Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Who voted for Corbyn

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    edited September 2015
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Scathing assessment of Corbyn by a voter in Hartlepool on Newsnight 'If he cannot be bothered to put an effort into his own appearance why would he be bothered with the appearance of the country?'

He looked fine. Honestly, I'm all for the Tories and the press going heavy on the guy, in some areas he sure deserves it, and regardless yes it is something that he has to get used to if he wants to be LoTo, but they are seriously turning me Corbyn over here.
    This was an average voter in working class Hartlepool, not the Tories, not the Sun, a voter in a seat with a Labour MP expressing his view of Corbyn. If he gets that reaction in a northern Labour seat I dread to think the reaction he will be getting in Midlands marginals and the South
    I accept ordinary people will feel the same, I was using it as a jumping off point to reference the general attacks from Tories and the media. I have no doubt the public will not like what Corbyn is selling, and by all means go in hard on him, but I just want them to tone it down a little - as the ordinary voter shows, you can flag these things up and the work does itself, you don't have to go in so hard on the pettier stuff, save that for his bigger demons.
    I am sorry, but this is the big leagues. Corbyn is putting himself forward to be PM of this country, if he did not want the Tories to throw the kitchen sink at him he should have stuck to running to be chairman of the committee running his allotment!
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725
    Looks like a solution Kippers would be OK with

Refugees vow to starve themselves to death if Hungary-Serbia border not opened
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Will the Tax Credit Statutory Instrument be voted on in the Lords?

Or does the Lords just nod through all SIs?

Or is the Lords unable to stop it as it relates to money?
  • SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    So the "national security threat" has unleashed a button bomb on our dearest Queen, how dare he.
    What rubbish, what's the next criticism from Tories? That he doesn't shave?

• isamisam Posts: 40,732

Not refugees then are they
  • DairDair Posts: 6,108
    kle4 said:

Dair said:

The BBC are quite an amazingly ridiculous organisation.

They just make a 90 minute TV Movie which made out GTA to be a danger to society, Rockstar to be criminals who are getting away with murder and run by mentally deranged psycopaths.

This attacking the most successful software export the UK has ever had,

Then at the end of it they flashed up one of their "Learn Coding" adverts.

Truly bizarre.

Sounds terrible. What a great series GTA has been.
    I was quite surprised by the clear BBC agenda on the TV Movie. I doubt Radcliffe is cheap so I didn't expect to see him being portrayed as the evil Mr Big of violet video game nasties.

Some of the cinematography, however, was excellent, they show a murderer driving away from shooting some cops in a police car and the scene played out exactly like a scene from San Andreas.

But other than that, the sympathy they showed for a ludicrous and deranged moral crusader and hatred they showed for a Scottish success story was appalling.
  • HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    watford30 said:

Monbiot is a tool.

Was about the post something similar, refers to the press barons as Nazi sympathisers and then complains about the press trying to frame the debate.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Speedy said:

So the "national security threat" has unleashed a button bomb on our dearest Queen, how dare he.

My mum says never trust a man with a beard - he's got something to hide.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Several people on this thread have gleefully insulted my faith without any sense of respect for the feelings of others. But I do not think they should be killed. Nor do I think their words should be banned or that they should have their careers ruined or protests outside their homes. That is the difference between my faith and some others.
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

A large chin?
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Corbyn must be the scruffiest MP in the house.

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

A large chin?
    Jimmy Hill lives!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

A large chin?
    No, not enough chin - the beard's for the illusion of a stronger jaw.

Or is that just me, when I dare grow one?
    Simon Danczuk: Corbyn is 'too left-wing, too untidy, too scruffy'
    Dair said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

They just make a 90 minute TV Movie which made out GTA to be a danger to society, Rockstar to be criminals who are getting away with murder and run by mentally deranged psycopaths.

Truly bizarre.

I was quite surprised by the clear BBC agenda on the TV Movie. I doubt Radcliffe is cheap so I didn't expect to see him being portrayed as the evil Mr Big of violet video game nasties.

Some of the cinematography, however, was excellent, they show a murderer driving away from shooting some cops in a police car and the scene played out exactly like a scene from San Andreas.

But other than that, the sympathy they showed for a ludicrous and deranged moral crusader and hatred they showed for a Scottish success story was appalling.
    What does a video game like GTA have to do with the SNP ?

But of course everything has to revolve around the SNP or else it's a vast conspiracy.
    edited September 2015

When you were holed up in that Tunisian hotel room, would you have been happy to get anywhere safe or only the best hotel in town?
  • TGOHF said:

JEO said:

We should have a new national anthem or a separate one for England.

I nominate either Rule Britannia, Land of Hope of Glory or Bohemian Rhapsody.

Jerusalem is a bloody dirge and anyone who thinks it should be our national anthem should lose the vote.

Jerusalem is a wonderful. I don't know how anyone can call those high notes a dirge, especially when compared to the current anthem. We should have Jerusalem for England and Land of Hope and Glory for the UK.
    I go to a lot of England cricket matches. They sing it before each day's play.

It does nothing for me.
    no anthem needs played before cricket starts - nonsense from the ECB.
    I did agree with them singing it a few years ago at Old Trafford.

The lady singer was someone you'd like to [insert crude cricket sexual innuendo here something to do with ball tampering]
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Scathing assessment of Corbyn by a voter in Hartlepool on Newsnight 'If he cannot be bothered to put an effort into his own appearance why would he be bothered with the appearance of the country?'

He looked fine. Honestly, I'm all for the Tories and the press going heavy on the guy, in some areas he sure deserves it, and regardless yes it is something that he has to get used to if he wants to be LoTo, but they are seriously turning me Corbyn over here.
    This was an average voter in working class Hartlepool, not the Tories, not the Sun, a voter in a seat with a Labour MP expressing his view of Corbyn. If he gets that reaction in a northern Labour seat I dread to think the reaction he will be getting in Midlands marginals and the South
    I accept ordinary people will feel the same, I was using it as a jumping off point to reference the general attacks from Tories and the media. I have no doubt the public will not like what Corbyn is selling, and by all means go in hard on him, but I just want them to tone it down a little - as the ordinary voter shows, you can flag these things up and the work does itself, you don't have to go in so hard on the pettier stuff, save that for his bigger demons.
    I am sorry, but this is the big leagues. Corbyn is putting himself forward to be PM of this country, if he did not want the Tories to throw the kitchen sink at him he should have stuck to running to be chairman of the committee running his allotment!
    You misunderstand - I don't object that they can do it, and I think Corbyn has to put up with it, it's the job after all. I just think tactically they can manage the same effect better.
    Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

Oh dear me , I can just see that now on the billboards. The party must be in utter despair.
    Indeed, the donkey jacket returns
    Cameron to be restrained in PMQ's according to Newsnight...we shall see, if he is then he cuts out half of Corbyn's plan really by simply engaging and making Corbyn a periphery figure.
    Sitting at the side, asking no questions and watching his rather weak team getting played a straight bat? Give that a few weeks and his followers will be baying for blood, they want the Tories to get a good kicking deep down...well not deep down, a little down.
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Like the guy on your profile picture.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,781
    TGOHF said:

JEO said:

Jerusalem is a bloody dirge and anyone who thinks it should be our national anthem should lose the vote.

Jerusalem is a wonderful. I don't know how anyone can call those high notes a dirge, especially when compared to the current anthem. We should have Jerusalem for England and Land of Hope and Glory for the UK.

It does nothing for me.
    Typical EU overreach
    isam said:

Yeah, they can die at home like normal people
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2015
    isam said:

Rather ironic that the Serbia that ceated so many muslim refugees in Kosovo and Bosnia is now letting in any number of muslim refugees. Is it karma or progress?
    edited September 2015
    Next Tory attack, "the national security threat wears a polo shirt, how dare he, and he has a beard, and wears jeans too ! "

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/642731808795283456/photo/1
    isam said:

When you see holed up in that Tunisian hotel room, would you have been happy to get anywhere safe or only the best hotel in town?
    Anywhere so that means I am a refugee Hurrah QED
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Cant see the big deal over Corbyn. He is a weak man who is likely to be brought down by the fact he isn't a leader and he doesn't handle scrutiny.

Your rather less pathetic character at the Shadow Treasury, now he is an unpleasant problem like a petty drug dealer who occasionally likes to hang out with the big boys. Small time but not very nice with it.
    Speedy said:

Dair said:

kle4 said:

Dair said:

Truly bizarre.

What does a video game like GTA have to do with the SNP ?

But of course everything has to revolve around the SNP or else it's a vast conspiracy.
    With oil depleted and cheap, and Scottish banks bankrupt, GTA is Scotland's last remaining export.
    edited September 2015
    Gosh, the Proudman barrister on Newsnight is a bundle of fun. Not. She's horrible.

isam said:

When you see holed up in that Tunisian hotel room, would you have been happy to get anywhere safe or only the best hotel in town?
    No it means the migrants on Serbia-Hungary border aren't
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting — the gap between the price of WTI and Brent Crude is smaller than it's been for a long time, less than $3:

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy
    Speedy said:

Next Tory attack, "the national security threat wears a polo shirt, how dare he, and he has a beard, and wears jeans too ! "

htps://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/642731808795283456/photo/1

The annotations are what sell it for me. It's not just beige, it's 'sickly shades of baige' (in fairness it is a poor colour) and so on.

I prefer my partisan, over the top media at least pretend not to be partisan and over the top, otherwise I just cannot enjoy it as much.
  • watford30 said:

kle4 said:

I've tried my best, but I can't get outraged by a lifelong Republican not singing God Save The Queen

Agreed. I don't agree with him on his republicanism, but he swears an oath to the Queen to be an MP, he'll participate in various other of our rituals, he can have one thing at least to publicly demonstrate his stance without causing a fuss (as not swearing an oath so he can serve as an MP would do)

As for not buttoning up your top button, as a regular wearer of ties since the age of 5 I can sympathise with why people might not do up their top button, especially those like Corbyn who aren't regular wearers of ties.
    One hour, that's all he had to do it for, to show respect towards thousands of people who put up with far, far worse.

What an utter twunt.
    I thought his statement was impressive and showed a lot of respect towards to all those that kept Britain free from Nazi invasion.
    Yes - it read as sincere and heartfelt. Totally buried by his basic incompetence as a politician.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,267
    MikeL said:

If I recall correctly, it has to go through the same procedure in the Lords - essentially the Opposition can force a full debate, but otherwise it slips through a committee. But others here may know better.
    AndyJS said:

Interesting — the gap between the price of WTI and Brent Crude is smaller than it's been for a long time, less than $3:

http://www.bloomberg.com/energy

Well the oil price is so low and oversupply so large around the world that it's depressing the gap.
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Yeah, they can die at home like normal people
    Why say that?

I'd have thought they'd be delighted to be away from the persecution not angry about it
    isam said:

isam said:

Boo let them die then

but in your example am I a refugee or not?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

watford30 said:

kle4 said:

I've tried my best, but I can't get outraged by a lifelong Republican not singing God Save The Queen

Agreed. I don't agree with him on his republicanism, but he swears an oath to the Queen to be an MP, he'll participate in various other of our rituals, he can have one thing at least to publicly demonstrate his stance without causing a fuss (as not swearing an oath so he can serve as an MP would do)

As for not buttoning up your top button, as a regular wearer of ties since the age of 5 I can sympathise with why people might not do up their top button, especially those like Corbyn who aren't regular wearers of ties.
    One hour, that's all he had to do it for, to show respect towards thousands of people who put up with far, far worse.

What an utter twunt.
    I thought his statement was impressive and showed a lot of respect towards to all those that kept Britain free from Nazi invasion.
    Yes - it read as sincere and heartfelt. Totally buried by his basic incompetence as a politician.
    His priggish selfishness also took the headlines away from the real stars of the show - the last of the Few.

isam said:

isam said:

Boo let them die then

but in your example am I a refugee or not?
    Have you gone mad? Post traumatic stress??

How is it the fault of the country giving them food and water?!

In my example you were desperate to get away from a life threatening place and anywhere safe would do. What's the difference?
    watford30 said:

Gosh, the Proudman barrister on Newsnight is a bundle of fun. Not. She's horrible.

I did laugh at her call for professionalism whilst wearing a scarlet ill fitting leopard print blouse and expensive but bizarre hair do.

Duller than dishwater too.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    For 20 years after Stalin's death the Soviets played their anthem without any words.

We could do the same.

Or just make singing the childish ditty optional...
    kle4 said:

Speedy said:

The annotations are what sell it for me. It's not just beige, it's 'sickly shades of baige' (in fairness it is a poor colour) and so on.

I prefer my partisan, over the top media at least pretend not to be partisan and over the top, otherwise I just cannot enjoy it as much.
    At some point we will start laughing at the poorly thought attacks, it already reminds me of Airplane! or other Zucker brothers movies or even Monty Python, "look at that man, he has a beard, a polo shirt and jeans, burn him ! " .
    edited September 2015
    RodCrosby said:

For 20 years after Stalin's death the Soviets played their anthem without any words.

We could do the same.

You know until today I didn't knew that God Save The Queen was our national anthem, I thought it was Land of Hope and Glory or something like that.
    I thought God Save The Queen was simply for official ceremonies were the Queen is present.

And with that shocking revelation goodnight.
  • PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited September 2015
    Owen Smith handled it as well as he could have on Newsnight - given the circumstances.
    BBC Scotland has been padding its news programmes all day with a story on how the First Referendum motivated lots of people to get into politics for the first time. Which is true, there's only one problem, it's almost entirely people who wanted Independence who are now into grassroots campaigning.

Of course BBC Scotland don't find that an acceptable narrative. So they have manufactered a No supporter who is now active in politics when she wasn't before - Alison Dowling.

The problem is that she isn't new to politics. She's been a campaigning Credit Unionist for 20 years with close links to Scottish Labour.

In this Youtube from 2012 she is talking about her latest anti-poverty campaign https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVRr1d1mei0
    In early 2014 she lost out on selection as a Councillor for Clydebank http://www.clydebankpost.co.uk/news/roundup/articles/2014/03/20/492281-row-as-clydebank-councillor-chosen-to-run-for-msp/

It seems the story never changes, much like Claire Lally, whenever a No supporter is presented by the BBC, any claims of ordinariness will be nothing but lies.
    Speedy said:

RodCrosby said:

We could do the same.

You know until today I didn't knew that God Save The Queen was our national anthem, I thought it was Land of Hope and Glory or something like that.
    I thought God Save The Queen was simply for official ceremonies were the Queen is present.

And with that shocking revelation goodnight.
    How did Teflon Ed handle the Murdoch attacks ?

Lost 26 seats...
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,267

If Corbyn had sung the bloody thing, nobody would have noticed (contra John Redwood). The

You reckon? I think they'd have done him for hypocrisy, like the "Corbyn will bend the knee" stuff about accepting the Privy Council appointment.

Personally, I used both with the anthem and prayers in church to sing only the bits I agreed with - fine with a hypothetical god keeping the Queen alive (verse 1), but draw the line at adding further riches (verse 2). But I can see that's too fiddly for a party leader. Respectful silence seems a sensible solution.
  • Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    isam said:

When you were holed up in that Tunisian hotel room, would you have been happy to get anywhere safe or only the best hotel in town?
    It must have been truly horrific in that situation in Tunisia and I cannot start to imagine what it must have been like. In saying that this is a very good point.

You are a refugee to your first point of safety or safe country where you request help / asylum. After that and if you continue to travel you simply become an economic migrant.

That of course does not help a country like Hungary that they all initially arrive into. That's Merkels folly though and having opened the gates she slammed them shut in their faces. She now demands that we "have a meeting" to discuss the crisis she caused. Bloody shame she didn't have a meeting first before arbitrarily deciding what the EU was going to do. That strikes off arrogance and everyone does as we say or we will blackmail you with reduction of funds.

It's a mess and all that has happened is Merkel has moved the problem from the camps of Syria into the heart of the EU without any negotiation or thought. The single most stupid decision made in many a year of the EU and that's saying something.

She should resign ....tonight. Either way She has no credibility left and her dominance should end here and now.
    In case anyone haven't seen this I recommend "The long Walk" a film directed by Peter Weir and starring Ed Harris. Based on the book of the true story.

A remarkable and compelling film.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    The problem for Corbyn isn't just not singing the national anthem. Its that its a symbolic act that ties so closely with his tradtional antipathy to British patriotism and his alignment with various enemies.
    Moses_ said:

In case anyone haven't seen this I recommend "The long Walk" a film directed by Peter Weir and starring Ed Harris. Based on the book of the true story.

I think you mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_Back

The Long Walk was the book title.
    In case you missed it, Chris Mullin 'PM Jeremy Corbyn: The first 100 days'. (Something for Corbynites to dream over anyway)
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/14/prime-minister-jeremy-corbyn-the-first-100-days#comment-59563131
  • Basically, we have got a crap national anthem. Sounds awful, with lyrics to alienate atheists and / or republicans. (I know that some of these groups aren't bothered by it - I'm generalising)

On top of that, only England have to put up with it at footy matches. With added "No Surrender" sung half way through for good measure.

Italy, France or Russia have a one-goal start, purely on the back of the anthems.

Let's get Billy Bragg to write us a new one.

Oh, and any odds on Gillard becoming first prez of Oz?
    edited September 2015

If Corbyn had sung the bloody thing, nobody would have noticed (contra John Redwood). The

You reckon? I think they'd have done him for hypocrisy, like the "Corbyn will bend the knee" stuff about accepting the Privy Council appointment.

snip
    Poor old Jeremy, stuck between a rock and a hard place. He'd better get used o it, as there are 30 years worth of contradictions lined up.

It's hard to imagine that Labour could possibly have chosen someone more unsuited for party leader, and that of a senior politician with all the role entails.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Y0kel said:

Cant see the big deal over Corbyn. He is a weak man who is likely to be brought down by the fact he isn't a leader and he doesn't handle scrutiny.

Your rather less pathetic character at the Shadow Treasury, now he is an unpleasant problem like a petty drug dealer who occasionally likes to hang out with the big boys. Small time but not very nice with it.

Was browsing a previous thread & followed a link to an interview with Messrs Corbyn & McDonnell, just before GE2015. Mr McDonnell said they don't believe in 'leaders'. That implies to me that the Labour party now has a committee as leader.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

You misunderstand - I don't object that they can do it, and I think Corbyn has to put up with it, it's the job after all. I just think tactically they can manage the same effect better.
    Anyway, the response of the voter was umprompted, Tory attacks or not Corbyn is doing their work for them

Basically, we have got a crap national anthem. Sounds awful, with lyrics to alienate atheists and / or republicans. (I know that some of these groups aren't bothered by it - I'm generalising)

On top of that, only England have to put up with it at footy matches. With added "No Surrender" sung half way through for good measure.

Italy, France or Russia have a one-goal start, purely on the back of the anthems.

Bragg has already written a new National Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhlP6AfptY
  • RodCrosby said:

We could do the same.

Or bring back the old second verse about defeating Her Majesty's enemies and confounding their knavish tricks, and this one:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
    May by thy mighty aid
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush.
    God save the King.
    Dair said:

Moses_ said:

I think you mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_Back

The Long Walk was the book title.
    Yes I did . I was just scanning to see if I could find the book which is as you say the long walk hence the crossover.
    AnneJGP said:

Y0kel said:

Was browsing a previous thread & followed a link to an interview with Messrs Corbyn & McDonnell, just before GE2015. Mr McDonnell said they don't believe in 'leaders'. That implies to me that the Labour party now has a committee as leader.
    The Labour representative on Newsnight was running with a line on Benefit Caps, contradicting what Corbyn suggested earlier. They really are in a mess.
  • Basically, we have got a crap national anthem. Sounds awful, with lyrics to alienate atheists and / or republicans. (I know that some of these groups aren't bothered by it - I'm generalising)

England Cricket has adopted Jerusalem, which seems to me to fit the bill admirably.
  • HaroldO said:

Cameron to be restrained in PMQ's according to Newsnight...we shall see, if he is then he cuts out half of Corbyn's plan really by simply engaging and making Corbyn a periphery figure.
    Sitting at the side, asking no questions and watching his rather weak team getting played a straight bat? Give that a few weeks and his followers will be baying for blood, they want the Tories to get a good kicking deep down...well not deep down, a little down.

LOTO gets just 6 questions at the most. Its not asking much of him. I'm sure a sensible question will get a sensible answer. If the LOTO asks no questions then other front benchers cannot expect to ask any. Other than the privilege of the LOTO to ask 6 then the real opportunity should be given to backbenchers. But I thought he had assured the party he was going to ask the questions.

Basically, we have got a crap national anthem. Sounds awful, with lyrics to alienate atheists and / or republicans. (I know that some of these groups aren't bothered by it - I'm generalising)

England Cricket has adopted Jerusalem, which seems to me to fit the bill admirably.
    That's quite bizarre, especially as they aren't a specifically English team.

If there is one outfit that really has to stick with the current UK Anthem it's the test team of the EWCB.
  • kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Tories have not done anything. The tories have not put a single thought in Corbyn's head they are all his own. His behaviour is all his own. So how the tories 'manage' has not been put to any test yet. Corbyn has and has been shown to know how not to behave.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Anyway, the response of the voter was umprompted, Tory attacks or not Corbyn is doing their work for them
    Indeed, I've witnessed such itself. They don't need to overegg the pudding.

Would be great to see JC asked what he thought of Jerusalem..

'The Palestinian people have every right to claim it as their capital... D'oh!'
  • Dair said:

That's quite bizarre, especially as they aren't a specifically English team.

If there is one outfit that really has to stick with the current UK Anthem it's the test team of the EWCB.
    It takes the field as England, not England and Wales.

MikeL said:

If I recall correctly, it has to go through the same procedure in the Lords - essentially the Opposition can force a full debate, but otherwise it slips through a committee. But others here may know better.
    Thanks Nick.

If that's right then surely Lab + LD can team up and definitely defeat it - even if Crossbenchers break heavily in favour of the Govt that won't be enough to get it through.

But I'm a bit uncertain because the Lords can't stop anything to do with money so I would have thought this would come within that definition. But I don't know.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    On topic (well, someone has to be):

The key fact here is that, however you cut it, however you dice it, in every single category, including pre-Ed Miliband Labour members, Corbyn was the clear victor. OK he got 'only' 44% on the first round amongst the pre-2010 members, but even that can leave us in no doubt that he would have won overall even if only pre-2010 full members had been allowed to vote.

In other words: Sorry, guys and gals of old Labour, new Labour, entryist Labour, union Labour, hangers-on, activists, old faithfuls, the lot: you are all in it together. Suck it up, as the vulgar say. You can't blame anyone but yourselves.

Edit: To be fair, I suppose MPs should be exempted from this. Corbyn would definitely not have won amongst those who actually need to work with him. I'm not sure that the party can take much consolation from that, however.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Dair said:

Bragg has already written a new National Anthem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPhlP6AfptY
    Billy Bragg once called me a "rich tory tw*t" in a local newspaper. At the time i was living in a council house with my mum, on a zero hours contract.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed, I've witnessed such itself. They don't need to overegg the pudding.
    Impressions are normally formed of new leaders in the first few years, Cameron looked like a winner, Blair looked like a winner, Hague and IDS did not, Ed Miliband did not and Corbyn does not, that really is all there is too it, short of a depression he will not be PM and I doubt he will even be Labour leader by the 2020 election, instead it will probably be Hilary Benn. Night
  • HYUFD said:

Impressions are normally formed of new leaders in the first few years, Cameron looked like a winner, Blair looked like a winner, Hague and IDS did not, Ed Miliband did not and Corbyn does not, that really is all there is too it, short of a depression he will not be PM and I doubt he will even be Labour leader by the 2020 election, instead it will probably be Hilary Benn. Night

These impressions are very quickly formed - and unless you manage things properly, you are defined by others rather by you and your team. And Corbyn isn't managing things properly. At all.

We have had 3 days where near enough every choice he has made has backfired to some extent.

Some of that is unfair. Some of it is utterly justified.

But Corbyn is going to be defined in the eyes of many, many, many voters by this initial period (coming on top of his 30 years in politics) - and it is not going to play to his (or Labour's) advantage.

He was never going to find it easy. But he is making is much harder than he needs to.
  • Moses_ said:

isam said:

It's a mess and all that has happened is Merkel has moved the problem from the camps of Syria into the heart of the EU without any negotiation or thought. The single most stupid decision made in many a year of the EU and that's saying something.

She should resign ....tonight. Either way She has no credibility left and her dominance should end here and now.
    Agree. As Forsyth puts it in the Speccie:

Of all the irresponsible decisions taken in recent years by European politicians, few will cause as much human misery as Angela Merkel’s plan to welcome Syrian refugees to Germany. Hailed as enlightened moral leadership, it is in fact the result of panic and muddled thinking. Her pronouncements will lure thousands more into the hands of unscrupulous people-traffickers. Her insistence that the rest of the continent should share the burden will add political instability to the mix. Merkel has made a dire situation worse.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9628872/merkels-big-gesture-on-syrian-refugees-will-lead-to-many-more-deaths-at-sea/

HYUFD said:

These impressions are very quickly formed - and unless you manage things properly, you are defined by others rather by you and your team. And Corbyn isn't managing things properly. At all.

We have had 3 days where near enough every choice he has made has backfired to some extent.

Some of that is unfair. Some of it is utterly justified.

But Corbyn is going to be defined in the eyes of many, many, many voters by this initial period (coming on top of his 30 years in politics) - and it is not going to play to his (or Labour's) advantage.

He was never going to find it easy. But he is making is much harder than he needs to.
    Indeed, really you can say you are defined by your first few days and Corbyn's have certainly been no triumph, night
  • Meanwhile, on the government's 'precarious majority':

The government has a working majority of 16. But today it managed to win a tricky vote in the House of Commons that its own MPs were threatening to rebel on, and that the DUP had said it wouldn’t help the government on. The measure was on tax credits, and the government got a majority of 35.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/isabel-hardman/2015/09/government-gets-majority-of-35-after-labour-whipping-shambles/
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Ah, where there we diverge - I cannot wear a tie without the top button done up, and feel a cringe when others do. Why not just wear a viking helmet while you're at it? barbarians.
    Oh I always button up my top button.

The fashion faux pas that annoys me no end is (visible) white socks with black suits.
    Being a fashion disaster does not preclude you from being PM - or from editing a block. Not being good at fashion however (like wot I am not) should encourage us to follow convention on those occasions when we are in the public eye - not spit in its eye.
    Not having the nous to do that rather exposes ones lack of nous. When such people try then to tell me that they think they know better than me how to run my life then I rather think I can recognise which fundament they are talking from.
  • 'Poverty Deniers' made the front page.....of the Morning Star......

http://suttonnick.tumblr.com/
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    TGOHF said:

I’m a Londoner and the career pinkos holding many of the London Labour seats make my flesh creep. The largely London-centric nature of JC’s rabble who’ve never done a proper days work in their puff are probably unappealing on that basis alone, to working men with calloused hands. Add in the London-centric rabble’s propensity for arrogance, an open arms attitude to unfettered immigration and disrespect for what many such working men hold to be traditional values and given what I suspect is a general loathing for London-centricity per se, I think they are a gift for UKIP (sans Farage).

Whilst in 2020 JC’s Labour has to win non Labour voters from 2015, it also has to hang on to its 2015 voters. I think there are lots of voting working men’s club members and their ilk who will be horrified by Labour’s idiocy. I suspect that JC has little chance of hanging on to these whatever he does. He just has too much baggage.

Is there any analysis of the breakdown of the shadow cabinet showing such as location of seats, whether they’ve actually ever done a “get your hands dirty” kind of job, whether they’ve been SPADs or done similar political work? I suspect that these kind of issues matter much more to non-Londoners of all complexions than to Labour Londoners who've become inured to being presented with such types as Labour candidates.

Turn on Newsnight now - hey are interviewing Labour voters.

Plus the pudding bowl Barnet lawyer who doesn't like LinkedIn messages on looks...
    I put Newsnight and the Papers on to record so that I can pause and take a piss rather than blow a fuse. It works for me most of the time. I have caught up now.

The Labour voters Newsnight featured are those I and (I presume) yesterday's poster were thinking about. Although it seems trivial, respect has always been important but called respectful in my time. Part of being respectful was being appropriately dressed - you wore "Sunday best" on Sundays to church and other days when respectfulness was required. Also when you attended a ceremony of some description which you might not consider important but was important to others, you showed respect by not flouting your opinion in any way - respectfulness. This is polite in polite company. I think Newsnight's piece showed how disrespectful pinkos often are whilst working folk hold it dear. JC and his ilk will never understand that, because their upbringing has been lacking or their parents have not been respected.

I thought when watching your lawyer how desperate she must be for work. I didn't think she was physically attractive (even for being a few decades younger than me and very carefully presented) and I thought she was definitely ugly inside.

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Tories have not done anything. The tories have not put a single thought in Corbyn's head they are all his own. His behaviour is all his own. So how the tories 'manage' has not been put to any test yet. Corbyn has and has been shown to know how not to behave.
    The framing of what he's wearing and petty stuff like not saying the anthem by the sun is overblown for my tastes. I think that unnecessary when his own words hang him on serious matters.

Good night all.
    Hilary Benn is a good tip for Lab leader - he has all the necessary personal qualities - ie looks, sounds, behaves in a sensible, calm and authoritative way.

And he hasn't lost a leadership election already - so he can come in as a new prospect for leader.
  • Not singing the national anthem isn't Jeremy Corbyn's worst mistake of his leadership so far.
  • isam said:

What price cannabis involved here?
    twitter.com/mailonline/status/643893479161110529

Well that is a legitimate question, but the answer looks to be 'no'.
    Her 39 year old muslim boyfriend may have had an influence (plus her previous muslim boyfriend who left her and went to Sweden).

So its likely all down to a sad obsession with radical muslims and a desensitisation to real life by an endless exposure to video games, texting, mobile phone apps and juvenile sex.
    glw said:

kle4 said:

Ah, where there we diverge - I cannot wear a tie without the top button done up, and feel a cringe when others do. Why not just wear a viking helmet while you're at it? barbarians.

I agree, if the collar is too tight you should have bought a shirt that fits. If that's too difficult for you to manage then running the country will be a step too far.
    Do you not think it was a deliberate gesture? This is all crap - I don't really want to be here - so FU!
    TGOHF said:

JEO said:

It does nothing for me.
    Prayers would seem more appropriate
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,964
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Even The Mirror seem have joined in the massive pile on.

I don't like this.... 2 posts in half an hour I agree with. What happens if the hat trick cops? Do I turn into a guardian reader?
    You get to take the thread home...
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    edited September 2015
    watford30 said:

AnneJGP said:

Y0kel said:

The Labour representative on Newsnight was running with a line on Benefit Caps, contradicting what Corbyn suggested earlier. They really are in a mess.
    The Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary also didn't understand that people on Working Tax Credit are exempt from the cap.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 5,996
    People who joined Labour under Ed Miliband are more likely to be young (in particular more likely to be in their 20s) and less likely to be old. We know that young people like Corbyn a lot more. So I think the causation in the thread header is spurious and just a correlation. Young people joined more recently cos they were children under Blair/Brown, and young people favour Corbyn.
    watford30 said:

Monbiot is a tool.

I always thought he was Mon Blot, a possessive blot on the landscape
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293

TGOHF said:

I’m a Londoner and the career pinkos holding many of the London Labour seats make my flesh creep. The largely London-centric nature of JC’s rabble who’ve never done a proper days work in their puff are probably unappealing on that basis alone, to working men with calloused hands. Add in the London-centric rabble’s propensity for arrogance, an open arms attitude to unfettered immigration and disrespect for what many such working men hold to be traditional values and given what I suspect is a general loathing for London-centricity per se, I think they are a gift for UKIP (sans Farage).

Whilst in 2020 JC’s Labour has to win non Labour voters from 2015, it also has to hang on to its 2015 voters. I think there are lots of voting working men’s club members and their ilk who will be horrified by Labour’s idiocy. I suspect that JC has little chance of hanging on to these whatever he does. He just has too much baggage.

Is there any analysis of the breakdown of the shadow cabinet showing such as location of seats, whether they’ve actually ever done a “get your hands dirty” kind of job, whether they’ve been SPADs or done similar political work? I suspect that these kind of issues matter much more to non-Londoners of all complexions than to Labour Londoners who've become inured to being presented with such types as Labour candidates.

Plus the pudding bowl Barnet lawyer who doesn't like LinkedIn messages on looks...
    s ilk will never understand that, because their upbringing has been lacking or their parents have not been respected.

I thought when watching your lawyer how desperate she must be for work. I didn't think she was physically attractive (even for being a few decades younger than me and very carefully presented) and I thought she was definitely ugly inside.

Gigantic laughs, that woman is terrible. It wouldnt take much to turn it into a Little Britain sketch.
  • Against Institution of British Royal Family:
    Corbyn Supporters: 61%
    GB: 22%

Supporters of Burnham (28), Cooper (27) and Kendall (20) much closer to mainstream.....

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/08/27/you-may-say-im-dreamer-inside-mindset-jeremy-corby/
    HaroldO said:

watford30 said:

Monbiot is a tool.

Was about the post something similar, refers to the press barons as Nazi sympathisers and then complains about the press trying to frame the debate.
    He does write for the Grauniad
  • antifrank said:

Not singing the national anthem isn't Jeremy Corbyn's worst mistake of his leadership so far.

Although I'm not sure the majority of the public would agree, I can see your point. Of course in reality that would be appointing McDonnell as Shadow Chancellor. But given how he stood as leader in the first place he was never going to appoint anyone else. They are little more than the vent and his dummy.

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

A large chin?
    More likely a lack of one at all
    isam said:

Is this before or after you were safe?
    HaroldO said:

As I posted a while ago, he mustn't get out to a change bowler. Leave as many as possible, we have a big lead
    watford30 said:

Definitely ugly inside and not much from the outside.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    notme said:

TGOHF said:

s ilk will never understand that, because their upbringing has been lacking or their parents have not been respected.

Gigantic laughs, that woman is terrible. It wouldnt take much to turn it into a Little Britain sketch.
    I really tried to make it through her interview, but frankly, there are so many more worthwhile uses of my time. Lasted her first response and 5 seconds of her second.
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

Speedy said:

At some point we will start laughing at the poorly thought attacks, it already reminds me of Airplane! or other Zucker brothers movies or even Monty Python, "look at that man, he has a beard, a polo shirt and jeans, burn him ! " .
    What a good idea! Wished I'd thought of it.
    edited September 2015
    NeilVW said:

watford30 said:

AnneJGP said:

Y0kel said:

The Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary also didn't understand that people on Working Tax Credit are exempt from the cap.
    Which in itself seems crazy.

If there is to be a Benefit cap of £23k, why should you be able to claim benefits of more than £23k on top of the wages you earn from working?

If someone is on minimum wage (approx £12k) then a benefit cap of £23k would still allow them to pocket almost £35k (they will pay a bit of income tax and NI).

Is that not enough? Why on earth does the Benefit cap not apply to people working?