Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » One year on from the Indyref: Why Scottish Independence mig

Comments

• Options

JWisemann said:

Surely the point here is that to make a decision to *not-conform* to the accepted public standard at a remembrance service is a stupid bit of self-indulgence.

Whether we personally agree with dressing in a relaxed manner is irrelevant. If you don't want to unnecessarily alienate your own base - don't do it.

The scruffians who voted for him wouldn't care that he wore matching jacket and trousers, did up his top button et al - but those for whom it does matter, it's disrespectful.

All politicians have a well of goodwill/honeymoon/give them a go during their first few weeks - Jezza is burning through his totally unnecessarily on stupidity.

kle4 said:

john_zims said:

@Jonathan

'Nah, the comment on buttons and dress code is both pathetic and out of date. Something out of a 1950's Debretts.'

Don't think your average voter let alone Worcester woman finds a leader that resembles a Tramp very inspiring.

Im sure they wouldn't, but Ihave to agree the attacks on Corbyn's style are a little overblown, as he doesn't look that bad, in fact he usually looks fine if a little informal at times for my own tastes.
    Stop virtue signalling you pathetic moron.
    Wisemann, if you want to be interviewed for the post of resident pb.com misogynist - you'll have to wear a suit and a tie. And do up your top button.
    Seems to be a familar pattern re-emerging.
  • Options

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/why-are-people-falling-for-john-mcdonnells-question-time-apology/

John McDonnell’s Question Time ‘apology’ was no such thing and I am amazed to see anybody for fall for it. It was obviously insisted upon by Labour party spin-doctors. But as the words themselves show, it was not an apology. Sure, he apologised for causing any offence or upset, but not for the fact that he was wholly and utterly wrong. And wrong not only to have praised people who spent three decades shooting people and planting bombs in public places but wrong on the facts too.
    Indeed I would like to know what exactly it was McDonnell thought was happening that meant that the peace process was likely to fall apart unless an obscure backbencher went out and praised IRA murderers. The claim is risible. He was praising the IRA because he had sympathy with them. It really is – as with Corbyn – as simple as that.

It's a tragedy for the people of the Middle East that Corbyn has been called away from the process before he could secure a lasting peace there.
  • Options

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2015/09/why-are-people-falling-for-john-mcdonnells-question-time-apology/

John McDonnell’s Question Time ‘apology’ was no such thing and I am amazed to see anybody for fall for it. It was obviously insisted upon by Labour party spin-doctors. But as the words themselves show, it was not an apology. Sure, he apologised for causing any offence or upset, but not for the fact that he was wholly and utterly wrong. And wrong not only to have praised people who spent three decades shooting people and planting bombs in public places but wrong on the facts too.
    All apologies should be "I'm sorry I..."

People avoid this 9 times out of 10.

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    JWisemann said:

Misogyny is hatred of females. I love females - I'm even related to a few, and have deigned to take one as my wife. I don't even hate Tories. I do find people who combine extremely glib and superficial opinions and haughty arrogance deeply irritating though, and I make no apologies for that. If you want I'll sit here and flag up a few male morons too. It shouldn't take long. I think your opinions (Jessop) are very misguided, but I wouldn't call you a moron because you don't sit here pasting up daily mail articles and calling people scruffians.

What pomposity, "Deigned" gives the game away.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Nabavi having a go at anyone for being in Panglossian mode has to rank amongst the most astonishing fits of chutzpah on a site that's riddled with it.

Be that as it may, he's right on the merits.
  • Options
    On USA betting front: Fiorina is now at 4th place on betfair at 10. I do hope some PBers took my tip at 164/1 back in Feb.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

Policies that in the main the public agree with, hence the focus on whether the bad man didn't sing a song.

It's odd that no far left party has cruised to power in that case. Can you explain why?
    Things like publically controlled public transport, as found under the far left administrations of Merkel and Thatcher, you mean? Corbyn's demeanour may be far out of the mainstream but his policies are moderate social democrat, unless you can point out anything that shows otherwise?
    Why has no far left party gained power in Britain, if as you assert, they have overwhelmingly popular policies?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I can't bring myself to endure QT - did he really claim that Jezzbollah didn't sing GSTQ because he *forgot* ?

Indeed I would like to know what exactly it was McDonnell thought was happening that meant that the peace process was likely to fall apart unless an obscure backbencher went out and praised IRA murderers. The claim is risible. He was praising the IRA because he had sympathy with them. It really is – as with Corbyn – as simple as that.

It's a tragedy for the people of the Middle East that Corbyn has been called away from the process before he could secure a lasting peace there.

• Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Things have come to a pretty pass when even sensible Labour supporters such as Jonathan are reduced to trying to convince themselves that Corbyn looking shifty and scruffy at a ceremony honouring those who gave their lives in the Battle of Britain doesn't matter politically. (And that's without even mentioning the national anthem stuff).

FWIW I haven't said it doesn't matter politically. Sadly it does. Nevertheless, I do think it's daft and over-egged by Tories who are having jolly good fun and enjoying some faux outrage. I would expect 'sensible' Tories like you to call that out for the fluff it is.

The anthem issue is more serious IMO. But it's the policies and track record that actually matter.

Not wearing a suit, not wearing the right sized shirt and not doing his tie up properly at a ceremony in which the country is honouring those who kept the Nazis at bay was tremendously disrespectful, not only to those who died, but also to the Labour party itself and the nine million plus people who voted Labour in May. Corbyn holds a position of tremendous responsibility - not only in terms of politics, but also symbolically.

As far as I can tell it was a suit and unless you're his tailor I am not sure you can really judge his shirt size. But yes, as endlessly discussed the button was undone.

The jacket and trousers were not matching, so it was not a suit. There was also a sizeable gap between his neck and the front of the collar on his shirt. That means the shirt was the wrong size. It would have been the easiest thing to pop down to M&S - or to send someone to do it - to get a suit and a decent shirt. Corbyn and none of his team thought it mattered.

I rather get the impression that Corbyn felt he'd already travelled a long way by trimming his beard and wearing some form of suit and putting on a tie anyway.

I doubt he gave the detail of the sartorials any thought at all.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Misogyny is hatred of females. I love females - I'm even related to a few, and have deigned to take one as my wife. I don't even hate Tories. I do find people who combine extremely glib and superficial opinions and haughty arrogance deeply irritating though, and I make no apologies for that. If you want I'll sit here and flag up a few male morons too. It shouldn't take long. I think your opinions (Jessop) are very misguided, but I wouldn't call you a moron because you don't sit here pasting up daily mail articles and calling people scruffians.

"I love females - I'm even related to a few, and have deigned to take one as my wife."

Wow. You married a woman, and that means you're not misogynistic!

"I don't even hate Tories."

That's good of you, and a sign of your undoubted saint-like forbearance.

"I think your opinions (Jessop) are very misguided"

And I think yours are nasty, misogynistic and frankly stupid.
  • Options

I can't bring myself to endure QT - did he really claim that Jezzbollah didn't sing GSTQ because he *forgot* ?

My jaw dropped at that. Shame no-one properly called him out on it (there was disagreement, but no-one said "do you think we were born yesterday?").
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

You made more on the mark when before the election you said PB Tories were living in a fantasy world for saying the Tories would get 300 plus MPs at the election.

Please tell us how many MPs the Tories ended up with
  • Options
    Well quite. I detest "I'm sorry if"

You're either apologising or you aren't. *If* implies it's all illegitimate.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Mr. Eagles, are you suggesting that might go viral?

Tsk - it's germ-based :)
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited September 2015
    john_zims said:

@Jonathan
    'As far as I can tell it was a suit and unless you're his tailor I am not sure you can really judge his shirt size. But yes, as endlessly discussed the button was undone.'
    Maybe you should give Specsavers a go ?

To be fair the black trousers accompanying the blue jacket were only apparent in the photos of Corbyn with his two goodybags of Costa freebies.
    Corbyn is as economical with his tailoring as his shadow chancellor is with the truth; the same trousers were worn at PMQs. It would appear that in constantly drawing attention to his trousers, Corbyn is determined to continue the analogy of the Whitehall Farce.
  • Options
    Why doesn't Sadiq Khan just sod off and join the Tories

Sadiq Khan, Labour’s candidate for mayor of London, has criticised the economic policies of John McDonnell, the new shadow chancellor, and has promised to govern the capital on an unashamedly pro-business platform.

Mr Khan, who beat Tessa Jowell, the Blairite former culture secretary, to the candidacy a week ago, said he wanted to be the “the most business-friendly mayor of all time”. He added that he was opposed to a new financial transactions tax and higher corporation tax, policies espoused by Mr McDonnell.

http://on.ft.com/1Yjq6fD
  • Options
    F1: pushed for time at the minute, so this race (and the next, which is only a week later) may have briefer than usual articles at enormo-haddock.blogspot.com

Still my plan to put them up, though.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

JWisemann said:

Surely the point here is that to make a decision to *not-conform* to the accepted public standard at a remembrance service is a stupid bit of self-indulgence.

Whether we personally agree with dressing in a relaxed manner is irrelevant. If you don't want to unnecessarily alienate your own base - don't do it.

The scruffians who voted for him wouldn't care that he wore matching jacket and trousers, did up his top button et al - but those for whom it does matter, it's disrespectful.

All politicians have a well of goodwill/honeymoon/give them a go during their first few weeks - Jezza is burning through his totally unnecessarily on stupidity.

kle4 said:

john_zims said:

@Jonathan

'Nah, the comment on buttons and dress code is both pathetic and out of date. Something out of a 1950's Debretts.'

Don't think your average voter let alone Worcester woman finds a leader that resembles a Tramp very inspiring.

Im sure they wouldn't, but Ihave to agree the attacks on Corbyn's style are a little overblown, as he doesn't look that bad, in fact he usually looks fine if a little informal at times for my own tastes.
    Wisemann, if you want to be interviewed for the post of resident pb.com misogynist - you'll have to wear a suit and a tie. And do up your top button.
    Seems to be a familar pattern re-emerging.
    ScouseSense™.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Sounds a bit David Brent to me: "how can I hate women? My mum's one."
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

The fact that you post this pathos of a response shows your own insecurity based upon your original point. Why defend something that - you consider - right and honest?

:other-than-being-a-[MODERATED}:
  • Options
    What made that so fascinating was it was left to Costa's PR team to save Corbyn from *stealing food from veterans* story.

No one from Labour jumped in to save them.

john_zims said:

@Jonathan
    'As far as I can tell it was a suit and unless you're his tailor I am not sure you can really judge his shirt size. But yes, as endlessly discussed the button was undone.'
    Maybe you should give Specsavers a go ?

To be fair the black trousers accompanying the blue jacket were only apparent in the photos of Corbyn with his two goodybags of Costa freebies.
    Corbyn is as economical with his tailoring as his shadow chancellor is with the truth; the same trousers were worn at PMQs. It would appear that in constantly drawing attention to his trousers, Corbyn is determined to continue the analogy of the Whitehall Farce.
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082

JWisemann said:

What pomposity, "Deigned" gives the game away.
    Yes, I was using it entirely unironically, obviously.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

You clearly can't understand irony either.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited September 2015

Sadiq Khan, Labour’s candidate for mayor of London, has criticised the economic policies of John McDonnell, the new shadow chancellor, and has promised to govern the capital on an unashamedly pro-business platform.

Mr Khan, who beat Tessa Jowell, the Blairite former culture secretary, to the candidacy a week ago, said he wanted to be the “the most business-friendly mayor of all time”. He added that he was opposed to a new financial transactions tax and higher corporation tax, policies espoused by Mr McDonnell.

I'm sure Zac would let him be the "most business-friendly deputy mayor of all time”. Big Tent and all that.
  • Options

JWisemann said:

You made more on the mark when before the election you said PB Tories were living in a fantasy world for saying the Tories would get 300 plus MPs at the election.

To be fair, even most PB Tories weren't expecting that either, along with 99% of the country.
    But yes, once in a blue moon, when something crops up that almost all commentators get wrong, I get something wrong. Not very often though.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

Policies that in the main the public agree with, hence the focus on whether the bad man didn't sing a song.

It's odd that no far left party has cruised to power in that case. Can you explain why?
    Things like publically controlled public transport, as found under the far left administrations of Merkel and Thatcher, you mean? Corbyn's demeanour may be far out of the mainstream but his policies are moderate social democrat, unless you can point out anything that shows otherwise?
    "Things like publically controlled public transport,"

That's an interesting point about the current privatised railway network. If anything, it is more under the control of the government than BR ever was, with the ORR and DfT exercising far more micro control over all sorts of matters.
  • Options
    saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

Why has no far left party gained power in Britain, if as you assert, they have overwhelmingly popular policies?
    OK, we have another moron. At least Plato appears to be able to read.
    *Crosses fingers saddened isn't female*
  • Options
    edited September 2015

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

That's an interesting point about the current privatised railway network. If anything, it is more under the control of the government than BR ever was, with the ORR and DfT exercising far more micro control over all sorts of matters.
    Note how I said 'publically controlled', not 'government controlled'.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Is that what your wife does every morning, along with the hoovering and washing-up?

Seriously: Change your tone. You have pretty wierd thought-processes but they add value to the site. :)
  • Options
    Sadly I'm busy this afternoon so won't be able to contribute but this afternoon's thread is an absolute humdinger.
  • Options

Sadly I'm busy this afternoon so won't be able to contribute but this afternoon's thread is an absolute humdinger.

Did JWisemann write it?
  • Options
    Alex Wickham @WikiGuido
    McDonnell "had no role whatsoever in the peace process" says Nigel Dodds: "These remarks were in 2003, the Belfast Agreement was in 1998"
  • Options

I'm sure Zac would let him be the "most business-friendly deputy mayor of all time”. Big Tent and all that.
    Do it Zac
  • Options
    Labour needs to think about a federal structure for the UK which must include organising and having candidates in NI as UK Labour,part of a federal structure of 10 regions,each with devolved status.In the immediate future never again can there be "Better Together" with the Tories.As far as Labour is concerned in any future indyref the Tories have ebola.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

Note how I said 'publically controlled', not 'government controlled'.
    So you would nationalise and reduce governmental control?
  • Options
    Can anyone throw informed light on this?

David Blevins
    @skydavidblevins
    BREAKING: NI Secretary announces assessment of structure, role and purpose of paramilitary organisations, reviewed by independent panel.
  • Options

Did JWisemann write it?
    I wish.
  • Options

My jaw dropped at that. Shame no-one properly called him out on it (there was disagreement, but no-one said "do you think we were born yesterday?").
    Is this a weakness in the spin operation? Can't believe there wasn't a "line" on this. And if this was the line, then it's not going to last long. Surely?

Excellent post. Very high "sense to words" ratio. Top job and quite agreed. I'd suggest politicians avoid it 9.99 times out of 10: "I'm sorry if" seems far more common.

Mentioned earlier but I only read this now. A good piece from Mark Urban, with interesting stats on those from Syria and the Balkans:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34270077

This is an excellent piece. Why couldn't we have more journalism like this over the migrant crisis? Urban's coverage is clearly not unsympathetic to migrants or refugees, but sticks to the issues and doesn't attempt to generate faux outrage. (One slight bone of contention: early on he correctly identifies that Albanian migrants will be a mix of Muslim and Christian, which makes it hard to identify the truth of the "predominant Muslim migration" claim. Later on he classes Albania - and Kosovo, another major source of migrants, by way of it being in the former Yugoslavia - in his list of "majority Christian or largely secular" countries. Most Kosovars and Albanians are at least nominally Muslim, though with a large Christian minority in Albania and both are indeed largely secular in the sense that few people there are particularly religious or view Islam as a key part of their personal or national identity. The situation is complicated by the fact that many of the migrants are actually Roma rather than ethnic Albanians. But trying to exclude ethnic Albanians from the "Muslim" figures reads a bit like a sleight of hand to kill the "Muslim migration" myth.)
  • Options

Did JWisemann write it?
    'Women, know your place' would be too controversial a topic.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,915
    edited September 2015

Because most Tories don't defend,let alone desire, different treatment for people according to ethnicity?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Plato_Says

'I can't bring myself to endure QT''

You missed McDonnell telling us what a crucial part he played in the Northern Ireland peace agreement.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited September 2015

JWisemann said:

Is that what your wife does every morning, along with the hoovering and washing-up?

Seriously: Change your tone. You have pretty wierd thought-processes but they add value to the site. :)
    Fluffy, I think that is the closest thing to a compliment I have ever seen you deliver on this site, particularly to someone who is not a natural political bedfellow. It didn't even require deciphering. You are getting soft with age.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Is anyone else having trouble with BT Yahoo Emails today?
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @flightpath01

'Corbyn is as economical with his tailoring'

Maybe just being badly advised by Ruth Kelly ?
  • Options

Is this a weakness in the spin operation? Can't believe there wasn't a "line" on this. And if this was the line, then it's not going to last long. Surely?
    It was actually worse than that - JMcD claimed JC had told him that "he normally sings it". Someone offered £50 on Twitter for footage of same; I doubt it will be claimed.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/how-to-apologize.htm

John Scalzi has a good take on apologies; I shall leave the link to your collectively mighty Google-fu.
  • Options
    Mr. Pete, carving England into seven regions is unacceptable.
  • Options
    :lol::open_mouth::lol:

It was actually worse than that - JMcD claimed JC had told him that "he normally sings it". Someone offered £50 on Twitter for footage of same; I doubt it will be claimed.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Oh I can. I just enjoy winding up posters that have such sparkling personalities as you do.
  • Options

Good grief. I thought JMcD had been doing politics for long enough to realise that would be a foot-in-mouth moment, if someone were to believe him that JC did normally sing the anthem then it makes his behaviour at the service appear even more disrespectful. When in hole and all that.

Parties like having solid, "trustworthy" folk who can front up in the media for them at different times, ones who will put the spade away. And preferably stick to the lines and divert attention from where it's currently embarrassingly focused. I wonder whether Labour currently have any suitable candidates for the job, at least on the front benches.
  • Options

:lol::open_mouth::lol:

'He normally sings it, but simply couldn't be arsed to do so at the memorial service'.
  • Options
    Lucy Powell :wink:

Good grief. I thought JMcD had been doing politics for long enough to realise that would be a foot-in-mouth moment, if someone were to believe him that JC did normally sing the anthem then it makes his behaviour at the service appear even more disrespectful. When in hole and all that.

Parties like having solid, "trustworthy" folk who can front up in the media for them at different times, ones who will put the spade away. And preferably stick to the lines and divert attention from where it's currently embarrassingly focused. I wonder whether Labour currently have any suitable candidates for the job, at least on the front benches.
  • Options

Dare we hope for something AV related?

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

You can't do it can you. It should be easy you must have masses of evidence on your side, as there's no way you'd just spout made up bollocks is their?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Whatever one things of McDonnell personally, he is a good public performer as evidenced by last night's QT.

He has the rare talent of making complete boll8cks seem quite plausible.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    The main apologies, not just in public life but particular there, are surely:

'I'm sorry I was caught' - regret not for what you did but that, people knowing about it, has caused you difficulty

'I'm sorry you are reacting this way' - sorry that the person feels offended, not acknowledgement that it was objectively offensive

'I'm sorry the situation is what it is' - apologising for the inconvenience caused by the furore over one's actions, not the action itself

Mr. Pete, carving England into seven regions is unacceptable.

Hear hear. I'm sure some other settlement to our constitutional mess could be figured out. Asymmetrical, fudged solutions are what Britain is all about, but I don't much like that particular one.
  • Options

That is scheduled for the weekend. It really is.

Hand the keys back to Mike on Monday, not long left now.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Jessop

"I love females - I'm even related to a few, and have deigned to take one as my wife."

And I think yours are nasty, misogynistic and frankly stupid."

You even manage to diminish a thread like this with your tediousness. Haven't you got any houses to sell?
  • Options

I'll write you a replacement thread. You should save the AV stuff until we have an election conducted under it. Might not be long.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Whatever one things of McDonnell personally, he is a good public performer as evidenced by last night's QT.

He has the rare talent of making complete boll8cks seem quite plausible.

McDonnell is actually quite a decent politician (much better than Corbyn) - his C4 interview and even last night's QT were smooth. He just has repellent and impractical views - and happily for us/unfortunately for him they've been committed to film and/or Hansard over many years.
  • Options
    saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

You can't do it can you. It should be easy you must have masses of evidence on your side, as there's no way you'd just spout made up bollocks is their?
    I clearly made the point that Corbyn's popular policies arent hard left, they are moderate social democrat. Moderate social democrats have often been elected, there just arent many about and we could do with more of them. Many of their policies are very popular. I'm not looking for hard left, I'd be more than happy with something like Blair's first term plus rail renationalisation and some sort of wealth tax. The current crop of so-called Blairites have been disowning practically everything his government originally stood on, hence why they are about as popular as rabies.
  • Options

Be still my beating heart.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Jessop

And I think yours are nasty, misogynistic and frankly stupid."

You even manage to diminish a thread like this with your tediousness. Haven't you got any houses to sell?

Wow. I thought you'd dropped this Jessop-is-an-estate-agent meme years ago.

I've always wondered which part of the deep and feeble recesses of your mind you dug that up from ...
  • Options

JWisemann said:

Fluffy, I think that is the closest thing to a compliment I have ever seen you deliver on this site, particularly to someone who is not a natural political bedfellow. It didn't even require deciphering. You are getting soft with age.
    Yes it was quite disarming, I must admit. Its actually made me slightly reconsider my behaviour. Maybe talking to your 'enemies' does work. Fluffy Thoughts as PB Tory's McDonnell? :) Disclaimer - I have not to my knowledge ever been a member of the IRA.
  • Options

I'll write you a replacement thread. You should save the AV stuff until we have an election conducted under it. Might not be long.
    Well you know I love your pieces and will dump my pieces for your works.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited September 2015
    JWisemann said:

kle4 said:

john_zims said:

@Jonathan

Mr Wiseman. I have only just read this in my lunch break and your insult to the lady is in response to a well set out list of points as to why dress style matters for front line politicians. Personally I am not upset by the scruff bag, I would not vote for him because I know what his past policies are. But a very large % of voters judge competence as important and how a person dresses as a key indicator. For your information, there are more people voting over 50 than under 50 and dress style matters to them. You think that argument wrong, fine that is your legitimate right to ignore the evidence. It does not "make you a moron"*, but neither does the opposite make them a "pathetic moron".

*aka God Save The Queen by S Ps for TSE
  • Options
    The *months ahead*... I do hope so http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2015/09/18/jeremy-corbyn-leadership-taken-over-by-former-ken-livingston
    In the coming days Corbyn is set to announce a new head of media. This will be a key appointment, given the widespread hostility to the new Labour leader among almost all major newspapers, not to mention the widespread hostility to the media among both Corbyn and his supporters.

Whatever happens, the next few months are unlikely to be plain-sailing for Corbyn. But after a rocky start there are signs that the ship may at least start to settle.
  • Options

Correlation =/= causation but I had to cleanse myself by visiting this site. :(
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

I clearly made the point that Corbyn's popular policies arent hard left, they are moderate social democrat. Moderate social democrats have often been elected, there just arent many about and we could do with more of them. Many of their policies are very popular. I'm not looking for hard left, I'd be more than happy with something like Blair's first term plus rail renationalisation and some sort of wealth tax. The current crop of so-called Blairites have been disowning practically everything his government originally stood on, hence why they are about as popular as rabies.

Unfortunately the mood music is hard-left, and British voters, who are generally small-c-conservative and deferential to authority, aren't going to vote for it, so you're not going to get rail renationalisation or some sort of wealth tax. You're going to get whatever George Osborne wants you to get, because he doesn't need to worry about losing the election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,104

Whatever happens, the next few months are unlikely to be plain-sailing for Corbyn. But after a rocky start there are signs that the ship may at least start to settle.

...on the seabed.

• Options
    Migrant update....

Co-worker coming in from Hong Kong reports ugly scenes at HK airport in form of massive Anzac P8ss up ahead of RWC.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

JWisemann said:

Unfortunately the mood music is hard-left, and British voters, who are generally small-c-conservative and deferential to authority, aren't going to vote for it, so you're not going to get rail renationalisation or some sort of wealth tax. You're going to get whatever George Osborne wants you to get, because he doesn't need to worry about losing the election.
    The public are right of Corbyn on welfare and immigration and inheritance tax and airstrikes on ISIS but they agree with him on rail and utility nationalisation and higher taxes on the rich
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I fully support the UKIP suggestion that 18th September be celebrated as Union Day.

Furthermore, this should be a bank holiday, celebrated always on the 18th (unless that be a Saturday or Sunday), not just moved to the nearest

When did they make that suggestion? I recall I, and no doubt many others,msuggesting itbwith varying levels of seriousness a year ago. It was funnier when I allowed my surprise at a No win to consider if the issue might be settled for a little while at least. Really it's something we should have had a long time ago, but it's probably way too late now.
    I think a 'UK' day is not a bad idea (as public holidays go) - it could be a day to be spent exploring the UK, whether our own patch or visiting one of the other home nations.
  • Options
    Some very funny ''McDonnell facts'' now on twitter....
  • Options
    Who's in charge? http://order-order.com/2015/09/18/shock-labour-back-cut-in-corporation-tax/
    David Gauke

Pleased that Labour supported the cut in corporation tax to 18% in today's Finance Bill debate. Anyone told the Shadow Chancellor?
    7:00 PM - 17 Sep 2015
  • Options

JWisemann said:

We'll have to wait and see what happens. First priority was rebooting the labour party, it was destined for a drawn out death under the zombie hordes that were running it. Better to apply the electroshock treatment. I just want to make sure a genuinely social democratic labour party are waiting in the wings when the Tories inevitably f*ck up, which is going to happen at some point. Corbyn will probably be long gone by that point, but hopefully having left room for labour to decide it has a heart and purpose again, and hopefully policies can get the focus rather than media gossip.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    taffys said:

Migrant update....

Co-worker coming in from Hong Kong reports ugly scenes at HK airport in form of massive Anzac P8ss up ahead of RWC.

Are they crying 'God is great', whilst throwing stones and threatening to burn down the airport if they're not fed more culturally diverse food such as Pie Floaters and 'fush and chups'?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited September 2015

...on the seabed.

... and then start dredging.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    TSE - If you're looking for a piece on AV I can go one better and give you one on a real-life STV election - the Irish election is coming up in the next few months and, if it's like last time, will provide some great betting opportunities.
  • Options

TSE - If you're looking for a piece on AV I can go one better and give you one on a real-life STV election - the Irish election is coming up in the next few months and, if it's like last time, will provide some great betting opportunities.

Ooh, would love that.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

To be fair, even most PB Tories weren't expecting that either, along with 99% of the country.
    But yes, once in a blue moon, when something crops up that almost all commentators get wrong, I get something wrong. Not very often though.
    sounds like a mcdonnell acceptance
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

We'll have to wait and see what happens. First priority was rebooting the labour party, it was destined for a drawn out death under the zombie hordes that were running it. Better to apply the electroshock treatment. I just want to make sure a genuinely social democratic labour party are waiting in the wings when the Tories inevitably f*ck up, which is going to happen at some point. Corbyn will probably be long gone by that point, but hopefully having left room for labour to decide it has a heart and purpose again, and hopefully policies can get the focus rather than media gossip.
    Most voters do not want socialism recognise the books need to be balanced and may vote for higher taxes on the rich but want tax cuts for themselves
  • Options

Ooh, would love that.
    I'll see what I can do. Maybe a general introduction first and then later something more specific on the betting.
  • Options
    @DavidRoe92: Surprised no Labour MP has defected to Lib Dems yet. Could be leader in 18 months
  • Options

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

There is something I need to address. I often give tips on this site, always with the best of intentions. But if anyone has lost money as a result - and clearly some have - then that is of course a cause for huge regret. I'm truly saddened by it. But if I hadn't given the tips, then perhaps the bookmakers would not have offered such markets in future. If just one more market were offered, then maybe my losing tips were worth it. But I will take your criticism on board and only tip winners in the future. Thank you.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Sturgeon

chortle.
  • Options
    :wink: CLAPS :wink:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

There is something I need to address. I often give tips on this site, always with the best of intentions. But if anyone has lost money as a result - and clearly some have - then that is of course a cause for huge regret. I'm truly saddened by it. But if I hadn't given the tips, then perhaps the bookmakers would not have offered such markets in future. If just one more market were offered, then maybe my losing tips were worth it. But I will take your criticism on board and only tip winners in the future. Thank you.
  • Options

Ooh, would love that.
    I'll see what I can do. Maybe a general introduction first and then later something more specific on the betting.
    That's splendid
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

The public are right of Corbyn on welfare and immigration and inheritance tax and airstrikes on ISIS but they agree with him on rail and utility nationalisation and higher taxes on the rich
    But when you're off on two thirds of policies, you don't get elected and don't get to implement the third of popular policies you do like.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Most voters do not want socialism recognise the books need to be balanced and may vote for higher taxes on the rich but want tax cuts for themselves
    I don't want socialism either - I want an effective, modern, civilised country where private entrepreneurship does what it does best, but devolved and responsive democratic bodies rather than the transnational super-wealthy control essential public services, and the ability of money to buy power is strictly limited to avoid a descent into despotism.

Also wealth taxes to avoid accumulation of assets and soften the rentier economy.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

Rail nationalisation may possibly be popular but it has no saliance. How many times was transport discussed at the election? None as I recall.

I would suggest drawing a grid with 2 axes "popular/unpopular and "important/unimportant"

The problem Lab had at the last election is that the economy and immigration were both in the important and unpopular quadrant. On other issues like health and education, Lab was popular but these were relatively less important.

If Lab is to do well next time then it needs to tackle the important/unpopular quadrant either by coming up with more popular policies or making this area less salient. It also needs to try and make policies in the popular/unimportant quadrant more salient
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

Printing money to pay for infrastructure, wealth taxes and financial transaction taxes are not social democrat. Social democrats typically have workable (albeit not optimal) economic plans.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

kle4 said:

I fully support the UKIP suggestion that 18th September be celebrated as Union Day.

Furthermore, this should be a bank holiday, celebrated always on the 18th (unless that be a Saturday or Sunday), not just moved to the nearest

When did they make that suggestion? I recall I, and no doubt many others,msuggesting itbwith varying levels of seriousness a year ago. It was funnier when I allowed my surprise at a No win to consider if the issue might be settled for a little while at least. Really it's something we should have had a long time ago, but it's probably way too late now.
    I think a 'UK' day is not a bad idea (as public holidays go) - it could be a day to be spent exploring the UK, whether our own patch or visiting one of the other home nations.
    Not a bad idea. I am 56 and I've never been to Northern Ireland.

Perhaps UK schools should as part of the curriculum for all students, be required to arrange school trips to each of the other 3 Home Countries at some point in years 10-13 of their schooling. That would amount to about one school trip per year, but at least would guarantee that all schoolchildren in the UK had visited all the Home Countries at least once before becoming adults.
  • Options
    What a good/sensible idea. Never been to NI either.
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

Not a bad idea. I am 56 and I've never been to Northern Ireland.

Perhaps UK schools should as part of the curriculum for all students, be required to arrange school trips to each of the other 3 Home Countries at some point in years 10-13 of their schooling. That would amount to about one school trip per year, but at least would guarantee that all schoolchildren in the UK had visited all the Home Countries at least once before becoming adults.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited September 2015

Roger said:

I wonder if there is any other nation in Europe or even the world who are quite as petty as the Englsh? It's the price we pay for having a right-wing foreign owned media with a financial interest in keeping the population embroiled in trivia.

'Was the apology he gave for something he said twelve years ago sincere'?....leading the news

'Did he correctly fasten the top button on his shirt at Remembrance Day'?.....led the news for a day

'Did his lips move during the national anthem'?....led the news for four days

Meanwhile we have the biggest refugee crisis the world has seen since the war and the only way you get accurate news is to visit the dark net

It's frankly pathetic

Have you ever been to France ?
    I think Roger understands the French as little as he does the English.
  • Options
    JEO said:

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

But when you're off on two thirds of policies, you don't get elected and don't get to implement the third of popular policies you do like.
    Agreed
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Post of the day!
  • Options
    JEO said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

saddened said:

JWisemann said:

Printing money to pay for infrastructure, wealth taxes and financial transaction taxes are not social democrat. Social democrats typically have workable (albeit not optimal) economic plans.
    FTTs have been proposed by the centre-right dominated European Commission.
    Pumping money into the economy at a time where there is a serious threat of deflation is not really a hard left position either.
    It's arguable as to whether Land Value Tax is a wealth tax but it is certainly in the same ballpark, and an idea with supporters across the political spectrum.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

I don't want socialism either - I want an effective, modern, civilised country where private entrepreneurship does what it does best, but devolved and responsive democratic bodies rather than the transnational super-wealthy control essential public services, and the ability of money to buy power is strictly limited to avoid a descent into despotism.

Also wealth taxes to avoid accumulation of assets and soften the rentier economy.
    Spending money has nothing to do with winning elections otherwise Romney would have won and unions spend a lot too. Voters will not vote to raise their own taxes and spend too much whatever funding limits imposed
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2015
    JWisemann said:

HYUFD said:

JWisemann said:

JWisemann said:

Is a pension "an accumulation of assets"? Some of us might want to accumulate various assets for reasons of personal long term security precisely because it might give us a degree of wiggle room from loons taking over the Govt. Should Jezza, for instance, get anywhere near the reins of power, I shall be taking active steps to convert what the hell I can into foreign assets precisely because I do not trust the sods.