Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling finds the NHS is the only area where more pe

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    My old nextdoor neighbour has a very large pond in his back field - courtesy of a bomb crater.
    Charles said:

MTimT said:

FPT @ malcolmg

I first visited London in the mid-1970s when it was incredibly depressing - all the building were black with smog dirt and the whole place felt filthy. When I worked there in 1980-2, Westminster Abbey was being cleaned. By the time I returned to the UK in 1985-7, London already felt a completely different and brighter city, just with the clean up.

I think one of the biggest changes came with the relaxation of the shopping hours laws, with Sunday becoming a useful day and making the streets lively, and the relaxation of the pub hours laws making the city more of a 24-hour place. Between Uber and a 24-hour Tube service, I think this process will only continue to strengthen. It will have some downsides, but I am convinced it is mainly positive for the city, and necessary to keep it at the forefront of international cities.

My next stint in London was 1990-91, by when the restaurant culture was changing and then 1997-99, by when it was in my view a better foodie place than either Paris or New York.

I have not lived in London since, but I can say that the Labour years have changed it beyond recognition for me. The population looks very different, and I no longer have any instinctual feel as to the way Londoners think - I am very much a foreigner in London when I visit now.

FWIW, my parents bought a uncleared bomb site in Kensington in the late 70s to build a house. And only a few years before that the Foxes gave away one of the nicer gardens in the area.

Bet I know who regrets the decision more ;)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

TGOHF said:

MTimT said:

Final thought on religion from the previous thread. I don't think anyone rational will argue that unreformed and unenlightened fundamentalist Islam is the same or better than post reformation and enlightened secular Christianity.

I know many Muslims in the UK and overseas who are just as enlightened and reformed in their beliefs as anyone else. The problem is that there are also many who are fundamentalists.

Fundamentalism in almost anything is a bad thing. And we shouldn't be afraid of either saying that it's bad or noting the difference.

The problem with Islam is that the Establishment is not reformed. Evidence Saudi Arabia. The Imam of the Grand Mosque in Mecca's views on all out war on Jews, Christians and Shi'a, not to mention his views on women, should not be acceptable to the West. Worse, they provide a religious and moral cover for the very worst of extremists.
    But it wasn't the Pope who set Christianity down the enlightenment route - quite the opposite.

Indeed, but enlightened Muslims are losing, not gaining, ground at the moment, and much of the middle class to which they almost uniformly belong are emigrating to the West. Even my Sunni friends in Beirut want out for their kids's sake.

I have lived in and visited the region almost my entire life - what's happened to tolerance in the Middle East and Pakistan in my lifetime is entirely depressing. When I lived in Yemen in the early 1980s, whenever a young firebrand would give me a hard time for being a nisraani, the older guys would pipe up to hush him, telling the firebrand I was a person of the Book. Don't hear or see much of that these days.
    What is a "nisraani" please?

Christian. Ironic, as I am an atheist
    Thank you (and to TSE).

• Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Scott_P said:

watford30 said:

The Tories will quietly concentrate on picking off those surrounding Corbyn.

The Tory task is to contaminate the Labour brand with Corbyn.

His lunatic economic plans are Labour lunatic economic plans

His terrorist "friends" are Labour's terrorist friends

Labour might want to portray him as a maverick, but he was endorsed by the PLP (enough to get on the ballot) and overwhelmingly elected by members.

He represents the brand now, and the Tories will spread the tarnish as far and wide as possible in the brief time he remians in post
    That's not the Tory's task: Labour is contaminating its own brand. The Conservatives' task is far more difficult - trying not to succumb to the dangers of having no effective opposition.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @Pauly
    " ... impose a new skills levy on businesses bringing migrant labour into the country so we can reduce our reliance on imported labour, and boost the skills of young people in the UK"

That could be a biggie. It is something I have been arguing for for more than 10 years. The levy needs to be high enough and ruthlessly imposed and the skills programme needs to be tied in with the needs of the companies that are paying the levy. If it is implemented correctly it will be a big win for young people, the businesses and the country.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "This secretive, archaic institution is a loophole in our constitutional safety net"

What a hilarious and idiotic thing to say. Since the change in the Canadian constitution, when has the Privy Council done anything of the slightest significance, and in that its role was essentially ceremonial?
  • Options

I see the Saudis have offered to build 200 mosques in Germany. That's an offer to refuse.

taffys said:

Out of 1700 British mosques, just 2 teach modernist versions of Islam:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9230671/who-runs-our-mosques/

Utterly depressing.

Yeah: they should be told to take the migrants instead.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited September 2015

There is such an inevitability about all this. He simply can only appeal to the far left and has nothing to say to the white van man (other than more migrants), the millions of ordinary people striving for their families, the aspiration of most, and the fears of everyone about their families security and safety. He is quite simply a disaster for labour and the conservatives just need to concentrate on being a competent government, which they are, and let the whole shooting match implode over the next few months as I doubt this will continue for years

There is a political obsession with the WVM. Politics is supposed to be a agent which can improve the lives of everyone, and have something to say for all, not just the WVM.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

I see the Saudis have offered to build 200 mosques in Germany. That's an offer to refuse.

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

They should take more refugees, not that they're going to. It is worth pointing out that lots of Syrians have moved to Saudi since the war, but as economic migrants (which Saudi Arabia encourages) and not under the aegis of humanitarian assistance. That means it's not so useful to for the weak and vulnerable, of course.

The 200 mosques thing appears to be an urban legend. Anyone passing that around ought to take a good look at the evidence for the claim.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

There is such an inevitability about all this. He simply can only appeal to the far left and has nothing to say to the white van man (other than more migrants), the millions of ordinary people striving for their families, the aspiration of most, and the fears of everyone about their families security and safety. He is quite simply a disaster for labour and the conservatives just need to concentrate on being a competent government, which they are, and let the whole shooting match implode over the next few months as I doubt this will continue for years

There is a political obsession with the WVM. Politics is supposed to be a agent which can improve the lives of everyone, and have something to say for all, not just the WVM.
    You're arguing that politics currently is over catered to the interests of the white working class?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Cyclefree said:

MaxPB said:

I see Croatia is being overrun by migrants, riot police trying to hold the border. Sky.

More than 70% of whom are not from Syria.
    On the radio this morning,they had a guy on from one of the refugees agencies,it seems people from Afghanistan are being seen as refugees.
    The Hungarian Ambassador was on the Today programme calmly explaining to a somewhat hysterical Sarah Montague that the migrants had reached safe countries long before they got to Hungary. This simply did not compute with her - she seemed determined to make Hungary a villain, rather unfairly. All these countries are bearing the consequences of Germany's idiotic "You can all come. No you can't" hokey cokey policy.
    Agree.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

But what migrant human in their right mind would want to end up in the KSA?
  • Options

Asian Van Man! :lol:
  • Options
    Pauly said:

New Immigration Bill features revealed today...

It includes a range of new powers to:

- tackle illegal employment, including a new offence of illegal working
    - stop providing support to migrants who do not return home once all claims to asylum have failed
    - strengthen our border security
    - ensure all public employees in customer-facing roles speak good English
    - electronically tag those on immigration bail
    - create a new role of Director of Labour Market Enforcement impose a new skills levy on businesses bringing migrant labour into the country so we can reduce our reliance on imported labour, and boost the skills of young people in the UK

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-measures-will-make-it-tougher-than-ever-before-to-live-illegally-in-the-uk

"Whether it is working, renting a flat, having a bank account or driving a car, the new Immigration Bill will help us to take tougher action than ever before on those who flout the law."

There are a lot of sensible changes here, but almost all of it seems to be on stopping illegal immigration. That's a necessary step, but legal immigration here is still far too high.

And we definitely need to have steps in place so that we can prevent the angry young men currently crossing the Balkans from getting EU passports and coming straight here.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited September 2015
    'Disingenuous' is the word that sprang to mind whilst watching that interview.

After 30 years as an MP, one would hope that Corbyn knew full well what was expected of the Party Leader, and as a member of the Privy Council. Failing that he's either incredibly stupid, lazy or just an areshole.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

TGOHF said:

MTimT said:

Final thought on religion from the previous thread. I don't think anyone rational will argue that unreformed and unenlightened fundamentalist Islam is the same or better than post reformation and enlightened secular Christianity.

I know many Muslims in the UK and overseas who are just as enlightened and reformed in their beliefs as anyone else. The problem is that there are also many who are fundamentalists.

Fundamentalism in almost anything is a bad thing. And we shouldn't be afraid of either saying that it's bad or noting the difference.

The problem with Islam is that the Establishment is not reformed. Evidence Saudi Arabia. The Imam of the Grand Mosque in Mecca's views on all out war on Jews, Christians and Shi'a, not to mention his views on women, should not be acceptable to the West. Worse, they provide a religious and moral cover for the very worst of extremists.
    But it wasn't the Pope who set Christianity down the enlightenment route - quite the opposite.

Indeed, but enlightened Muslims are losing, not gaining, ground at the moment, and much of the middle class to which they almost uniformly belong are emigrating to the West. Even my Sunni friends in Beirut want out for their kids's sake.

I have lived in and visited the region almost my entire life - what's happened to tolerance in the Middle East and Pakistan in my lifetime is entirely depressing. When I lived in Yemen in the early 1980s, whenever a young firebrand would give me a hard time for being a nisraani, the older guys would pipe up to hush him, telling the firebrand I was a person of the Book. Don't hear or see much of that these days.
    What is a "nisraani" please?

You've already been answered, but think "Nazarene".
  • Options

I still can't believe this has really happened, and it's endless - we're on Day 5.

What I find most incredulous is Corbyn's claim not to have been aware. But no, we're told by supporters he's genuine!

Genuine asshat
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    MTimT said:

"This secretive, archaic institution is a loophole in our constitutional safety net"

What a hilarious and idiotic thing to say. Since the change in the Canadian constitution, when has the Privy Council done anything of the slightest significance, and in that its role was essentially ceremonial?

Yes, utterly barmy. The UK political news recently has been about the Tories reforming welfare, promoting the Northern powerhouse, introducing a new immigration bill, discussing the legal framework of the security services, and changing trade union law, and Labour are agonising about whether their leader should take part in an entirely harmless and ceremonial tradition involving Her Majesty, who in any case is hugely popular amongst exactly the kinds of voter the party needs to reach. As political self-harm goes, Labour are surpassing all previous records.
  • Options

You should note that I referred to the many not just WVM. Just now labour is only talking to the few, actually in electoral terms the very few.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

After 30 years as an MP, one would hope that Corbyn knew full well what was expected of the Party Leader, and as a member of the Privy Council. Failing that he's either incredibly stupid, or simply lazy.
    Privy Council - a council for Outhouses? :)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited September 2015

Jezza is obviously over WVM, what with his apparent close links to La Thornberry.

(EDIT: NOT CLOSE LINKS IN THAT WAY. ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH. EEEEEUUUUUUWW)
  • Options
    JEO said:

You're arguing that politics currently is over catered to the interests of the white working class?
    The CD2E WVM isn't really white working class. He's really lower middle class, at most. But in any case, most polices and aims are centred to appealing to the WVM. They are seen as the main electoral group to appeal to.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

Nine million people at the last count.

There is a lot of contradictory information about how many Syrians. See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrians_in_Saudi_Arabia
  • Options

Maybe the WVM is important because of the dynamics of societal change. They are not the innovators or the first adopters, but winning them over gives societal change that critical mass to turn it from 'change' to 'the new culture'? Just a guess.

To wit, see one of my favorite TED talks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXMnDG3QzxE
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @chrisshipitv: Just been chatting to Jack Straw. His advice to Jeremy Corbyn Privy Council position from Queen? 'Get on your knees' http://t.co/YyeHuykAzg
  • Options

Asian Van Man! :lol:
    I wish there was a 'like' button.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2015

MTimT said:

Yes, utterly barmy. The UK political news recently has been about Tories are reforming welfare, promoting the Northern powerhouse, introducing a new immigration bill, discussing the legal framework of the security services, and changing trade union law, and Labour are agonising about whether their leader should take part in an entirely harmless and ceremonial tradition involving Her Majesty, who in any case is hugely popular amongst exactly the kinds of voter the party needs to reach. As political self-harm goes, Labour are surpassing all previous records.
    What happens next is probably that someone tries to make the case that it's only really Liz who is popular, not the concept, and somehow manages to give the impression that they are looking forward to her death.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I still can't believe this has really happened, and it's endless - we're on Day 5.

The Privy Council stuff is overdone IMO. I don't like Corbyn but it's well known he's a republican and it's fair enough for him to have some quibbles about what's involved. It's not the substance that matters. It's the fact that the stories about him are about trivial matters ("will he kneel?" "He can't do his buttons up.") rather than about him and his political vision.

I also think his appeal - "free money for all / attack the rich" - is more popular with some than we might suppose. Countering it will take a little more skill than simply assuming that people will see his policies to be obvious nonsense. See, for instance, this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11871261/Why-should-I-pay-for-Jeremy-Corbyns-friend-Claire-to-have-so-many-children-tax-credits-PMQs.html

People will always squeal when money is taken away even if they should never have been given it in the first place. Remember all the wailing that went on here when child benefit was taken away from higher rate tax payers. You'd have thought - from reading some posts - that Herod was at large in the country.

• Options

JEO said:

The CD2E WVM isn't really white working class. He's really lower middle class, at most. But in any case, most polices and aims are centred to appealing to the WVM. They are seen as the main electoral group to appeal to.
    Are you excluding pensioners then
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@chrisshipitv: Just been chatting to Jack Straw. His advice to Jeremy Corbyn Privy Council position from Queen? 'Get on your knees' http://t.co/YyeHuykAzg

The Establishment moves in Mysterious Ways.

If you want to kiss the sky
    Better learn how to kneel (on your knees boy!)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How much was he charging for this advice?
  • Options

JEO said:

Maybe when writing a speech. When developing policy, they are the last people considered.
  • Options

What happens next is probably that someone tries to make the case that it's only really Liz who is popular, not the concept, and somehow manages to give the impression that they are looking forward to her death.

And of course the headlines will write themselves. It's already set up: either we will get 'Labour Shame as Corbo Snubs Her Majesty!' or 'Labour grandees force Corbyn to kneel to Her Maj'.
  • Options

JEO said:

Quite. Whether you like it or not, pensioners have been one of the major beneficiaries of government policy - and not just over the last parliament - because they get out and vote and the politicians love it.

As for whether plumbers and electricians are "lower middle class" - I imagine they mostly see themselves as "skilled working class". There is more to class identity than looking at what income decile you lie in. (Surveys consistently seem to find some high-earners refer to themselves as "working class", perhaps because of family background, or because they they do not view their source of income as a "profession". There are plenty of millionaires running small construction firms who would tick the "working class" box.)
  • Options

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

And we also have this table:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_of_the_Syrian_Civil_War
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''When developing policy, they are the last people considered. ''

The point about WVM is he is both very numerous and not tribal. His vote is up for grabs. Its worth trying to pitch to him.
  • Options

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

Indeed, I don't know the actual figures, but visiting KSA you'd get the impression that there are more migrants than natives in the country.
  • Options
    This is precisely the stupid stuff that stuck to EdM almost instantly.

Just off the top of my head:

- not on his child's birth certificate, then getting shamed into it
    - not marrying the mother of his children, then getting pushed into it
    - talking about being good at Rubik's Cubes
    - wearing suits that looked like they belonged to his dad
    - knifing his brother

Lot of those impressions stuck in his overall weird, unsuitable to be PM/boy doing a man's job, ruthless in a not very nice way.

Very hard to overcome once the impression is set, precisely because the prism now looks for more of the same.

And of course the headlines will write themselves. It's already set up: either we will get 'Labour Shame as Corbo Snubs Her Majesty!' or 'Labour grandees force Corbyn to kneel to Her Maj'.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

watford30 said:

After 30 years as an MP, one would hope that Corbyn knew full well what was expected of the Party Leader, and as a member of the Privy Council. Failing that he's either incredibly stupid, or simply lazy.
    Privy Council - a council for Outhouses? :)
    It could well be a method for dealing with sh**s
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

Indeed, I don't know the actual figures, but visiting KSA you'd get the impression that there are more migrants than natives in the country.
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Syrian_refugees_in_the_Middle_East_map_en.svg
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    If Corbyn decides that the leadership just isn't worth what he is experiencing, he could choose to martyr himself on the altar of the monarchy.

That could see your 70% support slip a bit and start a debate the Establishment has tried very, very hard to avoid.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

MTimT said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Syrian_refugees_in_the_Middle_East_map_en.svg
    No relevance to what I said though. The question was asked 'what human in their right mind would want to end up in KSA'? The answer is that many with very good other prospects choose voluntarily to seek a life in the Kingdom. Money is the draw.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Labour were on 40% when Miliband was made leader, whilst they are probably on around 30% now so that could explain some of the gap between the two, assuming people largely vote along partisan lines in these polls.
  • Options
    If you missed Jezza with Laura K intv http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34272636
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited September 2015
    Thanks for the replies re WVM.

@Sunil_Prasannan Apparently, the Asian Mondeo Man is set to be the next key demographic for political parties to win over!

@JEO Who do you think are the main group considered when it comes to polices?

@Big_G_NorthWales Well, alongside pensioners.

@MTimT Hmmm, good point. Thanks for the link (I do quite like TED talks as well!) Will give it a watch.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Corbo wants to reform the privvy council but not welfare ?
  • Options
    From the Guardian live feed:

"Interior minister Thomas de Maizière is planning huge cuts to Germany’s benefits for asylum seekers in a new fast-tracked bill, a copy of which was leaked to the news agency AFP on Thursday.

The draft bill, dated Monday, would see refugees who have travelled to Germany via other EU countries - and should therefore be under their jurisdiction, according to the Dublin rules - refused the automatic benefits allowed under Germany’s asylum seeker law. They will only be given a travel ticket and provisions, the agency said.

In addition, refugees who cannot be deported because they don’t have passports and refuse to give information on their country of origin will be refused the right to work and will lose social benefits.

Any asylum seekers on Germany’s list of “safe countries of origin” - chiefly Balkan countries - would also be barred from work and from any education or training schemes.

The asylum seekers’ campaign group Pro Asyl criticized the plan heavily. “The government’s draft law will make partition, deterrence, and homelessness all part of the programme,” the group said in a statement released on its website."

So much for refugees welcome!
  • Options

Very hard to overcome once the impression is set, precisely because the prism now looks for more of the same.

In Corbyn's case, even more than in Ed's, the impression is correct. He does hate the monarchy as an institution. He does believe he shouldn't kneel to Her Majesty, or sing the national anthem. He is chair of Stop the War, with all its barmy and in some cases offensive positions. He does sympathise with lots of groups who are anathema to most voters. His idea of a fun holiday was a motorcycle tour of East Germany with Diane Abbott. He is more at home at a futile North London demonstration in favour of oppressed Nicaraguan sex-workers than at a ceremony honouring those who gave their lives in the Battle of Britain. He doesn't like wearing a suit or doing up his tie properly. He does espouse completely loony economic policies. He is anti-American and anti-Israeli. He has appointed as his Shadow Chancellor an extreme IRA-sympathiser who has expressed hateful views about murderers.

That's what he is, and to be fair to him he's not trying to hide any of it. All the fuss over the past few days has entirely been the press making the public more aware of his views and character. Some people may like what they see, but you don't need a pollster to tell you that most won't.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

In Corbyn's case, even more than in Ed's, the impression is correct. He does hate the monarchy as an institution. He does believe he shouldn't kneel to Her Majesty, or sing the national anthem. He is chair of Stop the War, with all its barmy and in some cases offensive positions. He does sympathise with lots of groups who are anathema to most voters. His idea of a fun holiday was a motorcycle tour of East Germany with Diane Abbott. He is more at home at a futile North London demonstration in favour of oppressed Nicaraguan sex-workers than at a ceremony honouring those who gave their lives in the Battle of Britain. He doesn't like wearing a suit or doing up his tie properly. He does espouse completely loony economic policies. He is anti-American and anti-Israeli. He has appointed as his Shadow Chancellor an extreme IRA-sympathiser who has expressed hateful views about murderers.

That's what he is, and to be fair to him he's not trying to hide any of it. All the fuss over the past few days has entirely been the press making the public more aware of his views and character. Some people may like what they see, but you don't need a pollster to tell you that most won't.
    "His idea of a fun holiday was a motorcycle tour of East Germany with Diane Abbott."

Brilliant!
  • Options

Thanks for the replies re WVM.

@Sunil_Prasannan Apparently, the Asian Mondeo Man is set to be the next key demographic for political parties to win over!

@JEO Who do you think are the main group considered when it comes to polices?

@Big_G_NorthWales Well, alongside pensioners.

@MTimT Hmmm, good point. Thanks for the link (I do quite like TED talks as well!) Will give it a watch.

The main group considered is usually the professional middle class because that's where most MPs come from and who they associate with. The second group is women, who are specifically assessed as what effect policy has on them. The third group is ethnic minorities because it allows professional middle class politicians to show they are 'enlightened'.
  • Options
    watford30 said:
    The three are not mutually exclusive. One could make a good case for the idea that Corbyn is all three.
  • Options
    Dair said:

If Corbyn decides that the leadership just isn't worth what he is experiencing, he could choose to martyr himself on the altar of the monarchy.

That could see your 70% support slip a bit and start a debate the Establishment has tried very, very hard to avoid.

And most voters would laugh and say "the man's an idiot"
  • Options

This is the best post I've seen on this website for weeks. An excellent analysis.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

There are. And even more so in UAE.
  • Options
    One of the risks of endlessly going on about essentially trivial Corbyn stories (lots of men are badly dressed, most in fact - I know I'm going to regret this) is that it will look like bullying. And then there could be sympathy for the one being bullied. There are plenty of substantive things to criticise him for without going OTT over a mismatched suit.
  • Options

JEO said:

Quite. Whether you like it or not, pensioners have been one of the major beneficiaries of government policy - and not just over the last parliament - because they get out and vote and the politicians love it.

As for whether plumbers and electricians are "lower middle class" - I imagine they mostly see themselves as "skilled working class". There is more to class identity than looking at what income decile you lie in. (Surveys consistently seem to find some high-earners refer to themselves as "working class", perhaps because of family background, or because they they do not view their source of income as a "profession". There are plenty of millionaires running small construction firms who would tick the "working class" box.)
    Most pensioners think of themselves as "OAPs"... We're both classless and classy...
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Utterly depressing.

No relevance to what I said though. The question was asked 'what human in their right mind would want to end up in KSA'? The answer is that many with very good other prospects choose voluntarily to seek a life in the Kingdom. Money is the draw.
    Hell, I should know. My dad worked on the design of the (then) new Riyadh Airport between 1982-1984. He was over there in six-month stints, only coming home during Christmas and during the Summer.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Yes, utterly barmy. The UK political news recently has been about the Tories reforming welfare, promoting the Northern powerhouse, introducing a new immigration bill, discussing the legal framework of the security services, and changing trade union law, and Labour are agonising about whether their leader should take part in an entirely harmless and ceremonial tradition involving Her Majesty, who in any case is hugely popular amongst exactly the kinds of voter the party needs to reach. As political self-harm goes, Labour are surpassing all previous records.
    We really do need the like button back. Damn good post, Msr Le Marquis. Labour are about as relevant to serious political discourse at the moment as the mewings of my cat.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

"His idea of a fun holiday was a motorcycle tour of East Germany with Diane Abbott."

Brilliant!
    Bearing in mind Ms Abbot was 40 years younger at the time that actually does sound like fun!
  • Options

MTimT said:

We really do need the like button back. Damn good post, Msr Le Marquis. Labour are about as relevant to serious political discourse at the moment as the mewings of my cat.

And what does your cat think of the Labour party?

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

One of the risks of endlessly going on about essentially trivial Corbyn stories (lots of men are badly dressed, most in fact - I know I'm going to regret this) is that it will look like bullying. And then there could be sympathy for the one being bullied. There are plenty of substantive things to criticise him for without going OTT over a mismatched suit.

Except he maaged to look msarter for his first day at the despatch box than he did for a memorial service.

So he is not always totally scruffy, only when honouring the war dead...

That is not a good look, in either sense
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Wonderful.

'Chief Economic Adviser' Professor of Political Economy Richard Murphy interviewed on the Daily Politics.

Not to be missed. Segment on Corbynomics at 10:00. Interview at 12:15.

For some reason accusing Andrew Neil of peddling fictions does not seem to be a good tactic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06chkm8/daily-politics-17092015
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

Except he maaged to look msarter for his first day at the despatch box than he did for a memorial service.

At the risk of getting into a petty argument.. I am not having that!

He looked far smarter at St Pauls than at PMQ's in my opinion... although I understand fashion taste is subjective

I say this as the best dressed man at a PB meet once (low bar)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Scott_P said:

Cyclefree said:

He is fine and smart enough to achieve his objective(s) which I suspect do not include PM.
  • Options

MTimT said:

I am not too sure, Mr. Hopkins, he is welsh, you see, and so sometimes difficult to understand. However, based on his attitude to property rights, which can be summed by "my chicken is mine and you should give me yours too", I think he might quite approve of some of the Labour ideas.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

"Interior minister Thomas de Maizière is planning huge cuts to Germany’s benefits for asylum seekers in a new fast-tracked bill, a copy of which was leaked to the news agency AFP on Thursday.

The draft bill, dated Monday, would see refugees who have travelled to Germany via other EU countries - and should therefore be under their jurisdiction, according to the Dublin rules - refused the automatic benefits allowed under Germany’s asylum seeker law. They will only be given a travel ticket and provisions, the agency said.

In addition, refugees who cannot be deported because they don’t have passports and refuse to give information on their country of origin will be refused the right to work and will lose social benefits.

Any asylum seekers on Germany’s list of “safe countries of origin” - chiefly Balkan countries - would also be barred from work and from any education or training schemes.

The asylum seekers’ campaign group Pro Asyl criticized the plan heavily. “The government’s draft law will make partition, deterrence, and homelessness all part of the programme,” the group said in a statement released on its website."

Forget the idiot Corbyn. He is a sideshow, a smokescreen blocking off the view of one of the most extraordinary and sweeping political about-turns any of us have ever seen. Literally millions have had their lives turned upside down.

"Welcome to Germany. Now fuck off."
  • Options

MTimT said:

Thinks Claws 4 should be reinstated!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    @MrNabavi - That's what he is, and to be fair to him he's not trying to hide any of it.

Exactly, and this should come as no surprise to anyone. – Of course over the coming months he’ll give a little here and a bit there as needs be, but the fundamentals will never change.

Now all that is left is for the electorate to decide whether this is the kind of man they want representing them and the country as their Prime Minister.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Imagine a carefree motor cycle tour of the DDR, with Diane Abbott, if it had taken place someone will now be looking for Staasi reports on their trip.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Wonderful.

'Chief Economic Adviser' Professor of Political Economy Richard Murphy interviewed on the Daily Politics.

For some reason accusing Andrew Neil of peddling fictions does not seem to be a good tactic.

Since when is he a Professor of Political Economy? He's a retired accountant. (Or so I thought.)
  • Options
    MarqueeMark,

Seriously what the hell were the Germans thinking? They literally sent out a big message that we needed to be welcoming to migrants, we would solve the problem by sharing them out among the EU, and that was what being European was all about.

Then the numbers coming surge (surprise, surprise) and they realise they can't take them all. What were they expecting to happen? Did they put no forethought into it at all?
  • Options

isam said:

Brilliant!
    Bearing in mind Ms Abbot was 40 years younger at the time that actually does sound like fun!
    Really?

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr04/21/8/grid-cell-14382-1395406040-11.jpg
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Forget the idiot Corbyn. He is a sideshow, a smokescreen blocking off the view of one of the most extraordinary and sweeping political about-turns any of us have ever seen. Literally millions have had their lives turned upside down.

Idiot Merkel ?
  • Options
    JEO said:

isam said:

Brilliant!
    Really?

http://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2014-03/enhanced/webdr04/21/8/grid-cell-14382-1395406040-11.jpg
    Well, she was a lot slimmer :lol:
  • Options

MTimT said:

I am not too sure, Mr. Hopkins, he is welsh, you see, and so sometimes difficult to understand. However, based on his attitude to property rights, which can be summed by "my chicken is mine and you should give me yours too", I think he might quite approve of some of the Labour ideas.

It sounds like you should have got him a vote in the Labour Leader election.
  • Options
    JEO said:

isam said:

Brilliant!
    Really?

Current Shadow Cabinet singing about Corbyn circa 1978.. Di on lead vocals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vxGmPfuHQ
  • Options
    JEO said:

MarqueeMark,

Seriously what the hell were the Germans thinking? They literally sent out a big message that we needed to be welcoming to migrants, we would solve the problem by sharing them out among the EU, and that was what being European was all about.

Then the numbers coming surge (surprise, surprise) and they realise they can't take them all. What were they expecting to happen? Did they put no forethought into it at all?

It is truly one of the most baffling episodes in European history, certainly since the fall of the Wall. It was so utterly predictable. It could only have one outcome - the headlong rush, as Africa and Asia hurtled towards Germany.

And then the "Oh Mein Fucking Gott!!" realisation that Africa and Asia were hurtling towards Germany.

With just time for a slap-stick interlude whilst the Germans got all high and mighty with the Hungarian PM. For Stating the Bleeding Obvious.

Tragi-comedy. It must be what passes for humour in Germany.
  • Options
    JEO said:

MarqueeMark,

50 years or so after an empire finishes it seems politicians like to self flagellate by ruining their country for people who weren't even born at the time
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Wonderful.

Since when is he a Professor of Political Economy? He's a retired accountant. (Or so I thought.)
    plus he's just as charmless and chippy as his boss.
  • Options

MTimT said:

In the absence of the button, have a virtual LIKE.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Mr Llama, you have made an unconscionable mistake, and one most unlike you.

Approving of "my chicken is mine and you should give me yours too" means he is a Lib Dem.

Labour would be : "My chicken is mine, your chicken is mine, and when we run out of chicken we'll print more chicken".
  • Options
    @Jack_Blanchard_: Official - Labour will campaign for Britain to stay in Europe. Jeremy Corbyn just sent this email to every Labour MP: http://t.co/m7oVbjt1Du
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

What I find most incredulous is Corbyn's claim not to have been aware. But no, we're told by supporters he's genuine!

Genuine asshat
    He did only get 2 Es. He's not the sharpest knife in the draw.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Jack_Blanchard_: Official - Labour will campaign for Britain to stay in Europe. Jeremy Corbyn just sent this email to every Labour MP: http://t.co/m7oVbjt1Du

I might be wrong, but didn't Corbyn say during an interview the other day that Labour would wait for the results of Cameron renegotiation before making any decision?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited September 2015
    Scott_P said:

I feel like Corbyn has just backstabbed all of the eurosceptic Labour vote he swept up and just compromised one of his core principles worse than Blair pretending to be left-wing.

EDIT: Also Chuka Umunna out of the cabinet for no reason now apparently...
  • Options
    I watched his LauraK intv earlier and he comes across as rather superior, irritable and that it's almost below him to talk to anyone who isn't a like-mind.

The bit about joining the PC was just painful, as was being evasive over GSTQ. I came away actively disliking him.

I didn't have a personal view of him before - just really didn't think much of his politics/friends. But he did himself no favours on charisma front.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Wonderful.

Since September 8th Murph is 0.2 of a Professor of Practice in International Political Economy in the Department of International Politics at City University.

http://www.city.ac.uk/arts-social-sciences/modules/economics-of-the-real-world
    http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2015/09/08/prof-murphy/

(velvet gloves off)
    He's also a pompous, mirthless, mathless asshat, so it will be interesting to watch. Allegedly.
    (velvet gloves on)

The Guido version of the interview is snippets. Watch the whole thing - priceless.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    We must underestimate the guilt Germany still feels for you know what.

The refugee thing really is a sort of national attempt at self immolation.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

The Privy Council stuff is overdone IMO. I don't like Corbyn but it's well known he's a republican and it's fair enough for him to have some quibbles about what's involved. It's not the substance that matters. It's the fact that the stories about him are about trivial matters ("will he kneel?" "He can't do his buttons up.") rather than about him and his political vision.

I also think his appeal - "free money for all / attack the rich" - is more popular with some than we might suppose. Countering it will take a little more skill than simply assuming that people will see his policies to be obvious nonsense. See, for instance, this - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11871261/Why-should-I-pay-for-Jeremy-Corbyns-friend-Claire-to-have-so-many-children-tax-credits-PMQs.html

People will always squeal when money is taken away even if they should never have been given it in the first place. Remember all the wailing that went on here when child benefit was taken away from higher rate tax payers. You'd have thought - from reading some posts - that Herod was at large in the country.

That article is spot on.

It needs to be emphasised again and again and again - tax credits are not primarily about supporting people with low pay - they are about supporting people with children.

The basics:

- Single person earning £15k - gets zero tax credits (today, before the cuts). Zero.

- Single person with two children earning £32k - gets tax credits.

Stop then and think. If both parents (with two children) are present and both earning - even if they both earn just £16,500 (for total family earnings of £33k) - they'll get zero tax credits as well!

(The cut-off for a family with two children is just under £33k).

So without children you get nothing (unless on very low earnings - about £14k downwards).

Couples together with only up to two children also get nothing if both are earning and combined get £33k - still a low salary - only £16,500 each.

And huge tax credits are paid to single earners with children, even on average salaries - and people earning much more with large numbers of children (income cut-off point rises with every extra child).
  • Options
    @iainmartin1: One of the few things Corbyn got right was not to give Cameron a blank cheque on EU. He's just done so.

@JohnRentoul: He might as well just go and join the Tories @iainmartin1
  • Options

MTimT said:

Approving of "my chicken is mine and you should give me yours too" means he is a Lib Dem.

Labour would be : "My chicken is mine, your chicken is mine, and when we run out of chicken we'll print more chicken".
    Mea culpa, Mr Jessop. However, I am not too sure about living with a Lib Dem cat. I'll have to try and talk to him.

I am fairly sure, though, that his version of printing more chicken means I should just provide it (i.e. it's someone else's job to actually earn the cash to pay for his benefits) - doesn't that make him more Labour than Lib Dem?
  • Options
    I've yet to hear anyone bar a Corbynista knock Hungary - 99% of Times posters think he's got it spot on.

JEO said:

MarqueeMark,

It is truly one of the most baffling episodes in European history, certainly since the fall of the Wall. It was so utterly predictable. It could only have one outcome - the headlong rush, as Africa and Asia hurtled towards Germany.

And then the "Oh Mein Fucking Gott!!" realisation that Africa and Asia were hurtling towards Germany.

With just time for a slap-stick interlude whilst the Germans got all high and mighty with the Hungarian PM. For Stating the Bleeding Obvious.

Tragi-comedy. It must be what passes for humour in Germany.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

Scott_P said:

I feel like Corbyn has just backstabbed all of the eurosceptic Labour vote he swept up and just compromised one of his core principles worse than Blair pretending to be left-wing.

EDIT: Also Chuka Umunna out of the cabinet for no reason now apparently...
    Yes, it's a bit harsh on Chuka isn't it? Oh well, I'm sure he'll find ways to keep busy on the back-benches. And yes it's a sell-out and an early one too. I can say that a Corbyn-voter (selector?) and someone who voted for the Communist/Socialist (and apparently the old Liberal Party was in there too!) No2EU front at the Euros because of my euroskepticism.

Now what price Trident?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    *Claps*

MTimT said:

I am fairly sure, though, that his version of printing more chicken means I should just provide it (i.e. it's someone else's job to actually earn the cash to pay for his benefits) - doesn't that make him more Labour than Lib Dem?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@iainmartin1: One of the few things Corbyn got right was not to give Cameron a blank cheque on EU. He's just done so.

@JohnRentoul: He might as well just go and join the Tories @iainmartin1

Even Cameron doesn't have such high hopes for his renegotiation that he will commit to "Remain"
  • Options
    MikeL said:

That article is spot on.

It needs to be emphasised again and again and again - tax credits are not primarily about supporting people with low pay - they are about supporting people with children.

The basics:

- Single person earning £15k - gets zero tax credits (today, before the cuts). Zero.

- Single person with two children earning £32k - gets tax credits.

Stop then and think. If both parents (with two children) are present and both earning - even if they both earn just £16,500 (for total family earnings of £33k) - they'll get zero tax credits as well!

(The cut-off for a family with two children is just under £33k).

So without children you get nothing (unless on very low earnings - about £14k downwards).

Couples together with only up to two children also get nothing if both are earning and combined get £33k - still a low salary - only £16,500 each.

And huge tax credits are paid to single earners with children, even on average salaries - and people earning much more with large numbers of children (income cut-off point rises with every extra child).

I got the feeling Cameron's response, very much couched in terms of "there'll be more jobs for all and they'll be higher paid", was largely a way of avoiding say "to be honest, I do think it's fair their benefits will be cut, and if they do want more money then she should get out and work more".
  • Options

*Claps*

MTimT said:

I think ours wouldn't eat chicken.

It gets Aldi tuna half anf half with Aldi dried catfood. It eats the tuna and goes away for 2 hours until it is clear no more tuna is arriving. Then it eats the catfood. Then it comes back with the same offended look it had before it got the first lot.

When Aldi ran out of catfood it ate nothing and caught mice for 2 days rather than go Tesco.
  • Options

Idiot Merkel ?
    I have said that from the first day she made her ill judged, arrogant and undemocratic (in Europe terms) decision to allow up to one million into Germany. The latest German bill is beyond belief and by making people homeless with no benefits and not able to work she is going to starve them. I hope at the leaders meeting next Wednesday real anger is directed at her and that all refugees and migrants will be sent to accommodation centres in southern Europe and the Middle East and genuine refugees distributed world wide. There is no other solution to this horrible mess of incompetence and real concern around security throughout Europe.
  • Options
    SeanT

Did you find evidence of the BBC cutting out the "Allah Akhbar" chants?