Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sporting Index open a market on how many days Corbyn will l

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I thought @MTimT got it right earlier when he said as an outsider, it'd be very hard to tell who was a Kipper, LD, Tory, SNPer and even Labourite on here when it came to Corbyn threads.
    RobD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

Is political betting just a right-wing talking shop? Just wondered because it comes over that way.

No. It does, but it's not.

There are centrists and leftists and even the odd cybernat on here. Stick it out.
    Yeah, we're noisier than usual due to winning a majority when being told we'd never win one ever again (that might take a while to dissipate), and because of the right horlicks the Labour party are in these days :D
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    BBC reporting all seems smooth and pretty supportive, pointing out over 50% of appointments are women: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk

Sky News are clearly in a massive tizz, rather like some people on here: http://news.sky.com
    Darren McCaffrey's made a bit of a dick of himself

I don't think I'll be getting my news from the comments section of political betting ;)
  • Options
    MattW said:

Hmmm.

SPIN: 'We are not offering that market. Someone on a blog asked us for a price. It was a PR Exercise.'

Time for a thread about the #LabourPurge.

That was the hashtag used by the Corbynites while they said their voters were being purged.

Says a lot about political betting and the MSM machine of vested interests and westminster bubblists.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    The ousting of Abbott again shows that politicians who are slightly quirky get whacked.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    The Conservatives should absolutely not move left in response to Corbyn. Labour will lose the next general election, and the reformers that take over will have to close the gap to where the Tories are to show they are no longer left wing nutters. The more right wing the Tories are, the further right the new consensus will be.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    As @Richard_Tyndall said on the previous thread, given Labour's present state of ineptitude, the parliamentary opposition is going to be within the Conservative party. But what about the extra-parliamentary opposition that is likely to develop? This is Corbyn's terra firma. It's what he knows about. His recent shunning of the media and his predilection for street protest give us some idea about how his version of opposition might play out. And he has the ground troops for this. Wasn't it also Michael Foot's MO back in the day? There is now a different ball game.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

Is political betting just a right-wing talking shop? Just wondered because it comes over that way.

There are centrists and leftists and even the odd cybernat on here. Stick it out.

OK I'll try. It does seem quite rabidly right wing though not as much as Guido Fawkes with all its zionist propaganda.
  • Options

I've left Sky News on since 0700. I know the moment I tune out - I'll miss something that'll make me laugh or gasp.

JEO said:

I have always known I enjoy politics, but I never realised I could enjoy politics THIS MUCH.

Murdoch propaganda machine. I hope Corbyn gets it closed down.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''It does seem quite rabidly right wing though not as much as Guido Fawkes with all its zionist propaganda. ''

I guess the ballot box will soon decide who is the extremist, the 'rabidly right wing' folk on here, or you.
  • Options
    Fellow Corbynistas on here inc @bigjohnowls @handandmouse @SandyRentool @EPG that post regularly.
    Estobar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

OK I'll try. It does seem quite rabidly right wing though not as much as Guido Fawkes with all its zionist propaganda.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,835
    tyson said:

The ousting of Abbott again shows that politicians who are slightly quirky get whacked.

I don't know if Turnbull will be any better. He was completely ineffectual when he was Opposition leader.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''It does seem quite rabidly right wing though not as much as Guido Fawkes with all its zionist propaganda. ''

I guess the ballot box will soon decide who is the extremist, the 'rabidly right wing' folk on here, or you.

Sure. In the one we just had we won 60% to the next nearest 20%. Bring it on.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Cyclefree said:

PClipp said:

JEO said:

Estobar said:

Political betting just reflects the election result that shows right wingers are a majority of the country.
    Your interpretation is understandable, Mr Estobar. It does come over that way at times. Not many people here gave serious thought to Henry Mason´s excellent piece. They just rubbished it, as they are wont to do.

But I think you are right, and Mr JEO is wrong. I have the impression that most of the people who voted for UKIP at the last election are not greatly bothered about Europe, nor even about immigation as such. They just wanted to give a kicking to the political establishment.

As such, they are sitting ducks waiting to be caught in Mr Corbyn´s net. So there could be an opportunity for Labour in their latest anti-establishment moves.

On the other hand, if the destructive anarchist tendency takes over the Labour Party, there is surely a growing space for a responsible, compassionate party - which has to be the Liberal Democrats.

As Henry Mason says, Cameron´s Conservatives are busy giving up all the moderate centre ground that he worked so hard to cultivate.

The reason the article - and by the way it's Henry MaNson not Mason - was rubbished was because HM seemed to think that cutting back on child benefit was an example of a government being authoritarian. This is a fantastically stupid example to use.

The only worthwhile point he made was one that a number of right wingers on here - DavidL for instance - made a few days ago - which is that it is essential to have a worthwhile opposition because without one governments become hubristic, complacent, lazy and this is not in the interests of good government of us all, regardless of party affiliation.

I think we're all guilty of selective memory. I remember this site being much more left wing back in '06 & '07.

There are plenty of right-of-centre posters who will cheerfully give Cameron's government a good kicking when they do or say something that warrants it. Cameron's cheerful and repeated conflation of deficit and debt is but one issue.

Henry's article was, I'm sorry to say, poor quality by his own standards, and people of all stripes rightly pointed this out.

I do think that Labour supporters have developed a perceptual bias; I'm old enough to remember what both real left wing and real right wing governments look like.

Cameron's administration is, despite any huffing and puffing to the contrary, reasonably centrist. However, like generals fighting the last war, they keep asserting (against all common sense) that Cameron is Fatcha the Snatcha reincarnated.
  • Options

Fellow Corbynistas on here inc @bigjohnowls @handandmouse @SandyRentool @EPG that post regularly.

Estobar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

Don't forget @IOS. He's a frequent poster, though has seemingly been on a long vacation since his last contribution on May 6. Maybe he went with @compouter2, who hasn't been seen since May 8?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    MattW said:

Hmmm.

SPIN: 'We are not offering that market. Someone on a blog asked us for a price. It was a PR Exercise.'

That was the hashtag used by the Corbynites while they said their voters were being purged.

Others of us have #TheCorbynquisition.....
  • Options

Nope you are misquoting me. I said Skype and the like could make it unnecessary if we had the proper investment in high speed fibre optic broadband. But since we are squandering such vast sums of money on HS2 it doesn't seem that is going to be a possibility in the foreseeable future.

As an aside many companies have drastically reduced the number of people travelling offshore to the North Sea by the use of remote operations. Where the oil companies lead, eventually many other companies will follow - but only if the infrastructure is available.

Sorry for misquoting you, but your clarification makes your position even more doubtful.

As I pointed out at the time - it was at least two years ago - the rise in passenger numbers has risen in line with usage of the Internet, starting from roughly the same point in the early 1990s. Since our last discussion, passenger numbers have continued to shoot up as Internet usage has increased.

You seem to be thinking that there will be a magic point at which Internet speeds will make much travel unnecessary. This is a leap of faith on your part, and goes against what we have seen so far. It seems a rather odd assumption on which to base transport policy.

Your point on the North Sea industry is even less relevant than the mention of Birmingham above. at least, unless they re-route HS2 to take a more easterly route. ;)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Estobar said:

taffys said:

Hardly a representative cross-section of the electorate :D
  • Options
    tyson said:

Corbyn needs to find some quick wins, somewhere to change the narrative. A reasonable performance at PMQ's is the obvious place.

He needs to charm a press conference, self deprecate, play on his anti politician image- in other words he needs to learn how to spin and fast.

The public despises the hacks, Corbyn should treat them with the contempt they've earned.
  • Options
    Yup.
    John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

PClipp said:

JEO said:

Estobar said:

Political betting just reflects the election result that shows right wingers are a majority of the country.
    Your interpretation is understandable, Mr Estobar. It does come over that way at times. Not many people here gave serious thought to Henry Mason´s excellent piece. They just rubbished it, as they are wont to do.

But I think you are right, and Mr JEO is wrong. I have the impression that most of the people who voted for UKIP at the last election are not greatly bothered about Europe, nor even about immigation as such. They just wanted to give a kicking to the political establishment.

As such, they are sitting ducks waiting to be caught in Mr Corbyn´s net. So there could be an opportunity for Labour in their latest anti-establishment moves.

On the other hand, if the destructive anarchist tendency takes over the Labour Party, there is surely a growing space for a responsible, compassionate party - which has to be the Liberal Democrats.

As Henry Mason says, Cameron´s Conservatives are busy giving up all the moderate centre ground that he worked so hard to cultivate.

The reason the article - and by the way it's Henry MaNson not Mason - was rubbished was because HM seemed to think that cutting back on child benefit was an example of a government being authoritarian. This is a fantastically stupid example to use.

The only worthwhile point he made was one that a number of right wingers on here - DavidL for instance - made a few days ago - which is that it is essential to have a worthwhile opposition because without one governments become hubristic, complacent, lazy and this is not in the interests of good government of us all, regardless of party affiliation.

I think we're all guilty of selective memory. I remember this site being much more left wing back in '06 & '07.

There are plenty of right-of-centre posters who will cheerfully give Cameron's government a good kicking when they do or say something that warrants it. Cameron's cheerful and repeated conflation of deficit and debt is but one issue.

Henry's article was, I'm sorry to say, poor quality by his own standards, and people of all stripes rightly pointed this out.

I do think that Labour supporters have developed a perceptual bias; I'm old enough to remember what both real left wing and real right wing governments look like.

Cameron's administration is, despite any huffing and puffing to the contrary, reasonably centrist. However, like generals fighting the last war, they keep asserting (against all common sense) that Cameron is Fatcha the Snatcha reincarnated.
  • Options

Estobar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

Don't forget @IOS. He's a frequent poster, though has seemingly been on a long vacation since his last contribution on May 6. Maybe he went with @compouter2, who hasn't been seen since May 8?
    I recall IOS posting something about Labour's ground game. Although I could be mistaken?

Missing Basil dearly.....
  • Options

Estobar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

IOS is still working on Labour's algorithms.
  • Options
    :+1:

MattW said:

Hmmm.

Others of us have #TheCorbynquisition.....
  • Options
    tyson said:

Has Diane gone already???
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

At the weekend I was called a Zionist.

Everyone's a Zionist these days.
  • Options

tyson said:

Tony Abbott ;)
  • Options

So you are relying upon the possibility of a redevelopment that is not even being planned and may well never happen to deal with a congestion issue which will happen and is already being planned.

And you are relying on Internet speeds halting the rise in passenger travel that has been happening since the Internet first became popular. Which, from what we've seen so far, seems a rather forlorn hope.

Besides, I'm not relying on anything: I'm saying let's wait for details of the plans, rather than Gilligan's spin on them. I've already said many times that HS2's future depends on Euston, and it's quite possible that it will kill the project. You're just getting the funeral shroud out a trifle early.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,203
    Estobar said:

taffys said:

Have you worked out the percentage of all the voters on the electoral roll this was yet?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015

What happened to @BenM? I would have thought he'd be here telling us how great McDonnell's economics policies are.
  • Options

To be fair they do need a bit of tweaking.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Estobar said:

taffys said:

Have you worked out the percentage of all the voters on the electoral roll this was yet?
    Or also how many floating centre voters comrade corbyn will attract? This answer can include negatives...
  • Options

What happened to BenM? I would have thought he'd be here telling us how great McDonnell's economics policies are.
    He's been around on twitter. He wanted to take a break from politics after the result in May.

He's not a fan of Corbyn. This was Ben's tweet a few days ago

Out of curiosity + respect for his sweeping democratic mandate I'll give Corbyn a few months grace. But feel Labour has made terminal error.
  • Options

Estobar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

MickPork is Getting The Vote Out.....
  • Options
    ''Everyone's a Zionist these days.''

Anybody who uses the term 'Zionist' reveals more about themselves than any point they are trying to make.
  • Options

tyson said:

No she's in the shadow cabinet. I didn't understand that comment either.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Estobar said:

I've left Sky News on since 0700. I know the moment I tune out - I'll miss something that'll make me laugh or gasp.

JEO said:

I have always known I enjoy politics, but I never realised I could enjoy politics THIS MUCH.

Not keen on press freedom are we?
  • Options
    RobD said:

tyson said:

Tony Abbott ;)
    A boy can dream....
  • Options
    Estobar said:

tyson said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34245005
  • Options
    Estobar said:

BBC reporting all seems smooth and pretty supportive, pointing out over 50% of appointments are women: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk

Sky News are clearly in a massive tizz, rather like some people on here: http://news.sky.com
    Darren McCaffrey's made a bit of a dick of himself

I don't think I'll be getting my news from the comments section of political betting ;)

The BBC have got it wrong. The majority of the members of the Shadow Cabinet are men. There are an additional 9 who can attend but are not members and of those the majority are women: 6 to 3. So there are a majority of women in the second rank role.

The Labour party has a problem with women, it seems. In its favour it's not as bad as the Lib Dems. Maybe one day it will catch up with the Tories.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Estobar said:

tyson said:

tyson was talking about the (ex) Australian PM!
  • Options
    Austria sending 2,200 troops to its border with Hungary to cope with influx of migrants http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/europe/article4556428.ece
  • Options
    felix said:

Estobar said:

JEO said:

Not when it's an Australian Islamophobe resident in the US whose organisation serially tapped telephones and who incites Britain to war from the safety of his US house.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    taffys said:

Anybody who uses the term 'Zionist' reveals more about themselves than any point they are trying to make.

I don't think louise mensch was far off the mark when she suggested people with a hatred for zionists or call themself anti-zionist have an underlying aura of anti-semitism.
  • Options
    He's on Twitter and not really doing politics post 7th May

What happened to @BenM? I would have thought he'd be here telling us how great McDonnell's economics policies are.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The internet does seem to attract some idiots.

I remember one day on PB I was accused of being Islamophobic.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, comrades.

One suspects more people than usual will be tuning in to PMQs.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

tyson said:

Oh, I knew exactly what he was saying. I was just having a larf.

A bit like Jeremy is....
  • Options
    Pauly said:

taffys said:

I don't think louise mensch was far off the mark when she suggested people with a hatred for zionists or call themself anti-zionist have an underlying aura of anti-semitism.
    Well quite. It's quite helpful to see it being used as a term of abuse because it's an easy way of labelling the person making it as someone whose opinions you don't really need to take seriously. It's a bit like the misuse of "fascist" as a term of abuse.

"The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies something not desirable."

• Options
    edited September 2015
    For anyone interested in our fighter-jets/tactical response to hijacked planes - rather nifty looking docu on Sky News tonight at 2130
  • Options
    Pauly said:

taffys said:

So you can't criticise Israel and pro-Israeli American/British foreign policy despite repeated serial human rights atrocities? Tsk.
  • Options

For anyone interested in our fight-jets/tactical response - rather nifty looking docu on Sky News tonight at 2130

I think one of the pilots is an old mate.

OPSEC my arse.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

(FPT) JEO said:
    "Has the shadow minister for Jews, Muslims and other assorted non-Christians been announced yet?"

Err, hello. The biggest minority faith in Britain is Catholicism. We're not going to be lumped in with CoE types, thank you very much. We want - DEMAND - our own Minister to make sure that our particular views on transubstantiation, original sin, the Nicene creed and the price of fish are properly taken into account in government policy. Plus we want a special law saying that we mustn't be offended and a special monitoring team to make sure that rude things said about us are recorded and people told off for being Catholicophobic.

Oh and the price of incense should be lowered and we need to have lots of money given to us for all the babies we have. Lots of money. Lots and lots. Because if you don't you are being "authoritarian" (copyright: H Manson, the Labour Party (currently in receivership)).

Hah!

If you think you're a minorty, what about the High Anglicans?

Especially the Liberal High Anglicans...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,835
    Estobar said:

felix said:

Estobar said:

JEO said:

Not when it's an Australian Islamophobe resident in the US whose organisation serially tapped telephones and who incites Britain to war from the safety of his US house.
    If you had your way, we'd have a choice of the Morning Star and the Guardian to read.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Con down one Peer - Lord Parkinson has retired.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

(FPT) JEO said:
    "Has the shadow minister for Jews, Muslims and other assorted non-Christians been announced yet?"

Err, hello. The biggest minority faith in Britain is Catholicism. We're not going to be lumped in with CoE types, thank you very much. We want - DEMAND - our own Minister to make sure that our particular views on transubstantiation, original sin, the Nicene creed and the price of fish are properly taken into account in government policy. Plus we want a special law saying that we mustn't be offended and a special monitoring team to make sure that rude things said about us are recorded and people told off for being Catholicophobic.

Oh and the price of incense should be lowered and we need to have lots of money given to us for all the babies we have. Lots of money. Lots and lots. Because if you don't you are being "authoritarian" (copyright: H Manson, the Labour Party (currently in receivership)).

So you want a Minister for Popery AND a Minister for Potpourri?
    Since most religions, such as christianity islam judaism, believe (have their 'faith') in the same God, then just who really will this minister for minority gods be responsible for?
    Does this minister really exist? Perhaps we should start up a new sect to worship him/her. It would come to something if it were more rational to believe in a deity than a minister for faith.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

felix said:

Estobar said:

JEO said:

So that'll be a no then. Pravda and Izvestia only in future?

Once you legitimise closing down media because you don't like you give the green light for your opponents to do likewise, which is particularly stupid when you're in opposition.
  • Options

To be fair they do need a bit of tweaking.
    Good think I wasn't drinking anything, or you'd owe me a new keyboard!!
  • Options
    Those of you criticising those for criticising Israel are the same as those criticising those for criticising Sky News.

There was a huge arms fair last week in London, the sort of hypocrisy that Comrade Jeremy is set to expose.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

Estobar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

Yep, stock go-to insult for SW morons basically because unless you say you want the state of Israel to be dismantled (i.e. you're sane) it's impossible to deny (in their eyes). More Groupthink.
  • Options

Estobar said:

felix said:

Estobar said:

JEO said:

So that'll be a no then. Pravda and Izvestia only in future?

Once you legitimise closing down media because you don't like you give the green light for your opponents to do likewise, which is particularly stupid when you're in opposition.
    But you're not permitted to call anyone a zionist. Double standards.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Cecil is 84 - one of the most familiar faces on the screen when I was a nipper, christ I feel old.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015
    Estobar said:

felix said:

Estobar said:

JEO said:

Are you suggesting that that The Daily Mirror is shut down too for industrial scale phone hacking, as bad if not worse than any other media organisation? Though not.

Trinity Mirror have now set aside nearly £30 million towards the legal costs racked up by it's Lefty supporting rag of newspaper for intrusions into privacy.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Will Corbyn, Ed M or Salmond be burnt in effigy this year in Lewes?
  • Options
    Just for reference - how did you vote in GE2020? And did you vote for Jezza or just like the cut of his jib?
    Estobar said:

Those of you criticising those for criticising Israel are the same as those criticising those for criticising Sky News.

There was a huge arms fair last week in London, the sort of hypocrisy that Comrade Jeremy is set to expose.

• Options
    But you're not permitted to call anyone a zionist

You can call people Zionists if you want to. Actually I'm glad that you can, because it reveals something about you.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, Lysimachus' peak was in his 70s. Don't feel too bad.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Just did all of my sums on the Labour leadership election, up £120!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Estobar said:

felix said:

Estobar said:

JEO said:

Lol - it's like you've segued out of Twitter by mistake and landed in an alien world. Such fun, such larks - we've not had the likes here since Tim but in fairness he actually knew he was talking a load of bollocks before the drink kicked in.
  • Options
    Moderator....Possible libel alert from Estobar.....
  • Options
    Estobar said:

He'll have to engage with the media to expose it first.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,390
    edited September 2015
    Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

Ghedebrav said:

Estobar said:

Yep, stock go-to insult for SW morons basically because unless you say you want the state of Israel to be dismantled (i.e. you're sane) it's impossible to deny (in their eyes). More Groupthink.
    A few years ago on another forums I said something along the lines of "If Israel doesn't give the Palestinians their own state they'll eventually end up taking over the one they're in already in a few decades"

I was called a Muslim hating Zionist for that.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @andrewspoet: @MichaelPDeacon Kudos to Corbyn for assembling a backbench of all the talents...
  • Options
    Estobar. Don't go there. You'll get smote by the ban hammer if you keep on making comments like that about Rupert Murdoch.

Mike's had to deal with Mr Murdoch's lawyers in the past and he doesn't want a repeat.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

British Jobs for British Workers

Who gives a feck about 370,000 workers?

The UK defence industry is a significant domestic industrial sector that directly employs 162,400 people, indirectly generates a further 114,200 jobs in the defence supply chain and supports a further 95,800 induced jobs in the UK economy.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/policy-institute/publications/A-benefit-not-a-burden.pdf

Oh yes, that's right.

The Tories....
  • Options
    Blimey - 84.

Never liked him myself, far too smiley in a oily way.

MikeL said:

Cecil is 84 - one of the most familiar faces on the screen when I was a nipper, christ I feel old.
  • Options
    JEO said:
    It was the media that made a big deal about this. It was I think reported a few days ago elsewhere. Now it turns out to be a load of hysterical rubbish from someone who seems quite disturbed. His son is being referred to social services. So much for all this Dolphin Square rubbish. Still I supposed it allowed a few nutjobs to have a quick 3 minute hate at the establishment.

The sealing of EU borders seems to me to be a bigger story in lots of different ways. But its not getting much coverage on here. Fair enough - I guess there is no betting position to take.
  • Options

I’ll bare that in mind Mr Dancer, should I decide in later life to invade Macedonia.
  • Options
    So Kerry McCarthy is a Shadow Cabinet Minister. The first one ever with a police caution to her name? Hard pressed to think of any others
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Estobar said:

DSEI 2015 hidden in plain sight at the ExCel centre.

What's the 'hypocrisy' of which you speak?
  • Options

I’ll bare that in mind Mr Dancer, should I decide in later life to invade Macedonia.
    Talking of Macedon. I've got a thread upcoming comparing George Osborne to Alexander The Great
  • Options
    @VickiYoung01: New shadow education sec Lucy Powell says Corbyn "relaxed" about differences of opinion. Says "we hardly know each other" #labour

Her first big policy event is going to make the Edstone "just cos they are carved in stone" speech look polished and slick...
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

(FPT) JEO said:

Hah!

If you think you're a minorty, what about the High Anglicans?

Especially the Liberal High Anglicans...
    Well you could join us...... Some of you already have. (Smiley face!)

That Minister for Faiths is going to be awfully busy. Perhaps we could build him a tower where he/she/it can contemplate all these faiths. I think we need a name for the Tower. Babel perhaps.

• Options
    @JoeMurphyLondon: So that's the ;leader, the shadow chancellor and the shad foreign sec who have all pulled out of i/vs today. #chaos https://t.co/9uNFNuxi5r
  • Options
    That and a Labour Back Bench MPDeputy Leader

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, you may wish to recall that (discounting boys and the intellectually subnormal) Alexander was the last Argead king.

On the Minister for Faiths, if that is the title, do atheists and agnostics get a minister?
  • Options
    So we've got three rather superb attack lines already in place in the public's mind.

1) Security - and video footage of any one of his comments from the last 30 years

2) We Told You They'd Not Gone - see above

3) Utter incompetence - and with a looming split on EU as well!

How have you lot managed to dig such a hole, in such a short time?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Corbyn told me he could back Britain leaving the EU, Chuka Umunna reveals as Labour faces split over referendum"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3233754/Corbyn-told-Britain-LEAVING-EU-Chuka-Umunna-reveals-Labour-faces-split-referendum.html
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

So you are relying upon the possibility of a redevelopment that is not even being planned and may well never happen to deal with a congestion issue which will happen and is already being planned.

And you are relying on Internet speeds halting the rise in passenger travel that has been happening since the Internet first became popular. Which, from what we've seen so far, seems a rather forlorn hope.

Besides, I'm not relying on anything: I'm saying let's wait for details of the plans, rather than Gilligan's spin on them. I've already said many times that HS2's future depends on Euston, and it's quite possible that it will kill the project. You're just getting the funeral shroud out a trifle early.
    Whilst you are here, Mr. Jessup, may I thank you for pointing us earlier to that jolly interesting article on ERTMS. Fascinating stuff, especially when it came to the section on the business case.
  • Options
    Mr. Paris, are you suggesting Labour's just leapt out of a plane without a parachute, whilst flying over a minefield on a monster-infested island in the middle of the Pacific?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    dr_spyn said:

Will Corbyn, Ed M or Salmond be burnt in effigy this year in Lewes?

Surely Corbyn - they like to keep it topical - not yesterdays men like the other two.
  • Options
    Joe Murphy
    So that's the ;leader, the shadow chancellor and the shad foreign sec who have all pulled out of i/vs today. #chaos https://t.co/9uNFNuxi5r
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Estobar. Don't go there. You'll get smote by the ban hammer if you keep on making comments like that about Rupert Murdoch.

Mike's had to deal with Mr Murdoch's lawyers in the past and he doesn't want a repeat.

While I think his position is ridiculous (that Sky News should be closed down), what has he said that unacceptable? It is a matter of public record that his organisation tapped phones and that he encouraged the UK to go to war in Iraq. It is a bit chilling if that sort of discussion is not allowed.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Corbyn needs to find some quick wins, somewhere to change the narrative. A reasonable performance at PMQ's is the obvious place.
    He needs to charm a press conference, self deprecate, play on his anti politician image- in other words he needs to learn how to spin and fast.

In other words do the basic political things that basic politicians do every day, to some degree of success or another one day to the next.
    So what? That's what he is there for. If it turns out he can walk and chew gum at the same time - well is that news?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Estobar said:

taffys said:

A letter in the i today assured Mr Corbyn that "the whole country is behind you".
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Narses was kicking Gothic arse well into his 80s. Very underrated, Narses.
  • Options
    "If it turns out he can walk and chew gum at the same time - well is that news?"

There's video evidence of him struggling to walk and talk at the same tiom

Mr. Paris, are you suggesting Labour's just leapt out of a plane without a parachute, whilst flying over a minefield on a monster-infested island in the middle of the Pacific?

You had to respect the ability to control the day's news that AJC et al had.

Compare, and contrast.

Also agree with the general point made by flightpath01 @1518
  • Options

Whilst you are here, Mr. Jessup, may I thank you for pointing us earlier to that jolly interesting article on ERTMS. Fascinating stuff, especially when it came to the section on the business case.
    Was looking on the wikipedia page:
    "21 February: Full commissioning of West Dalarna Line (Repbäcken-Malung) in Dalarna, Sweden, under ERTMS level 3 without lineside signals or track detection devices"

Literally no signals on the track? Barmy!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited September 2015
    Mr. M, jein. Narses was competent but also self-interested, short-termist and something of a shit.

If Belisarius had been given appropriate support the Exarchate of Ravenna might well have lasted longer and been rather more prosperous.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Paris, AJC?
  • Options
    JEO

What you say about Mr Murdoch's company is completely untrue and could also be construed as a libelous post.

Companies can be libeled as well as people, you know.
  • Options
    JEO said:

While I think his position is ridiculous (that Sky News should be closed down), what has he said that unacceptable? It is a matter of public record that his organisation tapped phones and that he encouraged the UK to go to war in Iraq. It is a bit chilling if that sort of discussion is not allowed.
    You can talk about all of those. He made another comment that was defamatory that has been taken out.