Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov polling finds the NHS is the only area where more pe

12346»

Comments

• MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    GoodnightVienna ‏@CallingEngland 21m21 minutes ago
    #Farage: 'Angela Merkel is the only person I've met who is even more miserable in private than she is in public.' :) #UKIP

• hunchman said:

MP_SE said:

I teach the basics of a Fourier transform to 2nd year chemists partly as an experimental technique and partly as a way of bringing in ideas such as complex numbers and integration.

Which is damning, as most haven't really seen those two concepts before ... :/

Complex numbers are really interesting.

sqrt(-1) = i

blew my mind when I learnt about it.
    Complex numbers are brilliant! Surely one of the best and most exciting discoveries in mathematics for 2000 years (for those non-maths types here, without complex numbers you wouldn't be reading this as electronic computers would not be possible). Aside from the sheer joy of Complex Number Theory, the philosophy and the history behind them is huge fun to read about (and, after a few beers, to debate).

Infinity and infinitesimals may be the most fun mathematical discoveries ever but complex numbers must run them a close third.
    Absolutely! Quadratic equations in complex numbers were great fun. De moivre's theorem was also very cool too! Cos theta + I sin theta and it has its uses in electricity of I recall correctly.
    Indeed, I found the electrical engineering use of "phasors" very interesting at A-level. It's why engineering textbooks often use "j" for the square root of -1; "i" is reserved for current.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    MikeK said:

GoodnightVienna ‏@CallingEngland 21m21 minutes ago
    #Farage: 'Angela Merkel is the only person I've met who is even more miserable in private than she is in public.' :) #UKIP

That's because she never had the pleasure of going on a motorcycle tour of East Germany with Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Danczuk has a better chance of holding Rochdale for UKIP against a Corbynite Labour than Mark Reckless did against the Tories in R&S, IMHO.
  • new thread