Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An authoritarian Tory government will undo Cameron’s early

Comments

• On the gender balance thing, if you make that sort of promise, then have the stones to back it up.

He's been a cypher, a blank canvas on which a few tens of thousands of people painted their own image of what they wanted.

And he's fundamentally incapable of delivering any of it.

:popcorn:
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676
    Scott_P said:

So you're denying that 'Scottish thugs' are not thugs? Are Scottish thugs some form of enlightened higher life form in your mind?

Depends if they voted Yes or No...
    JJ you are now really lost , you have cockroaches rushing to support you , bigotry rules.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    watford30 said:

Am just watching the Corbyn long walk to silence video.

Blimey.

Whining that a naturally inquisitive and questioning media are 'bothering him'. Extraordinary.

Strange, crazy, angry man. He'll lose it soon, and publicly.
    Spot on. He's already lost it on TV a few weeks back, people with tempers like that can only keep it in check pro tem, sooner or later he will lose it and big-time, its a smouldering volcano. Ladbrokes should have a book on how many days before he really loses his temper..
  • Off-topic:

This website is interesting:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Currently wind is generating 3% of power, nuclear 19%, gas 45%, and coal 21%

Long live the wind revolution!

The wind doesn't blow all the time, are you watching the meters to see when the wind results are low so you can post here?
    Of course the wind doesn't blow all the time: that's exactly the point. As well as wind power getting high subsidies, the gas and coal station need to be ready to take the strain when the wind doesn't blow. And that costs even more: the power stations aren't kept open on the vain puffery of greenies, but on vast amounts of money from consumers.

And I had the tab open from the other day, and I just noticed it. I doubt people would be very interested in hearing about the latest developments in the roll-out of ERTMS, which is in one of my other tabs. :)

But just in case they are:
    http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/08/28/ertms-a-reality-check/

:)
    Maybe quoting average wind power contirbution would be more factual:
    http://www.siemens.co.uk/en/insights/uk-wind-power.htm
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

So you're denying that 'Scottish thugs' are not thugs? Are Scottish thugs some form of enlightened higher life form in your mind?

I enjoyed Wings over Bath's delicious meltdown at being airbrushed from the Sunday Herald's 1 year anniversary of the glorious defeat. Included his analysis of polls before and after the publishing of his much discredited "little blue book" .

Nice to see you are an avid reader
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Miss Plato, quite.

Moments later he conceded that if Farage had said something dodgy 3 years ago they (the press) would be all over it, and that was a fair point.

Cameron gets stick for decisions his parents made 30+ years ago.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited September 2015
    isam said:

I can't help thinking the next Labour leader will be Chuka Umunna or Stella Creasy...

Someone who hasn't run before
    BAME or female

Creasy perhaps. Umunna has ended looking ridiculous that he's resigned over EU membership and not over printing money to fund government or ending austerity.
  • Am just watching the Corbyn long walk to silence video.

Blimey.

Eventually, Mr Corbyn said to a staffer: "There are people bothering me."

It's very North Korean.

?
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I heard that intv and hadn't a clue what he was talking about. Now it makes sense.
    Scott_P said:

@PeterMannionMP: John McDonnell reminds media "I was Chancellor of the Exchequer for London" a.k.a. GLC Chair of Finance, sacked by Ken Livingstone! #corbyn

• DearPBDearPB Posts: 439

Blimey.

It's very North Korean.

I actually began to feel sorry for him; what is going on inside his head as that happens?
  • Mr. Flashman (deceased), well, quite. But then, he's an evil baby-eating Tory.
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    TGOHF said:

Miss Plato, quite.

Moments later he conceded that if Farage had said something dodgy 3 years ago they (the press) would be all over it, and that was a fair point.

Not anymore. Corbyn's parents did the same for him.
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

I enjoyed Wings over Bath's delicious meltdown at being airbrushed from the Sunday Herald's 1 year anniversary of the glorious defeat. Included his analysis of polls before and after the publishing of his much discredited "little blue book" .

Relaxing with some humorous fiction is ideal for rainy weekends malc.

Blimey.

It's very North Korean.

?
    http://news.sky.com/story/1552000/labour-leader-corbyns-long-walk-of-silence
    watford30 said:

Blimey.

Whining that a naturally inquisitive and questioning media are 'bothering him'. Extraordinary.

Strange, crazy, angry man. He'll lose it soon, and publicly. Particularly as by choosing to ignore the press, they pick away at him until he does.
    You are barking , "a naturally inquisitive and questioning media" is the best parody I have ever seen on here.
    malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

Strange, crazy, angry man. He'll lose it soon, and publicly. Particularly as by choosing to ignore the press, they pick away at him until he does.
    You are barking , "a naturally inquisitive and questioning media" is the best parody I have ever seen on here.
    Corbyn's mistake was walking.

He should follow Sturgeons lead and take a helicopter ride everywhere.
  • Mr. Flashman (deceased), relaxing with humorous fiction is a splendid idea ;)
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited September 2015

Miss Plato, quite.

Watch the first two minutes of this and bear in mind that the person (john linden Sullivan) was never a councillor, didn't end up standing for ukip as he was sacked before the election for his comments and thst the comments were made a year before this interview

The most disingenuous questioning I've ever seen. And people are calling him the new Paxman??

http://youtu.be/-pyYoL9ngtE
    The scrolling table at the top has a running list of appts so far http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11863014/jeremy-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-live.html
    SandraM said:

Has Cat Smith been offered anything yet in the Shadow Cabinet?

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

If you were not an emigrant you could have been out in the sunshine.
  • watford30 said:

Blimey.

He has not had a great 24 hours. McDonnell is just an extraordinary appointment, while the non-women in top jobs decision will cost him a lot of goodwill internally.

The thing about Corbyn is that people have projected their hopes onto him. But he has very definite views and is used to dong things in a certain way. Thus, even when putting his record and friends to one side, it can only end in tears.

And today I dare to dream that this may happen sooner than I could possibly have dreamed on Saturday.

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

Barking and envious
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @politicshome: John McDonnell on Sky News: I can be trusted with the economy http://t.co/vfTs3m2a5A (£)

This guy...

Tony McNulty ‏@Tony_McNulty
    McDonnell was Varoufakis to Livingstone's Tsipras at GLC 81-85 - with same outcome - sacked as Chair of Finance cos wanted illegal budget

Blimey.

It's very North Korean.

?
    I saw the walk, just can't fathom what it has to do with North Korea
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,096
    edited September 2015
    Corbynomics on Skt News at 10.30 h Can it Work?

Hoping for Professor Lord Sir Richard Murphy and an economist.
  • Finally got around to watching the "walk of Silence" video. Extraordinary. It is reminiscent of the kind of thing you see when some politician has been embroiled in a major scandal. Barely 24 hours into his new job and he can't handle the press/take the pressure? Did he never consider that becoming LOTO might involve quite a lot of that sort of thing?
    I did enjoy the post-rationalisation of it - DfiD, Health and Educ are really more important than CoE, Home and FSec as it's about the childreeennn.

On the gender balance thing, if you make that sort of promise, then have the stones to back it up.

He's been a cypher, a blank canvas on which a few tens of thousands of people painted their own image of what they wanted.

And he's fundamentally incapable of delivering any of it.

:popcorn:

• Off-topic:

This website is interesting:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Currently wind is generating 3% of power, nuclear 19%, gas 45%, and coal 21%

Long live the wind revolution!

The wind doesn't blow all the time, are you watching the meters to see when the wind results are low so you can post here?
    Of course the wind doesn't blow all the time: that's exactly the point. As well as wind power getting high subsidies, the gas and coal station need to be ready to take the strain when the wind doesn't blow. And that costs even more: the power stations aren't kept open on the vain puffery of greenies, but on vast amounts of money from consumers.

And I had the tab open from the other day, and I just noticed it. I doubt people would be very interested in hearing about the latest developments in the roll-out of ERTMS, which is in one of my other tabs. :)

But just in case they are:
    http://www.railengineer.uk/2015/08/28/ertms-a-reality-check/

:)
    Maybe quoting average wind power contirbution would be more factual:
    http://www.siemens.co.uk/en/insights/uk-wind-power.htm
    It's another nugget of information, but also one that ignores the point I'm making. And are you accusing the gridwatch website of being non-factual?
  • TOPPING said:

@TheScreamingEagles

If Dave engages in so much as a smidge of bonhomie or smiles at all at any time unless it is laughing at, not with Jezza on Wednesday at midday I might resign from the Conservative Party.

No Dave has to play it nice with Corbyn on Wednesday. Has to welcome to his role.
    Corbyn is after all the fifth Labour leader he has faced across the despatch box.....
  • SandraMSandraM Posts: 206

The scrolling table at the top has a running list of appts so far http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11863014/jeremy-corbyn-shadow-cabinet-live.html

SandraM said:

Has Cat Smith been offered anything yet in the Shadow Cabinet?

Thanks, Plato. But it was intended more as a rhetorical question in view of her appalling performance on "Newsnight."

• FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Fat_Steve said:

"An authoritarian Tory government will undo Cameron’s early work" ?
    Possibly. Luckily, we have the opposition to hold them to account.

Actually, this is the major problem with this hijacking of the main (formerly) centre-left party. It's left Cameron with no opposition so he can do anything he wants. Which isn't good, really.
    It isn't - but it's a bit rich of Henry to blame the tories for Labours own crass stupidity.
  • DearPBDearPB Posts: 439
    watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

Actually there's a serious point there. We complain that our politicians are dislocated from ordinary life, that they are cocooned in chauffeured cars and indeed helicopters, but the truth is if they try and get a bus or walk someone from Sky is going to walk alongside them asking the questions.

He should have stopped turned to the camera and said:

"I've had a very long day and would like to get home to bed, I'm sure you would too. I'll be happy to answer questions - contact my office and make an appointment"
    DearPB said:

He should have stopped turned to the camera and said:

"I've had a very long day and would like to get home to bed, I'm sure you would too. I'll be happy to answer questions - contact my office and make an appointment"

Yes, he should. But he didn't. And that's news.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ha Ha Ha , game over when you are using the Mail as your evidence. Poor billionaire gets upset that a few people have placards outside his house , but JJ happy that he can sack hundreds without giving a hoot and wants to restrict the workers from having any say whatsoever.

Thugs are thugs. Even if they are union thugs or Scottish thugs.
    You last bit is very telling, sore loser you resort to your bigotry. I presume you had their nationality checked out.

Or are they just lowlife scum, just like English or Welsh thugs?
    I just wondered why you highlighted "Scottish Thugs" all of a sudden when it was never in the discussion. We were talking about people with placards and had never mentioned nationality. From what I saw of the "incident " a few people with placards were on the pavement and did very little so not sure that makes them "THUGS" but even so to get that to "Scottish THUGS " takes some doing even for you.
    Malc, you've obviously missed the many times on here that I've mentioned my love for Scotland and the Scottish people. Something that I doubt you've said about England, the English or particularly London.

And are you saying there are no such things as 'Scottish thugs' ?
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Roger said:

Henry does draw attention to one very important issue facing left of centre voters. Just because Corbyn is a disaster we shouldn't lose sight of the increasing ghastliness of the Conservatives and Cameron in particular. A real case of a trojan horse.
    The thing Henry hasn't got round to yet for reason's explained by Eagle is where normal left of centre voters are supposed to go. We're faced with ugly right-wingery not seen since Thatcher or the equally ugly Union led left wingery not seen since Benn.

You might like to have a look at what other parties have to offer, Roger. The Lib Dem Conference starts on Saturday - though it probably won´t have as much media coverage as it did last year.
    Perhaps an unfortunate turn of phrase...

@carolewalkercw: John McDonnell vows to calm his critics. Tells me "we will kill them with kindness"

@IsabelHardman: DUP furious over McDonnell appointment - could increase Cameron’s majority http://t.co/26REmIjIwT
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    It was on these pages only a few days ago that Mr. Stodge opined it was perfectly possible that Corbyn might tack to the right and reach accommodation with the bulk of his MPs.

I think with the appointment of McDonnell as shadow chancellor we can safely kick that notion into touch.
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2015

Blimey.

It's very North Korean.

?

Corbyn has never faced real challenge to his beliefs and has therefore built-up a false ego of his own superiority.

Now, when facing legitimate questions, his response is to attempt to "eliminate" the questioners rather than answer the questions.

Very authoritarian; like N Korea.

• Scott_P said:

@carolewalkercw: John McDonnell vows to calm his critics. Tells me "we will kill them with kindness"

@IsabelHardman: DUP furious over McDonnell appointment - could increase Cameron’s majority http://t.co/26REmIjIwT

Cameron should strike a 24 month deal with the DUP, IMHO. He could use the votes.
    edited September 2015
    The standard of rebuttal from Corbynistas on Twitter to almost any criticism is either rightwing press smear or toff Cameron went to Eton.

And in more popcorn news

Sophy Ridge @SophyRidgeSky
    Hearing that Jeremy Corbyn has said different things to different MPs about his position on staying in the EU
    watford30 said:

TGOHF said:

Miss Plato, quite.

Not anymore. Corbyn's parents did the same for him.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995
    JEO said:

isam said:

I can't help thinking the next Labour leader will be Chuka Umunna or Stella Creasy...

BAME or female

Creasy perhaps. Umunna has ended looking ridiculous that he's resigned over EU membership and not over printing money to fund government or ending austerity.
    I don't think it'll be remembered, unless the inevitable happens before 2018. I feel he'll have a much better chance 10-15 years down the line though. You can laugh now, but by that point he'll be a party grandee/big beast. More curious were the wobbles about entering the contest at all and the slew of rumour and speculation about his personal life.

My guess is (don't laugh) Tristram Hunt for next leader.
  • his response is to attempt to "eliminate" the questioners rather answer the questions.

Were the questioners fed to dogs or mortared to death?

• Scott_P said:

Cameron should strike a 24 month deal with the DUP, IMHO. He could use the votes.
    Hard to lecture Corbyn on shady friends if he does.
    Heart of stone...

@rosschawkins: Margaret Beckett to @BBCDerby on nominating Corbyn: I probably regard it as one of the biggest political mistakes I've ever made
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    edited September 2015
    Roger said:

Klee

"That you continue to say we are doing nothing re refugees undermines any point you may have. It simply isn't true".

I don't have English TV here in France only radio and I harfdly hear a word about the refugee crisis. By contrast switch on any station here and it's wall to wall. I think this explains why Britain can announce it'll take 10,000 Syrians over five years and seemingly reasonable people like yourself don't see anything wrong.

I am happy for us to take more refugees - my point is that we are not doing nothing (you ignore the money we put into the camps), that is simply a falsehood. One can argue we are not doing enough, that is a fair debate, but it is a lie, an outright lie, to say it is nothing.
  • PClipp said:

Roger said:

Henry does draw attention to one very important issue facing left of centre voters. Just because Corbyn is a disaster we shouldn't lose sight of the increasing ghastliness of the Conservatives and Cameron in particular. A real case of a trojan horse.
    The thing Henry hasn't got round to yet for reason's explained by Eagle is where normal left of centre voters are supposed to go. We're faced with ugly right-wingery not seen since Thatcher or the equally ugly Union led left wingery not seen since Benn.

You might like to have a look at what other parties have to offer, Roger. The Lib Dem Conference starts on Saturday - though it probably won´t have as much media coverage as it did last year.

I will be watching closely. If I am wrong and Corbyn is there for the long term the LDs could find that they benefit considerably.

• I can't help thinking that the big challenge for Corbyn is not going to be the past but going forward. Every political party needs people with political savvy and key skills such as:

- dealing with the media
    - developing policy
    - giving speeches
    - managing colleagues and party members

A large number of people with this experience are walking out the door. The new team both in the shadow cabinet and in the back office is likely to have lots of inexperienced people, who will almost certainly make rookie mistakes or "gaffes"

The challenges will be how to get a new team up to speed quickly and how to deal with the people outside the tent peeing in otherwise we will see a lot of headlines along the lines of "Labour in chaos" and "Labour split on x"
    DearPB said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

That's why party leaders and senior politicians have official cars. So they can go home if they're knackered without facing the media.

One wonders if Corbyn put any thought into what the top job entailed.

''DUP furious over McDonnell appointment - could increase Cameron’s majority http://t.co/26REmIjIwT''

Almost as furious as labour MPs, I imagine.

Blimey.

It's very North Korean.

?

Corbyn has never faced real challenge to his beliefs and has therefore built-up a false ego of his own superiority.

Now, when facing legitimate questions, his response is to attempt to "eliminate" the questioners rather than answer the questions.

i shall await the executions and the locking up of their family members
  • Wonder if Corbyn's had the inevitable moment yet of sitting in a chair, staring blankly into the middle distance and saying to himself 'What have I done?'
    That's a great description of it.
    LucyJones said:

Finally got around to watching the "walk of Silence" video. Extraordinary. It is reminiscent of the kind of thing you see when some politician has been embroiled in a major scandal. Barely 24 hours into his new job and he can't handle the press/take the pressure? Did he never consider that becoming LOTO might involve quite a lot of that sort of thing?

• his response is to attempt to "eliminate" the questioners rather answer the questions.

Were the questioners fed to dogs or mortared to death?

Don't give him ideas! :smile:

Same attitude, different scale.
    malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

If you were not an emigrant you could have been out in the sunshine.
    Actually I am making a pilgrimage to the motherland this weekend - shall raise a glass at not having to show a passport at the border.
    ''Hard to lecture Corbyn on shady friends if he does.''

What an idiotic post. Ulster unionist MPs are democratically elected British politicians, accountable to our law and their electorates.
  • Ghedebrav said:

JEO said:

isam said:

BAME or female

I don't think it'll be remembered, unless the inevitable happens before 2018. I feel he'll have a much better chance 10-15 years down the line though. You can laugh now, but by that point he'll be a party grandee/big beast. More curious were the wobbles about entering the contest at all and the slew of rumour and speculation about his personal life.

No chance given the current membership.

Like it or not, from now on, the most left wing canditate will be the winner.
  • watford30 said:

DearPB said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

Or has even had Media training?

Perhaps NPexMP can clarify whether that's something back benchers get.....?

Blimey.

It's very North Korean.

?

Hmmm. He is inept and totally out of his depth, but I doubt he'll be ordering the elimination of any journalists.

Wonder if Corbyn's had the inevitable moment yet of sitting in a chair, staring blankly into the middle distance and saying to himself 'What have I done?'

No. He's too egotistical.

Blimey.

It's very North Korean.

?

i shall await the executions and the locking up of their family members

Well we must work hard to ensure he never gets to a position of power where he can get away with that.

• Ma Beckett (one of Corbyn's nominators) suffering buyer's remorse: I probably regard it as one of the biggest political mistakes I've ever made."

watford30 said:

DearPB said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

I hope Corbyn can reach some sort of equilibrium with the realities of the job and the lack of preparedness for that aspect of politics. I do not share hsi views on so many things, and I think he much vaunted 'difference' is not as stark as his supporters project (and as pointed out many times, merely having principles is no good if those principles are not shared by the public in certain areas), but it'll be an interesting experience to see if he can blossom in the role. He never thought eh could win, and probably had moments of doubt about whether he should even do this, but pushed through it to seize the moment, and it would be amazing ifg he could pull it off even further.
    Many of the staffers at LHQ are leaving - there are very few if any Shadow Mins who aren't being replaced.

The general view is that Team Corbyn will want their own sort in place instead - so a large chunk of procedural/expert knowledge is walking out the door.

Not sending out a good wishes message on Jewish NY is just one example. I am giving the benefit of the doubt to cock-up rather than intent here.

I can't help thinking that the big challenge for Corbyn is not going to be the past but going forward. Every political party needs people with political savvy and key skills such as:

- dealing with the media
    - developing policy
    - giving speeches
    - managing colleagues and party members

A large number of people with this experience are walking out the door. The new team both in the shadow cabinet and in the back office is likely to have lots of inexperienced people, who will almost certainly make rookie mistakes or "gaffes"

The challenges will be how to get a new team up to speed quickly and how to deal with the people outside the tent peeing in otherwise we will see a lot of headlines along the lines of "Labour in chaos" and "Labour split on x"

One of the many, many things I am looking forward to in the next couple of years is Sadiq Khan being asked his view on the inevitable next round of RMT tube strikes.
  • Scott_P said:

No need for a formal deal. If push comes to shove and their votes are needed I'm sore ad hoc arrangements can be made. There is no way the DUP are going to want to give a victory to Corbyn and McDonnell so even an ad hoc arrangement may be unnecessary.
  • SandraMSandraM Posts: 206

watford30 said:

DearPB said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

Lord Harris, who worked with Corbyn at the London Assembly, described Corbyn as "charming but not terribly organised."

• I wonder when footage of Corbyn appearing on a platform with Tony Blair will emerge...
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    glw said:

TOPPING said:

alex. said:

Hilary Benn pointedly failing to support appointment of MCDonell

Elements of distress in his voice. He evidently realises and for some reason is shocked that his party has descended into Uni bar politics.

I can hear the nausea in his voice. He must also be aware that every word he utters helps to destroy his credibility and political career.
    Hilary Benn had seemed to be a basically decent man, I'm surprised he's having anything to do with this farce.
    So am I. Am also surprised by Falconer. He has a very well paid job at a US law firm. Why would he need the grief?

• William_H said:

Scott_P said:

Hard to lecture Corbyn on shady friends if he does.
    Politicians do deals to get the votes they need. That's politics.

All the contentious Tory bills will probably have to be passed by the Commons twice, because the Lords will 'find' a reason to boot them out once they arrive there. So a deal (formal or informal) is important.
    The Guardian described Tristram Hunt/the ultimate Blairite as the equivalent of Cecil the Lion when it came to Corbynista big game hunting.

Ghedebrav said:

JEO said:

isam said:

BAME or female

Like it or not, from now on, the most left wing canditate will be the winner.
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

alex. said:

Elements of distress in his voice. He evidently realises and for some reason is shocked that his party has descended into Uni bar politics.

I can hear the nausea in his voice. He must also be aware that every word he utters helps to destroy his credibility and political career.
    Hilary Benn had seemed to be a basically decent man, I'm surprised he's having anything to do with this farce.
    So am I. Am also surprised by Falconer. He has a very well paid job at a US law firm. Why would he need the grief?

It's that party loyalty, and the belief that they/he can ensure any problems are managable or resolved. They might be wrong, there might not be problems (seems unlikely, though possible), or they cannot fix them, but I guess they feel it's worth a shot.
  • kle4 said:

watford30 said:

DearPB said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

I hope Corbyn can reach some sort of equilibrium with the realities of the job and the lack of preparedness for that aspect of politics.
    Personally one does not wish him ill - but in facing up to the challenges of such a job a well developed 'hinterland' is surely key - from what I've read (mainly from his first wife, who cannot be an unbiased source) - that sounds unlikely - there (then) was nothing outside 'politics' to the man......
    He was incredibly dull and worthy when I met him. A sort of permanent world weary headshaking manner.
    SandraM said:

watford30 said:

DearPB said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Blimey.

Lord Harris, who worked with Corbyn at the London Assembly, described Corbyn as "charming but not terribly organised."

• Blimey, HenryG is in a bad way, which is understandable I guess. This article, in all its wrong-headedness, is actually a very good indicator of what a complete mess Labour are it - a mess of which Corbyn is a symptom, not a primary cause.

Still, the article was a good laugh. I particularly enjoyed the attack on Cameron for calling Corbyn 'a threat to national security'. Err, Henry, has it not occurred to you that the reason we don't expect a Prime Minister to use language like that about the Leader of the Opposition is that this is the first Leader of the Opposition in living memory about whom it's an entirely reasonable thing to say?
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 2,995

Ghedebrav said:

JEO said:

isam said:

BAME or female

Like it or not, from now on, the most left wing candidate will be the winner.
    You know, you're absolutely right. The mechanics of election could very well destroy the party. I'm starting to wonder if a split could happen, eventually. I mean, if your leadership election is a dominated and controlled by the far left (I can't imagine it will stop being), what is the point of being a moderate centrist in the Labour party? The only thing I can think of as a slight pressure valve is the process for candidate nomination - but even there, there'll likely be a concentration of support around a single anointed far left successor.

Phew. Dark times indeed for the centre left.
    I can't fathom that at all - he was BFF with Tony. And didn't he *sanction* the Iraq War decision?
    Cyclefree said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

alex. said:

• TOPPING said:

@TheScreamingEagles

If Dave engages in so much as a smidge of bonhomie or smiles at all at any time unless it is laughing at, not with Jezza on Wednesday at midday I might resign from the Conservative Party.

No Dave has to play it nice with Corbyn on Wednesday. Has to welcome to his role.
    I'm not sure he has to play it nice, though he does have to play it straight and civil. It would be a mistake to go for the man when it's so easily (and proper) to play the ball.
    I wonder if that supposedly shrewd, savvy political operator Tom Watson agreed with the appointment of McDonnell as shadow chancellor.

Stroke of genius

I can't fathom that at all - he was BFF with Tony. And didn't he *sanction* the Iraq War decision?

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

alex. said:

It's about not abandoning the Party to the hard left loons.

TOPPING said:

@TheScreamingEagles

I'm not sure he has to play it nice, though he does have to play it straight and civil. It would be a mistake to go for the man when it's so easily (and proper) to play the ball.
    Given recent events, surely the metaphor would be more appropriate to say Cameron would/should use a drone to take out the entire stadium?
  • TOPPING said:

@TheScreamingEagles

Dave is the nice guy who lets others do the dirty work.

It was Fallon who said Ed Miliband would stab the country in the back just like he did his brother.
  • taffys said:

I wonder if that supposedly shrewd, savvy political operator Tom Watson agreed with the appointment of McDonnell as shadow chancellor.

Stroke of genius

For Watson to pick up the pieces when Corbyn crash and burns..sure.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Ha Ha Ha , game over when you are using the Mail as your evidence. Poor billionaire gets upset that a few people have placards outside his house , but JJ happy that he can sack hundreds without giving a hoot and wants to restrict the workers from having any say whatsoever.

You last bit is very telling, sore loser you resort to your bigotry. I presume you had their nationality checked out.

I just wondered why you highlighted "Scottish Thugs" all of a sudden when it was never in the discussion. We were talking about people with placards and had never mentioned nationality. From what I saw of the "incident " a few people with placards were on the pavement and did very little so not sure that makes them "THUGS" but even so to get that to "Scottish THUGS " takes some doing even for you.
    Malc, you've obviously missed the many times on here that I've mentioned my love for Scotland and the Scottish people. Something that I doubt you've said about England, the English or particularly London.

JJ, I have not missed it and of course a Scottish thug is no better than any other nationality of thug. I just wonder how you got from pickets as thugs to them being Scottish thugs. Why did you bring up "Scottish", you never mentioned that in your replies to others.

taffys said:

Stroke of genius

For Watson to pick up the pieces when Corbyn crash and burns..sure.
    Tom Watson, Prime Minister?
  • I can't fathom that at all - he was BFF with Tony. And didn't he *sanction* the Iraq War decision?

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

alex. said:

No he didn't. You're thinking about Lord Goldsmith
  • Justine Greening for next Prime Minister, she's got my vote.

She put in 80s pop song titles into a conversation with Nick Clegg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CO2wgoeWoAAOTxs.jpg
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,541
    edited September 2015
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

JJ, I have not missed it and of course a Scottish thug is no better than any other nationality of thug. I just wonder how you got from pickets as thugs to them being Scottish thugs. Why did you bring up "Scottish", you never mentioned that in your replies to others.
    Why should I mention it to others?

You really are trying very hard to be aggrieved here. It's quite entertaining.
    What ViceNews said about Corbyn before the GE result - most precient http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/jeremy-corbyn-john-mcdonnell-interview-election-2015-labour-party-674
    McDonnell chimed in, "let's be clear, we don't believe in leaders."

I thought that was a weird thing to say for someone who ran to be Labour leader twice. Back in 2007 he failed to get enough support, and did the same again in 2010. Corbyn was considering running as his deputy. Sour grapes?

McDonnell faltered, slightly, for the first time. "We believe that leaders should be following the masses. We only ran in leadership campaigns to get our ideas across, to use it as a platform."

"One of the first things we'd have done, had we won, was transform the idea of leadership within the Labour Party."

As election day nears and a party winning a strong majority unlikely, it seems that McDonnell, Corbyn and apparently tens of Labour left-wing MPs may have the chance to challenge their leaders once more. Shouting from the back-benches and voting against your own party takes on a renewed significance when that party has a wafer-thin majority. After the 7th of May, we may be hearing a lot more from the likes of McDonnell and Corbyn.
    edited September 2015

Justine Greening for next Prime Minister, she's got my vote.

A sure sign of how degenerate our political classes have become, that they would stoop to such low behaviours. I love it.

Corbyn's Abba tribute act suggestion, shows he is the right man for the country, no question. I'm not sure which country, but still.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Cyclefree said:

glw said:

TOPPING said:

alex. said:

skin in the game
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    BBC balance Dan Hodges and Lab list both calling Corbyn a crazy. No attempt at political balance.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

BBC balance Dan Hodges and Lab list both calling Corbyn a crazy. No attempt at political balance.

2 Labour voices given a platform without contradiction. That's just how the BBC works.
  • kle4 said:

Justine Greening for next Prime Minister, she's got my vote.

A sure sign of how degenerate our political classes have become, that they would stoop to such low behaviours. I love it.

Corbyn's Abba tribute act suggestion, shows he is the right man for the country, no question. I'm not sure which country, but still.
    Afternoon thread is going to be about Justine Greening as our next Prime Ministe

Among the most congenial of my Tory coalition colleagues was Transport Secretary Justine Greening. Despite being a George Osborne protegee, she was open and friendly, to the extent that she regularly called me Normski.

She never explained why, though I doubt it was because I had anything in common with the British rapper of that name. Her dealings with Nick Clegg were just as friendly. Almost too friendly, in fact.

Late one evening, there was a phone call between the two of them during which Justine was, by all accounts, more than a little tired and emotional. She mentioned to Clegg that she had just had a good day out, courtesy of Pete Waterman, the pop promoter — to which Clegg replied that he would be looking out for song titles in the conversation.

It was a throwaway line and not a terribly funny one. In any case, Clegg’s knowledge of Eighties pop is not extensive, so when Justine began dropping song titles into their conversation, they completely passed him by.

At one point, Clegg was talking about HS2, the high-speed train link, and how it might affect his Sheffield constituency. Justine replied: ‘I should be so lucky.’

This didn’t make any sense to him but he ploughed on regardless, pointing out the political difficulties he might face from Labour if the HS2 route carved through Sheffield.

‘Never gonna give you up,’ chirruped Justine, which must have sounded unnaturally effusive to the deputy PM.

http://dailym.ai/1KNkTIN

• CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

TOPPING said:

RobD said:
    Yes, it's the Sun, which is as you say a joke. The job is IIRC for shadow minister of diversity and minority faiths.
    Disgusting.

Why do "minority faiths" need a minister? What is it that Hindus need from a government minister? What will the policies be? Why are Christians excluded? How is this not divisive?

Nick probably like every other PB Tory on here I am trying to maintain the respect for you which you have rightly built up over the years and thoroughly deserve.

You are making it increasingly difficult to do.
    Remember Ed's wizard wheeze of having a Shadow Minister for Preventing Violence Against Women and Girls, ignoring the fact that many victims of abuse are male?

It's straight out of that playbook. ISTR Nick was unfussed about that madness as well.
    Well, indeed. Why do we need a Shadow Minister for Minority Faiths at all? Why do Catholics or Methodists or 7th Day Adventists need a minister at all? It's ludicrous and sinster identity politics.

If Corbyn were genuinely worried about the growth of anti-Semitism, he should call out those who perpetrate it, like the organisations of which he is Chair and / or sponsor.

Incidentally Ivan Lewis said a few weeks back that if the Labour party were serious about fighting racism then it should be serious about fighting anti-semitism, not indulging it. An uncontroversial statement, one would have thought. But not, apparently, in "Respect" Labour.
    DT
    Argentina's ambassador to the UK has reportedly described new Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn as "one of ours" when it comes to the Falkland Islands dispute.

Alicia Castro claimed Mr Corbyn could "decisively guide" British public opinion towards "dialogue" over the future sovereignty Falkland Islands.

She added that she felt "joy, a great satisfaction" that Mr Corbyn - who she first met in 2002 - had been chosen as leader of the opposition.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You really are trying very hard to be aggrieved here. It's quite entertaining.
    If the Nats could bottle (and sell) 'Taking Offence' they'd make a fortune......

Meanwhile James, late of this Parish, ponders on the Corgasm on the SNP's chances:

http://www.thenational.scot/comment/james-kelly-corbyn-will-inject-a-dose-of-unpredictability-into-the-holyrood-race.7550

While David Torrance reviews the death of the SNP's 'Red Tories' meme:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/nicola-sturgeon-no-longer-has-a-monopoly-on-authenticity-10499157.html
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    maaarsh said:

2 Labour voices given a platform without contradiction. That's just how the BBC works.
    Get Andy Burnham to appear alone and achieve balance.
  • Flint resigns

Not good for Corbyn.