Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The pollsters might have to start applying a shy Labour fil

Comments

• Options

My personal selection of the top #3 bad decisions in European history:

1. Jun 1941. "Let's invade Russia". A. Hitler.
    2. Dec 1941. "Let's declare war on America". A. Hitler.
    3. Jun 1812. "Let's invade Russia". N. Bonaparte.

4. Feb 1666. “Let’s import black rats”. Pet Emporium, Cricklewood High Street.

Aug 1914. "Let's violate Belgian neutrality". K. Bill
  • Options
    Mr. M, not evil as such, but there are two huge 'what ifs' around Alexander. The Indians were very weak (as shown by their easy conquest by Chandragupta). If his soldiers had kept going, he would've had India as well. And, if he hadn't died, he had plans to conquer the whole coastline of North Africa. Which, had he succeeded (likely, in my view) would've meant a single state in the 4th century BC stretching from Portugal to the eastern border of Pakistan.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Estobar said:

I'll stick my neck out here then run for cover ...

Yes I do think it's time to move on from Remembrance Day. I think we should say 'thank you, thank you for sacrificing, thank you for what you did in the cause you were told, and may have believed, was right. We thank you.'

But now it's time to move on. By the way, I know many many people, including Conservative voters, who privately agree with me on this.

Does it? Is there any evidence for this?

I wear a red poppy, and remembrance for me has a lot to do with respect, but do nations with remembrance celebrations behave less aggressively or more aggressively? IS is obsessed with "martyrs" as is Hamas and any number of other beligerent groups.
    I was thinking Remebrance as practiced in the UK, or Memorial Day in the States, not aggressive veneration of murderers.
    Public displays of mourning for the war dead are central to nationalist movements, whether British patriotism or Irish republicanism. They serve as remembrance of people and sacrifice, but also as remembrance of grievances. Think of the Argentine commemorations over the Falklands dead for example.

I wear a red poppy in remembrance of my own family war dead, and meditate on the human cost of war, but is this a desirable thing or just a nessecary thing?

I may be misremembering, but I just do not recall Remembrance Sunday being the big deal it is now 20 or 30 years ago.

I can easily believe it has been made a bigger deal,but the focus seemsmuch more reflective on 'remember the tragic loss' not 'remember the loss for the glory of the British race' or some such. Even the stories of heroism are tinged with more sadness.

I agree absolutely. Remembrance in this country has never been about triumphalism. That's why I like it so much.
    Tories have been trying to take it in that direction though

One of the good things about Remembrance Sunday is that both the SNP and Plaid Cymru support it. That tells you it is not about glorying the British nation, but about remembering the dead.
    Yes, but still does not alter the fact that the Tories have been pushing it that way recently
    Yes it does. Its getting worrying having to think about the filth that goes on inside your head. Your nasty evil smears are getting tiresome.
  • Options
    JohnM ..Take a death breath...keep a glass of strong liquor handy and read "Hitlers Willing Executioners" by Daniel Jonah Goldhagen
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    From the superb Telegraph Battle of Britain live blog (see Richard Tyndall's link earlier):

12.29: Oberleutnant Robert Zehbe is also drifting on the wind. He was the pilot of the empty Dornier, who managed to get his crew out before it crashed.

Now his parachute gets caught on some power cables and he ends up dangling above the ground. Citizens start to gather. Surely his war is over.

But this is Kennington, which has suffered heavily from past bombing raids. The crowd is hostile. Walter Chesney and his wife, forced off the bus at Oval Station, hear them chanting: “Kill him! Kill him!” They pull the German down and go at him with knives and pokers.

Soldiers fight their way through the crowd and manage to put him in the back of a truck, but he dies of his wounds on the way to hospital.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2015

I think you have the date and location wrong on that rat decision, Mr St Clare. Sicily 1346 is probably nearer the mark. The 1666 plague was nasty but nowhere near as bad as the Black Death in the 14th century.

So I would suggest:

1. 1346, "No need to quarantine those Genoese trade ships, they have sick people on board who need our help" Harbour Master, Palermo, Sicily
  • Options

Mr. M, not evil as such, but there are two huge 'what ifs' around Alexander. The Indians were very weak (as shown by their easy conquest by Chandragupta). If his soldiers had kept going, he would've had India as well. And, if he hadn't died, he had plans to conquer the whole coastline of North Africa. Which, had he succeeded (likely, in my view) would've meant a single state in the 4th century BC stretching from Portugal to the eastern border of Pakistan.

Mr Dancer. Wasn't Chandragupta an Indian?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930

BBC Spinroom
    "I agree with Nick" has been replaced with "I disagree with Jez" #NewPolitics #BBCDP

There is an article by a prominent Lib Dem on Liberal Democrat Voice entitled ' I agree with Jeremy'.
  • Options

Soldiers fight their way through the crowd and manage to put him in the back of a truck, but he dies of his wounds on the way to hospital.

The account here isn't as definite that it was the crowd who killed him. Very interesting incident though: www.vauxhallandkennington.org.uk/bombing.shtml
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Will Corbyn now consider this for the Labour Party and eventually, for Britain

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/6492/quebec-criticism-islam
    Canada: The Spanish Inquisition Makes a Comeback
    by Douglas Murray
    September 15, 2015 at 5:00 am
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, yes, but he conquered the established, though failing, empire/kingdom there at the time.

Side note: he also married Seleucus' daughter (or Seleucus married Changragupta's, I forget), and as a present he gave Seleucus 400 elephants. These played a critical role at the Battle of Ipsus, without which Antigonus and Demetrius probably would've won.
  • Options

What you really meant to say was -- Mar. 1890. 'Let's sack Bismark'. But we will let you off.
  • Options

Dr. Prasannan, yes, but he conquered the established, though failing, empire/kingdom there at the time.

Side note: he also married Seleucus' daughter (or Seleucus married Changragupta's, I forget), and as a present he gave Seleucus 400 elephants. These played a critical role at the Battle of Ipsus, without which Antigonus and Demetrius probably would've won.

Mr Dancer. My reading is that the Mauryan dynasty was native to India.

Anyway, are you familiar with the other Chandraguptas from a few centuries subsequent?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gupta_Empire
  • Options
    Dr. Prasannan, I'd read a little about Ashoka, but that's it.

It was, from my understanding, an internal takeover, a bit like the Assyrians giving way to the Medes who gave way to the Persians, or the Seleucids losing to the Parthians.
  • Options

The account here isn't as definite that it was the crowd who killed him. Very interesting incident though: www.vauxhallandkennington.org.uk/bombing.shtml
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Simon

"My personal selection of the top #3 bad decisions in European history:

3. Jun 1812. "Let's invade Russia". N. Bonaparte. "

Aren't you forgetting the 2012 Eurovision song contest 'Engelbert Humperdinck's - Love Will Set You Free'?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Isn't it about time the Archduke visited Serbia?? Sarajevo's nice at that time of year
  • Options

Mr. 63, before my time, I'm afraid.

Mr. M, the Fourth Crusade should be at the top of the list.

I'm amused at the juxtaposition of those two comments.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Simon

Aren't you forgetting the 2012 Eurovision song contest 'Engelbert Humperdinck's - Love Will Set You Free'?

No, Jemini in 2003!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    11point swing to leave in ICM EU poll

17% don't know

Or do we just talk about ourselves on here now?
  • Options

What you really meant to say was -- Mar. 1890. 'Let's sack Bismark'. But we will let you off.
    Bismarck!
  • Options
    JEO said:

JEO said:

The ones Sky interviewed on the Hungarian border didn't want to stay in Hungary - they wanted Germany and looked crushed when told the Germans had closed their border.

I can't imagine the refugees will want to hang around in Serbia for too long

The Hungarian army stood behind the barbed wire looked very menacing on the news this morning, not exactly the warm welcome the refugees expected.

Yet they are determined to get in, so many will go via Slovakia instead. It's not like they have a channel to cross. The new border checks will slow the pace of immigration, but thanks to Merkel's announcement it will be far, far higher than before the crisis.

And given that, we must be able to limit free movement. Germany can suspend Schengen "temporarily", so we can suspend free movement "temporarily".
    Free movement is for EU citizens
    And vast numbers of these migrants will get EU citizenship, as I have pointed out to you several times.
    Eventually - Eventually having settled in Germany. Thats the Germany with a low birthrate declining working population and a need for workers.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32929962
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I was a bit surprised by the lack of interest when I posted that earlier.
    isam said:

17% don't know

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Roger said:

Plato 111.

"Fraser's idee fixe on the debt is too rich for my moderately hawkish view on spending cuts"

Is there a 'translate' button somewhere?.

I see you have quietly dropped the crap about Cameron and immigration since he was proved correct and Merkel, proved utterly wrong. Why is that?
  • Options
    isam said:

17% don't know

Jezza onto a winner!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited September 2015

1914. Honour Belgium Neutrality. H H Asquith.
    1922. Invade Anatolia. Greek Government.
    1933. Offer that Bohemian Corporal a job. Von Papen.
    1966. The shot crossed the line. Bulgarian Linesman.
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, as I said about something or other to Mr. Eagles (I think), my frame of reference is stuff I've personally experienced, and things upon which Livy lent me his thoughts :p

But I have gotten into modern history recently, as indicated by this discussion about the Fourth Crusade, Basil II, and so on.

Those rumours of me being a Time Lord called The Dancer are entirely false.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Or do we just talk about ourselves on here now?''

I guess you must have mixed feelings Mr Sam.

If OUT wins, what will UKIP be for??
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    taffys said:

As a Conservative, one of the attractions of Leave is that we should be able to easily reunite the right.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, Mr. Isam, I suspect there's still rather a bit of doubt about polling [though Corbyn's win was good for the pollsters], and it's some years off.

I remain of the view that In remain firm favourites, although the scales have shifted somewhat due to Merkel's madness.
  • Options

JEO said:

JEO said:

The ones Sky interviewed on the Hungarian border didn't want to stay in Hungary - they wanted Germany and looked crushed when told the Germans had closed their border.

I can't imagine the refugees will want to hang around in Serbia for too long

The Hungarian army stood behind the barbed wire looked very menacing on the news this morning, not exactly the warm welcome the refugees expected.

Yet they are determined to get in, so many will go via Slovakia instead. It's not like they have a channel to cross. The new border checks will slow the pace of immigration, but thanks to Merkel's announcement it will be far, far higher than before the crisis.

And given that, we must be able to limit free movement. Germany can suspend Schengen "temporarily", so we can suspend free movement "temporarily".
    Free movement is for EU citizens
    And vast numbers of these migrants will get EU citizenship, as I have pointed out to you several times.
    Eventually - Eventually having settled in Germany. Thats the Germany with a low birthrate declining working population and a need for workers.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32929962
    Yes. Most will stay in Germany. A substantial minority will come to the UK. We must protect ourselves against that.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202

I'm still pinching myself - two men who between them have rebelled against their own Party over 1000x aren't just still in, they're leading it.

It's astonishing.

This from Nick Cohen after the GE is worth a read:

It could not because Labour’s leadership of former special advisers does not look like the people it wants to represent and does not look as if it likes the look of them either. In this, it is typical of the wider educated left in England, which almost alone in the world, makes a virtue of denigrating its own people.

The universities, left press, and the arts characterise the English middle-class as Mail-reading misers, who are sexist, racist and homophobic to boot. Meanwhile, they characterise the white working class as lardy Sun-reading slobs, who are, since you asked, also sexist, racist and homophobic. The national history is reduced to one long imperial crime, and the notion that the English are not such a bad bunch with many strong radical traditions worth preserving is rejected as risibly complacent. So tainted and untrustworthy are they that they must be told what they can say and how they should behave.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/may/09/labour-left-miliband-hating-english

George Orwell said much the same thing 70 years ago about the Left then. Plus ca change......

• Options

Bismarck!
    Wow! How desperate are you!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Simon

Roger, there are some things which are too painful to remember - I fear that is one of them.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

PClipp said:

It only took David Cameron six years to finally come out and take a moral stand, and all it took was the death of one toddler

So why have we been outspending the rest of the EU on refugee camps in Turkey/Lebanon/Jordan for each of the last three years? Or does Mr Boyle favour grandstanding Angela 'opps! Close the borders!' Merkel?
    If it has been going on for three years, Miss Vance, then it is attributable to the Coalition Government.

A little way back you were attributing it entirely to Cameron.

I think you ought to be consistent, at least.
    Cameron is PM of both the coalition and this government......
    Cameron is a one man band. And a superman to boot! Tories are wonderful!!!
  • Options
    Has anyone told Roger that most of the Eastern states of the EU have now closed their borders..erected razor wire fences...police hitting refugees with batons..numbers of illegal immigrants arrested.. Immigrants refusing to be processed..papers,fingerprints taken etc.. Oh.. and the South of France is still relatively immigrant free..cos France stopped them crossing over from Italy some weeks ago
  • Options
    isam said:

17% don't know

I think part of the problem is that some of us don't believe the polls any more, or at least treat them with a certain disdain.

Anyway, snapshots of polls mean little. There has been plenty of discussion of the EU and the referendum on here recently, and that's much more interesting and enlightening than the thousands of posts about movements in the polls, especially when they're about poll-to-poll changes rather than long-term trends.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015

Roger said:

Eagle

"@TelegraphNews: Jeremy Corbyn arrives at Battle of Britain memorial service wearing shirt unbuttoned at the top… http://tgr.ph/1idsGCF"

As usual the Telegraph cut's through the crap of the remembrance day celebration and gets to the real significance of the occasion.......

The one thing we all know about Battle of Britain pilots is that they were absolute sticklers for correct appearance and formality at all times.

http://tinyurl.com/pygcqp8
    What the Few wore is irrelevant. It hardly mattered when they were risking their lives to defend the nation.

The least Corbyn could do is show some respect to those far more courageous than himself. Dodging questions from SKY on Parliament Green isn't particularly brave.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    edited September 2015
    taffys said:

ANC still existed after Apartheid.
    Congress still existed after Indian independence (Muslim League in Pakistan, too).

SNP still exist after the referendum :lol:
  • Options

Miss Plato, Mr. Isam, I suspect there's still rather a bit of doubt about polling [though Corbyn's win was good for the pollsters], and it's some years off.

I remain of the view that In remain firm favourites, although the scales have shifted somewhat due to Merkel's madness.

Merkel is changing the odds, not Corbyn. If the two leaders pushing Out are Farage & Corbyn, God help that campaign.

What's really interesting is the idea that Cameron might get pushed into an Out position.
  • Options

Roger said:

Simon

Roger, there are some things which are too painful to remember - I fear that is one of them.
    Jemini got "nul points" in 2003!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jemini
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Estobar said:

Conservative voters, who privately agree with me on this.

Remembering the sacrifice increases the probability that we will not engage in World War again in future.

I wear a red poppy, and remembrance for me has a lot to do with respect, but do nations with remembrance celebrations behave less aggressively or more aggressively? IS is obsessed with "martyrs" as is Hamas and any number of other beligerent groups.
    I was thinking Remebrance as practiced in the UK, or Memorial Day in the States, not aggressive veneration of murderers.
    Public displays of mourning for the war dead are central to nationalist movements, whether British patriotism or Irish republicanism. They serve as remembrance of people and sacrifice, but also as remembrance of grievances. Think of the Argentine commemorations over the Falklands dead for example.

I wear a red poppy in remembrance of my own family war dead, and meditate on the human cost of war, but is this a desirable thing or just a nessecary thing?

I may be misremembering, but I just do not recall Remembrance Sunday being the big deal it is now 20 or 30 years ago.

I can easily believe it has been made a bigger deal,but the focus seemsmuch more reflective on 'remember the tragic loss' not 'remember the loss for the glory of the British race' or some such. Even the stories of heroism are tinged with more sadness.

I agree absolutely. Remembrance in this country has never been about triumphalism. That's why I like it so much.

One of the good things about Remembrance Sunday is that both the SNP and Plaid Cymru support it. That tells you it is not about glorying the British nation, but about remembering the dead.
    Yes, but still does not alter the fact that the Tories have been pushing it that way recently
    You care to back that up with anything?
    If you live in this country , see all the "Heroes " days /parades , etc etc , TV full to brimming with programmes on how Britain won the war. You woudl need to be blind not to see it.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Not at all, I'd be ecstatic! My argument will have won

It would be exciting to live in an independent country where the govt can't blame its failings on the big boss across the water

As for UKIP, I don't think they'd go away. There will still be people wanting us to go back into the EU who must be fought; keeping the UK independent won't be a doddle

But let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet... Remain is in the lead

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited September 2015
    Corbo handing off the pensioner vote by refusing to sing GSTQ - what a dope.

• Options
    JEO said:

taffys said:

As a Conservative, one of the attractions of Leave is that we should be able to easily reunite the right.
    I'm not sure it will be able to be reunited easily. Rightly or wrongly, Farage is turning UKIP into much more than an anti-EU party, and some of his other positions will not be taken up by the Conservatives who are much more centrist under Cameron than they were. This is especially true if Farage tries to capture the ex-Labour WWC vote.

The two parties are diverging all the time. As such, UKIP might well exist after a 'leave' vote, and certainly during the long and complex negotiation period that will follow.
  • Options

I'm still pinching myself - two men who between them have rebelled against their own Party over 1000x aren't just still in, they're leading it.

It's astonishing.

Helpfully, Corbyn & McDonnell were interviewed during the election campaign about their plans to disrupt a Miliband government:

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/jeremy-corbyn-john-mcdonnell-interview-election-2015-labour-party-674
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Has Corbyn really stayed silent during the National Anthem or is the Telegraph telling fibs?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sex_Pistols_-_God_Save_the_Queen.jpg

:)
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Merkel is changing the odds, not Corbyn. If the two leaders pushing Out are Farage & Corbyn, God help that campaign.

What's really interesting is the idea that Cameron might get pushed into an Out position.
    If he can't get reforms that adequately address the two big worries - vast numbers coming here and the Eurozone bloc vote - in a legally binding manner, he should absolutely recommend an Out.

It might even be the making of him: the UK divorces itself from the EU economic and asylum messes, an effective pro-business trade deal is signed, the Right is reunited and the Labour moderates are left in disarray.

We could have conservative governance for a generation, untrammeled by EU regulations.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited September 2015

JohnM ..Take a death breath...keep a glass of strong liquor handy and read "Hitlers Willing Executioners" by Daniel Jonah Goldhagen

Sadly, I've read it. Other fictional treatments that haunt me are "The Kindly Ones" and "Ostland". People talk about the banality of evil, but it took Goldhagen's book to really bring it home to me what that means.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Estobar said:

Yes I do think it's time to move on from Remembrance Day. I think we should say 'thank you, thank you for sacrificing, thank you for what you did in the cause you were told, and may have believed, was right. We thank you.'

But now it's time to move on. By the way, I know many many people, including Conservative voters, who privately agree with me on this.

Yes it does. Its getting worrying having to think about the filth that goes on inside your head. Your nasty evil smears are getting tiresome.
    go wrap yourself in your butchers apron saddo
  • Options
    isam said:

But let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet... Remain is in the lead

Mind bleach!!!!
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

"@TelegraphNews: Jeremy Corbyn arrives at Battle of Britain memorial service wearing shirt unbuttoned at the top… http://tgr.ph/1idsGCF"

As usual the Telegraph cut's through the crap of the remembrance day celebration and gets to the real significance of the occasion.......

The one thing we all know about Battle of Britain pilots is that they were absolute sticklers for correct appearance and formality at all times.

What the Few wore is irrelevant. It hardly mattered when they were risking their lives to defend the nation.

The least Corbyn could do is show some respect to those far more courageous than himself. Dodging questions from SKY on Parliament Green isn't particularly brave.
    Get the fashion police to take him out and shoot him
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

Perhaps it's for the remaining 'Few' to judge rather than tabloid frothers and anonymous goons on the internet.
  • Options

From the superb Telegraph Battle of Britain live blog (see Richard Tyndall's link earlier):

12.29: Oberleutnant Robert Zehbe is also drifting on the wind. He was the pilot of the empty Dornier, who managed to get his crew out before it crashed.

Now his parachute gets caught on some power cables and he ends up dangling above the ground. Citizens start to gather. Surely his war is over.

But this is Kennington, which has suffered heavily from past bombing raids. The crowd is hostile. Walter Chesney and his wife, forced off the bus at Oval Station, hear them chanting: “Kill him! Kill him!” They pull the German down and go at him with knives and pokers.

nice people
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

Have another sly swig of hooch. I'm guessing you get angrier as the booze wears off, and the hangover kicks in.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Has anyone told Roger that most of the Eastern states of the EU have now closed their borders..erected razor wire fences...police hitting refugees with batons..numbers of illegal immigrants arrested.. Immigrants refusing to be processed..papers,fingerprints taken etc.. Oh.. and the South of France is still relatively immigrant free..cos France stopped them crossing over from Italy some weeks ago

But the South of France was effectively taken over by the Russian Mafia some time ago.

• Options

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

Perhaps it's for the remaining 'Few' to judge rather than tabloid frothers and anonymous goons on the internet.
    TUD, can you not envisage the brave Watford, clad in Top hat and tails , socking it to those nasty Germans
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

Three rules of The Army:

1. Don't march on Moscow
    2. Don't mess with the soldiers' mail or food
    3. Don't kick the volleyball
  • Options
    PClipp said:

PClipp said:

It only took David Cameron six years to finally come out and take a moral stand, and all it took was the death of one toddler

So why have we been outspending the rest of the EU on refugee camps in Turkey/Lebanon/Jordan for each of the last three years? Or does Mr Boyle favour grandstanding Angela 'opps! Close the borders!' Merkel?
    If it has been going on for three years, Miss Vance, then it is attributable to the Coalition Government.

A little way back you were attributing it entirely to Cameron.

I think you ought to be consistent, at least.
    Cameron is PM of both the coalition and this government......
    Cameron is a one man band. And a superman to boot! Tories are wonderful!!!
    If you say so.

I just observed that he is PM of this government and was PM of the coalition government too, a fact which appears to have eluded you.....
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

Have another sly swig of hooch. I'm guessing you get angrier as the booze wears off, and the hangover kicks in.
    How sad and unintelligible can you get. Get help.

PS: Try reading between dribbles , I am either drinking or it is wearing off and have a hangover, the two are incompatible though a cretin like yourself would not understand that
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Mg.. One cannot imagine you socking it to anything.. except a few midges..I guess in Scotland you might just get a medal for that .. apparently no Scots were ever involved in any wars ..ever.. Wonder why the Saltaire is so prominent in the Butchers Apron..
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    malcolmg said:

nice people
    Lest we forget, the Scottish Nationalists would have given him a hero's welcome.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1329626/Scots-tried-to-set-up-Nazi-alliance.html
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

TUD, can you not envisage the brave Watford, clad in Top hat and tails , socking it to those nasty Germans
    He strikes me more as the grey tracky bottoms and beer-stained England football shirt type to be honest..
  • Options

mhg One cannot imagine you socking it to anything.. except a few midges..

I thought I told you where to go and to stop posting your dribbling rubbish to me. You are like a broken record, sadder even than the imbecile Watford.
  • Options
    MG Go and suck one..
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nice people
    Sounds like what can happen to a NO voter in Dundee.
  • Options
    LOL........
    John McDonnell: "I got a phone call: saying 'I'm a journalist from the Sun.' I said look you can be one or the other, but you can't be both"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

PS: Try reading between dribbles , I am either drinking or it is wearing off and have a hangover, the two are incompatible though a cretin like yourself would not understand that
    Come on, that was quite funny.
  • Options

MG Go and suck one..

I will leave you to your preferences on that one Dickie
  • Options
    At times, the comments on threads can make this one of the most informative sites on t'internet.
    This is not one of those times.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Has Corbyn really stayed silent during the National Anthem or is the Telegraph telling fibs?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11865935/Jeremy-Corbyn-arrives-for-first-official-engagement-wearing-tie.html

Since it will probably be played on the news, it would be quite a brave fib to tell!

I guess his ratings among the (non-voting) young will get a boost, while those among the (heavily voting) oldies will take a further drubbing.....
  • Options
    MG.. at least I might have a choice.. whereas in your case..
  • Options

At times, the comments on threads can make this one of the most informative sites on t'internet.
    This is not one of those times.

Dribblers are out of school for lunch break, normal business will be resumed soon
  • Options
    edited September 2015

dr_spyn said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11865935/Jeremy-Corbyn-arrives-for-first-official-engagement-wearing-tie.html

Since it will probably be played on the news, it would be quite a brave fib to tell!

I guess his ratings among the (non-voting) young will get a boost, while those among the (heavily voting) oldies will take a further drubbing.....
    Ties are bourgeois right-wing Tory apparel! :lol:
  • Options

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

Only if you are not right in the head, which "it" is not. I prefer at least a few functioning braincells at least from commenters.
  • Options

MG.. at least I might have a choice.. whereas in your case..

Dear Dear what an absolute loser
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Increase in pensions will get oldies flocking to vote for him , they go with their pockets every time.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Why make an unforced error which confirms yesterday's evening attack line? If he had mined would anyone have noticed. The guy is a fool.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

Why make an unforced error which confirms yesterday's evening attack line? If he had mined would anyone have noticed. The guy is a fool.
    Is that a Mr T kind of "fool"? :lol:
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He is not the only person not singing in the key photo - but I have no idea who the other person is.

I know it can be perceived as petty to dwell on the issue of dress sense - but I think more people will consider his lack of smartness as more 'disrespectful' than a known republican refusing to sing a hymn to monarchy.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

Maybe he didn't want to be a hypocrite?

I thought at first he may be uncomfortable singing in public, but he was belting out the red flag on Saturday night
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    What I really love is the way Watson is stood next to Corbyn in these pics and on yesterday's TV slots - looking like a man wished he was out in ISil infested Syria rather than stuck here next to this bloody maniac - just possibly for the next 5 years :)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

dr_spyn said:

Increase in pensions will get oldies flocking to vote for him , they go with their pockets every time.
    Given the Pensioners already consume a hefty proportion of the "Welfare" budget and the government has the 'triple lock' I doubt Mr Corbyn has much room for generosity - especially given his support appears to trend young (and they'd have to pay for it).

And the pensioners already have a pretty unforgiving view of him.....
  • Options
    Great typo!

And he seems to be under the illusion that it's all about him. It's not.

He reminds me of my brother who acted like a rebellious teenager into his 40s.
    dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

• Options
    isam said:

dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

Maybe he didn't want to be a hypocrite?

I thought at first he may be uncomfortable singing in public, but he was belting out the red flag on Saturday night
    They will not understand principles on here, they expect him to be like the Tories.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

The man is a passionate republican, why the hell should he have to sing something that he doesn't agree with?
    You'll say that he's disrespectful but I'd say that he's being honest, and I say that as a supporter of the Monarchy.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

malcolmg said:

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Eagle

Only if you are not right in the head, which "it" is not. I prefer at least a few functioning braincells at least from commenters.
    Well, we can't always have what we want can we.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    malcolmg said:

They will not understand principles on here, they expect him to be like the Tories.

Did Nicola sing it last week?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    An interesting article by Krugman in the New York Times
    'Jeremy Corbyn, a long-time leftist dissident, has won a stunning victory in the contest for leadership of Britain’s Labour Party. Political pundits say that this means doom for Labour’s electoral prospects; they could be right, although I’m not the only person wondering why commentators who completely failed to predict the Corbyn phenomenon have so much confidence in their analyses of what it means.
    But I won’t try to get into that game. What I want to do instead is talk about one crucial piece of background to the Corbyn surge — the implosion of Labour’s moderates. On economic policy, in particular, the striking thing about the leadership contest was that every candidate other than Mr. Corbyn essentially supported the Conservative government’s austerity policies.
    Worse, they all implicitly accepted the bogus justification for those policies, in effect pleading guilty to policy crimes that Labour did not, in fact, commit. If you want a U.S. analogy, it’s as if all the leading candidates for the Democratic nomination in 2004 had gone around declaring, “We were weak on national security, and 9/11 was our fault.” Would we have been surprised if Democratic primary voters had turned to a candidate who rejected that canard, whatever other views he or she held?
    In the British case, the false accusations against Labour involve fiscal policy, specifically claims that the Labour governments that ruled Britain from 1997 to 2010 spent far beyond their means, creating a deficit and debt crisis that caused the broader economic crisis. The fiscal crisis, in turn, supposedly left no alternative to severe cuts in spending, especially spending that helps the poor.
    These claims have, one must admit, been picked up and echoed by almost all British news media. It’s not just that the media have failed to subject Conservative claims to hard scrutiny, they have reported them as facts. It has been an amazing thing to watch — because every piece of this conventional narrative is completely false.'
  • Options

Great typo!

And he seems to be under the illusion that it's all about him. It's not.

He reminds me of my brother who acted like a rebellious teenager into his 40s.

dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

Why make an unforced error which confirms yesterday's evening attack line? If he had mimed would anyone have noticed. The guy is a tool.

Found the misplaced consonant.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

dr_spyn said:

Given the Pensioners already consume a hefty proportion of the "Welfare" budget and the government has the 'triple lock' I doubt Mr Corbyn has much room for generosity - especially given his support appears to trend young (and they'd have to pay for it).

And the pensioners already have a pretty unforgiving view of him.....
    True, but if he thinks he can just print money it would not be an issue to promise more cash. They can be bought as we have seen in the past , they will vote with their purses/wallets for sure.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    A Republican Party Leader displaying a principled stance,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA17CsRffXI
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    New Thread
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He is not the only person not singing in the key photo - but I have no idea who the other person is.

I know it can be perceived as petty to dwell on the issue of dress sense - but I think more people will consider his lack of smartness as more 'disrespectful' than a known republican refusing to sing a hymn to monarchy.
    Tim Stanley ‏@timothy_stanley 11m11 minutes ago
    Many Corbyn activists asked "what would Attlee do?"
    As a patriot who fought at Gallipoli, I'm guessing he'd do up his tie at a memorial.

Would the former Major Attlee MP, MC just stand there and not sing God Save The King?
  • Options
    Off-topic:

On Thursday there's an election in my ward, provoked by the resignation (for a second time) of a Conservative councillor for work reasons.

So far, we've had one UKIP and Lib Dem leaflets through the door, along with two Conservative ones - the second I think is the largest political leaflet I've seen for some time.

The Conservatives appear to be trying really hard here and spending some dosh, even on a local election.
  • Options
    It's our national anthem, it's not republicanism unless he's selectively applying his principles since he's now a PC.

dr_spyn said:

TGOHF said:

The man is a passionate republican, why the hell should he have to sing something that he doesn't agree with?
    You'll say that he's disrespectful but I'd say that he's being honest, and I say that as a supporter of the Monarchy.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Did Nicola sing it last week?
    Who knows I have a life , I do not spend it worrying about her or any other politician. I also have no clue whether she is a royalist or not for same reason. I do not care a monkey's chuff. I would hope she has principles though.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    justin124 said:

"In the British case, the false accusations against Labour involve fiscal policy, specifically claims that the Labour governments that ruled Britain from 1997 to 2010 spent far beyond their means, creating a deficit and debt crisis that caused the broader economic crisis."

Krugman is quite remarkably silly for someone who presumably has at least an average IQ. No-one, not a single sentient being, has ever claimed that the last Labour government created 'a deficit and debt crisis that caused the broader economic crisis.'