Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first local election night of the Corbyn era with two L

Comments

• Options
    Well it sounds like having made corbyn first impression to the masses be refusing to sing the national anthem, the Shadow chancellor is introducing the great unwashed to his greatest quotes collection. Genius.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Pulpstar said:

Salmond has no worry about Corbyn in Scotland from the looks of this QT.

Corbyn backtracking to New Labour policy positions is going to kill him that's for sure.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The first, yes, the second, no. It is indeed a trivial distinction, but it is still the case he is not the deputy PM in name, even if he is in deed. I do take the overall point about Osborne, an though I still question if he will be accepted further by the public, he's managed better on that score than I'd have thought he would if he's even considered a frontrunner for being Cameron's successor, so I cannot rule it out.

He's First Secretary of State which is virtually deputy PM.
    I totally agree - he is Cameron's deputy, and in effect may as well be Deputy PM (except he is more powerful than most such people who held the position), hence why I said it is a trivial distinction, but legally he is not 'The Deputy PM', that post is currently vacant (as it notes here https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/deputy-prime-ministers-office) even though he is the guy who deputises for Cameron. I enjoy such minor distinctions. Why didn't he also make Osborne the actual deputy PM?
    Probably because DPM was Clegg while First Secretary of State was Hague. Cameron probably viewed the First Secretary as his "real" deputy.
  • Options

Well it sounds like having made corbyn first impression to the masses be refusing to sing the national anthem, the Shadow chancellor is introducing the great unwashed to his greatest quotes collection. Genius.

Master Strategy innit
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Sean_F said:

JEO said:

Bloody hell - just look at this. It's clear that a very large number of these men (and they are mainly men) feel a sense of entitlement to walk into Germany unhindered, and are angry these border countries are putting obstacles in their way.

Serbia, Croatia and Hungary should hold Merkel responsible for this - and send her the bill:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34278213/migrant-crisis-in-pictures-whats-happening-on-the-hungarian-border

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34283152

I linked an article from the Swedish media where migrants refused to get off the bus in a small town because they insisted on living in a big city with lots of amenities. The entitlement is strong. And when they're not let in they start shouting "Allah akhbar" at the police forces of the Christian countries they demand to be able to access.
    I'm not sympathetic to the idea that claiming to be a refugee gives you an international passport to settle in the country of your choice on whatever terms suit you.
    How many of the immigrants do you suppose are actually refugees? How many safe countries have they traversed to get inside Schengen?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Is it me or has McDonnell spoke for about 10* the time of Liz Truss ?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @IsabelHardman: DUP's Nigel Dodds responds to John McDonnell's #bbcqt apology http://t.co/aHX0vDXxku
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not just you. What would do you expect from the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Sean_F said:

JEO said:

Bloody hell - just look at this. It's clear that a very large number of these men (and they are mainly men) feel a sense of entitlement to walk into Germany unhindered, and are angry these border countries are putting obstacles in their way.

Serbia, Croatia and Hungary should hold Merkel responsible for this - and send her the bill:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34278213/migrant-crisis-in-pictures-whats-happening-on-the-hungarian-border

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34283152

I linked an article from the Swedish media where migrants refused to get off the bus in a small town because they insisted on living in a big city with lots of amenities. The entitlement is strong. And when they're not let in they start shouting "Allah akhbar" at the police forces of the Christian countries they demand to be able to access.
    I'm not sympathetic to the idea that claiming to be a refugee gives you an international passport to settle in the country of your choice on whatever terms suit you.
    How many of the immigrants do you suppose are actually refugees? How many safe countries have they traversed to get inside Schengen?
    The most consistent number I have seen is about 30% of new arrivals to the EU border are Syrian refugees. The rest are Afghan, Pakistani, Balkan and Somalian. Vert
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

The union is dead is when not if it ends... English politicians need to wake up and ensure the split is on English terms.

An England which has no distinct culture, no coherent sense of nationhood, no wealth, no industry, no resources and is on the brink of electrical and water shortages is hardly in a position of strength in the negotiation. England is weak, poor and backward looking.

One thing is certain about the dissolution of the United Kingdom. It will not be on England's terms.
    Dair old chap - have you ever been to Engerland ?
    Many times and it is quite a nice place to visit, however the undrinkable water does take the shine of the experience. Food is a bit iffy too.

But the scenery is often lovely, London is quite fun and the pubs are good.
    Doesn't sound enough to comment - suggest you STFU.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Young black lad asks a politician why they should vote for them, and she has a poor answer. Pathetic.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Pulpstar said:

There haven't been many questions on opening pork markets or the Balance of Cheese.
  • Options

@tnewtondunn: EXCL: Senior Tories have begun talks with depressed Labour MPs to try to persuade them to defect;
    http://www.sunnation.co.uk/depressed-labour-mps-in-talks-to-defect-to-the-tories

I don't want the election of Corbyn to tack the Conservative Party to the Left.

I think JEO put it very well the other day: the Conservatives should stay where they are, and pursue the manifesto and principles they believe in.

When a sensible Labour leader is (eventually) elected, they will have that much further to travel to meet them to regain power. So, if they want to reshape the British political landscape, it's in the Conservatives interests to pull the middle-ground as close to the Right as possible.
    I've said it too, I think the Tories should stick on the centre/one-nation ground that they currently occupy.

It is so successful that they can win a majority with UKIP polling 13%
    Osborne must be very clever: he has both you and me convinced.

I read a manifesto promising big tax income and inheritance tax cuts, protection of defence spending, immigration controls, EU renegotiation, a reform of human rights law, a repeal of the fox hunting ban, a neo-thatcherite extension of the right to buy, and English votes for English laws.

It got my vote.
    I reckon that's why it has to be Osborne to replace Dave.
    Yes.
    I should also add that Ed gave me the heebie jeebies.
    Osborne's the Govt Nr 2; the deputy PM. He's the Chancellor. He's the right age. He's effective. He's become accepted by the public. He's got the trust of the current PM. Assuming he's successful then he's probably going to be the next Tory leader.
    The inevitable corollary of a tory victory at the election was Osborne becoming the next tory leader. Thats because it, the victory, had proved him right.
    If he stopped shaving and wearing a tie, and shagged Abbot (a sacrifice too far perhaps but it would show commitment) he'd truly be home and hosed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894
    notme said:

Young black lad asks a politician why they should vote for them, and she has a poor answer. Pathetic.

I bet he is loving a lecture on women's role in austerity from Sandi Toksvig
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

The union is dead is when not if it ends... English politicians need to wake up and ensure the split is on English terms.

An England which has no distinct culture, no coherent sense of nationhood, no wealth, no industry, no resources and is on the brink of electrical and water shortages is hardly in a position of strength in the negotiation. England is weak, poor and backward looking.

One thing is certain about the dissolution of the United Kingdom. It will not be on England's terms.
    Many times and it is quite a nice place to visit, however the undrinkable water does take the shine of the experience. Food is a bit iffy too.

A scot complaining about English food - hilarious. You'll be complaining about English dentists next.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

John_M said:

EPG said:

John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

Can't imagine that Mr Corbyn's recent election to Labour leader will have any impact on local elections, at least not yet.

However, it's certainly had a remarkable impact on me. I've done something today I couldn't have begun to envisage only a week ago: taken out a subscription to D Telegraph (online).

Labour-Uncut & Labourlist have been my websites of choice (after PB!) for some years now. But I'm sick of seeing long-term loyal Labour members, whom I know to be quite a long way to the left of my own views, being dubbed Tories & told to get out.

Demonstrably, the present Labour party wouldn't touch a mild-left-wing person like me with a barge-pole; they'd be insulted by a vote as impure as mine.

"Owes more to Methodism than Marxism"? Not this lot. I'm not much of a one for ill-wishing anyone or any organisation; but (sorry, @NickPalmer) I hope this lot crash & burn. They don't know what they're throwing down the drain.

Honestly Anne, I think you'd have more leverage if you joined the Conservatives and tried to steer them leftwards. As currently constituted, the Labour party is almost certain to elect left wing successors to Corbyn.

Other commentators have already pointed it out - the Tories should be sprawling all over the centre ground and killing soft left supporters with kindness.

The counter argument is that without an effective and credible opposition, there will be a tendency for the administration to drift right, and I think that will be counter-productive in the medium term.
    Not everyone can join the Conservatives. They will always be constrained to be a certain degree of right-wing by their donors, in the same way that Labour will always be constrained to be a certain degree of left-wing by their donors (a constraint that is not currently binding). If you believe that the financial sector or industrialists or top professionals should be taxed more, the Conservatives are not for you.
    That's a fair point, but I'm invoking the POWER OF ANECDOTE to argue that many right thinking right-of-centre people (e.g. yours truly) are fiscally dry but socially sopping wet. I want sound finances and a strong economy while prioritising care for the sick, disabled and the mentally ill (and by prioritising, I mean over pensioners - or at least the wealthy ones).

I would imagine that would be palatable across the a wide range of the political spectrum.
    May I introduce you to the Fiscally Dry Social Liberal Not Obsessed by the Gays or EU New Conservative Party that Scrapheap, RobD and I have formed?
    I'd like to apply, but I'm not sure you'd accept me.
  • Options
    Jesus Christ was a refugee to Egypt ?! o_O

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Gravis poll, Fiorina won debate

Fiorina – 33%
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 16%
    Carson – 8%
    Cruz – 5%
    Christie – 4%
    Bush – 4%
    Kasich – 3%
    Paul – 2%
    Walker – 2%
    Huckabee – 2%

And now, the losers:
    Paul – 32%
    Trump – 17%
    Kasich – 11%
    Bush – 9%
    Huckabee – 8%
    Walker – 6%
    Carson – 5%
    Fiorina – 4%
    Christie – 4%
    Cruz – 3%
    Rubio – 2%
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/281579691/One-America-News-Gravis-Marketing-Post-Debate

The talking heads of Fox News and CNN (who are STILL camped out at the Reagan Library for the fourth day) have proclaimed Fiorina and somewhat behind, Rubio, as debate winners.

That was also the instant post-debate assessment on both networks.

Coverage of Trump has been noticeably more negative today.
    Indeed, but as this poll makes clear if you were for Trump pre debate you were likely still for Trump after, but Fiorina has made up some further ground on him
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

JEO said:

The 'centre ground' is not a fixed place but a movable destination depending on where thenpolitical parties are currently and have been in recent history. You get to move it by winning elections with a position away from the centre. The more right wing the Tory party is when it wins in 2020 the further right the centre ground will shift.

In the early 00s the progressive consensus - including the BBC - was very strongly in favour of the Euro. At one time, around 2001-2003*, I had a real concern the debate was slipping through eurosceptic fingers; I felt very much on the fringe.

For us to ever join is now totally unthinkable.

*It was also the high water mark of mass immigration, EU integration (more broadly) and multiculturalist zealotry. A truly deeply depressing time to be a Conservative.
    It has led to today's situation where we have a broadly centrist Tory party, a strong chance of leaving the EU altogether and Labour in complete disarray being unable to come up with a non-New Labour answer to the Tories parking themselves in the centre.
    Well I'm socially conservative and economically on the centre left, I'm the worst fit for the conservative party. Corbyn is less sh*t than the other candidates however I still don't rate him high, in fact he's very good at defying expectations but for the worst, unfortunately all the other prospective candidates are worse than him at every level.
    I'm simply sticking with Labour because the Tory attacks are so ridiculous they insult my intelligence.
    I think your first paragraph rather undermines the thrust of your second
  • Options
    isam said:

notme said:

I bet he is loving a lecture on women's role in austerity from Sandi Toksvig
    Toskvig is the only actual extremist on the panel.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

A scot complaining about English food - hilarious. You'll be complaining about English dentists next.
    Nothing wrong with English dentists.

People try to float on lilos all the way from Turkish holiday resorts to use them.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

Can't imagine that Mr Corbyn's recent election to Labour leader will have any impact on local elections, at least not yet.

However, it's certainly had a remarkable impact on me. I've done something today I couldn't have begun to envisage only a week ago: taken out a subscription to D Telegraph (online).

Labour-Uncut & Labourlist have been my websites of choice (after PB!) for some years now. But I'm sick of seeing long-term loyal Labour members, whom I know to be quite a long way to the left of my own views, being dubbed Tories & told to get out.

Demonstrably, the present Labour party wouldn't touch a mild-left-wing person like me with a barge-pole; they'd be insulted by a vote as impure as mine.

"Owes more to Methodism than Marxism"? Not this lot. I'm not much of a one for ill-wishing anyone or any organisation; but (sorry, @NickPalmer) I hope this lot crash & burn. They don't know what they're throwing down the drain.

the medium term.
    That's a fair point, but I'm invoking the POWER OF ANECDOTE to argue that many right thinking right-of-centre people (e.g. yours truly) are fiscally dry but socially sopping wet. I want sound finances and a strong economy while prioritising care for the sick, disabled and the mentally ill (and by prioritising, I mean over pensioners - or at least the wealthy ones).

I would imagine that would be palatable across the a wide range of the political spectrum.
    May I introduce you to the Fiscally Dry Social Liberal Not Obsessed by the Gays or EU New Conservative Party that Scrapheap, RobD and I have formed?
    We're very inclusive. There's a simple quiz to pass

1) Is Mark Reckless a) Pig b) Dog c) Traitor d) all of the above
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

GeoffM said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

the medium term.

e) all of the above - and a laughing stock
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited September 2015
    Con holds in Richmondshire and Bourn
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

By the way I hope you all know who Mephistopheles is.

The Tory party boss.
    Well according to the Tory attack ad, it was meant to be Peter Mandelson wasn't it? (From the New Labour, New Danger era. I'm sure everyone here knows the one I mean. Can't find it on Youtube unfortunately?)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/484738.stm
    Well the devil has many faces but shares the same policies and attitude. I supported the Tories and the LD's in 1997 because I knew that Blair was a very bad apple.
    How did you get two votes? And weren't you the prescient one, fantastic.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Pulpstar said:

Salmond has no worry about Corbyn in Scotland from the looks of this QT.

Corbyn backtracking to New Labour policy positions is going to kill him that's for sure.
    ''The European policy argument embodies the many problems now facing the Labour party. It will be the first of many, some of them surely much bloodier. Corbyn is in many ways a living and breathing embodiment of an argument put forward by the political scientist Henry Drucker in 1979. Drucker argued that Labour is a party animated more by a sense of collective ethos than by a commitment to a political programme. It is therefore more comfortable as a party of opposition, sustained by a sense of betrayal, than as a party of government. That’s why Corbyn won and this week’s events bear Drucker out. But that conclusion offers little consolation for Labour’s stunned social democrats, whose tradition is now in the deepest jeopardy.''
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/sep/17/jeremy-corbyn-europe-labour-trouble-unions
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

IIRC, it's one of the more coherent theories of where he was for the 30 years of his life that the bible completely fails to account for.

Salmond is a bit of a religious nutter but usually privately. Hopefully the audience ridiculing gasp will keep it that way. Religion has no place in public life (as Tim Farron will no doubt discover).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Drink San Pellegrino. Food in Scotland is all fried, beige and bland. Shit.
    I know it's called McDonalds, but it's not scottish. Try some other restaurants.

• Options
    I must admit I was sitting here thinking 'I am sure the good Friday agreement was not in 2003'... How is he getting away with it?

Here is his explanation in 2003

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2003/jun/03/northernireland.labour
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Fiorina – 33%
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 16%
    Carson – 8%
    Cruz – 5%
    Christie – 4%
    Bush – 4%
    Kasich – 3%
    Paul – 2%
    Walker – 2%
    Huckabee – 2%

And now, the losers:
    Paul – 32%
    Trump – 17%
    Kasich – 11%
    Bush – 9%
    Huckabee – 8%
    Walker – 6%
    Carson – 5%
    Fiorina – 4%
    Christie – 4%
    Cruz – 3%
    Rubio – 2%
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/281579691/One-America-News-Gravis-Marketing-Post-Debate

The talking heads of Fox News and CNN (who are STILL camped out at the Reagan Library for the fourth day) have proclaimed Fiorina and somewhat behind, Rubio, as debate winners.

Indeed, but as this poll makes clear if you were for Trump pre debate you were likely still for Trump after, but Fiorina has made up some further ground on him
    Nobody is talking about Carson today, and Trump's coverage has turned negative. Take the two of them together, they are over 50%. Until that unwinds we won't know what the hell is going on.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

People try to float on lilos all the way from Turkish holiday resorts to use them.
    "Is it safe?"
  • Options
    Dair said:

On the tinnies again
  • Options

GeoffM said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

the medium term.

Shouldn't the correct response now be "who's Mark Reckless"?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    From a practical PoV, our geography is certainly the best for controlling immigration of pretty much all the countries in Eruope.

We have no land border with any other states (bar the chunnel), and are surrounded by the somewhat choppier waters of the atlantic rather than the somewhat calmer med.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

the medium term.

D, and my £3 entryist cheque is in the post.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

the medium term.

I thought I hid it well but Mark Reckless losing was the result I enjoyed the most on election night
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Tim_B said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

But they feel down in the mouth.
  • Options

Dair said:

Scotland's biggest problem is what to do when the hyperbole mines run out.
    Scotland doesn't have any problems that England doesn't pay for
  • Options
    What a f*@king liar. The PM was referring to the criminals in the illegal camps Calais as a swarm. He did not refer to these refugees as a swarm.

I hate lying tosspots.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

I know it's called McDonalds, but it's not scottish. Try some other restaurants.

Are you sure about this? Where else can you get sausage that isn't sausage shaped, like Scotland?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

the medium term.

I thought I hid it well but Mark Reckless losing was the result I enjoyed the most on election night
    Really? Why have you never mentioned this before?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited September 2015
    Pulpstar said:

You haven't had enough spiritual indoctrination.

Mathew 2

13 When they had gone, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream. “Get up,” he said, “take the child and his mother and escape to Egypt. Stay there until I tell you, for Herod is going to search for the child to kill him.”
    14 So he got up, took the child and his mother during the night and left for Egypt,
    15 where he stayed until the death of Herod. And so was fulfilled what the Lord had said through the prophet: “Out of Egypt I called my son.”
  • Options
    Nice tory pretty boy. Get him signed up.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

From a practical PoV, our geography is certainly the best for controlling immigration of pretty much all the countries in Eruope.

We have no land border with any other states (bar the chunnel), and are surrounded by the somewhat choppier waters of the atlantic rather than the somewhat calmer med.

We have an unpatrolled, open land border.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

IIRC, it's one of the more coherent theories of where he was for the 30 years of his life that the bible completely fails to account for.

Salmond is a bit of a religious nutter but usually privately. Hopefully the audience ridiculing gasp will keep it that way. Religion has no place in public life (as Tim Farron will no doubt discover).
    If Jesus is Jewish how come he has a Spanish name?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Salmond is a renewable source. As long as you feed (taxpayer funded) curry in one end, you get a continuous supply of light, sweet Hyperbole flowing freely
    Salmond has renewable sauce...
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

John_M said:

EPG said:

John_M said:

AnneJGP said:

the medium term.

Really? Why have you never mentioned this before?
    Well someone once complained to Mike that I hated UKIP
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Dair said:

or until the price of oil increases significantly.
    We'll have had all the economically viable supplies by then
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Christ, is this Tim Stanley guy an intentional parody?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Watching Question Time on I-Player...

John Mcdonnell a disaster, IMO.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

He's a former Labour parliamentary candidate
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Danny565 said:

He's a former Labour parliamentary candidate
    I meant a parody of that general pretentious, up-himself political SPAD (of any party).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Salmond is a renewable source. As long as you feed (taxpayer funded) curry in one end, you get a continuous supply of light, sweet Hyperbole flowing freely
    It is not always thus with curry, or was your description a perverse simile
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Actually, in the round he is a disaster, but he is disturbingly affable and self deprecating in a way. If you agree with his politics you will lap it up. He was quite smooth, but sensed a bit of anger behind the eyes.
  • Options
    Mcdonnell is doing a sterling job in building trust up in him.... #he not Gordon saved the world
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Dair said:

Dear old Dair, bumping his gums.

How's Scotland getting on in the great Arc of Prosperity?

Meanwhile Brent Crude hovers at $49.32 You're going to have to sell a lot of shortbread and ginger wigs to make up the loss.
    I don't think they sell the ginger wigs. They're available on the Scottish NHS to those unfortunates born without said blessing and unable to face up to the stigma..
  • Options
    It's getting worse for FIFA. Secretary General Jerome Valcke has been suspended for selling World Cup tickets at 3 times face value.
  • Options

There were too many, for me the top ten results were : -

1. Margaret Curran
    2. Anas Sarwar
    3. Jim Murphy
    4. Douglas Alexander
    5. Charles Kennedy
    6. Jo Swinson
    7. Michael Moore / John Lamont
    8. Ed Balls
    9. Mark Reckless
    10. Willie Bain

Honorable mentions Sandra Osborne, Ian Davidson, Tom Harris
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited September 2015
    notme said:

GIN1138 said:

Actually, in the round he is a disaster, but he is disturbingly affable and self deprecating in a way. If you agree with his politics you will lap it up. He was quite smooth, but sensed a bit of anger behind the eyes.
    I don't mean a disaster in terms of performance (performance wise he's OK and is helped by such an extraordinarily left wing audience) but things that are far more fundamental than performance.

Just him being asked why he wanted to assassinate Mrs Thatcher or why he was praising IRA murderers, kills him.

The way he explains these faux pas destroy's his credibility because he doesn't look professional and it sounds like he has appalling judgement.

Would anybody seriously trust the countries finances with someone who has such terrible judgment? Voters can join the dots and this guy is a disaster (but then so too is Corbyn himself).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Just heard Question Time. What a surprisingly attractive sounding politician John McDonnell is.

By the sound of it he resonates with the audience too. I'd thought his appointment was a mistake now I don't believe it was
  • Options
    The media is slamming CNN for their handling of last night's debate. They are calling it the Clown News Network. The format was not good.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited September 2015
    Capt underpants tweeted just now he'd fallen off his sofa... was that Mcdonnell?
  • Options
    notme said:

GIN1138 said:

I think that's a very fair assessment. Liz Truss' politics are far more sensible but she was rather... uninspiring... this evening. Her answer to the black lad was piss poor. The answer could have been from the Labour Gov't 1997-2010. Was a good opportunity to talk about self reliance, aspiration, get a bit more ideological than she did - an opportunity missed.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Just heard Question Time. What a surprisingly attractive sounding politician John McDonnell is.

By the sound of it he resonates with the audience too. I'd thought his appointment was a mistake now I don't believe it was

Top trolling Roger.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    notme said:

GIN1138 said:

I like the new politics of integrity and consistency as demonstrated by apologies and u turns! He had a menacing anger that will leak out often enough.

Actually what impresses me most about the Corbynistas is that they have repeated Dubyas Iraq war strategy. They have taken the capital and deposed the ruler, but have only the vaguest ideas about what to do next. No preparation or planning for the aftermath. Theirs too will be a squandered victory followed by chaos.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

A Hungarian friend of mine has cancelled his subscription to German cable because the German media portrayal of the refugee crisis paints Germany as the great humanitarian nation and everyone else as some kind of Nazi-alikes with the refugees in the same situation as Jews in 1936.

Just wait until public opinion turns in Germany,the establishment will sh!t themselves.
    It already has from what I have read and been told.
    Can you imagine having a front row seat at next Wednesday's emergency EU Leader's summit
    They will probably just ignore it and blame it all on Hungary, Croatia, Greece and the UK. We will cast as the ringleaders and be given most of the blame by the EU, I'm sure.
    Agreed but there is going to be a lot of bad blood and some very heated exchanges and just how in that environment can they achieve agreement. Most of the Countries in Europe will close their borders causing economic mayhem and the end of free movement.
    I think it might be the beginning of the end of more than free movement
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

It's getting worse for FIFA. Secretary General Jerome Valcke has been suspended for selling World Cup tickets at 3 times face value.

Is the suspense for him selling them so cheap?
  • Options
    Tom Freeman ‏@SnoozeInBrief

I just wish Corbyn had stayed an obscure backbencher for long enough to have the same success in the Middle East that McDonnell had in NI.
  • Options
    Watching the video game Horizon - the Notts Uni chap clearly has no idea about being in a guild/clan...
  • Options

Watching QT for the first time in ages and I'm shocked how poor my political knowledge is, I never knew John McDonnell was so instrumental to the Northern Ireland peace process.

"Needs to concentrate more"
  • Options
    John McDonnell was quite remarkable on Question Time.

He spent 50 minutes building trust, being affable, showing contrition, sounding both plausible and likeable even admitting the great unspoken truth about politics, that sometimes politicians lie for the greater good.

Then he blows it. Spectacularly. With a stupid, obvious, glaring and unreconcilable lie about the reason behind Corbyn refusing to sing Allah Save The Queen.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    SeanT said:

McDonnell did quite well - given the baggage he was handling - until the very last bit when he blatantly lied about Corbyn being so "moved and distracted" by the WW2 memorial he just "forgot" to sing the national anthem.

That was a clear lie, he was called out on it, and the SCOTE looked decidedly shifty.

Will it move votes? No. Most people don't watch Question Time. They will simply see the BBC report which says the Shadow Chancellor had to apologise on air for comments supporting the IRA (the most read item on iBBC right now):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34285308

Sensible people will reel away. Corbyn loyalists will explain it away.

Labour are heading for a Michael Foot type defeat in 2020, minus the Scottish seats.

I think the lie on Corbyn singing the anthem helped expose the fact that the IRA crap was probably a lie too, given he used the exact same technique and tone of voice.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

notme said:

GIN1138 said:

I think that's a very fair assessment. Liz Truss' politics are far more sensible but she was rather... uninspiring... this evening. Her answer to the black lad was piss poor. The answer could have been from the Labour Gov't 1997-2010. Was a good opportunity to talk about self reliance, aspiration, get a bit more ideological than she did - an opportunity missed.
    She sounded unwell to me. So hardly likely to be a blinding performance.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Fiorina – 33%
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 16%
    Carson – 8%
    Cruz – 5%
    Christie – 4%
    Bush – 4%
    Kasich – 3%
    Paul – 2%
    Walker – 2%
    Huckabee – 2%

And now, the losers:
    Paul – 32%
    Trump – 17%
    Kasich – 11%
    Bush – 9%
    Huckabee – 8%
    Walker – 6%
    Carson – 5%
    Fiorina – 4%
    Christie – 4%
    Cruz – 3%
    Rubio – 2%

Nobody is talking about Carson today, and Trump's coverage has turned negative. Take the two of them together, they are over 50%. Until that unwinds we won't know what the hell is going on.
    Indeed, but the mainstream media have never been pro Trump, outside of occasionally Fox, Trump has the money and name recognition for it not to affect his core support
  • Options
    Dair said:

Tim_B said:

Is the suspense for him selling them so cheap?
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/18/sports/soccer/top-fifa-executive-jerome-valcke-placed-on-leave.html?_r=0
  • Options
    Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

How very kind. I wasn't aware that the Scots drank water other than to make the Scotch go further.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

SeanT said:

McDonnell did quite well - given the baggage he was handling - until the very last bit when he blatantly lied about Corbyn being so "moved and distracted" by the WW2 memorial he just "forgot" to sing the national anthem.

That was a clear lie, he was called out on it, and the SCOTE looked decidedly shifty.

Will it move votes? No. Most people don't watch Question Time. They will simply see the BBC report which says the Shadow Chancellor had to apologise on air for comments supporting the IRA (the most read item on iBBC right now):

Labour are heading for a Michael Foot type defeat in 2020, minus the Scottish seats.

I think the lie on Corbyn singing the anthem helped expose the fact that the IRA crap was probably a lie too, given he used the exact same technique and tone of voice.
    It was the most transparent lie I have seen since Blair's last appearance on telly. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Fiorina – 33%
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 16%
    Carson – 8%
    Cruz – 5%
    Christie – 4%
    Bush – 4%
    Kasich – 3%
    Paul – 2%
    Walker – 2%
    Huckabee – 2%

And now, the losers:
    Paul – 32%
    Trump – 17%
    Kasich – 11%
    Bush – 9%
    Huckabee – 8%
    Walker – 6%
    Carson – 5%
    Fiorina – 4%
    Christie – 4%
    Cruz – 3%
    Rubio – 2%

Indeed, but the mainstream media have never been pro Trump, outside of occasionally Fox, Trump has the money and name recognition for it not to affect his core support
    You're clearly not watching the US news channels. They all give him lots of air time. He's ratings gold. It'll be interesting to see if that changes.

What we don't know is if his support is wide or deep.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    edited September 2015
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34281810
    "Edinburgh Council warns of 2,000 job cuts"
    I wonder if SNP are planning to use their new powers to stop this evil tory imposed austerity!!!
    They've avoided raising council tax for years and now it will really bite.
    The cynic in me really doubts it.

EDIT: Unison said councillors appeared to be considering privatisation of facilities management. Oh, that will go down well.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Fiorina – 33%
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 16%
    Carson – 8%
    Cruz – 5%
    Christie – 4%
    Bush – 4%
    Kasich – 3%
    Paul – 2%
    Walker – 2%
    Huckabee – 2%

And now, the losers:
    Paul – 32%
    Trump – 17%
    Kasich – 11%
    Bush – 9%
    Huckabee – 8%
    Walker – 6%
    Carson – 5%
    Fiorina – 4%
    Christie – 4%
    Cruz – 3%
    Rubio – 2%

Taking a net effect, that puts Fiorina as the clear winner at +29, and Rubio second at +14, with no-one else significantly positive. Biggest loser is Paul at -30, and Kasich at -8.

Trump at +4 is third, but that for him is a big loss.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Fiorina – 33%
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 16%
    Carson – 8%
    Cruz – 5%
    Christie – 4%
    Bush – 4%
    Kasich – 3%
    Paul – 2%
    Walker – 2%
    Huckabee – 2%

And now, the losers:
    Paul – 32%
    Trump – 17%
    Kasich – 11%
    Bush – 9%
    Huckabee – 8%
    Walker – 6%
    Carson – 5%
    Fiorina – 4%
    Christie – 4%
    Cruz – 3%
    Rubio – 2%

You're clearly not watching the US news channels. They all give him lots of air time. He's ratings gold. It'll be interesting to see if that changes.
    Well he leads virtually every poll for the GOP nomination so of course they have to give him news coverage, but that does not mean most of the commentators comment on him favourably
  • Options

Pauly said:

SeanT said:

It was the most transparent lie I have seen since Blair's last appearance on telly. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...
    It wasn't just the transparency of the lie, it was the utter stupidity of it.

He could have easily made a point about the national anthem being hard for a democrat to sing while admitting there's deeper issues and that Jezza is thinking hard about them (basically the Salmond point). But he didn't, he went and made up a stupid, obvious and destructive lie.

He had the audience eating out his hand and then completely blew it.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Fiorina – 33%
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 16%
    Carson – 8%
    Cruz – 5%
    Christie – 4%
    Bush – 4%
    Kasich – 3%
    Paul – 2%
    Walker – 2%
    Huckabee – 2%

And now, the losers:
    Paul – 32%
    Trump – 17%
    Kasich – 11%
    Bush – 9%
    Huckabee – 8%
    Walker – 6%
    Carson – 5%
    Fiorina – 4%
    Christie – 4%
    Cruz – 3%
    Rubio – 2%

Taking a net effect, that puts Fiorina as the clear winner at +29, and Rubio second at +14, with no-one else significantly positive. Biggest loser is Paul at -30, and Kasich at -8.

Trump at +4 is third, but that for him is a big loss.
    I have a totally unscientific and unsubstantiated point of view - even Heidi won't go there - that Trump peaked last night, and it's downhill for him from here.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pauly said:

SeanT said:

Yep. I saw that too. The faint and bogus stutter, the aw-shucks body language, the measured vowels with hints of emotion. It worked with the IRA thing, kind of, simply because the charge is so grave everyone felt pretty awkward and rather wanted to believe him, it looked ludicrous with the anthem explanation.

McDonnell is a lying c*nt and a very nasty piece of work.
    To have been so influential and key to the peace process presumably McDonnell was hand in glove with Blair and his advisors. Who knew?
  • Options
    Just watching QT from recording it earlier. Toksvig seems to be far to the left of anyone. Is she on to make McDonnell and Salmond seem centre ground?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Pauly said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-34281810
    "Edinburgh Council warns of 2,000 job cuts"
    I wonder if SNP are planning to use their new powers to stop this evil tory imposed austerity!!!
    They've avoided raising council tax for years and now it will really bite.
    The cynic in me really doubts it.

EDIT: Unison said councillors appeared to be considering privatisation of facilities management. Oh, that will go down well.

After 8 years of council tax freeze, the services from local government in Scotland are... identical to what they were 8 years ago (actually there is a good argument they are a lot better). The Council Tax freeze is excellent politics and has worked well, Scottish Local Government has never been so efficient.

Undoubtedly there are more savings to come. Well done Edinburgh council - sack those loafers.
  • Options
    USA: Fiorina is now at 4th place on betfair at 11. I do hope some PBers took my tip at 164/1 back in Feb.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

@StephenNolan 10m10 minutes ago
    Ian Paisley just told me on @bbc5live John McDonnell was given ultimatum by his senior lab colleagues 2apologise or he would be kicked out

I thought he was dead?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

notme said:

GIN1138 said:

I like the new politics of integrity and consistency as demonstrated by apologies and u turns! He had a menacing anger that will leak out often enough.

Actually what impresses me most about the Corbynistas is that they have repeated Dubyas Iraq war strategy. They have taken the capital and deposed the ruler, but have only the vaguest ideas about what to do next. No preparation or planning for the aftermath. Theirs too will be a squandered victory followed by chaos.

Interesting take on Corbyn from an impersonator:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p032r7vq
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    SeanT said:

Ian Paisley just told me on @bbc5live John McDonnell was given ultimatum by his senior lab colleagues 2apologise or he would be kicked out

Who would that be? Only Mr Corbyn is senior to SCotE, isn't he?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Actually Red Ed did far better in England & Wales than Foot did in '83.

Consider:

Foot's Scottish seats 41
    Foot's E & W seats 168

Ed's Scottish seats... um, 1
    but
    Ed's E & W seats 231
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

MaxPB said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

Are you sure about this? Where else can you get sausage that isn't sausage shaped, like Scotland?
    AS it doesn't have a skin it is able to absorb more fat from the deep frying. The shape is immaterial in this process
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Tim_B said:

HYUFD said:

Fiorina – 33%
    Trump – 21%
    Rubio – 16%
    Carson – 8%
    Cruz – 5%
    Christie – 4%
    Bush – 4%
    Kasich – 3%
    Paul – 2%
    Walker – 2%
    Huckabee – 2%

And now, the losers:
    Paul – 32%
    Trump – 17%
    Kasich – 11%
    Bush – 9%
    Huckabee – 8%
    Walker – 6%
    Carson – 5%
    Fiorina – 4%
    Christie – 4%
    Cruz – 3%
    Rubio – 2%

Well he leads virtually every poll for the GOP nomination so of course they have to give him news coverage, but that does not mean most of the commentators comment on him favourably
    The problem with your premise is that the corollary doesn't work - they don't do the same with Hillary.
  • Options
    Tony Blair more honest than McDonnel.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

And you guys sure know how to take advantage of that don't you. More of you down here than up there.
  • Options

notme said:

GIN1138 said:

"Peace has cost you your strength! Victory has defeated you!"
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited September 2015
    Sky News showing armed vigilantes in southern Hungary, endorsed by local mayors, 'diverting' migrants back to where they came.

Friendly enough, for the moment...
    http://www.dw.com/en/volunteers-and-vigilantes-watch-over-refugees-in-hungary/a-18677868
  • Options

Tim_B said:

MaxPB said:

Dair said:

TGOHF said:

Dair said:

AS it doesn't have a skin it is able to absorb more fat from the deep frying. The shape is immaterial in this process
    I am shocked I tell you. Shocked.

Wow - science in sausage shaping. Cool.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

SeanT said:

Who would that be? Only Mr Corbyn is senior to SCotE, isn't he?
    Could be a load of Labour grandees saying they'd threaten to use the nuclear option and resign from the party en masse if Corbyn didn't sack him. Corbyn would probably have to comply in those circumstances or his leadership really would be in tatters.
  • Options

Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

And you guys sure know how to take advantage of that don't you. More of you down here than up there.
    Blame Hadrian. Either the emperor or the paint.