Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could Alan Johnson lead Labour into the 2020 General Electi

12346»

Comments

• Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

@isam re Baker St, it's the only station you can change pink to brown without coming up for air. Edgware Rd & Paddington require one to leave the station and enter it elsewhere to make the change

At Paddington, you can walk through the main-line train-shed from the Hammersmith & City line platforms 15 and 16 to the entrance to the Bakerloo platforms.
    not without passing through ticket barriers
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,929
    edited September 2015
    MattW said:

isam said:

MattW said:

isam said:

The problem w tipping 50/1 or 66/1 shots, then bragging endlessly about it when they shorten, is that often the same person will have tipped several other candidates which drift but are never mentioned. In reality the whole package moves from 8/1 to 6/1 but is reported as 50/1 into 10/1

It's similar to when the racing post have 6 or 7 journos tipping 1-2 horses in a big race... 12-14 tips, 1 winner and the headline 'were you on our 12/1 winner?!'

When in reality for your money you were on a 6/4 package (which is still great by the way)

Good comment. I'm one of those who started dabbling at the GE and am slowly learning.

6/4 is not good for a long term multi-year bet, though.

And a 50-1 tip is expensive in terms of tying up bankroll if trading out at say 6-1 or 12-1 a few months early if it is not going to win.
    For instance, from memory in the last 24 hours we have had

Alan Johnson 25/1
    Harriet Harman 33/1
    Hilary Benn 33/1
    Jess Phillips 66/1

All tipped here for next labour leader... That's a combined 15/2 shot

Firstly any headline tip on here will shorten through weight of money and the fact that mike is an acknowledged shrewdie.. Even so people will still gasp 'ooh it's 20/1 from 25/1!!!'

Secondly if Johnson went 10/1 and the others all stay still (likely given the huge over round) you're now on a 5/1 shot at 15/2.. As I say nice but you're not on a 25/1 shot at 10-1 unless you are a self deceiver
    Indeed.

Needs continued luck and judgement all the way in to trade out at even (say) a 100% profit on the non-winners, and a bank balance pretty much equivalent to the maximum winnings on each all added together.

I've taken the Harman 80-1 but none of the others. And I have the trading balance available if needed for what I've taken.

Jess Philips was not a tip iirc.

I'd take a combined shot covering the market offering 3-1 or 5-2 over the course of the Parliament. But that moves to the investment bracket.
    It's a diluted form of one of the oldest scams going... Set up a tipping line and in an 8 runner race you tip each horse 10 times across 80 people... 10 people are on a winner. Once you've tipped a couple of winners on the spin to a couple of them they start sending you £100 a month for the info
  • Options

@isam re Baker St, it's the only station you can change pink to brown without coming up for air. Edgware Rd & Paddington require one to leave the station and enter it elsewhere to make the change

At Paddington, you can walk through the main-line train-shed from the Hammersmith & City line platforms 15 and 16 to the entrance to the Bakerloo platforms.
    not without passing through ticket barriers
    never heard of the Barrier method? ;)
  • Options
    Dair said:

Well plenty of Pope's and Kings thought it was appropriate to raise armies and conquer across Arabia too. You say potato I say potato.

Thankfully we live in enlightened times where we are far more secular than religious. Though to get through the reformation and become more enlightened and secular plenty of enlightened people died first. Sadly Islam hasn't gone through a Reformation and enlightenment yet.

The problem, as others have said, is that Islam may be incapable of being Reformed.

Reformation is a shift in interpretation. To Reform requires the faith's dogma to be based on interpretation.

Islam is not, certainly in term of Jihad, open to interpretation. If you are a Muslim you believe in Jihad, this is universal and not an interpretation, it is in the Q'ran. For many, it is a fundamental belief - a Pillar of Islam. But for ALL it is a belief which is part of their faith and one to be followed.
    Ultimately all religions are constructs of man. If people want their religion to be peaceful it will be. If people want their religion to justify war it will do.

All religions have evolved and are capable of doing so or being replaced. As that is what man invented them for.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Oooh, we are at the stage where atheists are drawing false equivalences between Islam and Christianity? Fun!

I'm an atheist and I know that this is counter productive. There is no equivalence between the two religions. Islam is a bloody, violent and belligerent culture, a culture it has carried through since its inception. Christianity was born out of peace, Jesus, whether he existed as a person or not at least inspired people to prioritise peaceful existence. Even the Crusades were economically motivated and they used the cover of religious conquest to expand empires.

I'd be very careful about separating economics and religion in medieval Europe.
    Religion was at the centre of political, and, indeed day-to-day life, until at least the 17th Century.

I'm very pleased I didn't have to live in Europe from c.1520-1670 when it was at the peak of religious turmoil.

However, none of that should be used by apologists for shrugging away the very real (and different) problems of modern day Islamism.

As much as I'd love to time travel and see the past, I am very glad I live where I do when I do.

Judging religions in isolation seems a bit silly to me. They are not abstract; they were created and are practised by human beings, all of who are profoundly influenced by the environments in which they grow up and live. The violence of so much modern Islam is man-made; as was the violence of Christianity in the past. It's not pre-ordained, it's not intrinsic. it's all about consciously-taken decisions.

Very true.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Dair said:

John_M said:

In the west we have the battle of Tours. I'd offer up (from my unpublished work, Great Battles no bugger has ever heard of) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nahāvand .

If it had gone the other way, history may have been very different.

Similarly, if the Byzantines hadn't dropped the ball at the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yarmouk, who knows what the Middle East would look like now.

If the Byzantines and Sassanids hadn't spent a quarter of a century beating the crap out of each other, I doubt the Arab conquest would have been anything like as successful.

Speaking of seldom discussed battles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

Im sure there are no parallels to today.
    The largest known cavalry charge in history, eh? Deserves to be better known for that alone.
    No British forces were involved, so it was clearly an insignificant skirmish not worthy of British history books.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited September 2015
    New Thread New Thread
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited September 2015
    Christianity is not (in the eyes of a majority of its adherents) a pacifist religion. Christians who go to war will inevitably pray before doing so, and will want to believe that God approves of their decision to go to war.

It's important to distinguish between that type of war, and a true war of religion - that is a war to exterminate heretics, or unbelievers, or alternatively, to defend Christians from those who would exterminate them because of their religion.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    MaxPB said:

Yes, look at all those Christian, Buddhist and Hindu fundamentalists across the world involved in wars in the name of their God or other deities.

Yes - there is not exactly a shortage of examples, is there?
    MaxPB said:

You are the kind of atheist that gives us all a bad name.

Us? I must have lost my membership card.
    MaxPB said:

"A pox on all your houses" doesn't work, it just emboldens extremists who can point to militant atheist voices and papers who draw these false equivalences between Islam and other religions.

Staying silent does not work either. The extremists still kill.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    MaxPB said:

JEO said:

It does not matter what you are "told". What matters is what was taught by the founders of the religion.

No.

What matters is the effect that the religions have had on millions of lives. What the founders of the religions wanted is largely irrelevant because they are long dead and gone and those who came after them used the religion for their own purposes.
    Yes, look at all those Christian, Buddhist and Hindu fundamentalists across the world involved in wars in the name of their God or other deities.

You are the kind of atheist that gives us all a bad name. "A pox on all your houses" doesn't work, it just emboldens extremists who can point to militant atheist voices and papers who draw these false equivalences between Islam and other religions.
    Late to the conversation so apols if this has already been discussed:

How long do you give Europe before its people have to convert to Islam or be executed? 50 years? 10 years?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

As a gay man i think I find life in a broadly christian country somewhat more comfortable than in many Muslim countries and much more than in ~Isisland. You really need to pause before hitting the keyboard.

Russia is a christian country. Try being gay there. Or in Uganda. Or the US bible belt. Or large swathes of Central or South America.
    Have you ever been to the bible belt? Or south America? Christianity , for all its faults has moved with the times, Islam has not.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    felix said:

justin124 said:

'The lack of women in Labour’s top jobs is very disappointing '
    I don't accept that at all - it is just political correctness gone mad again. Compared with Wilson-Callaghan -Foot- Kinnock - Smith - -Blair, there are now far more women in the Shadow Cabinet. I have nothing but contempt for the idea of 'gender vetting' and refuse to vote for candidates selected on that basis.

I presume then you will also deplore Khan's plan for ethnic quotas in London if he becomes Mayor.
    I most certainly do!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

I think I've logged on to the wrong site, people are discussing which set of mediaeval fairy tales holds most legitimacy.

Its highly doubtful that Jesus or Mohammed ever existed, arguing over who was the better person doesn't really seem pertinent on a betting blog.

When a religiously inspired group are causing the displacement of over 4m people and even moving people into the "leave" camp and possibly changing the nature of our country, the discussion needs to be had. The motivations of these people is to understand the conflict and potentially find solutions so that the displaced people can return home and rebuild their lives.
    I'm sorry but religious discussion with ISIS is beyond futile. By all means discuss the pros and cons on here, its not open to debate with some.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    malcolmg said:

Floater said:

Dair said:

Not old enough to remember the 70s very strongly but I do have recollections of filth and huge areas of Glasgow

I am old enough to remember the 70s and it was a grim time. When I visited Glasgow I was appalled at the state of the place - it was the biggest slum I have ever seen.

I hope it has improved because I have never gone back.

Agree I grew up in inner London but Glasgow in the 70's made a huge impression on me.
    Same as London, completely changed

I first visited London in the mid-1970s when it was incredibly depressing - all the building were black with smog dirt and the whole place felt filthy. When I worked there in 1980-2, Westminster Abbey was being cleaned. By the time I returned to the UK in 1985-7, London already felt a completely different and brighter city, just with the clean up.

I think one of the biggest changes came with the relaxation of the shopping hours laws, with Sunday becoming a useful day and making the streets lively, and the relaxation of the pub hours laws making the city more of a 24-hour place. Between Uber and a 24-hour Tube service, I think this process will only continue to strengthen. It will have some downsides, but I am convinced it is mainly positive for the city, and necessary to keep it at the forefront of international cities.

My next stint in London was 1990-91, by when the restaurant culture was changing and then 1997-99, by when it was in my view a better foodie place than either Paris or New York.

I have not lived in London since, but I can say that the Labour years have changed it beyond recognition for me. The population looks very different, and I no longer have any instinctual feel as to the way Londoners think - I am very much a foreigner in London when I visit now.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    felix said:

felix said:

As a gay man i think I find life in a broadly christian country somewhat more comfortable than in many Muslim countries and much more than in ~Isisland. You really need to pause before hitting the keyboard.

Russia is a christian country. Try being gay there. Or in Uganda. Or the US bible belt. Or large swathes of Central or South America.
    Have you ever been to the bible belt? Or south America? Christianity , for all its faults has moved with the times, Islam has not.
    I imagine in Bible Belt America, being gay results in some social disapproval, but not death or imprisonment.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

MaxPB said:

JEO said:

It does not matter what you are "told". What matters is what was taught by the founders of the religion.

No.

What matters is the effect that the religions have had on millions of lives. What the founders of the religions wanted is largely irrelevant because they are long dead and gone and those who came after them used the religion for their own purposes.

You are the kind of atheist that gives us all a bad name. "A pox on all your houses" doesn't work, it just emboldens extremists who can point to militant atheist voices and papers who draw these false equivalences between Islam and other religions.
    Late to the conversation so apols if this has already been discussed:

How long do you give Europe before its people have to convert to Islam or be executed? 50 years? 10 years?
    What part of Europe? If you mean the UK the answer is never.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Dair said:

Dair said:

John_M said:

In the west we have the battle of Tours. I'd offer up (from my unpublished work, Great Battles no bugger has ever heard of) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Nahāvand .

If it had gone the other way, history may have been very different.

Similarly, if the Byzantines hadn't dropped the ball at the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Yarmouk, who knows what the Middle East would look like now.

If the Byzantines and Sassanids hadn't spent a quarter of a century beating the crap out of each other, I doubt the Arab conquest would have been anything like as successful.

Speaking of seldom discussed battles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna

Im sure there are no parallels to today.
    The largest known cavalry charge in history, eh? Deserves to be better known for that alone.
    I hope the Hungarians don't have mounted police.

It would drive the lefties onto the Apoplectic Rage Bus.
    Hungarian irregular cavalry had a reputation for taking few prisoners in the 18th Century. Am reading For God and Kaiser - History of The Austrian Army.
  • Options
    A worrying article here about Golden Dawn doing well in Greece and campaigning in the islands affected by the migrant crisis

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/16/greek-election-2015-golden-dawn-austerity

We will see more of this in other countries if the EU doesn't get a proper grip on things.

Due to the EU's mishandling of the Euro crisis we have seen the far left make a come back in Europe
    Due to the EU's mishandling of the migration crisis we will probably see the far right make a come back next

But at least there haven't been any European wars as the Europhiles say!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    watford30 said:

Here's a question: when I lived in London from 1991 to 1995, there were still a few places you could, if you looked carefully, find bomb sites (from memory the Stepney / Bow areas).

Are there any areas of WWII damage left now, or have they all been redeveloped or re-redeveloped?

I doubt it, real estate values being what they are. There was probably a decent case for leaving at least a small site untouched as an historical artifact.

Of course parts of Clydebank still look like bomb sites.
    That was sort-of what I was thinking of - listing a bomb site. ;) Although there must be one or two hidden about in East London behind hoardings or other buildings?

I walked past Clydebank a few years back and, to be honest there are far worse coastal areas. The coastal route I took passed a fair few areas of newish development.

Perhaps the most depressing place was near Runcorn, on the Liverpool side of the river. Garston, I think (thought might have misremembered).
    Many bomb sites in London became car parks; NCP started with one in Holborn. There's another example in Moxon Street, Marylebone which remained derelict until a decade or so ago.
    I worked in Gresham Street in the City in the 1960s and can remember a huge bomb site between the Guildhall and Aldermanbury being used as a car park. Such bomb sites were still fairly common in the centre of London 20 years after the war had ended