutes ago
    As midnight approaches, still no shadow defence secretary. Clearly struggling to bridge gap between Corbyn and others.

James Cook
    @JamesLiamCook

Who is he?

I can't find him on wiki - can anyone help?
  • surbiton said:

RobD said:

He could and should make a statement out of PMQs.

He should ask:

1. That the PM must give a straight answer to a straight question. No evasion.

2. The Mob culture must end from all sides.

The Tories and the Speaker will almost certainly refuse. Corbyn will say he will not participate then.

The idea that the shouting and jeering is hugely popular with the public is actually misplaced. The public also wants to hear a clear answer to a clear question.

The PMQ did not start with Magna Carta or 1832. It only started in the 50s. So no great tradition.
    If Corbyn doesn't want to hold the PM to account in the Chamber, so be it. Other MPs can have more time.

There is only 1 loser there.
  • SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Dair said:

Splendid!

Yep. Absolutely poisonous. I've read several articles by insiders saying that Corbyn's association with McDonnell was the clinching factor. If Corbyn kept him on: implosion.

He hasn't just kept him on, he's made him Shadow Chancellor.
    There is something of the irresistable force meeting the immovable object about all of Corbyn's leadership so far. I hadn't taken seriously the possibility of a split until now but his behaviour is so brazen that you could well understand MPs wondering why it's worth their while remaining with a party that cares neither for their efforts or for the public.

James Cook
    @JamesLiamCook

Who is he?

Isn't he a journalist ?
    edited September 2015
    alex. said:

James Cook
    @JamesLiamCook

Who is he?

I can't find him on wiki - can anyone help?
    I can't find him either, is he an MP at all or is this a joke?
    Edit... it is a joke.
  • There is something of the irresistable force meeting the immovable object about all of Corbyn's leadership so far. I hadn't taken seriously the possibility of a split until now but his behaviour is so brazen that you could well understand MPs wondering why it's worth their while remaining with a party that cares neither for their efforts or for the public.

My thoughts exactly.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,997

James Cook
    @JamesLiamCook

Who is he?

Er everyone, it's a joke. Ironic if PB Tories need humour transplant on funniest day ever
    Twitter
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 1h1 hour ago
    It'll take journalists a few days, but once they've been through John McDonnell's back-catalogue, the Labour Party will be a smoking ruin.

Dair said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

What's wrong with men wearing a merkin?
    By enhancing their genital region and calling attention to it they are oppressing non-cisgendered male individuals with their patriarchal display of phallic dominance.