Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ladbrokes makes 2020 or later the favourite for Mr Corbyn’s

Comments

• Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Roger said:

I've just realized people on here are actually taking this seriously.

Which other site in the world could attract the Colonel Blimps that this one does who could even give a damn whether or not Corbyn fastens his top button properly!

Roger - maybe you need to realise that if it matters to those to enough of those who vote then Corbyn has an electability problem.

You might think it is trivial but to many others it demonstrates a character flaw in someone who wants to convince us that we should let him lead us. What people see is a person who disrepects others' opinions and feelings. Someone who either does not give a d*mn or seems to completely lack empathy or understanding.

If he wants to be a leader then he better start acting like one.
  • philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

Many Corbyn activists asked "what would Attlee do?"
    As a patriot who fought at Gallipoli, I'm guessing he'd do up his tie at a memorial.

Somehow I doubt that Major Attlee MP MC would have not sung God Save The Queen.

Isn't the point about the National Anthem that it's the national anthem? It's not the disrespect to the Queen but to the nation that's the issue. If you care about such things.

I think there are more important things to criticise Corbyn about than this. Generally I think that if you turn up at some service it is no more than good manners to behave as is required e.g. taking one's shoes off in a mosque or wearing a kippah in a synagogue etc etc. Your own personal feelings are irrelevant and if they are that important to you then don't go.

BTW since it is Battle of Britain day I just thought I'd share the fact that my father was a Squadron Leader: one of the Few. Sadly no longer with us.

Of COURSE there are far more important things to criticize him for than this. But it's stuff like this which crystallises public mood, where more abstruse (if justified) accusations - his consorting with Islamists - gain no traction.

Most people have no idea why this or that radicalist is so offensive, but they can bloody well see a man disrespecting the Queen and looking badly dressed at an RAF memorial service.

We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already. He is corroding.
    "We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already."

But from his point of view, they are not gaffes. This is how he sees the world, and he is right you are wrong, ok?

The rebellious teenager who never grew up.

It's not about a right or wrong opinion. It's down to Corbyn to convince us to follow where he leads, to make us belive that he has the right vision. Now, I don't think he'll manage it, but his view of the world is no less valid than yours or mine.
    Maybe the questions we should be asking about Corbyn and his aims are these:

1: Does he expect to lead up to 2020 election? If so, when did this expectation form and what were the reasons he came to this conclusion after entering the contest as a make weight?

2: Is his focus to a) formulate party policy or b) democratise the party so that the members formulate plolicy?

3: In what ways does he envisage changing the party structures and decision making?

4: In light of above, where will he be most active for the first 12 months and what will he consider to a successful legacy?

• Even Dan Hodges is worried:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11866059/Cameron-and-Osborne-are-trying-to-wipe-the-Labour-Party-off-the-face-of-the-earth.html

But when he writes:

But Jeremy Corbyn is not the Labour Party.

Will you settle for 60% (as is argued here frequently), Dan?
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

As a patriot who fought at Gallipoli, I'm guessing he'd do up his tie at a memorial.

Isn't the point about the National Anthem that it's the national anthem? It's not the disrespect to the Queen but to the nation that's the issue. If you care about such things.

I think there are more important things to criticise Corbyn about than this. Generally I think that if you turn up at some service it is no more than good manners to behave as is required e.g. taking one's shoes off in a mosque or wearing a kippah in a synagogue etc etc. Your own personal feelings are irrelevant and if they are that important to you then don't go.

BTW since it is Battle of Britain day I just thought I'd share the fact that my father was a Squadron Leader: one of the Few. Sadly no longer with us.

Of COURSE there are far more important things to criticize him for than this. But it's stuff like this which crystallises public mood, where more abstruse (if justified) accusations - his consorting with Islamists - gain no traction.

Most people have no idea why this or that radicalist is so offensive, but they can bloody well see a man disrespecting the Queen and looking badly dressed at an RAF memorial service.

We're not even halfway through his first week and he's made several stupid gaffes already. He is corroding.
    And it won't be a one-off. Once 'disrespectful behaviour' becomes associated with him, people will be on the watch for the next one. The Daily Mail is no doubt working on its next 'Now' headline as we write (i.e. 'Now Corbyn ... sits for national anthem / disses the Queen / takes a leak on the tomb of the unknown warrior' or whatever). The individual incidents don't really matter (well, that last one might), but the cumulative effect does. Apart from anything else, being constantly asked questions about them will really rile the man.
    Yes and that's the way to get to him. He has a temper that is a time bomb waiting to go off, keep prodding and he will eventually lose it BIGTIME
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,768
    edited September 2015

What I'm still finding amazing is that Labour looked at what happened in May, considered it, and decided the problem was that they were not left wing enough.

It's mind-boggling.

I don't think they have actually "considered and decided" anything.

I think Labour has simply gone mad... They were rejected by the electoarte and are now acting like a spurned lover that's had a breakdown and become a bunny boiler.

Basically it's a case of: "You don't want us voters? Then **** You"!
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    He does have a great turn of phrase - he injects just enough humour
    Those who view Jeremy Corbyn as a divisive figure are being a touch unfair. There are few politicians who could have managed to get both Diane Abbott and David Cameron rooting for their election.

One of the two main parties – and therefore one of the two main pillars of our parliamentary democracy – is now facing an existential crisis

All of this analysis has been conducted along conventional political lines. How big a majority can the Tories now hope to secure in 2020? Can they grind Labour down so much that a Tory victory in 2025 is all but inevitable?

To which the answers are “as big as they like” and “yes”. But these are not conventional political times.

Even Dan Hodges is worried:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11866059/Cameron-and-Osborne-are-trying-to-wipe-the-Labour-Party-off-the-face-of-the-earth.html

But when he writes:

• That was a pretty pisspoor bit of delivery to the TUC from Corbyn: rambling, stumbling, rushed. He's lucky we live in a soundbite world :D
  • GIN1138 said:

What I'm still finding amazing is that Labour looked at what happened in May, considered it, and decided the problem was that they were not left wing enough.

It's mind-boggling.

I think Labour has simply gone mad... They were rejected by the electoarte and are now acting like a spurned lover that's had a breakdown and become a bunny boiler.

"See, madness, as you know, is like gravity: all it takes is a little push!"
    I think Labour should ring The Jeremy Kyle Show. They need some serious help.
    GIN1138 said:

It's mind-boggling.

• MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Surely not doing his shirt and tie up properly is just an unforced error?

What does he gain by it?

Whereas there are lots of people (many of whom may not follow politics particularly closely) who will think it shows disrespect and also that he just looks a mess.

And some will be thinking that if he can't manage to dress properly, how good is he going to be at running the country?

Needless error - may look trivial - but can only feed into a narrative that he isn't suitable to be PM.

• Given that my background is solid working class..Steel ..mining etc and I still have lots of family and friends in those areas..I was surprised over the weekend when I talked to a few of them ..on skype .that they accept Corbyn as leader but are deeply ashamed of him and his stance..They do not want him to stay.. and that was before the Shadow Cabinet shambles It would benefit the PLP if they were to understand that all of those people who vote for them are not all sheep..most of them are very canny indeed.. and quite a few have relatives in the forces..
    Was that on BBC Parly? If so, I'll rewind on iPlayer now.

That was a pretty pisspoor bit of delivery to the TUC from Corbyn: rambling, stumbling, rushed. He's lucky we live in a soundbite world :D

• taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited September 2015
    Ive just read on twitter than Corbyn wants to remove the benefits cap completely. The sky's the limit...??

And that's funny. Because I'm sure I read one of his ministers expressing the wish today to keep it at 23 grand.

???????????????????
  • Roger said:

who could even give a damn whether or not Corbyn fastens his top button properly!

Older voters (who turn out to vote)?

Just a thought.....
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Where do labour find these idiots.

Anger as Labour MP tells Government: Let's keep accepting refugees until Britain BREAKS

BRITAIN should continue accepting refugees until our services buckle under the pressure, a Labour MP has blasted

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/605150/Labour-MP-Rachael-Mask-take-refugees
  • Where do labour find these idiots.

Anger as Labour MP tells Government: Let's keep accepting refugees until Britain BREAKS

BRITAIN should continue accepting refugees until our services buckle under the pressure, a Labour MP has blasted

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/605150/Labour-MP-Rachael-Mask-take-refugees

"Madness....? THIS IS LABOUR!"
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @STVColin: Fewer than half of MSPs in the Holyrood chamber for start of refugees debate #refugeeswelcome #refugeescrisis
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Even Dan Hodges is worried:

But when he writes:

Mr Hodges concluded: "And the country needs the Labour Party. Even at its lowest points – and there have been many low points, though few quite as low as this – Labour has remained one of the largest and most important cogs in the machinery of British parliamentary democracy. And if that cog is gratuitously ripped out, the implications for that machine are incalculable. "

... and that is the flaw in his logic. The country does NOT need the Labour party, it simply needs an opposition which, at present, is mostly the Labour party. Before the Labour party it had the Whigs and the Liberals. Parties come and go and none of them are essential.

The vacuum left by Labour will be filled by someone else. If they can get their act together then the Liberals might have a chance but I would not be surprised if 40% of the Labour party forms a new party.
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015

A bit of a donkey-jacket moment, me thinks.

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

@GdnPolitics: Corbyn stands silent during national anthem at Battle of Britain service http://t.co/vYWWqQP3tx

Quite, and I didn't think the donkey jacket moment would come as early as Day 4!

The top button undone is an image thing, and some voters might like Jez's rough and readiness and the fact he's at least covered up his vest and put a tie on. But to not sing the national anthem is unthinkable whatever his views.

(And i don't believe it's his republicanism that stops him singing it, I suspect it's more the fact as a hard Leftie who hates his country and its imperialist past he has never ever sung it in his life and probably doesn't even know the words)

The Sun and Mail will have fun with this tomorrow methinks...
    watford30 said:

The question is whether Corbyn himself quits.

Labour are frit, but I wouldn't buy him being in post 5 years from now. 2018 or 2019 look like value.

The even bigger question is: who the heck is there to replace him?
    Tom Watson must be hopeful. Keep an eye on him.
    That's what worries me. When Corbyn quits (and he will), the thuggish Watson becomes Acting Leader as Harman just has. So incumbency might give him a great advantage. Of course he's also unelectable, but a bit less unelectable than Corbyn.
    He'll turn up to memorial services with his tie done up and shoes polished, shake all the right hands, and not put a foot wrong. Then with time spent as Deputy, put himself forward for the Leader position as the man who steered the Labour Party through the Corbyn years.

Compared to Twitchy the Tramp, he's going to look awesome.
    @JamesTapsfield: Labour says Corbyn simply forgot to include pre-briefed section about "enemy within" in his speech
  • Was that on BBC Parly? If so, I'll rewind on iPlayer now.

That was a pretty pisspoor bit of delivery to the TUC from Corbyn: rambling, stumbling, rushed. He's lucky we live in a soundbite world :D

Was via BBC website - dunno if on Parly
  • GIN1138 said:

It's mind-boggling.

I think Nicola is facing a similar problem in Scotland - a party shrieking 'they got it wrong' and an electorate saying 'nae we didna'.....the difference is Nicola is onto it....whether she is up to it, time will tell, but I would guess 'yes'.
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    SeanT said:

The excuse that he's a republican makes me want to barf. This isn't about him, it's about respecting the fallen and singing OUR national anthem. Until we're a republic [never in my view], he should sing it for the purpose that it signifies.

The pulled down tie just looks like he's a teenager who doesn't want to look smart at a funeral.

SeanT said:

Ed Miliband: "Whenever I look at Jeremy Corbyn in a half buttoned shirt and tie I just think DISRESPECT"

Rilly. This is Corbyn's biggest fuck up yet. You're either gonna go to an RAF memorial in a properly buttunoed shirt and tie, ready to sing the national anthem - or you're not.

You don't turn up just to make it plain you feel no respect whatsoever for proceedings, whistling and sneering, looking at your watch, sighing heavily, smirking.

What a tit.

As a devout atheist, I never join in with any recitation of the Lord's Prayer or similar thing when present at an event where such a thing takes place.

That is no different to a republican not joining in with a song that exists to worship monarchy

If our national anthem was 'Land of Hope and Glory' (as I think it probably should be) then he certainly should join in
    You're not the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. Hoping to be elected prime minister. In a country where 70% of the people are monarchists.

Also why the F can't he just do up his fecking top button? This is a memorial for the dead. How old is he? 13?

Plato is right: he's acting like an adolescent who wants to show his rebellious disrespect but hasn't actually got the bollocks to boycott the event entirely.
    It's not so long ago that 70% of Scotland were unionists.

Things change. Ironically, if the BBC is properly gutted by the Tories then the main tool of propaganda for the monarchy will be gone and that 70% will start to slide.

As for the song, it;'s a disgraceful dirge, woeful on every level and the lyrics, filled with the idea of kowtowing to some inbred, sour faced old crone are disgusting.
  • currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    I was opened mouthed wathcing the news last night when they showed a picture of Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott on Labours front bench, what odds would you have got on that a year ago?

Its pure madness from Labour, the loony left are loving it but these people cannot win an election pure and simple
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    The other big issue to factor in here is that Corbyn is 66.

Everything that happens over the next 5 years is going to be taking place whilst he moves from 66 to 71.
  • Was that on BBC Parly? If so, I'll rewind on iPlayer now.

I would not bother. I expect you would not be surprised. Just leave the electorate to draw their own conclusions. Corbyn's track record is one of being shouty at protest marches.
    I see Corbyn has created a new thought crime

'Poverty denial'
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

dr_spyn said:

Tim Stanley tweeted

TBH on a day like this I'd rather remember those who fought than obsess about Corbyn's tie. He issued a statement, at least. He's a berk. But let's leave it there. Today is not about him.

I agree. Cheers for the Few, jeers for Corbyn can wait.

I remember a lovely old fellow who flew seafires off carriers. Only 4 pilots in his 1941 training squadron survived the war. He later went into the insurance business in Leicester.

Incidentally I highly recommend Bungays book on the Battle. He makes a convincing case that it was a triumph of British organisational skill over a Luftwaffe who relied on flamboyant individuals.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Most-Dangerous-Enemy-History/dp/1845134818
    Dair said:

As for the song, it;'s a disgraceful dirge, woeful on every level and the lyrics, filled with the idea of kowtowing to some inbred, sour faced old crone are disgusting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA17CsRffXI
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

@JamesTapsfield: Labour says Corbyn simply forgot to include pre-briefed section about "enemy within" in his speech

How very Ed Miliband.

I thought that was a joke. It isn't?
    TGOHF said:

Scott_P said:

How very Ed Miliband.

• taffys said:

I see Corbyn has created a new thought crime

'Poverty denial'

Cue Daily Mail stories on the 'poverty stricken' with SKY subscriptions and 40-a day habits.....
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Dair said:

SeanT said:

The excuse that he's a republican makes me want to barf. This isn't about him, it's about respecting the fallen and singing OUR national anthem. Until we're a republic [never in my view], he should sing it for the purpose that it signifies.

The pulled down tie just looks like he's a teenager who doesn't want to look smart at a funeral.

SeanT said:

Ed Miliband: "Whenever I look at Jeremy Corbyn in a half buttoned shirt and tie I just think DISRESPECT"

Rilly. This is Corbyn's biggest fuck up yet. You're either gonna go to an RAF memorial in a properly buttunoed shirt and tie, ready to sing the national anthem - or you're not.

You don't turn up just to make it plain you feel no respect whatsoever for proceedings, whistling and sneering, looking at your watch, sighing heavily, smirking.

What a tit.

As a devout atheist, I never join in with any recitation of the Lord's Prayer or similar thing when present at an event where such a thing takes place.

That is no different to a republican not joining in with a song that exists to worship monarchy

If our national anthem was 'Land of Hope and Glory' (as I think it probably should be) then he certainly should join in
    You're not the leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. Hoping to be elected prime minister. In a country where 70% of the people are monarchists.

Also why the F can't he just do up his fecking top button? This is a memorial for the dead. How old is he? 13?

Plato is right: he's acting like an adolescent who wants to show his rebellious disrespect but hasn't actually got the bollocks to boycott the event entirely.

Things change. Ironically, if the BBC is properly gutted by the Tories then the main tool of propaganda for the monarchy will be gone and that 70% will start to slide.

What a nasty post.
  • Dair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

As for the song, it;'s a disgraceful dirge, woeful on every level .
    Almost as bad as 'Flower of Scotland'!

Now the French, much as it pains me to write it, have a stirring national anthem.

Imagine that scene in Casablanca with GSTQ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA17CsRffXI
    Doesn't matter who sings it. Anyone who does demeans themselves and shows an complete lack of self-respect.
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

Dair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

What a nasty post.
    Nothing nasty about it.

It's time the Windsor Gang were exposed, removed from office and their ill-gotten gains stripped under PoCA.
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

Doesn't matter who sings it. Anyone who does demeans themselves and shows an complete lack of self-respect.
    It's a shame they dropped the third verse.

'Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King.'
    ''Cue Daily Mail stories on the 'poverty stricken' with SKY subscriptions and 40-a day habits..... ''

I guess so, but I was thinking it might come as more of a huge shock to the many labour MPs who probably back limits and don't want to defend unlimited benefits on the doorstep.
    Dair said:

JEO said:

Dair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

What a nasty post.
    Nothing nasty about it.

It's time the Windsor Gang were exposed, removed from office and their ill-gotten gains stripped under PoCA.
    Insulting a woman in her 80s for being ugly is indeed very nasty.

Every party and faction has its nasty followers, but I am always surprised how the majority of Scottish nationalists and Corbyn supporters seem to be so aggressive and insulting.

Dair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

Now the French, much as it pains me to write it, have a stirring national anthem.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM
    The Marseillaise is a pretty good anthem.

Flower has an utterly terrible tune and even worse it is very hard to get the metre right as can be heard by any number of terrible renditions by Scotland fans at the football and rugby.

I'm pretty staunch for Caledonia as the anthem after 2018.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited September 2015
    Poor Dair - trying to be wight on controversial and grab some attention because the Indy Ref is so last year and Corbyn baiting is en vogue.

GIN1138 said:

A better analogy is a spurned lover who tries to get back at their ex by recording themselves doing degrading acts with strange men.
  • I'm a republican and I'd respectfully sing our national anthem at a memorial for our war dead.

Don't conflate/tarnish republicanism with a lack of respect.
  • Corbyn clearly looks so out of his depth and with unrelenting 24/7 media scrutiny either he is going to blow a fuse at some point or more likely stand down to return to his comfort zone on the back benches
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Anyone know what's tipped our favourite North Britain into full meltdown? Brasso chasers, to the turps?
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

Dair said:

Nothing nasty about it.

Every party and faction has its nasty followers, but I am always surprised how the majority of Scottish nationalists and Corbyn supporters seem to be so aggressive and insulting.
    Except I'm making no comment on her looks.

She is a sour faced old crone as she appears to demonstrate very little empathy to other people and appears to exist in a permanent state of turning up her nose and scowling at the public.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,873

I'm a republican and I'd respectfully sing our national anthem at a memorial for our war dead.

He did make a tribute to the war dead though
  • Dair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

Objectively, GSTQ is a pretty good anthem I would say - melodic, short, memorable. Flower of Scotland I've heard so many times and I still couldn't hum it. It just seems to drone on interminably with brief bits of tune around 'Scotland' and 'England' (surprisingly enough).
  • Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3235116/Jeremy-Corbyn-gets-message-paying-tribute-Battle-Britain-greets-David-Cameron-time-Labour-leader.html#ixzz3loYGUUsX

Bloody hell it gets worse - he even had the bottom of his tie tucked into his non-suit trousers! No wonder the knot was pulling away from his undone top button!
  • Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

I take it you're the '1' in the YouGov who didnt rate Nicola '99' in the 'doing a good job' ratings.....?
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

Dair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM-E2H1ChJM
    The Marseillaise is a pretty good anthem.

Flower has an utterly terrible tune and even worse it is very hard to get the metre right as can be heard by any number of terrible renditions by Scotland fans at the football and rugby.

I'm pretty staunch for Caledonia as the anthem after 2018.
    Lord Rockingham's already got the new anthem sorted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wioh5qUj7fM
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,812
    Afternoon all :)

My first chance to comment on the election of Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader. First, congratulations to his campaign team who completely out-maneuvered the lacklustre offerings of the other candidates. A number of other factors aided Team Corbyn immensely but the fact was he won and won handsomely.

The predictable rantings of those not well disposed toward him or Labour notwithstanding, it is a well versed political tactic to try to create an initial negative impression in the minds of the electorate and had Burnham, Cooper or Kendall won, we'd have seen something similar though of a different nature (is he up to it, is her husband running the show, she's nice but has no experience etc, etc).

I opined last week that on election Corbyn would begin to tack toward a more unifying position within Labour - the choice of McDonnell as Shadow Chancellor has been used as an argument against that but you have to reward your campaign manager - after all, John Major made Norman Lamont Chancellor and then dumped him three years later so I wouldn't assume McDonnell is there for 2020.

Labour's inability to articulate any kind of alternative economic strategy from 2010-15 (even an incoherent one) was, for me, the greatest failure of the Ed Miliband leadership. That key area of politics was abandoned wholly to Osborne and the Coalition. McDonnell will be tasked with coming up with something which, however fanciful (and that didn't do Tsipras any harm electorally initially) will at least be different to Osbornomics.

I'm not really that bothered about how Corbyn dresses (look at Hague at Notting Hill in 1997) or whether he sings the National Anthem and the idea of him as a threat to economic security, national security and family security is laughable (a gross over reaction from Team Cameron). It's also absurd to imagine Labour having any policies now - it's four months after an election and it's the Conservatives who are in Government.

Corbyn has tacked on the EU and on foreign policy since being elected though all that has done has moved the position from clearly wrong to incoherent. It's not unreasonable to wait to see the outcome of Cameron's re-negotiation before taking a view and on Syria, given fault lines on the Conservative side, it's astute not to come down too firmly on one side until the text of any motion is put before the HoC. The problem with not being decisive is it makes you look indecisive (well, it would, wouldn't it ?).

The prospect of Cameron, Corbyn and Farage sharing a LEAVE platform with Tim Farron all alone on the REMAIN platform still seems fanciful but can no longer be ruled out. As for Syria, if the Assad regime collapses, the humanitarian disaster of a flight of people from places like Latakia and Tartus will make what has happened so far seem immaterial.

• Events since Saturday have confirmed what I said then, Corbyn has no interest in becoming PM, he actually has no interest in the Labour Party, this is one big ego tripping vanity project. He's cruising around with two fingers up to everybody.

Good for him, people might say, but he's the leader of the opposition not a local councillor, the man's a fool.
    Umm, that could be marvellous or an EdStone of suicide policies http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11865408/Jeremy-Corbyn-faces-hostile-Labour-MPs-as-Government-prepares-6bn-tax-credits-cut-live.html
    Mr Corbyn wants to make Labour more democratic. He says the number of people who voted for him were "more than twice" the number of Tory party members in the whole country.

He wants a "democratic process where we make policy together" and that we "live in an age where we can share our views together".

"I want everyone to bring their views forward," he declares, adding that the party "can develop ideas organically".

He said: "If everyone has been involved in that policy making, they own the policy in the end. We can go through to 2020 we a series of certainities.

"Above all we are going to win in 2020 so we can see the end of this Tory government."
  • Dair said:

JEO said:

Dair said:

Nothing nasty about it.

She is a sour faced old crone
    That isn't a comment on her looks?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Dair said:

JEO said:

Dair said:

Nothing nasty about it.

She is a sour faced old crone as she appears to demonstrate very little empathy to other people and appears to exist in a permanent state of turning up her nose and scowling at the public.
    You have a remarkable lack of self-awareness.
  • isam said:

I'm a republican and I'd respectfully sing our national anthem at a memorial for our war dead.

He did make a tribute to the war dead though
    Good. (y)

Probably best to draw a line at that then. The RAF is more important than partisan squabbles that can wait.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    SeanT said:

*cough*

ICE TWINS is number FOUR on the paperback bestseller list.

Heh.

People read it for the blood-eagling scene.
  • SeanT said:

*cough*

Heh.

Oh, did you write that book? You should have told us, instead of being so shy and retiring. :)
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    DAIR So "Sour faced".."Old" given that she is in her 80s..how observant you are "Scowling" if these are not meant to be rude I wonder what you think is rude.Has the midge season been bad this year.. it seems to have affected the thought processes of the Scots contingent on PB
    Dair said:

crone
    krəʊn
    noun
    an ugly old woman.
    @PoliticalPics: Jeremy Corbyn leaving St Pauls Battle of Britain ceremony takes 2 free lunch bags which were offered to Veteran's http://t.co/wiQQqpWGDH
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    ST Well done..I will be in Smiths on Sloane Sq tomorrow..so it might just go further up the charts
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143

Umm, that could be marvellous or an EdStone of suicide policies http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/Jeremy_Corbyn/11865408/Jeremy-Corbyn-faces-hostile-Labour-MPs-as-Government-prepares-6bn-tax-credits-cut-live.html

Mr Corbyn wants to make Labour more democratic. He says the number of people who voted for him were "more than twice" the number of Tory party members in the whole country.

He wants a "democratic process where we make policy together" and that we "live in an age where we can share our views together".

"I want everyone to bring their views forward," he declares, adding that the party "can develop ideas organically".

He said: "If everyone has been involved in that policy making, they own the policy in the end. We can go through to 2020 we a series of certainities.

"Above all we are going to win in 2020 so we can see the end of this Tory government."
    I want my free owl.

• surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Will Corbyn kneel ? Who cares ? The Aussies now have a conservative republican as their PM.

Remember Spycatcher ?
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    stodge said:

My first chance to comment on the election of Jeremy Corbyn as Labour leader. First, congratulations to his campaign team who completely out-maneuvered the lacklustre offerings of the other candidates. A number of other factors aided Team Corbyn immensely but the fact was he won and won handsomely.

The predictable rantings of those not well disposed toward him or Labour notwithstanding, it is a well versed political tactic to try to create an initial negative impression in the minds of the electorate and had Burnham, Cooper or Kendall won, we'd have seen something similar though of a different nature (is he up to it, is her husband running the show, she's nice but has no experience etc, etc).

I opined last week that on election Corbyn would begin to tack toward a more unifying position within Labour - the choice of McDonnell as Shadow Chancellor has been used as an argument against that but you have to reward your campaign manager - after all, John Major made Norman Lamont Chancellor and then dumped him three years later so I wouldn't assume McDonnell is there for 2020.

Labour's inability to articulate any kind of alternative economic strategy from 2010-15 (even an incoherent one) was, for me, the greatest failure of the Ed Miliband leadership. That key area of politics was abandoned wholly to Osborne and the Coalition. McDonnell will be tasked with coming up with something which, however fanciful (and that didn't do Tsipras any harm electorally initially) will at least be different to Osbornomics.

I'm not really that bothered about how Corbyn dresses (look at Hague at Notting Hill in 1997) or whether he sings the National Anthem and the idea of him as a threat to economic security, national security and family security is laughable (a gross over reaction from Team Cameron). It's also absurd to imagine Labour having any policies now - it's four months after an election and it's the Conservatives who are in Government.

Corbyn has tacked on the EU and on foreign policy since being elected though all that has done has moved the position from clearly wrong to incoherent. It's not unreasonable to wait to see the outcome of Cameron's re-negotiation before taking a view and on Syria, given fault lines on the Conservative side, it's astute not to come down too firmly on one side until the text of any motion is put before the HoC. The problem with not being decisive is it makes you look indecisive (well, it would, wouldn't it ?).

The prospect of Cameron, Corbyn and Farage sharing a LEAVE platform with Tim Farron all alone on the REMAIN platform still seems fanciful but can no longer be ruled out. As for Syria, if the Assad regime collapses, the humanitarian disaster of a flight of people from places like Latakia and Tartus will make what has happened so far seem immaterial.

Good post, Stodge. Why did Farron abstain on the TU bill ?

• Dair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

So, as the name suggests, I've worked in France.

Watching the rugby, the topic of national anthems came up. I defended the French anthem, saying it was stirring and quite martial. Someone asked me to sing the tune, as they'd forgotten it/couldn't place it.

The tune I came up with was not The Marseillaise

It was Deutschland Uber Alles.

whoops.
  • JEO said:

Dair said:

crone
    krəʊn
    noun
    an ugly old woman.
    SOURFACED
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

A bit of a donkey-jacket moment, me thinks.

Scott_P said:

Right wing rag...

@GdnPolitics: Corbyn stands silent during national anthem at Battle of Britain service http://t.co/vYWWqQP3tx

Not obvious enough. Most people will just see he is wearing a tie
    edited September 2015

ST Well done..I will be in Smiths on Sloane Sq tomorrow..so it might just go further up the charts

Good luck with that. It closed 11 years ago.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,143
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

*cough*

Heh.

Oh, did you write that book? You should have told us, instead of being so shy and retiring. :)
    lol. I will shut up now. Probably.
    Oh FFS who gives a toss about the bloody ICE TWINS, number FOUR, blah blah

Joking.

Anyway I now have to WORK. Later.

(PS Have bought.)

• Not singing the national anthem is not disrespectful of anything. Being disrespectful would be not standing, or looking down or talking through it etc. God knows I am not JC's greatest fan, but not even I would criticise him for failing to make a fool of himself by singing a song whose words he does not believe in.

But not doing his tie up, wearing a shirt that is a couple of sizes too big and not wearing a suit is a sin. He stood for election to an office of state and that comes with ceremonial responsibilities that he knew full well about. What's more, he is representing nine million plus Labour voters, if nothing else he should make an effort not to embarrass them.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Ed Miliband appears to have been succeeded by Ed Miliband's dad.

Not singing the national anthem is not disrespectful of anything. Being disrespectful would be not standing, or looking down or talking through it etc. God knows I am not JC's greatest fan, but not even I would criticise him for failing to make a fool of himself by singing a song whose words he does not believe in.

But not doing his tie up, wearing a shirt that is a couple of sizes too big and not wearing a suit is a sin. He stood for election to an office of state and that comes with ceremonial responsibilities that he knew full well about. What's more, he is representing nine million plus Labour voters, if nothing else he should make an effort not to embarrass them.

It's just like Gordon Brown. He's one of those left-wingers that takes an adolescent pride in not conforming at respectful occasions. It reminds me of my teenage cousin that insisted on wearing trainers at his sister's wedding.
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    Just incase anyone missed it. From BBC News:

Lord Falconer made it clear that he would not stay in the shadow cabinet if the Labour leadership decided to campaign to leave the EU. This is what he said:
    "If the Labour Party adopts a position which says we might leave the EU and might argue against it then of course my position would become impossible at that point. But that's not the current position."

So risk of a resignation from there only adds to Corbyn's many worries.
  • Watford30..Bugger is it in Waterstones perhaps.. anyway I will be lurking in SOHO and Ken High so I will probably find it somewhere.. bit of a challenge now
    Pauly said:

Lord Falconer made it clear that he would not stay in the shadow cabinet if the Labour leadership decided to campaign to leave the EU. This is what he said:
    "If the Labour Party adopts a position which says we might leave the EU and might argue against it then of course my position would become impossible at that point. But that's not the current position."

Corbyn could just give his shadow cabinet a free vote, as happened in the 1973 referendum. It would force Cameron to do the same.
  • You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!

- M. H. Thatcher, 3/5/1989.

Watford30..Bugger is it in Waterstones perhaps.. anyway I will be lurking in SOHO and Ken High so I will probably find it somewhere.. bit of a challenge now

Try Waterstones on Piccadilly. I'd be surprised if Hatchards sold 'Penny Dreadfuls'.
  • Has Lord Falconer ever been elected to anything? An old mate of Blair's, Corbyn needs to be rid of these cronies.
    DT live
    We're told that this statement by Hilary Benn, the shadow foreign secretary, has been approved by Mr Corbyn. It might go some way to clearing up the confusion around whether Mr Corbyn would campaign to leave the EU or not.

Quote Being in Europe has protected and improved workers' rights in Britain, giving everyone statutory paid holiday, limits on working hours and improved maternity and paternity leave. We are strongly opposed to any attempt by David Cameron to try and weaken these, but the truth is if we want to protect workers' rights the answer isn't to leave the EU, but to get rid of this Tory Government.

“That's why the Labour Party has always been committed to not walking away, but staying in to work together for a better Europe.”
    Pauly said:

• WATFORD30.. I have to drop in to BAFTA..I don't think it is too far away..Thanks
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    So mass immigration pro-Europe Corbyn Labour party just ruled out any chance of winning back UKIP voters like me. Hope it's not too brutal for him.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Not singing the national anthem is not disrespectful of anything. Being disrespectful would be not standing, or looking down or talking through it etc. God knows I am not JC's greatest fan, but not even I would criticise him for failing to make a fool of himself by singing a song whose words he does not believe in.

It is just conceivable that as yet he simply doesn't have the wardrobe. He's 66 & has presumably never needed such clothing before, and he has been a bit busy since being elected.
  • Dair is right to say that GSTQ is a dispiriting dirge. I think the England football team are already have beaten no matter how much gusto they attempt to put into it (memories of Stuart Pearce, here). It's all so pointless, given that we have Land of Hope and Glory to hand - which would just be the most stirring national anthem of them all - even better than the Marseillaise. Its use would also be a fitting tribute to the country's greatest composer, Sir Edward Elgar (Parry's Jerusalem, though good, has an inappropriate undertow of melancholy).
  • Dair said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

What a tit.

I love every word:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Corbyn pledges return to limitless benefits.

http://www.independent.co.uk/?CMP=ILC-refresh
  • ST .. Game on
  • I see Dair is busy with his JCB at the bottom of his hole.
    edited September 2015
    chestnut said:

Corbyn pledges return to limitless benefits.

http://www.independent.co.uk/?CMP=ILC-refresh

Yes, those hard working union members will love going out to work, to support those that really can't be arsed.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,282
    surbiton said:

Will Corbyn kneel ? Who cares ? The Aussies now have a conservative republican as their PM.

Remember Spycatcher ?

I can safely say that my copy has not appreciated in value.
    edited September 2015

DAIR So "Sour faced".."Old" given that she is in her 80s..how observant you are "Scowling" if these are not meant to be rude I wonder what you think is rude.Has the midge season been bad this year.. it seems to have affected the thought processes of the Scots contingent on PB

She has a permanent scowl in public and shows a clear disdain at having to slum it with commoners. She clearly despises the people she is forced to interact with.

I'm sure her defenders will just class this as unfortunate body language but they seem to defend any of the disgusting behaviour of the Windsor Gang.
    SeanT said:

AnneJGP said:

It is just conceivable that as yet he simply doesn't have the wardrobe. He's 66 & has presumably never needed such clothing before, and he has been a bit busy since being elected.
    i presume, however, that despite his mental age of 17, he has learned how to button a shirt?
    Yes, indeed, did you not notice that he was no longer revealing his vest?
  • Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    stodge said:

The prospect of Cameron, Corbyn and Farage sharing a LEAVE platform with Tim Farron all alone on the REMAIN platform still seems fanciful but can no longer be ruled out.

Surely it would be Farron and Sturgeon together?

What a pair... :-)
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Presuming the political death of the Dear Leader is a capital offence ....

If not a quite capital idea .... :smile:

DT live

We're told that this statement by Hilary Benn, the shadow foreign secretary, has been approved by Mr Corbyn. It might go some way to clearing up the confusion around whether Mr Corbyn would campaign to leave the EU or not.

Quote Being in Europe has protected and improved workers' rights in Britain, giving everyone statutory paid holiday, limits on working hours and improved maternity and paternity leave. We are strongly opposed to any attempt by David Cameron to try and weaken these, but the truth is if we want to protect workers' rights the answer isn't to leave the EU, but to get rid of this Tory Government.

“That's why the Labour Party has always been committed to not walking away, but staying in to work together for a better Europe.”
    Pauly said:

Has Mr Corbyn yet had a face-to-face with the media, or is he putting out all communiques via spokespeople?
    Dair said:

She has a permanent scowl in public and shows a clear disdain at having to slum it with commoners. She clearly despises the people she is forced to interact with.

Why do you keep repeating the same comments about Sturgeon?

• Wwatford 30 Not surprised Smiths closed.. it was a dreadful shop..
    edited September 2015
    AnneJGP said:

He's never needed to buy a shirt that fits him before? For goodness sake, he only needs a standard suit and shirt that fit, not a morning suit.